Lost Forums

ABC (ended 2010)

Why all the hate for the ending?

Theendfan

[41]May 25, 2010
    • level: 2

OOsteb wrote:

As far as I'm concerned, they did change the story. Juliet blew up a bomb on the Island under the premise that the plane won't crash and their future selfs would be alive. Well it's funny that, that is exactly how season Six started. Juliet says it worked and then we see 815 landing at LAX (opps, was that the Title or something ?) with everyone on it. Sure had me fooled. I was enjoying seeing how their lives were IF the plane DIDN't crash. Now it is just a " Good " show. Ending was okay for what it was, but it could have been Great !

Well It was misdirection but not a change in the story. Since season 3 we have been told that you can not change what happened. So I think that it is fitting that they couldn't change their lives with the H-bomb (It also explains what the incident was). If they had changed their lives with the H-bomb then what we had been told during the series would have been a lie. For me, what happened made more sense for the overall story.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

KingofIPirates

[42]May 25, 2010
    • level: 32
    Theendfan wrote:
    The difference is that I think (even before the writers said it) that every questions leads to another question so the choose to stay with the characters and give them a definite ending.
    Questions answered only lead to more questions if the answer itself is vague and ambiguous. Clear and concise answers settle the matter.

Megaman200798

[43]May 25, 2010
    • level: 13

Theendfan wrote:
    The difference is that I think (even before the writers said it) that every questions leads to another question so the choose to stay with the characters and give them a definite ending.

Then why bother bringing in questions if they dont have the decency to provide some answers? As fans, we deserve closure.

Theendfan

[44]May 25, 2010
    Megaman200798 wrote:

Theendfan wrote:

Then why bother bringing in questions if they dont have the decency to provide some answers? As fans, we deserve closure.

Well then I'am sorry you guys didn't get the closure you wanted. Mysteries like this that go back since the beginning of time cant have clear and concise answer unless you write an encyclopedia. The island is this... the who created it? Why is it there? What happened before Jacob? Who discovered it first? Second? and we can go on... and each answer would make at least one more person disappointed. Also I believe part of Lost is how people act in situations that they may never understand, life is like this, full of mystery. I understand you don't like it, my comments will not change your opinion and that's not the point either. But maybe you can understand that there is no way to answer the questions satisfyingly like in CSI or House just because of the type of mysteries involve. I still prefer Lost with mysteries without answers than no mystery at all, but that is just me.

Megaman200798

[45]May 25, 2010
    • level: 13

Theendfan wrote:
    Megaman200798 wrote:

Theendfan wrote:

Well then I'am sorry you guys didn't get the closure you wanted. Mysteries like this that go back since the beginning of time cant have clear and concise answer unless you write an encyclopedia. The island is this... the who created it? Why is it there? What happened before Jacob? Who discovered it first? Second? and we can go on... and each answer would make at least one more person disappointed. Also I believe part of Lost is how people act in situations that they may never understand, life is like this, full of mystery. I understand you don't like it, my comments will not change your opinion and that's not the point either. But maybe you can understand that there is no way to answer the questions satisfyingly like in CSI or House just because of the type of mysteries involve. I still prefer Lost with mysteries without answers than no mystery at all, but that is just me.

We're not asking for the ones from the beginning ones. Just MAIN ones they tried to drag on for seasons. They made it very clear that Aaron was important and then they just ignore it. WTH?

They should have NEVER spend half the season on the afterlife of all the characters. They could have easily made that in 1-2 episodes. They should have focused answering SOME of the questions.

Edited on 05/25/2010 6:59pm
    Edited 5 total times.

SnarkBC

[46]May 25, 2010
    • level: 8

The people who argue that we'd never be satisfied with answers to the mysteries have their heads in their butts or something. I could name ten examples off the top of my head that managed to do what Lost did not. It's fine you want to defend the show, but good lord, don't go around staying stupid crap like "You'd never be satisfied", or "You don't want to know Bens Uncles, sisters maiden name!". Yes, we would have been satisfied had we recieved engaging interesting answers in a facisnating way. No, we don't care about Bens Uncles Sisters Madien name.

KingofIPirates

[47]May 25, 2010
    • level: 32
    Theendfan wrote:

Well then I'am sorry you guys didn't get the closure you wanted. Mysteries like this that go back since the beginning of time cant have clear and concise answer unless you write an encyclopedia. The island is this... the who created it? Why is it there? What happened before Jacob? Who discovered it first? Second? and we can go on... and each answer would make at least one more person disappointed. Also I believe part of Lost is how people act in situations that they may never understand, life is like this, full of mystery. I understand you don't like it, my comments will not change your opinion and that's not the point either. But maybe you can understand that there is no way to answer the questions satisfyingly like in CSI or House just because of the type of mysteries involve.
    There's no need to write an encyclopedia, just a brief summary or even an episode based on the origins.

lostfan111

[48]May 25, 2010
    • level: 6
    Where you guys honestly expecting answers?

They had created way too many questions in 5 seasons to successfully answer all of them within 1 season. I don't need answers because it's just a form of entertainment for me. I wanted to know the story, thats about it. Frankly I'm happy with a Dues Ex Machina tactic for a "happily ever after" ending and I wouldn't have liked it too much if they all magically lived through all that, that leaves possibility of more Lost or spin offs (which just ruin a good thing). If you completely ignore the afterlife part, mostly everyone died a miserable death, 6 people got off the Island and returned to a possibly boring repetitive life, 2 people ran the island and ruled over an unimportant colony protecting something they didn't know jack about.

SnarkBC

[49]May 25, 2010
    • level: 8

What wrecks me so bad about Lost is that once season 5 hit, the show qualitatively nose dived. Shows like Supernatural and Breaking Bad put lost absolutely to shame when it comes to story telling.

OOsteb

[50]May 25, 2010
    • level: 5

Theendfan wrote:

OOsteb wrote:

As far as I'm concerned, they did change the story. Juliet blew up a bomb on the Island under the premise that the plane won't crash and their future selfs would be alive. Well it's funny that, that is exactly how season Six started. Juliet says it worked and then we see 815 landing at LAX (opps, was that the Title or something ?) with everyone on it. Sure had me fooled. I was enjoying seeing how their lives were IF the plane DIDN't crash. Now it is just a " Good " show. Ending was okay for what it was, but it could have been Great !

Well It was misdirection but not a change in the story. Since season 3 we have been told that you can not change what happened. So I think that it is fitting that they couldn't change their lives with the H-bomb (It also explains what the incident was). If they had changed their lives with the H-bomb then what we had been told during the series would have been a lie. For me, what happened made more sense for the overall story.

A " misdirection " is either a Lie Like " He went that way officer " knowing he went the opposite way OR the writers didn't know which direction they they were headed in. If it was on purpose then it was no "misdirection" it was a change. Either way, it changed my view on the show and watching re-runs will not be satisfying.

fish7474

[51]May 26, 2010
    • level: 4
    OOsteb wrote:

Theendfan wrote:

OOsteb wrote:

A " misdirection " is either a Lie Like " He went that way officer " knowing he went the opposite way OR the writers didn't know which direction they they were headed in. If it was on purpose then it was no "misdirection" it was a change. Either way, it changed my view on the show and watching re-runs will not be satisfying.

So are you saying that you would have liked it more if Juliet had set off the bomb and the effect would have been like pressing a reset button eliminating the first five seasons? I remember all the upheaval on this forum at the end of season five when so many people said that if the writers did that, they would never be forgiven. To me, the flash-sideways wasn't 'necessary' to the story, but it didn't ruin anything for me when they revealed that it was our Losties in the afterlife.

Theendfan

[52]May 26, 2010
    fish7474 wrote:
    OOsteb wrote:

Theendfan wrote:

OOsteb wrote:

So are you saying that you would have liked it more if Juliet had set off the bomb and the effect would have been like pressing a reset button eliminating the first five seasons? I remember all the upheaval on this forum at the end of season five when so many people said that if the writers did that, they would never be forgiven. To me, the flash-sideways wasn't 'necessary' to the story, but it didn't ruin anything for me when they revealed that it was our Losties in the afterlife.

Obviously I'm with fish7474. Saying the bomb was a reset would have been deleting all previous seasons and that would have been a cheat. Plus the only reason I can think of for wanting the bomb to work is so they could have a happy ending. We did get a happy ending but in a way that would stay true to the show and to life (were there is no reset button). The thing is, you may not like the flashsideways (purgatory or whatever you want to call it) but how could it change the view for the whole show if it doesn't change what happened before??? It doesn't change what happened before and that is the beauty of it, you have to deal with what happens in life no matter how tragic it is. If someone doesn't want to believe in the afterlife (which I don't think should be a problem since it is a fictional show), then the series ends with the island story, tragically but real.

ILoveSitcoms

[53]May 26, 2010
    • level: 3

It never ceases to amaze me how television writers can repeatedly pull nonsensical stuff out of their rear ends and retain an audience for so long. Some viewers pretend to understand (you're fooling no one) while others keep watching (guilty as charged) because they want to see how the show can get out of the corner they've painted themselves into. Once again the television audience has been "Twin Peaked". What has 6 seasons of Lost accomplished? Some individually entertaining episodes/moments (highlight this past season was Richard's back story) amongst hokum. But what has been accomplished more than anything is 6 solid seasons of regular ad revenue. And that's why this will be repeated in the future.

Theendfan

[54]May 26, 2010
    ILoveSitcoms wrote:

It never ceases to amaze me how television writers can repeatedly pull nonsensical stuff out of their rear ends and retain an audience for so long. Some viewers pretend to understand (you're fooling no one) while others keep watching (guilty as charged) because they want to see how the show can get out of the corner they've painted themselves into. Once again the television audience has been "Twin Peaked". What has 6 seasons of Lost accomplished? Some individually entertaining episodes/moments (highlight this past season was Richard's back story) amongst hokum. But what has been accomplished more than anything is 6 solid seasons of regular ad revenue. And that's why this will be repeated in the future.

LOL.Well I can say I was more than entertained for 6 whole years (except in Fire + Water). Like I said before, I can understand that someone doesn't like the show, what I don't understand is changing an opinion of the journey by not liking the end or not getting all the answers. That be like saying someone had a 70 year life but then it all was not worth it because he got shot in the end without having an answer for all the questions in life. Yeah it is sad and tragic but that doesn't change the prior 70 years.

ssa2204

[55]May 26, 2010
    • level: 6

Dean0Mac wrote:

Firstly I have to say I'm not 'hating' - I'm still torn in two minds here because I absolutely love the work of "Abracusedelof"; But here's a really quick and simple question...

What were the promos showing/saying between each and every season finalè and run-up to the new season; throughout the first five (and even sixth) season(s)? Was it things like

A: "Who will Kate choose, Jack or Sawyer? Will Locke finally find some standing room? Will Charlie and Claire live happy lives with baby Aaron!? Find out on all new LOST!"

or was it things like...

B: Who are 'The Others'!? What IS The Island!? Where ARE they (The 'LOSTIES' in other words)!? Who IS Jacob!? Find out on all new LOST!"

---

That right there, will answer the question "Why the hate?"

Wow, this here pretty much is the most poignant to date explanation of the anger. In short, we were sold a Mercedes, but upon delivery were given a Yugo. The show presented characters as a means to advance the story about one thing; The ISLAND. The ending completely switched gears and said "You know what? The Island is meaningless, it is all about the characters and nothing else". ABC, the studio, writers, and producers for 6 years told us to ask the questions about the island, never about the characters. The reason people have a damn good reason to be angry is that the expectation was built for 6 years. Had we known in advance we would have stopped watching. Instead we took it upon faith that when they told us to ask these questions and to merely be patient for the answers, we would get the answers with patience.

Jammet

[56]May 26, 2010
    • level: 10

As for me, I did love that ending and conclusion very much - I was touched. But there were a few things I still really wanted to know.

For example, what the island really is, and what it is for. What the light is, characters supernatural traits, no aging, what ultimately stopped people from escaping the island, or finding it, how some characters had supernatural senses or abilities. And what the smoke monster was. No, not who it was, but what it was, and what it represents. And why it represents that. What it is for. Why it is the way it is.

And all that Jazz.

Ultimatively, I must assume the answer to all these questions is: Magic.

To me, Lost became more and more a fantasy story, with magic involved. And that is what disappointed me.

But the ending was sweet anyhow. Except I really missed some faces. No Walt. No Michael.

Edited on 05/26/2010 8:29am

DarkManiaN_1979

[57]May 26, 2010
    • level: 7

Jammet wrote:

...what the island really is, and what it is for. What the light is, characters supernatural traits, no aging, what ultimately stopped people from escaping the island, or finding it, how some characters had supernatural senses or abilities. And what the smoke monster was. No, not who it was, but what it was, and what it represents. And why it represents that. What it is for. Why it is the way it is.

Exactly my feelings in that regard. I watched for 6 years, took part in the online discussions during the 1st season hiatus and played both the online game and PC VIA DOMUS video games. I theory crafted and during a season hiatus we theory crafted that THIS ending was one of the most plausible (although predictable) and yet Lindelof denied that the characters were in anyway dead and we wouldn't see a 'Purgatory ending' where the island was an in between.

Well it was sure close to it, and I'm guessing that for a few other hardcore fans as well this is the reasoning behind the "Hate". It was a good show, right up until they started spoon feeding us garbage about a supposed alternate time line that ended up just being the purgatory we weren't supposed to be getting.

Now how would you feel if they capped it off by not answering the very questions that they lured you in to begin with? So now we're not supposed to care about a) The Island b) The Black Smokes true origin c) How so many people seem to have all these magic abilities?

Lets not even start about the numerous plot holes like the Candidate requirements "..You were all flawed" then "I took you off because you became a mother". Well Jack's a father and we're ALL flawed, but that pretty much sums it up eh.

You wonder why there is so much hate? Probably because we don't like being molested visually by writers who think slapping a cheesy cliche lovey dovey ending to a mystery series was appropriate and not an enormous insult to our intellect.

RayD70

[58]May 26, 2010
    • level: 3

Simply put: Had I known that this is how they would wrap the story up, I would never have even started watching the show. It feels like 6 wasted years.

Sure, some of the scenes in the finale were nice. But as has been repeated ad nauseum, the ending had NOTHING to do with the show. At all. You could put that ending on any single TV show or movie and it would be the same.

This show was presented as (and gathered a large audience due to) a mystery/drama/adventure. You know what makes a mystery fun? SOLVING THE DAMNED MYSTERY! This show is the anti-McGuffin. The entire 6 years were a McGuffin and only one little thing was the real story (everyone dies, all good kids go to heaven).

I should have signed off when they changed an awesome character like Locke somewhere toward the end of season 2. That's when the warning bells started ringing that the show was coming off the rails. But still, I defended it, I stayed loyal to it, and just put faith in it that the show would come out all right in the end. Boy, was I naive.

They did have this "Everyone is dead" ending in mind from the beginning. Of that, I have no doubt. (but they probably died in the plane crash originally) The problem is we ALL called it in season one. Then they panicked and tried to find a way to do that ending without our seeing it coming. In the process, they repeatedly painted themselves into a corner to the point where they just gave up trying to keep the show coherent, and just threw crap at us to distract us from the ending we knew was coming in year friggin ONE.

Character motivations were never consistent... even within the last 4 episodes! Plot holes and fractured story telling all over the place. Continuity errors everywhere. Forget answers, those alone made the show horrible if they were essentially going to flip us the bird and give us the "pointless ending done beautifully."

Edited on 05/26/2010 9:35am
    Edited 2 total times.

Theendfan

[59]May 26, 2010
    DarkManiaN_1979 wrote:

Jammet wrote:

...what the island really is, and what it is for. What the light is, characters supernatural traits, no aging, what ultimately stopped people from escaping the island, or finding it, how some characters had supernatural senses or abilities. And what the smoke monster was. No, not who it was, but what it was, and what it represents. And why it represents that. What it is for. Why it is the way it is.

Exactly my feelings in that regard. I watched for 6 years, took part in the online discussions during the 1st season hiatus and played both the online game and PC VIA DOMUS video games. I theory crafted and during a season hiatus we theory crafted that THIS ending was one of the most plausible (although predictable) and yet Lindelof denied that the characters were in anyway dead and we wouldn't see a 'Purgatory ending' where the island was an in between.

Well it was sure close to it, and I'm guessing that for a few other hardcore fans as well this is the reasoning behind the "Hate". It was a good show, right up until they started spoon feeding us garbage about a supposed alternate time line that ended up just being the purgatory we weren't supposed to be getting.

Now how would you feel if they capped it off by not answering the very questions that they lured you in to begin with? So now we're not supposed to care about a) The Island b) The Black Smokes true origin c) How so many people seem to have all these magic abilities?

Lets not even start about the numerous plot holes like the Candidate requirements "..You were all flawed" then "I took you off because you became a mother". Well Jack's a father and we're ALL flawed, but that pretty much sums it up eh.

You wonder why there is so much hate? Probably because we don't like being molested visually by writers who think slapping a cheesy cliche lovey dovey ending to a mystery series was appropriate and not an enormous insult to our intellect.

Jack is not a father. And Jacob chose them because they were flawed BUT had the qualities to become protectors of the island. What he ment by saying Kate was a mother is that she now has someone that depends on her outside the island so it would be best for her to leave but ultimately it is her choice. I know this is not the point of your message but I wanted to clear those points because it is not a plot hole.

DarkManiaN_1979

[60]May 26, 2010
    • level: 7

Theendfan wrote:
    Jack is not a father. And Jacob chose them because they were flawed BUT had the qualities to become protectors of the island. What he ment by saying Kate was a mother is that she now has someone that depends on her outside the island so it would be best for her to leave but ultimately it is her choice. I know this is not the point of your message but I wanted to clear those points because it is not a plot hole.

This was a foot note to a broad range of plot holes and although you may not see that as a plot hole it is. Jack is a father, and if you believe that they were chosen to protect the island because they each have a "quality" in them, then you're missing the point.

You're opening your horizons much more than I like to as a viewer. In fact most of the people here that stated they enjoyed this episode (2-3) also stated they liked the absolute open ending and wide variety of interpretation available.

I as a viewer don't, because I believe I should be told the story and not have to make it up to compensate for poor story telling. I understand that you like the cheery, rosey 'everyone goes away in love and hugging, forgetting the past. But I and many like me do not. So if you want a awkward romance, deviate lust and a magic ability riddled journey then go watch World of Warcraft machinema. If you're going to defend what a lot of us think is a complete piece of trash, then at least do us the honor of using your real account.