Lost Forums

ABC (ended 2010)

Why did Charlie kill himself?

xdude85

[1]May 24, 2007
    • level: 4
    Ok I know this whole deal about Charlie has to die, but I just don't get why he would willingly lock himself in a room that's filling with water, if I were him I'd get out of there I wouldn't care if it meant everyone would get off the island if I died.  Plus Charlie was one of my favorite characters on the show too.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

sunlust

[2]May 24, 2007
    • level: 5
    There are alot of reasons outlined in the "why did charlie die for no reason thread".

mikebeech

[3]May 24, 2007
    • level: 7
    I assume he did it because he was in love with Claire, and Desmond assured him that Claire and Arron would be rescued if he died.

Raisinthesun

[4]May 24, 2007
    • level: 15
    but to give u a quick answer, he did it b/c he thought that was the only way to get Claire and Aaron off the island (b/c he loves Claire & Aaron)

But thats just my theroy........

WonderSlug

[5]May 24, 2007

xdude85 wrote:
    Ok I know this whole deal about Charlie has to die, but I just don't get why he would willingly lock himself in a room that's filling with water, if I were him I'd get out of there I wouldn't care if it meant everyone would get off the island if I died.  Plus Charlie was one of my favorite characters on the show too.

I didn't read the other thread yet, so this may already be mentioned.

My thought on this is that Charlie saw Mikhail pull the pin on the grenade.  He didn't know how much time he had left before the explosion.  Some grenades are on 3 second timers, others up to 10 seconds.

So, to be sure that the entire area didn't flood and that at least Desmond could escape using the diving equipment, Charlie reflexively closed the hatch to limit any incoming gush of water to that little cubbyhole he was in by himself.  If Charlie had tried to take the extra few seconds to get on the other side, the grenade could have already exploded before he could shut the hatch and then the entire Looking Glass would have been flooded, killing both Charlie and Desmond.

Charlie went after the sure thing which was saving Desmond and sacrificing himself.

Goalieguy

[6]May 24, 2007
    One thing, there might be something I missed that would make my Question stupid but why didnt Charlie just get out of the room and then close the door? He had time to do that.

Goalieguy

[7]May 24, 2007
    WonderSlug wrote:

xdude85 wrote:

I didn't read the other thread yet, so this may already be mentioned.

My thought on this is that Charlie saw Mikhail pull the pin on the grenade.  He didn't know how much time he had left before the explosion.  Some grenades are on 3 second timers, others up to 10 seconds.

So, to be sure that the entire area didn't flood and that at least Desmond could escape using the diving equipment, Charlie reflexively closed the hatch to limit any incoming gush of water to that little cubbyhole he was in by himself.  If Charlie had tried to take the extra few seconds to get on the other side, the grenade could have already exploded before he could shut the hatch and then the entire Looking Glass would have been flooded, killing both Charlie and Desmond.

Charlie went after the sure thing which was saving Desmond and sacrificing himself.

Wait, u already answered my Q lol thx

Eisenh0rn

[8]May 24, 2007
    • level: 10
    I think everyone's overlooking the fact that Charlie ISN'T dead. Short of the Dominic stating the fact I'm still not sold on his demise.

That port hole is big enough to swim through.

Hey if Locke can take 2 to the chest Charlie ain't dead.

Surely they can't of killed all the English people in one episode? Mel Gibson wasn't producer was he?

WonderSlug

[9]May 24, 2007

Eisenh0rn wrote:
    I think everyone's overlooking the fact that Charlie ISN'T dead. Short of the Dominic stating the fact I'm still not sold on his demise. That port hole is big enough to swim through. Hey if Locke can take 2 to the chest Charlie ain't dead. Surely they can't of killed all the English people in one episode? Mel Gibson wasn't producer was he?

Uh no.  Charlie's dead.  There's no way he could fit through that porthole.   I think only Walt would be small enough and skinny enough to fit through it.  Didn't you see Charlie just floating, motionless after Desmond read what he wrote on his hand?

In addition, Locke took two to the chest on land with breathable air.  So he could take time to breathe and have the island heal him.  Same with Mikhail.  He was shot in the chest with the arrow in the Looking Glass, but there was still breathable air that he could use to recover.

Charlie doesn't have that luxury.  Where's he gonna get air?  Desmond has access to the diving equipment but how is he going to get it to Charlie for him to breathe?

This is also why that couple that got bit by the spiders are truly dead.  They were buried alive.  No air.  Definite death.

Lady260

[10]May 24, 2007
    • level: 12
    Charlie is dead. Says so in his contract. Anyway, what I think is that Charlie was actually saving Desmond because he saw Penny on the TV screen. So Charlie knew Desmond would have killed himself going into that room just to see Penny, and the door looked like it could only be locked from the inside.

pgsuperfan

[11]May 24, 2007
    • level: 25
    mikebeech wrote:
    I assume he did it because he was in love with Claire, and Desmond assured him that Claire and Arron would be rescued if he died.

Will miss Charlie

WonderSlug

[12]May 24, 2007

Lady260 wrote:
    Charlie is dead. Says so in his contract. Anyway, what I think is that Charlie was actually saving Desmond because he saw Penny on the TV screen. So Charlie knew Desmond would have killed himself going into that room just to see Penny, and the door looked like it could only be locked from the inside.

Yes, that's another reason.  Although, if Mikhail hadn't have been there to disrupt his talking, he would have eventually summoned Desmond over (like he was trying to do before seeing Mikhail) to talk to Penny.

Eisenh0rn

[13]May 24, 2007
    You can type it, but it doesn't make it fact. What are you his contract lawyer? Charlie ain't dead.

Lady260

[14]May 24, 2007
    Eisenh0rn wrote:
    You can type it, but it doesn't make it fact. What are you his contract lawyer? Charlie ain't dead.
    Face it. Charlie IS dead. He accepted his fate.

Eisenh0rn

[15]May 24, 2007
    And another thing - All Desmonds prophecy was - was that Charlie must drown. Nothing about not being revived afterwards. Happened before after he was hanged didn't it?

Charlie and Claire the love story is NOT finished.

106dave

[16]May 24, 2007
    • level: 1
    it looked like that door would only lock from the inside plus, if it been open when the window breaks then pressure would have been lost in the sub bay too which would rapidly allow the water to flood in from there aswell. so charlie did it to save desmond but also rather than trying to escape out the blast hole, warned desmond that penny hadnt sent naomi.

WonderSlug

[17]May 24, 2007

Eisenh0rn wrote:
    And another thing - All Desmonds prophecy was - was that Charlie must drown. Nothing about not being revived afterwards. Happened before after he was hanged didn't it? Charlie and Claire the love story is NOT finished.

Face it. Charlie is DEAD.

All those examples of healing and reviving you gave happened to people when they had access to air to breathe.  Where is Charlie going to get air?

In addition, the island would be the one healing them wouldn't it?  Thinking of it as a sentient being for a moment, why would the island "choose" to "save" Charlie?  What is the reason?

acu02151

[18]May 24, 2007
    • level: 3
    I think the whole he did it because he loved claire and arron is a pritty poor argument. He had done what was needed to get claire and arron off the island and he was more than capable of swimming back out of the looking glass, so why wouldn't he want to go back to them and continue living with them off the island? Love does make you do stupid things but killing yourself after the job is done seems kinda stupid. As for doing it to save desmond well the station was kinda big, it would of taken a while for it to fill with water. Now they had swam down without oxygen tanks so even if they didn't have time to get them on the could of still swam back up. I personaly think this was a poor death for charlie, sure he may of been leaving the show but I think the writers could of given him a much better send off. Come on even the whole swim down into a flooded station and drown would of been a better death.

sunlust

[19]May 24, 2007
    • level: 5

Eisenh0rn wrote:
    Charlie and Claire the love story is NOT finished.

It better be, it's better for everyone this way.  That way Charlie won't go on a vision quest and "set fire" to her tent while she sleeps or drown the kid.  He goes out on a high note.

Lady260

[20]May 24, 2007
    acu02151 wrote:
    I think the whole he did it because he loved claire and arron is a pritty poor argument. He had done what was needed to get claire and arron off the island and he was more than capable of swimming back out of the looking glass, so why wouldn't he want to go back to them and continue living with them off the island? Love does make you do stupid things but killing yourself after the job is done seems kinda stupid. As for doing it to save desmond well the station was kinda big, it would of taken a while for it to fill with water. Now they had swam down without oxygen tanks so even if they didn't have time to get them on the could of still swam back up. I personaly think this was a poor death for charlie, sure he may of been leaving the show but I think the writers could of given him a much better send off. Come on even the whole swim down into a flooded station and drown would of been a better death.

I think Charlie was too busy to think about Claire and Aaron at the moment, so yeah that is a poor argument.