Lost

Hearts and Minds

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Jan 12, 2005 on ABC

This episode is full of excitement but contains subpar flashbacks.
  • One of the Best episodes of this Season, however, it can be misunderstood by some people.

This episode is Boone/Shannon centric, but with locke participation, could have been even a Locke centric too.

In 40 minutes, you have what i and my buddies call - Key Moments - can be funny moments, surprises, shocking moments, twists or cliffhangers, it doesn´t matter, in 40 minutes, only a few minutes (maybe 3 to 5 minutes), make a episode worth watching. It is what make the diference. The Rest is only details, that are necessary to understand a story.

However, in this episode, they produced a minimum of 20 Key Moments. We have some funny moments with Hugo and Jin, Kate discovers Sun Secrets, we see how charlie is feeling, we see boone take a unique experience with twists and some suspense (and "that" thing, they call a monster), and the flashbacks had some Key Moments too, as usuals.

The dialogues between the characters in this episode was very well done too.

It is like nothing was left to be done in this episode. However, the finals scenes of Boone/shannon flashbacks, produced some controversy, even when you know what happened to boone in the island, you can be disappointed. However, I liked almost moment of this episode. One thing is sure, this episode entertains enough, with high quality Scenes.
  • Awesome.

Shannon's relationship with Sayid gets more personal. Locke and Boone try to get into the hatch they found. Boone wants to tell Shannon about the hatch and Locke gives him a drug that causes him to hallucinate and let go of Shannon. In flashbacks, Boone tries to get rid of Shannon's abusive boyfriend by paying him off, only to find out that it was all a scam perpetrated by Shannon, who proceeds to sleep with Boone. Wow - this episode is just wow. I mean this episode was/is awesome! I loved every minute of it. Locke and Boone are amazing. I love Boon and Shannons back stpry and the "story" in this episode. I just love Boone. I love Jack and Hurleys scene. Sun has made a garden. Kate finds out that Sun speaks English. I love Jin and Hurley in this episode so funny. I also love the Jack and Charlie scene too.
  • A solid episode...

When Locke learns that Boone wants to share their "secret" with Shannon, Locke decides to teach him a lesson. This leads to Shannon's life being placed in what seems like peril. Boone and Shannon's dark past is revealed in a shocking backstory that recalls their relationship right before the plane crash and presages the return of the beast. Kate, who has become a confidante to the soft-spoken Sun, is puzzled by Sun's mysterious behavior and the revelation that she can speak English. A hungry Hurley must convince Jin to share his fish by making up for offending Jin by rejecting his offer of raw fish early on, or he'll continue to suffer digestive problems from the limited island diet. Hearts and minds is a solid episode of Lost, it was bound to be after the dissapointment of the last episode. We learn more about Boone and Shannon its intresting but still kind of predictable backstory with no real importance to the series. The Boone and Locke story was finally developed more the scene between Boone and Locke were the best, I loved the final scene where they had a arguement but soon went back to the Hatch. This was a entertaining episode even if it developed only small parts of the the hatch story and the monsters scenes where great but looking back they didnt mean anything because it was just an allusion.
  • Give Me Sweet, Sweet Hallucinations

Boone gets beaten up and tied up by Locke –a fact, and a surprising one providing they 've been BFF since the Hatch discovery– and then hunted by the Monster and witnesses Shannon's death –a hallucination created by the Island. Still, pretty awesome. -

Although I was never a big fan of Boone or a fan of the actor portraying him, I must admit that his was one of my favorie episodes of the season. However, it wasn't appreciated by some mainly because Shannon's death was revealed to be a hallucination in the end. Still, the scenes involving Boone and Shannon being chased by the Monster where superb, wheras the flashbacks were also excellent and full of twists and turns. The episode ended with a gripping cliffhanger that had me asking for more.
  • A little betetr, but this is one heart that needs to know its mind

Despite Jack's warning: 'live together, die alone, it's becoming increasingly clear that the castaways are beginning to fragment. Jack, Kate, and Sun seem to be involved in the concept of survival and escape, with Sayid and Michael nominally on their side. On the other side or Locke, Charlie, Walt and now apparently Boone who are more interested in trying to figure out the mysteries of the island. Locke seems to be aware of this; when Boone tries to tell Sayid to stay away from Shannon, he says that "they're going to want to have him on their side". He doesn't mean the caves, which is the only split we've seen so far (and which he and Boone elected to be a part of) he means something far deeper. This becomes a lot clearer in 'Hearts and Minds'

It's been a week since Locke and Boone began excavating what they refer to the first time as 'the hatch'. Unearthing it seems to be only part of what Locke has in mind, it's clear that he believes the island is testing him somehow, and this test seems to presume that he can take whatever actions he wants. He has to know at some point this discovery has to be share with his fellow castaways, but is instead going to all efforts to make sure as few people as possible know. He's been lying to the others saying their hunting boars, but since they're not coming back with any, Hurley, Jack and Shannon are becoming suspicious. Furthermore, he's not even trying to coordinate his stories: when both Syed and Jack ask where Boone is, he tells conflicting stories that he has to know will come back to bite him. Eventually, his lies do catch up to him, and the results are fatal--- just not to him. This episode is a trademark example. Just as he did when he put Charlie through hell to kick his heroin addiction, he puts Boone through a painful and excruciating experience--- knocking him out, tying him up, and applying what we eventually learn is some kind of hallucinogenic substance to his head in order to help bring Boone to an epiphany. Not surprisingly, it involves Shannon. The two of them have been disagreeing since they got here, and its clear that their problems clearly predate this. In fact, that's the whole reason Boone was in Australia to begin with: to get Shannon out of trouble. The situation that unfolds is so convoluted we're not sure who was trying to play who, but Boone was bailing his stepsister (as we learn for the first time their true relationship) out of another jam. However, as messy as this was, it's clear their relationship was even more complicated. It's not clear whether they had been having sex before what happened in Sydney, but Boone's been carrying a torch for her for some time. For one thing, his girlfriend is almost exactly identical to Shannon. For another, he is far angrier at Syed for pursuing Shannon on the island then the situation deserves. Yet in his heart, he knows that his obsession with Shannon is unhealthy. Granted, it takes her (fake) death for him to realize this, but Boone is probably better off getting her out of his heart.

Life is going on, though like in the previous episode, it seems really odd that everyone's not only given up looking for Claire, but doesn't seem concerned about the possibilities that there are other, unfriendly people on this island. For that matter, a lot of people seem a lot out of characters with how things were last episode. Jack and Kate are acting friendly again, even though he was practically at her throat in the last episode, and Charlie seems a lot more normal considering everything's that happened to him. Furthermore, no one seems to be considering the unbelievable. When Syed finds out that the compass Locke has given him is not working properly, he and Jack write it off as simply being defective rather than attributing it to the island. As it turns out, there's an excellent reason the compass isn't working, but we won't find out why until next year.

In the meantime, everybody's trying to contribute to something like surviving. Jin has been continuing catching fish for the islanders, and has been gradually appearing more and more human. The scene between him and Hurley is the funniest between them, but it is clear that Jin is making more of an effort to try and help. When he gives Hurley a fish, it's the first real nice things that he's done since we've met him. However, he won't become truly sympathetic for a little while longer.

Sun, in the meantime is continuing her effort to plant a garden, this time trying to grow fruit. As Kate helps her with it, she realizes the secret that she has been keeping, and we also learn that she's not doing it because she's afraid of him, she's afraid that it will hurt him. She is still in love with her husbands, despite everything she thinks that he has done.

'Hearts and Minds' is a step forward compared with the last episode, but it does still seem that we aren't making much progress. It is never entirely clear how this experience that Boone went through was supposed to help him survive the island, nor did it help them get any further with their problems. We still seem to be running in place, and the character development doesn't seem quite up to what we have seen before (particularly as Shannon comes across as being even less sympathetic, if such a thing were possible).However, things are about to get started again, in directions we didn't expect.
  • ´Cause she´s my sister

Nada, nada podrá hacerme perder lo que siento por vos. Diga lo que diga, haga lo que haga, sufras lo que te haga sufrir nada ni nadie podrá cambiar el amor que siento por vos. Me crees? No importa. Qué importa si esto que escribo está empapado de alma brillante y transparente... Qué importa si en este momento lloro cataratas de almohadas llenas de peces de colores que tanto te gustaban cuando eras chica?
    Te extraño, dónde estás? Tanto te cuesta contestarme apenas eso? Sabés que me arrepiento de lo de aquella vez... no era yo.
    Te amo, lo sabés y nada podrá cambiarlo, cueste lo que cueste, hermanita.
  • We get to learn abit more about the brother and sister act of Boone and Shannon, what is the story with that pair, and we also get a little bit more info as we find that Sun and Kate are planting a herb garden.

Boone is watching his sister Shannon closely and gives Sayid a friendly warning to stay away from Shannon. A flashback from Bonne has him answering his phone with Shannon hysterical on the other end, he promises to come get her, she's in Sydney Australia.

Hurley asks Bonne where they are going, as the boar doesn't seem to be there, Bonne tells all of this to Locke over there day of staring at the metal, which now has a small glass window in it, no handle or catch on the outside, he is whimpering all day about they should tell someone. The result is that Lock bumps him on the head and then ties him up and leaves him in the jungle.

We get a flashback with Boone flying to Australia, talking to the cops and trying to get them to do something about Shannon's violent boyfriend, as it is explained they can not do anything as she has not complained herself and there is no evidence. So he pays him off but then later comes to understand that its a ploy from Shannon to get money each time.

Bonne escapes from the bonds in order to rescue Shannon, they escape what appears to be one of the shadow/invisable creatures. But laster on as they are trying to get out of the jungle, Shannon gets grabbed by one of the things and Bonne has a flashback to just after shannon left her boyfriend,it turns out that Shannon and Bonne are just step brother sister, but they made out before leaving. The monster discards the body in a stream, lifeless.

Locke runs into Sayid in the jungle, who is trying to make a compass and try to make sense of Rosseux maps, but discovers that the compass that Locke has given him does not point to the North, so it is obviously broken or there is a strong magnetic interference.

HUrley and Jin do some bonding over fishing, although the language barrier is there, it is quite sweet that Jin will not urinate on Hurley's urchin spiked foot, but manages to cure it using other methods, the result is that Hurley gets an unexpected gutted fish for his time and patience from Jin.

Bonne gets back to the beach camp, ready to pounce and attacks Locke for causing the death of his sister, Locke defends himself and asks what happened in the jungle, pointing out that Shannon is safe and hasn't left the beach. Bonne asks if that stuff on his head had caused him to see things, they venture off back into the jungle for some reason.
  • A Boone-centric episode.

First off, I just want to start out my review by saying that as a whole I really liked this episode an awful lot because I really like the character Boone. I think that he is a very well written and very well acted character by Ian Somerhalder who plays the role of Boone very well, and I think that the casting directors of Lost did a great job of casting him. I really liked getting to see flashbacks of Boone's life before everyone was stranded on the island. It was really nice to learn more about Boone, and it was great to learn more about his relationship with Shannon. In closing, I thought that this was a very well written, well acted and well made episode of Lost, and I really hope that there are more Boone-centric episodes in the future.
  • Hurley: You want to wish something on your worst enemy? Hope they step on a sea urchin.

Shannon's relationship with Sayid gets more personal. Locke and Boone try to get into the hatch they found. Boone wants to tell Shannon about the hatch and Locke gives him a drug that causes him to hallucinate and let go of Shannon. In flashbacks, Boone tries to get rid of Shannon's abusive boyfriend by paying him off, only to find out that it was all a scam perpetrated by Shannon, who proceeds to sleep with Boone. I really like this episode and I always fimd it sad that Boone only got one, because at the time he was one of my favourite characters. 9.4.
  • Excellent episode, should've replaced Whatever the case may be.

This episode gets back on track after the one episode slump. The focus is back on "important" things, such as the discovery Boone and Locke made.

If you weren't certain about what it is before, now you are. It's a hatch, with no handle on the outside to open it.

The episode is Boone/Shannon centric, but with a few modifications it could've been a Locke episode.

This also marks the start of the Boone/Locke relationship which is very interesting. Locke is kind of a father figure to Boone on the island. Boone fully trusts him, and in my opinion admires him, and this, for Locke, is probably worth more than anything, because he finally has someone who cares about him.

We learn about Boone's almost unhealthy addiction to Shannon. They're not blood related, but they've been together since their childhood.

It was interesting to learn that they were on seperate ways. Many people complain that it was unethical for them to have sex, but that's just a hypocrite statement in my opinion. surely, it was disturbing, but it really helped to understand the character of Boone. The island plot. Well, it was so good sometimes that I literally had my eyes glued to the screen, but other times it was like watching a Hallmark TV movie. Let's start with what I loved.

I loved the concept. Boone has an imagination in which Shannon dies, because of Locke. Then he realizes it was only a "dream" or a "mindtrip" and also admits that at the moment Shannon died he felt relief, because he was freed from his addiction. This sounds as if he's glad that she died, but no, of course not - but Boone is definitely better off WITHOUT Shannon. The question is now, is he better off with hanging out with Locke? I loved the whole mindtrip. It was really done, and I just couldn't see the ending coming. Most people are surprised by twists like this "So it was all a dream" but then they start hating the whole thing "I wasted 40 minutes of my life!" Most cases, that's true. Not here - you watched 40 minutes of pure character development.

Now what I hated?

Well this almost ruined it for me. Why did Locke have to do ANYTHING with Boone?!?! He put a mysterious chemical whatever on Boone's head that made him high or whatever. No, no, no. Carlton, what were you thinking? It should've been "automatic" - the island makes people see, experience things. It should've been done by the island, not manually by Locke. It just felt poor.

Now, the other thing. The monster. I understand that tensions must be kept high, but this was really uncalled for. Boone doesn't know how the monster works or looks like, so why did he imagine it? We once again had one of those cheap shots where the hero is running away, looks back, but we never actually see what he's running away from.

Don't know, it just felt poor, once again. Probably a fault by the director rather than the writers.

But overall, it was a very strong episode, with amazing Locke/Boone/Shannon scenes. If it wasn't for the cheap tricks, it could be one of the strongest ones up to this point.
  • The Monster returns! But fails to ignite this episode, which had so much promise.

5.2
    After the murky previous episode, which saw a major continuity misstep, I was hopeful that this episode would return to the quality we have come to expect. On the surface this episode had alot of promise, especially considering that we get to re-visit the mysterious object that Boone and Locke first discovered in the seminal, All the Best Cowboys have Daddy Issues, but unfortunately that promise is not carried out to its full potential. It is better than Whatever the Case May Be, for sure, but not much.
    We get more mystery in this episode, not that I mind not having little mystery in an episode, providing the character story is engrossing enough, for example, Do No Harm, later this season. Yes, we revisit the Hatch, but only briefly. After the first half, it goes off on a tangent, and is about some life-altering (or so Locke says) drug and Boone and Shannon's disturbing relationship.
    The potential of this episode outweighs the outcome, but I see the potential of the episode, which helps me withstand this episode enough. It's sometimes hard to pinpoint exactly what I don't like about this episode. Alot of the reason may have to do with the characters, Boone and Shannon. Boone is okay, and he is the main focus of the episode, thankfully. Shannon is annoying and the two of them together is frustrating to watch. I didn't enjoy their flashback story, possibly the worst set of flashbacks of Season 1. Again, despite revisiting some mysteries like The Hatch and The Monster, the more recent Claire abduction plotline is sacrificed. It's clear that the writers were waiting patiently for Claire's return, assuming the audience would believe that would happen, of course, but it still seems that the survivors aren't merely as concerned with recent events as they should be. It's funny how redundant it is, considering what we know is really going on, but when Shannon questions Boone about them finding Ethan's trail, he replies, "Well at least I am doing something", which could be interpreted as not only a dig to Shannon but to the rest of the camp. It is a shame that he isn't doing anything that is related to Claire's abduction, because his statement would have been more relevant and resonated much better. The scenes with Locke and Boone are entertaining and are a good introduction to their misadventures in Deus Ex Machina, which, incidentally, rips this episode to shreds, with no help from the Monster. Talking of which, the unseen mechanical force returns, which was a nice bonus, and was one part of the plot that kept me awake. It is a shame we don't see more of it but careful viewers will get a big clue when it appears when Boone and Shannon are arguing about the Hatch. What is more annoying is that the Monster was all part of a hallucination, thanks to Locke's drug. It brings up the question as to whether the events on the island are all drug-related. Judging by the character's actions in this and the last episode, this theory makes sense. The survivors are all under the haze of a drug, which seems to be blocking their sense of danger on the island. They're all chilling in the wake of a terrorist attack of sorts.
    Despite the lack of quality in the episode overall, there are several nice character moments, notably Hurley and Jin fishing and Hurley's plea to Jin to pee on his foot, which has been infected by a Sea Urchin and the first pre-island character connection between Boone and Sawyer.
    These moments all add to the potential of the episode, but it is spoiled by a slightly inconsistent narrative continuity, some muddled momentum, boring flashbacks and a focus on two characters that do little to light up my TV screen.
  • Amazing! Who would've thought it?

Boone has flashbacks of when Shannon conned him into giving him and her boyfriend money. It is revealed that they are step-siblings and not blood related. She pretended that she was being physically abused in order to get the money. After Bryan, the boyfriend, takes the money and leaves, they admit their feelings for each other and kiss.

On the island, Locke and Boone try to figure out how to open the latch. Hurley needs protein and must approache Jin to get fish, but Hurley thinks that Jin hates him for some reason. Kate and Sun have a garden, where Kate finds out that Sun speaks English. Sayid finds out that Locke's compass may be defective. After Boone wants to tell Shannon about the hatch, Locke knocks him out, ties him up, and puts some weird stuff on Boone's head.

Boone hears Shannon scream, which motivates him to escape. He saves Shannon from the mysterious monster and they get away. Then, when all is safe, the monster returns and kills Shannon. Boone feels relieved.

It turns out that it was all in his head. Locke's paste drugged him. Locke had taught him to let go of his feelings and memories of Shannon.

This episode was great, but Boone and Shannon having a romantic relationship? Gross! Even if they are only step-siblings, that's just wrong. Locke is so lukewarm to me. I think he's a good guy though. I give this episode a 10 out of 10!
  • Boone and Shannon??

Was it just me or was anybody else grossed out about the fact that Shannon and Boone slept together. I know they are not blood related but it is still gross to me. I thought this episode was very distasteful. I was following the episode up until that point. It kind of grossed me out. I thought Locke was a good guy until he knocks out Boone. That was not expected. I really don't like Shannon so I would have rather seen her get killed off in this episode. Unfortunately that didn't happen. Maybe she will die later. As it turns out Lock in not a bad guy after all, he just wanted Boone to let go of his feelings for Shannon.
  • Shannon dies (in a dream)

Boone questions the benefit of his time spent at the hatch. Locke forces Boone to examine his love for Shannon. The other survivors question their trust of Locke. Boone's unscheduled trip to Australia is shown through flashbacks. Hurley and Jin spend the day fishing, and when Hurley fails to catch anything, and is injured in the attempt, Jin gives him a fish out of sympathy.
    This was a good episode and i enjoyed watching shannon die but I was gutted when she was still alive.

• Shannon dies (in a dream)

Kate discovers that Sun speaks English when the two are working in the garden, and Sun asks her not to tell anyone. Sun took English lessons in Korea, but doesn't want Jin to know. Locke finds Sayid trying to make sense of Rousseau's maps, and gives him a compass. Boone runs through the jungle, and locates Shannon tied head to toe to a tree. She screams for Boone, telling him to untie her. This he does, and they run through the jungle together, away from the monster.
  • Shannon dies (in a dream)

• Locke: "Right now, this is our priority!" Awesome episode all about Shannon, Boone and more on the hatch!

Unlike the previous episode: 'Whatever the case may be' which was no where near as good as the others, this one showed a lot more than I bargained.
    It started off in an extreme close up of Boone staring at Shannon and Sayid who seem to be forming a relationship and he is jelous! He clearly warned Sayid to stay away from his step sister, Sayid's reaction is somewhat different that what he expected, just then Locke appears calling Boone so they're off on their hunt. Locke gives a brief opinion on Sayid & Shannon being together then the HAtch is shown, "Right now, this is our priority".... Just then I knew this one was going to be great! We get a few answers.

It continues on with Hugo approaching Jack about some stamach problems related to an unhealthy diet, it was funny. Boone's first flashback was shown, Shannon appeared to be in some kind of trouble with an Australian bloke, so Boone flew there himself.
    Back on the island, Locke and Boone sit next to the hatch just staring at it, Locke begins with a story about Michaelangalo, revealing. The question is now related to How will they open this hatch and if they do, what is down inside? We are taken through more flashbacks of Boone approaching Shannon's boyfriend over at his place, Shannon's reaction to Boone arriving are not what he was expecting. Obviously this guy has threatened her to stay put. Boone visits the Police and funny enough Sawyer is shown as an example of criminal, so Boone cannot do anything because Brian has not assaulted Shannon. Boone offers $50,000 US dollars to Brian to dump Shannon and take her home. He accept.

On the island, Boone decides to tell Shannon about the hatch to get it off his plate, Locke knocks him out and Boone must go through hell in order to save his sister. It was a massive blast, Boone and Shannon were chased by the monster (pillar of black smoke) and this resulted in Shannon's death. Boone confronted Locke back at the caves, Locke told Boone that he was taken through a life changing experience that wasn't even real but it could become real if Boone kept hanging on to Shannon. Boone and Locke leave into the jungle, while Sayid and Shannon continue with their life together. Another secret was revealed, Kate discovered that Sun could speak English. Boone's flashback ended with Shannon and himself bonding together and leaving for the USA. Overall, it was a superb episode that provided some answers...
  • "I felt...I felt...I felt relieved. I felt relieved."

It’s a major revelation for Boone, but it doesn’t have the effect that some other character revelations have had. There’s nothing really wrong with this episode-if you watch it on its own it’s not too bad. However, the lack of forward progress in the ongoing storyline is a problem, and prevents the episode from being really satisfying.

The relationship between Boone and Shannon is explored in flashbacks for the first time, through Boone’s eyes. The fact that Shannon plays hearts and minds games isn’t a real shocker, but the true extent of them is a bit jarring. Even though it won’t be explored until next season, in Shannon’s first full flashback episode, the fact that Boone’s mom took all of Shannon’s father’s money upon his death has always been a point of irritation for Shannon. Now, she ropes Boone into paying off creeps she’s hired to play her boyfriends, and then takes the money for herself, maybe after cutting the guy a percentage. Like using Charlie to catch a fish in Walkabout, this seems to be Shannon’s way of taking care of herself, and getting the money that’s owed to her. The final flashback (it’s technically okay-they’re not blood relatives!) explains why Boone is bordering on obsessive when it comes to his sister. His warning to Sayid, and later his defense of Shannon (How is she smart and special in a lot of ways?) link directly to the final flashback.

The flashbacks tell an interesting story, and they explain a lot, but the fact is that Boone is not a terribly interesting character. Claire is more memorable than he is, and Claire’s appeared in half the episodes. It also has nothing to do with Ian Somerhalder. His acting in this episode isn’t spectacular, but the writing for Boone is nothing very special either, so even the best actor would have trouble making it work. Boone doesn’t even have any distinctive character traits, aside from being Shannon’s sister. Shannon, on the other hand, resonates much more with the audience, because there are a number of other useless rich girls in our culture. Maybe if Boone had been a better character the flashbacks would have been a bit cooler, but they end up falling rather flat. The flashback in the police station is also pretty much useless, except to ease the weirdness that occurs when Boone and Shannon express their true feelings, shall we say. It’s also pretty ridiculous that that is the only time we see Sawyer in this episode, as he’s usually a good way to lift a dragging storyline.

The end of Boone’s and Shannon’s escapade in the jungle is shocking, as for the second time in three episodes we think a main character has died. The fact that the entire main plot of the episode was a hallucination is also shocking-for the wrong reason. Boone’s character is developed, that’s good, but the fact that what everyone was invested in didn’t happen is irritating, as the plot wasn’t that enthralling in the first place (how can a monster encounter not be enthralling?). The relationship between Boone and Locke is much more interesting. Locke has officially become the island’s representative, in addition to being the resident philosopher. His unwavering determination to open the hatch looks like it’s become dangerous, but he really just wants to prevent his assistant from revealing the secret of the hatch. Why Locke wants to keep it secret is not clear, but the fact that he wants Sayid “on our side” should be enough to show that he thinks that the camp is going to be split over the discovery of the hatch. How right he’ll be.

Once again, the subplots of the episode tend to be a bit more interesting/fun. Kate helps Sun with her garden, and learns her secret. The fact that Sun has started to grow food on the island is significant, especially now that Locke has stopped hunting boar. Jin can’t catch enough fish for everyone, so there needs to be a steady supply of fruit from the jungle, or else the trees will soon be picked clean, and that would be a problem. Unfortunately, Kate is not very consistent with how we left her last episode. In the previous episode, she was distressed and upset over the toy plane she got from the Halliburton, and here she’s joking around with Sun and Jack. That in itself is a huge mistake. Jack was Kate’s judge, jury, and executioner in the last episode, but the two are as thick as thieves here, playing around with the fruit seeds without a care in the world. The only thing that reminds us of last episode is the key to the case he has around his neck. He wears this to remind Kate that he’s in charge, but you wouldn’t know it by how they act here. The good thing about the storyline is that the viewer is reminded that Sun can speak English. That will become very important in a couple of episodes.

In contrast, we’re reminded that Jin speaks no English, in an absolutely hilarious mini-adventure. We thought that Hurley and Charlie were funny together, but Hurley and Jin is a comic dream team. Jorge and Daniel are delightful here, especially when Hurley steps on the urchin. The wide shot of Hurley putting his full weight on Jin, causing Jin to fall down in the ocean is genius, and then Hurley gesticulating madly at Jin’s crotch and then pointing at his foot is even funnier. It’s a shame that this lighter side to Jin won’t be seen again for quite a while, but it will be even more rewarding when it is.

This episode is better than its predecessor, but still fails to capture the intensity of some of the earlier ones this year. The good news is that that intensity will return in the next couple of episodes. The bad news is, this episode is still what it is, despite what happens after.
  • We finally get to see Boone and Shannon's background.

Yet another great installment of LOST. This episode starts with Locke tying up Boone when Boone reveals to Locke that he wants to tell Shannon about the hatch. Locke told Boone that if he got the proper motivation, then he would be able to do anything. Watching Boone struggle was great, especially after how snooty he appeared in previous episodes. The Kate/Sun chemistry is amazing. I was pleased with how well two very different characters got along. The Hurley and Jin chemistry was hilarious, and the actors play very well off of each other. The reason this episode doesn't get a 10 is simply because of the Shannon/Boone relationship, I seriously vomited after watching them kiss. They don't have ANY chemistry.
  • ...

A great episode, really interessting and intense with a great and entertaining cast with an amazing amount of suspense and energy put into the show!A great episode, really interessting and intense with a great and entertaining cast with an amazing amount of suspense and energy put into the show!A great episode, really interessting and intense with a great and entertaining cast with an amazing amount of suspense and energy put into the show!A great episode, really interessting and intense with a great and entertaining cast with an amazing amount of suspense and energy put into the show! A Must See Show!
  • Review

I thought Locke trying to protect the secret from Boone was a little out there and I think I have to go and watch the episode again to see what really happened. I think Boone was dreaming most / all of it, but it seems clear that more may meet the eye when it comes to John Lockes character. The new relationship between Sayid and Shannon sort of came out of left field. Everyone assumed that the first relationship on the island might be between Jack and Kate, but the charcaters of Shannon and Sayid have a very interesting on screen connection and I think her choice of spending time with Sayid can be seen in her interesting background story that was shown in this episode. I thought the flashback of Shannon and Boone had a lot of information in it and I thought the writers did a good job there. The scenes between Kate and Sun were nothing special, other then the fact that Kate learned that Sun speaks english. I thought that scene between the two of them was pretty good, but other then that it seemed a little filler to me when they were on camera together.
  • A really cool episode...

This episode is a Boone Centric episode. It is a episode which starts to reveal more about the islands mysterious ways.

In this episode boone tells locke that he want's to tell shannon about the hatch hey found, so locke knocks him out and puts this mixture on boone that makes him imagine an event which he thought was really going on. In this hallucianation of boone it shows shannon and him being chased by the "Monstor" after locke tied them both up, and as they think they have escaped, the "Monstor" pops up from nowhere and gets Shannon. After Boon holds shannon in his arms he races back to the caves to get back at Locke for killing shannon, but locke tells him that shannon is alive and ponts at her. He then tells boone that the stuff he put on the back of his head made the island show him something. Then locke asks how it made Boone feel, he said relieved.

In Boones Flashbak it shows boone taking care of shannon after all the trouble she get's into in Australia, it also reveals that they are step brothers and sisters not blood related and that Boone is actually in love with Shannon.

Overall another good episode, despite the Flashback being a little weak.
  • Great episode.

When Boone gets forced by Shannon to share his secret with Locke, Boone caves into her persuasions and tells her something about it. Locke is left with no choice but to take drastic measures into making Boone realize the gravity of his incompetence. This episode focuses on Boone and Shannon, we learn what they were doing when they were in Sydney and what their lives were like before they went to Australia. It turns out that their not related by blood. It's an amazing story, the flashbacks are awesome. It's smart story telling, this is what a tv show must be, entertaining.
  • Great episode. Shannon´s death would be an amazing turn on this series... If it only was real...

On this episode Boone ends up learning that he needs to separate himself from Shannon and to start living his own life. Locke teaches him this by putting a special paste on Boone´s head, which makes him have some kind of vision quest. There, he realizes his sister is tied up with a rope near a tree. When they are able to escape, the “monster” appears and takes Shannon. Then, Boone finds her completely dead but, what we will find out later is that Boone felt relieved when he found her that way, although everything was unreal and Shannon is still alive. The important thing here is, anyway, that Boone now has discovered he will never be able to take care of Shannon´s life, that´s why he starts living his own.

On the Flashback, we can see that Boone used to pay Shannon´s boyfriends a certain sum of money in order to make them leave her, but he soon discovers he was being cheated by his sister, as she was aware of this “deal” with her boyfriend and she also used to keep that money for her. With his boyfriend keeping all the money and leaving away, Shannon goes where Boone and, drunk, admits knowing that he is in love with her. Boone can´t resist her kisses and they have sex right there, but Shannon has only taken advantage of him as she doesn´t love him.

This episode is useful because we learn about Shannon and Boone´s relationship, we learn they are no biological brothers and Shannon has always depended on Boone in terms of money. But, apart from this couple´s story, Kate discovers that Sun speaks English, which is an important step in her relation with the rest of the community.
  • Boone and his sister

‘Hearts And Minds’ is a Boone centric episode, I dearly like his character but yet I feel like this episode could have been much better. Even if It was pretty good all by itself.

In the flashbacks Shannon calls Boone to Sydney as she sounds to be beaten up by her boyfriend. On his way to her house both Shannon and her boyfriend play a game of Boone, he gives the guy money to leave her but it was all fake and Shannon gets away with the money that way. Poor Boone, he shouldn’t give a damn about his b!tch half sister.

What I like so much about Boone is that he really tries to get respect and recognition but he doesn’t get any, but at least he tries. His relationship with Locke is also brilliant as he know what’s going on around the island and decides to show Boone by tying him up on a tree and Shannon near him. Boone has to rescue Shannon and does so, but she gets killed by one of the monsters and when he finds her body he does feel sad, yet relieved. He has been inlove with her for a long time because she’s his half sister but because of her he can’t be in peace and now that Sayid is with Shannon he has to find it, and so he does when she dies in his whatever. At the end he admits to have felt relieved after her death and now knows what’s really going around on the island.

But even if I liked Boone, I can’t say that I enjoyed the flashbacks, actually, they annoyed me and that is mostly because of Shannon as she is a horrible character in this episode. But Boone’s development and chemistry with Locke were great.

I also liked some other small details like Kate finding out that Sun can speak English and Jin giving Hurley food that makes him sick and having to pee on him. This was certainly a nice episode but would have worked better if it were a Locke flashback episode.
  • Could have been excellent if we seen the monster.

Okay, this episode was a Boone&Shannon centric episode. Their past is..ahem, interesting. First sex scene, in Lost, i think.Boone really loves Shannon, but well, Shannon... maybe she has feelings, but she's hiding it very well.

On island Boone wants to share the hatch mystery with Shannon. But Locke doesnt want that... So Locke makes a devilish cream-kind-of-thing, which makes Boone hallucinate. And this, hallucination, is the point of the entire episode. Shannon dies by the monster, but we never seen it! This ruined the episode for me... Boone lets Shannon go.

When Boone realises it was..just a 'dream'...Locke asks him: What'd you feel? 'I felt...good... much..better' Or something like that. Very creepy. VERY creepy. Maybe Locke is upto something?