Lost Forums

ABC (ended 2010)

Why blowing up the Island In Season 5???

Skevast

[1]May 25, 2010
    • level: 8

Julliet told them in the beggining of Season 6 that they Succeded with something by blowing up the island. The show had several 180° U-Turns Since then and even before that point once or twice. The most things were unimportant like Kimi got paid to Kill Jin or Sawyer being a Cop. The biggest U-Turn was the SCI-FI angle was turned to aSupernaturall angle. What was the thing with the Electro Magnetism and Desmond? How did he get the afterlife knowledge? It all Seemed as a alternate timeline until Christian Shepard arrived and began explaining.

So the most important question was way blowing up the island if there's no alternate timeline? Ofcourse their time travell had to culminate into something big because without blowing up the island all the time travell was for nothing. And they had to have the time travell because everything was building into that for 3 Seasons or so.

This ending wasn't even a candidate when the story began. I am quite sure they had no idea the first 13-14 episodes of season 6 that they were going end things like that because 99,9% of the story was building into another ending. However 99,9% of the fans were sure it was an alternate timeline and that's why they had to end things with a twist like that to make the 99,9% of the people wrong.

This twist could have worked if it would have been baked in to the earlier story line. Howerver this late twists never work because there already is to mutch story you would have to undo. Obviosly the writers have the power to end the story however they want but they still need to use the story from the earlier seasons to make it work. It's like building a puzzle, you always start with the corners and you cant change the middle of the puzzle when almost the whole puzzle is ready.

They had a big twist, the biggest twist in the history of television. however the story didn't fit at all. It's like killing of a major character with a bullet to the head and in later episodes try and explain it was just a through and through to the shoulder. It's like a character is running into a bulding with blue Jeans and when he enters the building he suddenly has a pink skirt. The blue Jeans/pink skirt switch would acctually be more forgiving.

Lost would acctually be better if they had axed it after season 5. The story would fit and we could have made our own ending in our imagination. Because this ending was a joke. It seems like the person writing the ending didn't se any of the earlier episodes. It seems he didn't even try to talk to the people who wrote the earlier episodes or even people who only seen the earlier episodes.

No matter how funny the Kimmel alternate endings are, any of them would fit better. Sure it was very touching with people crying saying they love eachother and Jack giving up his life for the Island. Sure it was very emotional however it didn't fit, it's like trying pushing a cirkle puzzle peace through a hole for a triangle. Saying the writers are genius is an insult to normal people.

With other words I could have watched the Pilot and the finale and jumping over all the episodes in between and it would have made more sense then now. I now am sure they made up the story along the way, and it's dangerous with many writers because they often forget things other writers are trying to make important. I am quite sure the writers keept talking to eachother to a minimum. It's like one person i starting to tell a story and then suddenly another person resumes and then another and another. You know when in school we did this thing the teacher started with a story nobody had a clue what it was about and then a random student had to resume telling this story with his own words. The story took a new direction for every person that resumed.

Lost seems like a story like that and with this ending you either have to change everything inbetween or the ending to make it fit. This was really dissapointing...

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Kevnay777

[2]May 25, 2010

I agree. As soon as they started season 5 I knew it wasn't going to end well. I thought season 5 was pretty entertaining just because of the whole sci fi element. Although it was entertaining I thought they should have just stuck with the surviving and trying to get off the island. That would have made the eventual series finale a whole lot better.

Edited on 05/25/2010 3:49pm

porky826

[3]May 25, 2010
    • level: 4
    It's pretty clear they knew the ending going into this season. There was a big clue in the first episode of season six that hinted to it being purgatory. At the time, nobody knew, but it's pretty clear now.

Desmond telling George that he wants to show them something. That's another clue. Eloise telling them that they're not ready. Another clue. There were clues all over. It's also very plausible that they knew the show would end with Jack dying and his eye closing. That's not exactly that far of a stretch. They wanted the end to compliment the beginning and it did just that.

The show had supernatural elements the moment John Locke was able to walk again. In fact, the moment the smoke monster showed up as well. There was no way they could scientifically explain how a smoke monster can take the form of dead people or how a smoke monster can even exist.

The writers tried to mix a lot of genre's into one. Lost is a drama, but also a sci-fi and obviously a fantasy too. It's not just one thing mixed into one. There are Ghosts in Lost. That isn't a scientific thing. Ghosts aren't real!! That's supernatural.

Juliet also wasn't referring to the bomb working. She said it worked, which she did say to Sawyer in the ALT world when he unplugged the machine. That's what she was referring too and not the bomb. You may not like the ending and everyone has an opinion, but this was not a rush job. They didn't change things just to prove people wrong.

ImNotDarioUAre

[4]May 25, 2010
    • level: 11

porky826 wrote:
    Juliet also wasn't referring to the bomb working. She said it worked, which she did say to Sawyer in the ALT world when he unplugged the machine. That's what she was referring too and not the bomb. You may not like the ending and everyone has an opinion, but this was not a rush job. They didn't change things just to prove people wrong.

Holy crap you just blew my mind. Juliette wasnt communicating to Miles from the afterlife, Miles was just listening in on their conversation in purgatory.

Damn.

Skevast

[5]May 26, 2010

porky826 wrote:
    It's pretty clear they knew the ending going into this season. There was a big clue in the first episode of season six that hinted to it being purgatory. At the time, nobody knew, but it's pretty clear now. Desmond telling George that he wants to show them something. That's another clue. Eloise telling them that they're not ready. Another clue. There were clues all over. It's also very plausible that they knew the show would end with Jack dying and his eye closing. That's not exactly that far of a stretch. They wanted the end to compliment the beginning and it did just that. The show had supernatural elements the moment John Locke was able to walk again. In fact, the moment the smoke monster showed up as well. There was no way they could scientifically explain how a smoke monster can take the form of dead people or how a smoke monster can even exist. The writers tried to mix a lot of genre's into one. Lost is a drama, but also a sci-fi and obviously a fantasy too. It's not just one thing mixed into one. There are Ghosts in Lost. That isn't a scientific thing. Ghosts aren't real!! That's supernatural. Juliet also wasn't referring to the bomb working. She said it worked, which she did say to Sawyer in the ALT world when he unplugged the machine. That's what she was referring too and not the bomb. You may not like the ending and everyone has an opinion, but this was not a rush job. They didn't change things just to prove people wrong.

you are right what am I thinking. Julliet was speaking of the candy machine that it was working. It was a magical candy machine that Jacob had touched and now that they blew up the island the machine was working again. So in your theory they went back in time to blow up the island with a nuke so they could fix the candy machine? Do you also mean the plane went down and Desmod pushed the button every 108 minutes just so they could fix that magical Candy machine in the end?? If we are going to play word games maybe we also can incooperate Walt into it, Walt was special and the candy machine was special. If they lnew what they were doing they could have filmed Walt's scenes when he was still a child so they could have explained why he was so special. Now because of Michael it seems walt wasn't welcome in heaven with the rest of them just because Michael wasn't invited.

I am pretty sure Julliet said something worked even more times then after her death and in the finale if you want to play word games. I am pretty sure she ment they were able to change things by blowing the island not fixing the candy machine. I am sure people will try to explain things with word gamesthinking ordinary thingsthey said had double meaning like the candy machine conversation. I am pretty sure the writers drove into a wall several times and made U-Turns. Just like with the bible you can explain something with any words. Lost isn't a bible and I am pretty sure what they say means exactly what they say, it has no hidden meaning Like Eve and Evil. English didn't exist when the bible was written, Latin didn't even exist back then.

The storyline was a Joke and if they planed this al along why didn't the film Walt's scenes when he was younger. Walt wasn't the first child in television history so they should have known he would look like another person in 6 years. The twist that came in the last 10 minutes wasn't planed, if it was everything between the pilot and the finaly would have been different. I am quite sure they made their mind for this twist with the "light heart of the island" angle when they changed their mind about who Adam and Eve was. I am quite sure they also changed their mind about the black smoke should have been a person. When Kimi killed Alex (Ben's daughter) Ben pushed some buttoms and the smoke attacked Kimi.

If you want to belive that all the mistakes were intentional you are free to do so. However I am quite sure I am not the only one to believe that the writters didn't know what they were doing. This Heaven twist was a way to make Lost unpredictable however they forgot all the clues they left on their way. And now the clues reffer to a fixed candy machine instead. If they made that intentionally it was a very por save. Why would Juillet tell them with her dying words that blowing up the island with a nuke fixed a candy machine in pregatory that made them all go to heaven. And Cristian Shepard became the allknowing wizard in wizard of oz.

I could either laugh with you or at you, thats also your choice. I want the 5000 and something minutes back that the writers stole from my life. I think I take the Sopranos ending from Kimels Alternate endings instead. If their death was so unimportant why make so many episodes with their life. They could have just crashed the plane and written they all died and went to heaven The End...With the original ending evrything that happened, everything they did was unimportant.

And the most important question now:

If it wasn't an alternate timeline but the pregatory wtf was the island on the bottom of the sea blowed up in the first episode of season 1. If the writers were only going to fool us with this ingenius twist in the finally, why did they fool themselves? I am quite sure it was going to be an alternate timeline until the episode of little Jacob and the light in that cave, the story line makes sense from that point...

I don't care getting all the answers, life is also a mystery and you don't always get the answers. What I care about is getting wrong answers that makes no sense. Some people can eat somebodys popo if it's served on a plate with vegetables and spices and look pleasing to the eye. I myself take a sniff and throw up, and that is the case with lost. Fool me once shame on you fool me twice shame on me. That's why I won't ever invest time in anything this writers come up with again. I Like a good twist however it has to make sense. If it don't make any sense a 6 years old could come up with a twist. You should be able to watch the pilot and think aha thats why that happened and so on.

Do anyone remember when the Losties were hidding in the bushes and the others passed by in an early season? The last oher in that group had a teddybear. I still can't make sense of that.

Or

When Ben and John Locke went to the cottage in the woods with the invisible Jacob in the chair and John Locke heard a faint "Help Me" How come he was invisible? Ben tried to Kill Locke because he heard Jacob and he didn't. How come Jacob couldn't do that trick again and Jack couldn't either become invisible when he became the new Jacob.

This are just some U-Turns in the development of the story.

I really liked Lost and I saw every episode severall times so I knew them by heart. I knew there were severall inconsistensis in the story however I choose to be forgiving. It was a lot of people writning the story line why they couldn't use every single idea. They also had the right to change their mind incase something didn't really fit. However changing their mind this late in the story is unforgiving. The ending was almost a parody itself, even the Sopranos ending would have been a better ending, because of that the parody endings in Kimmel weren't funny. I almost wished they ended it with one of those endings or use the original ending on Kimmel.

Only a person who really followed the story can understand that nothing really fits together. It's like taking peaces from 10 puzzles and mixing them together and try to solve it. There are peaces that will never fit nomatter how mutch you cut and try to change them. And saying the writers did put those peaces on purpose is really foolish. What people are trying to do is taking a flower that don't belongs in the puzzle and replace a flower that belong saying that the flower that don't really fit either with it's colors or form was meant to be there from the beginning. Just like replacing fixing the timeline with fixing a candy machine. People don't you hear yourself how foolish it sounds??

In the bible one single text can mean 10 different things, in the same way people try to repair the mistakes in the writters story line. The bible wasn't written in English and every language evolve with time. The bible is very old and thats why you can translate it very diffrently deppending on the translator. Lost was written in English just a few years ago so the words means exactly what they mean, you don't need to translate it and you can't even if you wanted to. However people will always be gullable, even very intelligent people can be gullable. That's what is generally wrong with people. If they don't do a better ending I will never watch anything those writters make and I am quite sure I am not alone, we are Legion cause we are many. Only people who don't care about the story and with a great imagination can accept this ending. Girls who watch this just to se sawyer unite with julliet or Jack to kiss Kate. I don't really care who gets who, what I care about is that Good conquers Evil and juistice qonquers injustice. With this ending I am not really sure what happened, I am still scratching my head. I am quite sure Lost was enjoyable to people who don't do mutch thinking. The boys got the girls and the girls got the boys and they all went to heaven, the ending couldn't be better for those people. It's like watching Grey's Anatomy week after week just to know who ends up with who, McSteamy With McDreamy and so on. I also watch Grey's anatomy however for whole diffrent reasons, I love god medical dramas just to learn things, and the thing I least care about is witch Doctor makes the next nurse pregnant. However 90% of people watch Grey's just because of the romance. I thought whole diffrent people group watched Lost however it seems alot of Grey's people also watched Lost, those people don't really care about if the story makes sense or if it even fits. This people accepted that Pam in Dallas dreamed for 2 Seasons just to get Bobby Ewing back. For a long time I belived the Dallas Blopper was the biggest Blopper in television history. With Losts Ending the Dallas blopper starts to make sense even though people from Pam's dream were outside of the dream because their contracts haven't expired. To make it right they should have continued the story line from the episode before Bobby died, however alot had happened people got older changed their hair styles/colors. It kind of felt like Pam been in a coma and not asleep since the world around her changed so mutch. The writer thought things could work thanks to people forgetting however it was before DVD's, now you can watch a season in a day or so and that makes it harder to forget their errors. if you watch those seasons when Bobby died and came back over a weekend you will understand. Writters in this day and age when a Season fits on 2 Blu ray disks should understand people can double check things very fast, even people with dementia can't be fooled anymore. Maybe people like Lucy Whitmore from 50 First Dates with Drew Barrymore and Adam Sandler could get fooled or 10 Second Tom from the same movie. It's rather hard for writers that have worst memory then their audience especially with DVD and Blu Ray.

In other words they would have done us a favor if they axed Lost instead. Now I will have to forget the finale to make something up in my head. Never again Damon Lindelof. Maybe I could find strenght to forgive JJ Abrams because the story he came up with was great it wasn't really his fault the writter made a popo.

So Long..................

Edited on 05/26/2010 9:10am
    Edited 5 total times.