Lost

Ji Yeon

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Mar 13, 2008 on ABC

• With this episode, the Sun/Jing love affair rivals the Penelope/Desmond love affair

With this episode, the Sun/Jing love affair rivals the Penelope/Desmond love affair in heart-break.
  • Yet again, the writers on Lost exemplify why this show will never ever EVER reach the high standards of other shows and will always be a perrenial underachiever

Firsly i would like to question how people can say that this episode was any good at all. Though it was not the worst episode of the show to date it wasn't far off. I dont really see why the show took the direction of the flash forwards as to me it doesnt seem too necessary and has removed part of the mystery of Lost. Anyway on to this episode.

I can sum up what happened in one word. Nothing! Considering there were only 8 shows filmed pre the strike this is a worry what the final ep recorded is brining. There was a total waste of on screen time whilst we were watching Jin chase the panda, yes we all thought he was going to see Sun. But it would have made no difference had we seen him running around at all. It was just a useless ploy to waste time on the episode, as it was revealed at the end he was dead anyway so why all the run around. Other than the fact Jin was dead the only thing that was found out is that Michael is on the boat, which anyone should have guessed about 3 weeks ago if not more. One of the most obvious plot lines ever written!

The use of a whole episode to show us that Sun has a baby and Jin is dead and introducing michael on the boat is just a joke and makes a mockery of us as the watching public. Now we know what happens in the future to Sun and Jin why bother to show us any more about them at all, it serves no purpose to us. The same can be said for Kate in Eggtown, we now know she is off the island and she has essentially got away without a prison term. So what if she has Aaron. The ineptitude of people to think these things through and essentially end the development of characters who have been key to the show as a whole just outlines the inferiority of this show compared with the likes of Heroes, Prison Break etc. if you ask why i still watch, its because there is nothing else on tv at the moment and i being that i have watched this much i will be frustrated if i miss the one episode where the writers show a glimmer of sense and make use of ths onscreen time with something actually happening worth a 45 minute watch
  • We have lost our Constant.

I feel robbed.
    For over 2 seasons we've been waiting for the return of Michael, and this is how they reward us? With one of the most telegraphed reveals in the show's history? No subtlety. Huge hints all along the way (anyone who hadn't already figured out that he was Ben's man certainly would have gotten it by any of the hints tonight). And then that long walk down the hallway... not a dramatic reintroduction, not even a shocking one, just an anticlimactic walk where we could tell who that janitor was long before he had reached Sayid and Desmond. Then there was Sun. Tonight she had all the complexity and depth of a sheet of paper. Suddenly, after deceiving Jin for years, she simply refuses to lie, even to protect herself or her child? She has no emotion, no authentic motivation, and even her slap at Juliette seemed to lack any real feeling. If you didn't already dread Sun/Jin-centric episodes you certainly have reason to now.
    And I have to mention the rules of filmmaking that were violated tonight. Yes, Lost has managed to get us to suspend disbelief more than most shows can, and has convinced us to accept that we can travel both forwards and backwards in time (and don't get me wrong, the flash forwards and flashbacks have had their moments of true greatness), but having a combined flash-forward-flashback intercut scene is a bridge too far. How are we ever to believe that what we are seeing is really what we are seeing? I can just imagine a scene with Jack standing on the beach talking, facing left, and Locke standing at the barracks, facing right, and the editors cutting it so that it looks like they are talking to each other. You can get us to suspend any disbelief, but we need to have certain film conventions to hold onto, or we simply won't be able to follow along without feeling like we've been conned. We, like Desmond, need our Constant.
    And tonight, Lost threw away her phone number.
  • A Jin/Sun flashback/forward episode that also informs us of what is happening on the boat. I enjoyed most of the episode because it felt like a season 1 story, but there were some elements that bothered me.

Let us start as the episode did, with the flash-forward where Sun is in a hospital giving birth. But what they do next is try to trick us, because we also see Jin traveling to a hospital and shopping for a Panda Bear. This part of the story bothered me, there were just too many clues that Jin was not there with Sun during that time (the biggest of which is that she is the last of the Oceanic 6). Their story on the island focuses on their decision to go with Locke or to stay with Jack and try and get off the island. The more interesting portion of this episode takes place on Mr. Widmore's boat where Sayid and Desmond finally get their meeting with the captain. The captain is very blunt and straightforward during their discussion and reveals to them: the owner of the boat, their reason for being sent to the island, information about the Oceanic Flight 815 crash cover-up and that someone has sabotaged the boat causing them to drift closer to the island. As if all of this info wasn't interesting enough, we finally discover that Ben's rat on the boat is none other than Michael!
    In the end this episode feels like a first season story tweaked with season 4's flash-forwards and new characters.
  • A two for one combo that deals a blow to the heart

You knew, given the way the writers on Lost think, that they were going to find a way to put a flashback and a flashforward in the same episode, which is exactly what happens here, though they don't show their hand to the end (and frankly, by the last scene, you're praying that they're not going to). And it makes a horrible kind of sense that it would involve our favorite couple, Jin and Sun. A lot has come between them over the past three seasons and in all the flashbacks of their history. But in 'Ji Yeon', they seem to finally find a way to get past it, only to end up separated by the largest divide of all. But let's take this step by step.

Sun and Jin have now realized what everyone else has--- that this freighter does not mean rescue--- and now they've decided, despite the risks, to defect to Locke's camp. (As it turns out, that decision could've gotten them killed right then, but then every day's a picnic on the island.). But Juliet, in a move that seems more desperate than calculated, breaks her oath, and reveals Sun's affair to Jin. Because Jin by necessity wears such a stoic mask, it's hard to tell just how devastating this news is to him. But we get a very good idea when he goes fishing with Bernard, who we haven't seen in a bit. Bernard then does something that no one else on this island has done--- he reveals something secret to another castaway, in this case, telling Jin about Rose's cancer and how she believes that she's cured. He then says the reason they stayed with Jack was because he was a murderer, and that it would be bad karma for them to stay. It's hard to know how much Jin understands, but we know from his own words (way back in 'Exodus') that he believes being on this island is his punishment for his cruel behavior while working for Mr. Paik.

So Jin does one of the most beautiful things of all the characters on the series--- he forgives Sun for her affair. Hell, he even tries to wear some of the guilt as his own, because he knows what a horrible man he became. (Of course, he doesn't know why he ended up working for Mr. Paik, but that's beside the point). So he tells Sun that they will try to find a way off this island, and they will escape.

Now admittedly, there've been signs that the flashes involving Jin and Sun were of different times--- Jin had a monster of a cell phone in his flashes, Sun's refusal to let the doctor remove her wedding the ring, the way the doctors seemed to know by their celebrity status that Jin was dead--- but even knowing all that (or, for that matter, knowing what's going to happen in Season 5) doesn't mean that the final scene is any less gutwrenching. Seeing Sun reduced to her more devastated ,ode, even as she holds Jin's child, is one that is heartbreaking. What makes it even sadder is that after the birth of her child, the gentle and compassionate Sun we've come to know and love, will all but disappear. In her place will come someone crueler and colder, someone--- well, let's be honest--- is a lot like her father Right now, we're not sure why, but there's got to be a reason that Hurley was the only member of the Oceanic 6 to come see her after Ji Yeon's birth (and why he was so glad not to see any of his friends). What we're not sure of is when and how Jin died, and if the Oceanic 6 are lying about his dying in the crash.

Speaking of which, we now know who they are---- Jack, Kate, Hurley, Sayid, Sun, and Aaron. The problem is this leaving a gap in Jack's story big enough to fly a plane through when he said at Kate's trial that only eight people survived the crash. How does that make Aaron--- who must have been born before the survivors were rescued--- one of the people who survived. Yes, they say Kate managed to cut him off at the trial, but I'm not entirely sold on that either. This may be a continuity error that never gets explained.

Meanwhile, on the freighter, Sayid and Desmond are learning that things are actually a lot worse than they thought. They meet the captain of the boat, who seems particular nasty (but then, maybe he's just a little concerned about how the members of his crew are dying right and left), and who seems more than willing to tell them what they want to know. He reveals that this is Charles Widmore's ship (I don't know how Desmond managed to maintain even a moderate level of calm when he learned this) and that the wreckage of flight 815 was found on the ocean floor. Then he reveals that they found 324 dead bodies on the freighter, and that they believe the man responsible is Ben. Unfortunately, all of this is thrown into disbelief when they received a note that says "Don't believe the captain." So now Widmore is saying Ben's responsible, and Ben is blaming Widmore (though they don't know it yet) Both of these men already seem like monsters, but which ones do we believe?

Oh, and we finally find out who Ben's man on the boat, though honestly, we should've figured it out a lot sooner. Considering that Harold Perrineau has been listed as a cast member for the last six episodes, but we haven't seen hide nor hair of him--- even in the flashforwards. So when the doc calls for Kevin Johnson, and we finally see that this is in fact Michael, it's probably the biggest anticlimax this series will ever produce. What makes it even harder to believe is why Michael--- who sold his soul to get off the island--- would be willing to do anything to get back here. I will say this, though: From what we see of Michael's face, he looks like he hasn't gotten a decent night's sleep in a very long time.

Well, we're getting answers but they're not very neat ones. But that we can live without for now. What is more pertinent is that it appears that death is going to separate our favorite couple on the island. And that even that might not be enough to keep them apart.
    My score: 8
  • Good episode, with good details and emotions, but fails to be a great episode!!!!

7.7
    Plot Details/Objective -» This episode follows the same example of the previous one, guess who is the other female character that is not one of the strongest characters? Lost producers decided to make Sun Centric episode now, since after this, will we have the so awaited danger and deaths that we are waiting for. There was another clever move that the writers did, when they present that Captain on the freighter and now we have is side of explanations.

What I Like/Disliked -» Sun flash forward´s was boring, only the ending scenes was very good The writers tricked me. The Captain point of View was interesting to ear. Michael is back and this revelation was predictable.

Overall:

Presentation -» (5/10). Don´t really know why they tried to hide with the cameras sun pregnancy, you can guess that she is out of the island because of the camera angle form the beginning.

Complication Phase -» (7/10). Was interesting when Juliet told the truth to Jin. The set of complication was interesting when the Captain of the freighter have its own explanations.

Climax -» (8/10). The writers tricked the audience with an flashback. How Jin forgive Sun is beautiful, and show how his character has evolved.

Cliffhanger/Ending -» (9/10)The Last scene of this episode is sad, but it's not conclusive.

Flash-forward's -» (10/10). People are reclaiming that the flash forward´s was boring, but when Jack has a flash forward´s in the season 3 finale, everyone forgot how boring his FF was, just because of the Ending, and Sun FF is no different, is boring, yes, but how the writers trick you and the last emotional scenes which is very sad, put this FF at the same level has Jack FF.

Time and Scenes Management -» (6/10). Explanation that you already heard before, Sun FF buying as much time as possible, the same with Jin, of course, with a nice objective, still, when you are watching you notice pretty well.

Dialogues -» (7,5/10). The dialogues were great, you don´t have too much insignificant conversations.
    Action /Adventure -»None.

Drama/Emotions -» (9/10). The last FF scene is not conclusive, but it's a very sad one. Only lost for Charlie death.

Suspense/Tension -» (5/10). Couldn´t notice.

Mystery/Curiosity/Doubts/Hints -» (8/10). One more Oceanic Six revealed. Michael is back, even if this was predictable, was nice to see him back and what he have to offer will be great to see in his flashbacks. The Captain reveals enough, but there are minor hints that indicates that this is not all the truth.

Surprise/Twists -» (8/10). Nothing that you didn´t Know, only Jin faith was a nice surprise and a Sad one for Now.

Thoughts Changer -» (9/10). The writers will trick you easily.

Good episode, can be great for some people, and for other can be good only. I think that this episode is near to be considered great and that it is way I rate it 7,7.
  • Phenomenal.

Desmond and Penny maybe the more popular love story, but it's Sun and Jin that are my favorite couple. Here in Ji Yeon, the writers do something brilliant with the structure of the story that the could never have done in any other season. The ending really tore me apart- if there was ever a time I would have cried watching the show, it would be in this episode. What's heart wrenching is that the couple has finally come full circle in their arc, and their marital issues are finally resolved. Jin does not turn violent when he learns of Sun's great betrayal, he forgives her.
  • A Sun/Jin-centric episode.

All things considered,I absolutely loved this episode since Jin and Sun are two of my favorite characters on the show. I really enjoyed the flash forwards of Sun's life when she gets off the island. I thought that they were very interesting. I also enjoyed the flashbacks of Jin's life. I was glad to see that Juliet was heavily involved in Jin and Sun's story line since she's another one of my favorite characters on the show. I can't believe that Juliet told Jin about Sun's affair with another man or that Sun slapped Juliet. I really enjoyed the scene between Jin and Bernard when they talk about marriage. In closing, I thought that this was a very well written, well acted and well made episode of Lost from everyone involved, and I can't wait to watch the rest of season four of Lost.
  • Duality.

At first I thought: what a waste of a Sun/Jin flashforward. Showing Jin running through the town with a stupid panda(twice...) and Sun struggling with baby birth. Nothing exciting here.

Nothing exciting? Make sure you don't miss the last 10 minutes. The Jin parts were FLASHBACKS!!! I didn't see that twist coming. The ending was incredibly emotional and well done. I can't believe how the writers tricked me once again. Masterful... Sun grieving over Jin's grave with Ji Yeon(her baby) and Hurley... don't tell me that wasn't one of the most powerful and meaningful scenes of Lost to date. Just shows how much this show evolved during the 3 seasons. The island story - Sun's was, as expected somewhat slow and uninteresting.I thought her plan to go to Locke's camp was doomed from start, so it wasn't suspensful at all. However I liked when Juliet spilled the beans about Jae Lee to Jin only to make him force Sun to stay.

Jin was incredibly awesome this episode. I really love how his character was developed, and how warm he is now learning english, treating his wife with proper respect. What made the island story what it is is the boat storyline. What exactly is going on? The boat staff is commiting suicide one by one. Creepy, the writers sure have alot of 'splaining to do!

And, the spy is revealed. Kevin Johnson aka Michael. No big surprises here, but it was done much better than I thought it'd be done. Overall, if the Michael twist wasn't so obvious, and Sun's island plot wasn't as predictable, this would've been easily a 10. This way, "only" a 8.
  • Sad

Sun has flashfowards to the birth of her beautiful baby girl named Ji Yeon. She visits Jin's grave with Hurley.

Jin has flashbacks to when he was trying to complete a mission from Sun's father.

Sun wants to go to Locke's camp, but Juliet doesn't want Sun to leave because pregnant women die on the island. Juliet reveals to Jin that Sun had an affair. Jin and Sun make up. Jin wants to name the baby, Ji Yeon. On the ship, Desmond and Sayid meet the captain. They also meet Kevin Johnson or as they know him, Michael.

This episode was great! The ending was so sad. I don't want Jin to die. It was weird seeing Michael again. I want to know why he's on that boat! This episode gets a 10 out of 10!
  • Poor Jin...

Brilliant episode. The writers of Lost are simply fantastic. What they did with this episode was inspiring. Having a Jin flashback and a Sun flashforward and making us think they were happening at the same time....WOOOOOW. So in this episode we find out that Sun is one of the oceanic six and she will get off the island which was great news for me because Sun is my favorite character. We also find out that Jin dies. I cried during the scene where Sun an Hurley visit Jin's grave. It was so sad !!! Also Sun dosen't trust Charlotte and Dan so she wants to leave to Locke's camp. Juliet tries to stop her so she tells Jin that she had an affair. That was a powerful scene. I especially liked the slap Sun gave Juliet. Sayid and Desmond witness a woman commiting suicide on the boat. We also find out that Micheal is on that boat and he's going by the name of Kevin Johnson. Super terrific episode. Really rocked my world. Two things that stood out were the birlliant writing and the more than amazing acting by Yunjin Kim. She did the giving birth scene superbly and the at Jin's grave scene with emotion and passion with a little bit of Grace included. Favorite character from this episode : Sun !!! She's amazing. No wonder they call her Julia Roberts of Korea.
  • Jin and Sun have a little argument, Desmond and Sayid find some startiling answers onboard the ship, and flashes reveal...stuff. (Spoiler Alert!)

Summary: Sun wants to leave Jack's camp because she belives the frighters are not good people. This forces Juliet to tell Jin about Sun's affair and Jin gets mad. In the end, Jin and Sun reconcile. Meanwhile, onboard the freighter Sayid and Desmond witness a suicide, meet the Captain, and Kevin Johnson. In the flashbacks (and flashforwards) Sun is in labor, and vists Jin's grave, while in flashbacks Jin gives a random guy a panda.

Pros: Some people may say that the Jin/Sun flashes were just lazy but I thought that they were very well done. For once I liked a Jin/Sun episode. The boat scenes reveal a lot, and Sun at Jin's grave (almost) made me shed a tear.
    Cons: Funny as they were, Jin's flashes had nothing to do with the plot. Also they could have saved Michael for the next episode, or at least give him a better returning scene. Overall: Another great addition to Season 4.
  • It had great moments.

7.8
    Flash forward: We see Sun as one of the Oceanic Six and ready to give birth to her baby. We also see Jin rushing to the hospital with a stuffed Panda Bear, looking like she is going to give it to his newborn baby. We eventually find out that something is not what it seems, but that's just a tease for all of you.

Sun on the Island: After finding out that the people from the ship might not have any intentions of getting them off the island, Sun decides to switch camp. Juliet tries to persuade her otherwise, but to no avail. Juliet then does one of the most unthinkable things. Well, after that secret was revealed, I'm surprised Jin reacted so mildly to it, I suspected mad rage Jin from season 1 or from the flashbacks.

The Boat: We find out what the island is doing to these people who come near it and an old face is seen on the boat. It was mostly boring in the beginning, but once that lady with chains came out, it was just getting good.
  • Heaps of broken English and a great episode of Lost overall.

It's all about Jin and Sun who've been pretty minor since the end of Season 3. Sun is told by Juliet that she has to get off the island or she dies but when Sun refuses to listen she takes drastic measures. We flash to Desmond and Sayid on the boat where they meet the Captain but are told by Ben's spy who turns out to be Michael, not to trust him. In the future we see Sun give birth to little Ji Yeon and attend Jin's grave while in the past we see Jin buying a toy Panda for the Chinese Ambassador. This episode is certainly involving with the sense that many answers and revelations are on the way but the ending is a real letdown as every flash thing involving Jin proving to be a massive deception and Sun....well it's just misleading. Any scene with Desmond and Sayid on the boat however are excellent with the meeting of the Captain played by Grant Bowler and the return of Michael or Kevin Johnson but sadly there isn't many scenes to see. Good performances all - around but Daniel Dae Kim as Jin and Yunjin Kim as Sun are the best with genuine and quite heart - breaking performances. On the boat; Grant Bowler was just a little too subdued as the Captain but the rest of the crew were suitably ominous. What this episode lacks in comedy it makes up for in suspense with the freighter proving very creepy but there's something almost contrived about how it's layed out in just a way to get shivers down you spine. The music is basically a stylized version of the "da duh da duh da duh da duh da duh da duh daduhdaduhdaduhdadadaaaaaaaa" from Jaws but is very effective. All in all Ji Yeon is a misleading but largely very entertaining installment of Lost but the way they almost toy with the audience is very cruel, looking forward to the next one.
  • This one got my heart rushing..

The overall episode was pretty average but a few little things the producers put in, which were very sneaky, did it for me.

Firstly, only realising right at the end that Jin was actually in a flashback was so cruel. There was I thinking that for the first time on Lost someone was having a happy ending.. what was I thinking, it's Lost! :@ I really hope Jin won't die, that would be horrible, he is such a good guy. I really think that the original cast has been battered too much, killing off Boone, Shannon, Charlie and more but Jin...!

Secondly, there was the situation on the boat. That was very strange. That captain has something up about him.

Oh ye, then there's the whole Michael coming back as a Mr Kevin Johnston as a janitor on this boat. I can think of one or two questions I want answered!
  • WOW!!!

Loved the whole simultanious flashforwards and flashbacks in this episode which led up to the huge Oh My God!! At the end. Not sure how the shows going to cope now with us knowing a bulk of characters are going to die with only 6+ surviving.. But season 4 of Lost is providing a whole new show compared to the earlier seasons and I am loving it. Quicker, faster and now ALL the centric stories matter and new stuffs happening each ep. Dissapointed about the hiatus but I guess thats just the strike working it's evil agian.
    RIP JIN. We love you
  • Not good

5.2
    Again this episode wasnt what I wanted. you mean most manipulative? misleading? keep in mind Jin's flashbacks served no purpose but to be a red herring they had nothing to do with the story being told, it's bad writing. They can't justify showing that.

Try watching the episode again and not getting irritated knowing he's buying a panda for a stranger.

And whats with the children's comedy music going on during that slapstick scene with the cell phone?

gimme a break ridiculous, waste of LOST-time Hopefully next weeks will be better, and carry us through til April. Again just prey it gets better.
  • The Return of Michael and the Death of Jin.

The episode title Ji Yeon is revealed to be the name of the baby of Jin and Sun. It is also revealed that Sun is one of the oceanic 6 and Jin was not one of the original eight surviving passengers as told by Jack in a previous episode flashforward and since the date of his death on his gravestone is showed to be the day of the crash. But the biggest highlight of the episode was the return and first appearance of Michael since the end of the second season. He appears towards the end of the episode and is known by the doctor of the ship as Kevin Johnson. Also the mystery of the freighter crew is addressed again as Sayid and Desmond meet the Captain. He shows them the black box recovered from the wreckage of oceanic 815 near Indonesia and says that it is one of the many reasons why the boats owner Charles Widmore the father of Desmond's girlfriend wants them to capture Ben. This episode is no doubt one of the best of season 4 and offers a glimpse into future storylines of which I believe will be that Jin is one of many of the characters that will be killed off by the 2009-2010 season which has been stated by ABC to be the last season of Lost.
  • This could be one of the most revealing and confusing episodes ever. (Spoilers) (Maybe)

Ok, this isnt a re-cap thing im just telling you all the things that were revealed in this episode.
    OK the oceananic 6 was filled out meaning, Jack, Kate, Hurley, Sayied (Probably spelt wrong), Aaron, and Sun.
    Bens mole on the ship was revealed to be Michel.

Now in my opinion, after watching the eppisode is that Jin is alive. He was in a flashback while Sun was in a flash forward and even though Sun and Hurley go to visit Jins grave site I dont think he is dead.
    My reasons for this are:
    I refuse to belive that everyone is dead except for the 6 that get off. (That would be too depressing)
    In one of the eppisodes in this season (Confirmed dead) everyone, including the 6 was confirmed to be dead which could mean that she went to the grave because she was missing him and he is alive and still on the island.
    However (contradiciting myself) Im still not sure why the 6 didnt tell the world that everyone else are alive. Perhaps they got threatened into it or something.
    But if this is true than that may MAY mean that everyone else that is on the boat are dead and this would include Michel (Yay) and Desmond (Noooo).
  • sun/jin again

5.9
    i really didn't like all the sun/Jin-centric episodes in the previous seasons, as i have to admit i forwarded them all. i don't get what is in any way interesting about them. There are far more interesting characters on the island, a few of them already killed of for whatever unnecessary reason (boone and shannon, for example) so i have to sit through another Sun/Jin-thing, boring as usual (the affair sun had really doesn't fly anymore being the only interesting thing about the two of them ever). ok, michael showed up, quite a suprise who would have thought. but i think that sun and jin have had enough screen time already.
  • great episode

Sun decides to join Locke, but Juliet tries hard to convince her that it's not the right thing to do. When Sun keeps insisting on going to Locke, Juliet informs Jin of an affair that Sun had with another man back in korea. It makes him really upset. On the freighter, Sayid and Desmond get to meet most of the crew. It's a really exciting episode, the writers did a good job making this episode watchable. We get to see some flashforwards, it tells us what will happen in the future, it's a really cool episode. I can't wait for the next one.
  • Michael!! =D

What can I say about this episode. Lost is awesome. This episode was so sad but also very exciting. I was crying about Jin dying and when Sun went to viste his grave, it as so sad. The whole episode was awesome! Oh and what can I say about Michael, he was awesome..! I just cant wait to find out everything about him. I'm so happy taht one of my favourite characters is back, with a bang! I'm just so happy! The whole cast did an awesome job in this episode, well the poeple who was in it like. I cant wait to watch next weeks episode! Bring it on..Oh and Lost is awesome!
  • Despite the worst kept secret ever, this episode introduces some good elements for the rest of the season.

While the first five episodes were generally well received, the past two have had more problems. Last episode gave us insights that didn't need to be there. This episode had some more controversial elements that have polarized the fandom. There was the return of Michael, a reveal that has been spoiled so many times that only someone who didn't follow news or know who the actors were could be surprised. Then there was the gimmick of having us believe on first viewing that Jin's flashback was a flash forward. Not knowing either would certainly enhance the enjoyment of this episode.

Jin's subplot actually being a flashback left some viewers cheated. A valid criticism is that its screen time, however many minutes, doesn't advance the narrative so much as sets up the twist. I saw it coming from about 20 minutes into the episode. The hints are there, from the bad flashback hair, the bulky cell phone and that no one recognized Jin, despite the fact that he should be a major celebrity. If you don't see this coming, the episode should work a lot more. Such a criticism could be lobbed at Jack's flash-forwards in "Through the Looking Glass", but that episode provided the foundation for the Oceanic Six storyline that's being explored this season.

Although last week's events were a pile of contrivance, they do help motivate this episode. While Daniel obviously wants to help, the freighties objective wasn't rescuing the castaways. Now their covert activities at The Tempest, while sparing most of the people on the island, are coming back to haunt them. Sun's choice to head to Locke's camp makes sense, and it wouldn't be hard to conceive of others leaving the camp when word gets out that the freighties have some secrets.

Juliet's attempt to keep Sun on the beach, breaking doctor-patient confidentiality by telling Jin about the affair, could've gone soapy like some of the elements from his last episode, but it's played out a lot better. Losing nine women due to pregnancy took a huge toll on her and she didn't want Sun to doom herself to that fate by leaving the main camp.

Jin's reaction shows how far he's come as a character. Of course he's going to be upset, but his conversation with Bernard, however limited Jin's side was, somehow convinces him to make it work (if Bernard and Rose's relationship can survive cancer, Jin and Sun's could survive and affair). The whole episode is a showcase for how he's changed. His English has come far enough for him to carry conversations and understand those with him. The most important improvement was his character. Should he have known that Sun cheated while an enforcer, he probably would've killed Jae. Now, he brings her dinner and forgives her and understands why she did it.

Previously it was believed that only Minkowski was the only one sick on the freighter, but this episode shows that problems among the ship's crew ran deeper. Regina, no sooner do we meet her does she throw herself overboard (hopefully we'll see more Zoë Bell in flashbacks because that'd be a waste of a Grindhouse mini reunion between her, Fahey and Andrews). Then there's the blood stain on the wall of Sayid and Desmond's new quarters, clearly the result of a self inflicted gunshot wound. Whoever gave Sayid and Desmond the note and left the sick bay door open, almost certainly Michael, is trying to help them navigate the freighter so they don't wind up like Regina or Minkowski.

Of course the biggest "surprise" of this episode was ruined sometime last summer when they revealed Michael would be back. It didn't make it easier when they had Harold Perrineau's name in the credits despite the fact that he hasn't appeared in a frame all season. This is where the super aware internet following can work against "Lost", as well as other shows. There was no way to keep Michael's return a secret from last summer to now because of the spread of information on the internet. Unfortunately, knowing he'll be back blows the reveal in this episode. If they were to edit out his name from the credits, his return could've been somewhat shocking rather than inevitable to those other than the oblivious viewer. However, the tease of him walking to Sayid and Desmond's new room is not deliberately evasive, which would've further annoyed those who saw it coming.

With Michael's return come several questions. How did he go from being shipped off the island to working on the freighter's crew? Did they just pick him out of the water and give him a job? Why did he use the alias Kevin Johnson? Where is Walt? Michael's return, in addition to continuing his still incomplete story, also seeks to illuminate the freighties' mission and possibly the conditions that lead to the "cabin fever".

An odd thing was the clanging of the metal that Sayid thought was coming from a person rather than a mechanical error. This is likely two things: either it's a person who has lost their mind and is hitting something for no good reason or Michael, possibly Walt, trying to give Sayid and Desmond a message, maybe in morse code. Michael may be more likely to deliver messages personally, but Walt can't.

Captain Gault is an intriguing new element to the freighter saga. Although he is an intimidating character, his crew acting like they're in a malevolent dictatorship where one false move could lead to grave consequences, he is forthcoming with information as Sayid notes. It'd be like if Ben revealed who he was in great detail when Sayid first encountered him in the net. Perhaps this forthcoming persona is all part of a con to get Sayid and Desmond on his side, but considering their warnings, there is a bit of skepticism.

Gault accuses Ben of coming up with 324 bodies to match those of Oceanic 815. This may be the source of his $3.2 million Miles is trying to extort out of him and the significance of that amount. At $10,000 a body, it comes to $3.24 million, rounded down to 3.2 possibly to mislead us. Last season showed us The Others have a lot of resources off island that could stage a plane crash, so it isn't hard for them to put this together even when they only have a few hours to do it. However, considering both Ben's and Gault's stories are marred by our natural distrust in them, neither side may true, despite that neither side contradicts the other yet.

Despite the promise that it would be clear who the Oceanic Six are by the end of the episode, the episode explains only to five. So if it is true, the likeliest candidate of the two other island characters we've seen off is Aaron. The big problem with that is that Jack's testimony in "Eggtown" says that eight people survived the initial crash and two perished before they could be rescued, and Aaron obviously was in Claire's womb the day of the crash. However, considering their cover story deviates entirely from what really happened, it wouldn't be hard for Aaron be already born in their story.

It's odd that only Hurley would make the trip to see Ji Yeon, as the six all have golden passes to fly anywhere free (the exception would be Kate, who at this point in the timeline would be on trial and kept in custody as a flight risk). However, it points to the bigger problem the Oceanic Six is dealing with and will leave Hurley and Jack succumbing hard to the guilt. Bringing them all together would just remind each other of whatever horrible thing they did that got them off the island. This certainly could be the major problem facing Jack in his flash forward.

Many are ready to call Jin a goner because of the emotionally charged farewell at the end of the episode (including the touching "Life and Death" theme) in addition to Jin seemingly completing his redemptive arc. If he turned out OK, it might cheapen this episode's ending. However, Sun's sadness over not having Jin there could be simply because he was left behind on the island which, judging by Jack's desperate attempts to get back in the finale seems almost impossible to relocate. Sun's character flaw is her ability to lie to protect herself, so she might've lied and cheated her way into one of the Oceanic Six's slots in a desperate attempt to save herself from what kills pregnant women on the island. Jin's absence hits her hard when he's not by her side when it happens, knowing he'd be there giant stuffed panda or not. Also, none of her monologue by the grave is explicit enough to imply anything other than he isn't there. If anything, I just want to avoid another discussion of how anyone who gets a DWI on "Lost" gets killed off shortly afterward.

Overall this is a good episode marred by elements it couldn't control. At its heart, this transitional episode does what it's supposed to do. By reintroducing Michael and removing the safety net for Jin, the stakes are being raised ever higher. One can hope the following six episodes can deliver on the promises of the first half.
  • Overall this episode was just ok. Somethings worked for me some did not. This episode really tried to surprise me, but fell flat on its face due to poor advertising techniques.

Let's start with the flashback/flash forward. The commercials for Ji Yeon even said that the last of the Oceanic 6 would be revealed. So before this episode I already knew 5/6: Jack, Kate, Hurley, Sayid, and Aaron. Now using basic math skills I knew that there was only one "survivor" left and since Sun was having her baby I knew it was her and concluded that Jin must be having a flashback. Now let's move on to Micheal er, I mean Kevin. This also would have surprised me had the creators not announced it at Comic-Con and had the commercials not mentioned "a familiar face we never thought we would see again returning". Come on! If they were really trying to surprise us, they probably shouldn't have told us these important pieces of information. The episode was not entirely unsurprising, however. When Juliet revealed to Jin that Sun had cheated on him, I almost crapped my pants! That slap was amazing! Also, I did not expect to see Jin's grave marker, although I have a sneaking suspicion he may not be dead. Not the worst episode but definitely not the best. Here's to this Thursday!
  • "Jin... You were right. It's a girl. The delivery was hard on me... The doctor said I was calling out for you... I wish you could've been there. Jin... She's beautiful. Ji Yeon. I named her just like you wanted. I miss you so much. I miss you so much"

Jin... You were right. It's a girl. The delivery was hard on me... The doctor said I was calling out for you... I wish you could've been there. Jin... She's beautiful. Ji Yeon. I named her just like you wanted. I miss you so much. I miss you so muchJin... You were right. It's a girl. The delivery was hard on me... The doctor said I was calling out for you... I wish you could've been there. Jin... She's beautiful. Ji Yeon. I named her just like you wanted. I miss you so much. I miss you so muchJin... You were right. It's a girl. The delivery was hard on me... The doctor said I was calling out for you... I wish you could've been there. Jin... She's beautiful. Ji Yeon. I named her just like you wanted. I miss you so much. I miss you so muchJin... You were right. It's a girl. The delivery was hard on me... The doctor said I was calling out for you... I wish you could've been there. Jin... She's beautiful. Ji Yeon. I named her just like you wanted. I miss you so much. I miss you so muchJin... You were right. It's a girl. The delivery was hard on me... The doctor said I was calling out for you... I wish you could've been there. Jin... She's beautiful. Ji Yeon. I named her just like you wanted. I miss you so much. I miss you so muchJin... You were right. It's a girl. The delivery was hard on me... The doctor said I was calling out for you... I wish you could've been there. Jin... She's beautiful. Ji Yeon. I named her just like you wanted. I miss you so much. I miss you so muchJin... You were right. It's a girl. The delivery was hard on me... The doctor said I was calling out for you... I wish you could've been there. Jin... She's beautiful. Ji Yeon. I named her just like you wanted. I miss you so much. I miss you so muchJin... You were right. It's a girl. The delivery was hard on me... The doctor said I was calling out for you... I wish you could've been there. Jin... She's beautiful. Ji Yeon. I named her just like you wanted. I miss you so much. I miss you so muchJin... You were right. It's a girl. The delivery was hard on me... The doctor said I was calling out for you... I wish you could've been there. Jin... She's beautiful. Ji Yeon. I named her just like you wanted. I miss you so much. I miss you so muchJin... You were right. It's a girl. The delivery was hard on me... The doctor said I was calling out for you... I wish you could've been there. Jin... She's beautiful. Ji Yeon. I named her just like you wanted. I miss you so much. I miss you so muchJin... You were right. It's a girl. The delivery was hard on me... The doctor said I was calling out for you... I wish you could've been there. Jin... She's beautiful. Ji Yeon. I named her just like you wanted. I miss you so much. I miss you so muchJin... You were right. It's a girl. The delivery was hard on me... The doctor said I was calling out for you... I wish you could've been there. Jin... She's beautiful. Ji Yeon. I named her just like you wanted. I miss you so much. I miss you so muchJin... You were right. It's a girl. The delivery was hard on me... The doctor said I was calling out for you... I wish you could've been there. Jin... She's beautiful. Ji Yeon. I named her just like you wanted. I miss you so much. I miss you so muchJin... You were right. It's a girl. The delivery was hard on me... The doctor said I was calling out for you... I wish you could've been there. Jin... She's beautiful. Ji Yeon. I named her just like you wanted. I miss you so much. I miss you so muchJin... You were right. It's a girl. The delivery was hard on me... The doctor said I was calling out for you... I wish you could've been there. Jin... She's beautiful. Ji Yeon. I named her just like you wanted. I miss you so much. I miss you so muchJin... You were right. It's a girl. The delivery was hard on me... The doctor said I was calling out for you... I wish you could've been there. Jin... She's beautiful. Ji Yeon. I named her just like you wanted. I miss you so much. I miss you so muchJin... You were right. It's a girl. The delivery was hard on me... The doctor said I was calling out for you... I wish you could've been there. Jin... She's beautiful. Ji Yeon. I named her just like you wanted. I miss you so much. I miss you so muchJin... You were right. It's a girl. The delivery was hard on me... The doctor said I was calling out for you... I wish you could've been there. Jin... She's beautiful. Ji Yeon. I named her just like you wanted. I miss you so much. I miss you so muchJin... You were right. It's a girl. The delivery was hard on me... The doctor said I was calling out for you... I wish you could've been there. Jin... She's beautiful. Ji Yeon. I named her just like you wanted. I miss you so much. I miss you so muchJin... You were right. It's a girl. The delivery was hard on me... The doctor said I was calling out for you... I wish you could've been there. Jin... She's beautiful. Ji Yeon. I named her just like you wanted. I miss you so much. I miss you so muchJin... You were right. It's a girl. The delivery was hard on me... The doctor said I was calling out for you... I wish you could've been there. Jin... She's beautiful. Ji Yeon. I named her just like you wanted. I miss you so much. I miss you so muchJin... You were right. It's a girl. The delivery was hard on me... The doctor said I was calling out for you... I wish you could've been there. Jin... She's beautiful. Ji Yeon. I named her just like you wanted. I miss you so much. I miss you so muchJin... You were right. It's a girl. The delivery was hard on me... The doctor said I was calling out for you... I wish you could've been there. Jin... She's beautiful. Ji Yeon. I named her just like you wanted. I miss you so much. I miss you so muchJin... You were right. It's a girl. The delivery was hard on me... The doctor said I was calling out for you... I wish you could've been there. Jin... She's beautiful. Ji Yeon. I named her just like you wanted. I miss you so much. I miss you so muchJin... You were right. It's a girl. The delivery was hard on me... The doctor said I was calling out for you... I wish you could've been there. Jin... She's beautiful. Ji Yeon. I named her just like you wanted. I miss you so much. I miss you so muchJin... You were right. It's a girl. The delivery was hard on me... The doctor said I was calling out for you... I wish you could've been there. Jin... She's beautiful. Ji Yeon. I named her just like you wanted. I miss you so much. I miss you so much
  • that was the worst episode of lost evers

that was the worst episode of lost evers!! "This is the first episode of Lost to contain both a flash-forward and a flashback within the same episode."
    thats the stupidest thing ever

and what the hell was jin at in this episode, there was no point in showing him in the past trying to get a teddy for some random baby

its got to a point now that we know who lives, who dies and who gets off the island, the suspence is ruined. its all set up now for a real bad ending

season 4 has sucked becasuse of the flash-forward scenes the writers need to get there act together
  • I enjoyed this. The points of view of the flashbacks/flashforwards kept me guessing until the end!

I enjoyed this. The points of view of the flashbacks/flashforwards kept me guessing until the end! I thought Hurley was excellent and the bit where 'Kevin' is introduced was a perfect lost moment even though I had already guessed Ben's spy was him. Sun was excellent as the grieving widow and for once events on the island were overshadowed by what was going on on the boat and in the flashback/flashforward. Ir will be interesting to see if Jin has kicked the bucket or is instead back on the island. I cannot wait to se what Sayid says to 'Kevin' next week. Then we have to wait for the second half of the series. It is sooooo not fair!
  • I SO didn't see that coming!

As I watched this episode, and maybe even before, I started thinking about how they could weave flashbacks into an episode that also had flashforwards. This episodes does that and SO much more. It is amazing and sad. The actress who plays Sun is wonderful; and Daniel D. Kim is great as well. I did NOT see the (S P O I L E R A L E R T * * * * * * * * * * * *) death

(* * * * * * * * * * * *E N D S P O I L E R A L E R T) coming until a little after Hurley showed up. Then I realized what was going on-for sure, at least (I had a suspicion)-and became very sad. In all, this episode was extremely well done. :-)
  • Much improved from last week. It's not quite another episode like THe COnstant, but that would be pretty hard to match.

A Jin and Sun centric episode with a clever use of the flashbacks and flashforwards which I didn't see coming.

THis episodes reveals to us the sixth survivor of Oceanic Flight 715, and we also get some much needed information of Sun's pregnancy and the birth of her baby. I was caught completely by surprise with the past and present scenes which ended with a big reveal that involves one of the characters and seems as if it's going to be pivotal to the series. I guess will see.

Some of the main characters made only cameo appearances, with the exception of Sayid and Desmond who find out who Ben's secret spy is. THis was another scene that wasn't much of a surprise because most of us new ahead of time. THere was also a welcomed return of Bernard as he goes fishing with Jin and explains Karma. He is one of my least favorite Lost characters, but this time I didn't mind him so much. In fact his scene with Jin helped with Jin and Sun reconciling. BOth Jin and Sun got into a small argument because Juliette reveals to Jin that Sun cheated on him. A pretty mean thing to do, and I was starting to like her more, but then it's Juliette and she was one of The Others at one time.

THis episode would've been in the eight category, but the surprise reveal at the end boosts it up another point.
  • this spoilfoward wasn't that bad. mixing it with a flashback was brilliant.

i knew they were going to kill jin when the actor was aressted on a dui charge last year so no surprise there. you could tell jin's was a flashback because of his anger, the large cellphone & getting a panda (he's korean, not chinese). it was well done & i can understand how she wouldn't trust juliet after what she heard from kate & daniel but i was not expecting juliet to betray her trust that way to get them to stay!! that was a shock but at least it was done to protect the baby. juliet can not handle losing mothers to the island & i can see how she would do anything to save sun. having bernard show up & remind him how he was a bad husband before the island & how it was his fault that she cheated was another stroke of brilliance by the writers. having her talk to the tombstone was another emotional scene & was quite sad. i was excited to see zoe bell from deathproof on the show but then she killed herself! i guess jumping off a freighter with chains wrapped around yourself is a dangerous stunt but it was odd how none of the crew members tried to help. sayid is getting caught up in the mystery so it ties into his spoilfoward but desmond should really be asking about getting saved & seeing penny again.
< 1 2 3