Lost

Greatest Hits

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM May 16, 2007 on ABC

• The redemption of Charlie.

Charlie had become so annoying for his insecure, envious, basically loser behavior. Trying to save Aaron by scaring Claire to death and assaulting Sun just to help him get back at Locke. Not to mention just acting sullen and sulky, one of my favorite characters from the beginning had become an eyesore. Well, there's nothing like sacrificial death to help get you on the audience's good side again, and the episode Greatest Hits a is a moving prologue to what will be Charlie's greatest moment in the season finale, willingly giving his life for the rescue of Claire and the other survivors.

This episode moved me primarily because it's powerful to see someone quietly accepting their fate, their death. In fact, the hero in Charlie finally comes out as we see that dying for the ones he loves is something profound for him -- he has finally found his role in life.

It's powerful to see someone who had once been a good person destined for greatness, who then became something of a fool, find themselves again.
  • My personal favorite.

What can I say... no matter how many times I watch this episode the tears keep coming. "Greatest Hits" really just tugs at the heart strings for those that love Charlie. As you all know this episode is Charlie's "last" episode featuring his flash backs. The flashbacks are the top five best moments of his life. The sweetest thing about these memories are that they are real, they are humbling and they have such special connections with other characters on the show. Numbers 3-1 are when the emotions really start running and don't stop.

"#3.The Christmas Liam gave me the ring." Charlie leaves the DS ring to Aaron because it was meant to go to his son.

"#2.The woman outside Covent Garden calls me a hero" He rescues a woman in the alley who turns out to be Sayid's Nadia and she tells him that he is a true hero. The final and best moment (I cried for a good 20 minutes after this one) "#1.The night I met you." From the second the chemistry between Charlie and Claire started you just wanted them together and each bump they would hit in their relationship, you felt like you wanted to crawl into that TV and help them work it out. They had such a sweet, pure and genuine love for one another without screaming it all over the TV. It was the love that didn't even get its chance. I am a hopeless romantic at heart, and being that Charlie was/is my favorite character, this makes "Greatest Hits" my all time favorite episode. I wonder... did Aaron ever get the ring?
  • Charlie's "Greatest Hits" revealed!!

“Greatest Hits” provides a good segway into the season finale. However, I felt this episode was a tad messy. The overall story was captivating, and the end was heart-attack inducing (as per usual), but something was just odd. It mostly has to do with the flashbacks. Once they got going, I understood that each of these flashbacks is one of Charlie’s “greatest hits”. However, like I said, it felt messy going back and fourth so many time periods of Charlie’s life. Plus, the “6 hours ago” (I think it was six) flashback to the Others felt very out of place. Interesting, but out of place. In no way do I doubt Stephen Williams’s direction; he’s proved himself over and over again. I guess he was just taking a new route for this episode?

Also, I hate to say it, but at times I questioned the relevance of the flashbacks. I certainly didn’t want another “Stranger in a Strange Land” for Charlie. However, the heart-wrenching “hits” they each revealed totally makes up for any kind of “SIASL” similarities.

I never pegged Charlie as the “greatest hits” type, but his list just makes me love him even more. I knew the #1 hit was going to have something to do with Claire; I just wasn’t sure exactly what. I thought possibly their first kiss, but the moment Charlie picked is simply adorable and truly meaningful.

I laughed at the DS ring. I can’t remember the name it stands for, but it’s cool that it originally had nothing to do with Drive Shaft. And Liam talking about how he’ll never get married and have kids was humorously ironic.

The (re-)flashback to the Wonderwall scene made me think. I’m sure other people will notice this, but Desmond did not appear. I know that that has to do with his time travel, of course – but I got to thinking about how each event leads to another, and the whole space-time continuum craziness. Was Desmond really there the first time? Would Charlie remember seeing him (as some drugged-up guy on the street, of course)? Could Desmond’s interference have caused Charlie to be a second too late to help the woman in the ally? If TPTB ever decide to delve into the topic of time travel again, it will be interesting to see if this particular scene is readdressed. And I know most of this is rambling, but I really am fascinated by the concept of time travel!

I was whole-heartedly expecting Charlie to die. I was sooo happy when LOST appeared and he was still alive! Of course I want him to live, but let’s save any drama for the season finale. I couldn’t go into the final episode knowing Charlie is dead. Anyway, here’s hoping for the best.

Back on the main beach, I still don’t know where to stand when it comes to Juliet. She didn’t have much character development this episode, but I’m still on the fence about exactly how truthful she’s being. I liked seeing Karl. For some reason he just make me laugh. Plus, if he saves the Losties, he gets major points.

I’m happy Sayid stood up to Jack and told him to take the camp the tower instead of staying on the beach. The group scenes, especially when Kate said, “Here we go again” strongly reminded me first season glory. It’s so strange that THREE years ago the raft was launched and the hatch was opened. Those were the days…

Speaking of the hatch, where is Locke?! Is he alive?! The writers sure know how to reel us in for the season finale! And what an explosive finale it looks like it will be – no pun intended.
  • Not what we expected, in either the flashback or the ending

Well, we're almost at the end of the season, and as is the custom we expect some huge revelations. We get more than a few in 'Greatest Hits', but after everything we've seen it might seem as a disappointment that the focus of the flashback is not someone more central but rather Charlie, who's been on the cusp of things all season, but never been in focus. But there's more to it than that.

First of all, we found out what the hell Jack has been planning ever since he learned Juliet was the mole, which he's known since 'D.O.C.' His plan is to wait for when the Others come to their campground, and have their tents set up with the dynamite from the 'Black Rock' When the Others arrive, he plans to blow them to bits. But Jack is so focused on his vision of vengeance, he seems to have forgotten Naomi and hopes of rescue. This is understandable, because when she became public knowledge, rather than celebrate their eminent rescue, they all started bickering about why Desmond and Hurley kept this a secret, and why no one told Jack. At one point Naomi actually says "Don't you people want to be rescued?" and it's a fair question, given the way people have been behaving. When Sayid raises the question, it finally seems to rouse Jack, and they focus us on a project that no one's followed up on since Day 2--- finding the radio tower where Rousseau's message was being broadcast from. Now we learn something even more tangent--- the signal is also being jammed by another Dharma station called the Looking Glass. According to Juliet, it's underwater and has been unmanned for years. But Sayid (who must have liberated the schematics when he was searching the Flame station in 'Enter 77') thinks he can find. But in order to turn it off, someone has to go underwater and do it manually.
    Once again, Jack dillies and dallies, but not for long. Minutes later, Karl (who has been persona non grata since Sawyer turned him loose in 'Stranger in a Strange Land') turns up with another warning ---- the Others are coming right now. This leads to a fascinating side route. Ben returns to the Others camps and, rather than answer anyone's question about Locke, he instead tells the Other that he's moving up the timetable. When Richard asks why, he says Jacob ordered it. This was the first time I suspected that Ben really hadn't been talking to anyone, cause I'm damn sure Jacob didn't tell him that. He also gives a gun back to Alex which he says she gave to Locke, but we will soon know that, too, was a lie. Ben is trying to regroup but things are spinning out of control. And Alex is the one who betrays him by telling Karl to warn the passengers. This proves that she was never really an Other, and that she clearly doesn't think Ben was ever her father. We won't see the true ramifications of this for another episode.

So when Karl comes, they have to drastically alter their plans, which leads to them leaving three behind ---- Sayid, Jin and Bernard (Yes, Rose and Bernard are back after having been gone all season. Nothing good can come from this) But what does any of this have to do with Charlie? Desmond has another of his visions in this episode, one that would seem to lead to rescue. (Given what we will later learn, I question the veracity of this, too, but let's let it go for now.) In order for this to happen, Charlie has to die (which may have been the reason Desmond had to save him all those times in the first place.) So, without knowing the details, he volunteers to go on a suicide mission underwater. (Now we have a glitch: on Day 6, a woman died when she went out swimming, and Charlie said he didn't swim.. Not he can't swim; he doesn't. Now possibly Charlie was still going through the bad part of his heroin addiction so he was afraid of dying, but why wouldn't Jack remember this? Maybe he was too focus on the drowning woman.) Anyway, Charlie says he can go.

Up until now, all of the flashbacks have been pretty unhappy moments for everybody, with little joy. When Jack got married or performed a miracle surgery on a woman, or when Locke found love with Helen, subsequent flashbacks would destroy them, so they would be very painful moments. Even Hurley's flashbacks which have been funny were painful moments to him as well. Charlie has been no different; has flashbacks have shown how he gave upo his religion to become a rock star, watched his band fall apart, while his brother got clean, and he was unable to accept that he was a has been.

But now, Charlie knows he's about to die, and he's decided that if the last 90 days have been a gift from some kind of benevolent entity, he's going to take only positive memories with him. We've seen Charlie's father as a cruel man, but now he's a proud papa. Liam has been seen as an enabler who destroyed his brother even as he cleaned himself back up; now we see two flashbacks where he showed them moment of pure happiness, where they showed him a gift. We've seen Charlie act cowardly in the face of adversity; now we see him save a woman's life in an alleyway (Interestingly, the woman was Nadia, Sayid's beloved who he's still searching from. Ironically, this took place in London, and we know that 'The Greater Good' Sayid spent time there. They may have just missed each other.) And the greatest moment of his life? The moment he met Claire. And we know right away he thought she was special. He was wearing his hood, meaning he was on drugs, but when he saw her, he took the hood off. He makes his final goodbyes. He leaves his Driveshaft ring (which we know has great significance to him in flashback #3) in Aaron's cradle, passing it down to his adopted son. Then it is lost (but it will turn up again, and I have no doubt there is still significance to it) He has a clingy moment with Hurley, even though there's a hint of malice in it. And when Desmond offers to take his place one last time, he makes sure that can't happen, and bravely jumps in.

Except he doesn't. Despite everything we've learned, he find a gap, and pulls himself to freedom. But his elation is short lived, as two Others emerge from the Looking Glass armed and really upset. Looks like Ben has been lying again. As I am a sentimental sap, I can't help but cheer to find him alive, wondering what will happen next

'Greatest Hits' isn't a perfect episode (it tries to cram in a lot of information in one hour, and does leave some gaps) and there area few holes that the series hasn't tried to explain for another season. But it does set things up for the season finale, which will be a total game changer for everybody.
  • Maybe the Best Drama Produced in Lost!!!

Objective - » Very simple, with only 3 episodes left, who would be the better person to focus? Exactly, Charlie and it is time for him to die like a hero. The focus are his situation, his flashbacks in form of highlights (his greatest 5 moments) and Jack and Co, which already was in setup for the Complication Phase. Flashbacks -» Charlie flashbacks don´t follow the normal plot (presentation, set up the complication, development of the complication, climax and ending.). The writers had come with a better idea, present the 5 best moments in his life, and in a long time, this flashbacks are welcome. Great Scenes There, every one of the last 3 scenes have a meaning in different context.

Charlie Event on The Island -» The beginning was ironic when Naomi made that comment, then the complication is set when Charlie has to die, or there will not be any rescue, poor guy. Others scenes is meant to be very sad, the last one with Desmond is very touching. The last scene is unexpected.

Jack and Co Vs The Others -» With the setup already in play, was time for us to hear Jack plan. His plan was beautiful(this was the presentation), however, things got more complicated when he learn that they will come in this night (setup of the complication Phase). Now the plan is reformulated and things will be more dangerous, which is exactly the objective for the season finale.

Overall:

1 - Plot Holes: Silver. Ben Is so Stupid or the Writers want he to be, Saying his plan in front of her to her, is very logical that she would prevent that to happen. Not only that, was totally out of character when Ben wanted to kill any Man that would appear in their way, this was weird, since they don´t kill, unless is necessary. But since is about sacrificing logic for emotions, I will accept that.

2 - Time and Scenes Management: Gold *. If you are a sensible person, you may cry.

3 - Surprises/Twist/Shocks/Cliffhangers: Gold. The ending of this episode is unexpected.

4 - Action: None. Wasn´t necessary.

5 - Funny: Wasn´t necessary but I didn´t notice.

6 - Drama: Gold*Very touching and you can cry if you are more sensible.

7 - Tension/Fear: Very little.

8 - Excitement Level (curiosity/Mystery/Doubt/Revelations: Bronze/low. Not that type of excitement, since one of the character have a death sentence and for sure, will die. This is a setup.

This episode continue to make setups for the season finale, Charlie death sentence, Sayid, Jin and Bernard will have to risk their Life´s. Jack have to lead his people to the Radio Tower and the Other are coming. However, what makes this episodes special, is all Charlie touching Scenes.
  • The first episode in a long time that recalled Season 1.

The last few episodes of Lost have arguably been the best we have ever had in a row. It has been a long time since Charlie was given the spotlight and the last time was one of the worst episodes of the series. It is fortunate for everyone that the penultimate episode of Season 3 be an improvement on that particular installment. But "Greatest Hist" is more than just an improvement, it is a series classic, an episode which brings back fond memories of Season One. All the characters we have known and loved over the course of the series to this point get a moment to shine and all, bar the Others and Locke, are together in one location - their beach camp, which was the primary focus of the first season. Add the return of Danielle Rousseau to the A-mission, not to mention a warning that the Others are coming plus a second attempt at leaving the island and it feels like the Season One finale, "Exodus" all over again and this is not a bad thing. In fact it is quite possibly just as emotional as the Exodus Part 1 installment, with Charlie's life hung in the balance. The scenes with Charlie, Claire and Aaron are particularly tearjerking and Lost begins to feel epic again.
    Charlie's flashbacks are very good also, the third episode in a row that hasn't used the usual flashback format. We see moments in his life he remembers most fondly and these all add to the emotion of the episode. Even if you hate Charlie you can't help but feel sympathy for him as he heads towards uncertain death or cheer for him as he swims down to the Looking Glass Station and surfaces inside. Talking of the Looking Glass, it was great to finally get confirmed that an underwater DHARMA station existed, something that fans had speculated since Season One. It was also great that we found out where that Cable seen first in the 8th episode of the first season led. It is funny to think that if Sayid somehow followed the cable into the water instead of the jungle, rescue may have been possible sooner. We also get clarification that the island's submarine used the Looking Glass as a dock and also why Danielle Rousseau was collecting dynamite from the Black Rock, which also cleared up what Jack has been doing with Juliet for so long.
    Once again the emphasis is on Leaders. We see the parallels between Jack and Ben, both are struggling to reaffirm their control over their groups. They both seem to be using aggression and force to get things in motion. While it is not surprise that Ben should use this tactic it is with Jack. We haven't seen him this animated before nor this determined to begin a war, soemthing that has been brewing since Season 2 when he approached Ana-Lucia. He snaps at Sayid and anyone else who tries to stop him from initiating the war, and to instead focus on rescue. This episode was full of information, tying up more loose ends and giving enough reasons for the remaining fans to stick around.
    This episode was another brilliant installment for Season 3 which had seen its ups and downs but since "Enter 77" had begun to pick up steam and from "The Brig" onwards had recaptured the magic of the show's early days. If you thought that the last three episodes were good just wait till you see the finale! The War has Begun!!!!
  • A Charlie-centric episode.

All things considered, I thought that this was an absolutely amazing episode. This is definitely my favorite of all the Charlie-centric episodes that Lost has ever had. In my opinion, this is also the best Charlie-centric episode they've ever had in the history of the show. All of the flashbacks of Charlie's life in this episode were great. Although, I'm feeling pretty sad about the fact that the writers killed Charlie off since he has always been one of my top favorite characters since the beginning of the show. It was great getting to see Rose and Bernard again since I'm very intrigued by them. In closing, I thought that this was a very well written, well acted and well made episode of Lost from everyone involved, and I can't wait to watch the two part season three finale on my DVD set so I can find out how the season ends.
  • If an episode makes you tear up, and not because of how horrible it was, you know it deserves a 10.

What an episode. I would've never thoguht that I'd end up giving a Charlie episode that is actually a SETUP episode a 10. But I did.

This episode is the saddest episode of the show so far. Charlie's told his newest "death scene" by Desmond. Only thing is, this time... he has to die. If he does, Claire and the baby's rescued by a helicopter.

Which leads Charlie to prepare his Greatest Hits.His greatest 5 moments of his life. And we get to see these through the flashback.

What a tearjerker. I think during moment 4 it was the first time I got teary eyed. And it was all a downhill from there. I was almost literally crying at the end of the episode.

What was so great about these moments is that they were all realistic. It wasn't like... my greatest moment of life is when I invented the nuclear bomb. The other greatest moment is when I saved the USA. No. Charlie's moments are all easy to relate to.

Besides this, the episode was a huge set up to the war of the others. Amazing stuff, but it was Charlie's storyline that made the episode.

The saddest sequence of scenes of the show ever, and, possibly, of TV ever, for me, has to be the scene where Desmond and Charlie arrive to the hatch where Charlie has to swim down to and push a button that disables the radio jammer so that Naomi can contact his people. Desmond offering his will to swim down instead of charlie was an indication of true friendship. But no. Charlie knows what he has to do, and knocks out Desmond. His swim to the bottom was incredible. His shoes came off, which is great symbolism which takes me back to the pilot. And, what a tearjerker once again.

But guess what. The station isn't flooded. Charlie lives? No.... 2 armed others rush out and hold him at gun point. Oh snap.

Surely, I was ready for him to die. So the ending was a bit "disappointing".... not. It was a great ending, and I think the majority was aware that this means nothing. THe station can still be flooded, and Charlie will still have to die. But the fact that we accepted his death will ensure that his exit will be HEROIC. Overall, I'm blown away by the amazingness of this episode. A true character driven masterpiece.
  • Maybe you're gonna be the one that saves me...

Ah, the task of reviewing the almost-death of Charlie!
    The episode opens with someone (Karl) running through the woods and taking off in a boat. Sidebar: Much love for Blake Bashoff (Moritz in Spring Awakening). Anyway, the episode's flashbacks are rather disjointed at first but then their purpose comes clear: Charlie knows he is going to sacrifice himself for his friends and is writing a list of his Greatest Hits. This concept was pretty cool, actually. It must be tough for Charlie to have a best friend with a physical likeness to Jesus and a role in life like the Grim Reaper. I hate to say it, but I love it when Jack gets all corny in his speeches about pulling together and blowing them all to hell. It makes me so sad to know that Charlie would die in the finale, though...This was an overall outstanding episode that wasn't too corny for a reflection on a character's life. Also, it featured one of my favorite songs: "Wonderwall" by Oasis. You just can't go wrong with this episode. Poor Claire. Poor Aaron. Poor Charlie.
  • We have Desmond being sightful once more, but this time Charlie plans to tackle it head on, whilst the others are planning on making the first confrontation with the others, Locke is the topic of some hushed whispers amongst the others camp.

A young lad runs down the beach and onto a small boat and paddles strongly out to the sea. Jack and Juliet lead some of the key members of the beach party to a spot in the jungle. Desmond stops and so does Charlie, as he thinks that he as had a flash of the future, but he says he hasn't. Jack stops and calls out for Danielle, who appears and demonstrates the power of the dynamite on a tree. Jack explains that Danielle has been helping them by transporting the dynamite back from the Black rock.

We flashback to Charlie unhappily changing a tire in the rain, telling Liam that he's going to be quitting, when some of the band members tune in the radio and they hear their song on the radio for the first time. Back on the beach, he writes the memory down on his greatest hits list on a piece of paper. Naomi asks who they are about to go to war with, Charlie says its a long story and he wouldn't disrespect a fellow Manc, she tells him there was a great fuss over him and a memorial and a new album.

Charlie sees Des looking at him, looking sad. Rousseau says they need more wire and Jack says they can strip the wiring off of the plane. Sayid says they need to talk about the radio, that they need to remove the Danielles signal before they can transmit one, Juliet says that won't work as their underwater station is blocking all signals, it's called the looking glass but she does not know where it is. Sayid says he knows where it is.

Karl comes running up the beach from his boat, he is tackled by Sayid but vouched for by Sawyer, explaining who he is. We get a flashback to Ben returning, minus Locke, hushed whispers and then he asks Tom how long til he and his men could get to the beach, he says by nightfall, he says go and if the men are brave enough to interfere to kill them. Alex runs through the jungle and explains to Karl that he must go and warn the people on the beach.

Karl explains all this, Juliet being a spy etc, but he warns them that they will attack tonight. There is some slight panic as they weren't expecting them til tomorrow. They have a plan, they are going to take everyone upto the radio tower, except 3 who will be shooting the dynamite, Sayid, Jin and Bernhard. With Des and Charlie to sort out the underwater station.

They all pack up to go, leaving Charlie to finish off the last of his memories to complete his top 5 memories, then they sail out after getting to the cable. The boat stops as they come to the end, then Charlie hands Des the list, who ponders then gives it back, saying that he'll have better luck. Charlie takes a paddle and knocks him out, tucks the list into Des's pocket and then using the weight belt sinks down and then surfaces into a hatch with an air bubble, he shouts a joyful shout, climbs up and then hears an echo and then see two armed women with guns trained on him.
  • sad

Jack learns of the Others' plan to ambush the survivors and kidnap their pregnant women, and he comes up with a plan to kill the Others with dynamite. In order for Sayid to be able to send out a distress signal from Naomi's satellite phone, Charlie swims down to an underwater Dharma station that is jamming all transmissions. Charlie writes down the five greatest moments of his life. This episode was a real emotional episode and one of my favourite characters ever was certianly going to his death, Charlie was the reason I got into Lost becuase I'm a big fan of the Lord of the rings and I saw him on the advert so I decided to give it ago and now look where I'm. Very, very sad episode of Lost.
  • Charlie !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Charlie has flashbacks of the five best moments in his life which were : 5) The first time he heard his song on the radio, 4) The first time he jumped into a pool, 3) When a woman called him a hero, 2) When his brother gave him the family ring, 1) The moment he met Claire. It was so sad !!! Oh my god me and my friends were watching this episode on DVD and every one of us was crying. Also everyone on the camp get ready to go to war with the others. Jack will take everyone to the Radio tower even though Sayid was supposed to do that. Desmond has a flash farward. Desomond says that he saw Claire getting on a plane and being rescued but he also says that if Charlie dosen't die this time then that won't happen so Charlie is determined to face death. So to face death Charlie takes on the mission of getting to an underwater station so he can flip the switch which stops the others from blocking the transmissions and radio signals. When Charlie gets there two women with guns run out of a room and point a gun at him. Charlie giving Araon his family ring and the way he said goodbye to Hurley really saddened me. I know he's going to die but I just don't want it to happen. Favorite character from this episode : Charlie !!
  • Charlie's greatest hits!

Charlie has flashbacks to five of the greatest moments in his life. They are: 5) when he heard his song on the radio, 4) when his dad taught him to swim, 3) when Liam gave him the family ring, 2) when a woman called him a hero, and 1) meeting Claire.

Karl comes to warn everyone that the Others are coming sooner than they expected. Danielle is helping them to stop them by blowing them up with dynamite. Sayid learns of the Looking Glass station underwater, where they'll be able to communicate with the outside world. Desmond has another vision of Charlie's death. Charlie volunteers to swim there and pull the switch and potentially drown. Jack leads everyone else to the radio tower where they might communicate with Naomi's phone. Charlie arrives there, but there are two people standing guard that catch him.

This episode was great! I really enjoyed the flashbacks! I loved the ending! It was a sad episode...I give it a 10 out of 10!
  • Charlie remembers the greatest moments in his life.

This was the first and only time I ever cried while watching Lost. Actually, I sobbed. I don't think I ever had that much tears watching a television show. It is absolutely my favorite episode of Lost and it really reminded me why I watch this show. Charlie was portrayed beautifully, and his list was such a great idea to add onto the show. I really hope that Claire can get the letter and the ring soon and remember Charlie and his heroic action. Charlie Pace is a true hero, and Lost will never be the same without him. He will not be forgotten.
  • I cried but I didn't sob. I would sob if it was Sawyer

Jin... You were right. It's a girl. The delivery was hard on me... The doctor said I was calling out for you... I wish you could've been there. Jin... She's beautiful. Ji Yeon. I named her just like you wanted. I miss you so much. I miss you so muchJin... You were right. It's a girl. The delivery was hard on me... The doctor said I was calling out for you... I wish you could've been there. Jin... She's beautiful. Ji Yeon. I named her just like you wanted. I miss you so much. I miss you so muchJin... You were right. It's a girl. The delivery was hard on me... The doctor said I was calling out for you... I wish you could've been there. Jin... She's beautiful. Ji Yeon. I named her just like you wanted. I miss you so much. I miss you so muchJin... You were right. It's a girl. The delivery was hard on me... The doctor said I was calling out for you... I wish you could've been there. Jin... She's beautiful. Ji Yeon. I named her just like you wanted. I miss you so much. I miss you so muchJin... You were right. It's a girl. The delivery was hard on me... The doctor said I was calling out for you... I wish you could've been there. Jin... She's beautiful. Ji Yeon. I named her just like you wanted. I miss you so much. I miss you so muchJin... You were right. It's a girl. The delivery was hard on me... The doctor said I was calling out for you... I wish you could've been there. Jin... She's beautiful. Ji Yeon. I named her just like you wanted. I miss you so much. I miss you so muchJin... You were right. It's a girl. The delivery was hard on me... The doctor said I was calling out for you... I wish you could've been there. Jin... She's beautiful. Ji Yeon. I named her just like you wanted. I miss you so much. I miss you so muchJin... You were right. It's a girl. The delivery was hard on me... The doctor said I was calling out for you... I wish you could've been there. Jin... She's beautiful. Ji Yeon. I named her just like you wanted. I miss you so much. I miss you so muchJin... You were right. It's a girl. The delivery was hard on me... The doctor said I was calling out for you... I wish you could've been there. Jin... She's beautiful. Ji Yeon. I named her just like you wanted. I miss you so much. I miss you so muchJin... You were right. It's a girl. The delivery was hard on me... The doctor said I was calling out for you... I wish you could've been there. Jin... She's beautiful. Ji Yeon. I named her just like you wanted. I miss you so much. I miss you so muchJin... You were right. It's a girl. The delivery was hard on me... The doctor said I was calling out for you... I wish you could've been there. Jin... She's beautiful. Ji Yeon. I named her just like you wanted. I miss you so much. I miss you so muchJin... You were right. It's a girl. The delivery was hard on me... The doctor said I was calling out for you... I wish you could've been there. Jin... She's beautiful. Ji Yeon. I named her just like you wanted. I miss you so much. I miss you so muchJin... You were right. It's a girl. The delivery was hard on me... The doctor said I was calling out for you... I wish you could've been there. Jin... She's beautiful. Ji Yeon. I named her just like you wanted. I miss you so much. I miss you so muchJin... You were right. It's a girl. The delivery was hard on me... The doctor said I was calling out for you... I wish you could've been there. Jin... She's beautiful. Ji Yeon. I named her just like you wanted. I miss you so much. I miss you so muchJin... You were right. It's a girl. The delivery was hard on me... The doctor said I was calling out for you... I wish you could've been there. Jin... She's beautiful. Ji Yeon. I named her just like you wanted. I miss you so much. I miss you so muchJin... You were right. It's a girl. The delivery was hard on me... The doctor said I was calling out for you... I wish you could've been there. Jin... She's beautiful. Ji Yeon. I named her just like you wanted. I miss you so much. I miss you so muchJin... You were right. It's a girl. The delivery was hard on me... The doctor said I was calling out for you... I wish you could've been there. Jin... She's beautiful. Ji Yeon. I named her just like you wanted. I miss you so much. I miss you so muchJin... You were right. It's a girl. The delivery was hard on me... The doctor said I was calling out for you... I wish you could've been there. Jin... She's beautiful. Ji Yeon. I named her just like you wanted. I miss you so much. I miss you so muchJin... You were right. It's a girl. The delivery was hard on me... The doctor said I was calling out for you... I wish you could've been there. Jin... She's beautiful. Ji Yeon. I named her just like you wanted. I miss you so much. I miss you so much
  • Desmond once again foretells the death of Charlie, leaving the latter with a difficult decision to make. Potentially, his death could be the event that rescues the survivor's. In this emotional rollercoaster, Charlie must choose himself, or the survivors.

This episode is, in unquestionable terms, a truly brilliant moment in the third series of Lost. In the midst of betrayal, fighting, hostage situations and espionage, one man makes a choice for the benefit of the rest.
    When Desmond foretold Charlie's death, and claimed that, this time, it had to happen, I felt an plunge in my stomach. Charlie, being one of my favourite characters, would be too painful to bid farewell.
    Yet, the quality of this episode almost makes up for it, and considering my fondness of Charlie's character, that is definitely saying something.
    With some astounding acting on the behalf of Dominic Monaghan, Charlie's journey in the entire show pales when compared to this one episode, the episode that depicts the rock star accepting and facing his destiny, his fate. From a character whose main trouble throughout the show is accepting responsibility, his attitude in this episode is inspiring; he takes upon himself the greatest responsibility of all. He swims to the underwater hatch, too turn off jamming equipment, in the hope that the survivors can then contact the outside world. Henry Ian Cusick is also fantastic as the precognitive Desmond, and his journey in this episode is also paramount to his character. He once again tries to save Charlie, only to be foiled by the rock star, who refuses to allow Desmond to save him.
    While preparing, throughout the episode, Charlie is compiling a list of the best moments in his life: his Greatest Hits. With each hit, we see a flashback of that particular moment, including the first time he heard his band on the radio, the day in Butlins when his father taught him to swim, the Chistmas hs brother Liam gave him his iconic DS ring, and the day a woman (Nadia, the woman Sayid Loves) calls him a hero after he rescues her from a mugger. Finally, at number one, is the day he met Claire; the letter is, in fact, meant for her, as is the DS ring for Aaron, which he leaves in his crib; a family heirloom, the fact Charlie leaves it to Aaron is proof of how close he has become to the baby and his mother.
    When Charlie finally does swim underwater, however, he doesn;t, in a mysterious twist, drown as predicted. He himself is relieved; that is, until two women armed to the teeth come out of nowhere.
    Would he survive? That, for me, was the most nerve racking question of all; one that would be answered in the Season Finale, Through the Looking Glass.
  • Poor Charlie!

Watching this episode at 12 at night didn't help my emotional state, but either way, this episode was horribly saddening. I couldn't focus truly on the whole Jack and Sayid arguing stuff in this episode, just Charlie. His flashbacks and his greatest hits, and the him and Claire moment was truly sensational. I hope he doesn't die, but it's as if it HAS to come true, which it might now. Maybe someone will save him like all the other times. And who exactly were those people at the station? Did Juliet lie again? -sigh- Well it's not entirely her fault, I guess. So this episode truly was an emotional, not bad, but emotional episode.
  • Very sad episode.

• "memories are all I've got." A really sad but amazing episode that leads up to Charlies fate and a climactic season finale

This episode is one of my favorite episodes of LOST ever. It has a unique style of flashbacks where Charlie is remembering his "Greatest Hits" hence the name of the episode. As Charlie looks back on his life it is very sad and emotional because according to Desmond, Charlie has to die in order to get everyone off of the island. Its a wonderful episode with great character development and it sets up the season finale which is even better. The last 5 minutes of this episode is great too because its very emotional. Charlie is getting ready to swim down to the Looking Glass station and he has tears in his eyes. "Memories are all I've got." Greatest Hits also has one of the best endings to a lost episode in my opinion, Charlie swims into the moon pool and shouts "IM ALIVE!" and two girls come out with guns drawn and then smash to black LOST!
  • Special episode setting actions for season finale.

Charlie episode and it has been long since he was in the focus and had flashbacks. i adore that those flashbacks were different - not so much connected to the story going on the island rather than the character. It does not look good for Charlie as he has been in position of possible death almost half season and now, it looks more and more he is not going back. The only problem is, that i thought, if they are going to kill him, he will get more farewells. Anyway, the cable in the beach story got it's answers and we finally will see the radio tower too. Beautiful episode, very emotional. The Charlie theme ofcourse added it, but not only he... Desmond who started to think that maybe he should die instead and Sayid who was so easily read to sacrifice himself to blow the camp. Super episode.
  • An emotion stage setting for the finale.

"Flashes Before Your Eyes" set off the major character arcs for both Desmond and Charlie this season. Desmond saving Charlie only to get a new vision of Charlie's horrible death repeatedly has taken a toll on his psyche. Likewise, knowing his demise is imminent has affected Charlie's behavior. As the season draws to an end, they would have to address it definitively, which plays in well with the overall storyline. So it makes sense to go back to Charlie, who hasn't had a flashback since the middle of last season, who reflects on his life while his destiny is closing in.

Charlie has been a polarizing character. Some have accused his storyline of treading water since he kicked his drug addiction. The exploration of his dark side in "Fire + Water", perhaps the most hated episode of the second season, became subject to a lot of negative criticism. Despite that, I've enjoyed Charlie's character and I liked "Fire + Water". His interactions with Hurley and Jin have been extremely entertaining in one of the most overlooked character relationships on the show (guess if they were lovers or mortal enemies critics would cite them more). Plus his relationship with Claire has been rewarding as well even if it doesn't get the publicity the Kate-Sawyer-Jack triangle does.

Considering the news Desmond's given him of his death, it makes sense for him to be thinking about his life (likely this has been his mindset all season). Charlie's flashbacks function more like a normal person would. Instead of one story playing parallel to the current action, the flashbacks are five moments not connected by narrative. While it doesn't add to the episode's story on the surface, the device adds to the emotional punch of the episode.

Also, the events tie in to Charlie's character. Since he was a child, his working class family depended on him to help them with his musical talent. Unfortunately, the rock and roll lifestyle got a hold of him and he found himself falling apart because of addiction. He has tried and desired to prove himself. So it is fitting that the moments Charlie considers his best reflect his need for validation, his music and family.

Charlie's mission with Desmond to The Looking Glass reinforces these memories. Being heard on the radio is the validation he needs, reinforced when Naomi tells of Drive Shaft's success since the crash. His leap of faith, believing his death will lead to the rescue of the other castaways, reminds him of the time he trusted his father to catch him in the pool (where someone could be heard saying Desmond). His brother giving him the ring symbolizes the responsibility bestowed upon him. Being the hero is recalled by helping Nadia. Finally, seeing Claire is the reminder of why he's doing it.

In another character connection, Charlie saves Sayid's love Nadia from a mugger (who looked like Liam). Without repeating previous reviews that detail the interconnected nature of the back stories and what that means, it adds to Nadia's story. It's practically a cliché for people from troubled nations in Europe and Asia to seek asylum in London. It's likely Nadia was in London before California, where Locke inspected her new home.

Desmond attempting to take Charlie's place is another way to read why Desmond has been having visions: he's meant to die instead. With fate imminent, it would make sense for Desmond to think there was another way to save someone he's become friends with, since Ms. Hawking never told him how specifically to read his flashes in "Flashes Before Your Eyes" besides course correction will negate any changes he makes. One clear hint that Charlie isn't out of the woods (besides being held at gunpoint) is that Desmond can't see what's happening. Assuming it's correct, Desmond can only have these visions if he's present when they happen.

With the threat of Charlie's death more vivid than ever, it makes the scenes where he bids farewell to his friends even more poignant. Hurley, who he has bonded to the most in a non-romantic way, is a touching farewell. Those two have had such great chemistry and this scene is a great example of them showing their serious side. Of course, his goodbyes to Claire would be different, as his actions are motivated by the possible future where Claire and Aaron are rescued. Claire accidentally leaving the DS ring behind adds to the already impressive punch.

This episode might've ended with Charlie jumping in the water, leaving us to assume his success when they contact Naomi's ship. However, they decide to go another route which is far more interesting. It turns out Ben lied (surprise, surprise) about The Looking Glass being flooded. In fact, two women inhabit it. Who these women are and why Ben lied about the station are two huge questions. Some theorized that they may be Dharma who managed to survive the purge because of their isolation. Whatever it is, it ties directly to Ben's need to control his people.

While Ben shot Locke to protect his place within The Others, that action ironically further showed his status is doomed for failure. His decision to move ahead with the attack, while it may be smart considering what we know about the main beach, is rash and symbolic of his losing control considering how he demanded it.

Naïveté is also a major flaw with Ben's leadership. He knows clearly how his daughter feels about the castaways and she has enough motivation to go against his rule. This dynamic is similar to him and Juliet, but unfortunately for him he is backed in a corner as far as who he can use to infiltrate the castaways. Both relationships give the castaways a big advantage. In a way, Ben giving the gun back to Alex shows a transfer of power, which is used to help the castaways.

On the other end, Jack reasserts his leadership in the main cast, which has been questioned since he returned, by revealing his plan. With some help by Rousseau, paying off her cameo in "The Brig", they plan to rig tents with dynamite, killing The Others looking for the pregnant women. The plans of the leaders from both ends complicate things further. The castaways know they're coming because of Juliet's information. Because The Others plan to head in early, the castaways won't have time to wire the dynamite properly. Such complexity among actions adds to the suspense, which has gone beyond critical mass.

Since they can't properly wire the explosives on this new timetable, Sayid suggests a contingency where a few stay behind and shoot at them, hopefully creating the same effect. Sayid is an obvious choice to stay behind as one of the gunmen. So is Jin, whose military background has been mentioned in prior episodes. Desmond could've been a good substitute, but his thoughts were on Charlie's fate. The wild card is of course Bernard. Where did a dentist from New York learn to shoot like that?

This season, some fans have complained (among other things) about the notable absence of Rose & Bernard, who finally return in this episode. While the producers have a story to tell, unfortunately the real world element isn't easily controllable. Considering the show's distance from every other major TV production, it's understandable that actors not under contract as leads would want to get work elsewhere if they aren't needed on Hawaii and that may make them unavailable for an unknown period.

This episode revisits and answers two long standing loose ends from the first season: the radio tower and the cable on the beach. Some have criticized the castaways for not going to the tower sooner (since any adventure with the cable has involved falling in one of Rousseau's traps), but unfortunately, they've only had fleeting access to communication devices and if they had, there would be no guarantee that anyone would be listening. With Naomi's satellite phone and her ship miles off shore, they now have both.

The cable connects the long rumored underwater station to the island. Some wondered why they wouldn't just cut the cable, assuming that it is the source of the blocking signal's power. That comment would've been an easy out for the writers and the stupidest architectural design flaw since the two meter wide thermal exhaust port in "Star Wars". The cable could also serve as a last ditch effort to keep the station connected to the island in case of a major storm.

This is the best penultimate episode of "Lost" to date. The stakes are as high as ever, with the showdown between The Others and the castaways drawing near. The flashback story had a lot of heart and was as emotional as ever considering the thought that Charlie would have to die to get everyone off the island. This episode prepares us, but even in doing that makes it so much harder.
  • This is one episode that I'll never forget..

"Charlie prepares for his death"

In one of the best episodes for LOST, Charlie goes for his death this time predicted by Desmond, this time he will die though. It was very sad and emotional, Charlie's story was my main focus for this episode, not the others, I will really miss him.
    Alex sent Karl over to warn the survivors of flight 815 about the others coming at the very moment so BOOM they get ready for the great battle. I'm not counting on them to win though, the others seem to always find a way to beat them as we saw on the first two seasons. Charlie's flashback were revealing and good to see.. Probably the last one too, It's just really sad. I loved the scene of Charlie's first swim, Classic!
    But it was full on action as the survivors prepare for war against the others, it was great. The part where Charlie dropped into the sea was just sad, he made it out though, but two unknown women race out pointing guns at him...What will happen in the breathtaking finale???!!!!! Man I can't b***dy wait! This one was fantastic, a preparation or the most explosive finale ever for LOST.

Emotional and exciting...
  • Charlie makes a list of his best moments and Charlie decides to face his death. Jack makes a plan to fight back when the Others arrive, but unexpected developments jeopardize everything. Sayid discovers a way to contact Naomi's ship.

What I like about this episode is that it made me sad because finally Charlie is going to die well not in this episode but the season finally and also I feel sad because he is going to sacrifice his life just so that Clair and Arron get of from the island. He is just an inspiration. Sayid discovers a way to contact Naomi's ship but it needs a sacrifice to be made which is Charlie and also Jack makes a plan to fight back when the Others arrive but unexpectedly the others know about the attack which was very unexpected.
  • Well it was very emotional episode

This episode was something new when we talk about LOST. Emotional like no one before. Charlie was one of my favorite characters, and i will miss him a lot. Anyway this episode was a great episode for him to die but the producers decided to put that in the finale so...
    The way Charlie remembered about his Greatest Hits was so emotional, but the best scene was when he said goodbye to Aaron and left the ring. Also when he said bye to Hurley, and Claire. I was crying the whole time. There should be more episodes like this one, the show need more emotions, not only mystery and suspense and unanswered questions. One of the best episodes on LOST.
  • ...Ok as build up to the finale.

-What I liked about this episode were the flashbacks: Usually, I feel like the flashbacks interrupt the more interesting story on the island, but this time they were cleverly woven into the main plot. Plus, they weren't too long.
    -I think the writers want us to know that Ben's using Jacob to get his way. If he wants something to happen, he just says "Jacob wants it to happen", regardless of Jacobs true will
    -I think he will loose his leadership soon (maybe to Locke?) because he doesn't represent the islands will anymore but rather his own will -The episode, especially the flashbacks were very emotional. And surprisingly: I liked it, it wasn't cheesy at all. I especially liked the two scenes with Charly and Liam
    -The first scene with Jack and the Losties was more than illogical. Why would Jack prepare a fancy demonstration (and waste TNT & cable btw), he could 've just told the Losties about his plan. But hey, it's a TV Show, let's blow up a tree just for the fun of it ;)
    -And where did Sayid get the "Looking Glass"-map all of the sudden?
    -Another thing that bugs me: How do you jam a sat-phone signal with a radio frequency? Alright, alright. Enough of the nitpicking ;)

-About Charly: What?! We are told he'll die during the whole episode and then he doesn't? C'mon, it's LOST ;)
    -So Charly saved Nadja, another connection.... meh ... 7.5/10
  • I was crying through the whole episode.

This was a very emotional episode of LOST. I liked how the flashbacks were Charlie's Greatest Hits. I cried through pretty much the entire episode. I was crying so hard when Charlie kissed Claire goodbye and told Aaron he loved him. And then when I saw his ring I cried even harder. I was really sad that Claire didn't see it. When Nadia told Charlie he was a hero I cried some more. Then when Charlie hugged Hurley goodbye I kept on crying. And when Charlie said his greatest moment was meeting Claire I started bawling. I got really happy when Desmond offered to take his place. I was like, "YEAH!". And then Charlie hit him with an oar and I was like, "NO!!" and started crying again. Wow. Really emotional episode.
  • But in a good way. Sets up the Season Finale

Greatest Hits is not the best episode of Lost, but it is defiantly the saddest with the druggie hobbit heading to his death in hopes that Claire and ‘Turnip Head’ get rescued. Also marked the return of Rose, Bernard and Karl. The latter bringing dark news to the Losties as Ben finally loses it. (Maybe because Alex was skinning Fluffy?) The perfect set-up scene for the season finale, where the Losties and the others will finally have a battle. In short, Greatest Hits sure isn’t the greatest episode, but it sure is the greatest set-up.
  • Best in The Series ... Tissues!!

Charlie Makes A List Of The Best Moments Of His Life. Once Again, Desmond Has Foreseen His Death, But This Time Charlie Decides To Face It Head On. Jack Devises A Plan To Fight Back When The Others Arrive, But Unexpected Developments Jeopardize Everything. Sayid Discovers A Way To Contact Naomi's Ship, But It Requires A Sacrifice. Everyone Is On Edge, As The First Major Confrontation With The Others Approaches.

The Flashbacks Are Soooo Good And Nothing Like What Has Happened Before Totally Fitting To Charlie He Was An Amazing Lostie And Everyone Loves Him ... The Best One Is Claire On The Beach I Hope She Finds Out
  • The Others are coming!! **possible spoilers**

**possible spoilers**

I'm starting to feel as though I'm getting repetetive now when it comes to reviewing Lost episode because I just love them every week!!

This one was no exception. Jack is preparing everyone for the others trip to the camp to take the women by setting up dynamite in the tents - NICE!!

Desmond has told Charlie that this time he has to die for everyone to be rescued so Charlie prepares himself in a tearjerking lead up to his ultimate sacrifice - or is it??

And Locke is introduced to Jacob - VERY STRANGE MOMENT!!!

I absolutely loved this episode and can't wait for the next - OH YEAH!!!
  • Loved this episode, an emotional journey!!

I couldn't wait for this Charlie filled episode, with him being my favourite charcter on Lost, i was not dissapointed with this emotional episode.
    Charlie's 5 greatest hits made me laugh and cry, along with all the sadness of charlie nearly dying, being captured and also saying Claire to be his greatest hit, there was the scenes with ben and the others.
    Ben's leadership is being questioned and will he be around next season as Richard seems very important in the Others lives? And i do hope that one day danielle will be reuinted with her daughter, but I do question Roussou, is she really trust worthy may she be one of the others, I do hope all these questions are answered.
    And i want to see more time travel from Desmond.
    And just want to say what amazing acting from the cast this week, especially Dominic, my fav!!
    Hopefully the season finale, which I havent seen yet, will be amazing, and looking forward to the wonderful 4th season.
< 1 2 3 4