Lost

LaFleur

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Mar 04, 2009 on ABC

• Sawyer confirms that he would have been a better leader than Jack

When Oceanic 815 crashed on the island in Season 1, I always thought that if only Sawyer had been a little less "Every man for himself" in his attitude, he would have been a better leader than Jack.

As Sawyer notes in Season 5, Jack never thought things through. He merely reacted, and got people killed.

He repeatedly led people on one wild goose chase after another. Up to the radio tower. Down to the beach. Into the caves. Onto the ship. Round and round. Chasing their tails.

In this episode, Sawyer confirms my suspicion. He always had a cooler head than Jack.
  • LaFleur are you really Sawyer?

We start of in the past with the remaining surviors (Sawyer, Juliet, Miles, Jin and Daneil). It is the 1960's and the DARMAH people are on the island and seem to be having problems with the Others (Just like everyone else)

a DARMAH couple gets attacked by two Others and Sawyer and Juliet come two the rescue guns blazing like a hot bada** couple, saddly the man dies and his girlfrend tricks her heros and knocks them out.

We meet the head of DARMAH Horace Godspeed (the biggest hippie I've ever seen, but it is the 60's) who questions Sawyer about how he and his people got to the island - Because according to the info they got from the DARMAH girl sawyer is the groups leader. Sawyer uses his talents as a lieing con artist to deliver a convinceing story that he and his friends were shipwrecked and his name is James LaFleur.
    Before their fate can be decided Richard the ageless elder of the Others shows up as result of the two Others that Sawyer and Juliet killed. Godspeed prepares for battle (wierd for a hippie) But Sawyer stops him by offering to talk to Richard and telling him that all blame goes to him and since he is not DARMAH this should prevent a war.
    Once again Sawyer uses his con artist skills and his time travel experinec to convince Richard to back if they hand over the dead DARMAH guys body which doesn't sit well with his girlfriend. Sawyer's attacks save's the group and they have been working with the DARMAH folks for 3 years.

Sawyer's transformation in this episode, no in this seires is amazing.He is agreat leader (although he really is the only one left for this job sinceMiles isno leader, Dan is still crushed over the death ofhis one true love, Juliet isgetting over the fact that she's back in the island Subburbs were she had been for the past 4 ears, and Jin has a langue barrier thing)
    Now Sawyer or rather James LaFleur is head of security and second in command; Miles is his Lackie, Juliet is his lover and a mechanic, Jin works security as well and speacks perfect english (ABOUT TIME). Sawyer is respected and feared by the DARMAH folks now I can get fearing Sawyer but to Respect him-
    But then again he has eraned it.

Sawyer seems to be letting go of the past as he is now going by his first real name "James" for the first time in the series.
    He also seemed to feel sorry for thedead DARMAH gus girlfriend when she gave his body to the Others.

He and Juliet make a great couple, and they really seem to connet and trust each other (something that would have been inpossible to think aboutback in season 3) proff of this is how Sawyer convinces her to stay on the island with him, and deliver a baby something she swore of doing due to her failures after coming to the island.
    Oddly enough Sawyer and Juliet have been living a lie for 3 years and still maintained a great relationship, while Jack and Kaite lived a lie for 3 years and they completly fell apart.

All in all best Sawyer cetric episode ever!!!!!!

• We finally end up in a familiar place, and someone gets a new name and a new job

We've been dealing with time travel a lot on Lost, but we haven't dealt with the emotional part of time travel. In the main action of the first four seasons of the show, a hundred days passed. During the fourth season, we went through a period of flashforwards, where we saw bits of the next three years through the eyes of the Oceanic 6 plus Ben. Basically what's been happening on the island the first half of Season 5 is time travel, though we're never going to be sure how it was certain people managed to move through time, while the island stayed in the same place. But when Locke pushed the Unfrozen Donkey Wheel, the island seems to have made one more huge jump --- and finally stopped moving. But as Dan puts it, "We're just not on the song we want to be on."

That Dan is able to make any coherence of this at all is a miracle. He's a yammering wreck when we first see him --- he barely had seconds to react to Charlotte's death, and now somehow her body has not traveled with them. For the rest of the episode, he's a shell of himself, barely able to speak coherently. Somebody has to take over and lead--- and now that would seem to be Sawyer.

Sawyer--- or we might as well start calling him James, because that's pretty much who he's going to be in the eyes of everybody for the rest of the season--- has made the furthest emotional journey of pretty much everyone on the island. He was utterly reprehensible for much of the shows first three season, but there were patches of light throughout. He seemed to be headed to darkness at the end of Season 3, when he killed Cooper and then blew a hole in Tom after he surrendered. But in Season 4, he began to take a more heroic role, saving Claire from assassination, getting a group of people away from Locke, sacrificing his own rescue so that others could leave. Now, even though he's been dropped in the early seventies, he manages to find a way to improvise. The skills lying that he managed to acquire as a con man finally seem to be used in a positive way. He saves a woman from kidnapping, then manages to sell a story to the Dharma Initiative about who his people are and why they are here. It's hard not to compare this to what Jack did when the Oceanic 6 were rescued; the big difference is they follow him willingly, and manage to uphold the lie.

It's taken us two seasons, but we're finally back in the Dharma Initiative, led by that character we've seen glimpses of, Horace Goodspeed. This must be some kind of sustained nightmare for Juliet, considering how hard she wanted to get away from this particular block of housing, but she manages to hide it pretty well for the majority of the episode. If anything, she seems to have James' back for the moment he takes shots at the Others who try to kill Amy, and she holds in her inner knowledge about the island to the best of her ability. (It must have been kind of frustrating, after all that time in medical school, that's she now working as a mechanic, but then again, considering what being a fertility specialist was like in her stint as an other, maybe it's a relief that all she has to do is fix cars.)

Sawyer gives a modified story of himself as James LaFleur, which is a modified version of Rousseau's story, combined with the search for the Black Rock. This particular story manages to fool Horace, but all it does is guarantee that he and his friends get a trip on the sub at morning. (I've never understood why Miles and Juliet wanted to leave that bad. Even if they get off the island, it pretty much means they have to live in the seventies, a period which seems only mildly better than being stranded on the island in the present.) Then Richard Alpert (looking a lot neater than he did when we last saw him in this era, 'The Man Behind the Curtain') makes an appearance. Somehow, he got past the sonic fence that KO'd our heroes when they tried to walk through. He also states that while the fence keeps back many things, his people isn't one of them. Which does beg the question, why haven't the Others attacked by now? This question might be answered later.

James then walks up to Richard, and manages to convince him that he was responsible for the death of the man, and more importantly, that he's waiting for John Locke to come back. (It's pretty clear this surprises Richard, though he has a good poker face.) They work out an arrangement that leads to restoration of the status quo, and gets James some good will with Horace. He convinces Juliet to stay for two weeks, just like Ben managed to convince her to stay for six months.

Three years later, James has become the head of security for the whole Dharma Initiative. Everybody looks up to him; some people even fear him. For a man who once couldn't wait to get off this 'damn rock', he's finally got a position of security. (How long, it might well be asked, was he planning to keep it? Didn't he know about the Dharma Purge?) What's more, he seems to have gotten past the crush on Kate that was both liberating him and weighing him down, the whole time she was on the island. He now seems to be in love with Juliet, and they've got a domestic setup. He feels secure enough that when Horace, working off a hangover (which he used to nearly blow the place to smithereens) and asks him if it's possible to get over someone, he says, yes, you can.

But isn't James talking out of one side of his mouth? As we've heard from Jin (who, thank God, has finally managed to learn English by now) they've been doing grid searches of the island for three years, looking for signs of somebody. But why are they looking for Locke? The flashes have stopped; there's no danger of anyone dying. No, he's still remember what Locke told him back in 'The Little Prince''--- he's going to bring 'them' back. And for James, that means Kate. We saw in his eyes the moment he saw her in that moment where she helped Claire give birth to Aaron. She is the one that got away (though to be fair, he never really had her). And even though he's been with Juliet nearly ten times longer than he even knew Kate, when Jin calls and tells him that he's found them, he doesn't even hesitate before lying to Juliet about what's happened. He can't keep this a secret, he knows that, but he doesn't want to share her, not yet. And the expression that crosses his face the moment that Kate steps out of the Dharma van demonstrates that in this case, absence definitely has made the heart grow fonder.

Josh Holloway's work in this episode is superb, but he isn't the whole show. Jeremy Davies has to go through an even greater range of emotion in just a few hours. This is significant, because we won't be seeing Dan for a while now. Elizabeth Mitchell has always been good, but she was underutilized in Season 4. Here she regains her stride, particularly in the scene where she has to deliver a breech birth. The look of joy on her face when she finally manages to deliver a healthy, breathing boy into the world--- it's clearly one of the few really good things to happen to her on the island, and it shows. Reiko Aylesworth is very good as Amy, showing levels of emotion she was never quite allowed to dip into in all her years on 24, and Doug Hutchinson shows certain levels of... humanity, he's rarely been able to explore on any film or TV show he's been a part of it.

'LaFleur' (I have no idea what this name means to James; my guess is it's a maiden aunt of some kind) has been staying on the island, waiting and hoping 'his people' to come back. It took three years, and in that time, he's actually managed to do something Sawyer was never capable of--- build a life. The conflict between the two is going to be a huge part of the drama in the second half of Season 5. But that's about to become the smallest obstacle anybody in or out of the Dharma Initiative will have to face.
    My score:9
  • Great episode that explores more about the Dharma Initiative and the Hostles.

This was a very good episode. After the last two episodes that explored the Oceanic 6 and their journey back to the island, and Locke's adventure off the island as Jeremy Bentham and his reincarnation, we get to see what has happened to Sawyer, Juilet, Jin, Daniel, and Miles. After Locke stops the time shifts, they find themselves in the past, in 1974 were they will remain. As Faraday puts it, the record has stopped skipping, so they are not traveling through time anymore, but it is playing the wrong song, hence 1974. Sawyer is at the heart of this episode and he has found himself a new lady. The flashback/flashforward system is used to show what they experienced once Locke stopped the time shifts, as well as the present (which is 1977 for them) and what is currently happening on the island(1974-77). They are constantly searching and waiting for the Oceanic 6 return. This reunion, or half a reunion, is how the episode concludes. Also a nice, albeit, short glimpse of the four toed statue we first saw back in the season 2 finale.
  • amazing once more

just keeps getting better and better! we learn alot more about the dharma initiative and their history, we also catch a glmpse of what used to be the four toed statue! i thought that was cool and it gave me shivers. The moment where daniel sees young charlotte was intense, and it gave me goosebumps. Overall, i really loved this episode and sawyer is amazing. Hopefully i'll get used to the whole juliet and sawyer thing, ive always been a skate shipper, and i always wanted juleiot with jack, guess things dont go the way i want them to, but the ending was intense and i guess i was sort of disspointed that they didnt cover more of it and now we have to wait 2 whole weeks. BUT, im sure it will be worth the wait
  • Can we say, awesome?

That is what I am talking about, for the second week in a row Lost, you have blown me away. The glimpse of the statue/idol was just a killer way to start it off. FINALLY we learn what has happend to our abandoned comrades for the last three years, and really they haven't been doing that bad. We learned how Daniel appeared in the Orchid (Season 4), we encountered Horace again, and the meeting between Richard and Sawyer... you couldn't HELP but sit there and smile and shake your head in awe. Now, being the chick that I am, the best part for me was the love that Sawyer and Juliet found in eachother. THANK GOD. This poor guy, I mean as terrible as he has been he finally got the girl. And this girl isn't running to his tent to bang him because Jack shared his spoon with Juliet. The smile he gave her after she saved the baby (*The 1st one ever to be concieved on the island under Juliet's care*) was nothing short of priceless. If Kate comes in to screw this up... This is in my top 5 best episodes of all time. Loved it. Loved it. Loved it.

AND, ONE quick question to sum this up. The submarine came back two weeks later from the day that Horace first wanted to ship them off. Is that the very trip that brings Ben to the island to begin with???!? Just a thought!!!
  • You will have to watch the episode. You can watch it on abc.com.

I have been a fan of lost since season 2, but the episodes this season have been garbage and confusing. Now I understand where the writers our trying to move the show. This was the best episode since season 3 finale. I still dont know where there are exactly going, but where ever it is I believe it will be good. Wasnt it great the see the statue again! I know true lost fans where excited to see that.I hvae a question though, please help me answer this. Why doesnt Richard know anything, but he seems to be ageless?

p.s. A war is coming, or maybe it already happened.
  • LeFleur Brings In A New Dawn

Welcome to Lost for the forseeable future - stuck in the Dharma days as we get to know the mystery of the Dharma Inititive, a mystery that we have always wanted to know for the past couple of seasons. I was so happy in the beginning of the episode when we saw a full version of the statue, but then I laughed when I realized we weren't really going to see the full statue in this episode - only the backside of it. I have thought for a long time that the statue was going to be Richard Alpert - because it makes sense. However, I have recently read a theory regarding Daniel Faraday which seems like it could be pretty good. Very happy to see them show the full statue and even happier (now) not knowing what it is because the rest of the episode turned out to be fantastic, pulling in right behind "316" as number one for the season for me. I loved the Richard Alpert / Sawyer scene. Sawyer kind of takes his "Head of Security" role in this episode. I'm not sure if we will get more flashbacks to 1971 - 1974 or if that was kind of it. These are the kinds of things that the writers can decide and I'll be fine with either way. They could show some stories during the past three years or they could just go from here and use Kate and Hurley as the primary flashback devices in this time era. Another big scene that I predicted (and enjoyed) was the Juliet Sawyer being together three years into the future. Everyone kind of saw it coming as soon as Jack and Kate hooked up off the island. It made sense that Sawyer and Juliet would do something on the island, making it interesting when Jack and Kate get back. I loved Sawyer's "I don't even remember her face" line. He seems like he could be over her, but I expect a dark future for Juliet and Sawyer. It's really hard to imagine the time difference here. Sawyer knew Kate for 110 days before she left the island, which took up 4 seasons of show and its hard to make the connection that Juliet / Sawyer have been going at each other now for over 1000 days because we have only seen it in one episode. I do hope that Sawyer stays with Juliet, but I sense some fighting on the horizon over the return of Kate. Loved the explainations in the beginning by a very "out of it" Daniel Faraday. The island has stopped moving through time thanks to whatever Locke did down in the Donkey wheel area. Again - explained very well and acted out very well. Overall, blockbuster episode that I think really symbolizes the return of the season for me. I have a felling the second half is going to be far stronger then the first half as its more my LOST "style".
  • Excellent, best damn show EVER!

OMG what an episode....I LOVED every second of it. If anyone has doubts about this show, they should slap themselves in the face becuase this show is unlike any other....its simply AMAZING! It's the most unique show out there....just the greatest show on earth (there's never gonna be another).
    I won't give too much away but I just have to say one thing SPOILER (look away if you havent seen this ep).........

...the statue gave me goosebumps....OMG I had chills....if you are dying to see the four toed statue then you will get a glimpse of it. This episode was pure brilliance.
  • Lost keeps on rocking...

Fantastic episode again. Sort of a "re-premiere". Now that all the time anomaly is gone, the left-behinders are stuck in the Dharma era. Fantastic way to tell the Dharma story, I must say. While we didn't actually see the inner workings of Dharma this time, or any stations, it wasn't really missing. A good character driven story, with lots of focus on Sawyer and Juliet.

To me, the 3 biggest highlights:

-The statue

-Richard entering the barracks

-Juliet and Sawyer kissing.

I was also impressed at how well the writers integrated Horace's character into the story, and actually developed him to a point where he finally feels like a normal character and not just a 2 dimensional extra. Overall, Lost season Five is continouing it's quest to become the best season of the show so far.
  • The best episode of the series.

James finally gets to show all of his attributes as a person. He is intelligent, has a lot of strategies and above all, knows how to move on. James is a fighter, adapts himself to circumstances which makes him a better leader than jack himself or even locke. Yes, the 3rd leader has been revealed. Come on! He could even motivate Juliet to try to deliver the baby! That is something even Ben had a hard time doing! In less than a minute he convinced Richard he was not part of the dharma initiative and got to an agreement!!! There is neither a "I have to fix things so people get to love me" Philosophy here, nor a "I am obsessed with my Daddy and therefore i need to be important" factor. Yes, it might be that he was trying to con himself into believing he does not love Kate anymore, but come on, Juliet is badass too!!! This episode has helped me in my personal life a 100% I am not the same person after I watched it.
  • No one can do this episode justice.

I can't put this episode into words. All I can say is; its a must see. This is the first episode I've bothered to review at all.

Really in a review you go over what has happened but in this case I don't want to compromise it in the slightest. Its not just like the other episodes this season which have been so good that they feel 20 minutes too short, its more. Its made the wait until next week feel far too long. My only fear is that this episode raises the bar so much that Lost will get canceled as all great shows seem to.
  • This episode Change everything! Beware of Spoilers.

This actually my first review, so please be nice. :-)

I can't describe how good this episode is! The Second i saw Four-Toed Statue i understand that the writers are going in to deep mythology here.
    This episode feels like a Game-Changer again, after Through the Looking Glass where they were stuck in the future, in "LaFleur" The Losties are stuck in Dharma-Time!
    It was from Season 2 that i wanted to know more about the Dharma Initiative and finally i think we're going to find so much answers in the future episodes. Keep it work, this is the best show ever!
  • Lost at it's absolute best!

No, it didn't tell us every secret there is to know of the series. There were no mindblowing revelations or anything like that. Still, despite all of that, it was easily the season's best episode. It had something very important to the series, character development. It does answer some questions such as ones of the DI and the statue. It also finally had Sawyer and Juliet get together. IDK if I can go back to Skate after this. From start to finish, this episode was just well done. My only complaint would be that I miss the time travel sounds and wish they did that instead of telling us the 3 years thing every time. But aside from that very small detail, absolute perfect episode.
  • Fantastic episode in a series that has been excellent so far.

This was a hugely enjoyable episode, mainly telling Sawyer's story of what happens to those left on the island after Locke left. I loved the way he and Juliet found love with each other. And of course the reunion at the end was superb. Horace came back into the story too, this time as a much more fleshed out character. Some information was revealed about the Dharma Initiative era though I feel there is a lot more to come over the next few weeks. This was another really great episode in what I am sure will turn out to be the best season so far.
  • Oo.. a really major developments..

The record seems to be back on and they are somewhere in 80's and oo.. what a development. It is still Dharma days and they manage to save one of them, get into and then somehow manage to day.. so we have three years cap.. But I really liked the way it was built and the opportunity that it will be old days.. to see the island back then.. it looks so promising. And it was not the situation they are now in that amazed me in this episode.. also the emotional part.. the way Sawyer really managed to get so much emotion into his char.. and the heart to heart talk with Hector about Kate.. and then the ending.. it was really intriguing.
  • Three years later...Richard, Statue, Horace, Baby, Juliet, and LeFleur!!!

Wow!!!! LeFleur was totally amazing if you havent seen it go and see it now!!!

Since the beginning of the episode when we get another glimpse at the statue i knew that this episode will be awesome!!!

A baby was born on this episode... who is it?

Juliet and Sawyer relationship grows in all the time they have spend together... their thoughts of them coming back are almost gone.. when Jin finds them!!!

Its so awesome to see Juliet happy :) the scene where she says she is going to leave the island was kinda sad... i mean of all people she is the one that really needs to go (for her sister)!

Overall an excelent episode!, full of emotions twist an lots of mysteries and excitement for those Lost fans like me

What has Faraday being doing since he joined the Dharma? Where is Pierre Chang? Will we se more of little Charlotte? Is Ben, Locke and Ajiras people in the same time?
  • awesome!!!

Wow!!!! LeFleur was totally amazing if you havent seen it go and see it now!!!

A baby was born on this episode... who is it?

• A Sawyer-centric episode.

Let me just start off by saying that all things considered, I absolutely loved this episode. Sawyer has always been one of my top favorite characters on Lost, so I'm really glad that they finally had a Sawyer-centric episode after such a long period of time of not having a Sawyer-centric episode. I thought Sawyer was really great in this episode. I think that Josh Holloway did an amazing job of playing Sawyer in this episode. I have to say that I really liked the Juliet and Sawyer pairing in this episode, and I really hope that just because Kate is back on the island along with the rest of the Oceanic 6 that it doesn't mean Juliet and Sawyer will stop being a couple. This episode was definitely full of excitement. All in all, I thought that this was a very well written, well acted and well made episode of Lost from everyone involved, and I can't wait to see the next episode of Lost.
  • LOST keeps getting better and better!

In the episode Lafleur it is revealed that the people that were still on the island when Locke moved it once again are all now stuck in 1974 in which is when the dharma initiative was running the island. After spending 3 years on the island, the 815 survivors have now joined the dharma initiative and live with them. I thought that revelation was amazing. Another thing that i thought was amazing was when Faraday saw Charlotte as a child and she waved to him, it was extremely moving. I'm extremely glad to see the O6 finally back on the island and rejoining there old friends that they left behind. LOST is the best show on television and this episode helped prove that.
  • DAMMIT!! One hell of an episode!!

This episode was not only the best in weeks, but also the best of season 5!

The build up was awesome, switching from normal time to three years in the past, everything fitted so well!
    The episode started immediately very good with the statue! I was waiting for that moment for sooo damn long!

We saw the little Charlotte, the conversation with Alpert was awesome, the relation between Juliet and Sawyer, We descovered more about Horace, and at the end, we had the finally the reunion!

We descover so much more, and no new questions are raised, I really think Lost is at a turning point!

Awesome!
  • I have only just started watching Lost again after decided seasons 3 and 4 weren't for me. This season has got me interested again and well it's about time.

The flashes has finally stopped after a whirlwind journey through time. It's quite unfortunate how it ended for Daniel, Charlotte died and left him devastated so he did not have a great deal to say in this episode, except for looking miserable.
    Sawyer, known as "LeFleur" by the people working on the Dharma has taken lead and makes up a story about their ship crashing and how they became stranded on the island, looking for other survivors. At the moment it is unknown (maybe i missed something due to the poor internet connection) how they managed to stay on the island, when they were about to be shipped out by submarine to tahiti. I enjoyed the last few minutes, it was nice to see Sawyers expression when he knew they were back and it will be interesting with his relationship with Kate, even though she is with Jack.
  • Why is LOST soo Amazing? I dont care what people think but every episode satisfies me. Anyways this episode got me to ask a lot of questions! And here are some of the following..

What is the significance of the giant statue? The giant statue appears to be Anubis, the Egyptian god of the dead, to what extent does this statue imply the reality of the island - that dead people continue to appear on the Island and some who die appear unable to stay dead? In mythology, Anubis was charged with determining if someone who died was worthy to enter the realm of the dead... could this statue imply something about those who continue to appear on the Island after they die? What could this statue mean for John Locke who appears unable to stay dead? Why was Amy and her son able to survive the delivery? What is the nature of the truce between the DHARMA Initiative and the Others? Was Amy's and Peter's picnic location a violation of the truce? Why were Richard's people so brutal and murderous in their treatment of Amy and Paul? Where are Rose, Bernard, and the other survivors? Where is Daniel Faraday in 1977? What is the significance of Paul's ankh necklace? Why did Jack, Kate, and Hurley return to 1977? Why wasn't Richard concerned about the Sonic fence? Why do the Others want Paul's corpse? Who is the red-headed little girl? How did Sawyer get Juliet to stay for more than two weeks? Did Sawyer and the others encounter a young Benjamin Linus there, and if so, how did they interact with him? Since Sawyer, Juliet, Jin, Miles, and Faraday are seemingly fine, why did the Oceanic Six have to return? Why did Locke have to do anything other than set the wheel back on its axis?

LOST is the best!!!!!!
  • A Sawyer- centric episode, with a mixture of Dharma Initiative and a touch of Richard Alpert to create brillance.

It was a big ask for the LOST creators to come up with an episode that was as good as the unique and brillant 'The Life and Death of Jeremy Bentham' but by George, did LaFleur deliver. As soon as I heard "Previously on Lost" I was hooked and didn't dare to take my eyes away in case I missed anything.

I was over the moon, when a couple of minutes into the episode that it appeared to be Sawyer- centric episode. He is possibly my favourite character and it has been a while since we had a Sawyer episode (Since season 3 none the less). It is shame that Sawyer doesn't get enough centric episodes, because some of my favourite episodes of Lost are Sawyer centric. But thats enough of me rambling about the greatness of Sawyer. Back to the episode itself.

The episode was perfect; it seemed to have everything in it. Such as Richard Alpert, The Dharma Initiative, Romance, Gun Shooting and some dodgy dancing. With the Losties now part of Dharma, it has slowly and surely being filling us in with those nagging questions that has been bugging me since the first season. And I do hope that the story arch with Dharma continues through another several episodes. I am hereby stating that I hope Sawyer and Juliet will stay together and that Sawyer doesn't go with Kate. But it seems we shall see in the next couple of episodes.
  • Lost is getting back one track: this episode was exciting, heartfelt, and didn't leave the audience with a painfully spinning head of confusion.

First off, let me say I was seriously looking forward to this episode with fear. I knew, knew, KNEW the writers were pushing Sawyer and Juliet together, but I didn't know how I felt about it. I was entirely unsure. Would they be eachother's consolation prizes after the departure of Jack and Kate, or would there be something genuine and intriguing between them?

So, first I'll say thank you to the writers for stopping the time warps. My head was beginning to ache just as much as the character sin the show. Nevertheless, hurrah for the brief view of the statue. I have been wondering about that scary four toed foot for quite a bit now.

Secondly, I'm liking the twist of the Losties being forced to join Dharma and that they are stuck in the 70's. It was convincing, put together well, and not forced at all. I won't spoil much more about how that goes down, but it was nice to have something finally happen in a logical sense.

And finally, onto the romance. You know, I really liked that we didn't see THE moment they get together. That's what I feared. Woudl it be convincing enough? Would it be believable after four seasons of Sawyer/Kate tension? And the writers pulled through. I think they took a much better route by showing the before and after.
    Yeah, I think the before was very believable. And the after was actually freaking precious. The two of them surprisingly make a really sweet couple: while Sawyer's attraction to Kate is somewhat shallow due to the fact that it's based in empathy towards their respective "dark" pasts and sexual attraction, Juliet really balances him out well. He's hard-headed and rambunctious, and her calm nature really fits with him well. But she's also strong and hard, enough to challenge him. I really, really, really LOVED it.

That being said, AUGHHHHHHH, why does Kate have such craptastic timing? Even so, I'm excited to see the tension. But I'd really love to find out how this is going to play out. I mean, really, I do believe Kate and Jack are meant to be. So I'm hoping it happens with Juliet and Sawyer as well.

On a side note, Richard Alpert is just wonderful. He's sort of like a vampire in his creepy, ageless, frightening, non-Edward Cullen kind of way.
    I love him, and I would just love to find out more about him....Please, writers? Please?

But, overall, great episode, look forward to the next one!!!!!!!!
  • The first Sawyer-centric ep since early season 3. And it's a sweet one!

I've never been a big fan of the Juliet character. But i've got to give this episode props for developing her relationship with Sawyer in a natural /believable way. I'm pulling for those two crazy kids! with the reveal of the 06 returning (at their same time- 1977), if Juliet still likes Jack, this could be the first good love quadrangle I've ever seen.

But oddly, the episode as a whole didn't do much for me. The flashes have stopped (thank God!) but now, stuck in the 70s, Sawyer and co. somehow manage to integrate themselves into DHARMA. okay... It's been fun learning about the history of the island this season (statue alert!) but I honestly don't know where their going with this. Like faraday, my mind is a jumble due to the do's and don't of time travel. All I know is a Purge is coming...
  • King James

With the return of the Oceanic Six covered ("316") and the adventures of John Locke off the island recounted ("The Life and Death of Jeremy Bentham"), only the travails of the characters back on the island remain to be covered before bringing all three groups back together in some fashion. That story turns out to be the rise of Sawyer as the leader that so many, particularly Hurley, felt he could be.

Sawyer comes into his own in a big way in this episode, and it is a major advancement of his story arc. Gone is the Sawyer that would have concerned himself solely with his own survival and interests. He is now as capable a leader as Jack, and perhaps a better one at this point. The three years with the Dharma Initiative certainly have something to do with that, but he was already taking charge (with Juliet's able guidance) once the time jumps stopped. (And it's fun to note that Miles essentially took up Sawyer's previous role as the sarcastic challenger to Sawyer's assumed authority.)

The episode itself is relatively straightforward once the pattern was recognized. Most of the actions jumps between 1974 (when the Oceanic Tribe first encounters Amy) and 1977 (when Amy gives birth). Sadly, the impact of the final scene was completely obliterated by the ABC promotional staff, so what probably would have been relatively smooth foreshadowing felt heavy-handed and obvious.

The beginning of the episode dropped a few interesting clues and details. Just before Locke turns the Frozen Donkey Wheel back into its proper position, the Oceanic Tribe notices that they are in the ancient past. A huge Egyptian-style statue can be seen in the distance (ostensibly the source of the "four-toed statue" from "Live Together, Die Alone"). That links to the hieroglyphics seen at the Temple site (and for that matter, the Swan Station, the door for the controls to Cerberus, the Frozen Donkey Wheel, and Hurley's drawing of Egypt in the previous episode), and continues to build evidence for ancient origins of the island.

One interesting note involves Jacob/Christian Shepherd. If the Oceanic Tribe (and John Locke) were in the ancient past when the Frozen Donkey Wheel was turned into its proper position, then Jacob/Christian Shepherd appears to be independent of the normal passage of time. Either that, or Jacob/Christian Shepherd was caught up in the time jumping as well.

It was a great idea to have the Oceanic Tribe "stop" in the 1970s era of the Dharma Initiative, before whatever catastrophe was mentioned in the Swan Station orientation film. This presents the perfect opportunity to fill in the gaps in the Dharma part of the mythology left from earlier seasons. Most of the scenes are meant to explain how Sawyer and the rest came to be welcomed into the Dharma Initiative, especially when there was no reason for Horace to trust them at all. Saving Amy was a nice start, and preventing a war with Richard was even better. But it was mostly about Sawyer's decision to step up to the plate and keep his people on the island long enough to find the rest of the Oceanic Tribe.

The location of Rose, Bernard, and the others in 1974 (and 1977, for that matter) is still to be resolved. That appears to be a bit of a plot hole, but it's also something that could be easily answered later in the season. Less clear is how Richard could remember John Locke (and presumably, now the man with the really fake facial hair), yet seem not to know them in the months after the crash of Oceanic 815. And if that red-headed child was supposed to be Charlotte, that's an apparent continuity error; according to Ben's litany in the fourth season, Charlotte wasn't born until 1979!

Paul's ankh necklace is an interesting little artifact, because it could link to the gigantic statue earlier in the episode. The statue appeared to be holding two ankhs, one in each hand. The ankh is a symbol for eternal life (perhaps a connection to Richard and the unusual properties of the island) and fertility. Amy later gives birth on the island, which holds potential significance in light of the symbolism.

It's ironic that Juliet agrees to stay and help Sawyer for two weeks, and ends up being there for at least another three years. It's a close parallel to Juliet's previous experience with the Others. Three years is long enough for Juliet to start up a relationship with Sawyer, who seems to excel at fanning the romantic flames with women who used to be close with Jack. It's this obvious rapport between Sawyer and Juliet that practically demands the return of Kate at the end.

The difficulty of women to give birth safely on the island was a major plot thread in the second and third seasons, and Juliet brings up her own failure to resolve the problems back in the future. Those issues only emerged when women both conceived and delivered on the island, so one can assume that Horace and Amy weren't somewhere off the island when the conception took place. As Juliet and Sawyer seem to agree, this implies that something changed between 1977 and 2001, when Juliet arrived on the island.

Daniel is nowhere to be found in the 1977 scenes, which could intersect with his activities in the opening sequence of "Because You Left". He could be working on the Orchid Station, given his scientific prowess, and that would position him perfectly for any upcoming attempt to turn the Frozen Donkey Wheel and return to 2008. And that does seem like something that will happen, because the Oceanic Tribe isn't supposed to be there by the time Ben arrives on the island (pretty much any day now), since he would have recognized them if they had been there!

Enough emphasis was placed on Amy and the arrival of her son to imply that her son will eventually be important to the story (or, at the very least, someone already known). There aren't a whole lot of choices at this point, but considering how connected everyone seems to be, it's unlikely to be some random child. Amy's son would be about 30-31 at the time of the Oceanic 815 crash.

Now that it's been confirmed that Jack, Kate, and Hurley have also arrived in 1977, the question is whether or not Sayid and Sun arrived in the same time period. Locke and Ben seem to have crashed with the rest on Ajira 316 in 2008, so it's not a given that both are in the same time. Sayid could be back in 1977, while Sun could have been the woman that left with Frank on one of the Ajira canoes, as mentioned in the previous episode.
  • Back to the island and we see what Sawyer, Jin, Juliet, Faraday and what's his name have been up to for the three yrs between Locke leaving and current(?) time.

Just to figure out the timeline, the plane crashed in Sep 2004, the Oceanic 6 came back to reality in what, Jan 05? The season ender #3 with Jack wanting to go back would have been Jan 08-ish?. So, way back when, Sawyer et al finally stabilize at a time when the Dharma and Richard Alpert's "hostiles" have an uneasy truce. The episode is a nice development of "Jim Lafleur" the professional liar. The time warp 5 join the Dharma's and in the intervening 3 years seem to rise in the command structure. Flipping back and forth three years every few minutes kept the story moving intriguing and some good Sawyerisms.
  • "Her face she is gone and never get back" :)

LaFleur, who knows without spoilers that will be Sawyer ?? Oh come on that was nice suprise :)After episode about LOcke, Ben, Widmore was time for Oceanic Six concretely for "Oceanic Island" :P, Daniel is back , he is more crazy than he was... , Sawyer is with Juliet that was really suprise . Episode with total Dharma Initiative that first Dharma Initiative , Horace as leader , shock... some new characters, adventures , mysteries and even nice couple dancing :)
    I think the best in this episode was story Sawyer about dont remember people which people loves, after three years he dont remember what he feel to Kate and he even dont remember her face ... so when I saw Sawyer`s face while he see Kate again I really laughing :)

Nice story episode :) 10
  • WOW!

When this episode first came on I was so confused when we saw Sawyer as LaFleur I then rememberd when Jin was dressed up like a Dharma worker and I realized that this was a cover like they were pretending that they were somone they were not or they were caught and made to be Dharma. The best thing about this episode was when we got to see Richard Alpert and he was still the same and still leading the hostiles.The 4 toed statue and how we got to actually see what it kind of looked like was shocking to me because i almost forgot about it. So all in all this was a great episode.
< 1 2