Lost

Greatest Hits

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM May 16, 2007 on ABC

• You know when a show hooks you to a character when you try and hold back the tears before he is sentenced to his doom. And then you reach the ending...

Wow is all I can say after that episode. The whole episode reminded me of the season 1 episodes, mixed together with much more mythology that we got in the episodes from season 2. Charlie is easily my favorite character behind Locke after this episode. His whole character is just fantastic and this episode definitely showed how to make a viewer care for a character.

So, the title, Greatest Hits, is one of those titles that actually makes its way into the story of the episode well. Throughout the episode, we learn of Charlie's own moments in which he calls his life's greatest hits. The flashbacks were done in a very unique and awesome way in which we saw all these different points from Charlie's life that are his greatest hits. This is probably one of the few episodes this season that made the flashbacks something completely special (although there have been a handful still).

The episode also does a great job of developing the story of the upcoming brawl between the Others and our own losties. Indeed, it is interesting to see that the dynamite from the Brig is brought back into play as Jack reveals that he will use the dynamite to blow up the Others once they storm the camp. Unfortunately, his plan is ruined once Karl comes and warns the camp that the Others will be arriving not tomorrow as expected, but this night. And yes, this leads to a whole revamp of the plan that involves three of our losties staying back to shoot the dynamite from the treeline as the Others try and steal the pregnant women. This creates much tension throughout the situation as Jack returns as a leader and Sayid becomes the strong soldier that we knew he still had inside him. It's also nice to see Rose and Bernard play a role in the episode. That's another thing about this episode, it made sure that characters each had their good amount of camera time so that the episode wasn't too focused on one aspect. It works incredibly well to create this sort of rush that we find as the losties get ready for the Others.

On the other side of the conflict, we find that Juliet knows of a new station, the Looking Glass (hint hint), that is underwater and is blocking all transmissions that are outgoing from the Island. This becomes the heart of the story, as Desmond tells Charlie that he is supposed to flip a switch in this station. Unfortunately, he will die trying to do so, yet this will lead to the rescue of Claire and the baby, Aaron. This complication gives the episode some emotional value, as we see Charlie try and make amends with people such as Claire and Hurley before he goes on his own suicide mission to get everyone else rescued. It is also hard to watch Desmond as he struggles to send Charlie off to his death, as he even tries to be the one to take Charlie's place.

However, the whole dedication of Charlie comes to a stop as Charlie reaches the station to only be taken hostage by two women. This means, however, that Desmond was wrong about Charlie. He didn't die! So, yes, it does make the emotional part of the episode a little less significant when you reach the ending, but it creates this sort of mountain that is the finale. And that's great, considering that it may be not only the best of this season, but of the whole show. I can't wait!
  • Overall, this episode is a powerful prelude to the season finale, setting the stage for the culmination of plot threads that have been building for the past year.

Throughout the third season, the writers have presented a case for Charlie’s demise. Desmond has saved him at least four times, sometimes at apparent personal cost. That knowledge has pushed Charlie into consideration of his life and his choices, and while the self-centeredness remains, it’s not quite so prominent. Sooner or later, of course, Charlie was going to have to face up to fate, and that moment comes in this episode.

Coming into this episode, Charlie had resisted true redemption at least twice. He had the opportunity early in the series with Locke, who thought that the island would make his guidance a simple matter. That wasn’t quite true, and Charlie was tempted by his past. Eko was something of a mentor for Charlie, but that situation was borne out of dishonest intentions, and so nothing came of it. Now with Desmond, Charlie has a compelling reason to consider his choices and his self-worth.

The way of the island has been fairly consistent: those who embrace change live, those who resist change die. Charlie has been resisting change, and so his fate has apparently been sealed. Faced with the possibility of saving Claire and Aaron through the ultimate self-sacrifice, one could argue that Charlie finally makes a critical psychological change, placing the interests of others above his own. And in the way of the island, that presents the possibility of salvation.

That possibility doesn’t present itself until the very end, which is a nice touch. The writers take it far enough to ensure that Charlie is willing and ready to die for Claire and Aaron, so his psychological choice is made and committed. Selling that reality is an important element of the episode’s success. He earns redemption in a manner that feels satisfying to the audience, and it’s possible that his capture is the result of that possible reprieve. On the other hand, Desmond’s vision could still come true. Charlie is hardly out of the woods yet!

This is important, because without this important step in Charlie’s character arc, this transitional episode would have been a lot less satisfying. This was really a matter of staging the pieces on the board in the positions necessary for the season finale, and Charlie’s part was just one of several important movements. The writers did an excellent job of letting the character arc drive what could have been rather impersonal.

Beyond Charlie, there was the reestablishment of Jack as the warrior chieftain of the JackLocke tribe. With Sawyer and Sayid reaffirming their own roles over the past several episodes, this was an important consideration. One might quibble over Jack’s abrasive (and almost petulant) attitude, but faced with stiff opposition, he had to assert his control. It’s practically impossible for Jack to do otherwise, given his psychology. (And in fact, in light of the way of the island, Jack has been in the crosshairs for quite some time for that very reason.) It’s also excellent that Sayid, as the tribal sheriff, takes command of the military action.

That said, Jack’s plan is hard to argue against, and it’s great to see some of the lingering plot threads coming together. Danielle has been a resource waiting to be employed, and previous episodes this season have hinted at this larger role. This ties in nicely with her scene in “The Brig”, and given that her repeating radio signal from the pilot is getting in the way, the radio tower she mentioned back in the first season comes into play. Together with the underwater station, something that was all but revealed in “Enter Seven Seven”, the radio tower represents a payoff for minor plot points that have gathered for years.

In terms of the Others, there’s more of a parallel between Ben and Jack than has been shown in previous episodes. In retrospect, of course, it’s all right there on the screen. Just like Jack, Ben has been facing resistance by other sources of leadership in his camp. And like Jack, Ben asserts his control by proposing a plan of action, dismissing potential conflicts of personal interest in the process.

The difference, of course, is that Jack finds a way to bring his alliance with Juliet in line with the demands of the tribe’s survival. Juliet’s knowledge, while given for unknown reasons, is useful to the survival of the JackLocke tribe, especially with the potential for rescue. Ben, on the other hand, saw his own turncoat as a threat and took him out of the equation. It remains to be seen if that difference plays into the circumstances of the season finale.

The potential for rescue should not be seen as a red herring; after all, Penny Widmore has the resources and the willpower to see it through, if a signal can be sent. And wouldn’t that be a “game changer” on a level beyond simple speculation? Especially when one considers that the rescue could seem to be going off without a hitch and run into massive complications. It could come down to some of the characters getting off the island, trying to work out a way to rescue those remaining behind. That would provide the writers with a mechanism for exploring the big picture surrounding the island and the Others.

For now, of course, massive questions remain. Will Charlie be able to escape his captors and stop the signal from being jammed? Will the JackLocke tribe manage to hold off the Others’ latest kidnapping campaign? Will the mission to the radio tower be successful? What about Locke and his current status? Beyond that, there are personal issues to be explored, which more than justifies a two-hour finale.
  • The day that Charlie was supposed to die.

It began like any other day, with yet another vision from Desmond, and although it seemed quite easy to avoid this time, it would come with a great prize: neither Claire nor Aaron would ever get out of the island. So Charlie wrote his favourite moments on a paper, kissed his non-wife goodbye and spent a last moment with the son he would never see grow up before he would meet his ultimate fate.

It’s hard to say which the hardest part was: to know what was going to happen or to watch Aaron caress Charlie’s face good bye. How can a man knowingly walk to his death like this? For as steady and strong as it was this is still Charlie we’re talking about; a couple of months ago he was still an addict, as distant from religion as he was from real human contact, we slowly saw him grow from the pitiful has been that he was into a man anyone would feel proud to shake hands with, the kind of man Claire could rely on, the kind of father Aaron would’ve feel proud of and the kind of man that would die to buy his mates a way out. The kind of man we would miss, deeply.
  • tearjerker.

This was an absolutely excellent episode. It was very emotional. I loved the flashback style. Everything from Charlie and Hurley's hug, to Charlie's Driveshaft ring being left behind was all so touching. This whole episode left tears in my eyes. The new hatch was really cool. We finally find out what the wire on the beach leads to. Charlie became one of my favorite characters again in this episode. Desmond and Charlie had some really good scenes together. The one of them in the boat was very touching. Amazing writing in this one. I loved every moment from start to finish!
  • Without a doubt, the best episode of the season.

Presumably this is a Charlie centric episode and by its title 'Greatest Hits' we can decipher that this episode decides his fate. To be fair I've never liked Charlie. I always found him annoying and not really important to the show. But this episode changed it all and pointed just how significant each character in the show is. The flashbacks were tear jerking and one of the best. I am not going to post any spoilers here, so to sum it all up,it was the best episode of the season. I cannot imagine any lost fan not liking this episode. This season had started slow but has really picked up pace in the last few episodes, which have been the best and the most entertaining in the series.
  • First time I cried on Lost - AMAZING episode, one of the best E V E R!!!

This episode was so amazing! I just couldn't keep my eyes off of it, it was mind blowing and really the perfect way to start a world altering finale. I can't wait for next week and I'm dying to find out what's happening.
    Charlie was so amazing in this episode. He's sacrificing himself to save Claire and Aaron, the two people that have probably changed his life like no one else. It was brilliant to portray his life like that in form of "Greatest Hits" and I was crying like a baby more than once. And finally, Claire and Charlie kissed, although it's probably been the last time they've seen each other. I don't know though... Desmond's vision hasn't been like that, has it? Either Desmond lied about Charlie drowning or he just forgot to mention the gun pointing women in that hatch. What's with them anyway? Do they belong to the others or are they actually the last survivors of the Dharma initiative?? I don't get it. As usual, I'm totally confused.
    Also, I hate it that we didn't get to see Locke. He can't really be dead, can he?
  • "Greatest Hits" is the BEST EPISODE of Season 3. Period.

Best edited, best written, best shot, best transitional, best character development-- "Greatest Hits" proves that Lost still has some tricks up it's sleeves. Not only is this the best episode of the season, this may in fact be the single best episode since Season One. An incredibly emotional episode as well, a real tear jerker thanks the decisive acting by the cast-- notably Matthew Foxx and Dominic Monahagan. If anything" Greatest Hits" is a perfect lead-up to the season finale. If Lost continues to be this good and this well-executed (the last couple episodes have been great!), old-fans should definitely come back and watch the show again.
  • I have never cried during an episode of Lost, but I did tonight.

I don't whether it was the actual storyline, or the fact that it brough out my emotions like no television show ever before, but Greatest Hits was my favourite episode of Lost. Ever. It was very touching that Charlie was willing to sacrifice himself to save Claire & Aaron and his flashbacks were very touching, this episode could also have been titled 'Flashes Before Your Eyes' which I only get the allusion from the episode earlier in the season. Hurley was very funny this episode, "Dude, that's not cool". I can't really say anything more about the episode, only that it was the best episode yet, but I expect next week to be a perfect 10.
  • My personal favorite.

What can I say... no matter how many times I watch this episode the tears keep coming. "Greatest Hits" really just tugs at the heart strings for those that love Charlie. As you all know this episode is Charlie's "last" episode featuring his flash backs. The flashbacks are the top five best moments of his life. The sweetest thing about these memories are that they are real, they are humbling and they have such special connections with other characters on the show. Numbers 3-1 are when the emotions really start running and don't stop.

"#3.The Christmas Liam gave me the ring." Charlie leaves the DS ring to Aaron because it was meant to go to his son.

"#2.The woman outside Covent Garden calls me a hero" He rescues a woman in the alley who turns out to be Sayid's Nadia and she tells him that he is a true hero. The final and best moment (I cried for a good 20 minutes after this one) "#1.The night I met you." From the second the chemistry between Charlie and Claire started you just wanted them together and each bump they would hit in their relationship, you felt like you wanted to crawl into that TV and help them work it out. They had such a sweet, pure and genuine love for one another without screaming it all over the TV. It was the love that didn't even get its chance. I am a hopeless romantic at heart, and being that Charlie was/is my favorite character, this makes "Greatest Hits" my all time favorite episode. I wonder... did Aaron ever get the ring?
  • If an episode makes you tear up, and not because of how horrible it was, you know it deserves a 10.

What an episode. I would've never thoguht that I'd end up giving a Charlie episode that is actually a SETUP episode a 10. But I did.

This episode is the saddest episode of the show so far. Charlie's told his newest "death scene" by Desmond. Only thing is, this time... he has to die. If he does, Claire and the baby's rescued by a helicopter.

Which leads Charlie to prepare his Greatest Hits.His greatest 5 moments of his life. And we get to see these through the flashback.

What a tearjerker. I think during moment 4 it was the first time I got teary eyed. And it was all a downhill from there. I was almost literally crying at the end of the episode.

What was so great about these moments is that they were all realistic. It wasn't like... my greatest moment of life is when I invented the nuclear bomb. The other greatest moment is when I saved the USA. No. Charlie's moments are all easy to relate to.

Besides this, the episode was a huge set up to the war of the others. Amazing stuff, but it was Charlie's storyline that made the episode.

The saddest sequence of scenes of the show ever, and, possibly, of TV ever, for me, has to be the scene where Desmond and Charlie arrive to the hatch where Charlie has to swim down to and push a button that disables the radio jammer so that Naomi can contact his people. Desmond offering his will to swim down instead of charlie was an indication of true friendship. But no. Charlie knows what he has to do, and knocks out Desmond. His swim to the bottom was incredible. His shoes came off, which is great symbolism which takes me back to the pilot. And, what a tearjerker once again.

But guess what. The station isn't flooded. Charlie lives? No.... 2 armed others rush out and hold him at gun point. Oh snap.

Surely, I was ready for him to die. So the ending was a bit "disappointing".... not. It was a great ending, and I think the majority was aware that this means nothing. THe station can still be flooded, and Charlie will still have to die. But the fact that we accepted his death will ensure that his exit will be HEROIC. Overall, I'm blown away by the amazingness of this episode. A true character driven masterpiece.
  • Many truths revealed in this episode if you pay attention. Awesome! Of course some new questions as well (pod-people: who are these women-why are they only women-maybe the pregnant women don't die after all?) But this is mainly Charlie's episode...

I loved this episode. When other characters have died, it was sad. But we’ve so gotten to know Charlie. And the anticipation that he may die makes us more attached to him. I actually teared up when he jumped off the catamaran--I didn’t do that when Boone, or Shannon, or any of the Tailies (even Mr Echo, who was a great character) died. Maybe it was because he chose, and we knew he would choose, to jump…

Charlie is my favorite character–if he dies I will be greatly distressed. He represents hope. Charlie is in all of us (our own little “inner-junkie” if you will). We’ve all done Something at some point that we regret (however large or small)–tried to make the right decision, but screwed up, just the same. We WANT him to succeed, because he represents the promise of redemption. His heart is in the right place, no matter how much he manages to screw it up. Charlie needs to live–and in the end, win the day. Desmond struggles with this–he knows Charlie should, by all accounts, die; but he also knows that Charlie needs to be the one to save them all.
  • Amazing episode, terrific acting and very good music. A massive build up, a flashback to Charlie's greatest moments, his death seemed sure to happen... the shocking thing was that it didn't.

I must admit, my eyes welled up a little at 2 points in this episode, the first being the scene between Charlie and Hurley, this was suberb and the second being just before Charlie jumps into the water.

The music throughout this episode was very well composed and it fit ever scene perfectly.

As well as there being some heart-moving moments throughout this episode with Charlie, the build up for the finale was also taking place, the table is set now for the last episode!

The ending of this episode was the shocker, Charlie didn't die, and the whole build up throughout the season and this episode suggested that he would.

"I'm alive" he screamed repeatedly! But I don't think he will make it still which will make the next episode even more of a Tearjerker!
  • WOW!

This was a total tearjerker. Although the reveals were minimal, we still learned about the underwater hatch, and actually visisted it as well.(Hope Locke doesn't blow thus one up as well, lol) An underwater hatch has been speculated for quite some time now. And finally we see it. Its really great. And the Charlie scenes were very good. Definetly emotional. Charlie facing his doom was so touching. I definetly think that Lost has not only bounced back but become better than it has ever been. With this episode as a setup, the season finale is sure to be very good.
  • What an episode that was, bring on "Through the Looking Glass"!

Around the middle of season 2 of Lost I started to find that Charlie was becoming annoying to watch. However, recently leading up to what I believe will be his inevitable death he has started to grow on me again, adn after today I was really starting to hope that he lived. This episode was filled with action from the word go, even though it was only a small step towards all the things we have been waiting to happen, there was no point where I felt like it was going too slow or uneventful. We saw a wide variety of characters, including R&B who haven't had a lot of screen time since SOS. Charlie's flashbacks were nice as well, going through all the best moments of his life as he wrote them down on the island for Claire. The ending was also just as would have liked it, Desmond showed that he wasn't going to be a coward and yet still didn't die (while I do like Charlie again I still like Desmond more) and the ending came as a nice little "it's not going to be that easy" supprise. Looking forward to the final!
  • While this episode is clearly centered around Charlie, with an excellent (seemingly) final evolution of the character, it is almost as much about Jack--and makes for a fantastic, classically structured episode, powerful in many ways...

There was so much build up prior to this episode (both within the story and in the promotion of the episode) about Charlie dying, that I highly suspected he wouldn't die, because Lost is seldom obvious. And though my suspicions were affirmed, the producers did an excellent job of making me believe [during the episode] that he may very well die. And he sitll may. There's no reason to believe Desmond's vision won't still come true. Charlie is, after all, in the Looking Glass station. It just needs to be flooded, with him flipping the switch and drowning, for the vision to come true. But there are a few core story elements worth looking at here:

Charlie: Great job with the flashbacks of Charlie's best moments (greatest hits) from his life, which presented an emotional backdrop of the present-day realization of Charlie's character. Charlie has always struggled with his darker side, mainifested most prominently in his drug use and some level of selfishness (liking Claire and the baby largely for the aspect of an instant-made family). But he has evolved. And Charlie, different from some of the other survivors, has actively sought redemption, rather than being confronted with choices that force it. First through Locke, then through Eko, Charlie sought to be better than he was, sometimes failing, but ever trying. And perhaps his persistent failures at redemption led to his imminent demise, as seen in Desmond's visions. But his final willingness for the ultimate self-sacrifice may have granted him redmeption finally.

But questions remain here. Charlie's imminent death only came about after the hatch explosion, the same one that gave Desmond premonitions about Charlie's death. And Desmond's premontions, though including related events, have always only been about Charlie dying. Is Desmond partially right in some way? Is he somehow the cause of Charlie dying? Either way, the spiritual evolution of Charlie was played out well here. Interestingly, he entered the episode essentially already ready for such a sacrifice, since he accepted it rather quickly, and no conflict was mirrored in his flashback (as is usually the case). He had already fully evolved.

Greatest hit #2: This flashback was extremely significant for a couple reasons. For one, Charlie's brief encounter with the woman being mugged (who is Sayid's Nadia) was meaningful, as it allowed Charlie to do something truly good, and be a "hero", as Nadia put it. And Nadia's insistence to Charlie that he was a hero (and that no one should ever tell him differently) was so strong, that it may have been an important part of Charlie being able to embrace being one in deciding to sacrifice himself to save Claire. Interestingly, though, this appears to be the same flashback where Desmond met Charlie, and realized so in his (Desmond's) own flashback--which at the time left us wondering if Desmond was somehow time-travelling via his flashback. It seems as though he may not have been, since that encounter never happened (at least the way it did in Desmond's flashback). So does that mean that Desmond's whole strange "Flashes" flashback was all just a dream, since it clearly did not happen the way he remembered it. And if it had, it seems like Desmond's interaction with Charlie would have delayed him just long enough so that he wouldn't be at the alley in time to save Nadia. And maybe it was just the way it was produced, but Charlie's saving of Nadia, and her reaction, seemed almost pre-arranged. Was it Desmond who sent Charlie on his death journey in the first place with some weird connection to his (Desmond's) flashback, or was it the natural way of things?

Jack: A good set-up for more about Jack next week. Though there has been plenty of Jack this season, there's been little evolution of his character. In fact, Jack himself has evolved little since he has been on the island. Jack has issues with needing to fix things (be a savior) and has anger issues (extended from his inability to let some things go that he should). The anger issue is demonstrated in his revealing that HE wants to be there to kill the Others for revenge, almost overpowering his making the right decision (to let Sayid stay). But he does make the right decision. Still, how often does he make the right decision because he is a smart man who knows he should, but never really emotionally moves on and personally accepts that he should. His "fix-it" mentality is demonstrated partially by his final full embrace as the leader, and to a lesser extent his strong connection with Juliet, another struggling woman to fix--this could still be his undoing.

The parallel with Jack and Ben has never been more obvious-both leaders who can be dictatorial at times because they know they're right, but also driven by personal emotion; yet both thwarted and challenged at times by the same man (Locke). And Jack's parallel to Locke is clearer as well, as Jack's inability to let go manifests in anger, just like Locke. Though Jack's experssion of that anger is more subtle. Both Jack and Locke have a sense of self-importance and potential greatness. Locke embraces this and looks for it. Jack, on the surface, tacitly resists this, but seemingly really does embrace it as well, as demonstrated by his confidence in his decisions and fix-it mentality. Still, how has Jack evolved? He has faced new challenges, had to be smart and creative and find ways to lead, but as a person, he doesn't seem all that different than when he arrived on the island, just more battle-wary. While, at the same time, most of the other charcaters have evolved, more clearly recognizing their flaws, and starting to take steps to change (Sayid, Sawyer, Charlie). For the first time I'm wondering if Jack will make it out alive next week, as an unwillingness to change has been the downfall of more than one character.

This is my favorite Charle episode, as he has always sought redemption, sought to evolve and change, and for the first time it looks as though he truly has. His reflecting upon his 5 best memories illuminated the various dies of Charlie--his proud and self-nterested side (hearing his song for the first time, being called a hero), his strong sense of family (his dad teaching him to swim, his brother giving him the family ring), and his ture love for another woman (meeting Claire). For three seasons he has sought to fully realize all these things, and seems to finally have. Does that mean he is "done" or better prepared to be what he has now fully become--a hero?

The action and story for next week's finale look great, and the seeds have been more firmly established for an exploration of Jack. Last season's finale was my favorite episode ever, so hopefully this one can come close; but this episode was a great penultimate story.
  • Setup for the season finale.

This was a good episode of Lost. They were setting up all the Lost goodness for the season finale tomorrow night. I can't wait it's going to be awesome. Anyway this episode took us down flashbacks of Charlie. Charlie through flashbacks revealed to us his five top moments of his life. The one I really liked was when the woman called him a hero. That was such a real life ordeal right there. I mean people would really just walk right on by and not pay any attention to something like that. That was very well-written by the writers. I am hoping that Charlie does live through his ordeal under the sea. There is so much more they can do with Charlie and his ever developing relationship with Claire. Let's just hope good ole Charlie lives :)
  • Overally, this was an incredibly emotional episode, with some very promising set up that will lead up to an explosive and jaw dropping finale. While this was very transitional, it didn't have the usual transitional feeling: making it a true masterpiece.

Most shows have trouble with the episode before the finale. Setting up the finale is usually somewhat boring, and has a very big transition feeling to it. Fortunately, the Lost writers were able to avoid this. Charlie's fate has been a big question mark this season. It's obvious that Desmond can't save him forever. Especially not, if Charlie's death would lead up to something good... e.g. the survivors getting rescued.

Charlie's sacrifice is very heroic, similiar to Desmond's sacrifice at the end of season 2. Jack finally acting as a leader is a welcome change. Him sharing every information and laying off a plan to fight the others is welcome too. The day is finally here... the others should fear of the "losties", not vica versa.

Charlie's having flashbacks, of his 5 greatest moments. Of his life. While the flashbacks aren't linked together, each shows us a new layer of Charlie's character.

Kudos to the writers, Adam Horowitz and Edward Kitsis.
  • I was hoping this'd be a good episode, but I never expected it'd be this good! I never cried at a TV show, but I came damn close here.

The episode opens up with all of the beach dwelling main characters trekking throught the jungle to find out what Jack's genious plan for saving them all is going to be. "When they show up, we're gonna blow them all to Hell!" Go on, Jack! Not the most sophisticated plan, but seems effective enough.

We are then treated to Charlie's first flashback. Ah, more about his sorry music career. Except then the second one was to do with his childhood. It wasn't until after this that I realised what Charlie was writing. It was the "Greatest Hits" of his life. What a genious way to use the flasbacks. Instead of a secondary story to the events on the island we get to see what Charlie believes were the best moments of his life. Although as soon as I realised this I knew when he met Claire would be his number one, but that didn't affect that scene's emotional impact.

This also meant that most of the episode could be spent on the island, which really helped this episode. We got dialogue from almost every character this week, and its nice to see Naomi out of bed now. One slight criticism though was her chat with Charlie. She accuses him of mocking her and he says he'd never mock a fellow Manc. To which she replies "You're from Manchester?" I was sitting there thinking, "Yes, you can tell Charlie's from Manchester due to his Mancunian accent. Whereas how he knows where you're from is nothing more than a great guess." Serioulsy, she sounds like a strange mix between Cockney(London), Central England and I suppose there's a bit of a north-western accent in there. Still, specific accents are hard to do and its only because I have relatives in Manchester that I picked up on it.

After that little rant, back to the episode. Charlie's goodbyes to the most important people to him on the island were incredible. My favourite was with Hurley. He had to insult him to prevent him from coming, but took it back and then told him he loved him. Considering Hurley knows about Charlie's impending doom you'd think he'd be a bit more worried about him, but that's just an after thought that didn't impact on the quality of that scene.

Then it was finally up to Charlie to sacrifice himself to save everyone. But wait, I'm pretty sure I can see an air pocket or something there, hah, the station's not flooded! I, like Charlie, was extatic that he was alive! Then, like him, when the two women with guns came in I thought: "Ah f***."

The flashbacks in this episode worked because we know the character so well now that we can be privy to the good in his life, without needing to see the bad. This was probably the best episode this season, and there have been some great ones. So with that, what can Jack show us about his ever exciting life next week that'll warrant him being the focus of the finale? It better be good.
  • Great episode, only let down once again by the appalling British accents in Charlie’s flashbacks.

In this episode we get a slightly different take on the flashback idea by getting a group of separate events rather than a coherent narrative. The reason for this is explained later on in Charlie’s writing a list of the best moments of his life. Convinced that he is finally going to die and fulfil the visions that Desmond sees of his death, he volunteers for an apparent suicide mission to switch off the signal jamming ability of the offshore “Looking Glass” station. The existence of this station finally ties up the cable on the beach found by Sayid in season one.

Couple that to a increased urgency in the planned ambush of the others and mini-flashback to Ben returning from his visit to Jacob and you get a very fast moving and enjoyable episode. I think we’re starting to see some real rumbles of dissent among the “Others” and Ben seems to be reaching the tipping point from leader to dictator, but for now he is still in command and sends his men off to capture the women and (probably) kill the men! Of course, being Lost, we don’t get to see the battle quite yet, but it bodes very well for next week’s episode.

My one main criticism of the episode, as always with Charlie-centric flashbacks, is that the British accents are appalling! Speaking as a English person, and a Northerner at that, I have to say that the makers completely destroyed the pathos and intensity of (nearly) every flashback scene of Charlie’s with terribly distracting incorrect accents. As an analogy, imagine watching the Sopranos and a character was introduced who was supposed to be from Brooklyn or New Jersey, and who spoke like someone from Texas or Louisiana. It ruins the ability of the show to create a believable fictional world, because you are constantly reminded that these people are actors (who need some better vocal coaching)! Special mention should be to Charlie’s dad (assumed) who seemed to veer between Manchester, London and Shrek for his accent inspiration! Anyway, rant over – a very well paced episode and a great setup for the finale.
  • Charlies greatest hits

WOW im mean it when i say that iv never cried so much in my life. I love charlie to bits he is my favorate character on lost and i was convinced that he was going to die. Jack has come up with a plan to do away with the others once and for all and it involves a lot of dynamit. And insteaded of telling people this plan he decideds to show them by blowing up a tree. (great way to keep then plan a secret dont you think?) well the planning is pointless when after ben returens from his visit to jacobs (alone.) and tells the others to move the plan to today a whole day before they are expected. But they are warned by karl who has found a great new hidding place just 20 meters from the others camp. Sayid has other plans while jack plans his war he is trying to find a way to use niomies
    phone to get them off the island. But julliet tells them that there signal is being scrambled by the others using the underwater statation the looking glass which cant be stoped because the station is flooded. while this is happening charlie makes a list of his top 5 greatest moments his greatest hits. Which include when he first hered his song on the radio. when he went swimming with his dad. the christmas his brother gave him his ring and when he save a women from a mugger and she called him a hero (did i mention that the women was nadia the women who sayid loves) Charlie is told by desmond that he has once again forseen chalies death and that this time he has to die. because that is the only way that claire and aaron will be rescued. charlie agrees. and desmond tells him that he will die from drowneding after he flicks a switch. and they realise that charlie must be the one to go down into the flooded looking glass station to stop the others scramble signal. Charlie says his goodbyes to claire and aaron and passes on his driveshaft ring to him. but dose not tell anyone that he will not be returning. As the rest of the camp set out to the radio tower charlie and desomond take alexs makeshift boat and follow the wirer to the station. While harlie adds one last thing to his list the first time that he met claire. As charlie. he gives his list to desmond who he tells to give it to claire. desmond begins to regreat tellingcharlie who cant swim that he must sacrafic him self and agrees to go instead telling charlie that maby he is ment to be the one who dies not charlie. but charlie knows that that is not true and that is him that must sacrafic him self for the good of the whole group. and while desmond is not looking charlie hits him with a oar and dives in himself. But to hims suprise he survives the dive and make his way into the non flooded hatch. but for how long he has little time to get over the shock of being alive when 2 women run out with guns. I loved this episode and i think that it is one of my all time favorates. It was so sad and i was really convinced that charlie was going to die which would have been the worst thing ever. 10/10.
  • What is your next hit Charlie?

Great breath taking episode leaving me knowing that next week will be exactly what I've learned to expect from the writers of Lost; completely left in awe because surprises are going to be thrown in that I did not expect. Someone will probably die and break my heart and I will be left with even more questions to ponder on till next season. Charlie's greatest hit's was such a great touch being the type of person he is. I do not want to believe he is going to die but that is all we have heard this season. I feel kind of brainwashed about it. But I still have faith the writers once again are playing with our minds, as they seem to do in this show. "Lost" is a great name for it.
  • Charlie is a hero...

A great episode which has set a great tone for the finale. I think most expected Charlies fate to be decided for definate in this episode. Now that it hasn't, what will his fate be with 2 women appearing in what is seen as an unused hatch?
    I love how Jack said that "were gonna blow em all to hell", it came off really good. Good to see Karl back in the mix, and now we know he will be alligning himself with the Losties. I cant help but think, he will talk to Danielle in the finale and will realise shes her mum. I hate to say it becuase i love the character, but im saying that Bernard will die in the finale. It it set up pefect for a couple of "deaths" to big characters in Lost for the finale. The question is...who???
  • I knew it!!!!!

I know it I know it I knew it!!! I knew they weren't going to kill Charlie off in this episode. Now, I'm not saying they wont kill him at all. I just knew it wouldn't be this week. That would be too obvious. Evangeline Lilly saying she doesn't know if Dominic is coming back neck year, making this episode a Charlie flashback episode, calling it "greatest hits" because we all know what happens right before a band releases a greatest hits album, etc. It was too freaking obvious. And except for Boone, all the main character deaths on this show have really surprised me. I mean, totally blown me away. So I doubted that they would do something that obvious. Maybe he'll die next week, maybe he wont. Heck, maybe Hurley or Sayid will die next week. With this show, nobody knows, and it's anyone's guess. That's what keep us all watching. It's sure what keeps me watching.
  • KEEP IT LIKE THIS!!! CHANGE NOTHING CAUSE IN MY OPIONION LOST IS BACK! THIS EPISODE STANDS OUT MORE FROM ANY OTHER THIS SEASON!

and the simple reason this episode stands out more than any other is because for once this season, every character was truly a part of the episode, sure sawyer and kate could of had a few more lines but for me, it was like watching season 1 again, with the excitment and the interesting story of season 3 added, and the character interaction of season 2. in my opinion, this episode has set up for the best finale of the show, and it looks like its going to be a mixture of exodus, live together die alone, and of course, something new which will come up in the episode. now that this episode shows me that all the characters can be included and still have a strong story, why hasnt every episode this season? i can understand the odd episode now and then but this season it has been so many episodes where not everyone has been included, but i hope it will be sorted out next season. this ep is down as my favourite this season. it had good flashbacks, a brilliant story and a great cliffhanger to leave us with before the finale. the writers have to keep the show like this now though, include everyone in each episode, progress there story, cant wait for next ep...
  • Great episode, good setup for the season finale. (Contains Spoilers)

Wow so much to cover, 1st off what about them ending LOST in 2010. That's crazy but I guess it will make the rest of the episodes a little more interesting. I'm sure if somehow if they think of stuff and it's still huge they probably will change but for now I think it's OK even though I will be pissed when it's done. Watch the special After Grey's Anatomy on Lost it looks like it's going to be good. I'm done with the commercials time to talk about the show. Charlie going to get killed by those chicks. Are those the chicks he was having a 3 some with earlier? By the way (way to go Charlie) I would try to get one with Claire & Kate but hey. I also was wondering about the DS ring, in the flash back Liam gave it to Charlie because he didn't think he was going to live to 30 and that he thought Charlie was going to have a family and to keep it going since it was a family heir loom. In a flash back a while back they showed him leaving for the flight and Liam was their with his wife and kid, so why didn't charlie give Liam the ring back before he left. Did I miss something? It was cool Charlie knocked out Desmond so he could go, but I hope he didn't kill him (ha) kind of defeats the purpose. He had to go because of the vision, maybe he won't get to press the button and that is why they won't be saved. It was kind of a funny goodbye with Hurley, and he really doesn't say that much too Claire suprisingly.

The main group, I'm still not sure that Juliette & maybe even Jack are going to screw over the rest of the group during this ambush. I can't wait to see this little battle it will be quite interesting, maybe we will see little bits of other flying all over the place. It will be interesting to see if any of the group will not make it to the next season either. I have a feeling with the 2010 announcement people might start dying more often. We know something is going to prevent their rescue if the show is going to be on for that long. Russeau is kind of like the professor from Gilligan's Island, she can make bombs and traps but can't get off of the island. I wonder if she has even wondered if Alex is going to be on the mission, one of her traps could hurt or kill her. The special tonight after Grey's Anatomy should be good, I'm sure they will give teasers about next week which is of course the end of season 3, I wonder if they will give away any hints.
  • Best Episode of Season three....Charlie's fate and life is tested and revealed.

We've all known Charlie to be the hard core type guy, black outfits, depressed life, drugged up inside....until he met her. It's the reason for his story, It's his reason for being on this island. Charlie is suppose to be with Claire. We've been seeing everyones past trying to see who they are, how they became this person, what will there future bring them from not makeing the same mistakes from the past. This season's phrase when it first began was, "We've seen who they are, now this season they will choose who to become."
    Charlie swims down below, and survives! But also discovers more than he thought he would. Jack has a plan, to kill the others and to bring everyone off the island. but fate may turn for him in the upcoming episode. The Season Finale is just around the corner, and we soon will find out the real truth and fate to all of the islanders...
  • Brill once again. Can't wait for finale.

What an episode. Very very good, one of the best in my opnion! Only i think it should have ended when charlie jumped in the water but still that isn't that bad! Charlie is one of my fave characters so thats why i liked this episode. Loved when he hit desmond!! Really set it up for the finale thisd episode did, i can;t wait!!
  • With the preperations of the impending war with the others occuring,Charlie finds out from desmond that he must die to save everyone,leading them to be rescued.With a dive into Charlies "Greatest" moments,You will wonder, will there be more?

I personally feel as though this was Charlies best episode. It truly showed off his better side, and showed that he is truly a good person. The flashbacks showed that he is able to overcome any obstacle with a little bit of insentive, i.e swimming, and rescuing Nadia. The most touching part of the episode was when he gave the ring to Aaron.
    The self sacrifice that he showed allowed me to change my opinion on him dying. I truly hope that he lives so that he can go back to Claire and have a family.
  • Hopefully this is not Charlie's greatest hits.

I was not looking forward to the end of this episode to see Charlie die. And the good thing, I wasn't dissappointed. Eventhough I thought he should of been quieter when he did arrive at the Looking Glass. I will be very upset if he dies on this show, he is an interesting character, and he deserves some happiness with Claire too. It's nice to see the 'Others' get there's this time. It is time for the good side to win abit and have the element of surprise. I just hope the 'survivors' don't have any casulties that will be upsetting. Ben is still crazy, but I love his character.
  • Wow... fantastic episode.

Flashbacks: These were so touching to watch, because they highlight the greatest parts of Charlie's life; his most fond memories. Charlie writes these down on a piece of paper that, at the end of the episode, we find is being written for Claire.

On-Island: Things really start happening when Karl comes in and reveals that the Others' arrival is imminent. This throws off Jack's plan, and forces them to improvise. Sayid has plans of his own as he wants to have someone travel to The Looking Glass Station, Charlie volunteers. Also, Jack leads a trek up to the radio tower to turn off Rousseau's signal (so they can contact Naomi's team when Charlie stops the "jamming" from occuring). Sayid, Bernard (who would've guessed), and Jin stay behind to "take care" of the Others. Finally, Charlie ventures into The Looking Glass Station (I really didn't think he was going to make it when he was underwater, great suspense) but he makes it there ok. He catches his breath, when we see two strange people (Others? Dharma? Something else?) come out with guns. Conclusion: This episode was touching, exciting, moving, and entertaining all-in-one. Fantastic episode.

Jack: When they come... we're gonna blow 'em all to hell.
< 1 2 3 4