Lost

Ji Yeon

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Mar 13, 2008 on ABC

• We have lost our Constant.

I feel robbed.
    For over 2 seasons we've been waiting for the return of Michael, and this is how they reward us? With one of the most telegraphed reveals in the show's history? No subtlety. Huge hints all along the way (anyone who hadn't already figured out that he was Ben's man certainly would have gotten it by any of the hints tonight). And then that long walk down the hallway... not a dramatic reintroduction, not even a shocking one, just an anticlimactic walk where we could tell who that janitor was long before he had reached Sayid and Desmond. Then there was Sun. Tonight she had all the complexity and depth of a sheet of paper. Suddenly, after deceiving Jin for years, she simply refuses to lie, even to protect herself or her child? She has no emotion, no authentic motivation, and even her slap at Juliette seemed to lack any real feeling. If you didn't already dread Sun/Jin-centric episodes you certainly have reason to now.
    And I have to mention the rules of filmmaking that were violated tonight. Yes, Lost has managed to get us to suspend disbelief more than most shows can, and has convinced us to accept that we can travel both forwards and backwards in time (and don't get me wrong, the flash forwards and flashbacks have had their moments of true greatness), but having a combined flash-forward-flashback intercut scene is a bridge too far. How are we ever to believe that what we are seeing is really what we are seeing? I can just imagine a scene with Jack standing on the beach talking, facing left, and Locke standing at the barracks, facing right, and the editors cutting it so that it looks like they are talking to each other. You can get us to suspend any disbelief, but we need to have certain film conventions to hold onto, or we simply won't be able to follow along without feeling like we've been conned. We, like Desmond, need our Constant.
    And tonight, Lost threw away her phone number.
  • Yet again, the writers on Lost exemplify why this show will never ever EVER reach the high standards of other shows and will always be a perrenial underachiever

Firsly i would like to question how people can say that this episode was any good at all. Though it was not the worst episode of the show to date it wasn't far off. I dont really see why the show took the direction of the flash forwards as to me it doesnt seem too necessary and has removed part of the mystery of Lost. Anyway on to this episode.

I can sum up what happened in one word. Nothing! Considering there were only 8 shows filmed pre the strike this is a worry what the final ep recorded is brining. There was a total waste of on screen time whilst we were watching Jin chase the panda, yes we all thought he was going to see Sun. But it would have made no difference had we seen him running around at all. It was just a useless ploy to waste time on the episode, as it was revealed at the end he was dead anyway so why all the run around. Other than the fact Jin was dead the only thing that was found out is that Michael is on the boat, which anyone should have guessed about 3 weeks ago if not more. One of the most obvious plot lines ever written!

The use of a whole episode to show us that Sun has a baby and Jin is dead and introducing michael on the boat is just a joke and makes a mockery of us as the watching public. Now we know what happens in the future to Sun and Jin why bother to show us any more about them at all, it serves no purpose to us. The same can be said for Kate in Eggtown, we now know she is off the island and she has essentially got away without a prison term. So what if she has Aaron. The ineptitude of people to think these things through and essentially end the development of characters who have been key to the show as a whole just outlines the inferiority of this show compared with the likes of Heroes, Prison Break etc. if you ask why i still watch, its because there is nothing else on tv at the moment and i being that i have watched this much i will be frustrated if i miss the one episode where the writers show a glimmer of sense and make use of ths onscreen time with something actually happening worth a 45 minute watch
  • that was the worst episode of lost evers

that was the worst episode of lost evers!! "This is the first episode of Lost to contain both a flash-forward and a flashback within the same episode."
    thats the stupidest thing ever

and what the hell was jin at in this episode, there was no point in showing him in the past trying to get a teddy for some random baby

its got to a point now that we know who lives, who dies and who gets off the island, the suspence is ruined. its all set up now for a real bad ending

season 4 has sucked becasuse of the flash-forward scenes the writers need to get there act together
  • Boring, overrated, paint dry episode

These flash forwards don't add much if anything in the way of quality from what has been seen, and in typical fashion, because it's a newer episode, it's get heavily (and I emthpsis it totally this time) overrated.

Yunjim Kim is a good actress, her character "sun" is very likable, the problem is, everything surrounding her in this episode is fluff, she's not given enough good content, and when she's given content, it's drab, contrived and melodramatic day-time drama muck, instantly forgettable. It's a shame really, Evangeline Lilly gets more screen time for the most part in lost, more story lines, more pivotal roles, yet it's pretty clear Yunjim Kim is better on screen, if anything I suspect Lilly got the role more on her aesthetic appearance than her acting skills. At the moment, lost feels like a raft floating at sea, sure, there is more information being put forward, but there's no shining jewel moments from this season so far, it's all so-so, no button that will destroy the world, no monster killing off people, for the most part it's. Locke's group, Jacks group, and the guys on the boat, other than that, not alot going on, charisma is lacking.

Overall, I gave this episode 5, 4 out of those 5 go to Yunjim Kim, 1 goes to the 95% fluff of the episode, it was just abit, well.....boring.
  • Jin and Sun Episode.

Well just got done watching Lost. I must say that is one of the weakest episodes of the new season so far. Although there was a clever thing done by the writers by trying to make the viewers second guess the whole Jin/Sun flashback and flash forward thing, there just wasn't enough for this episode to get a higher rating. The one thing that this episode did have going for it was everything that happened on the boat. That seemed to be the strongest thing that this episode had going for it. Also there was no way you couldn't have known that the spy was Micheal, there was a lot of key things from this season that gave it away. But anyway just blah episode of Lost hopefully next weeks will be better.
  • A little bit better than the last few weeks, but still...

6.3
    After the unadulterated silliness of "The Constant" and the somewhat predictable "The Other Woman", this episode returns to a realistic level of interpersonal relationships which has been sorely lacking in the show of late (Desmond's sappy pining for Penny while trying to stabilize himself within the space/time continuum does NOT qualify!). It shows quite clearly that Jin realized how much he had changed over the course of his relationship and marriage to Sun and how close he came to losing her. What I found slightly annoying was the fact that the writers seriously overplayed the flashback/flashforward device in that they were doing both at the same time. When it became apparent that the "flashforward" scenes of Jin (while Sun was having the baby) were actually flashBACKS to a time prior to Oceanic 815 ever leaving the ground, I was tempted to find the writers of this episode and give them a refresher course on the limits of "Suspension of Disbelief" in writing. Granted.....in the context of this show, suspension of disbelief is required....within limits! If they continue to go way past the acceptable line, then it won't be long before every storyline gets wrapped up with a great big "Deus Ex Machina" ending. The fans who have stuck by this show when absolutely NO ONE knew where it was going or even where it was deserve better than that.
  • Not good

5.2
    Again this episode wasnt what I wanted. you mean most manipulative? misleading? keep in mind Jin's flashbacks served no purpose but to be a red herring they had nothing to do with the story being told, it's bad writing. They can't justify showing that.

Try watching the episode again and not getting irritated knowing he's buying a panda for a stranger.

And whats with the children's comedy music going on during that slapstick scene with the cell phone?

gimme a break ridiculous, waste of LOST-time Hopefully next weeks will be better, and carry us through til April. Again just prey it gets better.
  • The spy on the ship is revealed and Sun's future is shown as well as her desire to go to Locke's camp. Jin finds out about Sun's affair.

One word to describe this episode. RIDICULOUS. After this episode ended, my jaw DROPPED. I couldn't BELIEVE half the stuff that happened. I wished they made more episodes like this. It's so confusing and hooks audiences up so much more. I really want to know why Jin and Sun are not together in the future. Why does Sun think Jin is dead and why is Jin married to someone new? Does he know that his daughter was just born? You know that Sun is one of the Oceanic Six, but is Jin? Maybe he came back later on? We don't even know when he came back. There are so many new questions that have arisen due to this episode. I just want to know WHAT HAPPENED?!??!
  • sun/jin again

5.9
    i really didn't like all the sun/Jin-centric episodes in the previous seasons, as i have to admit i forwarded them all. i don't get what is in any way interesting about them. There are far more interesting characters on the island, a few of them already killed of for whatever unnecessary reason (boone and shannon, for example) so i have to sit through another Sun/Jin-thing, boring as usual (the affair sun had really doesn't fly anymore being the only interesting thing about the two of them ever). ok, michael showed up, quite a suprise who would have thought. but i think that sun and jin have had enough screen time already.
  • LOST is my favorite show but I have to agree with the review written by gsager1 on this one!

6.3
    For me the flashbacks and fast forwards have always helped form an essential part of the story but lately they simply feel that the writers and producers are just running out of ideas to fill 1 hour of commercial television time. I certainly agree with gsager1 in the way they used them tonight - I couldn't fathom it! The Panda sequence probably had everyone going a bit and yes that was clever but guys,ENOUGH please! There seems to be more content flashing forward and backward than in the PRESENT. By the way, who the hell wrote the dialog between Jin and Bernard on the boat? Do you recall the with wedding rings line "You and I not married" says Bernard - PLEASE!!! Anyway, don't get me wrong guys (producers if you're reading) the flashbacks and fast forwards are fine in moderation. Give us more Island drama, conflict - that's what we love!! Love ya LOST! Don't get found! What will we do!??
  • Great moments, but a whole lot of nothing going on!

7.2
    The whole episode really just seemed like a filler episode. They needed to fill in the episodes, and they didn't really have much to reveal, well they never can reveal too much I guess, otherwise it wouldn't be called, lost. The whole story with with the baby, was ok, I guess it needed to be told at some point, it just wasn't really that interesting. The flashbacks really throws off the consistency of flash-forwards in this season, and the best scenes really were on the boat. The captain's direct and reliable answers, were perfect after the friendly warning to not trust the captain. The girl who would rather die than spend one more minute on that boat, and their room, where the last guest would rather blow their brains out than continue to that boat, were all the best moments of this episode. Can't wait to learn more about the boat.
  • Good episode, with good details and emotions, but fails to be a great episode!!!!

7.7
    Plot Details/Objective -» This episode follows the same example of the previous one, guess who is the other female character that is not one of the strongest characters? Lost producers decided to make Sun Centric episode now, since after this, will we have the so awaited danger and deaths that we are waiting for. There was another clever move that the writers did, when they present that Captain on the freighter and now we have is side of explanations.

What I Like/Disliked -» Sun flash forward´s was boring, only the ending scenes was very good The writers tricked me. The Captain point of View was interesting to ear. Michael is back and this revelation was predictable.

Overall:

Presentation -» (5/10). Don´t really know why they tried to hide with the cameras sun pregnancy, you can guess that she is out of the island because of the camera angle form the beginning.

Complication Phase -» (7/10). Was interesting when Juliet told the truth to Jin. The set of complication was interesting when the Captain of the freighter have its own explanations.

Climax -» (8/10). The writers tricked the audience with an flashback. How Jin forgive Sun is beautiful, and show how his character has evolved.

Cliffhanger/Ending -» (9/10)The Last scene of this episode is sad, but it's not conclusive.

Flash-forward's -» (10/10). People are reclaiming that the flash forward´s was boring, but when Jack has a flash forward´s in the season 3 finale, everyone forgot how boring his FF was, just because of the Ending, and Sun FF is no different, is boring, yes, but how the writers trick you and the last emotional scenes which is very sad, put this FF at the same level has Jack FF.

Time and Scenes Management -» (6/10). Explanation that you already heard before, Sun FF buying as much time as possible, the same with Jin, of course, with a nice objective, still, when you are watching you notice pretty well.

Dialogues -» (7,5/10). The dialogues were great, you don´t have too much insignificant conversations.
    Action /Adventure -»None.

Drama/Emotions -» (9/10). The last FF scene is not conclusive, but it's a very sad one. Only lost for Charlie death.

Suspense/Tension -» (5/10). Couldn´t notice.

Mystery/Curiosity/Doubts/Hints -» (8/10). One more Oceanic Six revealed. Michael is back, even if this was predictable, was nice to see him back and what he have to offer will be great to see in his flashbacks. The Captain reveals enough, but there are minor hints that indicates that this is not all the truth.

Surprise/Twists -» (8/10). Nothing that you didn´t Know, only Jin faith was a nice surprise and a Sad one for Now.

Thoughts Changer -» (9/10). The writers will trick you easily.

Good episode, can be great for some people, and for other can be good only. I think that this episode is near to be considered great and that it is way I rate it 7,7.
  • Juliet is forced to reveal some startling news to Jin when Sun threatens to move to Locke's camp. Meanwhile, Sayid and Desmond begin to get an idea of the freighter's crew when they meet the ship's captain. Bla Bla Bla Bla! Who cares Michael is back?

This episode was kinda boring to me until the end. And I can't say boring about alot of Lost episodes but if I had to pick one then this one is it. And is it just me or is Juliet as boring as it gets? Her character has no personality whatsoever and sometimes she scares the crap out of me when she gives us that blank stare. There is not alot to complain about when it comes to Lost. Now Michael is back and you know Sawyer, Kate and Jack want a piece of his hyde. But where is Walt? Can't wait til next week.
  • Now that, my friends, is how you both advance a story, introduce new questions, solve old mysteries and pull off a great reveal!

Ok, first things first, let's get the easy stuff out of the way.....

In what may be the worst kept secret in this show's history, Micheal is/was the man on the boat. Love the way they introduced him if for nothing more than the fact that I can guarantee most Lost viewers expected him to be the main cliffhanger at the end.

That really speaks volumes to the overall greatness of this episode: What I was looking forward to for weeks was just a way to get to the main climax. This episode had me hooked on the whole Jin/Sun thing and that's impressive. Usually, their story doesn't do it for me.

I had a feeling right around the time of the "karma" talk on the boat that the flashforwards weren't what we thought they were going to be. I initally thought that Jin had left Sun after finding out about the affair (which, BTW, was a nice cold turn by Juliet). But, with the ultimate reveal at the end truely surprising me, I find myself looking back and being happy with the way this episode turned out.

So, now we have a while to deduce whether or not Jin is one of the Oceanic Six, how he died, and what's going to happen next.

Next week's episode has been billed since the start of this season as a mind-blower and I can't wait. Everything seems to be coming to a head, let's hope it continues to be as good as this weeks and the Constant were.
  • Sad

Sun has flashfowards to the birth of her beautiful baby girl named Ji Yeon. She visits Jin's grave with Hurley.

Jin has flashbacks to when he was trying to complete a mission from Sun's father.

Sun wants to go to Locke's camp, but Juliet doesn't want Sun to leave because pregnant women die on the island. Juliet reveals to Jin that Sun had an affair. Jin and Sun make up. Jin wants to name the baby, Ji Yeon. On the ship, Desmond and Sayid meet the captain. They also meet Kevin Johnson or as they know him, Michael.

This episode was great! The ending was so sad. I don't want Jin to die. It was weird seeing Michael again. I want to know why he's on that boat! This episode gets a 10 out of 10!
  • This one falls awfully close to "unnecessarily sad." But this might only be the case because of the quality character development on the series.

I was a little blindsided by the quasi-resolution to the Sun/Jin story. I realize there are "more stories to tell" even in the context of their relationship. But the pronouncement that Jin is yet another one of the 815 survivors whose chance at redemption is ultimately lost is a bit dour. You can argue that Jin was redeemed and then he died. But that isn't how the redemption story ends. At least it is not how it should end. This is where I use the term "unecessarily sad." This describes moments in literature, movies, television, etc. where the story could have ended just fine but then quickly takes a tragic turn and then immediately resolves. "Message in a Bottle" is an example of this. Jack Arnold in the series finale of "The Wonder Years" is another. But maybe Jin's death is only so affecting because of the character work that was done right under our noses. The Jin/Sun/(Michael/Jae Lee) triangle was drug out from "...in translation" up until this epsiode. It felt like the audience was being jerked around with "The Whole Truth" not giving us the truth and then this seasons "you mean our baby?" seemingly calling "DOC" into question. But maybe this was all a medium to paint the picture of a dynamic and ultimately redeemed Jin. His comments in Sun's tent near the end of this episode all but spell that out for us. (given the subtitles I guess they did literally spell it out for us). Jin stated that he is not the same man that Sun cheated on. He is not the same man that was going to kill a cab driver and then a stuff panda bear salesman over a "job." He is not the same man who hides his affections from Sun. "Where Sun goes, I go." From day one, this has really been the case with Jin - much to his undoing. But ultimately, this is also what redeems him on the island. It seemed that this had been accomplished in "Exodus" or maybe even as late as "Collision" and "What Kate Did." But I'm not sure Jin could have forgiven Sun at that time. By now he can. He is now at the stage of redemption Boone was after "Hearts and Minds." Of course this may also mean his doom is at hand. Sayid and Desmond's meeting with the captain begs one question: Why not trust the captain? Everything he said seemed legitimate. As Sayid noticed, he seemed forthcoming. So was Michael's note an attempt to manipulate Sayid and Desmond as per Ben's orders? If not pursuant to Ben's orders, then at least to his motivations? Michael was more interesting when he was wrongly hated by Jin than when he became the assassin blindly devoted to Walt. It is interesting that Michael is re-introduced in a story centered around Sun and Jin. Does this foreshadow Jin's ultimate fate? Not sure but I would like to think the two stories are connected. This season has been exceptional at producing stand alone stories and yet moving the overall story arc along at a rapid pace.
  • Weird episode! (with spoilers)

First of all, I knew Michael was on the boat!!! And I think he is Ben's man! Ben probably sent him directly to the boat in the end of season 2! The question on my mind is if Walt is on the island! Did Locke have an alucination or was Walt really there?

I'm sad Jin is dead. He is/was a good guy! And in no moment I thought he was going to see his daughter be born....He was much younger on the flash back, and his cell phone was very big!!

The Oceanic Six...curious story...so, Ben implanted a fake airplane under the sea with 324 bodies (23 and 4, two numbers!!)...So far we know that Sayid, Hurley, Jack, Kate and Sun are out...Does Aaron join the count? If yes, we know all 6, but i guess he is out of it!

Looking foward for the next episode!!
  • Review (Episode Spoilers)

I'm going to break my review down into the three main parts of the episode. The beach scenes, The boat scenes, and the fake out in the flashes.

The beach scenes revolved mainly around Jin, Sun, Kate, Juliet, and Benard. Sun wants to leave and go to Locke's camp, but doesn't seem to want to listen to reason. I do suppose that she has a point - she doesn't trust Daniel Faraday or Charlotte Lewis being around the camp. It just felt very - rushed. She likely should have guessed that Lewis and Faraday weren't good when Jack, Kate, and Juliet had to run after them. That was another thing about the island scenes that wasn't my preference - Kate, Juliet, Faraday, Jack, and Lewis were all back from "The Tempest" at the beginning of the episode. I suppose everything about the station was somewhat ansered, but at the end of "The Other Woman" they are all going back inside for further explaination of the station and at the beginning of this one they are all back. The camps being split really hurt this part of the storytelling I think. They had really no choice but to bring them all back because who else is around camp for drama? Jin / Sun / Benard / Rose? That's it. Had Claire, Hurley, and Sawyer been at the camp I think the other group could have stayed at the Tempest. The rest of the island scenes just felt really slow, like nothing was going on. In earlier episodes I felt this way too - but in The Economist we were getting to know Miles along the way, In Eggtown we got some Sawyer/Kate action. This episodes island scenes were just kind of in a standstill. Jin and Benards conversation on the boat, while it felt sincere, just seemed like it was put there simply to hold up a few minutes of the show.

The boat scenes were very dark and chilling, as they tend to be. Michael (Kevin Johnson) was a very easily foreseen twist coming for those of us who listened to the ComicCon podcast a while back, but the fact they didn't make the handshake the end of the episode was good job on their part. I also liked seeing Kevin Johnson in the scene where Regina jumps off the boat - just kind of off to the side. Seems Michael is just sabotaging just about everything. It looks like Keamy and Frank Lipidus bounced onto the Helicopter and left. I really liked Keamys character and hope that he is going to the island. I think his big, tough guy attitude could really get some interesting character interactions with Sawyer / Locke / Jack. Regina killing herself just has me all messed up. Something is wrong with the people on the boat - that's a fact. Regina kills herself. Minkowski kills himself. Not sure I like the fact all these people are dying before we even get to know them - but hey, flashbacks are there for a reason, right?

The fake out with the backs / forwards wasn't worth it. It got me, don't get me wrong, but I just didn't see the point. Jins flashback was there for the purpose to ONLY trick the viewers. It didn't give anything to his character at all, it was put there with its only purpose being to fool us and nothing more. Suns part of her flash was pretty boring right up until the final scene with Hurley at the gravesite. If Jin is dead or not should be a hot topic in the online community for the next couple of weeks. Overall, the island scenes were average. Dialouge very shaky at times and Jin is almost speaking perfect english. I know they have time - but come on. He speaks really well seemingly out of nowhere. The boat scenes were solid, and the flash trick just wasn't worth the time that went into making them. This is the weakest episode of the season for me.

The Beginning of the End - 9.7
    Confirmed Dead - 9.5
    The Economist - 9.6
    Eggtown - 9.2
    The Constant - 10+
    The Other Woman - 9.3
    Ji Yeon - 8.9

Season Average - 9.46 (Beating out my current #1, season five of 24, by .01)
  • Much improved from last week. It's not quite another episode like THe COnstant, but that would be pretty hard to match.

A Jin and Sun centric episode with a clever use of the flashbacks and flashforwards which I didn't see coming.

THis episodes reveals to us the sixth survivor of Oceanic Flight 715, and we also get some much needed information of Sun's pregnancy and the birth of her baby. I was caught completely by surprise with the past and present scenes which ended with a big reveal that involves one of the characters and seems as if it's going to be pivotal to the series. I guess will see.

Some of the main characters made only cameo appearances, with the exception of Sayid and Desmond who find out who Ben's secret spy is. THis was another scene that wasn't much of a surprise because most of us new ahead of time. THere was also a welcomed return of Bernard as he goes fishing with Jin and explains Karma. He is one of my least favorite Lost characters, but this time I didn't mind him so much. In fact his scene with Jin helped with Jin and Sun reconciling. BOth Jin and Sun got into a small argument because Juliette reveals to Jin that Sun cheated on him. A pretty mean thing to do, and I was starting to like her more, but then it's Juliette and she was one of The Others at one time.

THis episode would've been in the eight category, but the surprise reveal at the end boosts it up another point.
  • This could be one of the most revealing and confusing episodes ever. (Spoilers) (Maybe)

Ok, this isnt a re-cap thing im just telling you all the things that were revealed in this episode.
    OK the oceananic 6 was filled out meaning, Jack, Kate, Hurley, Sayied (Probably spelt wrong), Aaron, and Sun.
    Bens mole on the ship was revealed to be Michel.

Now in my opinion, after watching the eppisode is that Jin is alive. He was in a flashback while Sun was in a flash forward and even though Sun and Hurley go to visit Jins grave site I dont think he is dead.
    My reasons for this are:
    I refuse to belive that everyone is dead except for the 6 that get off. (That would be too depressing)
    In one of the eppisodes in this season (Confirmed dead) everyone, including the 6 was confirmed to be dead which could mean that she went to the grave because she was missing him and he is alive and still on the island.
    However (contradiciting myself) Im still not sure why the 6 didnt tell the world that everyone else are alive. Perhaps they got threatened into it or something.
    But if this is true than that may MAY mean that everyone else that is on the boat are dead and this would include Michel (Yay) and Desmond (Noooo).
  • I enjoyed this. The points of view of the flashbacks/flashforwards kept me guessing until the end!

I enjoyed this. The points of view of the flashbacks/flashforwards kept me guessing until the end! I thought Hurley was excellent and the bit where 'Kevin' is introduced was a perfect lost moment even though I had already guessed Ben's spy was him. Sun was excellent as the grieving widow and for once events on the island were overshadowed by what was going on on the boat and in the flashback/flashforward. Ir will be interesting to see if Jin has kicked the bucket or is instead back on the island. I cannot wait to se what Sayid says to 'Kevin' next week. Then we have to wait for the second half of the series. It is sooooo not fair!
  • Phenomenal.

Desmond and Penny maybe the more popular love story, but it's Sun and Jin that are my favorite couple. Here in Ji Yeon, the writers do something brilliant with the structure of the story that the could never have done in any other season. The ending really tore me apart- if there was ever a time I would have cried watching the show, it would be in this episode. What's heart wrenching is that the couple has finally come full circle in their arc, and their marital issues are finally resolved. Jin does not turn violent when he learns of Sun's great betrayal, he forgives her.
  • "Jin... You were right. It's a girl. The delivery was hard on me... The doctor said I was calling out for you... I wish you could've been there. Jin... She's beautiful. Ji Yeon. I named her just like you wanted. I miss you so much. I miss you so much"

Jin... You were right. It's a girl. The delivery was hard on me... The doctor said I was calling out for you... I wish you could've been there. Jin... She's beautiful. Ji Yeon. I named her just like you wanted. I miss you so much. I miss you so muchJin... You were right. It's a girl. The delivery was hard on me... The doctor said I was calling out for you... I wish you could've been there. Jin... She's beautiful. Ji Yeon. I named her just like you wanted. I miss you so much. I miss you so muchJin... You were right. It's a girl. The delivery was hard on me... The doctor said I was calling out for you... I wish you could've been there. Jin... She's beautiful. Ji Yeon. I named her just like you wanted. I miss you so much. I miss you so muchJin... You were right. It's a girl. The delivery was hard on me... The doctor said I was calling out for you... I wish you could've been there. Jin... She's beautiful. Ji Yeon. I named her just like you wanted. I miss you so much. I miss you so muchJin... You were right. It's a girl. The delivery was hard on me... The doctor said I was calling out for you... I wish you could've been there. Jin... She's beautiful. Ji Yeon. I named her just like you wanted. I miss you so much. I miss you so muchJin... You were right. It's a girl. The delivery was hard on me... The doctor said I was calling out for you... I wish you could've been there. Jin... She's beautiful. Ji Yeon. I named her just like you wanted. I miss you so much. I miss you so muchJin... You were right. It's a girl. The delivery was hard on me... The doctor said I was calling out for you... I wish you could've been there. Jin... She's beautiful. Ji Yeon. I named her just like you wanted. I miss you so much. I miss you so muchJin... You were right. It's a girl. The delivery was hard on me... The doctor said I was calling out for you... I wish you could've been there. Jin... She's beautiful. Ji Yeon. I named her just like you wanted. I miss you so much. I miss you so muchJin... You were right. It's a girl. The delivery was hard on me... The doctor said I was calling out for you... I wish you could've been there. Jin... She's beautiful. Ji Yeon. I named her just like you wanted. I miss you so much. I miss you so muchJin... You were right. It's a girl. The delivery was hard on me... The doctor said I was calling out for you... I wish you could've been there. Jin... She's beautiful. Ji Yeon. I named her just like you wanted. I miss you so much. I miss you so muchJin... You were right. It's a girl. The delivery was hard on me... The doctor said I was calling out for you... I wish you could've been there. Jin... She's beautiful. Ji Yeon. I named her just like you wanted. I miss you so much. I miss you so muchJin... You were right. It's a girl. The delivery was hard on me... The doctor said I was calling out for you... I wish you could've been there. Jin... She's beautiful. Ji Yeon. I named her just like you wanted. I miss you so much. I miss you so muchJin... You were right. It's a girl. The delivery was hard on me... The doctor said I was calling out for you... I wish you could've been there. Jin... She's beautiful. Ji Yeon. I named her just like you wanted. I miss you so much. I miss you so muchJin... You were right. It's a girl. The delivery was hard on me... The doctor said I was calling out for you... I wish you could've been there. Jin... She's beautiful. Ji Yeon. I named her just like you wanted. I miss you so much. I miss you so muchJin... You were right. It's a girl. The delivery was hard on me... The doctor said I was calling out for you... I wish you could've been there. Jin... She's beautiful. Ji Yeon. I named her just like you wanted. I miss you so much. I miss you so muchJin... You were right. It's a girl. The delivery was hard on me... The doctor said I was calling out for you... I wish you could've been there. Jin... She's beautiful. Ji Yeon. I named her just like you wanted. I miss you so much. I miss you so muchJin... You were right. It's a girl. The delivery was hard on me... The doctor said I was calling out for you... I wish you could've been there. Jin... She's beautiful. Ji Yeon. I named her just like you wanted. I miss you so much. I miss you so muchJin... You were right. It's a girl. The delivery was hard on me... The doctor said I was calling out for you... I wish you could've been there. Jin... She's beautiful. Ji Yeon. I named her just like you wanted. I miss you so much. I miss you so muchJin... You were right. It's a girl. The delivery was hard on me... The doctor said I was calling out for you... I wish you could've been there. Jin... She's beautiful. Ji Yeon. I named her just like you wanted. I miss you so much. I miss you so muchJin... You were right. It's a girl. The delivery was hard on me... The doctor said I was calling out for you... I wish you could've been there. Jin... She's beautiful. Ji Yeon. I named her just like you wanted. I miss you so much. I miss you so muchJin... You were right. It's a girl. The delivery was hard on me... The doctor said I was calling out for you... I wish you could've been there. Jin... She's beautiful. Ji Yeon. I named her just like you wanted. I miss you so much. I miss you so muchJin... You were right. It's a girl. The delivery was hard on me... The doctor said I was calling out for you... I wish you could've been there. Jin... She's beautiful. Ji Yeon. I named her just like you wanted. I miss you so much. I miss you so muchJin... You were right. It's a girl. The delivery was hard on me... The doctor said I was calling out for you... I wish you could've been there. Jin... She's beautiful. Ji Yeon. I named her just like you wanted. I miss you so much. I miss you so muchJin... You were right. It's a girl. The delivery was hard on me... The doctor said I was calling out for you... I wish you could've been there. Jin... She's beautiful. Ji Yeon. I named her just like you wanted. I miss you so much. I miss you so muchJin... You were right. It's a girl. The delivery was hard on me... The doctor said I was calling out for you... I wish you could've been there. Jin... She's beautiful. Ji Yeon. I named her just like you wanted. I miss you so much. I miss you so muchJin... You were right. It's a girl. The delivery was hard on me... The doctor said I was calling out for you... I wish you could've been there. Jin... She's beautiful. Ji Yeon. I named her just like you wanted. I miss you so much. I miss you so much
  • Michael!! =D

What can I say about this episode. Lost is awesome. This episode was so sad but also very exciting. I was crying about Jin dying and when Sun went to viste his grave, it as so sad. The whole episode was awesome! Oh and what can I say about Michael, he was awesome..! I just cant wait to find out everything about him. I'm so happy taht one of my favourite characters is back, with a bang! I'm just so happy! The whole cast did an awesome job in this episode, well the poeple who was in it like. I cant wait to watch next weeks episode! Bring it on..Oh and Lost is awesome!
  • A Sun/Jin-centric episode.

All things considered,I absolutely loved this episode since Jin and Sun are two of my favorite characters on the show. I really enjoyed the flash forwards of Sun's life when she gets off the island. I thought that they were very interesting. I also enjoyed the flashbacks of Jin's life. I was glad to see that Juliet was heavily involved in Jin and Sun's story line since she's another one of my favorite characters on the show. I can't believe that Juliet told Jin about Sun's affair with another man or that Sun slapped Juliet. I really enjoyed the scene between Jin and Bernard when they talk about marriage. In closing, I thought that this was a very well written, well acted and well made episode of Lost from everyone involved, and I can't wait to watch the rest of season four of Lost.
  • Poor Jin...

Brilliant episode. The writers of Lost are simply fantastic. What they did with this episode was inspiring. Having a Jin flashback and a Sun flashforward and making us think they were happening at the same time....WOOOOOW. So in this episode we find out that Sun is one of the oceanic six and she will get off the island which was great news for me because Sun is my favorite character. We also find out that Jin dies. I cried during the scene where Sun an Hurley visit Jin's grave. It was so sad !!! Also Sun dosen't trust Charlotte and Dan so she wants to leave to Locke's camp. Juliet tries to stop her so she tells Jin that she had an affair. That was a powerful scene. I especially liked the slap Sun gave Juliet. Sayid and Desmond witness a woman commiting suicide on the boat. We also find out that Micheal is on that boat and he's going by the name of Kevin Johnson. Super terrific episode. Really rocked my world. Two things that stood out were the birlliant writing and the more than amazing acting by Yunjin Kim. She did the giving birth scene superbly and the at Jin's grave scene with emotion and passion with a little bit of Grace included. Favorite character from this episode : Sun !!! She's amazing. No wonder they call her Julia Roberts of Korea.
  • The Return of Michael and the Death of Jin.

The episode title Ji Yeon is revealed to be the name of the baby of Jin and Sun. It is also revealed that Sun is one of the oceanic 6 and Jin was not one of the original eight surviving passengers as told by Jack in a previous episode flashforward and since the date of his death on his gravestone is showed to be the day of the crash. But the biggest highlight of the episode was the return and first appearance of Michael since the end of the second season. He appears towards the end of the episode and is known by the doctor of the ship as Kevin Johnson. Also the mystery of the freighter crew is addressed again as Sayid and Desmond meet the Captain. He shows them the black box recovered from the wreckage of oceanic 815 near Indonesia and says that it is one of the many reasons why the boats owner Charles Widmore the father of Desmond's girlfriend wants them to capture Ben. This episode is no doubt one of the best of season 4 and offers a glimpse into future storylines of which I believe will be that Jin is one of many of the characters that will be killed off by the 2009-2010 season which has been stated by ABC to be the last season of Lost.
  • A two for one combo that deals a blow to the heart

You knew, given the way the writers on Lost think, that they were going to find a way to put a flashback and a flashforward in the same episode, which is exactly what happens here, though they don't show their hand to the end (and frankly, by the last scene, you're praying that they're not going to). And it makes a horrible kind of sense that it would involve our favorite couple, Jin and Sun. A lot has come between them over the past three seasons and in all the flashbacks of their history. But in 'Ji Yeon', they seem to finally find a way to get past it, only to end up separated by the largest divide of all. But let's take this step by step.

Sun and Jin have now realized what everyone else has--- that this freighter does not mean rescue--- and now they've decided, despite the risks, to defect to Locke's camp. (As it turns out, that decision could've gotten them killed right then, but then every day's a picnic on the island.). But Juliet, in a move that seems more desperate than calculated, breaks her oath, and reveals Sun's affair to Jin. Because Jin by necessity wears such a stoic mask, it's hard to tell just how devastating this news is to him. But we get a very good idea when he goes fishing with Bernard, who we haven't seen in a bit. Bernard then does something that no one else on this island has done--- he reveals something secret to another castaway, in this case, telling Jin about Rose's cancer and how she believes that she's cured. He then says the reason they stayed with Jack was because he was a murderer, and that it would be bad karma for them to stay. It's hard to know how much Jin understands, but we know from his own words (way back in 'Exodus') that he believes being on this island is his punishment for his cruel behavior while working for Mr. Paik.

So Jin does one of the most beautiful things of all the characters on the series--- he forgives Sun for her affair. Hell, he even tries to wear some of the guilt as his own, because he knows what a horrible man he became. (Of course, he doesn't know why he ended up working for Mr. Paik, but that's beside the point). So he tells Sun that they will try to find a way off this island, and they will escape.

Now admittedly, there've been signs that the flashes involving Jin and Sun were of different times--- Jin had a monster of a cell phone in his flashes, Sun's refusal to let the doctor remove her wedding the ring, the way the doctors seemed to know by their celebrity status that Jin was dead--- but even knowing all that (or, for that matter, knowing what's going to happen in Season 5) doesn't mean that the final scene is any less gutwrenching. Seeing Sun reduced to her more devastated ,ode, even as she holds Jin's child, is one that is heartbreaking. What makes it even sadder is that after the birth of her child, the gentle and compassionate Sun we've come to know and love, will all but disappear. In her place will come someone crueler and colder, someone--- well, let's be honest--- is a lot like her father Right now, we're not sure why, but there's got to be a reason that Hurley was the only member of the Oceanic 6 to come see her after Ji Yeon's birth (and why he was so glad not to see any of his friends). What we're not sure of is when and how Jin died, and if the Oceanic 6 are lying about his dying in the crash.

Speaking of which, we now know who they are---- Jack, Kate, Hurley, Sayid, Sun, and Aaron. The problem is this leaving a gap in Jack's story big enough to fly a plane through when he said at Kate's trial that only eight people survived the crash. How does that make Aaron--- who must have been born before the survivors were rescued--- one of the people who survived. Yes, they say Kate managed to cut him off at the trial, but I'm not entirely sold on that either. This may be a continuity error that never gets explained.

Meanwhile, on the freighter, Sayid and Desmond are learning that things are actually a lot worse than they thought. They meet the captain of the boat, who seems particular nasty (but then, maybe he's just a little concerned about how the members of his crew are dying right and left), and who seems more than willing to tell them what they want to know. He reveals that this is Charles Widmore's ship (I don't know how Desmond managed to maintain even a moderate level of calm when he learned this) and that the wreckage of flight 815 was found on the ocean floor. Then he reveals that they found 324 dead bodies on the freighter, and that they believe the man responsible is Ben. Unfortunately, all of this is thrown into disbelief when they received a note that says "Don't believe the captain." So now Widmore is saying Ben's responsible, and Ben is blaming Widmore (though they don't know it yet) Both of these men already seem like monsters, but which ones do we believe?

Oh, and we finally find out who Ben's man on the boat, though honestly, we should've figured it out a lot sooner. Considering that Harold Perrineau has been listed as a cast member for the last six episodes, but we haven't seen hide nor hair of him--- even in the flashforwards. So when the doc calls for Kevin Johnson, and we finally see that this is in fact Michael, it's probably the biggest anticlimax this series will ever produce. What makes it even harder to believe is why Michael--- who sold his soul to get off the island--- would be willing to do anything to get back here. I will say this, though: From what we see of Michael's face, he looks like he hasn't gotten a decent night's sleep in a very long time.

Well, we're getting answers but they're not very neat ones. But that we can live without for now. What is more pertinent is that it appears that death is going to separate our favorite couple on the island. And that even that might not be enough to keep them apart.
    My score: 8
  • Pretty good episode, but not the best and not much happens to forward the story. (contains spoilers)

Okay… so this is probably going to seem like a random stream of consciousness, but I wrote it as things happened in the episode so it's mostly a list of questions the episode raised and responses to them. But it should pretty much summarize the episode!

A girl is guarding Sayid and Desmond's room, but for some reason her book was upside down. Obviously she wasn't doing what she was supposed to be doing. Sun is off the island!!!! It's the future and she's having pregnancy problems?? Jin is also off the island. He's running around trying to buy a stuffed panda. Back on the island Kate tells Jin and Sun about the "gas factory" where Charlotte and Daniel ran off to. She scares them by saying "they talked about a lot of things and none of them involved rescuing us" after Sun asks if they are there to rescue them. Back on the freighter, Sayid and Desmond get a note under the door. Is it from the spy on the boat? Dunno. But it says "DON'T TRUST THE CAPTAIN." Back on the island again, Sun asks Daniel if they are there to rescue them, but he says he doesn't know because it isn't his call. Uh oh! And here's sort of a side note, but isn't Jin's "broken" English way too good?? He knows the most random words and can speak way too fluently for someone who is just learning English. Either he's a really bad actor, the lines are really bad, or there is something about Jin that they aren't telling us, like he already spoke English or something. Anyways… now Sun and Jin have decided to go back to Lock's camp. Won't Sun die?? Why is Kate helping them? Bernard says Rose was dying before they got on the island, but wasn't dying now because of island. She want to go back home anyway. On the freighter, a girl jumped off ship with chains and kills herself. The captain tells Desmond and Sayid that Mr. Widmore (sp?) is owner of boat. Yay! Desmond finally finds out! The captain shows Sayid and Desmond the black box from flight 815 that was found with plane and all 300-some dead passengers. He talks about what a huge effort someone went through to fake the crash. Where does one come across 300-some dead bodies?? That's why they're there for Ben. Off the island and in the future, Sun has her baby as she calls out for Jin. On the freighter they reveal MICHEAL!!!! Aka Johnson?? But I feel like I already knew who it was going to be, so whatever. On the island, Jin forgives Sun. Will they go to Locke's camp? No. They need to get off the island because the people have a helicopter and they need to get off the island to save their baby. Was Jin in the past or the future? Weird!?! And where's Jin because he isn't in the hospital with Jin. Hurley shows up at Sun's apartment, but nobody else is coming. Hurley and Sun go to the cemetery to visit Jin's grave. He's dead :( Sort of a surprise, but at the same time it was predictable. Wait… I thought they were going to reveal the oceanic six? Does that mean that Jin died after he came back or are they not counting him as one of the oceanic six? Aw! She gave him the baby's name that he chose.

Okay, so it was a pretty good episode. Not the best, but still pretty good. A little too predictable and stuff, but raises even more questions about stuff, which is always good because it's fun to guess! Yay! I can't wait til next week's episode. It looks like it's going to be really good! Once again, I'm really sorry about the randomness of this review!
  • Juliet tells Jin that Sun had an affair, Jin gets upset, then forgives Sun. Sayid and Desmond meet the captain, learn whose boat it is, and see Michael. In the future Sun has a baby. In the end Sun is crying with Hurley at Jin's grave.

This episode was nothing short of outstanding. It took a while to get some action going, but mid way through the episode I couldn't look away. Sun and Jin plan to go to Locke's Camp in fear of the freighters people, but Juliet advises strongly not to go. In a last attempt to get them to stay she tells Jin about Suns affair. The slap by Sun was one I wasn't expecting to see, and it was executed perfectly. Jin and Bernard's conversation on the boat was really meaningful, and Jin forgiving Sun shows how much he's changed. In the flash forward Sun has the baby and screamed for Jin. The other flash (which turned out to be in the past) was Jin attempting to get a Panda for someone in the maternity ward. I loved the mixing of the past, present, and future. It was well written and well acted. At the end Sun and Hurley (who seemed pleased no one else was with Sun) go to Jin's grave to show him the baby. It was a great performance by Sun, and only adds to the mystery of what happens with the oceanic 6. The freighter action was nothing special, and is the reason this episode wasn't a 10. Michael obviously was the spy, and the attempted shock failed. Overall the episode was very exciting and was really entertaining.
< 1 2 3