Lost

Ji Yeon

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Mar 13, 2008 on ABC

Episode Fan Reviews page 2 of 3

• Very sweet! Nothing of exciting, but a nice episode.

Everybody knew about Michael (now Kevin) on the boat, so it wasn't surprising at all to see him. In spite of this, the moment in which Kevin introduces himself has been seen from the authors as the most important scene of the episode. And maybe that's why Jin and Sun's story is even boring sometimes, simply because it wasn't the real surprise. But it comes out that their story has been really sweet, and sad. Sun survives (so she left the island before it was to late for her baby) and the faithful Jin can not even take a look at his beautiful daughter Ji Yeon. Like a love novel, sometimes foreseeable (it was easy to understand that there were a flashback of Jin and a flashforward of Sun), but definitely adorable.
    I would say it's been a moment of peace before the increbible episodes we still have to watch.
  • Great moments, but a whole lot of nothing going on!

7.2
    The whole episode really just seemed like a filler episode. They needed to fill in the episodes, and they didn't really have much to reveal, well they never can reveal too much I guess, otherwise it wouldn't be called, lost. The whole story with with the baby, was ok, I guess it needed to be told at some point, it just wasn't really that interesting. The flashbacks really throws off the consistency of flash-forwards in this season, and the best scenes really were on the boat. The captain's direct and reliable answers, were perfect after the friendly warning to not trust the captain. The girl who would rather die than spend one more minute on that boat, and their room, where the last guest would rather blow their brains out than continue to that boat, were all the best moments of this episode. Can't wait to learn more about the boat.
  • Ray: I think you'll like your room. It's on a quiet part of the ship. Desmond: This ship isn't moving. Ray: Well, if you say so.

The plot has four separate storylines. One focuses on married Sun and Jin Kwon on the island, as they debate on whether to defect to the rival faction of survivors led by John Locke. On the Kahana, Sayid Jarrah and Desmond Hume learn more about the intentions of the freighter's crew. In the off-island storyline, Jin and Sun are caught up in pregnancy-related troubles. Ok got to sa although I was expecting it wow! Michael returns and I still cant stop smiling at how good he did, next week should be awesome, cant wait to se how he got on the frieghter. Also the whole flashback and forward thing I was totally not expecting well done to the writers for making that work, and the ending was really emotional, wonder how it all pans out. I give tis 9.9 out of 10, I really enjoyed it.
  • Past ? Future ? Kevin Johnson ? Great episode best so far this season

Wow I loved this episode it was everything Lost is about ; drama ,suspense and of course and extra touch of unexpected. I thought it was brilliant the whole Sun/Jin flashback and fastforward thing. I think it was brilliantly plotted and it was a great display . Wow for a minute I thought Jin had remarried and was missing Sun's baby deliver. Too bad he is dead . Also very interesting what the captain said about Ben taking dead bodies and putting them on a plane to make it look like there were no survivors on Oceanic Flight 815.I think Jacob has something to do with that. And of course the appearence of Michael after so much. God I hate spoilers ! I accidentaly run into this info last week so I already knew it was him in the boat , but not for that it was less exciting. His apperance makes Locke seeing Walt possible and not just a delussion.
  • The reason I began watching LOST in the first place

Let me just begin by saying that this season has restored my love for LOST. The last two seasons have been heavy and clumsy without any real revelation, but season 4 has been rewarding from the very beginning. This episode is no exception. I didn't expect it. I expected that it would be an action packed episode, so I was a little disappointed at first, but as the episode went on I started to get excited. The way that they used flashbacks and flashforwards in tandem was nothing less than brilliant. Until the very end, you really had no idea what they were trying to tell you. It was probably one of the finest examples of the talent of this writing team. Subtly, the last of the oceanic 6 were revealed. Also, the revelation of Ben's spy on the boat has huge implications for further episodes. Finally, we are back to the LOST we loved so much in its early days. I can't wait to see how things unfold over the rest of the season.
  • Weird episode! (with spoilers)

First of all, I knew Michael was on the boat!!! And I think he is Ben's man! Ben probably sent him directly to the boat in the end of season 2! The question on my mind is if Walt is on the island! Did Locke have an alucination or was Walt really there?

I'm sad Jin is dead. He is/was a good guy! And in no moment I thought he was going to see his daughter be born....He was much younger on the flash back, and his cell phone was very big!!

The Oceanic Six...curious story...so, Ben implanted a fake airplane under the sea with 324 bodies (23 and 4, two numbers!!)...So far we know that Sayid, Hurley, Jack, Kate and Sun are out...Does Aaron join the count? If yes, we know all 6, but i guess he is out of it!

Looking foward for the next episode!!
  • Boring, overrated, paint dry episode

These flash forwards don't add much if anything in the way of quality from what has been seen, and in typical fashion, because it's a newer episode, it's get heavily (and I emthpsis it totally this time) overrated.

Yunjim Kim is a good actress, her character "sun" is very likable, the problem is, everything surrounding her in this episode is fluff, she's not given enough good content, and when she's given content, it's drab, contrived and melodramatic day-time drama muck, instantly forgettable. It's a shame really, Evangeline Lilly gets more screen time for the most part in lost, more story lines, more pivotal roles, yet it's pretty clear Yunjim Kim is better on screen, if anything I suspect Lilly got the role more on her aesthetic appearance than her acting skills. At the moment, lost feels like a raft floating at sea, sure, there is more information being put forward, but there's no shining jewel moments from this season so far, it's all so-so, no button that will destroy the world, no monster killing off people, for the most part it's. Locke's group, Jacks group, and the guys on the boat, other than that, not alot going on, charisma is lacking.

Overall, I gave this episode 5, 4 out of those 5 go to Yunjim Kim, 1 goes to the 95% fluff of the episode, it was just abit, well.....boring.
  • This season keeps going from strength to strength and this episode is no different.

Firstly I just want to say that I had this episode figured out before it even aired! This is both a testament to my genius and that I'm a huge geek! Before the season started we were told that one of the original main characters would die within the first eight episodes and I heard a rumour that this one would have more info on the Oceanic Six. I didn't know for a fact that Jin would die, but I thought it was a fair guess and so how could he have a flashforward? Well I guessed that it'd be a shared episode and Jin's side would be a flashback and Sun's a flashforward. It would be done so that you'd think Jin's side was happening at the same time as Sun's in an attempt to trick you into thinking he was still alive. Of course this was what happened and it was done brilliantly!

Although the episode had me shouting "You're not fooling me!" at my screen for most of it, it was superbly done. Jin's side was just to set up the end reveal but it still had some great stuff. Him losing the Panda bear was comedic genius! There could be more read into the unfortunate events but I think it was pretty simple. Either it was some bad acting form the extras and a bit of poor writing, or more likely a rival company to Paik's that also wanted to do business with the Chinese and were trying to sabotage Jin's efforts. Either way it was pretty insubstantial as the main story was Sun's.

Well she's gotten off of the island and had her baby successfully. A happy ending then complete with Hurley turning up in a nice suit. Because of the birth this episode can easily be tracked time-wise and is therefore clearly before the Hurley saw Charlie and stared going a bit bonkers again. But why did Hurley not want to see anyone else? Interesting but that doesn't affect this episode really. A lot of these reviews tend to digress into theories and guesswork so from here on it's about the episode's quality.

I was a bit annoyed that we didn't get more of Locke's camp and in particular there reactions to Ben being a member of their society instead of a prisoner. But what we did get instead was some great stuff on the freighter. Apparently loads of folk are topping themselves on the ship which is very strange but was done very effectively. The woman reading her book upside down showed there was something wrong which culminated in her drowning herself. We got some more answers too about the fake plane, but nothing we didn't already know. We got confirmation (pretty much) that it was Ben who was behind it, but I think that was common knowledge anyway as who else would have. That they've addressed where he could've got three hundred odd dead folk was good as that was what I'd been wondering. Of course the huge reveal was another one that had been guessed, but it was still awesome! Michael finally makes his first appearance since the season two finale, despite having been credited for the last six episodes, and just thinking about it know is giving me Goosebumps. For such a short moment it was fantastic. There's a question about Desmond's reaction, which I couldn't quite read because I don't know if he recognised him. The only time they could've met was in the season two finale, but he was p*ssed then and at best would've seen Michael from across the beach with a different haircut and beard. Hopefully that'll be cleared up next week, but Sayid's reaction was perfectly played by both actors. Sayid was clearly surprised at seeing Michael, as well as not too happy it would seem. However he realised that it was probably best to not blow his cover, but if that wasn't the coldest handshake of all time I don't know what was! Absolutely awesome!

Back on the beach Jin found out about Sun's affair and was understandably heartbroken. But a fantastic scene with Bernard got his priorities in order and he found it within himself to forgive her. I'm glad this was resolved so quickly, as dragging it out would've been a waste of screentime for a show that has made sure to use as much as they can this season with sheer brilliance. It's also a testament to the writers and actors that they could reconcile so quickly and believably. Speaking of acting I can't imagine it's easy for Daniel Dae Kim to pretend he's learning English when he's fluent, but he does it fantastically. Also some of his interactions with the rest of the cast are excellent. I loved his short scene with Jack and the reference to Sawyer's English lessons from "Tricia Tanaka is Dead" was great too.

Yet another incredibly strong episode from a season that keeps getting better. The best thing about it is that it's so good that even if you figure something out it can still hit home thanks to great acting, writing and direction. This was a very clever episode which leaves one major mystery as to Jin's fate. The tombstone said he dies on September 22nd 2004 (the day of the crash) so he must die on the island at some point. From here on he's got a Charlie-esc death clock hanging over him and let's just hope the character gets the send off he deserves.
  • The last of the oceanic6

A Sun&Jin-centric episode,a Flashback and a Flashforward at the same time ,for the very first time in Lost. Smart and effective!
    Sun decides that she wants to stay on the island and follow Locke's team since she does not trust the freighters. Juliet tries to convince her to stay with them and leave from the island because if she stays then she dies. Juliet is forced to reveal to Jin the affair Sun had some time ago. This works and the couple remains at the beach.
    In the Flashback we see Jin going to a shop and buying a stuffed panda while at the same time we see Sun being in a hospital giving birth to their baby. In the end it is revealed that it was a flashforward and a flashback at the same time. Next, Sun goes with Hurley to Jin's grave and grieve!
    Back on the freighter Regina kills herself when she jumps off the boat. In addition, Desmond and Sayid meet the captain who tells them the truth about oceanic815,that someone set the whole wreckage in the ocean and found so many dead bodies to cover the truth. He claims that Ben is behind all these,and that's way Charles Widmore wants to find him. Afterwards,when the freighter's doctor takes Desmond and Sayid to their new room, the cleaner of the freighter appears who was Michael, introducing himself as Kevin Johnson!
    Superb episode, i am anticipating for the next one!
  • I want to know more. I can't wait for next weeks episode. I want all the answers now!

This was another great episode that left you hanging and wanting more. I want all the answers to all the questions I have. Like for instance....Micheal????? I had a feeling that we would be seeing him again but as the spy....now that is good! What about Jin I was like wtf when they were showing her having the baby and calling for Jin and how he was searching for a panda. Then it turns out that he is dead. How did he die? Oh and I was mad when Juliet told Jin about Sun's affair. I know she was just trying to help but WOW. I didn't think she would have gone that far to keep her there. Those 300 some bodies that were found at the bottom of the ocean..of course it was Ben I bet he used the bodies of those he killed on the island. I know there is a lot more in store for us Lost fans I can't wait but I know that when we do get all the answers Lost will be no more.....or will it.
  • Juliet reveals to Jin that Sun and her baby will die if she does not get off the island, as well as the fact that she had an affair; Desmond and Sayid meet face to face with the Captain of the ship.

This season has been full of emotion, in fact, I'd go so far to say that this has been the most dramatically interesting and emotional season of LOST thus far. Part of what makes LOST so great is the characters. Each are so perfectly developed, and the writers are always finding new ways to take familiar characters and show us things we may not have known. I have to say that this story involving Sun and Jin was by far one of the most beautiful episodes this year. I won't spoil anything, but the conclusion of this is a real heart breaker.

And, of course, in typical Lost fashion, we are treated to a surprise return by a familiar face, which has definitely peaked my interest.

I don't love this show just for its great twists and unpredictability. It's all about the characters and the plethora of emotions we experience with them, something many television shows are lacking these days.
  • The spy on the ship is revealed and Sun's future is shown as well as her desire to go to Locke's camp. Jin finds out about Sun's affair.

One word to describe this episode. RIDICULOUS. After this episode ended, my jaw DROPPED. I couldn't BELIEVE half the stuff that happened. I wished they made more episodes like this. It's so confusing and hooks audiences up so much more. I really want to know why Jin and Sun are not together in the future. Why does Sun think Jin is dead and why is Jin married to someone new? Does he know that his daughter was just born? You know that Sun is one of the Oceanic Six, but is Jin? Maybe he came back later on? We don't even know when he came back. There are so many new questions that have arisen due to this episode. I just want to know WHAT HAPPENED?!??!
  • Juliet is forced to reveal some startling news to Jin when Sun threatens to move to Locke's camp. Meanwhile, Sayid and Desmond begin to get an idea of the freighter's crew when they meet the ship's captain. Bla Bla Bla Bla! Who cares Michael is back?

This episode was kinda boring to me until the end. And I can't say boring about alot of Lost episodes but if I had to pick one then this one is it. And is it just me or is Juliet as boring as it gets? Her character has no personality whatsoever and sometimes she scares the crap out of me when she gives us that blank stare. There is not alot to complain about when it comes to Lost. Now Michael is back and you know Sawyer, Kate and Jack want a piece of his hyde. But where is Walt? Can't wait til next week.
  • Another of the Oceanic 6 revealed

If the previous episode was somewhat divisive and (based on the subsequent ratings dip) dissatisfying, this installment focuses on pre-existing relationships on the island and relatively simple revelations on the boat. Both plot threads are ultimately compelling for their own reasons. This back-to-basics approach should help to overcome some of the disunity.

The writers have been largely using flash-forwards or flashbacks exclusively within an episode, though "The Constant" demonstrated how the format could be unusually applied. This episode takes that expectation and uses it against the audience in the best of ways. After clearly establishing that Sun's off-island story was off-island as one of the Oceanic 6, Jin's story seemed to follow in lockstep.

Of course, that wasn't the case, and because there is still some confusion regarding the classification of the Oceanic 6, the deception is maintained until the very end. At this point, one could reasonably conclude that the known Oceanic 6 are Jack, Kate, Hurley, Sayid, and Sun. One can assume that Aaron is not counted because he would have been born on the island, not mentioned in the passenger manifest. It's also reasonable to assume that Ben is still out of the public eye. With Jin no longer in the running, that leaves one slot still open.

The bulk of the episode is devoted to setting up the tragedy of the final moments. Sun's choice is not unexpected, but her doubts and questions are quite reasonable and have been a long time in coming. Sun had every reason to wonder if Juliet was being honest, and it's good to see her reacting so proactively towards her own best interests. At the same time, it was good to see Juliet make the tough decision to save Sun's life by betraying her trust.

The tear-inducing moment, of course, is the graveside "reunion" between father and daughter. While most of the episode was blatant foreshadowing (pretty much from the teaser), seeing Sun, Hurley, and little Ji Yeon standing in a cemetery was difficult. However, the most obvious explanation (that Jin died in the process of getting Sun off the island) is the least likely.

Jin's gravestone marked his death as 22 Sep 2004, which is the date of the plane crash. According to the Oceanic 6 cover story, all but eight of the passengers died; two others perished before the eventual rescue. So the implication is that Jin was eventually counted among those killed in the crash within the context of the cover story. Nothing else can be definitively inferred.

Sun's honest grief could be interpreted as a sign of Jin's actual death; he could have died between the "present" and the rescue, and this was a way to cover up the events leading to the rescue. But from the perspective of the Oceanic 6, everyone back on the island is lost. They will never see them again. So Jin could be back on the island for a very good reason, and Sun will still grieve because they will be (from her point of view) forever apart. The tragedy remains intact, but Jin would still be a viable character.

Perhaps to keep the audience believing in the seemingly mundane nature of the Jin/Sun plot thread, Sayid and Desmond's time on the boat was full of mysterious and disturbing tidbits. Michael, of course, turns out to be Ben's agent on the boat. That had to be a surprise to no one, and his story should be coming soon enough. Surprisingly, that's hardly the most pressing question, because the rest of the crew seems to be losing it.

As it turns out, the freighter's crew has been descending into madness, so much so that a suicide is considered routine. Proximity to the island has never been kind (ask Leonard from "Numbers"), but if the effect on the crew is any indication, mass exposure can be brutal. As it happens, the symptoms of exposure to strong electromagnetic fields are very similar to those exhibited by the crew. The question may not be why the crew is suffering so badly, but why the inhabitants of the island are not.

Captain Gault's story about the apparent Oceanic 815 black box is very interesting, because it definitely muddies the waters a bit. Ben's description of Widmore's activities in the previous episode seemed to fit the facts, but had to be considered through the filter of his biased perspective. Gault's explanations are equally biased, and his story seems to add fuel to the theory that Ben staged the fake crash of Oceanic 815. In fact, unless Ben's organization worked in record time, it refuels the old theory that Ben contrived the actual crash on the island in the first place.

Whatever the case, the truth is probably somewhere in between. Despite his machinations, Ben is remarkably consistent in his aspirations. If it's good for the island and its chosen people, then it's worth doing. Widmore's motivations are far less defined, and that's the source of the confusion. It's known that he has ties to Hanso, who in turn seemed to use the Dharma Initiative to his own ends (including the wacky fun of chemical weapons production at the Tempest). It's also obvious that he's sidelining Penny, who must be even more adamantly searching for Desmond after "The Constant". It's no stretch to say that Gault's explanations are questionable at best.

Sayid and Desmond clearly don't buy any of it, especially after the reaction to Regina's suicide, and that helps keep this transitional episode from losing identity within the larger framework of the season arc. While Kate is legally bound to her new life, her responsibility to Aaron makes any return to the island problematic at best. Sun is in a very similar position. This adds a new layer to any future plans to return as a group. If it were simply adults making decisions for themselves, it would be one thing; choosing for the children is quite another.
  • Review (Episode Spoilers)

I'm going to break my review down into the three main parts of the episode. The beach scenes, The boat scenes, and the fake out in the flashes.

The beach scenes revolved mainly around Jin, Sun, Kate, Juliet, and Benard. Sun wants to leave and go to Locke's camp, but doesn't seem to want to listen to reason. I do suppose that she has a point - she doesn't trust Daniel Faraday or Charlotte Lewis being around the camp. It just felt very - rushed. She likely should have guessed that Lewis and Faraday weren't good when Jack, Kate, and Juliet had to run after them. That was another thing about the island scenes that wasn't my preference - Kate, Juliet, Faraday, Jack, and Lewis were all back from "The Tempest" at the beginning of the episode. I suppose everything about the station was somewhat ansered, but at the end of "The Other Woman" they are all going back inside for further explaination of the station and at the beginning of this one they are all back. The camps being split really hurt this part of the storytelling I think. They had really no choice but to bring them all back because who else is around camp for drama? Jin / Sun / Benard / Rose? That's it. Had Claire, Hurley, and Sawyer been at the camp I think the other group could have stayed at the Tempest. The rest of the island scenes just felt really slow, like nothing was going on. In earlier episodes I felt this way too - but in The Economist we were getting to know Miles along the way, In Eggtown we got some Sawyer/Kate action. This episodes island scenes were just kind of in a standstill. Jin and Benards conversation on the boat, while it felt sincere, just seemed like it was put there simply to hold up a few minutes of the show.

The boat scenes were very dark and chilling, as they tend to be. Michael (Kevin Johnson) was a very easily foreseen twist coming for those of us who listened to the ComicCon podcast a while back, but the fact they didn't make the handshake the end of the episode was good job on their part. I also liked seeing Kevin Johnson in the scene where Regina jumps off the boat - just kind of off to the side. Seems Michael is just sabotaging just about everything. It looks like Keamy and Frank Lipidus bounced onto the Helicopter and left. I really liked Keamys character and hope that he is going to the island. I think his big, tough guy attitude could really get some interesting character interactions with Sawyer / Locke / Jack. Regina killing herself just has me all messed up. Something is wrong with the people on the boat - that's a fact. Regina kills herself. Minkowski kills himself. Not sure I like the fact all these people are dying before we even get to know them - but hey, flashbacks are there for a reason, right?

The fake out with the backs / forwards wasn't worth it. It got me, don't get me wrong, but I just didn't see the point. Jins flashback was there for the purpose to ONLY trick the viewers. It didn't give anything to his character at all, it was put there with its only purpose being to fool us and nothing more. Suns part of her flash was pretty boring right up until the final scene with Hurley at the gravesite. If Jin is dead or not should be a hot topic in the online community for the next couple of weeks. Overall, the island scenes were average. Dialouge very shaky at times and Jin is almost speaking perfect english. I know they have time - but come on. He speaks really well seemingly out of nowhere. The boat scenes were solid, and the flash trick just wasn't worth the time that went into making them. This is the weakest episode of the season for me.

The Beginning of the End - 9.7
    Confirmed Dead - 9.5
    The Economist - 9.6
    Eggtown - 9.2
    The Constant - 10+
    The Other Woman - 9.3
    Ji Yeon - 8.9

Season Average - 9.46 (Beating out my current #1, season five of 24, by .01)
  • This a Sun/Jin centric episode. Further information about the characters is revealed. The name of the episode "Ji Yeon" refers to the name of Sun and Jin's daughter.

Probably the best episode of this season so far. Many things are revealed and, for the first time in the show, we see a flashfoward and a flashback in the same episode, a techique that tricked the minds of even the more acute viewers.
    I was anxiously awaiting for the return of Michael Dawson because Harold Perrineau Jr's name has apeared in the initial credits of each episode since the beginning of this season. His return will definitely be a plus.
    The deep character development and the intricate and well structured story of Lost is once again proven as one of the best in a television series.
    Lost is a show that cannot be missed. Congratulations to the writers for an incredible work.
  • This episode might not have given us too many answers but we definetly leanr more interesting questions that are pieces of the puzzle in a way or another!

Something wrong with that math...1-Jack, 2-Kate, 3-Hurley, 4-Sayd 5-Aaron, 6-Sun, 7-Jim. Great episode. I'm on the team that sees a point is almost all episodes. They're very well written and this last one brings surprises and more questions, which is exciting! It was reading one of the reviews that my eyes were openned to the possibility of Jin being alive but on the island -great comment kateinabox. (Of course,the ones broght to "the world" cannot reveal there's more people alive on the island).

Was Jin brought dead? A dead person would not be counted among the survivors... On the other hand, Ben and the coufin person were not counted either... anything can still happen. We know that the flashes from Jim were about the past, but something about this choice made me think that maybe Jim is alive and living another life. Jim forgave Sun for the betrayal before the island but let's not forget the sneak pick that alludes to a third man in Sun's life... Michael/Kevin was turned into a Ben's colaborator. Of course Ben wouldn't just let Michael and Walter return to civilization. There are conspiricies all over the story. This is getting more and more flavorsome!
  • Another great magnitude is the upcoming war between Charles Widmore and Benjamin Linus.(Contains spoilers...)

This episode revealed some questions and on the other hand it put some new questions in the show, like lost always does. It was revealed, that Sun is the fifth of Oceanic 6, but we don't know if Jin could leave the island. Jin either left the island with Sun and died afterwards, or he left the island, but is not dead, just pretended to be dead, or didn't leave the island, and is called dead like all the other Oceanic 815 passengers, or died on the island.
    Another great magnitude is the upcoming war between Charles Widmore and Benjamin Linus. Benjamin Linus, who had the power resources to fake a plane crash in the Sunda Trench, and who also hired Sayid as an assassin, to kill people probably from Widmore's organization.
    On the other hand we have Charles Widmore, who hired the freighter people to find the flight recorder of the fake Oceanic airplane, and who also send those people to the island, in order to catch Benjamin Linus and kill everybody else on the island. (According to Benjamin Linus in sneak peek of next episode Meet Kevin Johnson)
    So I think next episode will also be one of the most exciting ones.
  • A couple of surprises,followed by a non-surprise surprise. I will admit, I was caught a bit off guard by the off-island scenes.

First, I really don't think it was a surprise that Michael (Kevin Johnson) is on the ship. It was public knowledge that he was coming back and that was the only place to put him.

What was a surprise was the Jin flashback, Sun flash forward. I was wondering why Jin had an old cell phone but dismissed it, should have seen it coming.

We now know a few important facts. 1) Sun is one of the Six. 2)They get off the island within the next 7 months. 3)Jin is dead.

Now, I may be wrong, but it looked like there's a time discrepancy. According to the marker the date was 9/20/2004. The problem with this Desmond made his call on 12/24/2004 3 months later. I could have read it wrong also. Anyway, I did like the flash back and flash forward premise, it nailed me pretty good. However, I would have liked to have seen Lockes camp a little. Major points for the fishing scene!

Overall, a very good episode. They've more than made up for season 3. I can't wait to see what happens next!
  • This one falls awfully close to "unnecessarily sad." But this might only be the case because of the quality character development on the series.

I was a little blindsided by the quasi-resolution to the Sun/Jin story. I realize there are "more stories to tell" even in the context of their relationship. But the pronouncement that Jin is yet another one of the 815 survivors whose chance at redemption is ultimately lost is a bit dour. You can argue that Jin was redeemed and then he died. But that isn't how the redemption story ends. At least it is not how it should end. This is where I use the term "unecessarily sad." This describes moments in literature, movies, television, etc. where the story could have ended just fine but then quickly takes a tragic turn and then immediately resolves. "Message in a Bottle" is an example of this. Jack Arnold in the series finale of "The Wonder Years" is another. But maybe Jin's death is only so affecting because of the character work that was done right under our noses. The Jin/Sun/(Michael/Jae Lee) triangle was drug out from "...in translation" up until this epsiode. It felt like the audience was being jerked around with "The Whole Truth" not giving us the truth and then this seasons "you mean our baby?" seemingly calling "DOC" into question. But maybe this was all a medium to paint the picture of a dynamic and ultimately redeemed Jin. His comments in Sun's tent near the end of this episode all but spell that out for us. (given the subtitles I guess they did literally spell it out for us). Jin stated that he is not the same man that Sun cheated on. He is not the same man that was going to kill a cab driver and then a stuff panda bear salesman over a "job." He is not the same man who hides his affections from Sun. "Where Sun goes, I go." From day one, this has really been the case with Jin - much to his undoing. But ultimately, this is also what redeems him on the island. It seemed that this had been accomplished in "Exodus" or maybe even as late as "Collision" and "What Kate Did." But I'm not sure Jin could have forgiven Sun at that time. By now he can. He is now at the stage of redemption Boone was after "Hearts and Minds." Of course this may also mean his doom is at hand. Sayid and Desmond's meeting with the captain begs one question: Why not trust the captain? Everything he said seemed legitimate. As Sayid noticed, he seemed forthcoming. So was Michael's note an attempt to manipulate Sayid and Desmond as per Ben's orders? If not pursuant to Ben's orders, then at least to his motivations? Michael was more interesting when he was wrongly hated by Jin than when he became the assassin blindly devoted to Walt. It is interesting that Michael is re-introduced in a story centered around Sun and Jin. Does this foreshadow Jin's ultimate fate? Not sure but I would like to think the two stories are connected. This season has been exceptional at producing stand alone stories and yet moving the overall story arc along at a rapid pace.
  • Another great episode by LOST. For the first time this season they use both a flash back and a flash forward.

Another great episode by LOST. For the first time this season they use both a flash back and a flash forward. It was very interesting how both flash back and flash forward seem to be the same until the very end. Some things that came out include the fact that Jin is dead. The question is whether he died on the island or else he got off the island and died?

Meanwhile on the freighter Desmond and Sayid got intel of not trusting the captain. They meet the captain and he tells them about the owner of the ship being Charles Windsmore and about the stage of the bodies and thats the reason they want Ben. Meanwhile then they meet the janitor Kevin Johnson ... but it turns out to be Michael. It seems as if Michael is Ben's informative on the plane. This will definitely get more and more interesting.
  • More info about Sun and Jin is revealed, Desmond and Sayid meet not only the captain of the freighter, but Ben's man on the inside.

There was a fair amount of buzz regarding this episode and whether it could hold it's own amongs the rest of the season. It wasn't the best episode of the season, but it was very good, very revealing, and had some very interesting plot twists. This was probably the best Sun and Jin episode to date, given their storylines were rather interesting.

The episode begins with Sun putting on make-up while at home in Korea, she begins to have pains, and it is revealed that she is going into labor. She gets an ambulance to the hospital and orders the staff to call Jin. Jin is shopping for just the right gift, a large stuffed panda bear which he will take to the maternity ward, he gets a cab, but loses his phone, a man grabs the cab with teddy bear in tow. Jin rushes back in to buy another, but it has already been sold, but lays down a large wad of cash. Sun is experiencing some trouble during the birth and insists on talking to Jin, but she cannot wait, they deliver a healthy baby girl. It cuts back to Jin who is delivering a teddy bear on behalf of "Paik Automotive", he ties a blue ribbon around it's neck after an guard at the door states the child is a boy? Jin was delivering a gift to the family of the Chinese ambassador. A nurse congratulates Jin, but Jin curiously remarks, that it's too soon, he's only been married two months? It goes back to Sun, who is getting dressed when her doorbell rings, its...Hurley! He has come to visit Sun's new baby, they go to visit Jin as well...at the cemetary. Jin had a flashback, Sun had a flash forward. She named the child Ji-Yeon after Jin's suggestion.

On the island, Juliet warns Sun about the peril she faces if she stays on the island. This is in response to her wanting to take Jin and head to Locke's camp after the odd behavior of the freighter crew. Juliet reveals Sun's affair to Jin, and he saunters off, only to be comforted by Bernard while fishing. He returns to Sun and brings her dinner explaining that he forgives her.

On the freighter, Desmond and Sayid get a note from Ben's spy to "not trust the captain". The doctor leads them above deck to meet the captain when a woman bound in chains leaps from the ship. Nobody helps her despite Desmond and Sayid's cries. The captain witnessed the act and orders everyone back to work. His name is Captain Gault and likens the suicide to "cabin fever". He takes Desmond and Sayid to his office and shows him the "black box" from flight 815 which was found in the Marianas trench. He reveals that the recorder was procured by Charles Widmore, and that the flight found in the Marianas trench was a fake. He also asks the two, where did all the bodies come from, and then mentioned Ben. As Sayid and Desmond are shown their quarters, they meet Kevin Johnson, a janitor on the boat-who happens to be Michael! Ben's man on the boat-no surprise there.

This episode was technically superior, the direction was amazing, the acting was solid, and the pacing was brilliant. The combination of a flashback and flash forward was yet another good move in keeping the season interesting. Info was given to answer some questions, but more were raised in true Lost fashion. Sun and Jin who are good characters, but almost peripheral had interesting and rather touching stories. Their stories were interesting and the advancing of the freighter plot was too, but it was a little thin at parts. This episode much like last week is setting up future events-mainly next week.

Overall, a great episode, very solid, rather entertaining. It is definately on par with the rest of the season and sets up some major events to happen next week.
  • Sun's growing distrust of their rescuers leads here to want to leave for Locke's camp until Juliet reveals a secret from Sun's past to Jin. Sayid meets an old friend on the freighter.

I tohught this was a sad episode, Sun giving birth to her baby all alone, because Jin apparrantly did not make it off the island, and he is not one of the Oceanic Six, though Sun is, if you count Aaron, then we now know all six.

So the flashes show us two things, in the future Sun gives birth to a baby girl, and two months after their marriage Jin delivers a message to the Chinese Ambassador, which involves a large Panda. So I have to admit I was totally convinced that Jin was racing to get to Sun's side, but alas he did not make it off the island, he "died" on Sept. 22, 2004 with everyone else besides the six. His flashback provided a look into how he became Mr. Paik's pawn and not the man Sun fell in love with, so it provided a good resolution to the news of Sun's infidelity, which Jin knew about from Mr. Paik.

Juliet told Jin the news, which to be honest was not her place, but I think she proved that she will do anything to ensure that she does not lose another pregnant woman.

Bernard reminded Jin about the importnace of marriage and that Locke is a murderer, and one would have to be crazy to go to his camp.

It was nice to know that Hurley came to see the baby, and that he managed his sanity for some time after getting off the island.

On the freighter we met the Captain, and Kevin Johnson, more importantly the revealing of the balck box, eludes to why Ben cannot let anyone off the island, cause then they will question his huge cover up, but this also explains why the Oceanic Six are so famous, cause they really should have been dead. This freighter is the creepiest element of this season, second maybe to Miles, someone shot someone, they are all jumping ship, and not moving, and there is a spy on the ship, and I am goign to assume his name is Kevin Johnson.

This was a great episode, very sad, but very interesting.
  • Great episode, I liked the twists and turns and the new facts that were revealed. (contains spoilers)

I enjoyed this episode I can see how some people might not because it might not have been a direction they wanted to go in but I liked it. First Desmond & Sayid are on the ship and get a letter saying not to trust the captain, and then later on we found out that Michael is Ben's spy on the boat. That makes sense since he made the deal with the boat and was the last person to see them before they left, I don't know how they worked it our for Walt to stay I guess we will find out. I went crazy when we saw Micheal, that was really cool. I called that he wasn't gone alot of people did, and I'm pretty glad they wrote it this way. I hope we see alot more of Michael and Walt, and I'm wondering which one if either of them will be one of the "Oceanic 6"

Gin & Sun were the biggest part of this episode. I know alot of people can't stand Charlotte and I'm one of them but I also can't stand Juliette either. They could fight to the death for all I care. There chick fight last week wasn't that hot at all which was dissapointing. OK back to Gin and Sun. Sun wanted to go to Locke's camp because she thought he could help her, and Juliette said no because it could kill you and your baby Sun didn't want to listen to Juliette was a b-yatch and told Gin that Sun cheated on him. Sun slapped that **** hard. Juliette convinced Sun it would be bad for her and her baby if she left the camp, so Sun stayed, and Gin went fishing with Bernie. By the way were is Rose? She is still on the island right? The best part or the worst part depending on how you see it was the trick with the flash foward and flash backs with Gin & Sun. I didn't like it at first and didn't care for the outcome but still thought it was kind of cool how they did that. They flash foward to Sun having her baby in Korea so we now know she will be one of the "Oceanic 6" She was calling for Gin and then the flashed and showd Gin going to the hospital and getting a panda for the baby. They showed Gin at the Hospital he gave the Panda and it was for an emporors daughter and that it was a flash back and he wasn't there for his baby because this was when he was newly married. We find out in the flash foward that Sun was calling out Gin during the pregnancy when they were gong back and forth from the flash back to the flash foward to trick us, but Gin was dead. We found this out when Hurley showed up and saw the baby , and then they went to the cemetary and that's when we found out Gin isn't going to be a survivor. I ws hoping for one husband wife combo to both make it or mother son in Claires case but I don't think that will happen. We now have Jack, Kate, Hurley, Sayid, & Sun, so I'm not sure if Aaron counts as six since he wasn't born yet or if there is another one, of if I just missed one. I was mad that Gin didn't make it but then thought it was col that they tricked us, or at least me with the flash fowards and flash backs, to make it look like Gin was alive and heading to the hospital to see Sun.
  • A little bit better than the last few weeks, but still...

6.3
    After the unadulterated silliness of "The Constant" and the somewhat predictable "The Other Woman", this episode returns to a realistic level of interpersonal relationships which has been sorely lacking in the show of late (Desmond's sappy pining for Penny while trying to stabilize himself within the space/time continuum does NOT qualify!). It shows quite clearly that Jin realized how much he had changed over the course of his relationship and marriage to Sun and how close he came to losing her. What I found slightly annoying was the fact that the writers seriously overplayed the flashback/flashforward device in that they were doing both at the same time. When it became apparent that the "flashforward" scenes of Jin (while Sun was having the baby) were actually flashBACKS to a time prior to Oceanic 815 ever leaving the ground, I was tempted to find the writers of this episode and give them a refresher course on the limits of "Suspension of Disbelief" in writing. Granted.....in the context of this show, suspension of disbelief is required....within limits! If they continue to go way past the acceptable line, then it won't be long before every storyline gets wrapped up with a great big "Deus Ex Machina" ending. The fans who have stuck by this show when absolutely NO ONE knew where it was going or even where it was deserve better than that.
  • A very beautiful episode.

I think that this was the best Jin/Sun centric episode. Also I need to tell a very interesting thing. I've just read something about this episode in LOSTpedia. Sun's flashes of course were flashforwards, but Jin's flashes were actually FLASHBACKS, because the shopkeeper said that the year that was shown in the flash was Dragon's year and that year was 2000 (it can't be 2012). I didn't notice it myself. Also Jin's cellphone was very old. So it is still unclear what will happen to Jin, because I don't think that he is really dead in the future. Also Sayid and Desmond met the captain of the ship and Michael (not my favorite character I might add). All in all this episode was really great.
  • Something (un)expected..

This episode.. some complained it was confusing, no it wasn't.. even thought we realize in the end that there was a mix of flash forwards and flash backs.. very interesting combination and the panda - it was cute and lovely.

I loved that the episode was not so concentrated only on part of the island like some episodes of last season start was. Even thought we heard nothing about the Locke's camp, there was little going on the boat side and things there are getting quite interesting. I am sure when the helicopter gets back, more people will get off.. but the story is really building up, more and more.. some more emotion, and the end.. it was somehow really sad.. and.. maybe even mysterious as we do not know how it happened...
  • Juliet tells Jin that Sun had an affair, Jin gets upset, then forgives Sun. Sayid and Desmond meet the captain, learn whose boat it is, and see Michael. In the future Sun has a baby. In the end Sun is crying with Hurley at Jin's grave.

This episode was nothing short of outstanding. It took a while to get some action going, but mid way through the episode I couldn't look away. Sun and Jin plan to go to Locke's Camp in fear of the freighters people, but Juliet advises strongly not to go. In a last attempt to get them to stay she tells Jin about Suns affair. The slap by Sun was one I wasn't expecting to see, and it was executed perfectly. Jin and Bernard's conversation on the boat was really meaningful, and Jin forgiving Sun shows how much he's changed. In the flash forward Sun has the baby and screamed for Jin. The other flash (which turned out to be in the past) was Jin attempting to get a Panda for someone in the maternity ward. I loved the mixing of the past, present, and future. It was well written and well acted. At the end Sun and Hurley (who seemed pleased no one else was with Sun) go to Jin's grave to show him the baby. It was a great performance by Sun, and only adds to the mystery of what happens with the oceanic 6. The freighter action was nothing special, and is the reason this episode wasn't a 10. Michael obviously was the spy, and the attempted shock failed. Overall the episode was very exciting and was really entertaining.
  • LOST is my favorite show but I have to agree with the review written by gsager1 on this one!

6.3
    For me the flashbacks and fast forwards have always helped form an essential part of the story but lately they simply feel that the writers and producers are just running out of ideas to fill 1 hour of commercial television time. I certainly agree with gsager1 in the way they used them tonight - I couldn't fathom it! The Panda sequence probably had everyone going a bit and yes that was clever but guys,ENOUGH please! There seems to be more content flashing forward and backward than in the PRESENT. By the way, who the hell wrote the dialog between Jin and Bernard on the boat? Do you recall the with wedding rings line "You and I not married" says Bernard - PLEASE!!! Anyway, don't get me wrong guys (producers if you're reading) the flashbacks and fast forwards are fine in moderation. Give us more Island drama, conflict - that's what we love!! Love ya LOST! Don't get found! What will we do!??
  • Sun tries to move to Locke's Camp while Juliet tries to stop her. Sayid and Desmond meet the captain and a familiar face.

Wow this was great. It was different than most of the other episodes. It answered a major question and handled the Sun and Jin's relationship very very well. While it might not be the best episode for those of you that want different answers... like more freighter stuff or more island information... it still gave us alot of in sight into two very likeable characters. I don't know how much I trust the ending... cause it is possible that Jin was just left on the island. Which I think the same as having them be dead to Oceanic 6. Thus the grave and tears. So it is possible Jin isn't actually dead... just kind of on the island never to return. But then again... knowing Lost. He could be dead. We will find out one way or another eventually!!
1 2 3