Lost Forums

ABC (ended 2010)

which TV series is most similar to LOST ?

irishi328

[1]Feb 14, 2010
    • level: 1

Hi friends,

I have finishe lost till episode 5 and I should confess it was more intresting series I have ever seen. Nw I want to know which tv series is most similar to LOST? I want to start it.

Thank you

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Codgin

[2]Feb 14, 2010
    • level: 10

well firstly id reccomend you finish Lost, then I'd check out...

Jericho : The first season started off a little slow but exploded into life before its half way mark and became more and more compelling to watch, even though it never got the second season it deserved (Yes I know there was a second but it was rushed and half hearted, personally), the first season is still worth checking out

Invasion : Never really got in to it, but I've heard from many Losties that it was brillant and I should stick with it

Heroes : While not really like the "Lost Formula" (By which I mean a group of people trapped in a place) for its first season any fan of Lost will find great joy in it

Flashforward would be on this list but its rubbish

Edited on 02/14/2010 5:30am

Hungry_Homer111

[3]Feb 14, 2010
    • level: 26

Codgin wrote:
    Invasion : Never really got in to it, but I've heard from many Losties that it was brillant and I should stick with it

The thing about Invasion is that ABC tried too hard to make it into another Lost, forcing them to drag the season out for longer than they intended. That caused the first few episodes to be pretty slow, and not the best in terms of first-time viewing IMO (though after going through the series, and watching those early episodes again, I liked them a lot more once I knew the characters and everything). Between that, and the crazy scheduling that it had, it's no wonder why enough people got out of it by the time the series actually got interesting, causing the early cancelation, leading to what is, in my mind, one of the worst case of a cancelation cliff-hanger on a TV show that I've seen... So, in short, Invasion is a very good show, despite the beginning and horrible cliff-hanger, but I'd be cautious to actually reccomend it to somebody because of those things.

Anyway, I haven't really seen too many shows that are that similar to Lost, and I don't think that any show has done it as well as Lost has. The two shows that I have seen which are somewhat similar are Invasion, which has the problems that I mentioned above but is still great despite being an incomplete idea, and FlashForward. Personally, I don't think that FlashForward is that bad. It's definitely nothing compared to Lost, and has its own annoying elements, but I do think the show is still pretty good for what it is, especially towards the end of the first half of the season.

HoseJob

[4]Feb 14, 2010
    • level: 7
    I would recommend Twin Peaks because it was one of the first prime-time serial dramas that had a definite mythology and dared to be weird, confounding, symbolic, frustrating and darn fascinating to watch (much like Lost).
    The story itself is not very similar. Its about a strange and principled FBI agent named Dale Cooper who is called into a small mountain town to investigate the murder of the local prom queen. Slowly the audience discovers that none of the townsfolk is truly as they seem, everyone is a suspect, and each person has a dark and often twisted past. Along the way, we encounter psychic premonitions, alien abductions, ghosts, doppelgangers, giants and inter-dimensional realms.
    The series was canceled after its second season, and ended on a cliffhanger, but if you're a fan of Losts dark and twisted side, Twin Peaks ought to be right up your alley, and is definitely worth checking out regardless.

SgtCashmere

[5]Feb 14, 2010
    • level: 15

This will sound mental, but Lost really reminds me of the only other TV show I have ever been a big fan of: the first series of Digimon lol! I used to watch it ALL the time when I was a kid. Basically, Lost is like a grown up version of Digimon without all cartoon monsters lol, at least in my mind.

Think about it, 1) A group of kids get sent to a strange, dangerous, unknown world = a group of passengers get sent to a strange, dangerous, unknown Island. 2) The kids must overcome personal challenges and get along in order to survive their journey = the passengers must do the same. 3) The kids have personal demons from back home, like divorced parents, being adopted, bad relationship with their mother, insecurity, etc. = the passengers have father issues, murder problems, complicated relationships, etc.

Digimon is for kids, I know lol! I loved it as a child though. Ok... now I am prepared for public torment. Oh well, I said my piece haha

KingofIPirates

[6]Feb 14, 2010
    • level: 32
    You're right there are quite a few correlations with Digimon; I suppose Smokey could count as the main evil Digimon monster they have to defeat.
    Edited on 02/14/2010 7:34pm

KaitlynKloor

[7]Feb 14, 2010
    • level: 2
    I've never watched digimon before, what's it about-aside from what Sgtcashmere already said?
    Edited on 02/14/2010 7:48pm

SgtCashmere

[8]Feb 14, 2010
    Think Pokemon, except with a coherent plot line and impressive character development (remarkable character development for a kid's show, actually)

Guildy

[9]Feb 16, 2010
    • level: 5
    Fringe is a great show. The plotlines are way out there, using fringe science to make a show that seems to me like a cross between Lost and X-files

shwaguy

[10]Feb 16, 2010
    • level: 11
    Guildy wrote:
    Fringe is a great show. The plotlines are way out there, using fringe science to make a show that seems to me like a cross between Lost and X-files

i agree...my second favourite show by far..

Hungry_Homer111

[11]Feb 16, 2010
    Guildy wrote:

I like Fringe, but it's probably my least favorite JJ Abrams show out of the ones I've seen (this, that, and Alias). The stand-alone elements are really weak IMO, and I mainly watch it for the main story, which isn't the focus of the show.

blackmage8472

[12]Feb 16, 2010

Watch Alias, another Abrams show. There's a lot of similarities, Abrams style is very evident.

SgtCashmere

[13]Feb 16, 2010

The character interactions and development from Lost actually reminded me of Buffy the Vampire Slayer when I first started watching back in Season 1. They are not all that similar, but Buffy has some great writing. In fact, I think I heard once that the shows share some writers, since Buffy ended right before Lost started.

buildam2005

[14]Feb 16, 2010
    • level: 14
    I must second Buffy the Vampire Slayer, as well as its spin-off Angel. They're both, in my humblest of opinions, far and away better than Lost--in plotting, character development, and, most, in thematic complexity. Easily two of the best TV shows ever created. They've been off the air for nearly six years (Buffy for seven) and are still always talked about.

blackmage8472

[15]Feb 16, 2010

buildam2005 wrote:
    I must second Buffy the Vampire Slayer, as well as its spin-off Angel. They're both, in my humblest of opinions, far and away better than Lost--in plotting, character development, and, most, in thematic complexity. Easily two of the best TV shows ever created. They've been off the air for nearly six years (Buffy for seven) and are still always talked about.

Buffy was incredibly developed for the audience it was aimed at...and it's one of the few shows that actually made me cry (Ok, for those of you laughing, season 6 was among the most depressing seasons of any show ever). But I really can't agree on Angel. Don't get me wrong, it had some great moments but the ending left a sour taste in my mouth.

Hungry_Homer111

[16]Feb 16, 2010
    blackmage8472 wrote:

buildam2005 wrote:

Buffy was incredibly developed for the audience it was aimed at...and it's one of the few shows that actually made me cry (Ok, for those of you laughing, season 6 was among the most depressing seasons of any show ever). But I really can't agree on Angel. Don't get me wrong, it had some great moments but the ending left a sour taste in my mouth.

I disagree. I think that Angel is a much better show than Buffy. The characters had stronger developments, the season arcs (at least in seasons 2-4) drew me in much more, and just thought that the show (seasons 2-5 especially) was just a lot stronger overall. Though, I'll have to admit, Buffy the Vampire Slayer was a lot better than I expected it to be, and had its own qualities. I strongly disagree with buildam2005 about the being better than Lost (especially Buffy), but that's just my opinion, and I do think they're both worth watching. Maybe not for the same reasons as Lost, but still...

KaitlynKloor

[17]Feb 16, 2010
    • level: 2
    SgtCashmere wrote:
    Think Pokemon, except with a coherent plot line and impressive character development (remarkable character development for a kid's show, actually)
    I never watched pokemon either

L-O-S-T-F-A-N

[18]Feb 16, 2010
    • level: 9
    How about V? It just started and most people say it sucks, but its kind of like Lost. With the aliens being "The Others" and choosing random people for something.

buildam2005

[19]Feb 16, 2010
    • level: 14
    Hungry_Homer111 wrote:
    blackmage8472 wrote:

buildam2005 wrote:

I disagree. I think that Angel is a much better show than Buffy. The characters had stronger developments, the season arcs (at least in seasons 2-4) drew me in much more, and just thought that the show (seasons 2-5 especially) was just a lot stronger overall. Though, I'll have to admit, Buffy the Vampire Slayer was a lot better than I expected it to be, and had its own qualities. I strongly disagree with buildam2005 about the being better than Lost (especially Buffy), but that's just my opinion, and I do think they're both worth watching. Maybe not for the same reasons as Lost, but still...

You're certainly entitled to your opinions, but I can't imagine how anyone can argue that the characters on LOST hold a lick to BtVS or Angel in their complexity. I can pretty much funnel each character on LOST down to who they are and how they've "developed" in a sentence or two each (not that I really want to), whereas the characters on Buffy and Angel have so much more subtlty and nuance (particularly the title characters of each). But that's neither here nor there, nor will we change one another's opinions, so there's no point arguing, I suppose.

In terms of Angel and Buffy in comparison, they're just very different. Some of Angel's seasons I like better than some of Buffy's (seasons 2 and 5 of Angel are my second and third favorites of the lot, after season 5 of Buffy), but Buffy is the overall winner in my book, just because it's the source of Angel--Angel had an easier time finding a groove because it had 3 years of basic backstory written for it. However, any fan of LOST certainly needs to be exposed to both. I think we can at least agree on that.

SgtCashmere

[20]Feb 16, 2010

KaitlynKloor wrote:
    SgtCashmere wrote:
    I never watched pokemon either

Ok, I will explain the cartoonish, kid stuff first: Digimon is a Japanese cartoon that involves kids who get transported from summer camp to the "Digital World." There, they meet a variety of Digimon, which are animal-like monsters that can breathe fire, ice, lightning, shoot missiles, etc. These Digimon include partners for each of the kid. Their Digimon partners start out cute and small, but can "Digivolve" to become bigger, more powerful, and cooler LOL The kids fight bad Digimon, try to save the world, etc.

Now for the character stuff: some of the character development is surprisingly in-depth for a kid's show. First of all, there is the same theme of "live together, die alone" as can be found in Lost. In fact, the climax of the series really hangs on that theme. It is through the kids' relationships to each other -- bonds that evolve naturally and do not seem forced at all, over the course of the series -- that the kids are able to overcome their biggest challenges. Each character also undergoes a story arc, such as one girl realizing her mother truly loves her despite their rocky relationship, one kid coming to terms with his parents' divorce, one kid facing the possibility of death and wondering what it means to "die," another kid changing from a neurotic worry wart into the type man he, himself, can respect... The character development is definitely kid-oriented and not as dramatic or heavy as on "Lost," but if you are looking for a show that has many of the same themes and pacing as "Lost," and are not too old or cynical to enjoy a cartoon, I recommend the first series of Digimon.

I never really got into the series after the first one, but I don't think they are nearly as good. Check it out on YouTube, if you want I guess.