Lost

House of the Rising Sun

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Oct 27, 2004 on ABC

• "Our very own Adam and Eve" Episode 6 was the point where the writer's creative adrenalin was almost getting the better of them. It was time to slow things down.

After 5 outstanding episodes, all of which lay the foundations for the series, it was inevitable that things would start to slow up. The writers had given us 5 episodes of eye-popping action, effects, plot twists and monsters and now it was time to take the pedal off the metal. That's not saying that in doing so any quality is lacking from this episode. It is still a competant enough episode, and despite the fact that Lost is essentially about character, not mystery, the best episodes are those that mix both. This one sort of does that. There are plenty of better exceptions (Special, All the Best Cowboys have Daddy Issues, Deus Ex Machina and the Exodus finale), but this is one that tries to insert some mystery into things, namely the Adam and Eve skeletons found in the newly-found caves, which would play a pivotal part in the rest of Season 1.
    But this episode doesn't focus on mystery, the Adan and Eve plotline is brushed quickly aside and the character drama surrounding Jin and Sun is the order of the day.
    The pace of this episode is a little slower compared to previous episodes, and in the context of the series so far, that change of pace works. Whether you care about character plotlines enough to fully enjoy this episode is another thing, but somehow the writers always find some way of keeping the audience awake through the proceedings. This is event storytelling at its finest. This was the first of the purely character-based episodes of the series, of which there would be plenty more subsequently. The flashbacks are very emotionmal and Yunjin Kim does a fantastic job in making us sympathise with her. Interestingly enough in the later episode, ..In Translation, Daniel Dae Kim, who plays her husband, Jin, does the same thing and we end up sympathising with him instead. The Jin and Sun dynamic is very interesting. In this episode, as with previous ones, the audience is completely on Sun's side of the argument. Jin began as one of the most unpopular screen husbands on TV. But ..In Translation proved that it was six of one, half a dozen of the other, and the argument was balancing more evenly. You just had to synpathise with Jin.
    The Jin and Michael rivalry comes to a head in this episode, and it seems amazing to think that at the end of Season 1 they were more friendly toward each other. Okay, they don't become drinking pals, they still argue, but there is certainly more respect between them. Nothing major happens in this episode, in terms of plot points, and there is no attempt to throw in an action sequence, an effects shot, or the howl of the Monster. One of my favourite island moments from this episode, and I think it is my personal highlight, is when Charlie looks up to see his guitar, hanging above him. I think I cried with Charlie, being a guitarist myself, I would have had the same reaction.
    This is a good episode, not outstanding, as there isn't so much going on to make it stand out, but as a focused character piece, it is still enjoyable.