Lost

Greatest Hits

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM May 16, 2007 on ABC

• If an episode makes you tear up, and not because of how horrible it was, you know it deserves a 10.

What an episode. I would've never thoguht that I'd end up giving a Charlie episode that is actually a SETUP episode a 10. But I did.

This episode is the saddest episode of the show so far. Charlie's told his newest "death scene" by Desmond. Only thing is, this time... he has to die. If he does, Claire and the baby's rescued by a helicopter.

Which leads Charlie to prepare his Greatest Hits.His greatest 5 moments of his life. And we get to see these through the flashback.

What a tearjerker. I think during moment 4 it was the first time I got teary eyed. And it was all a downhill from there. I was almost literally crying at the end of the episode.

What was so great about these moments is that they were all realistic. It wasn't like... my greatest moment of life is when I invented the nuclear bomb. The other greatest moment is when I saved the USA. No. Charlie's moments are all easy to relate to.

Besides this, the episode was a huge set up to the war of the others. Amazing stuff, but it was Charlie's storyline that made the episode.

The saddest sequence of scenes of the show ever, and, possibly, of TV ever, for me, has to be the scene where Desmond and Charlie arrive to the hatch where Charlie has to swim down to and push a button that disables the radio jammer so that Naomi can contact his people. Desmond offering his will to swim down instead of charlie was an indication of true friendship. But no. Charlie knows what he has to do, and knocks out Desmond. His swim to the bottom was incredible. His shoes came off, which is great symbolism which takes me back to the pilot. And, what a tearjerker once again.

But guess what. The station isn't flooded. Charlie lives? No.... 2 armed others rush out and hold him at gun point. Oh snap.

Surely, I was ready for him to die. So the ending was a bit "disappointing".... not. It was a great ending, and I think the majority was aware that this means nothing. THe station can still be flooded, and Charlie will still have to die. But the fact that we accepted his death will ensure that his exit will be HEROIC. Overall, I'm blown away by the amazingness of this episode. A true character driven masterpiece.