Lost

House of the Rising Sun

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Oct 27, 2004 on ABC

• now we learn about Sun and Jin...

This episode is mainly about Sun and Jin, which are the only survivors that don't speak english, or do they? Micheal is attacked by Jin because of a watch, which has sentimental value. The flashbacks are composed of Sun and Jin's beginnings of their relationship and marriage. The flashbacks were a bit boring and drawn out, but they revealed a lot about both characters. The main story was a little annoying and stupid also. I liked when Sun revealed to Michael that she spoke english. I didn't like Jack's part of the episode; it was annoying and boring. Overall, ok episode.
  • Overall good, but a few qualms keep it from a higher ranking.

As the stay becomes longer and longer, the group starts to shift from hoping for rescue to preparing for survival. Are these people ready to settle for long-term residence in a place better suited for them, or will they still cling to the hope of being rescued by the less hospitable shoreline? On top of this, they have to figure out how to function in their new society. Many of them are strangers, but what about those who knew each other before the crash? We have brother/sister, father/son and husband/wife. This episode covers the last dynamic as we see Sun's history with Jin. Initially, Sun and Jin are some of the more mysterious members of the castaways because of the language barrier. This is a helpful function of the flashbacks, because there isn't much way for us to learn about these characters besides their minimal interactions with other castaways.

An interesting, albeit risky, choice for Lost is the plotline heavy with subtitles. It’s rare on American TV to have a show with more than a few lines of dialogue, much less an entire subplot in a foreign language. They didn’t have a choice in the matter; all we knew was that neither of them spoke English, and to have them suddenly speaking it would’ve been confusing. Thankfully the critical and commercial success of Lost allowed them to do this.

One important part of Jin and Sun’s back story is the class struggle. Jin is lower class and Sun isn’t (originally I thought Sun was royalty). However, as love is, money doesn’t matter to them. All Jin needed to impress Sun was a flower. Later, although Jin can shower Sun with gifts, it comes at a price, and that is Sun's happiness in the relationship. Unfortunately, Sun’s social stature was made with blood money, and Jin becomes entwined in that world. Sun’s father is a shady businessman and Jin is out doing his dirty work, which we presume is awfully dark if it involves him washing blood off his suit! This brutal side corrodes their relationship to where it is now, but it is that brief moment with the flower that convinces her that there is a trace of the old Jin left in him, a fateful convincing.

This episode also shatters the illusion that Sun is a submissive housewife, which makes the episode’s title all the more fitting. Some did theorize that one or both of the Korean couple knew English this episode confirms to us that Sun does. Sun learning English without her husband’s knowledge helps add to the schism between the two.

We also see that Jin isn't just a domineering abusive husband. He has been a jerk to Sun and the rest of the castaways for most of the season to date, but he was also tender to Sun when they were courting. The only thing that kept Sun from going through on her plan to run was the brief glimpse of what she fell for; a sweet man who only needed to give her a flower. However, since then she has faced these unpleasant reminders of Jin since the crash, as Jin bashes a fish's skull in, followed by pummeling Michael on the shore, almost drowning him if it wasn't for Sawyer and Sayid. It is also worth noting that Daniel Dae Kim didn't know much Korean before taking the role, but his portrayal is so good that you wouldn't know it.

Michael’s confrontation gives way to his first substantial lesson for Walt. Unfortunately, Michael lets the heat of the scuffle get the best of him and his prejudices come out. He also learns that Walt knows nothing about him. Michael is definitely far from father of the year. While he appears to be trying there is a troubling underlying anger.

Which leads us to his haranguing of Jin before cutting him loose. There probably isn't a better place for him to unleash his frustration about his parenting skills and being stuck on this island. On a character heavy show like Lost, it is interesting to see this early part of Jin and Michael's relationship to where we are now, just finishing season two.

As we have seen before, there were several, easily negligible hints to why Jin attacked Michael. Sun tries to tell the other castaways his motive by pointing to her wrist, but Sayid dismissed it as a plea to let Jin out of the cuffs. Then in one scene we cut to the flashback where Sun is wearing the watch in question. Also, Michael didn’t have on a watch in the last episode.

There was some connection between Sun and Michael. The writers dropped hints of a potential romantic storyline early in the season. Therefore, it would make sense that she would intervene and confide in him her secret that she knows English. It is also telling of her beliefs of a long-term stay, which is nicely connected when she and Jin go to the caves to live. Although it will make sense for her to inform others of her bilingual capabilities so she can be a part of the group (and help Jin along too).

Onto the other plots, Locke’s moment with “the monster” was crucial to play out early in the season, as it gives him a reason to exist: to teach the other castaways what he supposedly gained from this encounter. The first person he decides to share this information with is Charlie. Locke makes an observation, while underplayed, becomes vital to the relationship he has with Charlie. Unlike anyone else, Locke actually knows who Charlie is and is a fan of his work. This helps Locke earn Charlie’s trust, since Charlie keeps dropping that he was in a band to people who don't care. For that reason, he's able to seize on the opportunity to help Charlie, who found himself on top of a beehive getting a fix.

The island mythology is delved into a little deeper with the discovery of “Adam and Eve”, the two corpses in the caves. With the French woman’s transmission and monster, they knew that there was more to this island, but with this, they are realizing that this island has a long history of weird events. Considering all the religious and spiritual symbols, calling them “Adam and Eve” is fitting, and could be interesting to see if anything develops from it. Also, what is with the black and white stones in the pouch?

The caves and Jack's insistence of it being a good shelter splits the group in two; those remaining on the beach for rescue and those seeking shelter in the caves. This is the biggest indicator of how people feel on the island. They must decide, after a week of waiting, whether to stay hopeful and wait for anyone to come by or to go to the best place they have for a sustainable shelter. Of course, we know that they’ll be there for a long time, but it offers some interesting character moments to see who decides to stay and who decides to go.

Kate's choice doesn't ring true for me. It feels like this is more to drive a wedge between her and Jack as well as increasing her time with Sawyer and Sayid (although the Sayid thing would be scrapped shortly). Things between Jack and Kate have gotten awfully close, but that means they had to jam the works, but couldn't it be better explained? What does Kate have to look forward to when they are rescued? She would have to answer for her crimes and be arrested again. Best case scenario is she lies and goes on the run when the rescue team hits a mainland. Perhaps she is only doing this to give the impression that she doesn't have this sinister past.

Sayid makes a great point, saying that this contradicts with Jack’s “live together, die alone” speech. While splitting the survivors into two groups goes against that, it is a definitive decision, which is a nice piece of continuity from last week, where Jack was struggling with decision making.

It would’ve been nice to see the reasons why Claire, Shannon and Boone decided to stay on the beach. Shannon staying makes sense, but perhaps Boone would’ve wanted to move to the caves in hopes that the long term stay would allow him to prove himself. Claire’s health scare would also be important to address. Even if she wanted to wait for rescue, her priority should be the kid growing in her and being near Jack would allow that.

Overall, this episode is almost as good as most of the episodes before it, but there are some things that hamper it, like that prolonged montage at the end, which felt like killing time (did we really need to see 2 minutes of it?) and Kate's weird out of character moment, that made more sense for the story than the character. However, giving the spotlight to characters who on nearly every other show would be prime fodder to be killed off or forgotten is welcome, especially this early in the season.
  • "Our very own Adam and Eve" Episode 6 was the point where the writer's creative adrenalin was almost getting the better of them. It was time to slow things down.

After 5 outstanding episodes, all of which lay the foundations for the series, it was inevitable that things would start to slow up. The writers had given us 5 episodes of eye-popping action, effects, plot twists and monsters and now it was time to take the pedal off the metal. That's not saying that in doing so any quality is lacking from this episode. It is still a competant enough episode, and despite the fact that Lost is essentially about character, not mystery, the best episodes are those that mix both. This one sort of does that. There are plenty of better exceptions (Special, All the Best Cowboys have Daddy Issues, Deus Ex Machina and the Exodus finale), but this is one that tries to insert some mystery into things, namely the Adam and Eve skeletons found in the newly-found caves, which would play a pivotal part in the rest of Season 1.
    But this episode doesn't focus on mystery, the Adan and Eve plotline is brushed quickly aside and the character drama surrounding Jin and Sun is the order of the day.
    The pace of this episode is a little slower compared to previous episodes, and in the context of the series so far, that change of pace works. Whether you care about character plotlines enough to fully enjoy this episode is another thing, but somehow the writers always find some way of keeping the audience awake through the proceedings. This is event storytelling at its finest. This was the first of the purely character-based episodes of the series, of which there would be plenty more subsequently. The flashbacks are very emotionmal and Yunjin Kim does a fantastic job in making us sympathise with her. Interestingly enough in the later episode, ..In Translation, Daniel Dae Kim, who plays her husband, Jin, does the same thing and we end up sympathising with him instead. The Jin and Sun dynamic is very interesting. In this episode, as with previous ones, the audience is completely on Sun's side of the argument. Jin began as one of the most unpopular screen husbands on TV. But ..In Translation proved that it was six of one, half a dozen of the other, and the argument was balancing more evenly. You just had to synpathise with Jin.
    The Jin and Michael rivalry comes to a head in this episode, and it seems amazing to think that at the end of Season 1 they were more friendly toward each other. Okay, they don't become drinking pals, they still argue, but there is certainly more respect between them. Nothing major happens in this episode, in terms of plot points, and there is no attempt to throw in an action sequence, an effects shot, or the howl of the Monster. One of my favourite island moments from this episode, and I think it is my personal highlight, is when Charlie looks up to see his guitar, hanging above him. I think I cried with Charlie, being a guitarist myself, I would have had the same reaction.
    This is a good episode, not outstanding, as there isn't so much going on to make it stand out, but as a focused character piece, it is still enjoyable.
  • Another good episode from Lost where we learn more about how fate brought the various people to the island

7.8
    Like episode 5 this was another slower episode, again with some touching scenes such as Locke convincing Charlie to give up the drugs and Charlie getting back his guitar, and Michael bonding with Walt. The saddest bit for me was in the flashbacks and seeing how close Sun (and possibly her husband as well) was from not being on that plane. Fate has definitely brought all of them to this island.

Some nice character development in this episode especially with Sun. It was weird to see her so in love with Jin especially considering her obvious feelings towards him now.
    I liked Charlie in this episode. He brings some light entertainment to the island.
    Interesting to see the 2 camps forming with their leaders Jack and Sayid but I didn't like to see how they went up to small groups of people to try and convince them to do things their way, it was too political. They should've just made a big announcement to the group and let people decide on their own.
    We didn't get to see where other key characters decided to go eg Boone, Shannon or Claire which was a shame. It was also interesting to see that Kate stayed on the beach, something which I'm sure will be explored in the next episode.
  • "lost" its touch alittle

7.9
    When Jin Kwon attacks and beats Michael Dawson, the survivors defend Michael and arrest Jin with a handcuff. Dr. Jack Shephard, Kate Austen and Charlie Pace go to the water source to bring water for the other survivors, and Jack tries to convince the survivors to move to the caves nearby the source of water. The group splits in two, with part staying at the beach expecting to find some rescue – ship or plane. Meanwhile John Locke finds out that Charlie is addicted and takes his drugs.

This episode discloses the love story of Sun and Jin Kwon and the dark past of Jin. The communication between the Korean couple and the group improves when Sun reveals to Michael that she can speak English, but Jin does not know.
  • Sun and Jin

7.9
    Sun and Jin are amoug my favorite cast aways....especially JIn....the man is so handsome.

Anyway:

This was a very good episode, although it was basically character development on all fronts it revealed a great secret: Sun can speak english, which I had figured out already, but it was still nice to see my prediction become a reality.

Overall, another great episode.
  • Sun Time!!!

Sun and Jin are the type of characters tha can be interesting as we progress in the season, but at this moment, their situation is not very interesting.

Sun flashbacks does not show too much. We know that she wanted to leave her husband, but she didn´t.

Contrary to some moments in the last episodes and since the beginning, the impression that Jin give us, is not the same in the flashbacks. He seems to love his wife and he is capable of doing what is necessary to make her happy.

Sun revelation is not big or something special, still can caught some audience by surprise.

Her flashbacks are incomplete, since we don´t know what type of job was Jin doing for her father and since they are a couple, Jin flashback will reveal that.
  • You speak... english?

Much like "Tabula Rasa" this episode was focusing on the characters instead of the mythology. The best Lost episodes are always focusing on both elements of the show with a few expections. The Sun/Jin duo was always interesting, and they felt really "off", so it's not a surprise that they finally get an episode.

It's always nice to learn about different cultures,especially if they're portrayed with accuracy. I think in this case we can say that. The other important thing the flashback shed some light on is that Jin wasn't always a jerk that he is on the island. For me, the high point of the episode was Sun's reveal to Michael that he can speak english. That was really something I didn't see coming at all, and simply adds to the already dodgy relationship between Sun and Jin.

My biggest complaint is the ending. Last episode I found the musical montage a bit shakey, well, this time it was plain bad. The music wasn't fitting at all, and it's just not a good thing to top off a slow episode with an even slower montage in the end. Should've ended with a bang - in my opinion. Oh well, nonetheless, good episode, but nothing special.
  • All of the characters who the show has been mysteriously shoving in the background suddenly get a time to shine. Plus, Charlie, who once seemed to be a main character but as of late joined the background crew, is thrown to the foreground as well.

Jin and Sun, the resident non-English speaking Korean couple, were the pair of characters that the show touched on less than anyone else. We saw Jin feed (well, try to) the Lostaways early on, we saw Michael catch Sun in the nude, and we've seen that Jin has some serious control issues with Sun. Other than that, their whole personalities have been left up to speculation. Until now.

House of the Rising Sun does something interesting. It gives us Jin and Sun's backstory, but only from Sun's point of view. This leaves two ends open: first, it means that sooner or later, we're gonna see Jin's side of the story, and we can bet it's gonna change everything we think of him after this one (which I must say is probably pretty negatively), and second, it allows us to have our first real villain amongst the ranks of the survivors (at least for now).

The episode begins when Jin mysteriously attacks Michael, in one of the most intense fistfights I've seen on network TV. Of course, as you probably guessed, it's all a misunderstanding, but Jin, who can't speak English, can't understand "What the hell are you doing?" and Michael, who can't understand Korean, can't understand "You stole my valuable watch", which is apparently what made Jin throw his tantrum.

Only Sun knows both truths, because as it is revealed to us and Michael but nobody else (even Jin) that she actually DOES know English, and thinks it best that her husband not know. Through her flashbacks, we learn that Sun's romance with Jin started off sweet and cuddly, but when they got married, Sun's criminal father made his new son in law work for him. "Work" includes conspicuous beatings and/or murders, as we learn when an upset Jin storms in covered in blood, a clear sign for Sun that it might be time to back out of the marriage.

It comes down to the wire. She's presented with an opportunity to escape, but instead decides to go with Jin on the doomed flight when she see's just a litle of what she loves about him still left in there.

Besides the Korean couple, we also get to learn a little more about Hurley, Claire, and interestingly enough, Charlie, who has faded from show star to background character in just three short episodes. Locke, who has undergone a dramatic change ever sicne he saw that monster thing, has found out about Charlie's drug addiction, and sets off to help, for reasons we don't really understand.

House of the Rising Sun is definately a decent episode. We learn a lot about people we knew nothing about before, but still don't know enough about anyone. The island story is slowly becoming boring, as the writers throw one mystery after another at us without any interest in pointing us in the right direction. Let's just hope it pays off.

FINAL SCORE: 8.0
    SUMMARY: Several good character moments fill this episode, making it a somewhat intense and emotional look at some of the island's previously ignored inhabitants.
  • Good episode…though it did leave me wanting to find out more about Charlie.

I thought that I wasn’t going to like this episode very much because I was even less interested in Sun and Jin than Jack, but that was before this episode. You had to think that they were going to have the hardest time on the island than even Claire mainly because they knew no English (although, Jin does know how to catch fish and Sun knows about wild vegetation). That has all changed. We learn that Sun does know English and it wasn’t because they taught it to her in school. She was going to try to disappear off of the face of the Earth. The plot seemed weak until we see Jin come home with blood on him and we find out that Sun wants to leave Jin. Something big is going to happen when Jin finds out that Sun knows English and I wonder when the rest of the camp will find out and how they are going to reach. There was a very interesting confrontation between Charlie and Locke. I really want to find out how he going to deal with letting go of his heroin addiction. I also want to find out what’s going to happen now that the camp is split in two (caves and beach).
  • Come on now, tell me you don't love Yunjin Kim. So hot and such a great actress.

This is one of those rare episodes where every single flashback scene was excellent and entertaining. Bravo.

Strengths
    -Sun is just so great.
    -Great opening flashback scene between her and Jin.
    -Awesome fight scene between Michael and Jin! Great spear move and wicked punches. Sayid's spear on Jin was great too. Nice job Lost.
    -I'll admit that Charlie was pretty funny this episode.
    -Great scene when Jin said that Sun's father accepted him.
    -Cool bit with Jin coming in covered in blood.
    -Again, Locke delivered with his scenes with Charlie. He's the best character on the show.
    -And Hurley was great. You know, this show has a lot of kickass characters.
    -Wtf moment at Sun speaking English to Michael.
    -Great little reuniting scene between Sun and Jin in the airport.
    -And the best one of them all......Hurley listening to Willie Nelson! Yes!

Weaknesses
    -Oh God, more cheesy Jack dialogue.

Great flashbacks, great character moments. If only some more things had happened on the island, this could've gotten at least a 9 from me. Great episode nonetheless.
  • "Remember when all you had to give me was a flower?"

Sun’s words are very poignant when she says them to Jin, and they sum up the point of the flashbacks. The flashbacks themselves in this episode are actually very daring for a couple of reasons. First, they are entirely in Korean, which is a bold move for a primetime show to make. It works perfectly, though, and you really feel that you’re in South Korea. The other reason the flashbacks are a bit of a departure from previous ones is that they focus on a character that has not had a very prominent role up to this point. Most people were expecting a Sayid episode, or a Charlie episode, or maybe even a Sawyer flashback. The last thing anyone was waiting for was a trip into the past of Sun. That wasn’t the only thing we weren’t expecting, though.

This episode is a fine episode, but definitely not perfect. The attack on Michael seems forced, at best, as if the writers were just looking for a reason to flashback to Sun’s past. Obviously, they needed to reveal that Sun spoke English early on, so it didn’t seem too ridiculous, but Jin nearly killing Michael over a watch purely out of a sense of honor is still a little laughable, as Jin is clearly no samurai, with a code of bushido to follow. It’s also strange that Jin tries to murder Michael instead of just taking the watch back, maybe after punching him a little bit.

The flashbacks are also a little harder to follow than previous episodes’ as they take place over a period of several years, instead of events that happen relatively closely together. As Sun and Jin’s past is explored more in later episodes, the flashbacks will make more sense. They do seem a little jumbled together here, although the emotional content of them is certainly there. In flashback tradition, they also introduce a little mystery to keep us waiting for another episode. What exactly is Jin doing for Sun’s father? What kind of job would result in having your hands covered in someone else’s blood? Daniel Dae Kim and Yunjin Kim are both excellent in this episode. Daniel is just menacing enough to make you have a slight fear of Jin, but not overtly evil. Yunjin also plays Sun very well, especially when she reveals to Michael that she speaks English. It’s also good to know that both actors will only get better as the series goes on.

Sun telling Michael her secret leads to another one of my problems with this episode. For the first five episodes, we’ve seen Michael and Sun together almost as much as we’ve seen Michael and Walt. Their relationship obviously justifies why Sun goes to Michael with her secret, but their relationship doesn’t really go anywhere after this. Michael will go on to develop a closer relationship with Jin, while Sun basically drops out of the picture. After developing such a bond between Sun and Michael, it’s strange why they’re rarely involved with each other at all after this point.

The other plot of this episode is far more important to the ongoing story. Jack and Kate’s relationship (he was totally checking her out) is funny to watch, especially when Jack tries to worm his way out of what he was truly thinking. Conversely, Matthew Fox’s acting in the scene when he tells Kate that they should live in the caves is painful to watch. Sorry, Matthew! The “split” in the camp is also something new and unexpected, which is exactly what the show needed at this point. Watching a group of people stand around on a beach looking for boats and planes gets tiresome very quickly, and it’s smart of the producers to change that up relatively early. It’s also interesting to note who’s an “optimist” and who’s a “pessimist.” Jack, Charlie, Locke, Hurley, Jin, and Sun all go to the caves. Kate, Sayid, Sawyer, Michael and Walt all stay on the beach. Boone, Shannon, and Claire don’t make an appearance in this episode, although they all stay on the beach as well. The ideological split between Sayid and Jack is unexpected, as they have usually been allies up to this point. That, also, is a refreshing change of pace.

Locke’s faith shines very brightly in this episode. He even says so (“I have faith”) to Charlie at one point. Dom Monaghan, by the way, is hilarious again in this episode, especially with his “I’d have said C’s” line. While Locke’s attitude toward life is nothing new, Charlie swapping his drugs for his guitar is a huge step for him, virtually guaranteeing him the next flashback episode. Until the next episode, all we can do is speculate about what will happen, especially with the introduction of Adam and Eve, the skeletons in the cave. It’s the first time we’ve seen other people on the island, even though the viewer dismisses it just as Charlie does. How wrong we’ll be.

House of the Rising Sun is not a bad episode by any means. Michael Giacchino’s score is absolutely sensational, and the emotional content that the flashbacks generate, especially in Yunjin Kim’s face, is great. It has its faults, though, but they do not detract too much from the overall viewing.
  • Memories of a Geisha

Or rather Memories of a Mobster's Daughter. We are talking, of course, about Sun who turns out to be an amazing character though her flashbacks, where she marries Jin out of love and nearly abandons him out of loathing. The action that actually takes place on the Island is much less interesting, as Jack and Kate strip down to their skins just before discovering two other of the Island's inhabitants stripped down to their bones. -

Fortunately, this episode was less jackish (that's not a word) that the previous one. This time, we get to learn more about Sun, the extremely prim and obviously tormented Korean woman, whose backstory is much more interesting than the ones of Jack and Kate (although it doesn't top Locke's superb 'Walkabout'). The flashbacks are excellent but the score is brought down by the action that takes place on the Island, which is much less interesting and much more jackish (again, that's NOT a word).
  • Listen closely, there are secrets to be told

Because we haven't been able, for the most part, to understand anything the Korean couple--- who are identified as Jin and Sun by this episode--- have been saying, I had begun to wonder how the writers were possibly going to integrate into the show. 'This episode gives a very visual demonstration, tells us some of their backstory, and reveals a couple of big secrets in the process.

Until now, we've assumed that Jin was the powerful one in the relationship. In fact, Jin was actually marrying up when he won Sun. Jin was a basically a warm man who ended up working for the wrong person. Even more unfortunately, that person was Sun's father. Though we never see him in this episode, the implication is that Sun's father had some kind of involvement in organized crime. The cost of Sun's hand was to work for her father, and that led to long hours, a gradual distance, and finally, a night when he came home spattered with blood. Sun was never supposed to be on Oceanic Flight 815--- she had planned to slip away from him at the airport, and fake her own death. But at the last moment, she couldn't leave him. The obvious response was battered wife syndrome, but based on what we see, it's clear that Sun still loves her husband. And, though we don't know it yet, a big part of this series, will be about Jin and Sun falling in love again.

All of this is reflected on the beach in the beginning of the episode, when Jin attacks Michael, and basically tries to kill him. He is only stopped when Sawyer and Sayid pull them apart, and Jin is handcuffed to the fuselage. It seems impossible figuring out why, and there is a moment of ugliness where Michael tells them that Asians and blacks just don't get along. This is a pretty low point for Michael, no matter how he tries to soothe Walt's unease.

We don't understand why until an unlikely source talks to him---- Sun. Learning that she speaks English isn't as big a shock as, say, Locke's secret, but it gives you a hell of a turn anyway It certainly unsettles Michael, but he has enough good sense to keep her secret. However, he still bears Jin a lot of ill will when he finds out why. While sorting through the wreckage, Michael found a very expensive watch, and took it for himself. He didn't know it belonged to Sun's father, which made a token of honor in Jin's eye. Michael returns the watch, but he's major pissed, and he demonstrates when he uses an ax to cut Jin free. (In a nice bit of continuity, one of the cuffs will remain on Jin's wrist for the rest of the season, not getting removed until… well, we'll get to that later)

All of this is interesting, if a little primitive. Then again, we are on an island. A far more pressing story is going on concurrently. As he promised in the last episode, he leads a party to get water, and explore the caves. This party consists of Kate, Locke and Charlie. We're not sure why Charlie is so eager, and he's not in a great mood--- he calls Kate and Jack's open flirting 'verbal copulating', and Locke as the "Great White Hunter". His mood is not improved when while exploring the caves, he accidentally stands on a beehive. Despite their best efforts, the bees end up breaking loose, causing a general panic. While trying to escape, Kate and Jack find something far more interesting--- two skeletons with withered clothes hanging from their bones. And just by the app0earance, they could've been there for half a century. (I'm still not sure who exactly these people are, maybe we'll get some answers now.)

Jack then raises the issue that the survivors should move to the caves--- it has access to fresh water, jungle canopy providing shade, the cave protecting them against predators. The fact that it would put them right in the middle of whatever that 'monster' is doesn't cross his mind, but then again, no one's really safe from that. However, Jack doesn't get a unanimous consent for this. Sayid, for example is openly hostile to the idea, refusing to give up the idea of rescue. Michael agrees--- getting Walt off this island is his first priority. The bigger surprise is Kate. Given everything that rescue probably means, one would think she'd prefer to stay, but for some reason, she can not dig in. From now on, there is going to be a break between the survivors, though we don't know it.

While Kate and Jack bring the water back, Locke stays behind with Charlie, presumably to get to know him, but really to help. First, he surprises him by telling him that he recognizes Charlie from Drive Shaft. Even in his frazzled state, Charlie still gets pleasure out of this, and admits he's just as upset that he's missing his guitar, which he assumes he got lost in the wreckage. Finally, he confronts Charlie openly, telling him to hand over the drugs. Clearly he recognizes withdrawal when he sees it. Then he tells Charlie that the island might help him, but only if he gives something up. Again, we're inclined to dismiss this--- except moments after Charlie hands over his stash, he looks up and finds his guitar. Charlie's not out of the woods by a long shot, but this is his first step to freedom, after a fashion.

Considering that they're balancing several important stories, it's pretty impressive the way this episode manages to juggle them all. True, there's no sign of Claire (Emilie De Ravin's name isn't even in the credits) or Boone or Shannon, and Hurley's role is little more than a cameo. But there are good performance from almost everyone, particularly Yunjun Kim as Sun. I had never heard of her before this series (she was a major star in the Korean film industry), but her work is a revelation in the series. Sun is one of the most layered characters on the series, and considering that for most of the first season, we don't know what she's saying to anyone, this is a tough challenge, which she more than surpasses. I was more familiar with Daniel Dae Kim (he appeared on 24 and Angel prior to this series), but none of his previous work prepared me for this. To try and establish a character when dialogue is practically non existent is astonishing, ye he manages to do so, particularly in the earlier episodes. The two of them have a real chemistry and one wants them to find some kind of happiness, even if its stranded on this island

There are few things really wrong with the episode, save that it's getting a little tiresome for every 'Lost' to end with a musical montage. (This was an early flaw that has pretty much been fixed by the end of the first season) But at it's center is the fact the survivors, despite Jack's call for unity at the end of the last episode, are starting to fracture. And given what we found in the caves, maybe it's more than two groups on the island.

My score:8.6
  • More character and plot development.

I'm really glad that this episode focused on the Korean couple. I was really starting to dislike them, especially Jin. He is such an overbearing jerk to Sun. Once they showed his transformation, it all made sense.

I really liked how Sun was planning on leaving him, plus that opened the door for them to have her speak English. If they both didn't understand English for the entire season then they would be wastes of characters because they cannot interact or communicate with anyone on the island.

The plot continues to deepen. As soon as I saw the cave with the water supply I was thinking they could live there. Glad to see I'm on the same page as Jack. I would definitely move up there if I was on the island. Much safer than the beach, plus lets face it...they arent going to be rescued anytime soon.
  • Looks like Jin's got a problem with someone other then Sun.

This might be the first episode where we really start to figure out who sun and jin are. Not just because of the flashbacks, but because it really is the first time they're really involved with the other castaways and what's going on (not a good start) i mean you don't have to have a flashback to figure out who that person is, you could tell who Hurly is long before his flashback, but sun and jin were difficult because they were so iselated from the others.

I loved the start to this episode with Jin attacking Michael, it was like what the hell is he doing and wait who is this guy anyway (personality wise). And while sun is yelling for Jin to stop he gets tackled buy Sayid and cuffed to part of the wreckage. It also says something about the comunication between the two different languages, you see sun pointing at her wrist and speakin manderan and sayid assumes she's talking about the cuff, but she's acctually talking about the watch.

It really is a fantastic and mind blowing episode, it's one of those non comedy shows that's fun to watch. It also is amazingly well writen.

Michael- Great look whose come to chat (sarcastically)

Sun- I have to talk to you

Michael- You speak english?

LOST
  • Do or Die

Jean Día... 75? 14? 1809?

Sentado junto al fuego soy parte de esta ronda de fantasmas que buscan estrellas en las flamas. Todos pensando básicamente en lo mismo: "Y qué si no...?"
    Y qué si no vienen a buscarnos? Hace frío en los hombros, hay arena en las botellas. Y qué si no vuelvo a verte? Hoy recordé esa tarde en la que me dijiste, saliendo del hospital, que querías algo más de mí que un amigo. Y te besé y sentí lo mismo que ahora al escuchar las olas romper sobre las rocas. Miro a los ojos a Sayid y creo que la sonrisa en su cara y las lágrimas cayendo reflejan exactamente mi rostro. Te extraño universos.
  • Not as good as the last couple episodes, but still a very strong episode.

This episode has a nice look at the characters Jin and Sun's past, showing them from before they were married to when they get on the plane. There are a few revelations in there, which help to explain their characters, and one which was very surprising, but overall it wasn't as great as the last couple of episodes. Hopefully they expand on their stories in the future.

There were also a few interesting advancements in other parts of the story. One was a division between the survivors, and the other had to do with Charlie and his drug addiction. The division story was interesting, but could have been more interesting. It might still be in future episodes, but so far it hasn't really been anything that great. The story with Carlie is more interesting, and helps to set up the next episode. It also strengthens John's role as a kind of spiritual leader for the people, showing them what the island can give them.
  • Michael Vs Jin

This episode of Lost is a good episode with great charcter development like Sun who is in trouble with her marriage to Jin.Sun reveals in this episode that she can speak english but she has not told Jin.Jin reveals is bad side after he attacks michael for a watch.
    meanwhile Jack takes Kate, Charlie and Locke to the caves to collect water for the other survivours.Jack and Kate return to the camp to persuade the others to live in the caves but Kate doesnt want to live there either and stays.Jack takes some of the survivours to the caves.
    At the caves Locke knows Charlie is a herion addict and persuades him to give him the drugs for his guitar.
    In my opinion the best part about this episode is when Jin attacks Michael at the beach.
  • Holy crap Bees...

That's right bees, that scene has always bothered me, how the hell did Charlie manage to miss the bee hive? Well we will never know. Other than that this episode was a lot like White Rabbit when it comes to the flashbacks they are not the best but it is important to see Jin is kind underneath all that anger and that Jin and Sun were once happy. I enjoy the episode the Adam and Eve part was cool we still dont know for sure who those two bodies actually are. Michael was great in this episode, he hasn't done much so far so this was refreshing to see him in the centre of the action, What a shocker when Sun speaks English, highlight of the episode but the fight at the start was pretty awesome as well. The caves are cool and a good set for the first season kind of missed them during season two but the hatch set took up a lot of space. I enjoy Sun and Jin's relationship development during the series and they are the couple I like the best because of how far they have come since day one. Overall a decent episode better than White Rabbit but still one of the weakest episode so far.
  • Jin and Sun's backstory is explored.

After seeing this episode, I have to say that I thought that this episode was pretty good, but it's definitely not one of my all time favorite episodes of Lost. So far, I'm pretty intrigued by the characters Jin and Sun, but I wouldn't say that they stand out as two of my favorite characters on the show. One thing that I did really like about this episode was all of the stuff regarding Walt and Michael. So far, I'm been very intrigued by Walt and Michael as characters, so I really enjoyed their story line. I also really liked Charlie in this episode too. All things considered, I definitely wouldn't say that this was the best episode ever of Lost, but I thought that it was still pretty good.
  • Great Episode...

House of the rising Sun episode is a Sun Centric Flashback Episoe. At the start of the episode Jack decides to take Kate, Locke and Charlie to the Caves to get some more water. Meanwhile Micheal is on the Beach with Walt when all of a sudden he is attacked by Jin and beating up but is eventurally helped by Sayid and sawyer who handcuff Jin to a part of the plane. Back at the caves Locke refuses to take his eye of the suspicious charlie while jack and kate find two very old decomposed bodies one of which had two mysterious stones in his pocket. Back on the beach the other losties try and find out why Jin attacked Mike, while micheal takes his anger by chopping wood when he is interupted by Sun who asks for his help in ENGLISH...(in Suns FB it shows her and Jin happily in love but eventually there marriage begins to fall apart and it is revealed that sun learned english so she could run away on thier holiday in australia, but she changed her mind on the last miniute.) As Jack and Kate make thier way back to the beach, Jack suggest that the losties move to the caves, meanwhile back at the caves Locke confronts charlie about his drugs and presudes him to give them up and helps charlie find his guitar. As jin continued to be burnt on the beach Micheal comes up to him and relases him. The episode finishes with about half the Losties moving to the cave while the other half including Kate decide to stay on the beach instead of giving up hope of rescue.
  • Very good episode...

It is a great episode because we learn more about Sun and Jin, the Corean couple. But still, I felt like something was missing. Although the Flashbacks were not very entertaining, it was the kind of information we need to know. Obviously there are lots of questions that haven´t been answered, like how did Sun manage to learn english without Jin noticing? Or the fact that there may be other survivors on the island (regarding to previous episodes). But i was happy to know that there is "something" between Lack and Kate, the way they look at each other, the way they talk, etc. Something WILL happen between them.
  • Sun: "I need to talk to you."

Michael and Walt are standing on the beach when all the sudden Jin tackles Michael and begins beating on him. Sayid and Sawyer come running, and pull Jin off Sawyer, then handcuff him to a piece of the plane with the Marshall's handcuffs. Michael is bewildered that Jin attacked him, for no apparent reason.

Now it's Sun's turn to get her flashback episode. We discover that Jin had to ask permission from Sun's father to marry her. Sun's father is a very powerful business man, and Jin agrees to work for him and do whatever he asks of him. Jin and Sun get married, but as time goes on, both are unhappy, as Jin works so much. One night, Jin comes home with blood all over his hands. Sun questions what kind of work he does for her father, and Jin says he does whatever he asks of him. We find out that Sun planned to leave Jin at the Sydney airport, but decided not to.

Sun goes to Michael, in the jungle, and utters her first words of English on the island. Turns out she learned English when she was planning to run away from Jin. She tells Michael Jin attacked him for a watch Michael had found on the beach, which Jin was taking to L.A. Michael gives him the watch back and cuts the handcuffs off.

Meanwhile, Jack, Kate, Locke, and Charlie go back to the caves to get water. Locke finds out that Charlie is on herion, and convinces him to hand it over to him in exchange for his guitar. And Jack has trouble convincing everyone to move to the caves, so the survivors break up into two groups, one of the beach and another in the caves.

A lot happens in this episode. The plot advances along nicely, and finding out Sun speaks English was a minor shocker. But some parts of this episode were slightly boring, namely the Sun flashbacks, which were important to the plot, but not terribly exciting to watch.
  • where did all the wild deadly animals go? don't tell me that Locke killed them because i don't believe that.

looks like there's gonna be two groups of people now. the people who are planning on trying to survive and the people who are hoping for rescue. good episode. The reflection of the Koreans was pretty stupid and is only gonna be relevant for this episode. not really sure where the producer was going with that. I guess he just wants to develop each character in each episode. which would make sense if they plan on going a long distance with this show. looks like kate wants jack. but he's too busy focusing on surviving even though deep down he wants her too because he's always looking out for her. i say they have a naked romp in the forest
  • This episode was very good.

This episode was well done. It gave some interesting background to the Koreans, Jin and Sun. The flashbacks are back on form. They provide a good story for Jin and Sun. I was especally intreaged by what it was Jin did for Sun's father that made him bloody. I wondered if he was a hitman. It certainly made it beleavable that Sun was afraid of him.

Another thing these flashbacks do is make even secondary characters seem interesting. Like Locke and Kate, there's more to the characters than meets the eye. That's the strength of the flashbacks.

The Island story isn't as interesting. I mean why do they have to either live on the beach or live on the caves? Can't they find a middle ground? Like have a small rotaion of people on the beach?

Although Locke discovering Charlie being a drug addict was good. It looks like they could make that character interesting that way.
  • Bring your glasses for this one, it's subbed. Yet another great episode though.

We finally learn a little bit about our Korean friends on the island, and a well orchastrated fight scene help to give us a bit of direction on the storyline.

Although this episode appears to be about the two Koreans in general, it's actually about Sun and her life before the plane crash. At the end we're left with quite a few questions about the couple, but they are brought back into focus when Jin gets his episode.

The episode is set against the back drop of a political movement set in motion by Jack. He begins making rounds to convince people to move camp, while Kate, Sawyer, and Sayid have a different point of view. The final moments of the show are also quite important because they introduce new conflict that will have to be resolved in a later episode.

The Korean storyline is not quite as action packed as Sawyer's or Charlie's, and not quite as interesting as Locke's or Jack's, but it's still not painful to watch. Basically a strong episode, but nothing of extreme genius happens here.
  • Charlie: The great white hunter's getting restless.

Some of the survivors move to the caves, while some stay at the beach. Locke exchanges Charlie's heroin for Charlie's guitar. Jin attacks Michael because Michael has Jin's father-in-law's watch, however only Jin's wife Sun knows this because they do not speak English. Jin is handcuffed to the wreckage. Sun reveals to Michael that she can speak English and explains why Jin attacked Michael and Michael frees Jin. Flashbacks show that Jin had to take a job working for Sun's father for Sun's hand in marriage. One night after they're married, Jin returns home covered in someone else's blood. Sun secretly plots to leave Jin, however, she changes her mind in the end. This episode was simular to the prevous. 9.1 out of 10.
  • Wow, this is my longest review ever! 700 words!! So moving, great character developement..........

Ya, I quite liked this episode. We knew nothing about Jin and Sun before this.We also see that the groups start to take sides.
    The episode starts off with Sun watching some of the survivors setting off to get water.
    She has a flashback, we see her at a party, where Jin is a drink server.Sun later tells him she wants to move to America.
    Jin tells her they shouldn't elope because they'll get caught by her father.
    Suddenly back on the island, we see Jin who runs to Michael and knocks him to the floor.He starts beating him really badly in the water.
    Luckily Sayid and Sawyer arrive in time and save Michael. As Jin struggles, they handcuff him to the plane.
    Meanwhile Kate,Jack,Charlie and Locke are at the caves where there's a waterfall.Charlie sneaks off but Locke follows him and tellls him not to move.
    There's a beehive under him.Kate and Jack go look for something to cover it up.
    On the beach, they investigate why Jin attacked Mike.
    Sun has another flashback, this time we see Jin telling her that they have her father's permission to marry.
    However, Jin must work for him in exchange.Meanwhile, Charlie startles the bees and they chase after everyone.Kate and Jack run away and land in a cave.
    In there they find two rotted corpses. A man and a woman -Adam and Eve.
    Jack pulls a small pouch off of one and opens it, revealing two small stones, one black and one white. Locke and Charlie find them and see the corpses.
    We see Sun put herbs on Jin's cuts and then has another flashback.We see her n her apartment with a puppy Jin bought for her.
    She then asks him if he remembers when all he could give her was a flower, but her father calls Jin's cell phone before he can answer her.
    Back at the caves,Jack decides they should bring everyone to the caves to live.
    Meanwhile Mike finds out Walt knows nothing about him.
    Sun begs Jin to let her explain why he attacked Michael, but he won't let her. In another flashback, the puppy is now grown, and Jin arrives home angrily. He goes into the bathroom and she follows. She then sees blood on his clothes and asks what happened. When he doesn't reply, she realizes that the blood isn't his. He then says that he was working and she asks what he does for her father. He tells her that he does whatever her father wants him to do.
    Meanwhile we see Charlie wander off and we see Locke is following him.Locke tells Charlie he knows who he is.
    He knows he was in Driveshaft.We also see that Sayid disagrees with Jack about moving to the caves.
    Jack and Sayid recruit people for staying or going.When Sun sees Michael chopping wood, she walks closer and has a flashback of talking to a home decorator. She and the decorator then go into the bedroom and talk, revealing that she isn't a home decorator, but is actually helping Sun leave the country! The plan is to make it look like Sun has been kidnapped and is dead. As the flashback ends, Sun walks up to Michael and says she needs to talking to him, in English! Michael is in shock and Sun tells him how Jin doesn't know she speaks it.
    She then tells him that Jin has an angry temper and that the attack was a misunderstanding. It turns out that the watch Michael is wearing, which he found two days earlier, belonged to Sun's father, and protecting it is and honor to Jin. She then asks Michael for help.Elsewhere, we see Locke following Charlie everywhere.Locke knows about his drugs.
    He asks him if Charlie wants his drugs more than his guitar.Charlie chooses the guitar and looks up.
    He spots the guitar and gives a big smile!Kate also tells Jack she's staying at the beach.
    Michael lets Jin free and tells him he knows about the watch.
    As Charlie is playing his guitar that night in the cave, Jack, Hurley, Sun, Jin, and the others arrive at their new home and settle in. Back on the beach, Sawyer, Kate, Michael, Walt, Sayid, and the others sit quietly around a bonfire. The episode ends realy well, we see Hurley listening to the beautiful song "Are you sure".
    The episode was really moving, I loved it.

Another superb installment of Lost with a lot of character development. I love all the story line tie ins between episodes like zooming out of Jack complaining about the casket to Sun looking at Jin behind him, it was just great to see.

It was fantastic delving in to Sun & Jin's twisted relationship, the theme that returns is "everything happens for a reason." If Sun would have ran away, she would have never been in the plane crash. I'm liking the playful yet serious Jack & Kate relationship.

The Locke & Charlie interactions were incredible: "Look up." We just got a very entertaining episode here with a lot of noteworthy scenes. Can't wait for the next installment.
< 1 2