Lost Forums

ABC (ended 2010)

What was the island?

DARKANGEL_42

[1]May 29, 2010
    • level: 2

The last big question really. The most interesting idea I have heard is that some sort of being created the island, around the time of the Egyptians perhaps due to the hieroglyphs. That they put all the evil in the world and buried it in the island, then used some of the worlds goodness to seal in the evil.

Others have apparetnly looked at the markings on the stone "cork" and found out this "The runes on the cork were in enochian script. a sort of language of angels,A proto-proto hebrew: the highest order of angels who have animal heads -Egyptian gods-"

So what does anybody else think? Or does it even matter, is what the island stands for more important than where it came from?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Omnia87

[2]May 29, 2010

I've already made a whole thread trying to explain my discontent with the show's ending, so I don't intend to go around the entire board and rain on everyone's parade. Still, this is a 'discussion' board, so I don't see anything wrong with challenging your idea with fair arguments.

Personally I don't think there was a hidden meaning of the Island. The writers didn't go into it at least, and I think that if they really had a good and interesting explanation, they'd do anything to work it in there. If the producers of Lost are good at one thing it's dramatic delivery, and if they had a definitive idea about more intricate purposes of the Island, they wouldn't fail to bring it to the screen. I just think it's a little too easy to put hieroglyphs on some object to make it look mysterious, so I wouldn't read too much into it if I were you.

However, IF there was some bigger explanation, it would definitely be Egypt related.

MrDouglas

[3]May 29, 2010
    • level: 5

Well, according to Richard, Jacob actually told him "what the island is.", didn't he? Let's hope for this answer to be included on the dvd release of season six, I guess

motleylil

[4]May 29, 2010
    • level: 19

At the center of the island there is a light that is to be protected at all cost. I have been labeled stupid for saying so a few times already, but that's all I need to know to understand what the story is about. I don't need to know what the light really is, who put it there, what would happen if it went out. I just need to know that it's there and that it has to be protected.

anthem47

[5]May 29, 2010
    • level: 6

Yeah my mind goes two ways about what the island is. I've mentioned them both on these boards already, but I'll reiterate and condense because I like talking about Lost =P

First theory taps into the whole Gaia myth. The Source is the heart of life on the planet, it's beneath the planet and also inside us all. The island itself is relatively normal, but it's also where the Source pokes to the surface. In this scenario, the Protector was always there. The Protector is a "function" of the Source in a way, not only do they draw their powers from it but they exist because of it.

Second theory is mostly the one you mentioned, that the island was created centuries ago as a "container" for the evil of the world. The timeline is hard to work out though. I'm downright fascinated by that hieroglyph panel underneath the Temple that shows Anubis summoning the smoke monster. I'm not sure if that predates MIB and Jacob, which is really interesting, or they came later and worshipped MIB (or summoned him and tried to destroy him?).

SnarkBC

[6]May 29, 2010
    • level: 8

I disagree that you don't need to know what would happen if the light went out. I think that's VERY important to the drama and tension of the story to have understandable stakes.

motleylil

[7]May 29, 2010
    • level: 19

SnarkBC wrote:

I disagree that you don't need to know what would happen if the light went out. I think that's VERY important to the drama and tension of the story to have understandable stakes.

Well, I agree that you have to have some sense of what would happen, which we did get, but as to defining clearly what he would do in an exact an precise matter is not very useful to the story. But, yeah, I agree that you have to be able to understand what the stakes are. I feel like they did.

Edited on 05/29/2010 8:22pm

anthem47

[8]May 29, 2010

I thought that was addressed? In Across The Sea, Mother says that the light is inside every living thing and that man's attempts to get more of it could put it out and "if the light goes out here, it goes out everywhere", something along those lines. If the light is life, death and rebirth, it's inside me, and putting it out means the light inside me goes out, I think it's fair to say that's bad. I like to be alive.

ajokurvanyad

[9]May 30, 2010
    • level: 4

dumb it down then but explain the light's nature if that's what makes the island so special.the light goes out here and everywhere cuz people are lightbulbs is to much of a far-fetched explanation to be widely accepted.can we agree that the main mystery needs to be widely accepted?

Omnia87

[10]May 30, 2010

Actually I didn't mind the abstract idea of the light that much. But what I found strange was how, when Desmond turned off the light, it didn't turn off in everything else. I mean, if there was some light in every man, and the light turned off, wouldn't that have consequence for every individual in that world? That's what bothered me a lot, what's this light inside us? Is it our morality? Our life force? Cause if it's turned off, that would make everyone either dead or 'evil'. Right?

DARKANGEL_42

[11]May 30, 2010

Unless you have to turn all the light off, by that I mean whatever is underneath that "cork". it was fire or energy or something, although all powers seemed to stop and smokey was mortal. It may have to do with water and the light working together. MiB said he would use the wheel to mix the light with water to get himself off the island. Desmond told Jack it was "some sort of drain" and even when jack put the rock back in it did nothing for a while. it wasn't until the water flowed back into the pool that the light shone and he was teleported out, and we assume everything went back to normal.

THis kind of fits with another theory I have heard, that the island was always there, and had some power perhaps, but that an ancient culture drilled down (MiB said people have been digging holes for a while) and drilled too far causing some fort of disaster, that they tried to fix with the rock and the pool. I guess we may never know exactly what the producers had in mind(if anything specific), but the fact we are all here talking about it means that their ending "worked" in as much as it will continue to make us think. Shame they went to so much trouble with episodes like Across the Sea but still left a lot of stuff really vague.

ajokurvanyad

[12]May 30, 2010

DARKANGEL_42 wrote:

THis kind of fits with another theory I have heard, that the island was always there, and had some power perhaps, but that an ancient culture drilled down (MiB said people have been digging holes for a while) and drilled too far causing some fort of disaster, that they tried to fix with the rock and the pool.

so the cork is kinda like the ancient version of the hatch?that would make up for the stupid simplicity of its design.

i've been reading a lot about how the island is as old as the ancient egyptian civilazation cuz of the hieroglifss but those are only the man made structures on the island.that can only prove how long man's been steping foot on the island.the age of the island itself can not be determined from what we were given.

another thing i've seen in a lot of posts is this gaia thing,these old old beliefs about the sorroundings and life itself and the their presence in the show.i don't understand why they were put in the show(well the last seasons at least).are they trying to make it appealing to past cultures?do they want to sell it back in time??!wtf?we've long moved passed these outdated ideas

skrappyxn

[13]May 30, 2010
    • level: 7
    Since there's a type of purgatory and an obvious afterlife, how about the island being placed there by a higher being, i.e. god and the Garden of Eden. The "god" created a life force for the planet on the island, and this is where/how life on the planet began. The source of the life force is in the island and the life on the island is able to branch off the island and on to the continents, which could have even been connected ala Pangaea. The "light" or "life force" of the island could even be the being that placed it there since the island seemed to be alive and able to manipulate things. So throughout the millennia, various civilizations have discovered the island and it's marvels. Some visitors were good and some were bad, but one group realized that someone had to protect the island, so after generations of worship/rituals, they discovered how to properly transfer certain powers from the island and thus designated a protector. Those people were taken over (except the guardian who only interferes when there is trouble to the "light"), and there were more good and bad people coming and going, landing by accident or when the island or protector make them come.

The smoke monster didn't release evil into the world or anything like that, he was created because Jacob's brother couldn't die, and the hatred inside of him for his "mother" and revenge for his people manifested and created the smoke monster... Sorry for the length, but I'm sure everyone understands how Lost can lead to endless ramblings.

SnarkBC

[14]May 30, 2010

How did the establish the stakes? We learn that Jacob thinks that the light going out is bad because his insane mother told him so. We're literally basing all of our information on the most unreliable narrator possible. Not only that, but what does the light goes out MEAN? We don't have any idea what that suggests, we just have the vague ramblings of an insane woman. Does the light going out mean infection? That seems like the most obvious explanation. The monster snuffs out the "Soul" of a person. It's a really neat idea, and could have been really cool. But the portrayal of the infection sucks. Sayid was kind of bummed and numb, and then he thought about Nadia and love, and then he decided to regrow his soul? Rubbish. That means that the stakes are "If the light goes out, every one is infected the world over." Unfortunately that means NOTHING because infection was apparantly easily beaten by the power of love.If thelight going out means infection, then the show absolutely failed in the execution. Claire? I refuse to beleive Claire was "infected" at all, she certainly didn't act it, just a little crazy from being alone so long.

fnlheroes

[15]Jun 9, 2010

How about the island is just a regular island that just so happens to be under electromagnetic radiation?

Oziez

[16]Jun 10, 2010

the only thing that would happen if the light went out was the island would sink, the storm in "The End" was proof that the island was going under. The main threat would be that MIB could leave, however since he was turned human i dont really see the problem with that.

SnarkBC

[17]Jun 11, 2010

The Island was literally the Well Of Souls. They changed around some minor aspects, but ultimately that's what it is.

ajokurvanyad

[18]Jun 11, 2010

SnarkBC wrote:

I refuse to beleive Claire was "infected" at all, she certainly didn't act it, just a little crazy from being alone so long.

she put an axe through a dudes chest!!!that's not "just a little crazy".

what the hell was that whole infection thing about?what were these people infected with?how did claire get it?from what they've shown it was the water in the temple that caused it when they revived people with it(ben,sayid).and the cure for it is suicide?so the person who is mortaly injured can be cured in the water so he can come out numb and come to terms with his death and kill himself??!what's the point?

SnarkBC

[19]Jun 11, 2010

My understanding of the infection is this. The monster was created via direct exposure to the light, becoming a sort of anti light, if you will. When Sayid got infected, that meant that the monster snuffed out the light within him, the light we all have inside of us. Pretty much the soul. Without a soul Sayid can't feel joy or emotion. I think the best understandable comparison I can think of is Pet Cemetery.

"A body walking around with out a soul isn't life. Sometimes, dead is better."

Which is a cool idea. The monster snuffs out your light, and you become his slave, a souless husk. Unfortunately the effects of the infection are totally and utterly undermined by the show itself. Desmond essentially shames Sayid back into being a good guy and I guess... Reigniting his soul, which of course we don't get to see other than that short conversation with Desmond and then grabbing the bomb. Claire I guess had a girl chat with Kate and her desire for her son and the power of love makes her okay again... I guess.

But it's so poorly explored and defined that the infection almost seems like no big deal at all. Your soul got snuffed out? No problem! Focus on the power of love and you'll grow it back! What a bunch of silly bull, especially considering French Ladies husband Robert was willing to kill her and his child in cold blood in season 5. That was such an interesting and cool concept. This mysterious infection makes people evil, but unlike zombies, they can think and plan and use emotions against you. Guess not.

pilouuuu2004

[20]Jun 13, 2010
    • level: 5
    For me the light is some sort of Garden of Eden. The origin of life on Earth. And at the same time it is some sort of Nexus to the afterlife. A place that is in-between time and space and death and life.