Lost

He's Our You

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Mar 25, 2009 on ABC

• ben vs sayid

Why doesn't Ben remember Sayid, he was shot by him in childhood!!!?
  • More pain and torture leading to a brutal death --- right?

Sayid has always been, in my mind, the most fascinating character of the original cast. Locke's stories have been more emotional, and Kate's have been more revealing, but Sayid's work because of the contradictory parts of his nature--- at once a very brutal and ruthless man (we see as much in the scene where he cold-bloodedly kills the last man on Ben's list after the first commercial break), yet compassionate and loving at the same time. As we see as we finally learn the reasons why Sayid was on Ajira 316, that's the part that got him into trouble.

In all his flashbacks, we've never gotten a clear picture about Sayid's family. In 'He's Our You' we get little more than a glimpse, but it's enough to tell us everything. His father tried to force his brother to kill something to prove his manhood. Feeling compassion for him, he hugs his brother, and snaps the neck of a chicken. When his father praises his brother, he quickly credits Sayid, and his father says "At least one of you will be a man." Sayid is a torturer. He says that he doesn't like hurting people, and what we know about his past, that's true. But Ben has him pegged right, too --- "he's capable of doing things that other people can't do," and given what we saw him do ever since he got off the island, that's also true. We have no idea how many people Sayid ended up killing for Ben --- dozens, at least--- but he seemed able to compartmentalize, even when the pain was deep. What finally caused him to hate Ben is very simple--- after the killing, we see in this episode, Ben turns to him and simply says: "You're done," and has the gall to say "Get on with your life." The fact is Ben used Sayid like he used so many other people, and then, after all the horrors he put him through, had the nerve to use a murder (which we now know he committed himself) to play the exact same trick on Sayid to get him involved in the first place.
    Sayid no doubt left the rest of the Oceanic 6 planning never to see any of them again, but then he decided to get drunk (on McCutcheon's, no less). Then he happened to meet Ilana, who basically played the same act on him that Elsa did in 'The Economist'--- run into him accidentally, run a short con, and then reveal that she was working for the enemy. In actuality, Ilana was not working for the law or for Ben, but she still had an idea when she took him on that plane that they were going to end up on the island.

The only member of the passengers who would have violently resisted getting on that plane, he no doubts doesn't understand why he was supposed to come back Then he was served lunch by a young Ben Linus. Four years after he ran into the jungle and met with Richard (who really cleaned himself up in 1974, based on 'The Man Behind the Curtain) he is still being very patient. Nevertheless, he seems to be a kind, compassionate child, who is being horribly abused by a brutal father. Maybe another character--- Hurley or Kate, who have seen Ben's sufferings and thought maybe he could be redeemed. Sayid doesn't see it that way, and when you consider that this Ben had no problem lighting a Dharma bus on fire and driving it into the compound, with no concern for anyone else's well being, he probably has a point. The Ben we know had no room in his heart for innocent bystanders, and this one doesn't seem to either.

So now Sayid seems to have one purpose--- the only reason he could have been sent to the past--- is to kill Ben before he becomes the monster that we all know. Considering that this is basically the execution of a fourteen-year old boy, it's amazing that the fanbase, never mind the censors, were okay with this. But then again, they know Ben the way we do. However, here's the question that makes no sense: if Sayid really thought his purpose was to kill Ben, why didn't he finish the job? Hell, he's ex-military, he knows you always go for the head shot. Instead, he shot Ben in the chest, and as we know from past experience, that doesn't necessarily kill. Was there some part of him that, in the end, blanched at killing an innocent man? Did the heart that got him into so much pain--- with his brother, with Shannon, with Elsa--- betray one more time? Given what we saw, sure looks that way.

We seem to be getting a better feeling of the Dharma Initiative with each episode, and this one reveals that they weren't exactly noble themselves. They seemed more than willing to allow the exile of their own, and didn't have much problem with enforced interrogation. (Which leads us to the weakest part of the episode: Oldham. While I'm glad to see William Sanderson in just about anything, for all the buildup we got--- and considering how afraid of him everyone seems--- I expected him to do more than just put a solution in a sugar cube and force it down Sayid's throat. I mean, it worked, but still...) And in many ways, they seemed more of a democracy than the Others or the Oceanic bunch ever did--- though it wasn't much of one, with the weasel-like Radzinsky again stampeding the opinion that Sayid saw his precious Swan, and now he must die. And 'LaFleur' seems more than willing to let all this go on to protect the little patch of grass he's currently maintaining with Juliet. Juliet, however, has clearly begun to think that her time with James is about to reach and it. James may think she's worried about losing their home; he still doesn't see much more than that. After shooting Ben, Sayid has a noticeable grimace of pain before running off into the night. But the question is: running where? There's no safety for him in the jungle, anymore than there was protection among the Dharma folk. But then, as we've come to realize the more we learn about him, Sayid has always been a prisoner, always been alone And he doesn't believe redemption for him is possible, if he ever did. He thinks once again, that he's done. But is he? Is it possible than once again he misunderstood his purpose? Ben's last words to Sayid were: "You're a killer," as if he never forgot the last words Sayid spoke to him after shooting him. Was Sayid here to slay the dragon, or to make sure that it was born? And now that he has, will he stay around longer to find out?
    My score:9
  • Could someone explain me?? I still don't get why the Ocean six should go back. Everything was OK on the Island after Lock left, for 3 years!!

Could someone explain me?? I still don't get why the Ocean six should go back. Everything was OK on the Island after Lock left, for 3 years!! (No flashes, no bloody noses, no flying arrows, Looove) Everybody seemed comfortable on his role at Dharma, now that Ocean five (where are Desmond and Aaron?) are back, they are treated like unwanted guests, weren't they the savers??!! Lock died to bring them back and I still don't see the point, I really hope to see why they should go back before season end, otherwise, I'll be really disappointed.

By the way, off course that Sawyer thinks more than Jack, He lives in a house with a pretty blond girlfriend who cooks for him. Jack lived in the beach, always dealing with Ben, Lock, the smoke monster, Widmore's assassins. NO time for reading, time for action (or reaction)!! That's why I just answered to Sawyer "OK".
  • SWEET SHOW PPLS!!!!!...

SO AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!! One of the best episodes.Like the time Sun PRETENDED to trust Ben but ended up whacking him in the back of the head with an oar!Though I'm sad that Sun and Jin are seperated.:[And she though he was dead.....and Jack,Hurley,Kate,and the rest of them joining the Derma Initiative?Wacky!!I give it an A+!!!!And Sayid [however you spell it]was found and Sawyer had to pretend he was a savage or something!!!I cant wait for the next episode!As my classification says "Exactly why I watch this series!"I hope no one disagrees with me [but you still can, I'm not forcing you]and I hope they enjoyed it!
  • This Season 5 has been THE BEST season I've ever watched of television thus far. Yes, that is how strongly I feel about how terrific this season has been. I will confidently say that this season has been wonderful. Except for tonight's episode.

You know, I have watched this show since the pilot episode. I have never missed a new episode, and I consider myself a tremendous fan of LOST. I know anyone who reads this will feel the same. Well, at least I believe that to be true.

This Season 5 has been THE BEST season I've ever watched of television thus far. Yes, that is how strongly I feel about how terrific this season has been. I will confidently say that this season has been consistently wonderful. Except for tonight's episode.

Now, please let me explain why, without other users here simply marking my ranking of this episode as a 'thumbs-down' simply because they LOVE LOST and would never give an episode anything less than a perfect score, because, well, that would hurt this amazing show's overall score here on this website. But if we all rate each episode as PERFECT, than what are we truly judging? If anyone says that "LaFleur" or "The Life and Death of Jeremy Bentham" aren't in the top 10 episodes of the show ever, then they aren't true fans. That is simply the truth. Those episodes are absolute 10s in every regard. "Namaste" last week? Pretty damn good, too. On to tonight's episode - it was disappointing. How could it not be after how amazing this season has been! I adore Sayid, but this episode did NOTHING to advance how amazing this season has been. It flat-lined, in many ways. It was almost boring at times, which I can only ever say about a few other episodes ever. I LOVE this show, but I honestly think the TRUE fans of this show, who have followed it devoutly from the beginning and genuinely adore the characters, KNOW that this episode was poor. I cannot (as always) wait for next week's episode. It cannot help but be a huge improvement upon this week. Even the ending, as all of us true fans know, was a joke. We know Ben lives on. I wish the writers and producers would stop trying to make us feel like idiots - we DO know the score!
  • Anyone ever heard of a time paradox...

Stay away if you don't want tonight's superb episode ruined for you.

I liked how they filled in the pieces of Sayid that lead up to Ajira Flight 316. Most noticeably was the part were Sayid was "arrested" by a bounty hunter who had been hired by a family of a man he had killed during his time working for Ben. Those people lived in Guam and that's how Sayid got on the plane on the first place. It was pretty funny to see his face as he started seeing Hurley, Jack, Kate, and Sun...but the look he gave Ben was priceless (as seen in the episode 316).

As for in 1977, Sawyer tried his hardest to get Sayid out of trouble, but a vote lead to the decision for Sayid to be killed after he had been "tortured" and revealed he knew way to much. It was in that torture scene that Sayid figured out his purpose to be back on the Island. What a purpose it was...

As of tonight, Sayid decided to create a time paradox but shooting young Ben...as for young Ben being dead...can't really be sure, but Sayid hit him in the heart. But he can't be dead because that would screw everything up...unless everything is supposed to be screwed up....AAAHHHHH
  • If you could go back in time and kill Hitler would you? Lost attempts to answers this hypothetical... With flaming vans!

Sayid is my favorite character on the show. But I'll be the first to say this is the first Sayid-centric episode that didn't really grab me.

The most familiar element was in the flashback of the lover that really turned out to be a trained killer. We saw this in S4's The Economist. The only difference here is that now he got caught. Unfortunately, there's no suspense this time around because we already know she'll have him handcuffed and on the plane from previous episodes. This was mostly just filler, explaining how Sayid got from not working with Ben to extreme home makeover, to back on the plane. Necessary info, but normally, even the backstories provide some sort of surprise. In the main story, DHARMA is still figuring out what to do with their prisoner, who they assume to be a "hostile." This is not unlike S2 when it was Ben who was captured and assumed to be an "other." The twist in fate here is that little Ben wants Sayid to take him back to the Others with him.

Now this is a bit interesting. The kid, of course, is referring to back when Richard Alpert confronted him. And Sayid is faced with the monster that will become Ben Linus. If you could go back in time and kill baby Adolf Hitler would you? Sayid does, in the final moments of the show (and honestly, its THE shocker that saves this episode) he guns down the kid and escapes captivity! Of course this immediately raises the question from Daniel Faraday (and Back to the Future) of what happens if you change the past? Assuming Ben isn't dead, not much. But if he is, we'll find out next week!

Oh, and "He's Our You" refers to a member of DHARMA that extracts information from hostiles. That's it. No big revelations here. Really? I guess the idea was to put Sayid in a poetic justice-like situation where he's on the receiving end (they did this already, too- in S3's Enter 77) Except DHARMA's guy is not really like Sayid because he doesn't torture anyone. Didn't really see the parallels here, and I certainly didn't think it was worth naming an episode after.
  • Plot moving

Does anyone not get it yet! people who have reviewed this episode so far think it is just filler and they do not understand why the oceanic 6 needed to go back to the Island. But here is the kicker Ben knew to save the island he had to be banished from the island, when he moved it he cried because he knew he had to leave a place he loved, he let his daughter die because he did not want to leave. Charles Whidmore left to save the island he loved (maybe that is how Ben conned him to do it). So these season 4 and 5 flashforward/flashbacks show Ben manipulate the Oceanic 6 because he needed them to get back to the Island he hitched a ride he used them! Ben has lied and lied and lied so that he could get back to the island he killed locke because the oceanic six would have asked why do we need Ben wne locke told them how to get back and so once he found out who knew how to get back to the Island Ben lied to get there for himself and his purposes. Remember when he was speaking to whidmore in his bedroom he said the race is on to find a way back to the island well Ben won that Race. Ben is nothing without the Island just that pathetic boy with daddy issues but on the island he is king, savior of the others. Maybe the oceanic six needed to go back we do not know their mission yet but one thing is for sure if ben went on his own on that flight he would never make it back.
  • Lost is great show. didn't like this episode as much as the other episodes of this season but it was still a LOSt show so it was good and deserves a 10.

How shocking was the end? dang! Beastly. but I ask some questions from watching this episode.... * What happened to Ben after he was shot? * Where does Sayid go next after shooting Ben? * Who was responsible for the burning DHARMA bus? * Who would Horace Goodspeed contact in Ann Arbor? * How does Ilana know Sayid was responsible for the death of Peter Avellino? I cant wait till next episode!. I accidently read some of the things that are going to happen on the upcoming episodes. and Holy crap they are insane this show is going to get Awesome.
  • A Sayid-centric episode.

Let me just start off by saying that all things considered, I really enjoyed this episode, but I definitely didn't love everything about it. Although, I've never been the biggest fan of Sayid-centric episodes. I did enjoy the reveals that this episode featured about the missing pieces of Sayid's life. My favorite storyline from this episode was definitely Sawyer's. Sawyer has always been one of my favorite characters on the show, but I have to say that I absolutely loved him in this episode. I have been loving Sawyer's storyline this season. This episode was definitely extremely exciting. I loved the ending of this episode, and I definitely didn't see what happened at the end of the episode at all. In closing, I really enjoyed this episode, but I didn't love everything about it like I said earlier, and I can't wait to see the next episode of Lost.
  • I really enjoyed this episode because it helped me remember why i love sayid so much!

He's Our You is yet another amazing episode of Lost's pivotal fifth season. It was amazing because it was sayid centric in which is the first time he's had a centric episode since the 3rd episode, The Economist, in season four. Although i highly doubt that ben the kid is dead, i still really enjoyed that sayid did what needed to be done. I also really enjoy that Sayid is on his own and refused to join the dharma initiative. Although i do highly dislike Sawyer as of late, i do really enjoy the scenes of the oceanic 6 vs sawyer. I really do love season 5 so far and He's our you is a good example of why i love it!
  • Sayid's best episode probably, with an interesting text, good and shocking scenes. SPOILERS.

So, 5th season keeps its excelent level with He's Our You. My favorite part of this episode is the Ben-was-killed-when-a-child part and the burning dharma-bus. But yeah I liked to see the flashbacks back. And we also got the answer why was Sayid on that plane. I enjoyed the part where Sayid was drugged and tell the whole truth, in that scene he was so funny, but it was also a worring situation for Sawyer a.k.a LaFleur. And so we see how evil was Ben's dad with the poor boy Ben, and I also liked to see the well-scripted scenes of Sayid in the dharma jail whatever.
    So yeah, I'm really happy with this season and I am seriously thinking it can be better than the first and fourth season. Lost rocks, dude!
  • As Sawyer must decide what to do about Sayid, flashbacks reveal what makes Sayid a killer, and that despite all of his good deeds he will always be a killer. In the end Sayid kills a pivotal character.

Finally flashbacks are back! We get a glimpse of the first time Sayid killed, oddly enough he did it to protect his older brother, I think this one act sums up Sayid very well. He has always been a compassionate killer, from his torture of Sawyer to his love for Shannon, he has been one of Lost's scariest and one of it's sweetest.

So as he sits in the Dharma jail cell with a 12 year old Ben bringing him sandwiches, he begins to contemplate their complicated history, and how Ben made him kill all those people and then stopped it without giving him a sense of resolution. The flashbacks showed a downward spiral of Sayid's three years post island and now he finds himself face to face with the a boy version of the man he blames for all of this and he has an opportunity to do something about it. The Dharma Initiative is in panic mode because they believe that Sayid is a spy sent by The Others to investigate the Swan station, which they are still building, and they decide to take him to see Oldham, the Dharma's torturer. Oldham feeds Sayid a truth serum that forces Sayid to spill his time he spent on the island 27 years in the future and he almost gives up the secret Sawyer and the survivors are keeping. Sayid's testimony proves to be quite a conundrum for the Dharma leaders, as they find his knowledge to be disturbing and yet with a hint of truth, so they but it to a vote, and after a stirring speech from Ethan's mom the leaders vote unanimously to kill Sayid. Sawyer offers him a chance to escape, but Sayid believes that he is here to fulfill his destiny which is to die. Later that night Sawyer visits Kate to find out why they all came back, puzzled by Sayid's answer, before she can answer a flaming Dharma bus rolls into the house next door. A distraction set up by Ben to free Sayid and have him take him to his 'people'. As they are escaping they run into Jin whom Sayid knocks out and steals his gun and shoots Ben Linus in the chest, and runs away and thus solving his killing spree past.

What was interesting is that this was exactly the sort of thing Daniel warned them about, and then took back, that whatever happened in the future but not the present had already happened and they did not need to worry about changing it. This means that Ben has to survive because he is still alive and kicking in 2004 when we first meet him, because otherwise they would have never gotten back to 1977 in the first place, meaning in 2004 Ben had already known everything about these people when he first met them. This is making the time travel aspect even more confusing and even more interesting.

The most important thing to take away from this episode was that last week Sawyer warned Jack not to unravel the life they had made for themselves with the Dharma Initiative and now Sayid is the biggest threat to the lie.
  • not as great as i thought it would be

well, with the previews and the amazing things that i thought were going to happen in this episode, i was actually slightly disspointed. I;m sitll going to give this episode a 10 because it's LOST, and every episdoe satisfies me. I;m just saying that alot of the sayd flashbacks were unecessary, and way too much time was spent in the cell. It felt like we were back in the first quarter of season 3 were kate and sawyer were stuck in the cages. We found out why sayid was on the plane with handcuffs, and we learn more about the character Ilana. Overall, i thought it was an ok episode, and that it could have been better, definetly the weakest episdoe this season next to the life and death of jeremy bentham
  • Ben Linus is dead and whatever happened happened.

IMO when Sayid refused Sawyer's offer to escape from the D.I. jail, he knew exactly, what the reason was, he was brought to the island, namely to kill Ben Linus, in order to hinder the purge from happening. What he didn't know was, that he cannot change what's happening from happening. Actually when Faraday talked about, that you cannot change the future, Sawyer was not present. I remember what Eloise told to Desmond, if you try to change the future it will still happen, but in a different way. - The man with red sneakers dying under a scaffolding falling from a construction in the episode Flashes Before Your Eyes in season three. -

So this is exactly what I am thinking. Little Ben Linus is dead. A man like Sayid would know where to aim at to kill, he is the killer. But the purge will still happen under the governance of Ben Linus, the old Ben somehow returning to the island and becoming the leader of the Others/Hostiles. The future will happen as it is supposed to be, but in a slightly different way, just like Eloise told in the future. Whatever happened, happened.
  • Sayid attempts to change history.

In my latest blog I called out this season of Lost for several mishandled storylines and just not living up to the standards set by the greatest drama of all time's past seasons. Well, right on cue they answered with one of the best episodes of the year. It had everything: some solid jokes, a unique torture character that only Lost could conjure and flashbacks. I have been pleading for more flashbacks, but those were the weak parts in the episode, if I can speak frankly about it. It was so obvious which child was going to be Sayid, and I hated how they brought back Sayid working at the mission in South America. I thought that was a colossal mistake when they first revealed it, and my opinion has not changed since then.

But overall definitely a strong offering as the end of Season 5 grows nearer.
  • Namaste Sayid :) "You are the killer"

Sayid centre episode. Typical flashbacks story , we have a lot of past situation form Sayid life`s. Young Sayid and his family... uuu poor chicken :)already know who is Illiana and how Sayid get to the plane to Guam. His face when he see others O6 and said "please flight next plane" was brilliant. Also we can see too a many connections between Ben, young Ben and Sayid. Producers give us a little new character - Oldham , he`s some kind of Dharma Initiative "wizard" :) Sayid already know why he back to Island... he must kill Ben but he don`t know "Whatever happend, happend" :)

Summary that is really curious episode.
    Finish that episode is the best and really dark :) Who watched that know.

Note 10

Ave Lost
  • Stepping stone...

"He's Our You" was an average LOST episode. It was a Sayid-centric one which I enjoyed, I feel like we haven't seen much of Sayid this season so far. For me the best part of the episode was the first scene, the flashback. It starts out with a chubby, slightly hispanic looking child living in Iraq and ordered to kill a chicken. hmmm... My dad and I agreed "well that looks nothing like Sayid." (both under the assumption that the child was indeed suppossed to our beloved Sayid) Moments later another child appears, this one much smaller, slimmer and a full head of shaggy black hair. He quickly grabs the chicken and breaks its neck without flinching. I kid you not friends, at the same time my father and I began laughing and in unison said "THAT'S Sayid!" I'm happy to atleast know how Sayid did end up on the plane, why he was handcuffed, etc etc. The shooting of a young Ben was slightly predictable though... Whoever is editing the scenes for the up and coming episodes needs to rethink what aspects they choose to give us without ruining the episode's captivating moments.
  • There's something slightly lacking in 'He's Our You'.

There's something slightly lacking in 'He's Our You'; it seems that its substance isn't sufficient to maintain a high level of interest for its duration. During a few of Sayid's fairly contemporary 'flashbacks' with Ilyana, the plot smacks too greatly of events in the guy's last centric episode, season four's superior 'The Economist'. While deja vu may have been what the writers were going for in order to create some cyclical artistic symbolism, it falls a little flat. And it's regrettably predictable, given that we know the man was handcuffed to her from the events of '316'. The better material is to be found in 1977 as Naveen Andrews does a stellar job of representing Sayid's emotional journey and dilemma vis a vis Ben, with the minimum of dialogue. His 'torture' scene is immense fun, his encounters with young Ben drip with ambiguity and that final scene... well, that's an almighty shocker, even if it is glaringly obvious that what we think has happened, hasn't. In essence, Andrews makes this one and elevates it above satisfactory.
  • Double Wow!! Especially the ending!!

The main plot of this episode revolves around Sayid's nature and how he gets away from the Dharma Initiative. Episode starts with Sayid as a little boy killing a chicken. It then breaks to the Dharma Initiative with Young Ben bringing Sayid food and a book. Ben also tells him he can help him escape.

The Dharma Initiative leader tries to get Sayid to talk but can't. Sawyer tries again but can't get through to him. Sayid seems willing to die than to give in. We also see the abuse that Ben went thought with his father. Sayid flashes back to when Ben finds him in the Dominican Republic to let him know that John Locke is dead and he thinks he was murdered. Ben is the master manipulator. Ben is trying to get him to kill some men that are watching Hugo. Ben tells Sayid that killing and torture are in his nature.

The Dharma Initiative takes Sayid to a man named Oldham who is their "Sayid". Oldham gives him a drug that will make him tell the truth. Sayid flashes back to the time on the docks when Ben is trying to get them to go back to the island and then flashes to the time when he is taken into custody for one of the men he killed for Ben. He then flashes to getting on the plane that takes them back to the island. Then Oldham Sayid back and he tells them about getting there on a plane and about all of the stations of Dharma. Sayid tells them he is from the future.

The Dharma leaders vote to put Sayid to death. A burning van crashes into the camp as a distraction while the Young Ben frees Sayid. They run into the jungle and another van drives past them. It is Jin and Sayid knocks him out and takes his gun.

Sayid then kills the Young Ben. End of Episode. Does this mean Ben will cease to exist. We will find out in the next episode.
  • just AWESOME !

it's was like evrey eposide of lost jusy AWESOME ! , i really liked sayed he did a really great performance ! , we fianlly why he get in the plane at the first place , and his young life and why he become a KILLER ! < love him ! .

and loved His face when he see others O6 and said "please flight next plane" was brilliant.

and i loved Oldham ! he's really a guines ! . and the last shocking secene was at the the END ! . sayed shoots Ben ! WTF ! . a 10/10 eposide !
  • This episode is another setup that finally reach it´s limits to create the final complication that will lead to some very complicated problems in the next episodes.

6.8
    Plot Details/Objective -» Like Sawyer, Jack, Locke and Kate, Sayid is one of the Characters, so he must have a episode where he is the main character.

What I Like/Disliked -» Hard to tell what I liked in this episode.

Overall:

Presentation -» (6/10). The presentation was nothing special, just another scene.

Complication Phase -» (6/10). The complication here was about Sayid fate and what he may possibly talk that could complicate Sawyer Life´s.

Climax -» (8/10). The tension built when Sayid was taken to one man specialist in torture and discovering the truth was nicely done.

Cliffhanger/Ending -» (7/10). Was a good ending, but for some people like me, this was unnecessary, maybe was necessary to just to complicate Sawyer life´s, since Ben will not Die, that is for sure.

Flashbacks -» (7/10). More than good it is exaggeration, there is not great material here, just information that make you know how sayid and Ben relationship ended and how he was captured.

Time and Scenes Management -» (6/10). There are scenes that only was there to buy time, but overall, was a fair management

Dialogues -» (7/10). Usual filler mixed with some essential dialogues.

Action /Adventure -» (7/10). This rate is just because the tension built when Sayid was being interrogated,

Drama/Emotions -» (5/10). Poor work here.

Suspense/Tension -» (7/10). There only one scene and that was enough.

Surprise/Twists -» (6/10). Ben being shoot, but you already know that he will not die, so what´s the point of making that a surprise? At least, could be worse.

This episode is another setup that finally reach it limit to create the final complication that will lead to some very complicated problems in the next episodes.
  • Flashbacks are back

Wait a minute?! Did I just give a LOST episode a 9.3??. Yes. It was a wonderful episode but one of the slower episodes of the season. But what show doesnt have slow episodes at one time or another? and whats great about lost is that even when there is a slow episode it still delivers. Its just a stepping stone to a fantastic episode ahead. In this episode Ben is still in critical condition and Kate asks Jack to save him, but Jack says no because he already had saved him in the future. So, Kate takes matters into her own hands and takes young ben to the others for their help.
  • Flashbacks are back

I most say I loved that flashbacks are back.. It brought back that old good feeling and I was very eager as it was Sayid episode - there were quite many unanswered questions with him - how he ended up in that plain and handcuffed.

So, it looked like Sawyer's idea that reading book will help him solve Sayid problem, did not worked. It was episode full of that trouble, some awkwardness in Kate-Juliet-Sawyer triangle and some exciting moments.. but I think the ending was really shocking. Whatever was coming, I did not expect that. That was great turn to char and now I feel like we need Faraday to tell us is it possible.. will that change anything?
  • Yawn! Another slow and average episode

Another poor episode by Lost's standards, is it just me or has this season went rubbish, It starts alright then there was some dodgey episodes with messed up flashes we had some good episodes after that with Locke's being the standout one after that episode the show has gone right downhill, it has totally slowed down nothing happens in each episode, I know I want character development but this is far too much character development, loads of characters are not getting enough screen time (Locke, Sun, Desmond, Frank and Daniel) and then some are getting too much screen time (Sawyer has been too involved this season his character has become really irritating and boring). I cant see how people say this is Lost's best season yet it is the worst season yet, it feels as if the season is a filler season on a whole they are answering questions but the questions are the ones I don't really care about. Exploring Dharma's past by being stuck in the seventies sounds like a good idea but its really isnt being handled well its boring and where the hell is Rose and Bernard?

Sayid's flashbacks didn't explain anything there was no point in them apart from the one where he was captured. the rest of the flashbacks where just put in to waste some time, I mean WE KNOW HE'S A KILLER you dont have to remind us all the time. The ending was predictable and it wasn't much of a climax considering Ben is already alive in the future, we all know Ben wont be killed off and if he is he will probably be resurrected how boring is that. I have to say I was not impressed at all with this episode and with this season as a whole. 7.5 out of 10.
  • The first traditional flashback episode of the season was a good one.

It's clear that thematically anything goes now on Lost with multi-centrics, non-specific and flashforwards, so it was nice to have an episode using the old school flashback formula. The episode begins by setting up that, as with almost every character, Sayid has daddy issues. It was a well done little scene that also established that being a killer was in Sayid's nature, which would pay off superbly later in the episode.

On the island in 1977 Sayid was still in a Dharma jail cell, with the young Ben Linus bringing him food and a book which was a great call-back to the second season when Ben was the one getting reading material. After that both Horace and Sawyer gave Sayid options for getting out of the jail, only for him to knock them both back. While this could have came off as annoying, it simply didn't. While at this point it wasn't clear why he didn't want out Sayid's a strong enough character that we knew there was some reason behind it.

Elsewhere on the island Kate, Jack and Hurley were getting accustomed to their new lives. Kate's scene with Juliet talking about Sawyer could've come off poorly, but thankfully didn't. It didn't go on to long and the two seemed to be fine with each other. Obviously they aren't, but the longer they can hold off on the love triangle stuff the better.

The main portion of the flashbacks focused on what Sayid had been doing between having worked for Ben and ending up on flight 316. After Ben told him he wasn't needed anymore the look of uselessness on Sayid's face was genuinely heartbreaking. What made it worse was after Sayid had finally managed to find something to do with his life Ben then came back to give him another mission. Despite Ben's claims that Sayid was a killer by nature I was still thinking the real reason he was working with him was to protect his friends, and it was clear that was what Sayid had been telling himself too.

How Sayid ended up on flight 316 was quite cleverly done too. As we knew that Ilana was the woman who was escorting him to Guam already it shouldn't have been a surprise that she ended up kicking him in the face. However the scene was paced so well that the moment she did turn on Sayid worked brilliantly and was believable as tricking him was the only way she could've possibly bested him in a fight. Despite being a non-believer in the island's power like Jack, Sayid's reaction to seeing who else was getting on their plane was superb. He obviously didn't want to sound like a madman, but clearly knew what was coming, just like Frank did in "316".

While this was another strong episode there was one scene I was slightly disappointed with, which was with Oldham. Considering he was the part the episode was named after and Sawyer's description of him being a psycho the scene wasn't anywhere near as harsh as I thought it would be. While I didn't want to see Sayid tortured, something more than what we got would've been nice. The truth syrum thing worked quite well, and the drugged Sayid answering the questions was played perfectly. Still despite Oldham's line about having used too much you think they would've pressed him a bit harder for answers when they clearly didn't believe what he said.

Still that was the only blemish on an otherwise great episode, but the main talking point was right at the end. Even after Sawyer told Sayid he was going to be executed he still refused to escape. When he referred to his purpose I wasn't sure what he meant, and even after young Ben sprung him I didn't really think Sayid was going to do what he eventually did. Finally admitting to what he is, a killer, perfectly encapsulated the episode. He kept going on about purpose and the episode's main one was clearly to establish Sayid's true self. The actual shooting of Ben was probably the most shocking moment of the season. However we'll have to wait to see if it has any lasting effect (as I doubt he's dead) or if it was just purely for shock value here. Either way it was a strong ending to yet another strong episode.
  • Review

I would have thought this episode would have picked up the action a little more, but it went the conservative "fill in the holes" way with the flashes and it went into a second straight episode with transitions. Couple of things I liked about the episode - flashes are back. Sayid's flash in this epsiode was very well done in relation to what happens at the end of the epsiode and since "Whatever Happened Happened" Ben knows that Sayid shoots him as a kid which is why he is able to look Sayid in the eyes and call him a killer now. Loved that element in hindsight to the end of the epsiode. The scene was not as powerful until after you see the interaction with little Ben and Sayid. I thought it was great seeing Roger and Ben again. Seeing Ben get mistreated is huge for his character that he comes later on in the show. The "He's Our You" portion of the episode was pretty well done. I don't think I was sold on the guy that was supposed to be this horrid torture guy, but either way it was still good. Andrews played the part as well as he could with the truth syrum. The one thing I'm still not digging this season is the lack of consistency. Locke has been off the grid for 2 episodes now since The Life and Death of Jeremy Bentham and it would have been nearly 3 in a row had "316" aired before it like it was orignally planned. Arjia Airlines crashed in 2007 and there's a whole lot of interesting storylines that we could be watching over there. However, they have sunk themselves into a little hole here because it is going to be very hard for them to transfer from 1977 to 2007. They did it in Namaste, but even that was a stretch. Ben could be the link if they are looking to do something like that again.

Overall, decent episode but the season is still lacking strong character consistency that made it so fun to watch back to back in season two. Think of a time in season two when we went without Locke for a multiple episode arch. It just didn't happen that often and now I think it seems more painful because we know how many episodes are left. Also - Desmond? I know he's never been mainstream, but he was always around more then this. He hasn't appeared since Jughead.
  • It wasanother great installment in the Lost saga

What can I say? Throughout the episode, I was glued to the screen watching it with glee. And with the end scenes of the episode, well I could do nothing but leave my mouth open for five minutes after the episode was finished. But don't let my enthusiasm for the show fool you, it wasn't the perfect episode, there was a couple of faults in the episode.

For this season, Kate has slowly been bugging me until the point that everytime I see her on the screen, I can't help but roll my eyes. I feel like she hasn't done much in the season, and that when she is on the screen it seems that all she does is drag her feet with a lack lustre attitude and occasionally mutters Aaron. I do hope that she will pick up and be back to the ol' Kate we know and love. Another snag was the pace of the episode, it felt slow but this could be due to the speed of the episodes prior to this one.

But the hiccups were overshadow by other moments in the show, that were none other then great. For example, the creepy Oldham and his bohemian ways, the torture scene shortly afterwards was nothing short of hypnotic. And also the moments with Sayid and Sawyer in the cell were brillant, when we see Sawyer trying every trick he's got, to help Sayid get out of the cell, and Sayid just blocking him at every turn. But nothing, nothing can be compare to the end of episode, with Sayid shooting that poor young boy and leaving him for dead, what a heartless creature he is. But I kid. But even though Ben can be describe at times as being diabolically evil, it does seem harsh that he should be shot in his teens.

So overall, it was great episode, not perfect just great. But before I forget; when Ben was in Russia and speaking to Sayid, I could not but love that hat he was sporting, and I could not but help want one myself.
  • Back to redemption

The producers mentioned, some time ago, that the second half of this season would be somewhat more streamlined and familiar. If this episode is any indication, they were absolutely correct. This is practically old-school "Lost", in terms of structure and character exploration. It's also a great way to introduce a rather unexpected twist.

This is all about Sayid, though there are moments that shed light on Sawyer's ongoing inner conflict. After all, this is almost a direct follow-up to Sawyer's scathing criticism of Jack in the previous episode. Sawyer slammed Jack for being too reactive as the leader of the Oceanic Tribe, and now he's being forced into a similar reactive mode. Whether or not Sawyer is up to the task remains to be seen, especially in the wake of Sayid's escape.

There's also a bit time of time spent on the Love Polygon, with Sawyer and Kate making rueful eyes at one another and alluding to their repressed true love, while Juliet rightfully starts feeling like her happy little Dharma life is about to implode. It's hard not to sympathize with Juliet, because she's gotten the short end of the stick for far too long. Meanwhile, Jack is brooding, which surprises no one.

Going back to the very beginning of the series, the island has represented a choice: change or perish. How many times has someone paid the ultimate penalty for resisting positive change in their lives and refusing to grow? That doesn't bode well for Sayid, who has decided that his return to the island means that he must embrace what he has been: a killer. It wouldn't be surprising if Sayid had an unfortunate encounter with a certain security system in the near future as a result.

Sayid's psychological process was on display in this episode, and it was nothing short of tragic. The writers turn to an all too familiar source for Sayid's wicked ways: the ubiquitous "I was raised that way" defense. This implies that people cannot change. Others, however, have changed over the course of the series (Sawyer, for example), so it's not a question of Sayid's nature or how he's been nurtured.

The tragedy is that Sayid might have turned from this path had he been permitted to live in happiness with Nadia. He might have changed if he had been allowed to remain in the middle of nowhere, atoning for his sins by helping others. Ben was the one who prevented that from happening, and it's quite possible that this episode provides insight into why.

Previously, it appeared as though Ben used Sayid in his war against Charles Widmore because Sayid was simply the best man for the job. Sayid had the training and (after Nadia's death) the will. But was it as simple as that? Not if Ben remembers a man named Sayid shooting him in the chest. Not if Ben has undergone an experience much like John Locke, and knows, on some level, what must be. (And for that matter, one might wager that Richard knew about this as well, and that's why he told Ben to be patient in "Man Behind the Curtain".)

Even if Ben wasn't operating under the knowledge that "what happened, happened", he could have wanted revenge against Sayid for killing him. What better way than to destroy the man's soul by using him as a cold-blooded killer? Ben has been fairly calculating with everyone from the Oceanic Tribe that has found themselves in the Dharma Initiative. If a resurrected young Ben ever learned what Sayid said during his drugged interrogation, it would have been enough to prompt his actions when Oceanic 815 crashed. (This would, in turn, explain why he seemed to know the plane was going to crash, and why he ordered lists to be made of the surviving passengers.)

As shocking as Ben's death was in this episode, it just doesn't make sense for it to "stick". For one thing, it's possible that he's only badly wounded, and others have recovered from similar situations (Locke, for example). It would also completely violate the rules of time travel that have been established thus far. (The only possible exception to the rule might be Desmond, but even he is only operating within a kind of "uncertainty"; the course still corrects over time.) One would expect that Ben's fate will begin to pull back the veil surrounding his relationship with Jacob.

Sayid's encounter with Ilana serves to clarify her motivations (if, in fact, she is being honest). It's entirely possible that she is what she says she is; it would fit into the general redemptive theme of the story if Sayid's past sins caught up to him in such a way that he had to return to the island. If Ilana is simply a bounty hunter, then that points to Caesar as a possible Widmore mole. (He, too, may have a more mundane motivation and background, but it never hurts to consider Widmore's possible moves in the game.)

There's little doubt that Sayid's actions will have a profound effect on the truce between Dharma and the Hostiles, especially if Horace decides to order some kind of retaliation. In turn, that should serve to complicate Sawyer's attempts to keep the ruse going. That said, there's a lot of time left in the season.
  • Poorly written and fairly uneventful until the pay off at the end...

A pretty poorly written episode, and typical of the mid-season Lost dip. Don't get me wrong, Lost is a fantastic show, but the bar gets raised so high that when a mediocre episode comes along, it's really quite a let down. There were clearly only a few goals in this episode: SPOILER ALERT Tell the tale of Sayid getting to the island and get Sayid to shoot young Ben at the end of the episode. What ends up happening is a lot of filler and attempts at character development that just didn't work. However, it will be interesting to see what happens in the next episode... there had better be consequences! A little more info about the woman who took Sayid to the island would have greatly improved this episode.
< 1 2