Lost

House of the Rising Sun

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Oct 27, 2004 on ABC

• Listen closely, there are secrets to be told

Because we haven't been able, for the most part, to understand anything the Korean couple--- who are identified as Jin and Sun by this episode--- have been saying, I had begun to wonder how the writers were possibly going to integrate into the show. 'This episode gives a very visual demonstration, tells us some of their backstory, and reveals a couple of big secrets in the process.

Until now, we've assumed that Jin was the powerful one in the relationship. In fact, Jin was actually marrying up when he won Sun. Jin was a basically a warm man who ended up working for the wrong person. Even more unfortunately, that person was Sun's father. Though we never see him in this episode, the implication is that Sun's father had some kind of involvement in organized crime. The cost of Sun's hand was to work for her father, and that led to long hours, a gradual distance, and finally, a night when he came home spattered with blood. Sun was never supposed to be on Oceanic Flight 815--- she had planned to slip away from him at the airport, and fake her own death. But at the last moment, she couldn't leave him. The obvious response was battered wife syndrome, but based on what we see, it's clear that Sun still loves her husband. And, though we don't know it yet, a big part of this series, will be about Jin and Sun falling in love again.

All of this is reflected on the beach in the beginning of the episode, when Jin attacks Michael, and basically tries to kill him. He is only stopped when Sawyer and Sayid pull them apart, and Jin is handcuffed to the fuselage. It seems impossible figuring out why, and there is a moment of ugliness where Michael tells them that Asians and blacks just don't get along. This is a pretty low point for Michael, no matter how he tries to soothe Walt's unease.

We don't understand why until an unlikely source talks to him---- Sun. Learning that she speaks English isn't as big a shock as, say, Locke's secret, but it gives you a hell of a turn anyway It certainly unsettles Michael, but he has enough good sense to keep her secret. However, he still bears Jin a lot of ill will when he finds out why. While sorting through the wreckage, Michael found a very expensive watch, and took it for himself. He didn't know it belonged to Sun's father, which made a token of honor in Jin's eye. Michael returns the watch, but he's major pissed, and he demonstrates when he uses an ax to cut Jin free. (In a nice bit of continuity, one of the cuffs will remain on Jin's wrist for the rest of the season, not getting removed until… well, we'll get to that later)

All of this is interesting, if a little primitive. Then again, we are on an island. A far more pressing story is going on concurrently. As he promised in the last episode, he leads a party to get water, and explore the caves. This party consists of Kate, Locke and Charlie. We're not sure why Charlie is so eager, and he's not in a great mood--- he calls Kate and Jack's open flirting 'verbal copulating', and Locke as the "Great White Hunter". His mood is not improved when while exploring the caves, he accidentally stands on a beehive. Despite their best efforts, the bees end up breaking loose, causing a general panic. While trying to escape, Kate and Jack find something far more interesting--- two skeletons with withered clothes hanging from their bones. And just by the app0earance, they could've been there for half a century. (I'm still not sure who exactly these people are, maybe we'll get some answers now.)

Jack then raises the issue that the survivors should move to the caves--- it has access to fresh water, jungle canopy providing shade, the cave protecting them against predators. The fact that it would put them right in the middle of whatever that 'monster' is doesn't cross his mind, but then again, no one's really safe from that. However, Jack doesn't get a unanimous consent for this. Sayid, for example is openly hostile to the idea, refusing to give up the idea of rescue. Michael agrees--- getting Walt off this island is his first priority. The bigger surprise is Kate. Given everything that rescue probably means, one would think she'd prefer to stay, but for some reason, she can not dig in. From now on, there is going to be a break between the survivors, though we don't know it.

While Kate and Jack bring the water back, Locke stays behind with Charlie, presumably to get to know him, but really to help. First, he surprises him by telling him that he recognizes Charlie from Drive Shaft. Even in his frazzled state, Charlie still gets pleasure out of this, and admits he's just as upset that he's missing his guitar, which he assumes he got lost in the wreckage. Finally, he confronts Charlie openly, telling him to hand over the drugs. Clearly he recognizes withdrawal when he sees it. Then he tells Charlie that the island might help him, but only if he gives something up. Again, we're inclined to dismiss this--- except moments after Charlie hands over his stash, he looks up and finds his guitar. Charlie's not out of the woods by a long shot, but this is his first step to freedom, after a fashion.

Considering that they're balancing several important stories, it's pretty impressive the way this episode manages to juggle them all. True, there's no sign of Claire (Emilie De Ravin's name isn't even in the credits) or Boone or Shannon, and Hurley's role is little more than a cameo. But there are good performance from almost everyone, particularly Yunjun Kim as Sun. I had never heard of her before this series (she was a major star in the Korean film industry), but her work is a revelation in the series. Sun is one of the most layered characters on the series, and considering that for most of the first season, we don't know what she's saying to anyone, this is a tough challenge, which she more than surpasses. I was more familiar with Daniel Dae Kim (he appeared on 24 and Angel prior to this series), but none of his previous work prepared me for this. To try and establish a character when dialogue is practically non existent is astonishing, ye he manages to do so, particularly in the earlier episodes. The two of them have a real chemistry and one wants them to find some kind of happiness, even if its stranded on this island

There are few things really wrong with the episode, save that it's getting a little tiresome for every 'Lost' to end with a musical montage. (This was an early flaw that has pretty much been fixed by the end of the first season) But at it's center is the fact the survivors, despite Jack's call for unity at the end of the last episode, are starting to fracture. And given what we found in the caves, maybe it's more than two groups on the island.

My score:8.6
  • Another great one!

Well, After a rewatch of this episode, I've realized how much that I have underrated it. It was by no means perfect, but it had a really good story; and finding out Sun and Jin's story was cool. Its funny how different those characters are now. So we meet "Adam and Eve" in this episode. I've heard Damon and Carlton before saying that they will play a part in the timeline of the island. I thought this line by Michael was interesting, "Time doesn't matter on a damn island!!" Charlie was hilarious in this episode. "I'd have thought C's actually" haha! He also cracked me up when he called Locke the "Great White Hunter". I really like Locke in this episode too. "What I know is that this island might just give you what you're looking for, but you have to give the island something." Locke- you're too awesome! I'd say everything about the episode was great, except for the ending. I really didn't like the song.
  • Much better than last episode!

Michael is brutally beaten by Jin. Others are puzzled as to the reason, but only Sun and Jin know why. Jack thinks that they should bring the people to the caves to live there as it is safe and there is unlimited water. They find dead bodies in the cave. Sayid and Sawyer don't think it is a good idea to go to the caves because a plane may go by, but if everyone is in the caves, the people in the plane won't know that. Kate also stays back with them. Locke finds out about Charlie's drugs. He makes Charlie hand it over for an exchange of his guitar. Sun approaches Michael and Michael is surprised to learn that Sun can speak English, although, Jin doesn't know it.

This episode was great! I liked the flashbacks and even they were mysterious! It really showed how Jin used to be a good guy until Sun's father's job turned him into a new person. Sayid and Jack are really good debators. My dad was literally saying that he wouldn't know where to choose: the caves or the beach because Jack made the caves sound really good, but Sayid had a big point about the planes. I think I would stay on the beach though. This episode gets a 10 out of 10!
  • Looks like Jin's got a problem with someone other then Sun.

This might be the first episode where we really start to figure out who sun and jin are. Not just because of the flashbacks, but because it really is the first time they're really involved with the other castaways and what's going on (not a good start) i mean you don't have to have a flashback to figure out who that person is, you could tell who Hurly is long before his flashback, but sun and jin were difficult because they were so iselated from the others.

I loved the start to this episode with Jin attacking Michael, it was like what the hell is he doing and wait who is this guy anyway (personality wise). And while sun is yelling for Jin to stop he gets tackled buy Sayid and cuffed to part of the wreckage. It also says something about the comunication between the two different languages, you see sun pointing at her wrist and speakin manderan and sayid assumes she's talking about the cuff, but she's acctually talking about the watch.

It really is a fantastic and mind blowing episode, it's one of those non comedy shows that's fun to watch. It also is amazingly well writen.

Michael- Great look whose come to chat (sarcastically)

Sun- I have to talk to you

Michael- You speak english?

LOST
  • Memories of a Geisha

Or rather Memories of a Mobster's Daughter. We are talking, of course, about Sun who turns out to be an amazing character though her flashbacks, where she marries Jin out of love and nearly abandons him out of loathing. The action that actually takes place on the Island is much less interesting, as Jack and Kate strip down to their skins just before discovering two other of the Island's inhabitants stripped down to their bones. -

Fortunately, this episode was less jackish (that's not a word) that the previous one. This time, we get to learn more about Sun, the extremely prim and obviously tormented Korean woman, whose backstory is much more interesting than the ones of Jack and Kate (although it doesn't top Locke's superb 'Walkabout'). The flashbacks are excellent but the score is brought down by the action that takes place on the Island, which is much less interesting and much more jackish (again, that's NOT a word).
  • More character and plot development.

I'm really glad that this episode focused on the Korean couple. I was really starting to dislike them, especially Jin. He is such an overbearing jerk to Sun. Once they showed his transformation, it all made sense.

I really liked how Sun was planning on leaving him, plus that opened the door for them to have her speak English. If they both didn't understand English for the entire season then they would be wastes of characters because they cannot interact or communicate with anyone on the island.

The plot continues to deepen. As soon as I saw the cave with the water supply I was thinking they could live there. Glad to see I'm on the same page as Jack. I would definitely move up there if I was on the island. Much safer than the beach, plus lets face it...they arent going to be rescued anytime soon.
  • Good episode…though it did leave me wanting to find out more about Charlie.

I thought that I wasn’t going to like this episode very much because I was even less interested in Sun and Jin than Jack, but that was before this episode. You had to think that they were going to have the hardest time on the island than even Claire mainly because they knew no English (although, Jin does know how to catch fish and Sun knows about wild vegetation). That has all changed. We learn that Sun does know English and it wasn’t because they taught it to her in school. She was going to try to disappear off of the face of the Earth. The plot seemed weak until we see Jin come home with blood on him and we find out that Sun wants to leave Jin. Something big is going to happen when Jin finds out that Sun knows English and I wonder when the rest of the camp will find out and how they are going to reach. There was a very interesting confrontation between Charlie and Locke. I really want to find out how he going to deal with letting go of his heroin addiction. I also want to find out what’s going to happen now that the camp is split in two (caves and beach).
  • All of the characters who the show has been mysteriously shoving in the background suddenly get a time to shine. Plus, Charlie, who once seemed to be a main character but as of late joined the background crew, is thrown to the foreground as well.

Jin and Sun, the resident non-English speaking Korean couple, were the pair of characters that the show touched on less than anyone else. We saw Jin feed (well, try to) the Lostaways early on, we saw Michael catch Sun in the nude, and we've seen that Jin has some serious control issues with Sun. Other than that, their whole personalities have been left up to speculation. Until now.

House of the Rising Sun does something interesting. It gives us Jin and Sun's backstory, but only from Sun's point of view. This leaves two ends open: first, it means that sooner or later, we're gonna see Jin's side of the story, and we can bet it's gonna change everything we think of him after this one (which I must say is probably pretty negatively), and second, it allows us to have our first real villain amongst the ranks of the survivors (at least for now).

The episode begins when Jin mysteriously attacks Michael, in one of the most intense fistfights I've seen on network TV. Of course, as you probably guessed, it's all a misunderstanding, but Jin, who can't speak English, can't understand "What the hell are you doing?" and Michael, who can't understand Korean, can't understand "You stole my valuable watch", which is apparently what made Jin throw his tantrum.

Only Sun knows both truths, because as it is revealed to us and Michael but nobody else (even Jin) that she actually DOES know English, and thinks it best that her husband not know. Through her flashbacks, we learn that Sun's romance with Jin started off sweet and cuddly, but when they got married, Sun's criminal father made his new son in law work for him. "Work" includes conspicuous beatings and/or murders, as we learn when an upset Jin storms in covered in blood, a clear sign for Sun that it might be time to back out of the marriage.

It comes down to the wire. She's presented with an opportunity to escape, but instead decides to go with Jin on the doomed flight when she see's just a litle of what she loves about him still left in there.

Besides the Korean couple, we also get to learn a little more about Hurley, Claire, and interestingly enough, Charlie, who has faded from show star to background character in just three short episodes. Locke, who has undergone a dramatic change ever sicne he saw that monster thing, has found out about Charlie's drug addiction, and sets off to help, for reasons we don't really understand.

House of the Rising Sun is definately a decent episode. We learn a lot about people we knew nothing about before, but still don't know enough about anyone. The island story is slowly becoming boring, as the writers throw one mystery after another at us without any interest in pointing us in the right direction. Let's just hope it pays off.

FINAL SCORE: 8.0
    SUMMARY: Several good character moments fill this episode, making it a somewhat intense and emotional look at some of the island's previously ignored inhabitants.
  • "lost" its touch alittle

7.9
    When Jin Kwon attacks and beats Michael Dawson, the survivors defend Michael and arrest Jin with a handcuff. Dr. Jack Shephard, Kate Austen and Charlie Pace go to the water source to bring water for the other survivors, and Jack tries to convince the survivors to move to the caves nearby the source of water. The group splits in two, with part staying at the beach expecting to find some rescue – ship or plane. Meanwhile John Locke finds out that Charlie is addicted and takes his drugs.

This episode discloses the love story of Sun and Jin Kwon and the dark past of Jin. The communication between the Korean couple and the group improves when Sun reveals to Michael that she can speak English, but Jin does not know.
  • Overall good, but a few qualms keep it from a higher ranking.

As the stay becomes longer and longer, the group starts to shift from hoping for rescue to preparing for survival. Are these people ready to settle for long-term residence in a place better suited for them, or will they still cling to the hope of being rescued by the less hospitable shoreline? On top of this, they have to figure out how to function in their new society. Many of them are strangers, but what about those who knew each other before the crash? We have brother/sister, father/son and husband/wife. This episode covers the last dynamic as we see Sun's history with Jin. Initially, Sun and Jin are some of the more mysterious members of the castaways because of the language barrier. This is a helpful function of the flashbacks, because there isn't much way for us to learn about these characters besides their minimal interactions with other castaways.

An interesting, albeit risky, choice for Lost is the plotline heavy with subtitles. It’s rare on American TV to have a show with more than a few lines of dialogue, much less an entire subplot in a foreign language. They didn’t have a choice in the matter; all we knew was that neither of them spoke English, and to have them suddenly speaking it would’ve been confusing. Thankfully the critical and commercial success of Lost allowed them to do this.

One important part of Jin and Sun’s back story is the class struggle. Jin is lower class and Sun isn’t (originally I thought Sun was royalty). However, as love is, money doesn’t matter to them. All Jin needed to impress Sun was a flower. Later, although Jin can shower Sun with gifts, it comes at a price, and that is Sun's happiness in the relationship. Unfortunately, Sun’s social stature was made with blood money, and Jin becomes entwined in that world. Sun’s father is a shady businessman and Jin is out doing his dirty work, which we presume is awfully dark if it involves him washing blood off his suit! This brutal side corrodes their relationship to where it is now, but it is that brief moment with the flower that convinces her that there is a trace of the old Jin left in him, a fateful convincing.

This episode also shatters the illusion that Sun is a submissive housewife, which makes the episode’s title all the more fitting. Some did theorize that one or both of the Korean couple knew English this episode confirms to us that Sun does. Sun learning English without her husband’s knowledge helps add to the schism between the two.

We also see that Jin isn't just a domineering abusive husband. He has been a jerk to Sun and the rest of the castaways for most of the season to date, but he was also tender to Sun when they were courting. The only thing that kept Sun from going through on her plan to run was the brief glimpse of what she fell for; a sweet man who only needed to give her a flower. However, since then she has faced these unpleasant reminders of Jin since the crash, as Jin bashes a fish's skull in, followed by pummeling Michael on the shore, almost drowning him if it wasn't for Sawyer and Sayid. It is also worth noting that Daniel Dae Kim didn't know much Korean before taking the role, but his portrayal is so good that you wouldn't know it.

Michael’s confrontation gives way to his first substantial lesson for Walt. Unfortunately, Michael lets the heat of the scuffle get the best of him and his prejudices come out. He also learns that Walt knows nothing about him. Michael is definitely far from father of the year. While he appears to be trying there is a troubling underlying anger.

Which leads us to his haranguing of Jin before cutting him loose. There probably isn't a better place for him to unleash his frustration about his parenting skills and being stuck on this island. On a character heavy show like Lost, it is interesting to see this early part of Jin and Michael's relationship to where we are now, just finishing season two.

As we have seen before, there were several, easily negligible hints to why Jin attacked Michael. Sun tries to tell the other castaways his motive by pointing to her wrist, but Sayid dismissed it as a plea to let Jin out of the cuffs. Then in one scene we cut to the flashback where Sun is wearing the watch in question. Also, Michael didn’t have on a watch in the last episode.

There was some connection between Sun and Michael. The writers dropped hints of a potential romantic storyline early in the season. Therefore, it would make sense that she would intervene and confide in him her secret that she knows English. It is also telling of her beliefs of a long-term stay, which is nicely connected when she and Jin go to the caves to live. Although it will make sense for her to inform others of her bilingual capabilities so she can be a part of the group (and help Jin along too).

Onto the other plots, Locke’s moment with “the monster” was crucial to play out early in the season, as it gives him a reason to exist: to teach the other castaways what he supposedly gained from this encounter. The first person he decides to share this information with is Charlie. Locke makes an observation, while underplayed, becomes vital to the relationship he has with Charlie. Unlike anyone else, Locke actually knows who Charlie is and is a fan of his work. This helps Locke earn Charlie’s trust, since Charlie keeps dropping that he was in a band to people who don't care. For that reason, he's able to seize on the opportunity to help Charlie, who found himself on top of a beehive getting a fix.

The island mythology is delved into a little deeper with the discovery of “Adam and Eve”, the two corpses in the caves. With the French woman’s transmission and monster, they knew that there was more to this island, but with this, they are realizing that this island has a long history of weird events. Considering all the religious and spiritual symbols, calling them “Adam and Eve” is fitting, and could be interesting to see if anything develops from it. Also, what is with the black and white stones in the pouch?

The caves and Jack's insistence of it being a good shelter splits the group in two; those remaining on the beach for rescue and those seeking shelter in the caves. This is the biggest indicator of how people feel on the island. They must decide, after a week of waiting, whether to stay hopeful and wait for anyone to come by or to go to the best place they have for a sustainable shelter. Of course, we know that they’ll be there for a long time, but it offers some interesting character moments to see who decides to stay and who decides to go.

Kate's choice doesn't ring true for me. It feels like this is more to drive a wedge between her and Jack as well as increasing her time with Sawyer and Sayid (although the Sayid thing would be scrapped shortly). Things between Jack and Kate have gotten awfully close, but that means they had to jam the works, but couldn't it be better explained? What does Kate have to look forward to when they are rescued? She would have to answer for her crimes and be arrested again. Best case scenario is she lies and goes on the run when the rescue team hits a mainland. Perhaps she is only doing this to give the impression that she doesn't have this sinister past.

Sayid makes a great point, saying that this contradicts with Jack’s “live together, die alone” speech. While splitting the survivors into two groups goes against that, it is a definitive decision, which is a nice piece of continuity from last week, where Jack was struggling with decision making.

It would’ve been nice to see the reasons why Claire, Shannon and Boone decided to stay on the beach. Shannon staying makes sense, but perhaps Boone would’ve wanted to move to the caves in hopes that the long term stay would allow him to prove himself. Claire’s health scare would also be important to address. Even if she wanted to wait for rescue, her priority should be the kid growing in her and being near Jack would allow that.

Overall, this episode is almost as good as most of the episodes before it, but there are some things that hamper it, like that prolonged montage at the end, which felt like killing time (did we really need to see 2 minutes of it?) and Kate's weird out of character moment, that made more sense for the story than the character. However, giving the spotlight to characters who on nearly every other show would be prime fodder to be killed off or forgotten is welcome, especially this early in the season.
  • great episode

Michael gets attacked when he takes a walk in the forest. He comes back to safety but the only people who knows what happened to him are non english speaking jin and sun. Many of the survivors decide that they need to set up camp along the beach in case a rescue comes. The mystery in this episode shows as a little, a flashback of one of the main characters. It's a really nice episode. The writers made this really exciting. We're not really sure what's haunting the survivors, but there is something out there in the forest that's stalking them.
  • jin, sun and michael

daniel dae kim is one of my favorite character actors. i was very impressed with his work on 24 and angel. this episode showed a little history between jin and sun. it was revealed that jin was muscle for sun's underworld dealings and that he and sun were having marital problems. once again it was an episode that made me hate michael even more. but the real suprised was that sun could speak english.
  • Sun and Flowers

My favourite episode so far, I knew there was something about Sun and Jin and glad that they finally got some background and flashbacks. What a beautiful and sad episodes this was.

It begins with Jin and Sun at the beech, Sun is putting some flowers while Jin hunts fish, then he sees Walt and Michael and he runs over them and jumps on Michael, he beats him and tries to kill him but Sawyer and Sayid hold them apart. They chain him on a part of a plane.

Meanwhile Jack and the others at the water beech decide to stay there, they find some bodies that are there for a long while and think that it’s better to live there. Also Kate is definitely showing some crush singes but Jack doesn’t really respond.

The funny part of the episode was definitely the Charlie/Locke thing. First Charlie stands on bees and Locke tries to rescue him, and everytime Charlie goes into the jungle dear old Locke follows him. Locke also seems to know about his drug addiction and says that it will be time for him to quit and says that the jungle will give him back his guitar, Charlie gives his drugs to Locke and then looks up and sees his guitar (very cute moment btw)

Anyway, so everyone tries to find out why Jin tried to harm Michael, Michael says because of racism and Walt asks about that but Michael tells him to never mind. Also their character interactions are awesome and Walt doesn’t know his dad’s birthday but asks it later because now he wants to.

Anyway, back to Sun and Jin. In the past they were gonna get married but Jin didn’t have so much money so he went to work with her dad to earn the money. But as he continued they didn’t have so much time together and he bought her a dog. One day he came back and she saw him under blood and asks him about it but he doesn’t respond so she slaps him. He says that what ever he does, he does it for them.

Meanwhile Jack tells everyone about going to the water and Sayid is pissed about it, the ones who stay are waiting for the boats and meanwhile the others go into the jungle and so the group separates into two. Kate stays behind to pay for what she did, Jack asks her but she doesn’t tell ‘you had your chance to know’.

Anyway, Sun goes to Michael and explains why her boy is so pissed off, she tells him about the watch he found and that it was her father’s. Michael discovers about her English but Jin isn’t allowed to know. Anyway, Michael goes to Jin and cuts him lose after giving him the damn watch.

We learn that Sun was going to leave Jin and her dad to live her own life in America but when it’s time she can’t, se sees Jin with a flower and decides to go with him on the plane.

The end got me all teared up when that sad song played, everyone seemed to come full circle in the episode and it left me behind with exactly what I needed from this show.
  • Awesome.

Love this one a Sun and Jin ep. besides that Jack finds caves with water in it. Locke finds out about Charlie doing drugs and then he gives them up. People move to the caves. In the flasdhback/ this ep. we learn that Sun can speak english and thats because shewas going to leave Jin.
  • We might not understand what they are saying, but at least we know where Sun and Jin come from.

I love a show that keeps you guessing, which is most likely why I love Lost. Throughout the episode, you wonder why Jin is acting up so much toward Michael. You would never guess it was just because Jin wanted to do Mr. Paik's dirty work by getting the watch to Los Angeles. Still, it is not the main plot that brings the show together, it is the entire cast of diverse backgrounds and personalities, and this episode shows that overly well with the arguement of staying on the beach to hope for rescue or move to the water for easier survival. These confrontations with everyone involved displays exactly why this show is so popular.
  • Find out more about the character "Sun" and her secret she has kept from everyone. (CONTAINS NO SPOILERS)

My star rating: **** out of ****

You find out more about the strange yet interesting relationship between Sun and Jin. The flashbacks are focused mainly on Sun but do feature Jin in them.

It discusses: Sun's father, thier relationship, and many other things i will not spoil.

There is a plot twist in this episode that noone saw coming! It will leave you breathless and shocked. This is one secret that the creators kept quite for a while.
  • This episode is about Sun.

This episode is about Sun. Walt and the others are shocked when Michael is beaten, but only the non-English-speaking Jin and Sun know the truth behind the attack. Kate, Jack, Sawyer and Sayid argue about where the survivors should camp, on the beach, where they are more likely to be seen, or in a remote inland valley where fresh water is. Locke finally discovers Charlie's secret. My favorite part of this episode was when Charlie got his guitar back. My other favorite part of this episode was when Kate, Jack, Sawyer and Sayid argue whether or not to live on the shore or in the caves.
  • Flashback showing Jin and Sun.......Jack finds a cave with water and gets part of the group to move there with him.

I think the episodes with the Koreans are great! I think they are good actors!! I watched this episode in March of 06. I didn't catch it the first time around. Very good episode!
    I really liked it I need more words for this revie. What should I say next.
  • Brilliant

This is an outstanding beginning to the beginning of the Jin/Sun. The scene where they are standing in line at the airport and she is about leave when he pulls out the white flower is powerful and very emotional. Jin brining Sun the dog is also some great foreshadowing of their next episode. The confrontation between Locke and Charlie is also a great setup to 'The Moth'. This is also the first appearance of the skeletons. The producers did promise us that this would come into play later. The whole deal with Michael and the watch was great. It was interesting to see his relationship with Jin develop over the years from this episode. It wasn't at the time, but the Jin/Sun flashbacks are among my favorites now, and this episode had a lot going for it.
  • A satisfying episode overall.

The characters develop further this time it is the korean couple's background that is explained. Locke discovers Charlies secret and he agrees to give up the drugs for his guitar. The scenes with the bea's nest is full of tension and adds suspence to the episode which otherwise focuses on character. Jack and kate's relationship also establishes further and there whole strategy for survival changes and this seperates the group. Something that i felt was bound to happen eventually. The episode paces itself well taking time to explain the characters past as well as having a good balance between the characters that are shown and what happens to them. So that each scenario in the episode whether it be Locke and Charlie, the Korean couple or Jack and kate, each have the perect amount of screen time and by the end, every short story is rounded up nicely. It may not be as strong as previous episodes but its satisfying overall. I feel the series has set up its tone now and settled into its own style so that you can seperate it from other series and it stands alone.
  • ...

A great episode, really interessting and intense with a great and entertaining cast with an amazing amount of suspense and energy put into the show!A great episode, really interessting and intense with a great and entertaining cast with an amazing amount of suspense and energy put into the show!A great episode, really interessting and intense with a great and entertaining cast with an amazing amount of suspense and energy put into the show!A great episode, really interessting and intense with a great and entertaining cast with an amazing amount of suspense and energy put into the show! A Must See Show!
  • I must admit that i'm a fan of asian culture, but this chapter actually rocked! It's sad to see how the beautiful pure love Jin and Sun had for each other was changed by money and greed.

A chapter of many revelations. We see the history of Sun and Jin, the mysterious asian couple and how their love got corrupted to the point of betrayal and lying. They meet each other, she a high-class millonaire lady and he a humble guy from a fisherman family; but beyond that they fall in love and secretly gather whenever they can. The classes differences wouldn't let them be, but finally Jin takes courage to ask Sun's hand in marriage and surprisingly her father agrees on the condition of working for him. Over the time Jin works hard gaining his father-in-law confidence and makes enough money to give her anything she needs. What he can't see is that she already had all that stuff and that what she really wanted was him beside her and their love. Their relationship wastes to the point that she can't be around him anymore and plans to escape but in the last minute she gave them a second chance for their love's sake. Then we realize that all this time she could speak english but was hiding it because of Jin. Back at the beach there's a lot of thinking about giving up the hope of getting rescued and get to a better place in the caves or wait to be the first to be sighted in the beach by any rescue team, wich leads us to many separations.
  • We have yet more character introductions, this time with Korean couple and some of the background information. But we also have some more questions that have arisen that needs answers, I'll just add those to the others.

Some things come to head and we see the Korean man attack the black man and then try to drown him, which is a bit bizarre but it is broken up and the korean man is then handcuffed to some plane wreckage until it can be explained.

The water crew do back into the jungle in order to get more water from the caved area, only for Charlie to stand on a beehive when he was trying to take some of his drugs. They end up getting out of the beehive and then talk about the water requirements, and the skeletons that they find in the caves. They then believe that the caves will be a better place for the survivors to settle.

Back on the beach, some of the others agree with the points regarding going to the caves, but then others are under the assumption that the beach is the best bet, so we are starting to get split decisions, as some belive they are better at following Jack.

The story of the Koreans gets more involved, as we learn that the hubby works for her father, who is powerful, possibly mafia orientated. We also learn that Sun has got a plan to get away from her hubby, but that she did not go through with it.

We also discover that Sun speak English, but that hubby doesn't know, but she explained to the Michael why her husband had attacked him this morning. Over her fathers watch. Then Michael returns the watch to the korean and chops his handcuff off.

Charlie ends up giving the drugs to John and manages to get his guitar back, so we finish off with a nice little song to end the episode.
  • Review

A little bit of tension ensues when Jack makes a hasty decision to move away from the beach, which leads to a disscussion between Jack and Sayid about which is the right course of action. I like the way the writers are making these characters interact with one anyother early on in the series. Everyone is sitll being careful and they are using strong "on screen connections"(Jake and Kate, Locke and Charlie) to their advantage and its really paying off for them I think. I thought the beginning of the episode was kind of shocking, with Michael getting run over by Jin for what seemed to be no reason. We find out in the end that it was over a watch, which forces Michael to throw it back at Jin. I dont think this show would be nearly as good without some tension between the losties, and I think tension could be the word to describe this episode. Overall I think this is one of the better episodes of season 1.
  • Mainly a Jin and Sun episode

Although Jin isn't one of my favorite characters, I love Sun. She is exteremly good looking and is really good in Lost. But I digress, this episode was interesting, because I never even thought about someone not speaking English on the island. It would be really difficult. The good thing was that Sun can speak English. All in all, a great episode.
  • Sun and Jin

This wasn't the best episode but it was a lot better than the previous episode white rabbit. This couple Sun and Jin were not my favorite. I had a feeling that Sun knew how to speak English, I was just waiting for her to reveal it. After this episode I was able to see why Sun and Jin were the way they were. I felt bad for her. She was trapped in a marriage that she didn't want to be in. I know that was a hard decision for her to stay. Much better episode that the last one. Good Job!
  • jin attacks michael on the beach but michael doesnt know why and sayid and jack argue over whether they should live at the caves or the beach.

a good episode and we finally get a look at jin and suns past. the best parts if this episode where when john persuades charlie to give up his drugs and when jin attacks michael on the beach. it was interesting to see who wanted to stay at the beach and who wanted to go to the caves. the funny part of this episode was when charlie was stood on the beehive and accidentally split it. we realise that jin and sun where a happy couple until jin worked for suns father, who made jin do bad things. i love lost.
  • I rarely choose to classify an episode as a 'char dev' one, but it's just the opportunity to do so.

Jin and Sun. Two korean. They are married. Jin seems very strict. They are far from the other survivors. Why? Why is Jin so strict?

In this episode, don't worry - you'll find it all out(Almost)...

Flashback-wise this was a great episode with great reveals. Before the crash, Jin and Sun were planning to escape, and go to America. Sun is appearntly a daughter of a very rich man, and Jin, is, just from a poor family whose job is to fish. Very romantic.

Hwoever, Jin gets an opportunity, a job from Sun's father. And that changes everything... So dramatically, one day Jin arrives with blood on his clothes and hands. And it's not his own..

And this is a turning point. This is where - although Jin still loves Sun - Jin realises he's controlled by one man.

The opening scene is scary, and it will be explained by the end of the episode. Reveals are not only in the flashbacks.. no. On island too. Sun speaks english. Scary? Locke finds out Charlie's addiction. Hmm? 2 corpses 'Adam and Eve' found in the caves...? Hmmm? Jack's plan to move to the caves..? Hmm? Great episode, must say. However, the ending was once again musical, too musical.

Seems like the writers didn't bother themselves with cliffhangers in the first part of the 'LOST' season 1. However, soonly, it will change...

Another superb installment of Lost with a lot of character development. I love all the story line tie ins between episodes like zooming out of Jack complaining about the casket to Sun looking at Jin behind him, it was just great to see.

It was fantastic delving in to Sun & Jin's twisted relationship, the theme that returns is "everything happens for a reason." If Sun would have ran away, she would have never been in the plane crash. I'm liking the playful yet serious Jack & Kate relationship.

The Locke & Charlie interactions were incredible: "Look up." We just got a very entertaining episode here with a lot of noteworthy scenes. Can't wait for the next installment.
  • A very exciting, suspenseful and revealing episode!

This was an excellent follow up of 'White Rabbit'(last weeks episode)!
    The start of this episode showed us a little bit about Sun and jinn's past life in Korea just after they had met each other.

Then on the island Jin suddenly attacks Michael seemingly without provocation! Why did he do this? So Sayid handcuffs Jin to the wreckage until they knew why! I thought Michael was innocent even though he was the victim and was questioned about it. On the previous episode jack discovered 'the caves' so he took a group of survivors there to check it out where Locke found out that Charlie was using drugs. I thought It was funny how Charlie was stung by heaps of bees along with Locke. As for Jin and Sun, Sun told Michael that she speaks English! A new island mystery solved, and we find out that Michael was wearing Sun's father's watch which was why Jin attacked him! Then It was great how Michael went to Jin and threatened him to stay away from him and Walt.

The end was nice how Charlie gave up his drugs and gave them to Locke for his guitar which was sitting on a hill.
    So now half of the survivors are living at the caves and the other half at the beach. Overall a superb and revealing episode! Looks like the next episode will focus on Charlie's withdrawal from drugs!
< 1 2