Lost

House of the Rising Sun

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Oct 27, 2004 on ABC

• Another great one!

Well, After a rewatch of this episode, I've realized how much that I have underrated it. It was by no means perfect, but it had a really good story; and finding out Sun and Jin's story was cool. Its funny how different those characters are now. So we meet "Adam and Eve" in this episode. I've heard Damon and Carlton before saying that they will play a part in the timeline of the island. I thought this line by Michael was interesting, "Time doesn't matter on a damn island!!" Charlie was hilarious in this episode. "I'd have thought C's actually" haha! He also cracked me up when he called Locke the "Great White Hunter". I really like Locke in this episode too. "What I know is that this island might just give you what you're looking for, but you have to give the island something." Locke- you're too awesome! I'd say everything about the episode was great, except for the ending. I really didn't like the song.

Another superb installment of Lost with a lot of character development. I love all the story line tie ins between episodes like zooming out of Jack complaining about the casket to Sun looking at Jin behind him, it was just great to see.

It was fantastic delving in to Sun & Jin's twisted relationship, the theme that returns is "everything happens for a reason." If Sun would have ran away, she would have never been in the plane crash. I'm liking the playful yet serious Jack & Kate relationship.

The Locke & Charlie interactions were incredible: "Look up." We just got a very entertaining episode here with a lot of noteworthy scenes. Can't wait for the next installment.
  • Awesome.

Some of the survivors move to the caves, while some stay at the beach. Locke exchanges Charlie's heroin for Charlie's guitar. Jin attacks Michael because he has Jin's father-in-law's watch; however, only Jin's wife Sun knows this because they do not speak English. Jin is handcuffed to the wreckage. Sun reveals to Michael that she can speak English and explains why Jin attacked Michael, after which Michael frees Jin. Flashbacks show that Jin had to take a job working for Sun's father for her hand in marriage. One night, after they are married, Jin returns home covered in someone else's blood. Sun secretly plots to leave Jin; however, she changes her mind in the end. I love Kate, Jack and Charlie in the first season, they are the best - however Charlie rules over them though. So we learn about Sun and Jin. Michael and Jin have a fight - preety good one too. I love the scenes where Jack, Kate, Chalie and Locke are around the caves - so good!
  • Holy crap Bees...

That's right bees, that scene has always bothered me, how the hell did Charlie manage to miss the bee hive? Well we will never know. Other than that this episode was a lot like White Rabbit when it comes to the flashbacks they are not the best but it is important to see Jin is kind underneath all that anger and that Jin and Sun were once happy. I enjoy the episode the Adam and Eve part was cool we still dont know for sure who those two bodies actually are. Michael was great in this episode, he hasn't done much so far so this was refreshing to see him in the centre of the action, What a shocker when Sun speaks English, highlight of the episode but the fight at the start was pretty awesome as well. The caves are cool and a good set for the first season kind of missed them during season two but the hatch set took up a lot of space. I enjoy Sun and Jin's relationship development during the series and they are the couple I like the best because of how far they have come since day one. Overall a decent episode better than White Rabbit but still one of the weakest episode so far.
  • Memories of a Geisha

Or rather Memories of a Mobster's Daughter. We are talking, of course, about Sun who turns out to be an amazing character though her flashbacks, where she marries Jin out of love and nearly abandons him out of loathing. The action that actually takes place on the Island is much less interesting, as Jack and Kate strip down to their skins just before discovering two other of the Island's inhabitants stripped down to their bones. -

Fortunately, this episode was less jackish (that's not a word) that the previous one. This time, we get to learn more about Sun, the extremely prim and obviously tormented Korean woman, whose backstory is much more interesting than the ones of Jack and Kate (although it doesn't top Locke's superb 'Walkabout'). The flashbacks are excellent but the score is brought down by the action that takes place on the Island, which is much less interesting and much more jackish (again, that's NOT a word).
  • Sun Time!!!

Sun and Jin are the type of characters tha can be interesting as we progress in the season, but at this moment, their situation is not very interesting.

Sun flashbacks does not show too much. We know that she wanted to leave her husband, but she didn´t.

Contrary to some moments in the last episodes and since the beginning, the impression that Jin give us, is not the same in the flashbacks. He seems to love his wife and he is capable of doing what is necessary to make her happy.

Sun revelation is not big or something special, still can caught some audience by surprise.

Her flashbacks are incomplete, since we don´t know what type of job was Jin doing for her father and since they are a couple, Jin flashback will reveal that.
  • Listen closely, there are secrets to be told

Because we haven't been able, for the most part, to understand anything the Korean couple--- who are identified as Jin and Sun by this episode--- have been saying, I had begun to wonder how the writers were possibly going to integrate into the show. 'This episode gives a very visual demonstration, tells us some of their backstory, and reveals a couple of big secrets in the process.

Until now, we've assumed that Jin was the powerful one in the relationship. In fact, Jin was actually marrying up when he won Sun. Jin was a basically a warm man who ended up working for the wrong person. Even more unfortunately, that person was Sun's father. Though we never see him in this episode, the implication is that Sun's father had some kind of involvement in organized crime. The cost of Sun's hand was to work for her father, and that led to long hours, a gradual distance, and finally, a night when he came home spattered with blood. Sun was never supposed to be on Oceanic Flight 815--- she had planned to slip away from him at the airport, and fake her own death. But at the last moment, she couldn't leave him. The obvious response was battered wife syndrome, but based on what we see, it's clear that Sun still loves her husband. And, though we don't know it yet, a big part of this series, will be about Jin and Sun falling in love again.

All of this is reflected on the beach in the beginning of the episode, when Jin attacks Michael, and basically tries to kill him. He is only stopped when Sawyer and Sayid pull them apart, and Jin is handcuffed to the fuselage. It seems impossible figuring out why, and there is a moment of ugliness where Michael tells them that Asians and blacks just don't get along. This is a pretty low point for Michael, no matter how he tries to soothe Walt's unease.

We don't understand why until an unlikely source talks to him---- Sun. Learning that she speaks English isn't as big a shock as, say, Locke's secret, but it gives you a hell of a turn anyway It certainly unsettles Michael, but he has enough good sense to keep her secret. However, he still bears Jin a lot of ill will when he finds out why. While sorting through the wreckage, Michael found a very expensive watch, and took it for himself. He didn't know it belonged to Sun's father, which made a token of honor in Jin's eye. Michael returns the watch, but he's major pissed, and he demonstrates when he uses an ax to cut Jin free. (In a nice bit of continuity, one of the cuffs will remain on Jin's wrist for the rest of the season, not getting removed until… well, we'll get to that later)

All of this is interesting, if a little primitive. Then again, we are on an island. A far more pressing story is going on concurrently. As he promised in the last episode, he leads a party to get water, and explore the caves. This party consists of Kate, Locke and Charlie. We're not sure why Charlie is so eager, and he's not in a great mood--- he calls Kate and Jack's open flirting 'verbal copulating', and Locke as the "Great White Hunter". His mood is not improved when while exploring the caves, he accidentally stands on a beehive. Despite their best efforts, the bees end up breaking loose, causing a general panic. While trying to escape, Kate and Jack find something far more interesting--- two skeletons with withered clothes hanging from their bones. And just by the app0earance, they could've been there for half a century. (I'm still not sure who exactly these people are, maybe we'll get some answers now.)

Jack then raises the issue that the survivors should move to the caves--- it has access to fresh water, jungle canopy providing shade, the cave protecting them against predators. The fact that it would put them right in the middle of whatever that 'monster' is doesn't cross his mind, but then again, no one's really safe from that. However, Jack doesn't get a unanimous consent for this. Sayid, for example is openly hostile to the idea, refusing to give up the idea of rescue. Michael agrees--- getting Walt off this island is his first priority. The bigger surprise is Kate. Given everything that rescue probably means, one would think she'd prefer to stay, but for some reason, she can not dig in. From now on, there is going to be a break between the survivors, though we don't know it.

While Kate and Jack bring the water back, Locke stays behind with Charlie, presumably to get to know him, but really to help. First, he surprises him by telling him that he recognizes Charlie from Drive Shaft. Even in his frazzled state, Charlie still gets pleasure out of this, and admits he's just as upset that he's missing his guitar, which he assumes he got lost in the wreckage. Finally, he confronts Charlie openly, telling him to hand over the drugs. Clearly he recognizes withdrawal when he sees it. Then he tells Charlie that the island might help him, but only if he gives something up. Again, we're inclined to dismiss this--- except moments after Charlie hands over his stash, he looks up and finds his guitar. Charlie's not out of the woods by a long shot, but this is his first step to freedom, after a fashion.

Considering that they're balancing several important stories, it's pretty impressive the way this episode manages to juggle them all. True, there's no sign of Claire (Emilie De Ravin's name isn't even in the credits) or Boone or Shannon, and Hurley's role is little more than a cameo. But there are good performance from almost everyone, particularly Yunjun Kim as Sun. I had never heard of her before this series (she was a major star in the Korean film industry), but her work is a revelation in the series. Sun is one of the most layered characters on the series, and considering that for most of the first season, we don't know what she's saying to anyone, this is a tough challenge, which she more than surpasses. I was more familiar with Daniel Dae Kim (he appeared on 24 and Angel prior to this series), but none of his previous work prepared me for this. To try and establish a character when dialogue is practically non existent is astonishing, ye he manages to do so, particularly in the earlier episodes. The two of them have a real chemistry and one wants them to find some kind of happiness, even if its stranded on this island

There are few things really wrong with the episode, save that it's getting a little tiresome for every 'Lost' to end with a musical montage. (This was an early flaw that has pretty much been fixed by the end of the first season) But at it's center is the fact the survivors, despite Jack's call for unity at the end of the last episode, are starting to fracture. And given what we found in the caves, maybe it's more than two groups on the island.

My score:8.6
  • Do or Die

Jean Día... 75? 14? 1809?

Sentado junto al fuego soy parte de esta ronda de fantasmas que buscan estrellas en las flamas. Todos pensando básicamente en lo mismo: "Y qué si no...?"
    Y qué si no vienen a buscarnos? Hace frío en los hombros, hay arena en las botellas. Y qué si no vuelvo a verte? Hoy recordé esa tarde en la que me dijiste, saliendo del hospital, que querías algo más de mí que un amigo. Y te besé y sentí lo mismo que ahora al escuchar las olas romper sobre las rocas. Miro a los ojos a Sayid y creo que la sonrisa en su cara y las lágrimas cayendo reflejan exactamente mi rostro. Te extraño universos.
  • Brilliant

This is an outstanding beginning to the beginning of the Jin/Sun. The scene where they are standing in line at the airport and she is about leave when he pulls out the white flower is powerful and very emotional. Jin brining Sun the dog is also some great foreshadowing of their next episode. The confrontation between Locke and Charlie is also a great setup to 'The Moth'. This is also the first appearance of the skeletons. The producers did promise us that this would come into play later. The whole deal with Michael and the watch was great. It was interesting to see his relationship with Jin develop over the years from this episode. It wasn't at the time, but the Jin/Sun flashbacks are among my favorites now, and this episode had a lot going for it.
  • We have yet more character introductions, this time with Korean couple and some of the background information. But we also have some more questions that have arisen that needs answers, I'll just add those to the others.

Some things come to head and we see the Korean man attack the black man and then try to drown him, which is a bit bizarre but it is broken up and the korean man is then handcuffed to some plane wreckage until it can be explained.

The water crew do back into the jungle in order to get more water from the caved area, only for Charlie to stand on a beehive when he was trying to take some of his drugs. They end up getting out of the beehive and then talk about the water requirements, and the skeletons that they find in the caves. They then believe that the caves will be a better place for the survivors to settle.

Back on the beach, some of the others agree with the points regarding going to the caves, but then others are under the assumption that the beach is the best bet, so we are starting to get split decisions, as some belive they are better at following Jack.

The story of the Koreans gets more involved, as we learn that the hubby works for her father, who is powerful, possibly mafia orientated. We also learn that Sun has got a plan to get away from her hubby, but that she did not go through with it.

We also discover that Sun speak English, but that hubby doesn't know, but she explained to the Michael why her husband had attacked him this morning. Over her fathers watch. Then Michael returns the watch to the korean and chops his handcuff off.

Charlie ends up giving the drugs to John and manages to get his guitar back, so we finish off with a nice little song to end the episode.
  • "Our very own Adam and Eve" Episode 6 was the point where the writer's creative adrenalin was almost getting the better of them. It was time to slow things down.

After 5 outstanding episodes, all of which lay the foundations for the series, it was inevitable that things would start to slow up. The writers had given us 5 episodes of eye-popping action, effects, plot twists and monsters and now it was time to take the pedal off the metal. That's not saying that in doing so any quality is lacking from this episode. It is still a competant enough episode, and despite the fact that Lost is essentially about character, not mystery, the best episodes are those that mix both. This one sort of does that. There are plenty of better exceptions (Special, All the Best Cowboys have Daddy Issues, Deus Ex Machina and the Exodus finale), but this is one that tries to insert some mystery into things, namely the Adam and Eve skeletons found in the newly-found caves, which would play a pivotal part in the rest of Season 1.
    But this episode doesn't focus on mystery, the Adan and Eve plotline is brushed quickly aside and the character drama surrounding Jin and Sun is the order of the day.
    The pace of this episode is a little slower compared to previous episodes, and in the context of the series so far, that change of pace works. Whether you care about character plotlines enough to fully enjoy this episode is another thing, but somehow the writers always find some way of keeping the audience awake through the proceedings. This is event storytelling at its finest. This was the first of the purely character-based episodes of the series, of which there would be plenty more subsequently. The flashbacks are very emotionmal and Yunjin Kim does a fantastic job in making us sympathise with her. Interestingly enough in the later episode, ..In Translation, Daniel Dae Kim, who plays her husband, Jin, does the same thing and we end up sympathising with him instead. The Jin and Sun dynamic is very interesting. In this episode, as with previous ones, the audience is completely on Sun's side of the argument. Jin began as one of the most unpopular screen husbands on TV. But ..In Translation proved that it was six of one, half a dozen of the other, and the argument was balancing more evenly. You just had to synpathise with Jin.
    The Jin and Michael rivalry comes to a head in this episode, and it seems amazing to think that at the end of Season 1 they were more friendly toward each other. Okay, they don't become drinking pals, they still argue, but there is certainly more respect between them. Nothing major happens in this episode, in terms of plot points, and there is no attempt to throw in an action sequence, an effects shot, or the howl of the Monster. One of my favourite island moments from this episode, and I think it is my personal highlight, is when Charlie looks up to see his guitar, hanging above him. I think I cried with Charlie, being a guitarist myself, I would have had the same reaction.
    This is a good episode, not outstanding, as there isn't so much going on to make it stand out, but as a focused character piece, it is still enjoyable.
  • A very exciting, suspenseful and revealing episode!

This was an excellent follow up of 'White Rabbit'(last weeks episode)!
    The start of this episode showed us a little bit about Sun and jinn's past life in Korea just after they had met each other.

Then on the island Jin suddenly attacks Michael seemingly without provocation! Why did he do this? So Sayid handcuffs Jin to the wreckage until they knew why! I thought Michael was innocent even though he was the victim and was questioned about it. On the previous episode jack discovered 'the caves' so he took a group of survivors there to check it out where Locke found out that Charlie was using drugs. I thought It was funny how Charlie was stung by heaps of bees along with Locke. As for Jin and Sun, Sun told Michael that she speaks English! A new island mystery solved, and we find out that Michael was wearing Sun's father's watch which was why Jin attacked him! Then It was great how Michael went to Jin and threatened him to stay away from him and Walt.

The end was nice how Charlie gave up his drugs and gave them to Locke for his guitar which was sitting on a hill.
    So now half of the survivors are living at the caves and the other half at the beach. Overall a superb and revealing episode! Looks like the next episode will focus on Charlie's withdrawal from drugs!
  • Jin and Sun's backstory is explored.

After seeing this episode, I have to say that I thought that this episode was pretty good, but it's definitely not one of my all time favorite episodes of Lost. So far, I'm pretty intrigued by the characters Jin and Sun, but I wouldn't say that they stand out as two of my favorite characters on the show. One thing that I did really like about this episode was all of the stuff regarding Walt and Michael. So far, I'm been very intrigued by Walt and Michael as characters, so I really enjoyed their story line. I also really liked Charlie in this episode too. All things considered, I definitely wouldn't say that this was the best episode ever of Lost, but I thought that it was still pretty good.
  • A satisfying episode overall.

The characters develop further this time it is the korean couple's background that is explained. Locke discovers Charlies secret and he agrees to give up the drugs for his guitar. The scenes with the bea's nest is full of tension and adds suspence to the episode which otherwise focuses on character. Jack and kate's relationship also establishes further and there whole strategy for survival changes and this seperates the group. Something that i felt was bound to happen eventually. The episode paces itself well taking time to explain the characters past as well as having a good balance between the characters that are shown and what happens to them. So that each scenario in the episode whether it be Locke and Charlie, the Korean couple or Jack and kate, each have the perect amount of screen time and by the end, every short story is rounded up nicely. It may not be as strong as previous episodes but its satisfying overall. I feel the series has set up its tone now and settled into its own style so that you can seperate it from other series and it stands alone.
  • Not as good as the last couple episodes, but still a very strong episode.

This episode has a nice look at the characters Jin and Sun's past, showing them from before they were married to when they get on the plane. There are a few revelations in there, which help to explain their characters, and one which was very surprising, but overall it wasn't as great as the last couple of episodes. Hopefully they expand on their stories in the future.

There were also a few interesting advancements in other parts of the story. One was a division between the survivors, and the other had to do with Charlie and his drug addiction. The division story was interesting, but could have been more interesting. It might still be in future episodes, but so far it hasn't really been anything that great. The story with Carlie is more interesting, and helps to set up the next episode. It also strengthens John's role as a kind of spiritual leader for the people, showing them what the island can give them.
  • Charlie: The great white hunter's getting restless.

Some of the survivors move to the caves, while some stay at the beach. Locke exchanges Charlie's heroin for Charlie's guitar. Jin attacks Michael because Michael has Jin's father-in-law's watch, however only Jin's wife Sun knows this because they do not speak English. Jin is handcuffed to the wreckage. Sun reveals to Michael that she can speak English and explains why Jin attacked Michael and Michael frees Jin. Flashbacks show that Jin had to take a job working for Sun's father for Sun's hand in marriage. One night after they're married, Jin returns home covered in someone else's blood. Sun secretly plots to leave Jin, however, she changes her mind in the end. This episode was simular to the prevous. 9.1 out of 10.
  • You speak... english?

Much like "Tabula Rasa" this episode was focusing on the characters instead of the mythology. The best Lost episodes are always focusing on both elements of the show with a few expections. The Sun/Jin duo was always interesting, and they felt really "off", so it's not a surprise that they finally get an episode.

It's always nice to learn about different cultures,especially if they're portrayed with accuracy. I think in this case we can say that. The other important thing the flashback shed some light on is that Jin wasn't always a jerk that he is on the island. For me, the high point of the episode was Sun's reveal to Michael that he can speak english. That was really something I didn't see coming at all, and simply adds to the already dodgy relationship between Sun and Jin.

My biggest complaint is the ending. Last episode I found the musical montage a bit shakey, well, this time it was plain bad. The music wasn't fitting at all, and it's just not a good thing to top off a slow episode with an even slower montage in the end. Should've ended with a bang - in my opinion. Oh well, nonetheless, good episode, but nothing special.
  • Sun and Jin

This wasn't the best episode but it was a lot better than the previous episode white rabbit. This couple Sun and Jin were not my favorite. I had a feeling that Sun knew how to speak English, I was just waiting for her to reveal it. After this episode I was able to see why Sun and Jin were the way they were. I felt bad for her. She was trapped in a marriage that she didn't want to be in. I know that was a hard decision for her to stay. Much better episode that the last one. Good Job!
  • Much better than last episode!

Michael is brutally beaten by Jin. Others are puzzled as to the reason, but only Sun and Jin know why. Jack thinks that they should bring the people to the caves to live there as it is safe and there is unlimited water. They find dead bodies in the cave. Sayid and Sawyer don't think it is a good idea to go to the caves because a plane may go by, but if everyone is in the caves, the people in the plane won't know that. Kate also stays back with them. Locke finds out about Charlie's drugs. He makes Charlie hand it over for an exchange of his guitar. Sun approaches Michael and Michael is surprised to learn that Sun can speak English, although, Jin doesn't know it.

This episode was great! I liked the flashbacks and even they were mysterious! It really showed how Jin used to be a good guy until Sun's father's job turned him into a new person. Sayid and Jack are really good debators. My dad was literally saying that he wouldn't know where to choose: the caves or the beach because Jack made the caves sound really good, but Sayid had a big point about the planes. I think I would stay on the beach though. This episode gets a 10 out of 10!
  • "lost" its touch alittle

7.9
    When Jin Kwon attacks and beats Michael Dawson, the survivors defend Michael and arrest Jin with a handcuff. Dr. Jack Shephard, Kate Austen and Charlie Pace go to the water source to bring water for the other survivors, and Jack tries to convince the survivors to move to the caves nearby the source of water. The group splits in two, with part staying at the beach expecting to find some rescue – ship or plane. Meanwhile John Locke finds out that Charlie is addicted and takes his drugs.

This episode discloses the love story of Sun and Jin Kwon and the dark past of Jin. The communication between the Korean couple and the group improves when Sun reveals to Michael that she can speak English, but Jin does not know.
  • now we learn about Sun and Jin...

This episode is mainly about Sun and Jin, which are the only survivors that don't speak english, or do they? Micheal is attacked by Jin because of a watch, which has sentimental value. The flashbacks are composed of Sun and Jin's beginnings of their relationship and marriage. The flashbacks were a bit boring and drawn out, but they revealed a lot about both characters. The main story was a little annoying and stupid also. I liked when Sun revealed to Michael that she spoke english. I didn't like Jack's part of the episode; it was annoying and boring. Overall, ok episode.
  • Michael Vs Jin

This episode of Lost is a good episode with great charcter development like Sun who is in trouble with her marriage to Jin.Sun reveals in this episode that she can speak english but she has not told Jin.Jin reveals is bad side after he attacks michael for a watch.
    meanwhile Jack takes Kate, Charlie and Locke to the caves to collect water for the other survivours.Jack and Kate return to the camp to persuade the others to live in the caves but Kate doesnt want to live there either and stays.Jack takes some of the survivours to the caves.
    At the caves Locke knows Charlie is a herion addict and persuades him to give him the drugs for his guitar.
    In my opinion the best part about this episode is when Jin attacks Michael at the beach.
  • We might not understand what they are saying, but at least we know where Sun and Jin come from.

I love a show that keeps you guessing, which is most likely why I love Lost. Throughout the episode, you wonder why Jin is acting up so much toward Michael. You would never guess it was just because Jin wanted to do Mr. Paik's dirty work by getting the watch to Los Angeles. Still, it is not the main plot that brings the show together, it is the entire cast of diverse backgrounds and personalities, and this episode shows that overly well with the arguement of staying on the beach to hope for rescue or move to the water for easier survival. These confrontations with everyone involved displays exactly why this show is so popular.
  • "Remember when all you had to give me was a flower?"

Sun’s words are very poignant when she says them to Jin, and they sum up the point of the flashbacks. The flashbacks themselves in this episode are actually very daring for a couple of reasons. First, they are entirely in Korean, which is a bold move for a primetime show to make. It works perfectly, though, and you really feel that you’re in South Korea. The other reason the flashbacks are a bit of a departure from previous ones is that they focus on a character that has not had a very prominent role up to this point. Most people were expecting a Sayid episode, or a Charlie episode, or maybe even a Sawyer flashback. The last thing anyone was waiting for was a trip into the past of Sun. That wasn’t the only thing we weren’t expecting, though.

This episode is a fine episode, but definitely not perfect. The attack on Michael seems forced, at best, as if the writers were just looking for a reason to flashback to Sun’s past. Obviously, they needed to reveal that Sun spoke English early on, so it didn’t seem too ridiculous, but Jin nearly killing Michael over a watch purely out of a sense of honor is still a little laughable, as Jin is clearly no samurai, with a code of bushido to follow. It’s also strange that Jin tries to murder Michael instead of just taking the watch back, maybe after punching him a little bit.

The flashbacks are also a little harder to follow than previous episodes’ as they take place over a period of several years, instead of events that happen relatively closely together. As Sun and Jin’s past is explored more in later episodes, the flashbacks will make more sense. They do seem a little jumbled together here, although the emotional content of them is certainly there. In flashback tradition, they also introduce a little mystery to keep us waiting for another episode. What exactly is Jin doing for Sun’s father? What kind of job would result in having your hands covered in someone else’s blood? Daniel Dae Kim and Yunjin Kim are both excellent in this episode. Daniel is just menacing enough to make you have a slight fear of Jin, but not overtly evil. Yunjin also plays Sun very well, especially when she reveals to Michael that she speaks English. It’s also good to know that both actors will only get better as the series goes on.

Sun telling Michael her secret leads to another one of my problems with this episode. For the first five episodes, we’ve seen Michael and Sun together almost as much as we’ve seen Michael and Walt. Their relationship obviously justifies why Sun goes to Michael with her secret, but their relationship doesn’t really go anywhere after this. Michael will go on to develop a closer relationship with Jin, while Sun basically drops out of the picture. After developing such a bond between Sun and Michael, it’s strange why they’re rarely involved with each other at all after this point.

The other plot of this episode is far more important to the ongoing story. Jack and Kate’s relationship (he was totally checking her out) is funny to watch, especially when Jack tries to worm his way out of what he was truly thinking. Conversely, Matthew Fox’s acting in the scene when he tells Kate that they should live in the caves is painful to watch. Sorry, Matthew! The “split” in the camp is also something new and unexpected, which is exactly what the show needed at this point. Watching a group of people stand around on a beach looking for boats and planes gets tiresome very quickly, and it’s smart of the producers to change that up relatively early. It’s also interesting to note who’s an “optimist” and who’s a “pessimist.” Jack, Charlie, Locke, Hurley, Jin, and Sun all go to the caves. Kate, Sayid, Sawyer, Michael and Walt all stay on the beach. Boone, Shannon, and Claire don’t make an appearance in this episode, although they all stay on the beach as well. The ideological split between Sayid and Jack is unexpected, as they have usually been allies up to this point. That, also, is a refreshing change of pace.

Locke’s faith shines very brightly in this episode. He even says so (“I have faith”) to Charlie at one point. Dom Monaghan, by the way, is hilarious again in this episode, especially with his “I’d have said C’s” line. While Locke’s attitude toward life is nothing new, Charlie swapping his drugs for his guitar is a huge step for him, virtually guaranteeing him the next flashback episode. Until the next episode, all we can do is speculate about what will happen, especially with the introduction of Adam and Eve, the skeletons in the cave. It’s the first time we’ve seen other people on the island, even though the viewer dismisses it just as Charlie does. How wrong we’ll be.

House of the Rising Sun is not a bad episode by any means. Michael Giacchino’s score is absolutely sensational, and the emotional content that the flashbacks generate, especially in Yunjin Kim’s face, is great. It has its faults, though, but they do not detract too much from the overall viewing.
  • Wow, this is my longest review ever! 700 words!! So moving, great character developement..........

Ya, I quite liked this episode. We knew nothing about Jin and Sun before this.We also see that the groups start to take sides.
    The episode starts off with Sun watching some of the survivors setting off to get water.
    She has a flashback, we see her at a party, where Jin is a drink server.Sun later tells him she wants to move to America.
    Jin tells her they shouldn't elope because they'll get caught by her father.
    Suddenly back on the island, we see Jin who runs to Michael and knocks him to the floor.He starts beating him really badly in the water.
    Luckily Sayid and Sawyer arrive in time and save Michael. As Jin struggles, they handcuff him to the plane.
    Meanwhile Kate,Jack,Charlie and Locke are at the caves where there's a waterfall.Charlie sneaks off but Locke follows him and tellls him not to move.
    There's a beehive under him.Kate and Jack go look for something to cover it up.
    On the beach, they investigate why Jin attacked Mike.
    Sun has another flashback, this time we see Jin telling her that they have her father's permission to marry.
    However, Jin must work for him in exchange.Meanwhile, Charlie startles the bees and they chase after everyone.Kate and Jack run away and land in a cave.
    In there they find two rotted corpses. A man and a woman -Adam and Eve.
    Jack pulls a small pouch off of one and opens it, revealing two small stones, one black and one white. Locke and Charlie find them and see the corpses.
    We see Sun put herbs on Jin's cuts and then has another flashback.We see her n her apartment with a puppy Jin bought for her.
    She then asks him if he remembers when all he could give her was a flower, but her father calls Jin's cell phone before he can answer her.
    Back at the caves,Jack decides they should bring everyone to the caves to live.
    Meanwhile Mike finds out Walt knows nothing about him.
    Sun begs Jin to let her explain why he attacked Michael, but he won't let her. In another flashback, the puppy is now grown, and Jin arrives home angrily. He goes into the bathroom and she follows. She then sees blood on his clothes and asks what happened. When he doesn't reply, she realizes that the blood isn't his. He then says that he was working and she asks what he does for her father. He tells her that he does whatever her father wants him to do.
    Meanwhile we see Charlie wander off and we see Locke is following him.Locke tells Charlie he knows who he is.
    He knows he was in Driveshaft.We also see that Sayid disagrees with Jack about moving to the caves.
    Jack and Sayid recruit people for staying or going.When Sun sees Michael chopping wood, she walks closer and has a flashback of talking to a home decorator. She and the decorator then go into the bedroom and talk, revealing that she isn't a home decorator, but is actually helping Sun leave the country! The plan is to make it look like Sun has been kidnapped and is dead. As the flashback ends, Sun walks up to Michael and says she needs to talking to him, in English! Michael is in shock and Sun tells him how Jin doesn't know she speaks it.
    She then tells him that Jin has an angry temper and that the attack was a misunderstanding. It turns out that the watch Michael is wearing, which he found two days earlier, belonged to Sun's father, and protecting it is and honor to Jin. She then asks Michael for help.Elsewhere, we see Locke following Charlie everywhere.Locke knows about his drugs.
    He asks him if Charlie wants his drugs more than his guitar.Charlie chooses the guitar and looks up.
    He spots the guitar and gives a big smile!Kate also tells Jack she's staying at the beach.
    Michael lets Jin free and tells him he knows about the watch.
    As Charlie is playing his guitar that night in the cave, Jack, Hurley, Sun, Jin, and the others arrive at their new home and settle in. Back on the beach, Sawyer, Kate, Michael, Walt, Sayid, and the others sit quietly around a bonfire. The episode ends realy well, we see Hurley listening to the beautiful song "Are you sure".
    The episode was really moving, I loved it.
  • ...

A great episode, really interessting and intense with a great and entertaining cast with an amazing amount of suspense and energy put into the show!A great episode, really interessting and intense with a great and entertaining cast with an amazing amount of suspense and energy put into the show!A great episode, really interessting and intense with a great and entertaining cast with an amazing amount of suspense and energy put into the show!A great episode, really interessting and intense with a great and entertaining cast with an amazing amount of suspense and energy put into the show! A Must See Show!
  • Review

A little bit of tension ensues when Jack makes a hasty decision to move away from the beach, which leads to a disscussion between Jack and Sayid about which is the right course of action. I like the way the writers are making these characters interact with one anyother early on in the series. Everyone is sitll being careful and they are using strong "on screen connections"(Jake and Kate, Locke and Charlie) to their advantage and its really paying off for them I think. I thought the beginning of the episode was kind of shocking, with Michael getting run over by Jin for what seemed to be no reason. We find out in the end that it was over a watch, which forces Michael to throw it back at Jin. I dont think this show would be nearly as good without some tension between the losties, and I think tension could be the word to describe this episode. Overall I think this is one of the better episodes of season 1.
  • Great Episode...

House of the rising Sun episode is a Sun Centric Flashback Episoe. At the start of the episode Jack decides to take Kate, Locke and Charlie to the Caves to get some more water. Meanwhile Micheal is on the Beach with Walt when all of a sudden he is attacked by Jin and beating up but is eventurally helped by Sayid and sawyer who handcuff Jin to a part of the plane. Back at the caves Locke refuses to take his eye of the suspicious charlie while jack and kate find two very old decomposed bodies one of which had two mysterious stones in his pocket. Back on the beach the other losties try and find out why Jin attacked Mike, while micheal takes his anger by chopping wood when he is interupted by Sun who asks for his help in ENGLISH...(in Suns FB it shows her and Jin happily in love but eventually there marriage begins to fall apart and it is revealed that sun learned english so she could run away on thier holiday in australia, but she changed her mind on the last miniute.) As Jack and Kate make thier way back to the beach, Jack suggest that the losties move to the caves, meanwhile back at the caves Locke confronts charlie about his drugs and presudes him to give them up and helps charlie find his guitar. As jin continued to be burnt on the beach Micheal comes up to him and relases him. The episode finishes with about half the Losties moving to the cave while the other half including Kate decide to stay on the beach instead of giving up hope of rescue.
  • This episode is about Sun.

This episode is about Sun. Walt and the others are shocked when Michael is beaten, but only the non-English-speaking Jin and Sun know the truth behind the attack. Kate, Jack, Sawyer and Sayid argue about where the survivors should camp, on the beach, where they are more likely to be seen, or in a remote inland valley where fresh water is. Locke finally discovers Charlie's secret. My favorite part of this episode was when Charlie got his guitar back. My other favorite part of this episode was when Kate, Jack, Sawyer and Sayid argue whether or not to live on the shore or in the caves.
  • Jate is going to happen! There has never been an episode with chemistry so magical in the pathetic "Skate" world!

Even though it was Jin ans Sun flashback there were still very key moments that could never be any less than a perfect 10. Charlie had some hilarius quotes towards Jack and Kate whose love blossomed hugely in this episode. I loved it how Kate was teasing Jack about his tatoos and all the flirting that was going on! And such a key moment was when Kate caught Jack \"checking her out\". This episode along with others shows others just why LOST is the program to watch. Who cares about 24 when you can watch such a beautiful relationship blossom and admire the amazing chemistry between Jack and Kate. Jate is Fate.
< 1 2