Lost Forums

ABC (ended 2010)

which TV series is most similar to LOST ?

CharmedOneP391

[21]Feb 16, 2010
    • level: 19

I don't think there is a show on TV that can compare with the writing style that Lost has had...at all.

But I will second(third?) the comment about Buffy. It was the first serialized drama I had ever watched in full..and it was a great first show. That's find it similar to Lost in the sense of I think it gets better in the later seasons than the early ones..and you can't say that about a lot of shows.

Weeds is a great show also..very awesome. This show compares to Lost because of ending season finales with just incredible cliff-hangers. Could say the same with True Blood.

As for another great ensemble serialized program..I really do reccomend Heroes. Some fans don't like it past season one(i'm not one of them)..but if you watch the first season..you'll most definitely watch the rest.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Shikady

[22]Feb 17, 2010
    • level: 13

Weeds? Come on, it's not similar to lost... Heroes sucks, and again, it isn't similar to lost.

Twin Peaks, twin peaks, twin peaks.

Give it a try.

cindycee

[23]Feb 17, 2010
    • level: 8
    yeah i agree for the character focus, buffy and angel, and if u just want the hell confused out of u so that u are left hanging on ur seat, then twin peaks was excellent for that, very creepy show. twin peaks although it was cancelled did have a followup movie which helped to explain things, that was called 'fire, walk with me'.

eisa_boy

[24]Feb 17, 2010
    • level: 7
    Barney would be the most similar.

JoeLostDharma

[25]Feb 17, 2010
    • level: 28
    Yeah, to be honest, there's nothing quite like Lost.
    But I recommend Buffy, 24, Fringe, Supernatural as awesome shows.

Oh PS: to anyone...does my avatar show up? I can't see it myself..

blackmage8472

[26]Feb 17, 2010
    • level: 15

L-O-S-T-F-A-N wrote:
    How about V? It just started and most people say it sucks, but its kind of like Lost. With the aliens being "The Others" and choosing random people for something.

The only problem with V right now is there haven't been enough episodes to judge it and there's no new episodes until end of March. I have no idea why ABC would split the series that way.

CharmedOneP391

[27]Feb 17, 2010
    • level: 19
    Shikady wrote:

Weeds? Come on, it's not similar to lost... Heroes sucks, and again, it isn't similar to lost.

Give it a try.

hey, man. I gave my reasoning as for why Weeds is similar to Lost. The cliffhangery ending of seasons. I even said nothing will compare to Lost's writing styles.

And oh god another "heroes sucks". It's ok..it's all I ever hear (well..read) on tv.com.

Never seen Twin Peaks...but i'm not gonna say it sucks!!

But um...I'll also add Fringe. I watched the first episode last month and then caught up to season 2 within a week. it was great.

JoeLostDharma

[28]Feb 18, 2010
    I really wanna start watching Weeds.

As for Heroes: Season 1 was good, Season 2 was watchable, and what I've seen of 3 it wasn't THAT bad.
    I'll eventually rent out all the boxsets and watch it through, I'd say.

Codgin

[29]Feb 18, 2010
    • level: 10
    Shikady wrote:

Give it a try.

Heroes sucks now, but back in season 1 the show was brillant, and the way in which it "was" similar to Lost was in it's captivating charchters

eric0120

[30]Feb 19, 2010
    • level: 3

Lost is at the top. 24 is another great show for cliffhangers, characters relationships..

..but like when starting Lost, I would suggest booking a couple of days off work, buying enough frozen dinners to last throughout, drawing the shades of your home and disconnecting the phone...once you start watching it it's totally impossible to stop. Each episode can only can conclude with "just one more episode" ...when you finally hobble out your door for real air, your skin will droop on your skeleton body and you'll feel like a total zombie as you walk to your retail store for season two. Season one (where you should start) is like eight years old now but is still top-notch entertainment.

Heroes season 1 is cool but knowing what it becomes kind of ruins the whole thing.

Flashforward is a joke and the leading role looks like he needs a good kick in the bag.

'V' has potential but the acting and story telling for the most part is a big cheese wheel rolling the road.

Read The Dark Tower series or The Stand by Stephen King if you want some super Lost-mythology style cliffhanging-action.

JoeLostDharma

[31]Feb 19, 2010
    eric0120 wrote:

Lost is at the top. 24 is another great show for cliffhangers, characters relationships..

..but like when starting Lost, I would suggest booking a couple of days off work, buying enough frozen dinners to last throughout, drawing the shades of your home and disconnecting the phone...once you start watching it it's totally impossible to stop. Each episode can only can conclude with "just one more episode" ...when you finally hobble out your door for real air, your skin will droop on your skeleton body and you'll feel like a total zombie as you walk to your retail store for season two. Season one (where you should start) is like eight years old now but is still top-notch entertainment.

Heroes season 1 is cool but knowing what it becomes kind of ruins the whole thing.

Flashforward is a joke and the leading role looks like he needs a good kick in the bag.

'V' has potential but the acting and story telling for the most part is a big cheese wheel rolling the road.

Read The Dark Tower series or The Stand by Stephen King if you want some super Lost-mythology style cliffhanging-action.

Lost Season 1 is 6 years old.
    It kicked off in 2004.
    Edited on 02/19/2010 10:27am

eric0120

[32]Feb 19, 2010
    JoeLostDharma wrote:
    eric0120 wrote:

Lost Season 1 is 6 years old. It kicked off in 2004.

true, but watch season 1 of 24 and season 1 of lost....24 looks way more dated. i think lost was one of the first series to start using HD technology.

KaileeA42

[33]Apr 19, 2010

Ok, I have to admit it, I'm only in Season 2 of LOST, I know, I suck! I watched Season 1 on TV at age 10 but didn't really get the concept of TV Seasons back then so I never saw 2 and kind of forgot about it but always remembered liking it in the back of my mind. Then I fell in love with Joss Whedon's shows and after I finished them I was looking for other shows and picked LOST because of seeing it before. So yeah, I desperately want to be there in a month for the end of LOST but idk if I can finish like 4 Seasons in a matter of weeks. (Alright, I finished 7 seasons of Buffy in a month, so maybe.) The point of that little ramble was that my comparisons might not be great since there's (obviously) a lot I still don't know about LOST!

I fourth( or whatever number we're on now) the opinion that you must definitely watch Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel of you have not already seen them. I agree with the person that said they are far and away better written and developed than LOST. I think LOST is easily one of the best things on tv today but BTVS and Angel just had much better developed characters, metaphors, romance, humor, and wit. I really love LOST but Buffy and Angel are the only shows that really have my heart and can make me laugh and cry like no others( no matter how cheesy that sounds.)

Since people are discussing it I'll throw in my two cents and say that I prefer Buffy out of the 2 shows but I can sort of see why someone would like Angel better, Honestly, I like to think of them as two halves of the same whole. However, if you plan to start BTVS know that it's kind of a slow start and Season 1 is very very different in style, tone, and quality than the rest of the show. Give it a chance until halfway through Season 2, that's when it really starts to get great, IMO. And I love all of the seasons but I think I give the edge to the later ones because they have more of my favorite characters, couples, and humor, and the actors were great in their roles by then. Don't be put off by the cheesy moments of the first few eps, it does get much MUCH better. Also, you should skip "Teacher's Pet' and 'I Robot, You Jane', just saying.

Other shows I would recommend are Battlestar Galactica and Supernatural.

Battlestar: I've only see Season 1 so far( waiting for the rest in the mail) but it already seems like a unique and intelligent show with great characters and plot twists like LOST. The way you sometimes wonder who is a Cylon is kind of like the mystery of the Others.

Supernatural: My 3rd favorite show because I haven't quite decided where LOST falls in yet. Season 1 is pretty good but is monster of the week-ish, Two is an improvement on all levels but still not great IMO besides a few eps. Season 3 is about the same as 2 but shorter because of the writers strike, 4 is absolutely BRILLIANT and I adore it, 5 is really great so far. So yeah, you might like that too, it has awesome characters, mythology, and humor. Also, Castiel for the win! Who knew angels were so awesome, adorable, awkward, and hilarious?

Also, Firefly, if you like Buffy and Angel. It's a short-lived sci-fi western with quirky characters. Only 14 eps or so long so easy to finish quickly. Also, there's a great follow-up movie called 'Serenity'.

Avatar: The Last Airbender- Just if you like animation. Kind of a kid's show but I felt like randomly tossing it in here. Lots of adults like it too, so idk.Great characters, development, art, and humor for a kid's show.

ionee24

[34]Apr 24, 2010
    • level: 32

irishi328 wrote:

Hi friends,

I have finishe lost till episode 5 and I should confess it was more intresting series I have ever seen. Nw I want to know which tv series is most similar to LOST? I want to start it.

Thank you

None is as complete as Lost but Battlestar Galactica and Jericho explored similar themes of faith, survival and destiny. House and 24 explore the more intimate side of the reluctant hero while Fringe, V and Flashforward the Sci fi aspect of Lost. For classic serialized shows there's the X-files and Buffy the vampire slayer.

I don't recomend Heroes nor Supernatural because those shows don't have an end game and do huge amounts of retcon from one season to another but, if you keep that in mind, you can always watch any season and pretend is a completely separated show from the rest. Same goes to E.R., Stargate and Angel but only regarding the lack of an end game and Alias, Smallville and Prison Break but only regarding the huge amounts of retcon from one season to another.

The West Wing, Veronica Mars and Dawson's Creek are solid serialized dramas but without an ounce of sci fi and only some of the adventure characteristic of Lost.

Edited on 04/24/2010 9:27pm
    Edited 2 total times.

Codgin

[35]Apr 25, 2010
    • level: 10

if you're actually watching super you'd know it has an end game, everything feels like its been building up to this point, its just a shame that when it ends therell be another season :S despite the fact its like over... and nothing will beat fighting the devil

PipinsMcGee

[36]Apr 28, 2010
    • level: 9

Shows similar to LOST. Well for starters, i'd say there aren't many shows that are like LOST in anyway, but there are shows that share certain elements with it. Also, try fifnishing LOST before you go off to wathc shows like it.

Anyway, for suprising, gross, creepy alternate universe plots, i recommend Fringe. It's also done by JJ Abrams and has interseting plots, and a core of solid characters, but it's very big on science.

Also, Supernatural's current season and previous season have parallels to LOST's current season and previous season. Plus, like LOST, it has developed an overall plot for the entire series that's become bigger than the characters themselves (in a good way).

You can try season one of Heroes. It was creative and entertaining, and had an enormous cast of characters like LOST. However, I don't reccommend watching it past season one unless you want to lower you IQ by melting you brain. I don't think i've ever watched a show that lost its steam that fast.

Finally,I agree and (fifth) the idea to check out Buffy the Vampire Slayer. It's honestly probably one of the most overlooked shows. For what started as a small WB project, it did things that no other show has done (see The Body, Hush), and had astounding character development. Like, LOST it has layers among layers of dept to both the characters and plot, but it actually handles it better than LOST. Though, LOST has great character development, it's over shadowed by the entire overall plot of LOST. Buffy didn't ever really have a plot so massive; it bascally had seasonal plots. Buffy's characters were teh massive force that drove Buffy, not it's plot. Plus, SPOILER, both shows have supposed evils that take on the appearence of dead people.

P.S. As far as the Buffy vs. Angel discussion, I'd say hands down Buffy was the better show. Angel was much darker and much more adult, but the characters on Buffy were better, and for whatever reason BtVS always seemed much more human and realtable than AtS.

Emmer64

[37]Apr 28, 2010
    • level: 5
    I always found 'Carnivale' to deliver the same kind of mystery that Lost delivered in it's first season. It was ended a bit prematurely, but I think many Lost fans would like it.

PewPew83

[38]Apr 28, 2010
    • level: 8
    no shows on tv will be similar to lost ...

OOsteb

[39]Apr 29, 2010
    • level: 5

Actually, I really enjoyed a T.V series called " Invasion ". It didn't last long but it was intense and full of great characters like Lost. Unfortunately not enough thinking people who like mystery watched it. Like Lost , they leave you guessing who's the Good Guys and who's the Bad guys. I miss that show.

shwaguy

[40]Apr 29, 2010
    • level: 11
    OOsteb wrote:

Actually, I really enjoyed a T.V series called " Invasion ". It didn't last long but it was intense and full of great characters like Lost. Unfortunately not enough thinking people who like mystery watched it. Like Lost , they leave you guessing who's the Good Guys and who's the Bad guys. I miss that show.

i agree on that one..couldnt believe that ended! :-(