Lost

House of the Rising Sun

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Oct 27, 2004 on ABC

• Another great one!

Well, After a rewatch of this episode, I've realized how much that I have underrated it. It was by no means perfect, but it had a really good story; and finding out Sun and Jin's story was cool. Its funny how different those characters are now. So we meet "Adam and Eve" in this episode. I've heard Damon and Carlton before saying that they will play a part in the timeline of the island. I thought this line by Michael was interesting, "Time doesn't matter on a damn island!!" Charlie was hilarious in this episode. "I'd have thought C's actually" haha! He also cracked me up when he called Locke the "Great White Hunter". I really like Locke in this episode too. "What I know is that this island might just give you what you're looking for, but you have to give the island something." Locke- you're too awesome! I'd say everything about the episode was great, except for the ending. I really didn't like the song.
  • Much better than last episode!

Michael is brutally beaten by Jin. Others are puzzled as to the reason, but only Sun and Jin know why. Jack thinks that they should bring the people to the caves to live there as it is safe and there is unlimited water. They find dead bodies in the cave. Sayid and Sawyer don't think it is a good idea to go to the caves because a plane may go by, but if everyone is in the caves, the people in the plane won't know that. Kate also stays back with them. Locke finds out about Charlie's drugs. He makes Charlie hand it over for an exchange of his guitar. Sun approaches Michael and Michael is surprised to learn that Sun can speak English, although, Jin doesn't know it.

This episode was great! I liked the flashbacks and even they were mysterious! It really showed how Jin used to be a good guy until Sun's father's job turned him into a new person. Sayid and Jack are really good debators. My dad was literally saying that he wouldn't know where to choose: the caves or the beach because Jack made the caves sound really good, but Sayid had a big point about the planes. I think I would stay on the beach though. This episode gets a 10 out of 10!
  • Jate is going to happen! There has never been an episode with chemistry so magical in the pathetic "Skate" world!

Even though it was Jin ans Sun flashback there were still very key moments that could never be any less than a perfect 10. Charlie had some hilarius quotes towards Jack and Kate whose love blossomed hugely in this episode. I loved it how Kate was teasing Jack about his tatoos and all the flirting that was going on! And such a key moment was when Kate caught Jack \"checking her out\". This episode along with others shows others just why LOST is the program to watch. Who cares about 24 when you can watch such a beautiful relationship blossom and admire the amazing chemistry between Jack and Kate. Jate is Fate.
  • great episode

Michael gets attacked when he takes a walk in the forest. He comes back to safety but the only people who knows what happened to him are non english speaking jin and sun. Many of the survivors decide that they need to set up camp along the beach in case a rescue comes. The mystery in this episode shows as a little, a flashback of one of the main characters. It's a really nice episode. The writers made this really exciting. We're not really sure what's haunting the survivors, but there is something out there in the forest that's stalking them.
  • jin, sun and michael

daniel dae kim is one of my favorite character actors. i was very impressed with his work on 24 and angel. this episode showed a little history between jin and sun. it was revealed that jin was muscle for sun's underworld dealings and that he and sun were having marital problems. once again it was an episode that made me hate michael even more. but the real suprised was that sun could speak english.
  • Sun and Flowers

My favourite episode so far, I knew there was something about Sun and Jin and glad that they finally got some background and flashbacks. What a beautiful and sad episodes this was.

It begins with Jin and Sun at the beech, Sun is putting some flowers while Jin hunts fish, then he sees Walt and Michael and he runs over them and jumps on Michael, he beats him and tries to kill him but Sawyer and Sayid hold them apart. They chain him on a part of a plane.

Meanwhile Jack and the others at the water beech decide to stay there, they find some bodies that are there for a long while and think that it’s better to live there. Also Kate is definitely showing some crush singes but Jack doesn’t really respond.

The funny part of the episode was definitely the Charlie/Locke thing. First Charlie stands on bees and Locke tries to rescue him, and everytime Charlie goes into the jungle dear old Locke follows him. Locke also seems to know about his drug addiction and says that it will be time for him to quit and says that the jungle will give him back his guitar, Charlie gives his drugs to Locke and then looks up and sees his guitar (very cute moment btw)

Anyway, so everyone tries to find out why Jin tried to harm Michael, Michael says because of racism and Walt asks about that but Michael tells him to never mind. Also their character interactions are awesome and Walt doesn’t know his dad’s birthday but asks it later because now he wants to.

Anyway, back to Sun and Jin. In the past they were gonna get married but Jin didn’t have so much money so he went to work with her dad to earn the money. But as he continued they didn’t have so much time together and he bought her a dog. One day he came back and she saw him under blood and asks him about it but he doesn’t respond so she slaps him. He says that what ever he does, he does it for them.

Meanwhile Jack tells everyone about going to the water and Sayid is pissed about it, the ones who stay are waiting for the boats and meanwhile the others go into the jungle and so the group separates into two. Kate stays behind to pay for what she did, Jack asks her but she doesn’t tell ‘you had your chance to know’.

Anyway, Sun goes to Michael and explains why her boy is so pissed off, she tells him about the watch he found and that it was her father’s. Michael discovers about her English but Jin isn’t allowed to know. Anyway, Michael goes to Jin and cuts him lose after giving him the damn watch.

We learn that Sun was going to leave Jin and her dad to live her own life in America but when it’s time she can’t, se sees Jin with a flower and decides to go with him on the plane.

The end got me all teared up when that sad song played, everyone seemed to come full circle in the episode and it left me behind with exactly what I needed from this show.
  • Awesome.

Love this one a Sun and Jin ep. besides that Jack finds caves with water in it. Locke finds out about Charlie doing drugs and then he gives them up. People move to the caves. In the flasdhback/ this ep. we learn that Sun can speak english and thats because shewas going to leave Jin.
  • We might not understand what they are saying, but at least we know where Sun and Jin come from.

I love a show that keeps you guessing, which is most likely why I love Lost. Throughout the episode, you wonder why Jin is acting up so much toward Michael. You would never guess it was just because Jin wanted to do Mr. Paik's dirty work by getting the watch to Los Angeles. Still, it is not the main plot that brings the show together, it is the entire cast of diverse backgrounds and personalities, and this episode shows that overly well with the arguement of staying on the beach to hope for rescue or move to the water for easier survival. These confrontations with everyone involved displays exactly why this show is so popular.
  • Find out more about the character "Sun" and her secret she has kept from everyone. (CONTAINS NO SPOILERS)

My star rating: **** out of ****

You find out more about the strange yet interesting relationship between Sun and Jin. The flashbacks are focused mainly on Sun but do feature Jin in them.

It discusses: Sun's father, thier relationship, and many other things i will not spoil.

There is a plot twist in this episode that noone saw coming! It will leave you breathless and shocked. This is one secret that the creators kept quite for a while.
  • This episode is about Sun.

This episode is about Sun. Walt and the others are shocked when Michael is beaten, but only the non-English-speaking Jin and Sun know the truth behind the attack. Kate, Jack, Sawyer and Sayid argue about where the survivors should camp, on the beach, where they are more likely to be seen, or in a remote inland valley where fresh water is. Locke finally discovers Charlie's secret. My favorite part of this episode was when Charlie got his guitar back. My other favorite part of this episode was when Kate, Jack, Sawyer and Sayid argue whether or not to live on the shore or in the caves.
  • Flashback showing Jin and Sun.......Jack finds a cave with water and gets part of the group to move there with him.

I think the episodes with the Koreans are great! I think they are good actors!! I watched this episode in March of 06. I didn't catch it the first time around. Very good episode!
    I really liked it I need more words for this revie. What should I say next.
  • Awesome.

Some of the survivors move to the caves, while some stay at the beach. Locke exchanges Charlie's heroin for Charlie's guitar. Jin attacks Michael because he has Jin's father-in-law's watch; however, only Jin's wife Sun knows this because they do not speak English. Jin is handcuffed to the wreckage. Sun reveals to Michael that she can speak English and explains why Jin attacked Michael, after which Michael frees Jin. Flashbacks show that Jin had to take a job working for Sun's father for her hand in marriage. One night, after they are married, Jin returns home covered in someone else's blood. Sun secretly plots to leave Jin; however, she changes her mind in the end. I love Kate, Jack and Charlie in the first season, they are the best - however Charlie rules over them though. So we learn about Sun and Jin. Michael and Jin have a fight - preety good one too. I love the scenes where Jack, Kate, Chalie and Locke are around the caves - so good!
  • Brilliant

This is an outstanding beginning to the beginning of the Jin/Sun. The scene where they are standing in line at the airport and she is about leave when he pulls out the white flower is powerful and very emotional. Jin brining Sun the dog is also some great foreshadowing of their next episode. The confrontation between Locke and Charlie is also a great setup to 'The Moth'. This is also the first appearance of the skeletons. The producers did promise us that this would come into play later. The whole deal with Michael and the watch was great. It was interesting to see his relationship with Jin develop over the years from this episode. It wasn't at the time, but the Jin/Sun flashbacks are among my favorites now, and this episode had a lot going for it.
  • A satisfying episode overall.

The characters develop further this time it is the korean couple's background that is explained. Locke discovers Charlies secret and he agrees to give up the drugs for his guitar. The scenes with the bea's nest is full of tension and adds suspence to the episode which otherwise focuses on character. Jack and kate's relationship also establishes further and there whole strategy for survival changes and this seperates the group. Something that i felt was bound to happen eventually. The episode paces itself well taking time to explain the characters past as well as having a good balance between the characters that are shown and what happens to them. So that each scenario in the episode whether it be Locke and Charlie, the Korean couple or Jack and kate, each have the perect amount of screen time and by the end, every short story is rounded up nicely. It may not be as strong as previous episodes but its satisfying overall. I feel the series has set up its tone now and settled into its own style so that you can seperate it from other series and it stands alone.
  • ...

A great episode, really interessting and intense with a great and entertaining cast with an amazing amount of suspense and energy put into the show!A great episode, really interessting and intense with a great and entertaining cast with an amazing amount of suspense and energy put into the show!A great episode, really interessting and intense with a great and entertaining cast with an amazing amount of suspense and energy put into the show!A great episode, really interessting and intense with a great and entertaining cast with an amazing amount of suspense and energy put into the show! A Must See Show!
  • I must admit that i'm a fan of asian culture, but this chapter actually rocked! It's sad to see how the beautiful pure love Jin and Sun had for each other was changed by money and greed.

A chapter of many revelations. We see the history of Sun and Jin, the mysterious asian couple and how their love got corrupted to the point of betrayal and lying. They meet each other, she a high-class millonaire lady and he a humble guy from a fisherman family; but beyond that they fall in love and secretly gather whenever they can. The classes differences wouldn't let them be, but finally Jin takes courage to ask Sun's hand in marriage and surprisingly her father agrees on the condition of working for him. Over the time Jin works hard gaining his father-in-law confidence and makes enough money to give her anything she needs. What he can't see is that she already had all that stuff and that what she really wanted was him beside her and their love. Their relationship wastes to the point that she can't be around him anymore and plans to escape but in the last minute she gave them a second chance for their love's sake. Then we realize that all this time she could speak english but was hiding it because of Jin. Back at the beach there's a lot of thinking about giving up the hope of getting rescued and get to a better place in the caves or wait to be the first to be sighted in the beach by any rescue team, wich leads us to many separations.
  • We have yet more character introductions, this time with Korean couple and some of the background information. But we also have some more questions that have arisen that needs answers, I'll just add those to the others.

Some things come to head and we see the Korean man attack the black man and then try to drown him, which is a bit bizarre but it is broken up and the korean man is then handcuffed to some plane wreckage until it can be explained.

The water crew do back into the jungle in order to get more water from the caved area, only for Charlie to stand on a beehive when he was trying to take some of his drugs. They end up getting out of the beehive and then talk about the water requirements, and the skeletons that they find in the caves. They then believe that the caves will be a better place for the survivors to settle.

Back on the beach, some of the others agree with the points regarding going to the caves, but then others are under the assumption that the beach is the best bet, so we are starting to get split decisions, as some belive they are better at following Jack.

The story of the Koreans gets more involved, as we learn that the hubby works for her father, who is powerful, possibly mafia orientated. We also learn that Sun has got a plan to get away from her hubby, but that she did not go through with it.

We also discover that Sun speak English, but that hubby doesn't know, but she explained to the Michael why her husband had attacked him this morning. Over her fathers watch. Then Michael returns the watch to the korean and chops his handcuff off.

Charlie ends up giving the drugs to John and manages to get his guitar back, so we finish off with a nice little song to end the episode.
  • Review

A little bit of tension ensues when Jack makes a hasty decision to move away from the beach, which leads to a disscussion between Jack and Sayid about which is the right course of action. I like the way the writers are making these characters interact with one anyother early on in the series. Everyone is sitll being careful and they are using strong "on screen connections"(Jake and Kate, Locke and Charlie) to their advantage and its really paying off for them I think. I thought the beginning of the episode was kind of shocking, with Michael getting run over by Jin for what seemed to be no reason. We find out in the end that it was over a watch, which forces Michael to throw it back at Jin. I dont think this show would be nearly as good without some tension between the losties, and I think tension could be the word to describe this episode. Overall I think this is one of the better episodes of season 1.
  • Mainly a Jin and Sun episode

Although Jin isn't one of my favorite characters, I love Sun. She is exteremly good looking and is really good in Lost. But I digress, this episode was interesting, because I never even thought about someone not speaking English on the island. It would be really difficult. The good thing was that Sun can speak English. All in all, a great episode.
  • Sun and Jin

This wasn't the best episode but it was a lot better than the previous episode white rabbit. This couple Sun and Jin were not my favorite. I had a feeling that Sun knew how to speak English, I was just waiting for her to reveal it. After this episode I was able to see why Sun and Jin were the way they were. I felt bad for her. She was trapped in a marriage that she didn't want to be in. I know that was a hard decision for her to stay. Much better episode that the last one. Good Job!
  • jin attacks michael on the beach but michael doesnt know why and sayid and jack argue over whether they should live at the caves or the beach.

a good episode and we finally get a look at jin and suns past. the best parts if this episode where when john persuades charlie to give up his drugs and when jin attacks michael on the beach. it was interesting to see who wanted to stay at the beach and who wanted to go to the caves. the funny part of this episode was when charlie was stood on the beehive and accidentally split it. we realise that jin and sun where a happy couple until jin worked for suns father, who made jin do bad things. i love lost.
  • I rarely choose to classify an episode as a 'char dev' one, but it's just the opportunity to do so.

Jin and Sun. Two korean. They are married. Jin seems very strict. They are far from the other survivors. Why? Why is Jin so strict?

In this episode, don't worry - you'll find it all out(Almost)...

Flashback-wise this was a great episode with great reveals. Before the crash, Jin and Sun were planning to escape, and go to America. Sun is appearntly a daughter of a very rich man, and Jin, is, just from a poor family whose job is to fish. Very romantic.

Hwoever, Jin gets an opportunity, a job from Sun's father. And that changes everything... So dramatically, one day Jin arrives with blood on his clothes and hands. And it's not his own..

And this is a turning point. This is where - although Jin still loves Sun - Jin realises he's controlled by one man.

The opening scene is scary, and it will be explained by the end of the episode. Reveals are not only in the flashbacks.. no. On island too. Sun speaks english. Scary? Locke finds out Charlie's addiction. Hmm? 2 corpses 'Adam and Eve' found in the caves...? Hmmm? Jack's plan to move to the caves..? Hmm? Great episode, must say. However, the ending was once again musical, too musical.

Seems like the writers didn't bother themselves with cliffhangers in the first part of the 'LOST' season 1. However, soonly, it will change...

Another superb installment of Lost with a lot of character development. I love all the story line tie ins between episodes like zooming out of Jack complaining about the casket to Sun looking at Jin behind him, it was just great to see.

It was fantastic delving in to Sun & Jin's twisted relationship, the theme that returns is "everything happens for a reason." If Sun would have ran away, she would have never been in the plane crash. I'm liking the playful yet serious Jack & Kate relationship.

The Locke & Charlie interactions were incredible: "Look up." We just got a very entertaining episode here with a lot of noteworthy scenes. Can't wait for the next installment.
  • A very exciting, suspenseful and revealing episode!

This was an excellent follow up of 'White Rabbit'(last weeks episode)!
    The start of this episode showed us a little bit about Sun and jinn's past life in Korea just after they had met each other.

Then on the island Jin suddenly attacks Michael seemingly without provocation! Why did he do this? So Sayid handcuffs Jin to the wreckage until they knew why! I thought Michael was innocent even though he was the victim and was questioned about it. On the previous episode jack discovered 'the caves' so he took a group of survivors there to check it out where Locke found out that Charlie was using drugs. I thought It was funny how Charlie was stung by heaps of bees along with Locke. As for Jin and Sun, Sun told Michael that she speaks English! A new island mystery solved, and we find out that Michael was wearing Sun's father's watch which was why Jin attacked him! Then It was great how Michael went to Jin and threatened him to stay away from him and Walt.

The end was nice how Charlie gave up his drugs and gave them to Locke for his guitar which was sitting on a hill.
    So now half of the survivors are living at the caves and the other half at the beach. Overall a superb and revealing episode! Looks like the next episode will focus on Charlie's withdrawal from drugs!
  • Charlie: The great white hunter's getting restless.

Some of the survivors move to the caves, while some stay at the beach. Locke exchanges Charlie's heroin for Charlie's guitar. Jin attacks Michael because Michael has Jin's father-in-law's watch, however only Jin's wife Sun knows this because they do not speak English. Jin is handcuffed to the wreckage. Sun reveals to Michael that she can speak English and explains why Jin attacked Michael and Michael frees Jin. Flashbacks show that Jin had to take a job working for Sun's father for Sun's hand in marriage. One night after they're married, Jin returns home covered in someone else's blood. Sun secretly plots to leave Jin, however, she changes her mind in the end. This episode was simular to the prevous. 9.1 out of 10.
  • Wow, this is my longest review ever! 700 words!! So moving, great character developement..........

Ya, I quite liked this episode. We knew nothing about Jin and Sun before this.We also see that the groups start to take sides.
    The episode starts off with Sun watching some of the survivors setting off to get water.
    She has a flashback, we see her at a party, where Jin is a drink server.Sun later tells him she wants to move to America.
    Jin tells her they shouldn't elope because they'll get caught by her father.
    Suddenly back on the island, we see Jin who runs to Michael and knocks him to the floor.He starts beating him really badly in the water.
    Luckily Sayid and Sawyer arrive in time and save Michael. As Jin struggles, they handcuff him to the plane.
    Meanwhile Kate,Jack,Charlie and Locke are at the caves where there's a waterfall.Charlie sneaks off but Locke follows him and tellls him not to move.
    There's a beehive under him.Kate and Jack go look for something to cover it up.
    On the beach, they investigate why Jin attacked Mike.
    Sun has another flashback, this time we see Jin telling her that they have her father's permission to marry.
    However, Jin must work for him in exchange.Meanwhile, Charlie startles the bees and they chase after everyone.Kate and Jack run away and land in a cave.
    In there they find two rotted corpses. A man and a woman -Adam and Eve.
    Jack pulls a small pouch off of one and opens it, revealing two small stones, one black and one white. Locke and Charlie find them and see the corpses.
    We see Sun put herbs on Jin's cuts and then has another flashback.We see her n her apartment with a puppy Jin bought for her.
    She then asks him if he remembers when all he could give her was a flower, but her father calls Jin's cell phone before he can answer her.
    Back at the caves,Jack decides they should bring everyone to the caves to live.
    Meanwhile Mike finds out Walt knows nothing about him.
    Sun begs Jin to let her explain why he attacked Michael, but he won't let her. In another flashback, the puppy is now grown, and Jin arrives home angrily. He goes into the bathroom and she follows. She then sees blood on his clothes and asks what happened. When he doesn't reply, she realizes that the blood isn't his. He then says that he was working and she asks what he does for her father. He tells her that he does whatever her father wants him to do.
    Meanwhile we see Charlie wander off and we see Locke is following him.Locke tells Charlie he knows who he is.
    He knows he was in Driveshaft.We also see that Sayid disagrees with Jack about moving to the caves.
    Jack and Sayid recruit people for staying or going.When Sun sees Michael chopping wood, she walks closer and has a flashback of talking to a home decorator. She and the decorator then go into the bedroom and talk, revealing that she isn't a home decorator, but is actually helping Sun leave the country! The plan is to make it look like Sun has been kidnapped and is dead. As the flashback ends, Sun walks up to Michael and says she needs to talking to him, in English! Michael is in shock and Sun tells him how Jin doesn't know she speaks it.
    She then tells him that Jin has an angry temper and that the attack was a misunderstanding. It turns out that the watch Michael is wearing, which he found two days earlier, belonged to Sun's father, and protecting it is and honor to Jin. She then asks Michael for help.Elsewhere, we see Locke following Charlie everywhere.Locke knows about his drugs.
    He asks him if Charlie wants his drugs more than his guitar.Charlie chooses the guitar and looks up.
    He spots the guitar and gives a big smile!Kate also tells Jack she's staying at the beach.
    Michael lets Jin free and tells him he knows about the watch.
    As Charlie is playing his guitar that night in the cave, Jack, Hurley, Sun, Jin, and the others arrive at their new home and settle in. Back on the beach, Sawyer, Kate, Michael, Walt, Sayid, and the others sit quietly around a bonfire. The episode ends realy well, we see Hurley listening to the beautiful song "Are you sure".
    The episode was really moving, I loved it.
  • Holy crap Bees...

That's right bees, that scene has always bothered me, how the hell did Charlie manage to miss the bee hive? Well we will never know. Other than that this episode was a lot like White Rabbit when it comes to the flashbacks they are not the best but it is important to see Jin is kind underneath all that anger and that Jin and Sun were once happy. I enjoy the episode the Adam and Eve part was cool we still dont know for sure who those two bodies actually are. Michael was great in this episode, he hasn't done much so far so this was refreshing to see him in the centre of the action, What a shocker when Sun speaks English, highlight of the episode but the fight at the start was pretty awesome as well. The caves are cool and a good set for the first season kind of missed them during season two but the hatch set took up a lot of space. I enjoy Sun and Jin's relationship development during the series and they are the couple I like the best because of how far they have come since day one. Overall a decent episode better than White Rabbit but still one of the weakest episode so far.
  • Jin and Sun's backstory is explored.

After seeing this episode, I have to say that I thought that this episode was pretty good, but it's definitely not one of my all time favorite episodes of Lost. So far, I'm pretty intrigued by the characters Jin and Sun, but I wouldn't say that they stand out as two of my favorite characters on the show. One thing that I did really like about this episode was all of the stuff regarding Walt and Michael. So far, I'm been very intrigued by Walt and Michael as characters, so I really enjoyed their story line. I also really liked Charlie in this episode too. All things considered, I definitely wouldn't say that this was the best episode ever of Lost, but I thought that it was still pretty good.
  • Great Episode...

House of the rising Sun episode is a Sun Centric Flashback Episoe. At the start of the episode Jack decides to take Kate, Locke and Charlie to the Caves to get some more water. Meanwhile Micheal is on the Beach with Walt when all of a sudden he is attacked by Jin and beating up but is eventurally helped by Sayid and sawyer who handcuff Jin to a part of the plane. Back at the caves Locke refuses to take his eye of the suspicious charlie while jack and kate find two very old decomposed bodies one of which had two mysterious stones in his pocket. Back on the beach the other losties try and find out why Jin attacked Mike, while micheal takes his anger by chopping wood when he is interupted by Sun who asks for his help in ENGLISH...(in Suns FB it shows her and Jin happily in love but eventually there marriage begins to fall apart and it is revealed that sun learned english so she could run away on thier holiday in australia, but she changed her mind on the last miniute.) As Jack and Kate make thier way back to the beach, Jack suggest that the losties move to the caves, meanwhile back at the caves Locke confronts charlie about his drugs and presudes him to give them up and helps charlie find his guitar. As jin continued to be burnt on the beach Micheal comes up to him and relases him. The episode finishes with about half the Losties moving to the cave while the other half including Kate decide to stay on the beach instead of giving up hope of rescue.
  • Very good episode...

It is a great episode because we learn more about Sun and Jin, the Corean couple. But still, I felt like something was missing. Although the Flashbacks were not very entertaining, it was the kind of information we need to know. Obviously there are lots of questions that haven´t been answered, like how did Sun manage to learn english without Jin noticing? Or the fact that there may be other survivors on the island (regarding to previous episodes). But i was happy to know that there is "something" between Lack and Kate, the way they look at each other, the way they talk, etc. Something WILL happen between them.
< 1 2