Lost Forums

ABC (ended 2010)

What is the MIB's name?

ania_ashby

[1]May 26, 2010
    • level: 9

That's all I want to know.

Please!

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

shan73

[2]May 26, 2010
    • level: 5
    Nobody knows his name...neither the actors nor the fans!
    His mum never gave him a name!!

osacattack

[3]May 26, 2010
    • level: 1
    Actually, I just read that answer to that. They said in the original script, it would have been revealed that his name was Samuel, but they decided at the last minute to leave it mysterious and unknown. Personally, I prefer it that way. Man in Black just sounds bada**.

steffi_totti

[4]May 26, 2010
    • level: 9
    I'm glad they did not include the name. MIB does not seem like a Samuel.

SnarkBC

[5]May 26, 2010
    • level: 8

I don't understand this line of thinking. Why is his name important? There's about a million mysteries that need to be addressed, a characters name does not equate a mystery, because it doesn't matter to the story.

OOsteb

[6]May 26, 2010
    • level: 5

Gee, I thought ( according to the finale) that the show was all about the Characters. I guess MIB wsn't a character.Wink

SnarkBC

[7]May 26, 2010

Don't be stupid on purpose, it's not becoming.

Whatever his name is, he sure went out like a punk. Not exactly the end of the great smoke monster I envisioned.

cindycee

[8]May 26, 2010
    i think i find titus welliver a lot more attractive when they just call him the man in black. definitely gives him the bad boy image! better than bob or frank or even (blah) esau.

sputnik2121

[9]May 26, 2010
    • level: 7

OOsteb wrote:

Gee, I thought ( according to the finale) that the show was all about the Characters. I guess MIB wsn't a character.Wink

LaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughing

cowboy2831

[10]May 26, 2010
    • level: 15

The real reason there was so much killing involving MIB/Smokey wasn't because he wanted to leave the Island. It was because no one ever bothered to give him a name.

porky826

[11]May 26, 2010
    • level: 4
    Yeah his name was Sam. There was no way people would've been happy with that if they revealed it in the show. I think leaving him simply as the Man in Black makes him a much more interesting and mysterious character.

curtislost23

[12]May 26, 2010
    • level: 18

porky826 wrote:
    Yeah his name was Sam. There was no way people would've been happy with that if they revealed it in the show. I think leaving him simply as the Man in Black makes him a much more interesting and mysterious character.

I agree. MIB is a lot more intriguing

lostfan111

[13]May 26, 2010
    • level: 6
    Mr. Smokey

DarkManiaN_1979

[14]May 26, 2010
    • level: 7
    I agree that leaving his name out of the loop was something that enhanced the mystery, and that never revealing it wasn't an issue for the story arc. MIB FTW

alphashade

[15]May 26, 2010
    • level: 1

His original name was samuel but that was only the persona name not really fully decided. Anyway the people who complain about his name don't understand the name itself.

We didn't know it at the time when the character was introduced, but the creators of lost apparently had a religion vs science philosophy they wanted to have apart of the series. The names of some characters are hints to this.

Christian Shepherd(Get it, they joked about his name in the series finale), Jacob and Samuel being one of the key names.

Samuel could possible be attributed to Samael, the Archangel. Anyone who knows of this archangel saw many parallels between Samael and The Man in Black. Though its important to understand that Samael(the archangel) is described differently from one religion to the next. In one religion, he is the ultimate destroyer and the corrupter. In another, He is simply a archangel but one who seems to wants more freedom from god and to be among the humans. Many of the Archangels are very different "people" in different religions. Azrael is the archangel of death in one religion, in another he is the archangel of life and constantly goes to the abyss to save those who lost their way and brings them back to god. In another religion, Azrael is chained to heaven forced to toil with the book of life. Forever locked to service because he is the only one who posses the power of death itself... so he can not be trusted to roam alone, and must be imprisoned.

That said, you can see how religion gets complicated.

Anyway;

The biggest thing that irritated the hell out of me is that they never explained the black smoke. They never explained if Samuel was still Samuel. They never explained WHY this smoke monster came to be, was it down there all along just looking for a soul to possess?

They never explained why he couldn't change form in front of people. Or why he didn't change form when he was being attacked by Jack. He could have kicked Jacks butt by changing form, but he didn't... Was he simply arrogant enough to think he didn't need to?

The Man in Black was killed off like a character who they didn't care about. He was the single most important character in the entire series. Yet he was killed off like it wasn't a big deal. The name is unimportant. Is the smoke monster a entity? Or a result of Samuel trying to be killed? Or is it as I said something that was down there just waiting to get out. Samuel died, that is clear... His body decomposed. So then who is the person who erupted out of the cave?

Its understood that he was going to have to die, thats for sure. But at least before killing him, do him the justice to explain to us the most obvious things we wanted to know(what the smoke monster is, why he is the smoke monster, is he still samuel, if he is not samuel then who is he really).

They decided it simply wasn't important enough to explain. Or the explanation that jacob attempted to kill him creating this other form of Samuel.. Was a good enough reason...

For a series that was entirely based on mysteries, I would have liked to know more about the most important one since Season 1. The answer that "The smoke monster is Sam who was killed by jacob", doesn't really answer it. If he was killed by jacob, then what was walking around the island and turning into black smoke. Was that him too?

I realize that if that is in fact the answer, I simply don't accept it. But maybe because if that is truly the answer, then its rushed and actually somewhat stupid of an answer and really don't answer the question. If pushing him down the hole made him the smoke monster, then what was down there that did it? Did the light turn his soul into a smoke monster and freed him giving him life again as another form? If thats the answer, its not told to us. Our answer was Jacob pushed him down, accept it. Thats all the answer you'll get.

In the end they could just use the reasoning they gave for everything else . "Electromagnetism did it". They used the Excuse that Electromagnetism did pretty much everything else so I guess that works too.

You could use the excuse that no one knew anything. Jacob didn't know why the smoke monster came to be. He didn't know why there were egyptian buildings on the Island. He didn't know anything. But that would be the absolute ultimate cop out. To say that no characters understand anything and thus, they can't explain something they don't know. That a lazy excuse, but an excuse that actually works...

Its just sad that such creativity go to waste with a simple cop out. I kind of expected more from these guys. But I read that they screwed over their last series, Alias, by doing similar things like they did to this series. So I guess they are just great at creating a series, keeping it going, but absolutely fail at ending it. But lets be honest, they are still great writers at the end of the day and I thoroughly enjoyed the series even though I disliked the ending. I still liked the rest of the series so its all good and that's all that matters right?

Edited on 05/26/2010 8:55pm
    Edited 5 total times.

ajokurvanyad

[16]May 27, 2010

MiB is the stupidest name that could catch on,my opinion.there's nothing badass about a name that reminds you of the fresh prince

aidorrocks

[17]May 28, 2010
    • level: 10
    ajokurvanyad wrote:

MiB is the stupidest name that could catch on,my opinion.there's nothing badass about a name that reminds you of the fresh prince

i agree and have always refused to call him MIB. i've always just refered to him as smokey. i also think if they had've told us instead of making it mysterious then it would've been alright. if he had brought it up when talking to richard (about jacob stealing his body etc) then it would've been fine. i would refer to him as samuel from now on, but i'd probably have to continually explain it.

of all the unexplained mysteries, this one rates low for me.

ajokurvanyad

[18]May 28, 2010

to me he was first nemesis,then big smoke(in da buildin,it just sounds better),jacob's brother(easiest) and finaly reading up on him samuel.

Torzhestvuyushe

[19]Jun 2, 2010
    • level: 11

SnarkBC wrote:

Don't be stupid on purpose, it's not becoming.

Whatever his name is, he sure went out like a punk. Not exactly the end of the great smoke monster I envisioned.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that. His death was so "meh". I was expecting more from someone who has been waiting TWO THOUSAND YEARS to do this...

Oh well.

And yeah, his name was Samuel, which was written into the script originally, but was later taken out.

buildam2005

[20]Jun 2, 2010
    • level: 14

Here's why he didn't become smoke to fight Jack: because the writers had to have Jack survive and win in order to make their lovey-dovey ending. It was a weak, inexplicable choice on their part. Smokey was clearly not "stuck" looking like Locke; he turned back into the smoke on multiple occasions, so that doesn't work.

Now, some might argue that it has something to do with the fact that the stupid rock was pulled out of the stupid well which turned off the stupid light, and for some reason made the smoke monster human. However, sans any real evidence from the show or any further explanation in the show of how the smoke monster and the light are connected, this is purely speculation.

Did I mention, by the way, that I also found that whole fight sequence stupid?