Lost Forums

ABC (ended 2010)

Why people REALLY hated the finale

CharmedOneP391

[61]Sep 20, 2010
    • level: 19

KingofIPirates wrote:
    CharmedOneP391 wrote:
    but I also remember that the only reason the EME started making the Island flash threw time is because the wheel was turned and put the Island/Light/Energy off it's axis.
    And the island was subsequently put back on it's axis by Locke..
    CharmedOneP391 wrote:
    So who's to say that the Electromagnetic Energy didn't absorb the bomb's blast...and sent them back to 2007?
    For one the show already confirms otherwise. The bomb was said to be able to destroy that electromagnetic energy so the bombs blast now being absorbed by that energy detracts completely from what was previously stated in the show.
    {FARADAY: Us. We're the variables. People. We think. We reason. We make choices. We have free will. We can change our destiny. I think I can negate that energy under the Swan. I think I can destroy it. If I can, then that hatch will never be built, and your plane... your plane will land, just like it's supposed to, in Los Angeles.

KATE: And just how exactly do you plan on destroying this energy?
    FARADAY: I'm gonna detonate a hydrogen bomb.}

Two, even if it could be absorbed the vast influx of energy would only accelerate the time travel phase so they would've been flung far further into the future than just thirty years.
    Three, the island has already shown it can time travel without the bomb so there's no evidence such a fusion occured in the first place.
    CharmedOneP391 wrote:
    I mean yeaa I know it sounds weird but thats Lost for you.
    That'd be like suggesting Jack and the other Losties could fly if they just believed it solely on the basis that weird things happen in Lost. Unless there's definitive proof that supports this then it would be an invalid claim.

1.Faraday's plan to destroy the energy didn't work. It didn't destroy it. The variables didn't change their destinies. So what Faraday thought would happen is exactly the opposite of what was stated on the show..which is that when Juliet hit the bomb with the rock..they were sent back forward in time.

2.The show never once stated that detonating Jughead would accelerate time way further than 30 years..

3.No evidence other than the cliffhanger of season 5 being Juliet hitting the bomb above the electromagnetic energy that is under the Swan..then..instead of a big nuclear explosion, there is a big bright white light and then..they're back in 2007.

And yes I don't belive I would've watched the show or be having these conversations about it had something like Jack being able to fly being the case and just chalking it up to Lost being weird...but this is what was shown on the show...

Edited on 09/20/2010 1:21pm
    Edited 3 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

KingofIPirates

[62]Sep 20, 2010
    • level: 32
    CharmedOneP391 wrote:
    1.Faraday's plan to destroy the energy didn't work. It didn't destroy it.
    The bomb didn't even go off..
    CharmedOneP391 wrote:
    So what Faraday thought would happen is exactly the opposite of what was stated on the show..
    Because the bomb never went off.

CharmedOneP391 wrote:

which is that when Juliet hit the bomb with the rock..they were sent back forward in time.
    The incident sent them forward in time.
    CharmedOneP391 wrote:
    2.The show never once stated that detonating Jughead would accelerate time way further than 30 years..
    Nor did the show state that Jugheads detonation even had anything to do with time traveling but we're extrapolating from your own theory aren't we?
    Theoretically speaking if Jughead had been involved the vast influx of energy would've accelerated the time traveling phase wouldn't it? I mean it's only logical as you did previously state that it would have absorbed the blast.

CharmedOneP391 wrote:
    3.No evidence other than the cliffhanger of season 5 being Juliet hitting the bomb above the electromagnetic energy that is under the Swan..then..instead of a big nuclear explosion, there is a big bright white light and then..they're back in 2007.
    Uh.. That's the same light that was shown when they were all time traveling back and forth. The cliffhanger served as no indication of the bomb even going off because all that was shown was that same bright white light when the island was off it's axis. That's it..

CharmedOneP391 wrote:
    And yes I don't belive I would've watched the show or be having these conversations about it had something like Jack being able to fly being the case and just chalking it up to Lost being weird...but this is what was shown on the show...
    Uh? What?? When has Jack flown on the show?
    Edited on 09/20/2010 2:57pm
    Edited 2 total times.

CharmedOneP391

[63]Sep 20, 2010

KingofIPirates wrote:
    CharmedOneP391 wrote:
    1.Faraday's plan to destroy the energy didn't work. It didn't destroy it.
    The bomb didn't even go off..
    CharmedOneP391 wrote:
    So what Faraday thought would happen is exactly the opposite of what was stated on the show..
    Because the bomb never went off.
    CharmedOneP391 wrote:
    which is that when Juliet hit the bomb with the rock..they were sent back forward in time.
    The incident sent them forward in time.
    CharmedOneP391 wrote:
    Nor did the show state that Jugheads detonation even had anything to do with time traveling but we're extrapolating from your own theory aren't we? Theoretically speaking if Jughead had been involved the vast influx of energy would've accelerated the time traveling phase wouldn't it? I mean it's only logical as you did previously state that it would have absorbed the blast.
    CharmedOneP391 wrote:
    Uh.. That's the same light that was shown when they were all time traveling back and forth. The cliffhanger served as no indication of the bomb even going off because all that was shown was that same bright white light when the island was off it's axis. That's it..
    CharmedOneP391 wrote:
    Uh? What?? When has Jack flown on the show?

I didn't mean Jack flying was shown on the show. I was talking about Juliet hitting the bomb and it sending them forward through time.

And yeaa I guess it's my own theory on what I saw happening.

Your saying that the Incident (Dharma digging too deeply into the eme) caused the bright light which pushed them forward..but then why wouldn't they just leave the scene showing Juliet still being alive and hitting the bomb 8 times until the big bright light went off and we heard a boom out? Why even show it if it didn't cause what happened?

KingofIPirates

[64]Sep 20, 2010
    CharmedOneP391 wrote:
    Your saying that the Incident (Dharma digging too deeply into the eme) caused the bright light which pushed them forward..but then why wouldn't they just leave the scene showing Juliet still being alive and hitting the bomb 8 times until the big bright light went off and we heard a boom out? Why even show it if it didn't cause what happened?
    To add tension and generate excitement for the following season. Plenty of shows add certain elements for no other reason than creating drama even if we find out it turns out to be unnecessary in the long run. Case in point the mystery surrounding the numbers. For the longest time we were led to believe the numbers were strange, ominous and that they even had a power behind them based on the events surrounding them and the vast amount of places they appeared. Now it seems that all the mysterious activity surrounding the numbers were all for naught and they were just random numbers Jacob thought up to represent the candidates.

RizNYC

[65]Sep 21, 2010
    • level: 5

It just wasn't that good of a show. They had unrolled this gignatic ball of mystery for 5 seasons and it was incredible. But they just didn't have a solid gameplan to wrap it all up. And what they chose to do for an ending was horrific. That glowing cave still haunts me. What an awful, awful show.

friendserking

[66]Sep 22, 2010
    • level: 13

KingofIPirates wrote:
    CharmedOneP391 wrote:
    To add tension and generate excitement for the following season. Plenty of shows add certain elements for no other reason than creating drama even if we find out it turns out to be unnecessary in the long run.

Or maybe the bomb did go off lol.

KingofIPirates

[67]Sep 22, 2010
    friendserking wrote:

Or maybe the bomb did go off lol.

Absolutely no evidence that it even did. The bomb should've gone off when it was first dropped down the swan site; the bomb should've gone off when Juliet hit it the first time, the bomb should've gone off with the second hit, the third hit, the fourth hit, the fifth hit... seems to me it was a wee-bit defective. And this is of course not factoring in the other pieces of evidence against it.

CharmedOneP391

[68]Sep 23, 2010

The Synopsis of LA X (1&2):

The aftermath from Juliet's detonation of the hydrogen bomb is revealed.

buildam2005

[69]Sep 23, 2010
    • level: 14
    CharmedOneP391 wrote:

Yes, because those synopses are always fully accurate and never written ambiguously in order to leave viewers in the dark as to what is occurring.

CharmedOneP391

[70]Sep 24, 2010

buildam2005 wrote:
    CharmedOneP391 wrote:

Yes, because those synopses are always fully accurate and never written ambiguously in order to leave viewers in the dark as to what is occurring.

Thanks guy for the sarcasm. and fully accurate or not..it's still talking about what happened in the episode BEFORE hand. Juliet detonated the bomb...doesn't say there was a boom. The aftermath is them being on the Island back in 2007...

& Whether or not you want to believe that the detonation of the bomb was the moment where they created the purgatory or not...the flashsideways is also the aftermath...or so they lead you to believe throughout the season.

Edited on 09/24/2010 7:56am

KingofIPirates

[71]Sep 24, 2010
    CharmedOneP391 wrote:
    and fully accurate or not..
    For one, the information you provide has to be fully accurate or it's inherently flawed in the first place making it ultimately untrustworthy.

CharmedOneP391 wrote:
    it's still talking about what happened in the episode BEFORE hand. Juliet detonated the bomb...doesn't say there was a boom.

Synopsis's have been wrong before.

Not to mention a similar type synopsis was given for the episode The Substitute where it states "Locke goes in search of aid to further help his cause." but that wasn't Locke it was in fact Smokey. In fact there are nine synopses of the episodes in Season 6 where his name is used and none of them bother to even make the distinction. If you had just been reading the synopses instead of watching the episodes, you would've been under the impression that Locke was actually still alive and was somehow struggling to get off the island..

CharmedOneP391 wrote:
    Whether or not you want to believe that the detonation of the bomb was the moment where they created the purgatory or not...the flashsideways is also the aftermath
    As well as everything that happened in Season 6, doesn't mean a supposed detonation would've created Jack killing Smokey or Dogen giving Sayid a poison pill.

friendserking

[72]Sep 25, 2010

KingofIPirates wrote:
    CharmedOneP391 wrote:
    and fully accurate or not..
    For one, the information you provide has to be fully accurate or it's inherently flawed in the first place making it ultimately untrustworthy.
    CharmedOneP391 wrote:
    it's still talking about what happened in the episode BEFORE hand. Juliet detonated the bomb...doesn't say there was a boom.
    Synopsis's have been wrong before. Not to mention a similar type synopsis was given for the episode The Substitute where it states "Locke goes in search of aid to further help his cause." but that wasn't Locke it was in fact Smokey. In fact there are nine synopses of the episodes in Season 6 where his name is used and none of them bother to even make the distinction. If you had just been reading the synopses instead of watching the episodes, you would've been under the impression that Locke was actually still alive and was somehow struggling to get off the island..
    CharmedOneP391 wrote:
    Whether or not you want to believe that the detonation of the bomb was the moment where they created the purgatory or not...the flashsideways is also the aftermath
    As well as everything that happened in Season 6, doesn't mean a supposed detonation would've created Jack killing Smokey or Dogen giving Sayid a poison pill.

There are some things that are left up to opinion in the history of Lost but Im sorry I really dont think this is one of them. It could not of been any clearer that the bomb went off.

KingofIPirates

[73]Sep 25, 2010
    friendserking wrote:
    There are some things that are left up to opinion in the history of Lost but Im sorry I really dont think this is one of them. It could not of been any clearer that the bomb went off.
    In order for something to be clear the evidence within the show itself has to support it. Except, nothing really does and in fact the majority of the evidence diverges from that possibility.

buildam2005

[74]Sep 26, 2010
    KingofIPirates wrote:
    friendserking wrote:
    In order for something to be clear the evidence within the show itself has to support it. Except, nothing really does and in fact the majority of the evidence diverges from that possibility.

Gotta agree with King here--the evidence against the bomb actually exploding is much greater than that pointing to its going off.

These simple plotting issues, though, point out the biggest of Lost's flaws: basic storytelling problems. Analysis and discussion is great, but viewers shouldn't have to debate the actual plot. That's problematic.

friendserking

[75]Sep 27, 2010

buildam2005 wrote:
    KingofIPirates wrote:
    friendserking wrote:
    Gotta agree with King here--the evidence against the bomb actually exploding is much greater than that pointing to its going off. These simple plotting issues, though, point out the biggest of Lost's flaws: basic storytelling problems. Analysis and discussion is great, but viewers shouldn't have to debate the actual plot. That's problematic.

I dont think the lost writers expected us to debate about this because it is pretty clear to me anyway the nuke went off. They would not have shown Juliet bang on the bomb if they didnt want you to think it went off. They would have done something different to end the season. They showed Juliet banging on the bomb because she gets it to blow up. And again Juliet says that it worked. She means the bomb went off in the pocket of energy like planned and created the whatever land because she was mixing in and out before she dies.

Edited on 09/26/2010 11:31pm

dougieee7

[76]Sep 27, 2010
    • level: 2

Lets face it, people felt decieved, after the ending to season 5, I like everyone else believed that a seperate timeline had been created by the detonation of the bomb. But then as season 6 progresses you are just left with more and more WTF moments, things thar DONT make sense because you thought you had a handle on it and then, last episode you learn that the whole alt-reality had jack all to do with the island and no real relevence to what happened there *Other than to give the writers an excuse to have a big post mortal reunion.

Despite people defending it, the better part of season 6 had NO real relevence and I think thats why people are disgruntled.

When shows end people expect a big neat bow tied around all the plot lines and characters so they can have piece of mind, this didnt happen so you really have to take the show as it is.

buildam2005

[77]Sep 27, 2010
    friendserking wrote:

buildam2005 wrote:
    KingofIPirates wrote:
    friendserking wrote:
    Gotta agree with King here--the evidence against the bomb actually exploding is much greater than that pointing to its going off. These simple plotting issues, though, point out the biggest of Lost's flaws: basic storytelling problems. Analysis and discussion is great, but viewers shouldn't have to debate the actual plot. That's problematic.

I dont think the lost writers expected us to debate about this because it is pretty clear to me anyway the nuke went off. They would not have shown Juliet bang on the bomb if they didnt want you to think it went off. They would have done something different to end the season. They showed Juliet banging on the bomb because she gets it to blow up. And again Juliet says that it worked. She means the bomb went off in the pocket of energy like planned and created the whatever land because she was mixing in and out before she dies.

But when you watch "The End," it's clear that Juliet is NOT referring to the bomb. Her afterlife self is talking about the vending machine, and we're seeing that consciousness shift into the real timeline, so what she says then has absolutely no bearing on whether the bomb actually went off or not. And I don't see how Juliet attempting to hit the bomb is actual evidence that it went off. It's evidence that Juliet was TRYING to set the bomb off, but it's not proof that it actually did go off. And how, exactly, would the bomb going off create the alternate/afterlife universe? Jack's dad says that THEY ALL created it, not Juliet or the bomb--somehow these characters developed a magic power to be able to form their own version of the world as an afterlife for when they all died. There's absolutely zero evidence that this happened as a result of Juliet's bomb. In fact, because Shannon and others who died before the bomb are there, the indication is that the bomb attempt and the afterlife are in no way related, because how would those who died before the bomb end up there?

KingofIPirates

[78]Sep 27, 2010
    buildam2005 wrote:
    because how would those who died before the bomb end up there?
    Not to mention those who were never involved in dealing with the bomb in the first place like Rose and Bernard, Claire, Ben, Sun, Aaron (who was a toddler at the time), Desmond, Penny, etc.

CharmedOneP391

[79]Sep 27, 2010

The bomb didn't explode...but it was detonated.

To me the bomb was detonated and instead of exploding it "mixes" with the time travel-activating electromagnetic light that pushes them 30 years into the future to when Jacob was killed. There's not necessarily evidence that the bomb "went-off" but there's not evidence of it not "going off" either.

KingofIPirates

[80]Sep 27, 2010
    CharmedOneP391 wrote:
    but there's not evidence of it not "going off" either.
    Actually there is evidence directly within the story that blatantly contradicts the idealogy of the bomb going off. Wherein Faraday wanting to use the bomb to destroy the pocket of energy but for some reason you conclude that he was wrong and that the bomb still went off despite that.

CharmedOneP391 wrote:
    There's not necessarily evidence that the bomb "went-off" but there's not evidence of it not "going off" either.
    Even so For a claim to be made there first has to be some evidence of it in the first place. One can make the supposition that Walt was really an alien sent to this planet who fused with the fetus inside Susan Lloyd(His mother) which explains the mysterious aura/power surrounding him. And while there's absolutely no evidence to support it.. there's also no real evidence against it which is why for a claim to be substantial there has to be some evidence of it within the show.