We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Lost Forums

ABC (ended 2010)

Why didn't Jack become new smoke monster??

James_888

[1]May 24, 2010
    • level: 2

Jacob threw MIB in to the light.. he died and became the smoke monster!
    Desmond was special and could resist the light??? wasn't that what Charles Widmoresaid?

But why didn't Jack become Smoky??? he handed over his job to Hurley so he was not special anymore.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

kMaan

[2]May 24, 2010
    • level: 9

I'm pretty sure the light was much stronger the first time when MIB went inside. After that it seemed weak and like he absorbed most of it

Brodoin15

[3]May 24, 2010
    • level: 20

I admit, I was almost expecting Jack to become the "White Smoke" but the post above makes sense.

Cyberfairy

[4]May 24, 2010
    • level: 6
    Maybe because MIB had so much evil inside himself already? Jack maybe was such a good spirit there was no entity that could manifest from his darkness.

qbanpete79

[5]May 24, 2010
    • level: 7

Its been explained what the smoke monster is. He is not Adam (MIB) watch the episode where Ben is confronted by alex and she tells him to follow Locke . You will see an egyptian Hieroglyph of what maybe Anubis praying to a floating skull with electricty as a body (hence the smoke monster) Jack didnt turn into the smoke monster because when the plug was removed the smoke monster lost its power and was killed. No more smoky. So Jack couldnt summon or call out a Smoke monster since its dead and gone.

Cyberfairy

[6]May 24, 2010
    • level: 6
    qbanpete79 wrote:

Its been explained what the smoke monster is. He is not Adam (MIB) watch the episode where Ben is confronted by alex and she tells him to follow Locke . You will see an egyptian Hieroglyph of what maybe Anubis praying to a floating skull with electricty as a body (hence the smoke monster) Jack didnt turn into the smoke monster because when the plug was removed the smoke monster lost its power and was killed. No more smoky. So Jack couldnt summon or call out a Smoke monster since its dead and gone.

But MIB said Jacob stole his physical body, and all of his past thoughts were still with him (like his hatred for people and Jacob).

qbanpete79

[7]May 24, 2010
    Cyberfairy wrote:
    qbanpete79 wrote:

But MIB said Jacob stole his physical body, and all of his past thoughts were still with him (like his hatred for people and Jacob).

Smoky when in lockes form said the same thing. It was nothing more then a lie to get people on his side and not follow Jacob

kott3n

[8]May 24, 2010
    • level: 3
    Jack was alive when he entered the light and was just transferred outside. MiB was hit in the head....went head first down a 30 feet drop and broke his neck, dying when he floated into the lightpit. MiBs dead body was transferred outside while his "soul"/"lifeenergy" became the smokemonster.

KingofIPirates

[9]May 24, 2010
    • level: 32
    James_888 wrote:

Jacob threw MIB in to the light.. he died and became the smoke monster!
    Desmond was special and could resist the light??? wasn't that what Charles Widmoresaid?

But why didn't Jack become Smoky??? he handed over his job to Hurley so he was not special anymore.

What probably caused this was because Jack still had Guardian status given the fact he confirms to Hurley that Hurley became like him, similar to what happened with Crazy Mom and Jacob,etc.
    qbanpete79 wrote:
    Cyberfairy wrote:
    qbanpete79 wrote:

Smoky when in lockes form said the same thing. It was nothing more then a lie to get people on his side and not follow Jacob
    Uh no, Smokey confirmed that his mother was crazy as well. Plus MIB and Smokey just happen to coincidentally want to get off the island and share much of the same motivations and personality? Not to mention there were rules already set in place in that Jacob could not kill his brother and vice versa and with this rule it means the light itself doesn't actually kill an individual so much as separate their consciousness from the physical bonds of their body. Which means MIB can't be dead as it'd be in direct violation of the rules and if his physical body is dead the only other option is that's his consciousness is alive as Smokey.

Then there's the fact that Jacob recently confirmed he was responsible for the Smoke Monster, when he states "I'm responsible for what happened to him, I made him that way and ever since then he's been trying to kill me".
    Edited on 05/24/2010 7:32pm

fifty_games

[10]May 24, 2010
    The creators said that MIB was smoke monster, and he assumed his own body from time to time.
    Seriously when Jack was laying down in the cave pool, I thought I heard some smokie noises, meaning he would become the new smoke monster. He would have been trapped by Hugo, but however wouldnt have turned pure evil like MIB.

KingofIPirates

[11]May 24, 2010
    fifty_games wrote:

Seriously when Jack was laying down in the cave pool, I thought I heard some smokie noises, meaning he would become the new smoke monster. He would have been trapped by Hugo, but however wouldnt have turned pure evil like MIB.
    Jack still retained his guardian status as it doesn't seem to truly pass on until he dies.
    Edited on 05/24/2010 8:12pm

ImNotDarioUAre

[12]May 24, 2010
    • level: 11

KingofIPirates wrote:
    fifty_games wrote:
    Unlikely, MIB's transformation into the Smoke Monster was immediate and Jack would no longer be 'in' his body but would've been separated much like MIB.

I kind of expected once he died another Jack would come up beside him and look down at him, then they play the eerie music.

And Jack was special because he had all his protector powers. There was nothing indicating lost his powers before he went into the cave.

Megaman200798

[13]May 24, 2010
    • level: 13
    Because Jack was special +)

KingofIPirates

[14]May 24, 2010
    ImNotDarioUAre wrote:
    And Jack was special because he had all his protector powers. There was nothing indicating lost his powers before he went into the cave.
    My Mistake, momentarily forgot about that.

AnilThornberry

[15]May 24, 2010
    • level: 19
    Maybe it could also be because he was already stabbed and wounded...he was about to die.

avi01

[16]May 25, 2010
    • level: 26
    Jack was the guardian.

shan73

[17]May 25, 2010
    • level: 5
    This is an answer which we will never know!!
    I was waiting for him to be the smoke monster and saying that the island will always have one!!

mrjulian

[18]May 25, 2010
    • level: 13
    Well, in Across The Sea, Jacob killed his brother and then his body went to the light and he turned into smoke mosnter... Jack was alive (nearly dead, but still alive) the whole time. I guess that's why he didn't turn into smoke. It's my theory anyway.

shan73

[19]May 25, 2010
    • level: 5

I am not sure he killed him before throwing him in the light...he just threw him in the light alive... Isnt it?

ErikN81

[20]May 25, 2010
    • level: 2

Perhaps the smoke creature was trapped inside the Source, and required a human sacrifice in order to liberate itself. By consuming MIB's soul, it was able to leave.