Greatest Hits

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM May 16, 2007 on ABC

• Here is a thought....

Instead of Charlie diving down to the underwater station to turn off the switch, why did they not simply cut the power cable they obviously thought was supplying the power to the station??? There was some issue about why it was still running if it was supposed to be flooded but at least trying to cut the cable before anything else makes sence to me. This is a really really silly series that started out alright but as soon as the money started rolling in to the producers they decided to milk it with silly outcomes. The ONLY reason I watch it is because I'm actually looking forward to see how they decide to write themselves out of this noncence. I just heard there will be three more seasons which did it for me. I'm not going to watch three more seasons of no answers to anything and the bad guys always get away with everything (the others). I'll simply wait for the absolute final but this is just me. The rest of you keep watching and enjoy..
  • Could've been trimmed down by 30 odd minutes.

Call me crazy but I was kind of taken "out" of the Lost universe for a while and slightly miffed at the writers that one of my least favorite characters, Charlie, was unexpectedly being fitted for a friggin' halo all episode. I came to accept it, but i tend to frown upon sudden altruism, even if it is for your beloved. Plus they laid it all on so thick it came off as kitsch and melodramatic instead of poignant. But i'm in the minority here, "so let them eat cake", as the saying goes. :-) In the end it wasn't quite as bad as i thought: I was half expecting a gentle rain to fall like solemn tears right before a dole of doves eases Charlie to be at the most sobering peace as the saintly birds nestle smooching on the bow of the outrigger whilst God himself takes to skywriting "Charlie loves Claire" using milky white clouds and peeking sunbeams...

Lost has been filled with touching moments for me, Desmond in the hatch looking up at the unseen Locke pounding on the external hatch door, Locke pounding on the hatch looking down at the unseen Desmond amidst the light :), even Ben pulling off his mask and looking solemnly at Richard for a moment before reverting back to form. Those moments are special, because the are just that, momentous. This 40 some odd minute homage to the "My Girl"-esque paint-by numbers tearjerker, on the other hand, couldn't have ended sooner.

The last minute or so inside the unfriendly confines of the submerged "Looking Glass" station was decent, the rest of the island action was typical of the proverbial "calm before the storm". In other words: nothing to write home about. The best part of the episode very well could be seeing that Ben has dropped the Svengali routine and is now an unrepentant sociopath complete with Napoleonic complex! R.I.P. Calculated, Machiavellian Ben
  • The promise of actual action and confrontation spoiled by the Season finale promo.

Really now, what Lost viewer really thought Jack's big plan to blow up the Others was really going to work before seeing the nexr episode's promo.Since it has been reported that Lost will continue til 2010,much of the anticipation of the upcoming confrontation between the Flight 815 castaways and the Others is lost. Since it hasn't been reported that Terry o'quinn had been arrested for drunk driving like Michelle Rodriguez was, I'm sure John Locke will survive his gunshot wound. I can only hope that some event occurs to wipe the smirks off of both Ben and Juliet.
  • ...Ok as build up to the finale.

-What I liked about this episode were the flashbacks: Usually, I feel like the flashbacks interrupt the more interesting story on the island, but this time they were cleverly woven into the main plot. Plus, they weren't too long.
    -I think the writers want us to know that Ben's using Jacob to get his way. If he wants something to happen, he just says "Jacob wants it to happen", regardless of Jacobs true will
    -I think he will loose his leadership soon (maybe to Locke?) because he doesn't represent the islands will anymore but rather his own will -The episode, especially the flashbacks were very emotional. And surprisingly: I liked it, it wasn't cheesy at all. I especially liked the two scenes with Charly and Liam
    -The first scene with Jack and the Losties was more than illogical. Why would Jack prepare a fancy demonstration (and waste TNT & cable btw), he could 've just told the Losties about his plan. But hey, it's a TV Show, let's blow up a tree just for the fun of it ;)
    -And where did Sayid get the "Looking Glass"-map all of the sudden?
    -Another thing that bugs me: How do you jam a sat-phone signal with a radio frequency? Alright, alright. Enough of the nitpicking ;)

-About Charly: What?! We are told he'll die during the whole episode and then he doesn't? C'mon, it's LOST ;)
    -So Charly saved Nadja, another connection.... meh ... 7.5/10
  • Jack, Sawyer and others receive word from Karl that the others are actually planning an attack a night earlier than they expected.

A decent build-up for the season finale even though this was largely a Charlie oriented episode. They didn't really need this much attention on Charlie since most fans know his story by now. Unless they are really going to kill off Charlie, then this episode could have trimmed down a bit.

Anyway, though, the confrontation is coming. Essentially this next to last episode attempts to wrap up a lot of loose ends from previous episodes (Juliet the spy is now with Jack), (Locke is shot down and possibly dead), after a lot of back and forth fights with the Survivors and Others this might actually be the final blow.

Throughout the last couple of episodes, the writers have given us more backstory into Locke, Charlie, Hurley and even the leader of the Others. While a lot of material they haven't presented isn't new, it still fills in a couple of puzzles. Like in the previous episode, we see how Ben grows up to be such a dictator. His dad hates him since Ben caused the death of his mother through childbirth. Here we see more of the backstory with Charlie.

It'll be interesting to see how they end the season finale.
  • Flashbacks from Charlie's life and his Greatest HIts.

Is Charlie going to die? Is he not? Will Desmond's prophecy be fullfilled? Well ,we certainly find out some things in this episode. Charlie sacrifies himself and enters the underwater hatch where some women are waiting for him with shotguns.Will he be able to push the switch? Back in the camp the castaways set an explosive trap for the Others and run to the radio tower to try to pick up Naiomi's ship signal after Charlie push the switch in the Looking Glass.Jin,Sayid and Bernand stay behind to trigger the traps. All this events lead us to a 2hour season finale next wednesday Can't wait!
  • Great episode, only let down once again by the appalling British accents in Charlie’s flashbacks.

In this episode we get a slightly different take on the flashback idea by getting a group of separate events rather than a coherent narrative. The reason for this is explained later on in Charlie’s writing a list of the best moments of his life. Convinced that he is finally going to die and fulfil the visions that Desmond sees of his death, he volunteers for an apparent suicide mission to switch off the signal jamming ability of the offshore “Looking Glass” station. The existence of this station finally ties up the cable on the beach found by Sayid in season one.

Couple that to a increased urgency in the planned ambush of the others and mini-flashback to Ben returning from his visit to Jacob and you get a very fast moving and enjoyable episode. I think we’re starting to see some real rumbles of dissent among the “Others” and Ben seems to be reaching the tipping point from leader to dictator, but for now he is still in command and sends his men off to capture the women and (probably) kill the men! Of course, being Lost, we don’t get to see the battle quite yet, but it bodes very well for next week’s episode.

My one main criticism of the episode, as always with Charlie-centric flashbacks, is that the British accents are appalling! Speaking as a English person, and a Northerner at that, I have to say that the makers completely destroyed the pathos and intensity of (nearly) every flashback scene of Charlie’s with terribly distracting incorrect accents. As an analogy, imagine watching the Sopranos and a character was introduced who was supposed to be from Brooklyn or New Jersey, and who spoke like someone from Texas or Louisiana. It ruins the ability of the show to create a believable fictional world, because you are constantly reminded that these people are actors (who need some better vocal coaching)! Special mention should be to Charlie’s dad (assumed) who seemed to veer between Manchester, London and Shrek for his accent inspiration! Anyway, rant over – a very well paced episode and a great setup for the finale.
  • Overall, this episode is a powerful prelude to the season finale, setting the stage for the culmination of plot threads that have been building for the past year.

Throughout the third season, the writers have presented a case for Charlie’s demise. Desmond has saved him at least four times, sometimes at apparent personal cost. That knowledge has pushed Charlie into consideration of his life and his choices, and while the self-centeredness remains, it’s not quite so prominent. Sooner or later, of course, Charlie was going to have to face up to fate, and that moment comes in this episode.

Coming into this episode, Charlie had resisted true redemption at least twice. He had the opportunity early in the series with Locke, who thought that the island would make his guidance a simple matter. That wasn’t quite true, and Charlie was tempted by his past. Eko was something of a mentor for Charlie, but that situation was borne out of dishonest intentions, and so nothing came of it. Now with Desmond, Charlie has a compelling reason to consider his choices and his self-worth.

The way of the island has been fairly consistent: those who embrace change live, those who resist change die. Charlie has been resisting change, and so his fate has apparently been sealed. Faced with the possibility of saving Claire and Aaron through the ultimate self-sacrifice, one could argue that Charlie finally makes a critical psychological change, placing the interests of others above his own. And in the way of the island, that presents the possibility of salvation.

That possibility doesn’t present itself until the very end, which is a nice touch. The writers take it far enough to ensure that Charlie is willing and ready to die for Claire and Aaron, so his psychological choice is made and committed. Selling that reality is an important element of the episode’s success. He earns redemption in a manner that feels satisfying to the audience, and it’s possible that his capture is the result of that possible reprieve. On the other hand, Desmond’s vision could still come true. Charlie is hardly out of the woods yet!

This is important, because without this important step in Charlie’s character arc, this transitional episode would have been a lot less satisfying. This was really a matter of staging the pieces on the board in the positions necessary for the season finale, and Charlie’s part was just one of several important movements. The writers did an excellent job of letting the character arc drive what could have been rather impersonal.

Beyond Charlie, there was the reestablishment of Jack as the warrior chieftain of the JackLocke tribe. With Sawyer and Sayid reaffirming their own roles over the past several episodes, this was an important consideration. One might quibble over Jack’s abrasive (and almost petulant) attitude, but faced with stiff opposition, he had to assert his control. It’s practically impossible for Jack to do otherwise, given his psychology. (And in fact, in light of the way of the island, Jack has been in the crosshairs for quite some time for that very reason.) It’s also excellent that Sayid, as the tribal sheriff, takes command of the military action.

That said, Jack’s plan is hard to argue against, and it’s great to see some of the lingering plot threads coming together. Danielle has been a resource waiting to be employed, and previous episodes this season have hinted at this larger role. This ties in nicely with her scene in “The Brig”, and given that her repeating radio signal from the pilot is getting in the way, the radio tower she mentioned back in the first season comes into play. Together with the underwater station, something that was all but revealed in “Enter Seven Seven”, the radio tower represents a payoff for minor plot points that have gathered for years.

In terms of the Others, there’s more of a parallel between Ben and Jack than has been shown in previous episodes. In retrospect, of course, it’s all right there on the screen. Just like Jack, Ben has been facing resistance by other sources of leadership in his camp. And like Jack, Ben asserts his control by proposing a plan of action, dismissing potential conflicts of personal interest in the process.

The difference, of course, is that Jack finds a way to bring his alliance with Juliet in line with the demands of the tribe’s survival. Juliet’s knowledge, while given for unknown reasons, is useful to the survival of the JackLocke tribe, especially with the potential for rescue. Ben, on the other hand, saw his own turncoat as a threat and took him out of the equation. It remains to be seen if that difference plays into the circumstances of the season finale.

The potential for rescue should not be seen as a red herring; after all, Penny Widmore has the resources and the willpower to see it through, if a signal can be sent. And wouldn’t that be a “game changer” on a level beyond simple speculation? Especially when one considers that the rescue could seem to be going off without a hitch and run into massive complications. It could come down to some of the characters getting off the island, trying to work out a way to rescue those remaining behind. That would provide the writers with a mechanism for exploring the big picture surrounding the island and the Others.

For now, of course, massive questions remain. Will Charlie be able to escape his captors and stop the signal from being jammed? Will the JackLocke tribe manage to hold off the Others’ latest kidnapping campaign? Will the mission to the radio tower be successful? What about Locke and his current status? Beyond that, there are personal issues to be explored, which more than justifies a two-hour finale.
  • Dick van Dyke meets the beatles and Liam Neeson

Not a bad episode overall, especially as they seem to be making it up as they go along. What I don't understand is how they can spend millions of dollars and get the accents of Charlie's family and friends so badly wrong, a mixture of Dick van Dyke the beatles and Liam Neeson.
    I used to look forward to the next episode, now I can't wait for it to end.
  • Solid episode, but not above average

Overall, very good for a Charlie episode, the flashbacks feel alittle contrived but relate to the title of the episode so not overly contrived, the beach preparation gets you in the mood of anticipation for what is coming in the final, the ending doesn't pay off sadly in a way, you may already see this coming, and it feels rather mid-point than a cliffhanger or resolved, but that's ok, in comparison to the first few episodes of season 3, this is still a fairly good, but not brilliant episode well worth your time and sets the foundation, for what is sure to be, a memorable season finally.
  • Not what we expected, in either the flashback or the ending

Well, we're almost at the end of the season, and as is the custom we expect some huge revelations. We get more than a few in 'Greatest Hits', but after everything we've seen it might seem as a disappointment that the focus of the flashback is not someone more central but rather Charlie, who's been on the cusp of things all season, but never been in focus. But there's more to it than that.

First of all, we found out what the hell Jack has been planning ever since he learned Juliet was the mole, which he's known since 'D.O.C.' His plan is to wait for when the Others come to their campground, and have their tents set up with the dynamite from the 'Black Rock' When the Others arrive, he plans to blow them to bits. But Jack is so focused on his vision of vengeance, he seems to have forgotten Naomi and hopes of rescue. This is understandable, because when she became public knowledge, rather than celebrate their eminent rescue, they all started bickering about why Desmond and Hurley kept this a secret, and why no one told Jack. At one point Naomi actually says "Don't you people want to be rescued?" and it's a fair question, given the way people have been behaving. When Sayid raises the question, it finally seems to rouse Jack, and they focus us on a project that no one's followed up on since Day 2--- finding the radio tower where Rousseau's message was being broadcast from. Now we learn something even more tangent--- the signal is also being jammed by another Dharma station called the Looking Glass. According to Juliet, it's underwater and has been unmanned for years. But Sayid (who must have liberated the schematics when he was searching the Flame station in 'Enter 77') thinks he can find. But in order to turn it off, someone has to go underwater and do it manually.
    Once again, Jack dillies and dallies, but not for long. Minutes later, Karl (who has been persona non grata since Sawyer turned him loose in 'Stranger in a Strange Land') turns up with another warning ---- the Others are coming right now. This leads to a fascinating side route. Ben returns to the Others camps and, rather than answer anyone's question about Locke, he instead tells the Other that he's moving up the timetable. When Richard asks why, he says Jacob ordered it. This was the first time I suspected that Ben really hadn't been talking to anyone, cause I'm damn sure Jacob didn't tell him that. He also gives a gun back to Alex which he says she gave to Locke, but we will soon know that, too, was a lie. Ben is trying to regroup but things are spinning out of control. And Alex is the one who betrays him by telling Karl to warn the passengers. This proves that she was never really an Other, and that she clearly doesn't think Ben was ever her father. We won't see the true ramifications of this for another episode.

So when Karl comes, they have to drastically alter their plans, which leads to them leaving three behind ---- Sayid, Jin and Bernard (Yes, Rose and Bernard are back after having been gone all season. Nothing good can come from this) But what does any of this have to do with Charlie? Desmond has another of his visions in this episode, one that would seem to lead to rescue. (Given what we will later learn, I question the veracity of this, too, but let's let it go for now.) In order for this to happen, Charlie has to die (which may have been the reason Desmond had to save him all those times in the first place.) So, without knowing the details, he volunteers to go on a suicide mission underwater. (Now we have a glitch: on Day 6, a woman died when she went out swimming, and Charlie said he didn't swim.. Not he can't swim; he doesn't. Now possibly Charlie was still going through the bad part of his heroin addiction so he was afraid of dying, but why wouldn't Jack remember this? Maybe he was too focus on the drowning woman.) Anyway, Charlie says he can go.

Up until now, all of the flashbacks have been pretty unhappy moments for everybody, with little joy. When Jack got married or performed a miracle surgery on a woman, or when Locke found love with Helen, subsequent flashbacks would destroy them, so they would be very painful moments. Even Hurley's flashbacks which have been funny were painful moments to him as well. Charlie has been no different; has flashbacks have shown how he gave upo his religion to become a rock star, watched his band fall apart, while his brother got clean, and he was unable to accept that he was a has been.

But now, Charlie knows he's about to die, and he's decided that if the last 90 days have been a gift from some kind of benevolent entity, he's going to take only positive memories with him. We've seen Charlie's father as a cruel man, but now he's a proud papa. Liam has been seen as an enabler who destroyed his brother even as he cleaned himself back up; now we see two flashbacks where he showed them moment of pure happiness, where they showed him a gift. We've seen Charlie act cowardly in the face of adversity; now we see him save a woman's life in an alleyway (Interestingly, the woman was Nadia, Sayid's beloved who he's still searching from. Ironically, this took place in London, and we know that 'The Greater Good' Sayid spent time there. They may have just missed each other.) And the greatest moment of his life? The moment he met Claire. And we know right away he thought she was special. He was wearing his hood, meaning he was on drugs, but when he saw her, he took the hood off. He makes his final goodbyes. He leaves his Driveshaft ring (which we know has great significance to him in flashback #3) in Aaron's cradle, passing it down to his adopted son. Then it is lost (but it will turn up again, and I have no doubt there is still significance to it) He has a clingy moment with Hurley, even though there's a hint of malice in it. And when Desmond offers to take his place one last time, he makes sure that can't happen, and bravely jumps in.

Except he doesn't. Despite everything we've learned, he find a gap, and pulls himself to freedom. But his elation is short lived, as two Others emerge from the Looking Glass armed and really upset. Looks like Ben has been lying again. As I am a sentimental sap, I can't help but cheer to find him alive, wondering what will happen next

'Greatest Hits' isn't a perfect episode (it tries to cram in a lot of information in one hour, and does leave some gaps) and there area few holes that the series hasn't tried to explain for another season. But it does set things up for the season finale, which will be a total game changer for everybody.
  • But in a good way. Sets up the Season Finale

Greatest Hits is not the best episode of Lost, but it is defiantly the saddest with the druggie hobbit heading to his death in hopes that Claire and ‘Turnip Head’ get rescued. Also marked the return of Rose, Bernard and Karl. The latter bringing dark news to the Losties as Ben finally loses it. (Maybe because Alex was skinning Fluffy?) The perfect set-up scene for the season finale, where the Losties and the others will finally have a battle. In short, Greatest Hits sure isn’t the greatest episode, but it sure is the greatest set-up.
  • Charlie-centric! A great prelude to what should be an exciting and nerve-wracking season finale.

Though it came off a bit “awkward” with the solemn tone of Charlie’s story mixed in with the anticipation of ‘Through The Looking Glass’ I’ll have to say this episode was heart touching. It seem to be a foreshadowing of events to come. As we get to see flashbacks of Charlie’s life while he creates a list of his life’s “Greatest Hits” if felt almost like what one would describe as your life flashing before your eyes. True to the themes of lost within these flashbacks we also get to see a few more connections, specifically a Sayid-Charlie link.

Near the end of this episode we see a determined but somber Charlie, knowing full well the risk of his actions, make a heart touching sacrifice. With the value of a good suspense at high demand the producers leave us off here much like they left us with Locke. We’ll have to stay tuned to find out how things turn out for these two ‘Losties’.

The other focus of this episode was the impending battle between the Survivors and the Others. The plot only thickens as the survivors prepare for the showdown with a surprising twist at the end!
  • Charlie's "Greatest Hits" revealed!!

“Greatest Hits” provides a good segway into the season finale. However, I felt this episode was a tad messy. The overall story was captivating, and the end was heart-attack inducing (as per usual), but something was just odd. It mostly has to do with the flashbacks. Once they got going, I understood that each of these flashbacks is one of Charlie’s “greatest hits”. However, like I said, it felt messy going back and fourth so many time periods of Charlie’s life. Plus, the “6 hours ago” (I think it was six) flashback to the Others felt very out of place. Interesting, but out of place. In no way do I doubt Stephen Williams’s direction; he’s proved himself over and over again. I guess he was just taking a new route for this episode?

Also, I hate to say it, but at times I questioned the relevance of the flashbacks. I certainly didn’t want another “Stranger in a Strange Land” for Charlie. However, the heart-wrenching “hits” they each revealed totally makes up for any kind of “SIASL” similarities.

I never pegged Charlie as the “greatest hits” type, but his list just makes me love him even more. I knew the #1 hit was going to have something to do with Claire; I just wasn’t sure exactly what. I thought possibly their first kiss, but the moment Charlie picked is simply adorable and truly meaningful.

I laughed at the DS ring. I can’t remember the name it stands for, but it’s cool that it originally had nothing to do with Drive Shaft. And Liam talking about how he’ll never get married and have kids was humorously ironic.

The (re-)flashback to the Wonderwall scene made me think. I’m sure other people will notice this, but Desmond did not appear. I know that that has to do with his time travel, of course – but I got to thinking about how each event leads to another, and the whole space-time continuum craziness. Was Desmond really there the first time? Would Charlie remember seeing him (as some drugged-up guy on the street, of course)? Could Desmond’s interference have caused Charlie to be a second too late to help the woman in the ally? If TPTB ever decide to delve into the topic of time travel again, it will be interesting to see if this particular scene is readdressed. And I know most of this is rambling, but I really am fascinated by the concept of time travel!

I was whole-heartedly expecting Charlie to die. I was sooo happy when LOST appeared and he was still alive! Of course I want him to live, but let’s save any drama for the season finale. I couldn’t go into the final episode knowing Charlie is dead. Anyway, here’s hoping for the best.

Back on the main beach, I still don’t know where to stand when it comes to Juliet. She didn’t have much character development this episode, but I’m still on the fence about exactly how truthful she’s being. I liked seeing Karl. For some reason he just make me laugh. Plus, if he saves the Losties, he gets major points.

I’m happy Sayid stood up to Jack and told him to take the camp the tower instead of staying on the beach. The group scenes, especially when Kate said, “Here we go again” strongly reminded me first season glory. It’s so strange that THREE years ago the raft was launched and the hatch was opened. Those were the days…

Speaking of the hatch, where is Locke?! Is he alive?! The writers sure know how to reel us in for the season finale! And what an explosive finale it looks like it will be – no pun intended.
  • An emotion stage setting for the finale.

"Flashes Before Your Eyes" set off the major character arcs for both Desmond and Charlie this season. Desmond saving Charlie only to get a new vision of Charlie's horrible death repeatedly has taken a toll on his psyche. Likewise, knowing his demise is imminent has affected Charlie's behavior. As the season draws to an end, they would have to address it definitively, which plays in well with the overall storyline. So it makes sense to go back to Charlie, who hasn't had a flashback since the middle of last season, who reflects on his life while his destiny is closing in.

Charlie has been a polarizing character. Some have accused his storyline of treading water since he kicked his drug addiction. The exploration of his dark side in "Fire + Water", perhaps the most hated episode of the second season, became subject to a lot of negative criticism. Despite that, I've enjoyed Charlie's character and I liked "Fire + Water". His interactions with Hurley and Jin have been extremely entertaining in one of the most overlooked character relationships on the show (guess if they were lovers or mortal enemies critics would cite them more). Plus his relationship with Claire has been rewarding as well even if it doesn't get the publicity the Kate-Sawyer-Jack triangle does.

Considering the news Desmond's given him of his death, it makes sense for him to be thinking about his life (likely this has been his mindset all season). Charlie's flashbacks function more like a normal person would. Instead of one story playing parallel to the current action, the flashbacks are five moments not connected by narrative. While it doesn't add to the episode's story on the surface, the device adds to the emotional punch of the episode.

Also, the events tie in to Charlie's character. Since he was a child, his working class family depended on him to help them with his musical talent. Unfortunately, the rock and roll lifestyle got a hold of him and he found himself falling apart because of addiction. He has tried and desired to prove himself. So it is fitting that the moments Charlie considers his best reflect his need for validation, his music and family.

Charlie's mission with Desmond to The Looking Glass reinforces these memories. Being heard on the radio is the validation he needs, reinforced when Naomi tells of Drive Shaft's success since the crash. His leap of faith, believing his death will lead to the rescue of the other castaways, reminds him of the time he trusted his father to catch him in the pool (where someone could be heard saying Desmond). His brother giving him the ring symbolizes the responsibility bestowed upon him. Being the hero is recalled by helping Nadia. Finally, seeing Claire is the reminder of why he's doing it.

In another character connection, Charlie saves Sayid's love Nadia from a mugger (who looked like Liam). Without repeating previous reviews that detail the interconnected nature of the back stories and what that means, it adds to Nadia's story. It's practically a cliché for people from troubled nations in Europe and Asia to seek asylum in London. It's likely Nadia was in London before California, where Locke inspected her new home.

Desmond attempting to take Charlie's place is another way to read why Desmond has been having visions: he's meant to die instead. With fate imminent, it would make sense for Desmond to think there was another way to save someone he's become friends with, since Ms. Hawking never told him how specifically to read his flashes in "Flashes Before Your Eyes" besides course correction will negate any changes he makes. One clear hint that Charlie isn't out of the woods (besides being held at gunpoint) is that Desmond can't see what's happening. Assuming it's correct, Desmond can only have these visions if he's present when they happen.

With the threat of Charlie's death more vivid than ever, it makes the scenes where he bids farewell to his friends even more poignant. Hurley, who he has bonded to the most in a non-romantic way, is a touching farewell. Those two have had such great chemistry and this scene is a great example of them showing their serious side. Of course, his goodbyes to Claire would be different, as his actions are motivated by the possible future where Claire and Aaron are rescued. Claire accidentally leaving the DS ring behind adds to the already impressive punch.

This episode might've ended with Charlie jumping in the water, leaving us to assume his success when they contact Naomi's ship. However, they decide to go another route which is far more interesting. It turns out Ben lied (surprise, surprise) about The Looking Glass being flooded. In fact, two women inhabit it. Who these women are and why Ben lied about the station are two huge questions. Some theorized that they may be Dharma who managed to survive the purge because of their isolation. Whatever it is, it ties directly to Ben's need to control his people.

While Ben shot Locke to protect his place within The Others, that action ironically further showed his status is doomed for failure. His decision to move ahead with the attack, while it may be smart considering what we know about the main beach, is rash and symbolic of his losing control considering how he demanded it.

Naïveté is also a major flaw with Ben's leadership. He knows clearly how his daughter feels about the castaways and she has enough motivation to go against his rule. This dynamic is similar to him and Juliet, but unfortunately for him he is backed in a corner as far as who he can use to infiltrate the castaways. Both relationships give the castaways a big advantage. In a way, Ben giving the gun back to Alex shows a transfer of power, which is used to help the castaways.

On the other end, Jack reasserts his leadership in the main cast, which has been questioned since he returned, by revealing his plan. With some help by Rousseau, paying off her cameo in "The Brig", they plan to rig tents with dynamite, killing The Others looking for the pregnant women. The plans of the leaders from both ends complicate things further. The castaways know they're coming because of Juliet's information. Because The Others plan to head in early, the castaways won't have time to wire the dynamite properly. Such complexity among actions adds to the suspense, which has gone beyond critical mass.

Since they can't properly wire the explosives on this new timetable, Sayid suggests a contingency where a few stay behind and shoot at them, hopefully creating the same effect. Sayid is an obvious choice to stay behind as one of the gunmen. So is Jin, whose military background has been mentioned in prior episodes. Desmond could've been a good substitute, but his thoughts were on Charlie's fate. The wild card is of course Bernard. Where did a dentist from New York learn to shoot like that?

This season, some fans have complained (among other things) about the notable absence of Rose & Bernard, who finally return in this episode. While the producers have a story to tell, unfortunately the real world element isn't easily controllable. Considering the show's distance from every other major TV production, it's understandable that actors not under contract as leads would want to get work elsewhere if they aren't needed on Hawaii and that may make them unavailable for an unknown period.

This episode revisits and answers two long standing loose ends from the first season: the radio tower and the cable on the beach. Some have criticized the castaways for not going to the tower sooner (since any adventure with the cable has involved falling in one of Rousseau's traps), but unfortunately, they've only had fleeting access to communication devices and if they had, there would be no guarantee that anyone would be listening. With Naomi's satellite phone and her ship miles off shore, they now have both.

The cable connects the long rumored underwater station to the island. Some wondered why they wouldn't just cut the cable, assuming that it is the source of the blocking signal's power. That comment would've been an easy out for the writers and the stupidest architectural design flaw since the two meter wide thermal exhaust port in "Star Wars". The cable could also serve as a last ditch effort to keep the station connected to the island in case of a major storm.

This is the best penultimate episode of "Lost" to date. The stakes are as high as ever, with the showdown between The Others and the castaways drawing near. The flashback story had a lot of heart and was as emotional as ever considering the thought that Charlie would have to die to get everyone off the island. This episode prepares us, but even in doing that makes it so much harder.
  • I was hoping this'd be a good episode, but I never expected it'd be this good! I never cried at a TV show, but I came damn close here.

The episode opens up with all of the beach dwelling main characters trekking throught the jungle to find out what Jack's genious plan for saving them all is going to be. "When they show up, we're gonna blow them all to Hell!" Go on, Jack! Not the most sophisticated plan, but seems effective enough.

We are then treated to Charlie's first flashback. Ah, more about his sorry music career. Except then the second one was to do with his childhood. It wasn't until after this that I realised what Charlie was writing. It was the "Greatest Hits" of his life. What a genious way to use the flasbacks. Instead of a secondary story to the events on the island we get to see what Charlie believes were the best moments of his life. Although as soon as I realised this I knew when he met Claire would be his number one, but that didn't affect that scene's emotional impact.

This also meant that most of the episode could be spent on the island, which really helped this episode. We got dialogue from almost every character this week, and its nice to see Naomi out of bed now. One slight criticism though was her chat with Charlie. She accuses him of mocking her and he says he'd never mock a fellow Manc. To which she replies "You're from Manchester?" I was sitting there thinking, "Yes, you can tell Charlie's from Manchester due to his Mancunian accent. Whereas how he knows where you're from is nothing more than a great guess." Serioulsy, she sounds like a strange mix between Cockney(London), Central England and I suppose there's a bit of a north-western accent in there. Still, specific accents are hard to do and its only because I have relatives in Manchester that I picked up on it.

After that little rant, back to the episode. Charlie's goodbyes to the most important people to him on the island were incredible. My favourite was with Hurley. He had to insult him to prevent him from coming, but took it back and then told him he loved him. Considering Hurley knows about Charlie's impending doom you'd think he'd be a bit more worried about him, but that's just an after thought that didn't impact on the quality of that scene.

Then it was finally up to Charlie to sacrifice himself to save everyone. But wait, I'm pretty sure I can see an air pocket or something there, hah, the station's not flooded! I, like Charlie, was extatic that he was alive! Then, like him, when the two women with guns came in I thought: "Ah f***."

The flashbacks in this episode worked because we know the character so well now that we can be privy to the good in his life, without needing to see the bad. This was probably the best episode this season, and there have been some great ones. So with that, what can Jack show us about his ever exciting life next week that'll warrant him being the focus of the finale? It better be good.
  • You all everybody...

"Greatest Hits" is the latest album that Drive Shaft released, but only due to the knowledge of Charlie's death. Apparently, the band released a greatest hits album when they found out that Charlie's plain crashed. In this episode though, "Greatest Hits" could be referring to the 5 best moments in Charlie's life, these moments, he listed all throughout the episode, with flashbacks of each one.

The Flashback:

Greatest Hits #5:

"The first time I heard myself on the radio." That was #5 on Charlie's best moments. That was probably a dream come true for his band because they were working hard and playing at small gigs and then one day, *poof!*, they hear their song on the radio!

Greatest Hits #4:

"Dad teaching me to swim at Butlins." I have no idea why this was #4 on his list. It wasn't like he was a very good swimmer, he lied about it even. He told Jack that he could hold his breath for 4 minutes, but that was a huge lie. So I have no idea why this was on his list, I guess they just ran out of ideas, or maybe just for the sake of connecting it with what was happening on the island.

Greatest Hits #3:

"The Christmas Liam gave me the ring." They finally explain to us why the band's name is "Drive Shaft," but its not like anyone card much for the name anyway. I liked the part in the island where he gave Aaron the ring, that was great!

Greatest Hits #2:

"Woman outside Covent Garden calls me a Hero." This was obviously for the sake of connection of what was happening in the island. If this happened to anyone else, I doubt they'd really even remember doing that. Anyway, he wants to be a hero, he can be a hero.

Greatest Hits #1:

"The night I met you. (Claire)" This one was quite predictable, but it was great that he put it on his list! This was a great, "Bye! I'm going to kill myself to save you now!" for Claire. You can really tell that Charlie would make a good father for Aaron and a great husband to Claire.

The Island:

Karl warns the Losties that the others would be attacking one night earlier. That being said, the Losties had no time to prepare. Their plan was originally to blow up the tents with the dynamite from a distance, but now they'd have to make a bigger risk! Rousseau decided to help them with the dynamite and she got Bernard and Jin to help her activate the dynamites. That's right! Bernard and Rose are back! After about a season, they decided to bring back those two recurring stars. It was good to see them, but it was weird that they suddenly disappeared for awhile! Everyone else will be going to the radio tower while Danielle, Jin and Bernard attempt to kill the others. Jack is finally taking control, but it seems to get annoying.

Desmond tells Charlie that he will rescue the Losties from the island, but Charlie would have to die. That being said, Charlie risks his life for Aaron and Claire's safety. They follow the cable to sea, but when Charlie gets to the station, he receives a welcome he never expected! This episode had a great cliffhanger; perfect for the season finale next week!
  • Pathway to the finale.

Greatest Hits has been written with an intention to serve as nothing but a pathway to the grand finale expected next week. However, unlike some of the episodes that we were witness to this season , this was emotionally loaded and rightly so.

Just to reiterate a segment of what happened in this episode, Desmond informs Charlie that the rescue of the survivors is hinged on his death. Hence charlie decides to take a up a dangerous assignment that seemingly will result in his death.So as charlie prepares himself for the ordeal the viewers are taken through moments in charlie's life that are close to his heart.It is in these sequences that the writers have really performed a great job. Charlie so far had been depicted as a poignant yet good hearted junkie.And these moments seek to score on the sympathy quotient as we witness some touching moments of charlie's messed up life. Although at the end, Desmond offers to take up charlie's position in the ordeal ,charlie's decides to risk his life for the safety of all. As was expected charlie isn't dead yet.I think charlie is just too important to this story line to be killed off.However the ending as always only raised more questions.

All in all a great emotionally laced episoded intended to plug away at the heartstrings.Lost has had this pattern of "set episodes" where one episodes sets it up nicely for a dramatic subsequent episode.And "Greatest Hits" serves to do the same for what should be an explosive,violent and adrenaline guzzling finale.
  • Another great installment to the already fantastic season.

It was a good episode, highly tensed and very touching because it was expected Charlie's fate will be decided in this one. I wasn't expecting it to end the way it did. Thought it will be like Charlie suffocating in water fighting for his life and then the Lost title card and trade mark ending sound or some other thing leaving us perplexed as to what will happen to charlie but with the way it ended it leaves room for more interesting things to happen.

The flashback was good, it did its job in making us think that was the end for Charlie taking us through the best moments in his life from his own perspective.The brief conversation between Charlie and Naomi was interesting as Charlie was able to learn a bit of what was happening in the world following the aftermath of the crash.

Jack's plan for the "others" was expected, I watched the previews so I was expecting most of this but not Rosseau to be involved. It was also nice seeing Rose and Bernard after some while. Its going to be a nail-biting season finale, can't wait.
  • Jack takes action. Sayid takes action. Charlie and Desmond take action. Action everywhere!

A few things stand out in this episode. I really like how we are brought back to the cable on the beach, something we all recognize from season 1 and yet, it does not seemed forced into the plot at all. It was a very believeable explanation and connection to DHARMA. Charlie's flashbacks did not make me want to punch him. In fact, I thought they were kinda cool. But Bernard/Rose's first appearance all seas bothers me since it just for plot purposes. I liked how they usually have a slight thoughtful/touching impact on the other survivors. Not here.
  • More action than unanswered questions - finally!

More action than unanswered questions - finally! Altough mysteries can be good, too, or else I wouldn't be watching this series, this was way much better. Charlie's death was becoming a joke ("you're gonna die" - when? everybody dies one day, so it's a meaningless statement by itself), and finally it can have a meaning. It's a good day to die, the indians used to say. But I'm afraid there's not much of a choice here, they can't be rescued yet. Or maybe some more helicopters come, but none of them will leave. I'm so looking forward to see the look on Ben's face when his team gets kicked in the *ss and blown up, but I'm sure that he won't give up and leave the survivors alone even if this really happens.
  • Nice set up for the season finale.

sorry about the english.

"Gratest Hits" is nothing but a preparation for "Through the Looking Glass". But the guys behind the series did a good job hiding this from us. Centered on Charlie, takes us to 5 of his best memories and it's by far his best flashbacks ever ("The Moth" still is the greatest Charlie-Centric episode though.). Follow his memories was a very emotional experience, and the fact that this time everything indicated that he would die made it even more emotional. And I don't even like the character too much. Well, I can say I like him a little bit more now, and I almost hoping that he still be alive in the next season. On a side note, Jack's "leadership", as aways, seemed artificial to me. I just can't understand why nobody stands up against him. What a bunch of weak minds those survivors. With some exeptions like Locke Sayid and Sawyer, nobody questions him. Kate (A.K.A Jack's bit*h is the worst. Just compare with Ben's leadership and see the brutal difference. While Ben's looks natural, Jack's is nothing but an imposition from the series creators. Don't get me wrong, I like Jack, but is just annoyng to me when he starts to "lead".

But I guess it's something we'll have to live with. Despite of that, "GH" is a very good way to keep us wondering what the hell will happen in the season finale. This episode made my expectations went even higher than before. And it fooled me completely about Charlie's fate. Well done.
  • Review

Solid episode overall. I liked the flashback this time around, going through the five moments in his life that he remembers and cherishes the most. Nadia showing up in yet another losties flashback is kind of cool, I didnt expect her to be showing up in this episode. Everything on the island itself was pretty much a filler to prepare for next week. I still expect and in my mind, need Charlie to die in order for me to be happy with the writing. Everything has set the stage for Charlie to die in the season finale next week, so hopefully next week will live up to all the hype. Overall, it was a decent episode but it wasnt anything that amazing that Im going to want to watch over and over again to get ready for next week. I liked the scene at the beginning a lot with Jack saying that they were going to "blow them all to hell". I liked the mini-Karl flashback that showed how he got to where he was. I liked the scene between Claire and Charlie a lot, effectivly saying goodbye without really saying it.
  • Charlie risks his life for the better of everyone else. The castaways finalize their plans for the arrival of the Others. Karl returns with a warning that may alter their plans.

A very pivotal episode that nicely sets up next week's season finale. Jack takes everyone out to the jungle to along with the help of Danielle show how he plans to deal with the arrival of the others. We see that the dynamite Danielle took from the black rock was for the plan to combate the arrival of the Others by blowing them up. Juliet would mark the tents like she is supposed to only inside will be the explosives instead of the pregnant women. Sayid tries to tell Jack about the satellite phone and the boat that is 80 miles offshore but Juliet tells him an under water station "The Looking Glass" jams all signals. So is up to the illfated Charlie to swim down and turn a switch off and then according to the premonitions of Desmond drown. This episode features some of the nicest and most heartwarming flashback as Charlie counts down the 5 best moment in his life. At the beach Karl arrives to tell all the castaways the Others are coming a night early. Jack and company decide to change their plans and decide on 3 shooters to aim at the tents in order to set off the explosives. They are Sayid, Bernard, and Jin. Jack leads the rest of the castaways to the radio tower. Out in the water Desmond tells Charlie to hang onto his list of memories and that he will go down. Charlie knocks out Desmond realizing it is his time to go. Charlie swims down into the station and into an open area he gets above water and realizes he is alive. He is then greeted by 2 woman in the station with guns. Wow what an ending there and alright folks let the countdown to the big finale next week begin. I can't wait.
  • Charlie !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Charlie has flashbacks of the five best moments in his life which were : 5) The first time he heard his song on the radio, 4) The first time he jumped into a pool, 3) When a woman called him a hero, 2) When his brother gave him the family ring, 1) The moment he met Claire. It was so sad !!! Oh my god me and my friends were watching this episode on DVD and every one of us was crying. Also everyone on the camp get ready to go to war with the others. Jack will take everyone to the Radio tower even though Sayid was supposed to do that. Desmond has a flash farward. Desomond says that he saw Claire getting on a plane and being rescued but he also says that if Charlie dosen't die this time then that won't happen so Charlie is determined to face death. So to face death Charlie takes on the mission of getting to an underwater station so he can flip the switch which stops the others from blocking the transmissions and radio signals. When Charlie gets there two women with guns run out of a room and point a gun at him. Charlie giving Araon his family ring and the way he said goodbye to Hurley really saddened me. I know he's going to die but I just don't want it to happen. Favorite character from this episode : Charlie !!
  • I cried but I didn't sob. I would sob if it was Sawyer

Jin... You were right. It's a girl. The delivery was hard on me... The doctor said I was calling out for you... I wish you could've been there. Jin... She's beautiful. Ji Yeon. I named her just like you wanted. I miss you so much. I miss you so muchJin... You were right. It's a girl. The delivery was hard on me... The doctor said I was calling out for you... I wish you could've been there. Jin... She's beautiful. Ji Yeon. I named her just like you wanted. I miss you so much. I miss you so muchJin... You were right. It's a girl. The delivery was hard on me... The doctor said I was calling out for you... I wish you could've been there. Jin... She's beautiful. Ji Yeon. I named her just like you wanted. I miss you so much. I miss you so muchJin... You were right. It's a girl. The delivery was hard on me... The doctor said I was calling out for you... I wish you could've been there. Jin... She's beautiful. Ji Yeon. I named her just like you wanted. I miss you so much. I miss you so muchJin... You were right. It's a girl. The delivery was hard on me... The doctor said I was calling out for you... I wish you could've been there. Jin... She's beautiful. Ji Yeon. I named her just like you wanted. I miss you so much. I miss you so muchJin... You were right. It's a girl. The delivery was hard on me... The doctor said I was calling out for you... I wish you could've been there. Jin... She's beautiful. Ji Yeon. I named her just like you wanted. I miss you so much. I miss you so muchJin... You were right. It's a girl. The delivery was hard on me... The doctor said I was calling out for you... I wish you could've been there. Jin... She's beautiful. Ji Yeon. I named her just like you wanted. I miss you so much. I miss you so muchJin... You were right. It's a girl. The delivery was hard on me... The doctor said I was calling out for you... I wish you could've been there. Jin... She's beautiful. Ji Yeon. I named her just like you wanted. I miss you so much. I miss you so muchJin... You were right. It's a girl. The delivery was hard on me... The doctor said I was calling out for you... I wish you could've been there. Jin... She's beautiful. Ji Yeon. I named her just like you wanted. I miss you so much. I miss you so muchJin... You were right. It's a girl. The delivery was hard on me... The doctor said I was calling out for you... I wish you could've been there. Jin... She's beautiful. Ji Yeon. I named her just like you wanted. I miss you so much. I miss you so muchJin... You were right. It's a girl. The delivery was hard on me... The doctor said I was calling out for you... I wish you could've been there. Jin... She's beautiful. Ji Yeon. I named her just like you wanted. I miss you so much. I miss you so muchJin... You were right. It's a girl. The delivery was hard on me... The doctor said I was calling out for you... I wish you could've been there. Jin... She's beautiful. Ji Yeon. I named her just like you wanted. I miss you so much. I miss you so muchJin... You were right. It's a girl. The delivery was hard on me... The doctor said I was calling out for you... I wish you could've been there. Jin... She's beautiful. Ji Yeon. I named her just like you wanted. I miss you so much. I miss you so muchJin... You were right. It's a girl. The delivery was hard on me... The doctor said I was calling out for you... I wish you could've been there. Jin... She's beautiful. Ji Yeon. I named her just like you wanted. I miss you so much. I miss you so muchJin... You were right. It's a girl. The delivery was hard on me... The doctor said I was calling out for you... I wish you could've been there. Jin... She's beautiful. Ji Yeon. I named her just like you wanted. I miss you so much. I miss you so muchJin... You were right. It's a girl. The delivery was hard on me... The doctor said I was calling out for you... I wish you could've been there. Jin... She's beautiful. Ji Yeon. I named her just like you wanted. I miss you so much. I miss you so muchJin... You were right. It's a girl. The delivery was hard on me... The doctor said I was calling out for you... I wish you could've been there. Jin... She's beautiful. Ji Yeon. I named her just like you wanted. I miss you so much. I miss you so muchJin... You were right. It's a girl. The delivery was hard on me... The doctor said I was calling out for you... I wish you could've been there. Jin... She's beautiful. Ji Yeon. I named her just like you wanted. I miss you so much. I miss you so muchJin... You were right. It's a girl. The delivery was hard on me... The doctor said I was calling out for you... I wish you could've been there. Jin... She's beautiful. Ji Yeon. I named her just like you wanted. I miss you so much. I miss you so much
  • Overally, this was an incredibly emotional episode, with some very promising set up that will lead up to an explosive and jaw dropping finale. While this was very transitional, it didn't have the usual transitional feeling: making it a true masterpiece.

Most shows have trouble with the episode before the finale. Setting up the finale is usually somewhat boring, and has a very big transition feeling to it. Fortunately, the Lost writers were able to avoid this. Charlie's fate has been a big question mark this season. It's obvious that Desmond can't save him forever. Especially not, if Charlie's death would lead up to something good... e.g. the survivors getting rescued.

Charlie's sacrifice is very heroic, similiar to Desmond's sacrifice at the end of season 2. Jack finally acting as a leader is a welcome change. Him sharing every information and laying off a plan to fight the others is welcome too. The day is finally here... the others should fear of the "losties", not vica versa.

Charlie's having flashbacks, of his 5 greatest moments. Of his life. While the flashbacks aren't linked together, each shows us a new layer of Charlie's character.

Kudos to the writers, Adam Horowitz and Edward Kitsis.
  • A great episode for Charlie!

The greatest hits are Charlie's most memorable moments, and they are memorable indeed. Even more so is that he is willing to sacrifice himself for his friends. As for the rest, they are busy preparing a trap for the others. It seems a little overkill to me to blow them up with dynamite. Normally I like when the characters get dark, so when I think it's overkill, it's too dark! Overall a good episode, and the ending seems to leave it open for a whole other set of others to learn about next season.
  • Setup for the season finale.

This was a good episode of Lost. They were setting up all the Lost goodness for the season finale tomorrow night. I can't wait it's going to be awesome. Anyway this episode took us down flashbacks of Charlie. Charlie through flashbacks revealed to us his five top moments of his life. The one I really liked was when the woman called him a hero. That was such a real life ordeal right there. I mean people would really just walk right on by and not pay any attention to something like that. That was very well-written by the writers. I am hoping that Charlie does live through his ordeal under the sea. There is so much more they can do with Charlie and his ever developing relationship with Claire. Let's just hope good ole Charlie lives :)
  • My Greatest hit, Noble Heroic

Ive always wanted Charlie to die but still Im glad we were able to see him leave on a good note are so we think. Ive never liked Jack but honestly sayid was also getting on my nerves they have always clashed even though Sayid and Jack are much stronger when working on the same side. The beginning was great especially to have half the cast. Juliet is still hiding somthing and so is Jack. The real episode was on Charlie and he was remembering all the great memories in his life I enjoyed the different flashbacks rathe then just a story. Desmonds role in the episode was good too sacricficeing his life rather then Charlie. Clarie should be more used! nice to see Rose and Bernard but is thier a salon hatch I dont know about because Roses hair! lol Lost has taken this season and really made it its own So many differences between seasons. As speculated Karl returned to warn them of the Others arival I enjoy the Karl Alex couple its the one relationship thats not confusing. Lockes Fate is unknown but Locke is defently not dead or at least for now. We will finally be able to see this infamous radio tower that Ive been wishing to see since the beginning. Everything in the episode was setting up for next weeks Season Finalie last episode untill Febuary 08 I would rather have 2 seasons with 24 episodes all season long rather then 3 more seasons with 16 episodes starting midseason. I mean 16 x 3 = 48 24x2=48 same amount.
< 1 2 3 4