Lost

Ji Yeon

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Mar 13, 2008 on ABC

• Another of the Oceanic 6 revealed

If the previous episode was somewhat divisive and (based on the subsequent ratings dip) dissatisfying, this installment focuses on pre-existing relationships on the island and relatively simple revelations on the boat. Both plot threads are ultimately compelling for their own reasons. This back-to-basics approach should help to overcome some of the disunity.

The writers have been largely using flash-forwards or flashbacks exclusively within an episode, though "The Constant" demonstrated how the format could be unusually applied. This episode takes that expectation and uses it against the audience in the best of ways. After clearly establishing that Sun's off-island story was off-island as one of the Oceanic 6, Jin's story seemed to follow in lockstep.

Of course, that wasn't the case, and because there is still some confusion regarding the classification of the Oceanic 6, the deception is maintained until the very end. At this point, one could reasonably conclude that the known Oceanic 6 are Jack, Kate, Hurley, Sayid, and Sun. One can assume that Aaron is not counted because he would have been born on the island, not mentioned in the passenger manifest. It's also reasonable to assume that Ben is still out of the public eye. With Jin no longer in the running, that leaves one slot still open.

The bulk of the episode is devoted to setting up the tragedy of the final moments. Sun's choice is not unexpected, but her doubts and questions are quite reasonable and have been a long time in coming. Sun had every reason to wonder if Juliet was being honest, and it's good to see her reacting so proactively towards her own best interests. At the same time, it was good to see Juliet make the tough decision to save Sun's life by betraying her trust.

The tear-inducing moment, of course, is the graveside "reunion" between father and daughter. While most of the episode was blatant foreshadowing (pretty much from the teaser), seeing Sun, Hurley, and little Ji Yeon standing in a cemetery was difficult. However, the most obvious explanation (that Jin died in the process of getting Sun off the island) is the least likely.

Jin's gravestone marked his death as 22 Sep 2004, which is the date of the plane crash. According to the Oceanic 6 cover story, all but eight of the passengers died; two others perished before the eventual rescue. So the implication is that Jin was eventually counted among those killed in the crash within the context of the cover story. Nothing else can be definitively inferred.

Sun's honest grief could be interpreted as a sign of Jin's actual death; he could have died between the "present" and the rescue, and this was a way to cover up the events leading to the rescue. But from the perspective of the Oceanic 6, everyone back on the island is lost. They will never see them again. So Jin could be back on the island for a very good reason, and Sun will still grieve because they will be (from her point of view) forever apart. The tragedy remains intact, but Jin would still be a viable character.

Perhaps to keep the audience believing in the seemingly mundane nature of the Jin/Sun plot thread, Sayid and Desmond's time on the boat was full of mysterious and disturbing tidbits. Michael, of course, turns out to be Ben's agent on the boat. That had to be a surprise to no one, and his story should be coming soon enough. Surprisingly, that's hardly the most pressing question, because the rest of the crew seems to be losing it.

As it turns out, the freighter's crew has been descending into madness, so much so that a suicide is considered routine. Proximity to the island has never been kind (ask Leonard from "Numbers"), but if the effect on the crew is any indication, mass exposure can be brutal. As it happens, the symptoms of exposure to strong electromagnetic fields are very similar to those exhibited by the crew. The question may not be why the crew is suffering so badly, but why the inhabitants of the island are not.

Captain Gault's story about the apparent Oceanic 815 black box is very interesting, because it definitely muddies the waters a bit. Ben's description of Widmore's activities in the previous episode seemed to fit the facts, but had to be considered through the filter of his biased perspective. Gault's explanations are equally biased, and his story seems to add fuel to the theory that Ben staged the fake crash of Oceanic 815. In fact, unless Ben's organization worked in record time, it refuels the old theory that Ben contrived the actual crash on the island in the first place.

Whatever the case, the truth is probably somewhere in between. Despite his machinations, Ben is remarkably consistent in his aspirations. If it's good for the island and its chosen people, then it's worth doing. Widmore's motivations are far less defined, and that's the source of the confusion. It's known that he has ties to Hanso, who in turn seemed to use the Dharma Initiative to his own ends (including the wacky fun of chemical weapons production at the Tempest). It's also obvious that he's sidelining Penny, who must be even more adamantly searching for Desmond after "The Constant". It's no stretch to say that Gault's explanations are questionable at best.

Sayid and Desmond clearly don't buy any of it, especially after the reaction to Regina's suicide, and that helps keep this transitional episode from losing identity within the larger framework of the season arc. While Kate is legally bound to her new life, her responsibility to Aaron makes any return to the island problematic at best. Sun is in a very similar position. This adds a new layer to any future plans to return as a group. If it were simply adults making decisions for themselves, it would be one thing; choosing for the children is quite another.
  • Despite the worst kept secret ever, this episode introduces some good elements for the rest of the season.

While the first five episodes were generally well received, the past two have had more problems. Last episode gave us insights that didn't need to be there. This episode had some more controversial elements that have polarized the fandom. There was the return of Michael, a reveal that has been spoiled so many times that only someone who didn't follow news or know who the actors were could be surprised. Then there was the gimmick of having us believe on first viewing that Jin's flashback was a flash forward. Not knowing either would certainly enhance the enjoyment of this episode.

Jin's subplot actually being a flashback left some viewers cheated. A valid criticism is that its screen time, however many minutes, doesn't advance the narrative so much as sets up the twist. I saw it coming from about 20 minutes into the episode. The hints are there, from the bad flashback hair, the bulky cell phone and that no one recognized Jin, despite the fact that he should be a major celebrity. If you don't see this coming, the episode should work a lot more. Such a criticism could be lobbed at Jack's flash-forwards in "Through the Looking Glass", but that episode provided the foundation for the Oceanic Six storyline that's being explored this season.

Although last week's events were a pile of contrivance, they do help motivate this episode. While Daniel obviously wants to help, the freighties objective wasn't rescuing the castaways. Now their covert activities at The Tempest, while sparing most of the people on the island, are coming back to haunt them. Sun's choice to head to Locke's camp makes sense, and it wouldn't be hard to conceive of others leaving the camp when word gets out that the freighties have some secrets.

Juliet's attempt to keep Sun on the beach, breaking doctor-patient confidentiality by telling Jin about the affair, could've gone soapy like some of the elements from his last episode, but it's played out a lot better. Losing nine women due to pregnancy took a huge toll on her and she didn't want Sun to doom herself to that fate by leaving the main camp.

Jin's reaction shows how far he's come as a character. Of course he's going to be upset, but his conversation with Bernard, however limited Jin's side was, somehow convinces him to make it work (if Bernard and Rose's relationship can survive cancer, Jin and Sun's could survive and affair). The whole episode is a showcase for how he's changed. His English has come far enough for him to carry conversations and understand those with him. The most important improvement was his character. Should he have known that Sun cheated while an enforcer, he probably would've killed Jae. Now, he brings her dinner and forgives her and understands why she did it.

Previously it was believed that only Minkowski was the only one sick on the freighter, but this episode shows that problems among the ship's crew ran deeper. Regina, no sooner do we meet her does she throw herself overboard (hopefully we'll see more Zoë Bell in flashbacks because that'd be a waste of a Grindhouse mini reunion between her, Fahey and Andrews). Then there's the blood stain on the wall of Sayid and Desmond's new quarters, clearly the result of a self inflicted gunshot wound. Whoever gave Sayid and Desmond the note and left the sick bay door open, almost certainly Michael, is trying to help them navigate the freighter so they don't wind up like Regina or Minkowski.

Of course the biggest "surprise" of this episode was ruined sometime last summer when they revealed Michael would be back. It didn't make it easier when they had Harold Perrineau's name in the credits despite the fact that he hasn't appeared in a frame all season. This is where the super aware internet following can work against "Lost", as well as other shows. There was no way to keep Michael's return a secret from last summer to now because of the spread of information on the internet. Unfortunately, knowing he'll be back blows the reveal in this episode. If they were to edit out his name from the credits, his return could've been somewhat shocking rather than inevitable to those other than the oblivious viewer. However, the tease of him walking to Sayid and Desmond's new room is not deliberately evasive, which would've further annoyed those who saw it coming.

With Michael's return come several questions. How did he go from being shipped off the island to working on the freighter's crew? Did they just pick him out of the water and give him a job? Why did he use the alias Kevin Johnson? Where is Walt? Michael's return, in addition to continuing his still incomplete story, also seeks to illuminate the freighties' mission and possibly the conditions that lead to the "cabin fever".

An odd thing was the clanging of the metal that Sayid thought was coming from a person rather than a mechanical error. This is likely two things: either it's a person who has lost their mind and is hitting something for no good reason or Michael, possibly Walt, trying to give Sayid and Desmond a message, maybe in morse code. Michael may be more likely to deliver messages personally, but Walt can't.

Captain Gault is an intriguing new element to the freighter saga. Although he is an intimidating character, his crew acting like they're in a malevolent dictatorship where one false move could lead to grave consequences, he is forthcoming with information as Sayid notes. It'd be like if Ben revealed who he was in great detail when Sayid first encountered him in the net. Perhaps this forthcoming persona is all part of a con to get Sayid and Desmond on his side, but considering their warnings, there is a bit of skepticism.

Gault accuses Ben of coming up with 324 bodies to match those of Oceanic 815. This may be the source of his $3.2 million Miles is trying to extort out of him and the significance of that amount. At $10,000 a body, it comes to $3.24 million, rounded down to 3.2 possibly to mislead us. Last season showed us The Others have a lot of resources off island that could stage a plane crash, so it isn't hard for them to put this together even when they only have a few hours to do it. However, considering both Ben's and Gault's stories are marred by our natural distrust in them, neither side may true, despite that neither side contradicts the other yet.

Despite the promise that it would be clear who the Oceanic Six are by the end of the episode, the episode explains only to five. So if it is true, the likeliest candidate of the two other island characters we've seen off is Aaron. The big problem with that is that Jack's testimony in "Eggtown" says that eight people survived the initial crash and two perished before they could be rescued, and Aaron obviously was in Claire's womb the day of the crash. However, considering their cover story deviates entirely from what really happened, it wouldn't be hard for Aaron be already born in their story.

It's odd that only Hurley would make the trip to see Ji Yeon, as the six all have golden passes to fly anywhere free (the exception would be Kate, who at this point in the timeline would be on trial and kept in custody as a flight risk). However, it points to the bigger problem the Oceanic Six is dealing with and will leave Hurley and Jack succumbing hard to the guilt. Bringing them all together would just remind each other of whatever horrible thing they did that got them off the island. This certainly could be the major problem facing Jack in his flash forward.

Many are ready to call Jin a goner because of the emotionally charged farewell at the end of the episode (including the touching "Life and Death" theme) in addition to Jin seemingly completing his redemptive arc. If he turned out OK, it might cheapen this episode's ending. However, Sun's sadness over not having Jin there could be simply because he was left behind on the island which, judging by Jack's desperate attempts to get back in the finale seems almost impossible to relocate. Sun's character flaw is her ability to lie to protect herself, so she might've lied and cheated her way into one of the Oceanic Six's slots in a desperate attempt to save herself from what kills pregnant women on the island. Jin's absence hits her hard when he's not by her side when it happens, knowing he'd be there giant stuffed panda or not. Also, none of her monologue by the grave is explicit enough to imply anything other than he isn't there. If anything, I just want to avoid another discussion of how anyone who gets a DWI on "Lost" gets killed off shortly afterward.

Overall this is a good episode marred by elements it couldn't control. At its heart, this transitional episode does what it's supposed to do. By reintroducing Michael and removing the safety net for Jin, the stakes are being raised ever higher. One can hope the following six episodes can deliver on the promises of the first half.
  • Duality.

At first I thought: what a waste of a Sun/Jin flashforward. Showing Jin running through the town with a stupid panda(twice...) and Sun struggling with baby birth. Nothing exciting here.

Nothing exciting? Make sure you don't miss the last 10 minutes. The Jin parts were FLASHBACKS!!! I didn't see that twist coming. The ending was incredibly emotional and well done. I can't believe how the writers tricked me once again. Masterful... Sun grieving over Jin's grave with Ji Yeon(her baby) and Hurley... don't tell me that wasn't one of the most powerful and meaningful scenes of Lost to date. Just shows how much this show evolved during the 3 seasons. The island story - Sun's was, as expected somewhat slow and uninteresting.I thought her plan to go to Locke's camp was doomed from start, so it wasn't suspensful at all. However I liked when Juliet spilled the beans about Jae Lee to Jin only to make him force Sun to stay.

Jin was incredibly awesome this episode. I really love how his character was developed, and how warm he is now learning english, treating his wife with proper respect. What made the island story what it is is the boat storyline. What exactly is going on? The boat staff is commiting suicide one by one. Creepy, the writers sure have alot of 'splaining to do!

And, the spy is revealed. Kevin Johnson aka Michael. No big surprises here, but it was done much better than I thought it'd be done. Overall, if the Michael twist wasn't so obvious, and Sun's island plot wasn't as predictable, this would've been easily a 10. This way, "only" a 8.
  • This a Sun/Jin centric episode. Further information about the characters is revealed. The name of the episode "Ji Yeon" refers to the name of Sun and Jin's daughter.

Probably the best episode of this season so far. Many things are revealed and, for the first time in the show, we see a flashfoward and a flashback in the same episode, a techique that tricked the minds of even the more acute viewers.
    I was anxiously awaiting for the return of Michael Dawson because Harold Perrineau Jr's name has apeared in the initial credits of each episode since the beginning of this season. His return will definitely be a plus.
    The deep character development and the intricate and well structured story of Lost is once again proven as one of the best in a television series.
    Lost is a show that cannot be missed. Congratulations to the writers for an incredible work.
  • Juliet reveals to Jin that Sun and her baby will die if she does not get off the island, as well as the fact that she had an affair; Desmond and Sayid meet face to face with the Captain of the ship.

This season has been full of emotion, in fact, I'd go so far to say that this has been the most dramatically interesting and emotional season of LOST thus far. Part of what makes LOST so great is the characters. Each are so perfectly developed, and the writers are always finding new ways to take familiar characters and show us things we may not have known. I have to say that this story involving Sun and Jin was by far one of the most beautiful episodes this year. I won't spoil anything, but the conclusion of this is a real heart breaker.

And, of course, in typical Lost fashion, we are treated to a surprise return by a familiar face, which has definitely peaked my interest.

I don't love this show just for its great twists and unpredictability. It's all about the characters and the plethora of emotions we experience with them, something many television shows are lacking these days.
  • Great episode, I liked the twists and turns and the new facts that were revealed. (contains spoilers)

I enjoyed this episode I can see how some people might not because it might not have been a direction they wanted to go in but I liked it. First Desmond & Sayid are on the ship and get a letter saying not to trust the captain, and then later on we found out that Michael is Ben's spy on the boat. That makes sense since he made the deal with the boat and was the last person to see them before they left, I don't know how they worked it our for Walt to stay I guess we will find out. I went crazy when we saw Micheal, that was really cool. I called that he wasn't gone alot of people did, and I'm pretty glad they wrote it this way. I hope we see alot more of Michael and Walt, and I'm wondering which one if either of them will be one of the "Oceanic 6"

Gin & Sun were the biggest part of this episode. I know alot of people can't stand Charlotte and I'm one of them but I also can't stand Juliette either. They could fight to the death for all I care. There chick fight last week wasn't that hot at all which was dissapointing. OK back to Gin and Sun. Sun wanted to go to Locke's camp because she thought he could help her, and Juliette said no because it could kill you and your baby Sun didn't want to listen to Juliette was a b-yatch and told Gin that Sun cheated on him. Sun slapped that **** hard. Juliette convinced Sun it would be bad for her and her baby if she left the camp, so Sun stayed, and Gin went fishing with Bernie. By the way were is Rose? She is still on the island right? The best part or the worst part depending on how you see it was the trick with the flash foward and flash backs with Gin & Sun. I didn't like it at first and didn't care for the outcome but still thought it was kind of cool how they did that. They flash foward to Sun having her baby in Korea so we now know she will be one of the "Oceanic 6" She was calling for Gin and then the flashed and showd Gin going to the hospital and getting a panda for the baby. They showed Gin at the Hospital he gave the Panda and it was for an emporors daughter and that it was a flash back and he wasn't there for his baby because this was when he was newly married. We find out in the flash foward that Sun was calling out Gin during the pregnancy when they were gong back and forth from the flash back to the flash foward to trick us, but Gin was dead. We found this out when Hurley showed up and saw the baby , and then they went to the cemetary and that's when we found out Gin isn't going to be a survivor. I ws hoping for one husband wife combo to both make it or mother son in Claires case but I don't think that will happen. We now have Jack, Kate, Hurley, Sayid, & Sun, so I'm not sure if Aaron counts as six since he wasn't born yet or if there is another one, of if I just missed one. I was mad that Gin didn't make it but then thought it was col that they tricked us, or at least me with the flash fowards and flash backs, to make it look like Gin was alive and heading to the hospital to see Sun.
  • A very different episode of Lost

For those of you who are clueless about what happen in this episode, let me explain. This was a flashback and a flashfoward. Jin had the flashback and Sun had the flashfoward. The reason why I know this is because in Jin's part of the episode he says that he has only been married for two months and in Sun's part of the episode Jin is already dead. Now on to my review, this was a very good episode because Sun was actually able to have her baby and it was beautiful. I am so happy that she did not die and that she was able to get off the island. And thanks to Juliet, Jin now knows that Sun had an affair and that the baby is his. My favorite scene was at the end when Jin found out it was his baby. Another big shocker was that Micheal is Ben's spy but to be truthful i kinda saw that one coming since their have been rumors that Micheal's character will be coming back. I hope that next weeks episode is going to be good, I just wish that their will be a new episode of lost every week.
  • A couple of surprises,followed by a non-surprise surprise. I will admit, I was caught a bit off guard by the off-island scenes.

First, I really don't think it was a surprise that Michael (Kevin Johnson) is on the ship. It was public knowledge that he was coming back and that was the only place to put him.

What was a surprise was the Jin flashback, Sun flash forward. I was wondering why Jin had an old cell phone but dismissed it, should have seen it coming.

We now know a few important facts. 1) Sun is one of the Six. 2)They get off the island within the next 7 months. 3)Jin is dead.

Now, I may be wrong, but it looked like there's a time discrepancy. According to the marker the date was 9/20/2004. The problem with this Desmond made his call on 12/24/2004 3 months later. I could have read it wrong also. Anyway, I did like the flash back and flash forward premise, it nailed me pretty good. However, I would have liked to have seen Lockes camp a little. Major points for the fishing scene!

Overall, a very good episode. They've more than made up for season 3. I can't wait to see what happens next!
  • Jin and Sun have a little argument, Desmond and Sayid find some startiling answers onboard the ship, and flashes reveal...stuff. (Spoiler Alert!)

Summary: Sun wants to leave Jack's camp because she belives the frighters are not good people. This forces Juliet to tell Jin about Sun's affair and Jin gets mad. In the end, Jin and Sun reconcile. Meanwhile, onboard the freighter Sayid and Desmond witness a suicide, meet the Captain, and Kevin Johnson. In the flashbacks (and flashforwards) Sun is in labor, and vists Jin's grave, while in flashbacks Jin gives a random guy a panda.

Pros: Some people may say that the Jin/Sun flashes were just lazy but I thought that they were very well done. For once I liked a Jin/Sun episode. The boat scenes reveal a lot, and Sun at Jin's grave (almost) made me shed a tear.
    Cons: Funny as they were, Jin's flashes had nothing to do with the plot. Also they could have saved Michael for the next episode, or at least give him a better returning scene. Overall: Another great addition to Season 4.
  • This season keeps going from strength to strength and this episode is no different.

Firstly I just want to say that I had this episode figured out before it even aired! This is both a testament to my genius and that I'm a huge geek! Before the season started we were told that one of the original main characters would die within the first eight episodes and I heard a rumour that this one would have more info on the Oceanic Six. I didn't know for a fact that Jin would die, but I thought it was a fair guess and so how could he have a flashforward? Well I guessed that it'd be a shared episode and Jin's side would be a flashback and Sun's a flashforward. It would be done so that you'd think Jin's side was happening at the same time as Sun's in an attempt to trick you into thinking he was still alive. Of course this was what happened and it was done brilliantly!

Although the episode had me shouting "You're not fooling me!" at my screen for most of it, it was superbly done. Jin's side was just to set up the end reveal but it still had some great stuff. Him losing the Panda bear was comedic genius! There could be more read into the unfortunate events but I think it was pretty simple. Either it was some bad acting form the extras and a bit of poor writing, or more likely a rival company to Paik's that also wanted to do business with the Chinese and were trying to sabotage Jin's efforts. Either way it was pretty insubstantial as the main story was Sun's.

Well she's gotten off of the island and had her baby successfully. A happy ending then complete with Hurley turning up in a nice suit. Because of the birth this episode can easily be tracked time-wise and is therefore clearly before the Hurley saw Charlie and stared going a bit bonkers again. But why did Hurley not want to see anyone else? Interesting but that doesn't affect this episode really. A lot of these reviews tend to digress into theories and guesswork so from here on it's about the episode's quality.

I was a bit annoyed that we didn't get more of Locke's camp and in particular there reactions to Ben being a member of their society instead of a prisoner. But what we did get instead was some great stuff on the freighter. Apparently loads of folk are topping themselves on the ship which is very strange but was done very effectively. The woman reading her book upside down showed there was something wrong which culminated in her drowning herself. We got some more answers too about the fake plane, but nothing we didn't already know. We got confirmation (pretty much) that it was Ben who was behind it, but I think that was common knowledge anyway as who else would have. That they've addressed where he could've got three hundred odd dead folk was good as that was what I'd been wondering. Of course the huge reveal was another one that had been guessed, but it was still awesome! Michael finally makes his first appearance since the season two finale, despite having been credited for the last six episodes, and just thinking about it know is giving me Goosebumps. For such a short moment it was fantastic. There's a question about Desmond's reaction, which I couldn't quite read because I don't know if he recognised him. The only time they could've met was in the season two finale, but he was p*ssed then and at best would've seen Michael from across the beach with a different haircut and beard. Hopefully that'll be cleared up next week, but Sayid's reaction was perfectly played by both actors. Sayid was clearly surprised at seeing Michael, as well as not too happy it would seem. However he realised that it was probably best to not blow his cover, but if that wasn't the coldest handshake of all time I don't know what was! Absolutely awesome!

Back on the beach Jin found out about Sun's affair and was understandably heartbroken. But a fantastic scene with Bernard got his priorities in order and he found it within himself to forgive her. I'm glad this was resolved so quickly, as dragging it out would've been a waste of screentime for a show that has made sure to use as much as they can this season with sheer brilliance. It's also a testament to the writers and actors that they could reconcile so quickly and believably. Speaking of acting I can't imagine it's easy for Daniel Dae Kim to pretend he's learning English when he's fluent, but he does it fantastically. Also some of his interactions with the rest of the cast are excellent. I loved his short scene with Jack and the reference to Sawyer's English lessons from "Tricia Tanaka is Dead" was great too.

Yet another incredibly strong episode from a season that keeps getting better. The best thing about it is that it's so good that even if you figure something out it can still hit home thanks to great acting, writing and direction. This was a very clever episode which leaves one major mystery as to Jin's fate. The tombstone said he dies on September 22nd 2004 (the day of the crash) so he must die on the island at some point. From here on he's got a Charlie-esc death clock hanging over him and let's just hope the character gets the send off he deserves.
  • Heaps of broken English and a great episode of Lost overall.

It's all about Jin and Sun who've been pretty minor since the end of Season 3. Sun is told by Juliet that she has to get off the island or she dies but when Sun refuses to listen she takes drastic measures. We flash to Desmond and Sayid on the boat where they meet the Captain but are told by Ben's spy who turns out to be Michael, not to trust him. In the future we see Sun give birth to little Ji Yeon and attend Jin's grave while in the past we see Jin buying a toy Panda for the Chinese Ambassador. This episode is certainly involving with the sense that many answers and revelations are on the way but the ending is a real letdown as every flash thing involving Jin proving to be a massive deception and Sun....well it's just misleading. Any scene with Desmond and Sayid on the boat however are excellent with the meeting of the Captain played by Grant Bowler and the return of Michael or Kevin Johnson but sadly there isn't many scenes to see. Good performances all - around but Daniel Dae Kim as Jin and Yunjin Kim as Sun are the best with genuine and quite heart - breaking performances. On the boat; Grant Bowler was just a little too subdued as the Captain but the rest of the crew were suitably ominous. What this episode lacks in comedy it makes up for in suspense with the freighter proving very creepy but there's something almost contrived about how it's layed out in just a way to get shivers down you spine. The music is basically a stylized version of the "da duh da duh da duh da duh da duh da duh daduhdaduhdaduhdadadaaaaaaaa" from Jaws but is very effective. All in all Ji Yeon is a misleading but largely very entertaining installment of Lost but the way they almost toy with the audience is very cruel, looking forward to the next one.
  • It had great moments.

7.8
    Flash forward: We see Sun as one of the Oceanic Six and ready to give birth to her baby. We also see Jin rushing to the hospital with a stuffed Panda Bear, looking like she is going to give it to his newborn baby. We eventually find out that something is not what it seems, but that's just a tease for all of you.

Sun on the Island: After finding out that the people from the ship might not have any intentions of getting them off the island, Sun decides to switch camp. Juliet tries to persuade her otherwise, but to no avail. Juliet then does one of the most unthinkable things. Well, after that secret was revealed, I'm surprised Jin reacted so mildly to it, I suspected mad rage Jin from season 1 or from the flashbacks.

The Boat: We find out what the island is doing to these people who come near it and an old face is seen on the boat. It was mostly boring in the beginning, but once that lady with chains came out, it was just getting good.
  • great episode

Sun decides to join Locke, but Juliet tries hard to convince her that it's not the right thing to do. When Sun keeps insisting on going to Locke, Juliet informs Jin of an affair that Sun had with another man back in korea. It makes him really upset. On the freighter, Sayid and Desmond get to meet most of the crew. It's a really exciting episode, the writers did a good job making this episode watchable. We get to see some flashforwards, it tells us what will happen in the future, it's a really cool episode. I can't wait for the next one.
  • This episode is centered around Jin and Sun,with flashforwards revealing Sun gets off the island and gives birth to her baby and flashback of Jin. The ending is very sad and emotional, and the parallel story on the freighter was suspenseful.

This episode was probably myfavorite episode of the season so far, next to The Constant. I always love the Sun/Jin stories and this one was exceptional. The ending was very emotional and tear-jerking when it was revealed that Jin had died before Sun gave birth to her daughter, choosing the name that Jin had picked while on the island. I loved how we did not know that Jin's story was a flashback until the end, which made the episode all the more emotional. The little touch of Hurley and Sun together at the cemetary was nicely done and Sun's conversation with Jin was beautiful. The parallel story on the freighter was also very suspenseful, with people on the boat becoming insane and killing themselves and the cliffhanger reveal of Kevin Johnson who is really Michael, the apparent spy Ben had sent onto the freighter. This was an unbelievable episode.
  • That was shocking!

OK all I can say is wow!

Those sneaky writers just when I thought it was all about flash forwards. They go and sneak in a flash forward and a flash back and we don't know it till the end, Sneaky!

Oh and then you have all the ship's crew going nuts and killing themselves. Plus the captain isn't concerned when a woman wraps herself in chains and jumps off the boat. Plus the blood stains off the wall which leads to meeting "kevin Johnson." Did anyone else see that it was Michael coming? After all he was credited all season long.
  • This is has to the best episode of this season so far.

I love Sun and Jin, Always loved them as a couple, as people and always loved their story and flashbacks. This episode exploded by having two different types of things, I don't want to give it away. All I'm saying that some people may be mad, because I am, the ending made me cry like a baby. But just because I'm mad, does not mean this is not a great eposide. Michael is back, well Kevin(Spolier). Anyways, this season is going great, keep it up and this show may actually start winning Golden Globes and Emmys again. Love Lost, The best show on television. Just wanted to say that. Thanks for reading.
  • this is lost folks. michael is now kevin. hes back. and this episode has everything great about lost in it. the suspense, the suprises, and the emotional flashbacks. all i can say is if you love lost you'll love this episode.

this show makes me love it more and more every episode.
    this episode has the most shocking twists ever. it lets us know that harrold perrinaeau or Michael in the show
    lives and is the janitor for the ship. there is also a very shocking twist after the baby's born were we think hugo and jin maybe have hooked up. and that jin is deaced. this episode clues us in on what really is happening on the island and too its inhabitants. im hoping that eventually that the end of the sixth season we will know all the islands secrets, and yes....i mean all 48 secrets of lost.theres now probably 90000000.... that we know of. well if you havent seen lost dont start on this episode. because this is for hardcore lost addicts. this is for you. one of the best ever. i think this fourth season is the best so far.
  • Sun tries to move to Locke's Camp while Juliet tries to stop her. Sayid and Desmond meet the captain and a familiar face.

Wow this was great. It was different than most of the other episodes. It answered a major question and handled the Sun and Jin's relationship very very well. While it might not be the best episode for those of you that want different answers... like more freighter stuff or more island information... it still gave us alot of in sight into two very likeable characters. I don't know how much I trust the ending... cause it is possible that Jin was just left on the island. Which I think the same as having them be dead to Oceanic 6. Thus the grave and tears. So it is possible Jin isn't actually dead... just kind of on the island never to return. But then again... knowing Lost. He could be dead. We will find out one way or another eventually!!
  • More info about Sun and Jin is revealed, Desmond and Sayid meet not only the captain of the freighter, but Ben's man on the inside.

There was a fair amount of buzz regarding this episode and whether it could hold it's own amongs the rest of the season. It wasn't the best episode of the season, but it was very good, very revealing, and had some very interesting plot twists. This was probably the best Sun and Jin episode to date, given their storylines were rather interesting.

The episode begins with Sun putting on make-up while at home in Korea, she begins to have pains, and it is revealed that she is going into labor. She gets an ambulance to the hospital and orders the staff to call Jin. Jin is shopping for just the right gift, a large stuffed panda bear which he will take to the maternity ward, he gets a cab, but loses his phone, a man grabs the cab with teddy bear in tow. Jin rushes back in to buy another, but it has already been sold, but lays down a large wad of cash. Sun is experiencing some trouble during the birth and insists on talking to Jin, but she cannot wait, they deliver a healthy baby girl. It cuts back to Jin who is delivering a teddy bear on behalf of "Paik Automotive", he ties a blue ribbon around it's neck after an guard at the door states the child is a boy? Jin was delivering a gift to the family of the Chinese ambassador. A nurse congratulates Jin, but Jin curiously remarks, that it's too soon, he's only been married two months? It goes back to Sun, who is getting dressed when her doorbell rings, its...Hurley! He has come to visit Sun's new baby, they go to visit Jin as well...at the cemetary. Jin had a flashback, Sun had a flash forward. She named the child Ji-Yeon after Jin's suggestion.

On the island, Juliet warns Sun about the peril she faces if she stays on the island. This is in response to her wanting to take Jin and head to Locke's camp after the odd behavior of the freighter crew. Juliet reveals Sun's affair to Jin, and he saunters off, only to be comforted by Bernard while fishing. He returns to Sun and brings her dinner explaining that he forgives her.

On the freighter, Desmond and Sayid get a note from Ben's spy to "not trust the captain". The doctor leads them above deck to meet the captain when a woman bound in chains leaps from the ship. Nobody helps her despite Desmond and Sayid's cries. The captain witnessed the act and orders everyone back to work. His name is Captain Gault and likens the suicide to "cabin fever". He takes Desmond and Sayid to his office and shows him the "black box" from flight 815 which was found in the Marianas trench. He reveals that the recorder was procured by Charles Widmore, and that the flight found in the Marianas trench was a fake. He also asks the two, where did all the bodies come from, and then mentioned Ben. As Sayid and Desmond are shown their quarters, they meet Kevin Johnson, a janitor on the boat-who happens to be Michael! Ben's man on the boat-no surprise there.

This episode was technically superior, the direction was amazing, the acting was solid, and the pacing was brilliant. The combination of a flashback and flash forward was yet another good move in keeping the season interesting. Info was given to answer some questions, but more were raised in true Lost fashion. Sun and Jin who are good characters, but almost peripheral had interesting and rather touching stories. Their stories were interesting and the advancing of the freighter plot was too, but it was a little thin at parts. This episode much like last week is setting up future events-mainly next week.

Overall, a great episode, very solid, rather entertaining. It is definately on par with the rest of the season and sets up some major events to happen next week.
  • WOW AMAZING! I ALMOST CRAPPED MY PANTS WATCHING!

WOW!
    I know everyone was saying that Michael's return was televised and that everyone was able to easily find out who Ben's spy on the boat was, but honestly, who cares! Did you all just not watch an amazing episode with some high quality writing! Oh yes! The writer's strike is definitely over!
    All I can say is that this episode was not only pivotal, but amazing. The flash-forwards concentrated on Sun and the birth of her new baby. However, throughout the episode, the show also revealed scenes with Jin. But the thing is, near the END of the episode, Jin said that he has only been married for two months, and when Hurley and Sun go to Jin's grave, we begin to see a whole different story. Which also brings another question....who is the final person of the Oceanic 6? I thought it was Jin, but now that we have seen Jin's tombstone, who is it? Unless you count Aaron. Who knows! All I am saying is that I am glad Lost has gone back to some great writing and the following episodes will probably be as amazing as this. I can't wait!
  • Something (un)expected..

This episode.. some complained it was confusing, no it wasn't.. even thought we realize in the end that there was a mix of flash forwards and flash backs.. very interesting combination and the panda - it was cute and lovely.

I loved that the episode was not so concentrated only on part of the island like some episodes of last season start was. Even thought we heard nothing about the Locke's camp, there was little going on the boat side and things there are getting quite interesting. I am sure when the helicopter gets back, more people will get off.. but the story is really building up, more and more.. some more emotion, and the end.. it was somehow really sad.. and.. maybe even mysterious as we do not know how it happened...
  • A Jin/Sun flashback/forward episode that also informs us of what is happening on the boat. I enjoyed most of the episode because it felt like a season 1 story, but there were some elements that bothered me.

Let us start as the episode did, with the flash-forward where Sun is in a hospital giving birth. But what they do next is try to trick us, because we also see Jin traveling to a hospital and shopping for a Panda Bear. This part of the story bothered me, there were just too many clues that Jin was not there with Sun during that time (the biggest of which is that she is the last of the Oceanic 6). Their story on the island focuses on their decision to go with Locke or to stay with Jack and try and get off the island. The more interesting portion of this episode takes place on Mr. Widmore's boat where Sayid and Desmond finally get their meeting with the captain. The captain is very blunt and straightforward during their discussion and reveals to them: the owner of the boat, their reason for being sent to the island, information about the Oceanic Flight 815 crash cover-up and that someone has sabotaged the boat causing them to drift closer to the island. As if all of this info wasn't interesting enough, we finally discover that Ben's rat on the boat is none other than Michael!
    In the end this episode feels like a first season story tweaked with season 4's flash-forwards and new characters.
  • I'm too drunk to be philosophical but Jin's not dead...

... the date on the tombstone was the date of the plane's crash. He's only presumed dead... just like the rest of the survivors except the Oceanic 6. Anyone who didn't make it off the island has flashbacks; ie, Juliet, Desmond, Jin... anyone who did get off, has flash forwards. At the grave site, Sun said she missed him and asked for him during the delivery but she never said he was dead. Obviously, the Oceanis 6 made a deal that stipulated they couldn't talk about the other survivors for some unknown reason. That reason, when it's all said and done will be the biggest shocker... I assume, but like I said... I'm drunk.

Also, the writer's knew everyone assumed Michael was "the spy" which is why they revealed him without a lot of drama. That's what makes LOST such a great show... it adapts.
  • I want to know more. I can't wait for next weeks episode. I want all the answers now!

This was another great episode that left you hanging and wanting more. I want all the answers to all the questions I have. Like for instance....Micheal????? I had a feeling that we would be seeing him again but as the spy....now that is good! What about Jin I was like wtf when they were showing her having the baby and calling for Jin and how he was searching for a panda. Then it turns out that he is dead. How did he die? Oh and I was mad when Juliet told Jin about Sun's affair. I know she was just trying to help but WOW. I didn't think she would have gone that far to keep her there. Those 300 some bodies that were found at the bottom of the ocean..of course it was Ben I bet he used the bodies of those he killed on the island. I know there is a lot more in store for us Lost fans I can't wait but I know that when we do get all the answers Lost will be no more.....or will it.
  • Very sweet! Nothing of exciting, but a nice episode.

Everybody knew about Michael (now Kevin) on the boat, so it wasn't surprising at all to see him. In spite of this, the moment in which Kevin introduces himself has been seen from the authors as the most important scene of the episode. And maybe that's why Jin and Sun's story is even boring sometimes, simply because it wasn't the real surprise. But it comes out that their story has been really sweet, and sad. Sun survives (so she left the island before it was to late for her baby) and the faithful Jin can not even take a look at his beautiful daughter Ji Yeon. Like a love novel, sometimes foreseeable (it was easy to understand that there were a flashback of Jin and a flashforward of Sun), but definitely adorable.
    I would say it's been a moment of peace before the increbible episodes we still have to watch.
  • Overall this episode was just ok. Somethings worked for me some did not. This episode really tried to surprise me, but fell flat on its face due to poor advertising techniques.

Let's start with the flashback/flash forward. The commercials for Ji Yeon even said that the last of the Oceanic 6 would be revealed. So before this episode I already knew 5/6: Jack, Kate, Hurley, Sayid, and Aaron. Now using basic math skills I knew that there was only one "survivor" left and since Sun was having her baby I knew it was her and concluded that Jin must be having a flashback. Now let's move on to Micheal er, I mean Kevin. This also would have surprised me had the creators not announced it at Comic-Con and had the commercials not mentioned "a familiar face we never thought we would see again returning". Come on! If they were really trying to surprise us, they probably shouldn't have told us these important pieces of information. The episode was not entirely unsurprising, however. When Juliet revealed to Jin that Sun had cheated on him, I almost crapped my pants! That slap was amazing! Also, I did not expect to see Jin's grave marker, although I have a sneaking suspicion he may not be dead. Not the worst episode but definitely not the best. Here's to this Thursday!
  • The last of the oceanic6

A Sun&Jin-centric episode,a Flashback and a Flashforward at the same time ,for the very first time in Lost. Smart and effective!
    Sun decides that she wants to stay on the island and follow Locke's team since she does not trust the freighters. Juliet tries to convince her to stay with them and leave from the island because if she stays then she dies. Juliet is forced to reveal to Jin the affair Sun had some time ago. This works and the couple remains at the beach.
    In the Flashback we see Jin going to a shop and buying a stuffed panda while at the same time we see Sun being in a hospital giving birth to their baby. In the end it is revealed that it was a flashforward and a flashback at the same time. Next, Sun goes with Hurley to Jin's grave and grieve!
    Back on the freighter Regina kills herself when she jumps off the boat. In addition, Desmond and Sayid meet the captain who tells them the truth about oceanic815,that someone set the whole wreckage in the ocean and found so many dead bodies to cover the truth. He claims that Ben is behind all these,and that's way Charles Widmore wants to find him. Afterwards,when the freighter's doctor takes Desmond and Sayid to their new room, the cleaner of the freighter appears who was Michael, introducing himself as Kevin Johnson!
    Superb episode, i am anticipating for the next one!
  • Sun's growing distrust of their rescuers leads here to want to leave for Locke's camp until Juliet reveals a secret from Sun's past to Jin. Sayid meets an old friend on the freighter.

I tohught this was a sad episode, Sun giving birth to her baby all alone, because Jin apparrantly did not make it off the island, and he is not one of the Oceanic Six, though Sun is, if you count Aaron, then we now know all six.

So the flashes show us two things, in the future Sun gives birth to a baby girl, and two months after their marriage Jin delivers a message to the Chinese Ambassador, which involves a large Panda. So I have to admit I was totally convinced that Jin was racing to get to Sun's side, but alas he did not make it off the island, he "died" on Sept. 22, 2004 with everyone else besides the six. His flashback provided a look into how he became Mr. Paik's pawn and not the man Sun fell in love with, so it provided a good resolution to the news of Sun's infidelity, which Jin knew about from Mr. Paik.

Juliet told Jin the news, which to be honest was not her place, but I think she proved that she will do anything to ensure that she does not lose another pregnant woman.

Bernard reminded Jin about the importnace of marriage and that Locke is a murderer, and one would have to be crazy to go to his camp.

It was nice to know that Hurley came to see the baby, and that he managed his sanity for some time after getting off the island.

On the freighter we met the Captain, and Kevin Johnson, more importantly the revealing of the balck box, eludes to why Ben cannot let anyone off the island, cause then they will question his huge cover up, but this also explains why the Oceanic Six are so famous, cause they really should have been dead. This freighter is the creepiest element of this season, second maybe to Miles, someone shot someone, they are all jumping ship, and not moving, and there is a spy on the ship, and I am goign to assume his name is Kevin Johnson.

This was a great episode, very sad, but very interesting.
  • That was Lost perfection, in my opinion.

I give Yunjin Kim and Daniel Dae Kim HUGE props and kudos for this one, they just beautifully acted throughout the entire episode and made it astoundingly believable. First, on the boat "Kevin" is revealed to us. *cough* not it's Micheal! Woot. I never really liked him in the first place though, but it gives people on the forums something to talk about. On the other side of the spectrum, when Sun threatened to leave the camp, Juliet had to reveal to Jin that Sun thought it wasn't her baby(she was cheating). And then the whole karma thing went on, I really enjoyed that scene... and in the end on the island, Sun and Jin made up. I thought after that scene that this was a beautiful episode and yay they live happily ever after, but guess what, flashforward and we see Sun mourning Jin being dead... that seriously was just, splendid acting and it made me want to cry so yea... loved this episode to pieces. Can't wait to see more of Sun and Jin in the future.
  • This episode shows how Lost has evolved as a show.

For the first few seasons, this would have simply been a filler episode with no meat beyond the main characters' story. But this episode makes progress on multiple fronts. Not only do we finally get an answer to the "man on the boat" non-mystery (yes, it's the obvious reveal), but we also get anotehr glimpse into the future, in regards to Jin and Sun's baby.

The flash-forwards reveal not only the birth of the eponymously named baby, but also give us a future mystery vis-a-vis her father. (And was it just me, or was Hurley's visit a little strange?)

On the freighter, more off-island insanity. At least two more crazies on the boat. One decided to take a swim wrapped in chains, and another decided to eat a bullet at some point. What is it with these freighter people?

Next week's episode promises another death. Is it just me, or are the suvivors starting to get killed off at an accelerated rate?

BTW, given Kate's episode, my money's on Claire. She no longer seems important to the story. Also, consider Jack's story about the Oceanic 6 having originally been 8 survivors. Does that mean we get 2 deaths? Is one of the Jin?
< 1 2 3