Lost

LaFleur

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Mar 04, 2009 on ABC

Episode Fan Reviews page 2 of 2

• Superbly scripted !!!!!

One of the finest episodes ever. The best thing about this episode was that there were no new questions raised, and it provided answers to some of the old questions. This was one of the Sawyer centric episode, and Sawyer happens to b my fav character of the show. The moment i saw the statue in the beginning, i was excited to see the remainder of the episode which turned out to be fascinating. The ending was particularly special with the appearance of Jack, Kate and Hurley. This show is becoming more and more exciting with every episode. I just cant wait for the story to unfold. Keep up the good work !!!!!
  • Sawyer=Awesome

It's been almost two and a half years since the last Sawyer episode, so it was about time for one and it didn't disappoint! In fact this episode is probably the closest we'll get to a traditional flashback all season; there were two separate stories running parallel to each other in different times focusing on the same character.

The episode started with the last scene from "This Place is Death", which is normally a cheap trick but worked here to clearly establish that by turning the wheel, Locke saved them all. We then got a very welcome surprise by seeing what is most likely the full four toed statue. While it may have annoyed some that we only saw it for a moment, it is a good reminder to the audience that it will be answered at some point.

So with the time-travel arc done with the characters are now stuck in the seventies. The reveal that Sawyer was LaFleur was relatively obvious, but awesome nonetheless! This is where we had the best use of flashbacks/forwards for a while. The thing this episode had that many others this season have been missing was a fully contained story rather than just set-up. We've already seen a couple of characters working for the Dharma initiative (Daniel and Jin) so here we had confirmation that all our remaining main characters were working for it. The obvious question was how did they end up there, which for once was actually answered! Ok, not fully answered, but enough that it's clear how things will progress.

Amongst other things it is a fantastic idea to place the castaways in the Dharma initiative. As such a big part of the show the DI needs a lot of attention, but it wouldn't have worked if that had all come from one character's flashbacks. To be able to have it in the current timeline of the show means that it can be gone into fully, hopefully giving a satisfying story.

As this is a Sawyer episode I'd better talk about him for a while. He's been probably the best character for the last season and it was fully shown why here. We got to see the there major aspects to his character. Firstly there was action Sawyer when he saved Amy (yay for Michelle Dessler from 24!). He was perfectly reasonable with the gun-happy Others, but was also fully willing to take them out if needed, which he did. Then there was con-man Sawyer when he effortless managed to convince Horace that they had crashed on a boat. The subtle details were played perfectly, and while I'm not sure how Sawyer new so much about the Black Rock, the little mention of it was great! He also managed to work his magic on Richard a bit by telling him the complete truth. A conversation that could have gone so badly was handled perfectly thanks to solid writing and great performances from both actors.

The only complaint I had with the episode was when lovey-dovey Sawyer came around. Now his relationship with Kate is great, but I really was not a fan of him getting together with Juliet. While there is an obvious path that can be seen (she's the only female who knows the truth about him on the island) it still seemed out of place. However it did work when he saw Kate once again. Despite his claims to Horace he's clearly still in love with her and a simple look at the end was all that was needed. While I'm not happy that this will mean yet another love-triangle (or quadrangle when you include Jack) it worked for this episode.

On top of all that other fantastic moments included Jin's improved English and a heart-broken Dan seeing a young Charlotte. Props to Daniel Dae Kim for his continued superb performance as Jin. They could've gone the easy route and had Jin speaking fluent English here (as DDK can), but held back and still kept it slightly broken, which worked far better. Considering what happened to Charlotte was only that same day from Dan's perspective it was understandable that he was pretty quiet for most of the episode. When he did see Charlotte there was no need for dialogue, his look said it all and it was a great moment.

Other than the whereabouts of Rose, Bernard and any other surviving castaways the major question that this episode brought up is how the season will work thematically from here. With two different time periods on the same island does that mean every episode will focus on either the seventies or 2007/8? Or did the new plane in fact also land in the seventies. Anything's possible now, and so long as the episode quality is up with this one's I'm happy with whatever they do!
  • wow this was the best episode yet

Some of what happened in this episode was predictable but at the same time it was so interesting to see it didnt matter. Juliet and sawyer, all of them working for dharma and then at the end when they finally see the oceanic six (some of them anyway) it just makes you want more, and of course the episode ends moments later to leave you hanging.. and how convenient that theres no episode next week lol just makes you want it more. I definately thing this is the best show on tv at the moment and LaFleur was the best episode ive seen. The biggest questions i have are: 1) Did the people on the plane all get sent do different points in time when the last flash happend? Daniel mentioned Charlotte was sent back maybe locke and those others were kept in the present time
  • Skeptical no more!

I have to admit it: I was very skeptical back then when it started to become clear that some sort of time travel was the reason behind the mysteries of the island. But, how wrong was I? So, so wrong. The writers have been doing a wonderful job and every new episode I watch makes me go back to previous ones so I can better understand all the connections between the multiple story lines. I'm absolutely enthralled.

As for the episode itself, it loved it and Sawyer was majestic handling both the Dharma leader and Richard. I was also kinda rooting for him and Juliette ever since Jack and Kate left the island and FINALLY they hooked up (although I must say he's left me jealous, but that's a whole nother story :) ). I really can't wait for next week's episode to see how the reunion will end up, especially how the new love bird will handle the return of their previous crushes.

Bottom line, 11 out of 10.
  • This episode is not about time travel, but feeling travel.

Lost is becoming a masterpiece of tv drama series. Instead of tell repetitive stories from a group of people lost on a island - what I would expect from this season, the theme "time" is so well developed that makes me remember Proust´s In search of Lost Time.
    This episode is not about time travel, but feeling travel. About what happens to our feeling as time goes by, to love when we think it´s gone.
    It seems as if Sawyer ( and, why not, all of them) were always walking in circles, taking his decisions, saying no to certain situations (Kate?), beginning again his life, and when he thinks life is going straight ahead, it comes back like an old vinyl long-play - with the wrong song playing.
  • The best episode yet, a master piece from the writers of this very special show that keeps you "open mouthed"

This is probably the episode everybody was waiting for since we first started to watch the show. It is one chapter of a kind that I guess it's going to repeat its formula from now on. And it is like that because the writers and producers of Lost know that they have to star wrapping up, so they better start explaining and putting pieces toguether if they don't want to find a show's finalle a little bumpy.

"La Fleur" is a very revealling episode, in wich we know, at last the Dharma Initiative from the inside, only seen before in some training videos and the arrival of Ben Lynus with his father.

Besides that, it was about time to offer a new Sawyer based episode. His relationship with Juliette just put the show on top of the game for that matter, the same way time travel did for the "Science Fiction" excuse of the show.

All of us that follow the series since the begining are enjoying this penultimate season that will offer a lot of gifts to its followers (like the four toed statue a last revealed in its original shape).

Great episode, I watched it already 4 times and since there is not going to be another new episode until next week, I guess I will be watching it a couple of times more... the final minute its plain audiovisual poetry.
  • This episode was one of the most cleverly plotted, written and acted episodes I've ever seen of this show.

Last week I was not as blown away by the life and death of Jeremy Bentham as I thought I would be, probably because me expectations for it were way too high. But this week was the complete opposite because I didn't expect too much from it and now it is one of my top ten favourite episodes of all time.
    First of all, the four toed statue. This is the thing for which this episode will always be remembered simply because it was one of the most amazing three seconds in Lost history. The statue was so enormous and magnificent but also slightly chilly and creepy that I'm still thinking about it three days later and everytime I see a picture I get a chill. I have never known people to theorise and go as crazy over something as they have about this and the writers definately know how to give us a tiny taste of something amazing.
    Secondly Sawyer and Juliet. I said before season five started that if Sawyer and Juliet become a couple I will lose faith in the writers. Simply put, I didn't believe they could be together as they seemed more capable of just being friends then lovers. And it's only taken them eight episodes to convince me. The fact that they've been together three years has made me want them to end up together more than Sawyer and Kate. Wouldn't we all live happily ever after if Jack and Kate got married and then Sawyer and Juliet did. Come on!!!! It's perfect. But one of these people will surely die before the end of season six so why bother thinking about it. But it was great to see Sawyer truly happy.
    Jeremy Davis was also outstanding in this episode, even though his part wasn't huge. Daniel seems so trapped in his own head about Charlotte's death and what she told him that even when the camera isnt focusing on him, you can see him in the background acting superbly. He barely talks to any of the other survivors and the only time he perks up is when he sees Charlotte as a little girl. I also loved the fact that he automatically knew it was her. He didn't need telling twice.
    Horace Goodspeed also got a whopping part in this episode. We find out that he is the spokesperson for Dharma, that he is the father of Amy's baby, that his wife Olivia is either dead or she left him and that he is actually good friends with Sawyer. I still can't wrap my head around that in the present time on the show Horace is alive, but it's some good television right there. But who is his baby? People have been saying Ben but this is such a retarted answer I nearly scream everytime I hear it. My guess is one of the others. Wouldn't it be the biggest betrayal if one of the others we've seen so far (Tom, Ethan, Goodwin) once had a father in Dharma and betrayed him. I know it's been done with Ben but still.
    Richard's part in the episode was also fantastic. What is it with Nestor Carbonell and his creepy aura that makes you want to run the other way? I don't know. I'm glad that Sawyer had the upper hand in the conversation rather than Richard because there have been too many times where the others have been talking smug to the survivors like this. However one nitpick is I'm worrying that Richard has only got his information on the survivors from them. Locke and Sawyer have now told him information that he had no clue about before and comes in useful for him later. I hope we find out just how huge Richard is soon...and if he has four toes. On the whole this episode as great. The fact that Jack, Kate and Hurley returning isn't happy but actually irritating because they're ruining Sawyer's happiness was a nice twist and left the cliffhanger a little bitter sweet. I can't wait for Namaste in which we find out what happened to Sun, Sayid and Frank after the crash and the story continues with Locke and Ben on the Hydra island. Could we find out who was shooting at Locke, Sawyer, Juliet, Dan, Miles and Charlotte in the boat? I hope so.
  • sawyer is going to be a perfect man. the relationship between kate and him will be very exciting. i think this episode is the best in season5. although we didn,t find much more about dharma but we found that sharlot was in the island

exciting
    sawyer is going to be a perfect man.
    the relationship between kate and him will be very exciting.
    i think this episode is the best in season5.
    although we didn,t find much more about dharma but we found that sharlot was in the island before.
    but my question is how richard didin,t know sawyer?
    richard is the one who can travel in time and he must know sawyer and others.

i hope sawyer and kate fall in love again and make jack angry. because everytime jack maked angry the story would be so nice.
    thank you from all of you. thanka a lot
    this at least 100 words long make me angry
  • LOST is transitioning into its final run, and I couldn't be more excited! This week was a superb Sawyer episode, and sets up the rest of the series.

When determining an end-date to the series, Lost producers hoped for two more seasons, but ABC instead demanded three shortened seasons of 16 episodes each. It's clear to see that the last three weeks would have been the penultimate finale of Lost, with the show making its way into its final stretch. The season 4 plotlines revolving around the assimilation of the freighter people into our survivors, John Locke's journey off the island, the return of the O6, and the time travel stories have all come to a close. The producers created a truly great transition segment of three episodes, and each was superb.

A Sawyer episode on LOST has been long-overdue, and Josh Holloway certainly delivered in this installment. Jeremy Davies and Elizabeth Mitchell were also great, and Daniel Dae Kim doesn't get much attention as Jin, but he was fantastic in the later Dharma days, picking up on English and showing the consistency of his character over time.

The conversation with Richard was very well done, and truly shows how far the series has come. Richard has always been the all-knowing source of knowledge for our survivors, but it's interesting to see the tables turned. It's nice to see how the show will return to a traditional flashback format (most probably) after this week, with seasons 4 and 5 being a definite change of pace. The time travel stories were great, but were starting to make my head spin. The Dharma story for the rest of the season has a lot of potential to answer some of the bigger mysteries of the show, and I look forward to seeing our people's interactions with young Ben, Marvin Candle, and more of Horace. Definitely DEFINITELY a series classic.
  • Sawyer and the other survivors reside in the year 1974. They have to perpetuate a lie, so they can live in the Dharma Initiative now. They build themselves a nice life. 3 years later Jack, Kate and Hurley are back on the island.

What I really liked about this episode was that it was so calm. The previous episodes where thrilling and great but I needed a liitle rest now. It was so lovely to see how the Dharma Initiative lives as big happy family. Also great to see Jin speaking English. Yeay, no subtitles anymore. I was kinda shocked when I saw Juliet and James together as a couple. I didn't see that coming. Maybe because I liked Kate and him together so much but we'll see. And his look when Jack, Hurley and Kate are back promises a lot of drama. Will he still be Jimi LaFleur living a happy life with Juliet or will he be Sawyer again?

As we can see back in the 70ies women were able to have babys. But can't they later anymore? Maybe because of that incident with the Swan station? And what happened to Daniel??

A lot of quetions. I hope they'll be answered soon. Great episode! Josh Holloway is an awesome actor! But LaFleur is a daft name.

P.S.: Please don't mind if I made some mistakes. I'm from Germany so English is not my first language.
  • Another outstanding episode.

Wow. LOST is getting ready for its final season next season and this episode is like a connecing episode to the rest of the series. In this great Sawyer centric episode he has to make up a lie to protect the survivors on the island and the oceanic 6 that returned in this episode to the island. So anyways, there is a submarine coming to island with new recruits so Sawyer says that he will take the oceanic 6 into the Dharma and act like they came from the submarine and that he and Juliet will take care of their names being on the list. A great episode!
  • A kinder gentler Sawyer.

This episode features Sawyer (Jim LaFluer). They encounter the Dharma Initiative and Sawyer lies about who he his to keep his people there and safe. In the beginning of the episode is at the time when John had gone down the well and time shifted and the well disappeared. Sawyer and his group are heading toward the beach when they hear the scream of a woman. She is about to be killed and they save her. She leads them back to the camp of the Dharma Initiative.

This episode goes back and forth in time by 3 years to illustrate how Sawyer used his conning skills to keep them there and how they have survived for 3 years.

During the episode Richard enters the Dharma camp and Sawyer talks to him telling him things that had happened in the past and the truce is maintained between Dharma and the others.

The episodes in Season 5 keep getting better and better. This one was great.
  • what an breath taking epoide !

oh god ! what else can i say ! words dont describe it at all no matter what ! i love it in every way ( the drama , the romance , the thiller and the Suprisess ) . In this great Sawyer centric episode it make sawyer really reallly a perfact perfomance never thought he's ganna play it so well ! . Daniel is back , he is more crazy than he was... , Sawyer is with Juliet that was really suprise . and yeah sawyer was so touching ! when he said i dont even remember her FACE ! . P.S : this season is going to GOOD , hope it's contuino like this the whole season to win an EMMY !
  • It wasn´t a top Lost episode, but it is very entertaining and it is very hard not to be interested in Sawyer flashbacks which was the highlights of this episode. The present scenes was only presentations and setups.

Plot Details/Objective -» The 2 previous episodes didn´t show us what happened with Sawyer, Juliet, Miles, Jin and Dan, this was done in purpose, since the introductory arc is suppose to be slower and address one situation in each episode. We already know how the Oceanic Six or five came back, How Locke died before he tried to convince Jack and Co to come back, now was time to know what happened in the Island. The writers had material to structure more than one episode about what and where Sawyer did/was 3 years with the Dharma Initiative. But they decided to make only episode, which is fine by me, since it is better this way.

What I Like/Disliked -» I liked almost all scenes, like the previous episode, we have a complete storyline (presentation, setup, complication phase, climax and the ending).

Overall:

Presentation -» (9/10). Exactly the kind of presentation that Lost know to make, a nice surprise. The presentation about Jim Le Fleur, Juliet and Miles in the present was not anything special, but necessary I think.

Complication Phase -» (9/10). The setup for the complication phase was nicely done, when Sawyer and Juliet decided to help some woman that belongs to the Dharma Initiative. Was nice to see the consequences, which add the necessary tension when Sawyer was caught and when he had to talk to Richard to solve their problem and keep the peace.

Climax -» (8,5/10). Maybe when he talked to Richard, this was nicely done.

Cliffhanger/Ending -» (9/10). Sawyer conversation with Juliet was superb, this is way the ending means something, this is way Sawyer had a conversation where he says that 3 years is enough to forget someone and then Kate is back to the Island. Time and Scenes Management -» (8/10). A Drunk Horace storyline seemed to me like a filler, at least, the pregnant woman didn´t die, so something happened to the Island, to make the pregnant woman die in the last seasons.

Dialogues -» (9/10). Great dialogues there.

Action /Adventure -» (9/10). This little adventure that Sawyer and Juliet made in the past was interesting.

Drama/Emotions -» (7/10). Nothing from the top, just minor drama.

Suspense/Tension -» (9/10). We had nice tension in 3 scenes in the flashbacks.

Surprise/Twists -» (8/10). Juliet and Sawyer are together, and their belong to the Dharma Initiative, with Jin and Miles too.

• First Sawyer centric ep after a while

Lost
    Season 5
    Episode 8: LaFleur
    As Time Travelling finally stops, Sawyer, Juliet, Daniel and Miles join the Dharma Initiative. Sawyer becomes the head of security under the name of Jim LaFleur.

This was a great episode. The first Sawyer centric since Season 3's Every Man for Himself. It is the first episode to feature the Dharma Initiative and how Sawyer, Juliet, Miles and Daniel joined them. It's also the first one featuring Sawyer and Juliet on a relationship. It also features the end of Time Travelling. I rlly liked this episode, was rlly great and awesome. Terrific one. It features the Dharma, which became a rlly awesome factor of the season.
  • The first Sawyer-centric episode since the early hours of season three and it's an absolute beaut.

The first Sawyer-centric episode since the early hours of season three and it's an absolute beaut. While 'LeFleur' is hardly revelation or action heavy, it still manages to hold its head up with the big boys thanks to Josh Holloway's tour de force in the lead role. He's fantastic here, expertly demonstrating James' transformation from wandering miscreant to cool-headed hub of the DHARMA community and making it all seem entirely logical. The dual 1974-1977 time structure could easily have produced some ham fisted developments in the hands of a lesser crew, but here the viewer buys every change, not the least of which is Sawyer and Juliet's budding romance which seems so obvious now that we begin to question why we never thought about it before. While the ending is hardly a shocker, 'LeFleur' is less about dramatic upturns and more about repositioning, laying the groundwork for Lost's trajectory in the remainder of season five and at that, it succeeds admirably. Oh, and did you all spot the back of the four-toed statue? Looks rather Egyptian to me...
  • LaFleur Review

This new episode was slower than the last few but slow sometimes is a good thing and in this case it is a good thing. first off the episode started with a great scene where we finally see the Four Toed Statue (from behind but who cares we still saw it for a second but Sawyer and Co. go through time instantly and we don't see it again, I really want to know what year they where in when the statue was standing and who are the people who made it, The statue looked slightly native but something tells me its something else because remember it had four toes and who's to say that this is the same statue as the Four Toed one. This was the first Sawyer Centric episode since early season 3 and it was long overdue, through flashbacks the story of how Sawyer, Juliet, Jin etc. meet up with the Dharma Initiative and how they are accepted into the Dharma well sort of all we got was that they where with them for another two weeks. It was great to see Horace again and I was surprised to see he was leading the Dharma. There was a lot of Skate stuff here with Sawyer getting over Kate and falling in love with Juliet which was strange to see but I think I always knew that they would get together one was or the other. The final scene was great and it left me wanting to know what happens next with Kate returning will Sawyer be with here or Juliet. The thing is Lost isn't on next week so we have two wait two weeks to see what happens.

LaFleur was a strong episode with plenty of character development and some answers. It is very refreshing to have some great episodes like the early seasons of Lost the last three episodes have been superb.

9 out of 10.
  • I don't think this episode is perfect but is very, very good,

I don't think this episode is perfect but is very, very good, give us some details of what is happenig to our favorite charaters, also Sawyer is using his con abilities once again to keep the guys alive, bottom line the episode is a fine episode and a good installment, they still need to explain what is that giant statue and why is there but I guess that will be coming up on the next few episodes!

on the last line all I have to say is Lost is getting even better with each episode and that is one of the reasons why we love it!
  • We discover what happens to those left on the island and what theyve been up to while waiting for Locke to bring the rest back.

I have to admit that when I saw Jin at the end of Season 5 Episode 6 "316", I was able to guess the whole "stuck in the 70's" theory. Even though I saw it coming, however, I thought the episode was very well done and I loved how it revolved around Sawyer.
    I feel like Sawyer and Juliet are a good couple. It doesn't feel forced but actually quite natural. My only real gripe with the episode is that they didnt really do much with the "3 years later" Jin, who can speak English perfectly. I hope that they develop his character a bit more. Now that he can speak english, hopefully the writers will take this chance to develop his character a bit and let us see a bit more of his personality.
  • Very exciting

I love the new pace of Lost, it really feels like we're getting somewhere this season. And I like that Sawyer and Juliet finally got together, I really hope he doesn't start drooling over Kate again. You can say whatever about the Kate - Jack - Sawyer triangle, but it does seem like Kate and Jack are happy and Juliet and Sawyer are happy, so why ruin it?! Also, Juliet is a very attractive and smart woman, why should she be considered anything less than Kate, I think it's unfair that all the blokes want Kate over Juliet. Please keep the love-story dramas to a minimum and just move on with the story...
  • It's 1974.

Damn, ABC is really intent on having a show that is set in the 1970's. Just days after Life on Mars was canceled it looks like Lost is going to be in the decade for at least the remainder of the season.

This episode wasn't bad, it was adventurous, but a lot of it was really unnecessary. I do not like the new characters at all, and I just don't like how the time travel ended.

Where are the rest of the survivors? Why did everybody have to come back? These are questions that need to be addressed immediately or you're going to lose a lot of viewers.
  • Yay the Statue! And then... NOO!!! Not Juliet-Sawyer!!! NOO!!!

Well I will start from the good side: we finally saw the statue. It was very interesting, beautiful and enormous. I was really hoping for at least a small glimpse at it and I got it.

But OH MY GOD! How could the writers do this?? Why couldn't they just leave the relationships as they were?? I already faced the fact that Juliet will not be with Jack, but PLEASE! Anything but this! So now what? I am 100% sure that the writers will just kill her off in the nearest episodes so that the LOVE triangle can continue....TRIANGLE MY A**... And so another great character is beeing destroyed weee. I "LOVE" LOST so much!

I am very sorry for my anger - this episode was indeed very good, but even the thought of this killed this episode...
1 2 >