Lost Forums

ABC (ended 2010)

What was the island?

IanBorg0

[21]Jun 14, 2010
    • level: 4

I think that the main problem with the show was not the finale as such, but they probably made the mistake of dividing the mythology stuff and the scientific stuff into different seasons. I think that most of the answers as to what the island is lie in season 5 actually. It may be some sort of egyptian-gaia-origin of life-evil vs good- stuff, but I think most of it is about sci-fi.

I am no scientist but I think the last few episodes have shown that the multiple universe theory is probably the closest to the true answer. The electromagnetic light and the island itself acts as some sort of force that keeps the universes from colliding to the point of their own destruction. When you remove the "cork" the light is released and the force keeping them intact is released with devastating consequences. Maybe in mathematical terms the island is a string of variables that keep all universes in harmony, with the constant being obviously desmond.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

SnarkBC

[22]Jun 14, 2010
    • level: 8

There isn't any evidence of other universes though. The show went out of its way to make us believe we were watching another universe, and it wasn't. In Lost there is only one universe. The island is the well of souls. Plain and simple, they really haven't left much wiggle room for interpretation. It's a place where the magical light that represents our souls aka our life gathers before it can pass onto the after life. The island IS purgatory. That's the irony, all the people who guessed it was purgatory were right, but instead of dying and ending up on the island, you die and then you end up in your imaginary made up purgatory that you create using the islands power.

Lux22

[23]Jun 14, 2010
    • level: 6
    DARKANGEL_42 wrote:

I guess we may never know exactly what the producers had in mind(if anything specific), but the fact we are all here talking about it means that their ending "worked" in as much as it will continue to make us think. Shame they went to so much trouble with episodes like Across the Sea but still left a lot of stuff really vague.

I guess it is one version of "working". It only means that you can work peoples imagination and excitement up with a really good start to a story and then just end it abruptly and badly and if/when people talk about this you have achieved what you wanted. Although I think that many people prefer to talk about something that was amazingly good from beginning till end. That is, in my opinion, when a job like this "has worked". I think that the island can not be the repository of "evil", of course depending on how you define it, as there is a lot of "evil" in the lostiverse still. Nothing about the island was answered really. The thing that most annoys me is that the producers promised that they had the whole story written and thought out and that there was an explanation for everything AND that they were not in purgatory...and then the last year of flashes are IN purgatory...ridiculous.

ionee24

[25]Jun 21, 2010
    • level: 32
    Then again, the island itself was NOT Purgatory, so they got that one right and the final scene, with Jack closing his eyes with Vincent resting by his side as he's dying, is the perfect mirror to the first scene of the pilot when Jack opens his eyes for the first time on the island and follows Vincent as he passed by his side.

The writers always knew Lost was going to end with Jack dying, the actor always knew that death was going to occur on the exact same spot as the character woke up in the pilot episode and the transition to the sideways was because Lost always was about faith and science so you couldn't end the show without faith after you covered science. The scar on his side and the cut on his neck being the clues that told us how Jack was going to die on the season premiere of the 6th season.

ajokurvanyad

[26]Jun 21, 2010
    @ionee
    well actually the show started off with faith vs reason....they screwed that one up pretty bad

ionee24

[27]Jun 21, 2010
    No, the show started with a man of Faith (Locke) and a man of Science (Jack) clashing together, their whole journey on the island was a slow but powerful compromise between the two of them: the ending reflects how the two of them - Faith and Science - merge together to give us the natural closure of this story.

ajokurvanyad

[28]Jun 21, 2010

i hate this quoting business but it's necessary at this one

ionee24 wrote:
    No, the show started with a man of Faith (Locke) and a man of Science (Jack) clashing together

you just stated the same thing.moving on,how was a compsomise reached?the "man of Science" turned into a faithfull lunatic and the "man of Faith" was a smoke-ghost-shape-shifting-demigod or something.as far as the story/mystery goes the science part was vague and ultimately wasn't used to explain anything instead they used magic,i mean the faith part of the story

Edited on 06/21/2010 11:19am

ionee24

[29]Jun 21, 2010

ajokurvanyad wrote:
    ionee24 wrote:
    No, the show started with a man of Faith (Locke) and a man of Science (Jack) clashing together, their whole journey on the island was a slow but powerful compromise between the two of them: the ending reflects how the two of them - Faith and Science - merge together to give us the natural closure of this story.

you just stated the same thing.moving on,how was a compsomise reached?the "man of Science" turned into a faithfull lunatic and the "man of Faith" was a smoke-ghost-shape-shifting-demigod or something.as far as the story/mystery goes the science part was vague and ultimately wasn't used to explain anything instead they used magic,i mean the faith part of the story

Interesting thing about quotes: they always lose their meaning when taken out of context. I get where you're coming from otherwise you wouldn't use the "cut and paste"technique to make your point but the "demigod part" didn't happen until the last season, when we already knew Smokey wasn't a demigod by the way - it was a human being, more accurately Jacob's brother - but rather the black smoke that terrorizes the castaways on their first night on the island, I suggest to watch the first season again, then their whole journey up until Jeremy Bentham died: the ending fits their story like a glove to a hand.

Edited on 06/21/2010 10:48pm

ajokurvanyad

[30]Jun 22, 2010

well looking at it now i screwed up the quoting part up.d'oh!don't know what you mean with the cut and paste thing but big smoke/samuel was never human,well maybe when he was born.but after that no way.especially not after jacob did the vending machine trick on him.he was a shape-shifting pile of smoke.superhuman enough for ya?well then he's a god among men.or demi-....it's all the same

Edited on 06/22/2010 12:09pm