Lost Forums

ABC (ended 2010)

Why all the hate for the ending?

-Master_K-

[1]May 25, 2010
    • level: 37

I know people fear what they do not understand, but, I've been to plenty of forums and there definitely seems to be more criticism than praise for a finale I thought was beautiful. I'm curious if its because it just hasn't sunk in to lots of people's heads and they're probably having trouble processing it/dealing with the fact that the shows over. Maybe it's the minds way of consoling ones self.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Cyberfairy

[2]May 25, 2010
    • level: 6
    I thought it was a beautiful ending, and it came with a great closure to alot of questions. But people simply expected the writers to explain everything. Their expectations were too high.

teohyc

[3]May 25, 2010
    • level: 2

There are those who are treating this as a supernatural show might be the ones most disappointed.

Supernatural doesn't get explained, the characters' actions are (sort of). What other shows on supernatural events gives answers?

Edited on 05/25/2010 12:25am

avi01

[4]May 25, 2010
    • level: 26
    It is a hit or miss because of certain aspect.
    I personally thought it was not perfect but brilliant (go figure).

shan73

[5]May 25, 2010
    • level: 5
    I must say that it took me a few hours to digest the finale..when I did, I think it is a beautiful finale and very well done..
    I would not want it to be different as most stuffs cannot be explained or answered..
    I guess we all had too many questions in our mind and we "need to let go!"

mrjulian

[6]May 25, 2010
    • level: 13
    The only thing that disappointed me is that the end of lost is about the explanation of the side ways. I wish it was more about the island, but it was really touching to see all the losties reunite in that church.

nathan69

[7]May 25, 2010
    • level: 3
    Yes it was touching at time. But all the touching scenes etc were all there as a smoke screen to divert you from what was really going on and what was really going on was..... Most episodes were made with absolutely no respect or attention to what had gone before

ssa2204

[8]May 25, 2010

-Master_K- wrote:

I know people fear what they do not understand, but, I've been to plenty of forums and there definitely seems to be more criticism than praise for a finale I thought was beautiful. I'm curious if its because it just hasn't sunk in to lots of people's heads and they're probably having trouble processing it/dealing with the fact that the shows over. Maybe it's the minds way of consoling ones self.

Why the hate? Because some of us have a little bit more wisdom and intelligence than to be easily bought off with some pointless ending that was completely irrelevant to the story. This was nothing but a sappy happy tear jerker ending that made no sense or connection to the story as a whole, but you are satisfied only because everyone has a big smile at the end.

I have to ask, why did you watch this show? It seems the only people satisfied are the ones who watched for the bleeping soap opera angle, the shippers and others who saw this just as a Survivor/Reality show drama. Well that is after all what this POS show ended up being, yet it was sold to us for 6 years prior as something else. So why the hate? Because we have buyer's remorse. We spent 6 years watching one show, with an ending fit for another with the writers telling us that essentially we wasted 6 years on this show.

There is not a person around, the writers and producers included, or could argue that the past 6 years were relevant. One could easily with minor, very minor editing simply start this show at the beginning of this year. In other words the whole main story, the central theme to what the essence of this show was became completely irrelevant. The writers gave us a mystery novel that they did not finish. What they gave us for the final chapter was a message that the previous chapters were a waste of our time reading.

avi01

[9]May 25, 2010
    ^All you do is insult other people`s intelligence as a justification to you not liking the finale. You are ridiculous...grow up and accept that the world don`t turn around your opinion. We clearly have different opinion , try to respect that.

brookeishot

[10]May 25, 2010
    • level: 7

In the end, with so many characters and questions,the writers had two choices: write a great story and answer a few questionsor spend a season doing nothing but explaining and let the story suck. They clearly went with the first which I'd rather because I care more about people than questions.Everyone was happy in the end and thats fine by me.

Maybe alot of people don't like it because it was a happy ending and life, for the most part, isn't happy. But, if you believe in some kind of heaven or afterlife, then the fact that they were happy in the endmakes sense.

I think it has to do with alot of people just not being completely and totally satified, but thats how endings are. On my other favorite show, Supernatural, one of the characters even explained why endings suck. You can't please everyone and there will always be some (alot in this case) of unanswered questions. It is what it is.

ssa2204

[11]May 25, 2010

brookeishot wrote:

In the end, with so many characters and questions,the writers had two choices: write a great story and answer a few questionsor spend a season doing nothing but explaining and let the story suck. They clearly went with the first which I'd rather because I care more about people than questions.Everyone was happy in the end and thats fine by me.

Except this was not simply a character drama was it? Maybe you should ask yourself why and how this show was popular? What drawed people in? What was the hype surrounding this show? The answer to this question have nothing to do with characters. Lost, ABC, writers, producers, etc..all hyped this as a big mystery. Take a look at the marketing that ABC used to attract viewers, look back to the begining. This was never a simple soap opera/character drama. The characters existed simply to tell the story about the island. Fine for you that you watched for the characters, but at least understand that is NOT what the show was about.

brookeishot wrote:
    Maybe alot of people don't like it because it was a happy ending and life, for the most part, isn't happy. But, if you believe in some kind of heaven or afterlife, then the fact that they were happy in the endmakes sense.

I think it has to do with alot of people just not being completely and totally satified, but thats how endings are. On my other favorite show, Supernatural, one of the characters even explained why endings suck. You can't please everyone and there will always be some (alot in this case) of unanswered questions. It is what it is.

Does not matter whether the ending is happy or not, it simply matters that the ending has relevance to the damn story. Many a story written througout time that are much enjoyed by many that did not end well. But you know what? These endings were the logical conclusion to from the introduction throughout the main body. Best way I can explain it all is that we watched the show for the story, you watched for the characters. Except again I will state this was never introduced as a mere character drama now was it? If you want to see proper endings, go watch The Shield or The Wire. Neither had "happy" endings, but they had logical conclusions.

Moita83

[12]May 25, 2010
    • level: 1

I do believe the ending was very good and don't see it being nearly as good if it was simply a "checklist of things to answer". The last season did gave a lot of answers (not crystal clear but it did anyway) if you think about it.

At first i saw the island itself clearly being the vessel for the source of life, this is proven by the healing properties of the place and the "no aging" characters. Now let's see the black smoke for an instance... He seemed to have a lot of knowledge about the island and more than that it seemed to know everything about other people intentions, except for one, Jack after the conversion.

With that in mind I have another understanding of what it really was and the island too. You see, the island isn't only the vessel for life it's also the vessel for death. The black smoke was part of the island and that is the main reason it could only be killed when the place was detached from our world (the rock sink-stopper thing).

So why does the black smoke pose as a person? Because as Jack said he have to convince the candidates (people the island "chooses as possible guardians) to kill themselves because if he tried to do that himself the island could simply bring them back. When the black smoke poses as someone he takes only the evil inside that person, not once did the MIB or evil Locke showed some sense of compassion or good intention… all it did was deceive and lie to everyone. It also always known every plan that included some sort of misleading or deceit.

So why can't the black smoke understand the plans of the guardians? Simply because the guardians know the true nature of the monster and don't try to lie. Jack told the smoke that he was going to kill him and how he intended to do that. What happened on the island, before and after the story of "lost" is told, can't really be answered because if the island is the source of life it should be just as old as life itself and continue to exist while there is life on our planet.

I for one like shows that gives you room for thinking instead of shows that just gives you easy answers, those in my opinion are the shows for people who don't like thinking (or for people who believe that only one point of view can be the right one).

aidorrocks

[13]May 25, 2010
    • level: 10
    -Master_K- wrote:

i'm sure there are people who were a bit confused with how lost ended. but to say that people didn't understand it because they criticise it is wrong. many people like myself totally understood what was happening & even liked a lot/some of the finale.

but...

not totally. not like "OMG IT WAS TEH BESTEST EVER!!" we didn't think it was perfect & think it could've or should've ended differently. what is wrong with having a different opinion? just because you loved it & thought it was "beautiful" doesn't mean that anyone who doesn't agree didn't understand.

personally tho, i wasn't happy that half of season 6 turned out to be essentially an epilogue for the very end message of, everyone dies, but you'll forget your differences & move on to something better. while i did enjoy the characters in the alt. timeline & enjoyed seeing them remember, personally i'd have thought it better that they resolved their differences while they were still alive.

avi01 wrote:
    ^All you do is insult other people`s intelligence as a justification to you not liking the finale. You are ridiculous...grow up and accept that the world don`t turn around your opinion. We clearly have different opinion , try to respect that.

that works both ways you know. because people have said they didn't like it, they've had their intelligence insulted & told to get over it or similar. or a "lost finale lover" will try to push everyone who wasn't 100% happy (or haters as they're known) into one single forum thread to keep them out of sight. it seems that few people on this forum can respect opposing views, or even read them properly before going off on a huge rant as to why the opposing view is wrong.

anyone who doesn't fully agree that the finale was perfect, beautiful, all about the characters, best show ever or similar gets told they were wrong, they didn't understand it or missed the point of the show. that's not true, we also have different opinions & they should be respected just as much as the positive opinions. providing they're not just insulting rants, but like i say, you get those from both the "haters" and the "fanboys"

Guildy

[14]May 25, 2010
    • level: 5
    avi01 wrote:

That's odd... I'm getting exactly the same impression that that view is held equally by the people that think the ending was great... "You people all missed the point." No, we got the point. Our point is that this ending had very little to do with the first five seasons. As SSA2204 wrote, this season could have been all there was to Lost, and nobody would have noticed. Very likely nowhere near as many people would watch.

I personally thought this ending was a very cheap cop-out due to the fact the writers couldn't come up with an ending that made sense of the first five seasons. This was everyone's worst fear throughout the series, and we were all assured that no, they're not dead. Now they add the fine print saying "except for the flash-sideways in season six". To misquote from Obi-Wan, "What they told you was the truth... from a certain point of view". No, they didn't outright lie to us, they told us just enough of the truth to keep us watching. So I think Lost has insulted our intelligence quite enough, we don't need to do it to each other

avi01

[15]May 25, 2010
    Guildy wrote:
    avi01 wrote:

That's odd... I'm getting exactly the same impression that that view is held equally by the people that think the ending was great... "You people all missed the point." No, we got the point. Our point is that this ending had very little to do with the first five seasons. As SSA2204 wrote, this season could have been all there was to Lost, and nobody would have noticed. Very likely nowhere near as many people would watch.

I personally thought this ending was a very cheap cop-out due to the fact the writers couldn't come up with an ending that made sense of the first five seasons. This was everyone's worst fear throughout the series, and we were all assured that no, they're not dead. Now they add the fine print saying "except for the flash-sideways in season six". To misquote from Obi-Wan, "What they told you was the truth... from a certain point of view". No, they didn't outright lie to us, they told us just enough of the truth to keep us watching. So I think Lost has insulted our intelligence quite enough, we don't need to do it to each other

and I respectfully disagree. I thought it was concluded it a very tactful way. The more I watch it, the more I like it. Does that makes me stupid? I don`t think so. Bottom line is that I`m happy with the way Lost ends even tho it was not perfect. I don`t feel my intelligence was insulted or something, for me it was bitter sweet.

SnarkBC

[16]May 25, 2010
    • level: 8

Some folks felt it was awful because it was fan service, but the worst kind of fan service. It was about setting up a reality where Jack and Kate don't just end up together, but they end up together forever in "heaven." It's ridiculous sappy, smaltchy garbage, that doesn't really reflect what the show is about. Though redemption is a huge aspect of the show, many fans feel redemption has to come in your life to actually have any kind of meaning. To get redemption in some kind of purgatory heaven place where all of the elements favor you is ultimately meaningless. It's video game theology, hit X to start over again.

Completely throwing aside how unsatisfied I am with the mythology, it would have been 1000 times happier of an ending and more meaningful if they actually went through with reincarnating our characters into the alt verse so they can find each other and be friends and live out their lives together. That way they could achieve meaningful redemption. Another massive major sticking point I have is Kate. You're telling me Kate didn't go on to have a son, or another husband or two she didn't want to meet up with in heaven? It would make a million times more sense if your last shot is Jack closing his eyes, only to open them up Avatar style, being the last major member to rejoin his friends in the other reality, and live out a life of peace and happiness, while on Island Jack "crosses" over as the Island sinks with him on it.

And yet another valid complaint is that shot of the island under water. That might be the cheapest, sleaziest Red Herring that Lost has ever come up with.

facewweasel

[17]May 25, 2010
    • level: 10

I think the main reasoning for the hate of the ending was in the end it all just didn't make sense

they're all on the island did they actually ever leave the island the dharma initive etc..... the time travel

the only thing i could get is that lots of people have been ont he island and jacob and the mib have used them those people to advanced and that they needed people to help them ascened or decended

but i'm wondering about widmore's people that he sent in miles frank etc...

SnarkBC

[18]May 25, 2010
    • level: 8

Jeez some people are easily confused. Everything. EVERYTHING up until season 6 began, happened. Even in season 6, all of the on island stuff, happened. But all the sideways world stuff in Season 6, that was limbo. Purgatory. Heaven. EVERYTHING except what happened in Limbo, happened.

buildam2005

[19]May 25, 2010
    • level: 14

For me, herein lies the problem: people keep saying it was about the characters. Okay. Let's run with that. What sort of changes did we see in these characters over the course of season six? What sort of interesting insights to who these people are and how these things have affected them were present in this last season? Ben started to get that in "Dr. Linus"--we got some interesting development, particularly when he decided to go with Ilana and not Locke, because the flash-sideways offered some interesting ideas about power and the facade of having power, and how those ideas influenced Ben in the island timeline.

But what of the others? Jack, okay, I'll sort of buy an argument that not only does he become a "man of faith" but he elevates himself to a self-sacrificing hero who is no longer concerned with escaping the island but becominga part of its structure. But what about Kate? She starts wanting to find Claire and being all whiny, and she ends that way. In what way did the events of season six influence her character or push her journey forward? I could say the same about Sawyer and the Kwons--we get nothing new or interesting; they remain static throughout. And the way their characters are resolved doesn't provide a whole lot of interesting depth to them either.

So what it comes down to for me is, if you're going to abandon your plot--which, let's be honest, they really did toward the end--and claim that it's all about the characters, make what happens to those characters at least interesting to watch. It seems to me that they were all reduced to plot devices themselves this year, just running around in the jungle to get where they need to move so that the plot can go where it wants.

If you want to see a show that uses its finale and final season to really take the characters to new places, I will again direct you to Buffy the Vampire Slayer--now THAT show knew how to balance a plot with really giving interesting character insights.

buildam2005

[20]May 25, 2010
    • level: 14
    buildam2005 wrote:

For me, herein lies the problem: people keep saying it was about the characters. Okay. Let's run with that. What sort of changes did we see in these characters over the course of season six? What sort of interesting insights to who these people are and how these things have affected them were present in this last season? Ben started to get that in "Dr. Linus"--we got some interesting development, particularly when he decided to go with Ilana and not Locke, because the flash-sideways offered some interesting ideas about power and the facade of having power, and how those ideas influenced Ben in the island timeline.

But what of the others? Jack, okay, I'll sort of buy an argument that not only does he become a "man of faith" but he elevates himself to a self-sacrificing hero who is no longer concerned with escaping the island but becominga part of its structure. But what about Kate? She starts wanting to find Claire and being all whiny, and she ends that way. In what way did the events of season six influence her character or push her journey forward? I could say the same about Sawyer and the Kwons--we get nothing new or interesting; they remain static throughout. And the way their characters are resolved doesn't provide a whole lot of interesting depth to them either.

So what it comes down to for me is, if you're going to abandon your plot--which, let's be honest, they really did toward the end--and claim that it's all about the characters, make what happens to those characters at least interesting to watch. It seems to me that they were all reduced to plot devices themselves this year, just running around in the jungle to get where they need to move so that the plot can go where it wants.

If you want to see a show that uses its finale and final season to really take the characters to new places, I will again direct you to Buffy the Vampire Slayer--now THAT show knew how to balance a plot with really giving interesting character insights.

And allow me to clarify what I meant about Ben: I didn't mean that the flash-sideways experience influenced Ben on the island in a physical way. I meant that the writers presented some ideas about power through the action/dialogue of the flash-sideways, and then the island timeline was a reflection of those IDEAS, not any actual influence of Ben's experience in the flash-sideways on island Ben. I hope that makes sense.