Lost

Lighthouse

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Feb 23, 2010 on ABC

• More Shephard faimly Drama!

Ok now while I find this alternate time line or as most fan's call them "Flash Sideways", to be confusing and a waste of space, this episode really showed the up's of this.
    I thought at first that these Flash Sideways were just to show the audiance how much the charecters lives would suck if they didn't crash on the island, But it also stands to reason that other things in their lives would be differnt do to the whole time line ripple effect that we've seen in so many time travel movies. But here we get a big change as well as some charecter development which is common among charectersaproching the series final.

This is a Jack centric episode, but we seethe whole Shephard family playing big roles in this episode, on the island and in the Flash Sideways as well.

I'll start with Claire Littleton who we haven't seen for a whole season (not even in Flash backs), and to sum up whats happen to her infew words. "SHE CRAZY" and a threat to the Others and survivors (Espeacially Kaite). but I got say she plays a great psyco and it's interesting to see her as the polar opposite as her usual charecter role (the sweet young Austrailan mother). This also makes me want to see a Jack Claire sibbling moment (Of course I've been wanting that since season 3).

Hurrly convices Jack to leave the creepy Other temple and go to this lighthouse that they never knew was on the island which is conviently close to their camp bythe cave.
    The lighthouse has a wheel with names and numbers, Jack finds his name and spins the wheel and see's the house he grew up in, this causes him to freak out (a normal reaction to learning someone's been watching you years since you were a kid) and Jack Bracks the lighthouse. This is what Jackob wanted so that Jack can start realizing that he has purpose. (Also the Other's Temple is about to be under attack and Jackeob didn't want Jack and Hugo to die)

In the flash sidways, we find out that Jack had a Teenaged son named DAVID SHEPHARD in this alternate reality. now i know Jack was married at one point but given Davids age I don't think it was with that women.
    The Shephard family (minus Claire) are dealing with the after math of Christan Shephard's Funneral (that was without Christan's body) Jack and his mom look for his will and they disscus the "father son Shephard relationship curse" that he and David are going throw, just like what Jack and his father Christian went throw and what Christian and Ray went throw.
    They find the will and Claire Littleton is mettioned, this forshadows a metting between the two in another Flash Sideways, one i look farward to (altough Jack's mom may not)

when Jack comes home he find's Daivd is gone so Jack serches for him frantecly. his search leads him to Daivd school where he is preforming in the auditorium for a piano resital, Which he did not tell his dad about.
    Jack confrots David as leaves the school and have a heart to heart talk. According to Jack, David stopped playing the piano after he and wife divorced but David continued to practice but made his mom sware not to tell his dad, the reason for this is not because he thought he dad would disapprove of his hobbie but rather David was afraid of failing or disapointing his father because he couldn't play a song right.

Jack Tell's David that in his eye's he could never fail, they have moment then drive home breaking the father son Shephard relationship curse.

This is one of those last season episodes that make you think back to the first season and see the main charecters (that are still in the show) over come their personal deamons and progress. Jack's main demon has been his own father and struggling with making the right choices and making apemds for his mistakes. This episode truly show's Jack's Resolve, now the island has it's leader back!

• Jack is not boring!

It's sad to see that many Lost fans can't appreciate Jack's importance to the show, and only find flashbacks (forward or sideways) interesting if there is an action plot going on. Sure, when we visit Jack off the island, he's not shooting people like Sayid does or running away like Kate, or conning people like Sawyer, or even eating cursed chicken like Hugo might. No, Jack's episodes are realist in orientation, and often deal with dramatic situations based on family dysfunction (father/son). But why is that boring? It's not. In fact, Jack's father/son related flashes are pivotal to understanding the driving theme of Lost -- moving on from the past, moving away from those who were most responsible for creating your identity and the issues that surround that identity. Jack's flashes help to ground Lost again and again in the real world, reminding us of the relevance of the more extreme characters and their problems, e.g., Kate and Sawyer. Now onto this particular episode: the sideways world is showing us a character arc where Jack was able to overcome his father issues via his own relationship with his son. And as is usually the case so far this season, some really great emotional resonance is created from the parallel narrative. I loved it!
  • Jack Deliver ! ..

Yea right Jack finally deliver his best performance of the show ! season 3 episode 22-23 ( Looking Glass ) . his acting where he listen to his son voice machine was one of the best in like 30 Sec and that 30 sec will make win a nomination for him at the Emmy ! that's for sure . and lighthouse scene was really amazing i felt the anger inside me . Hurley also deliver one of the best awesomeness lines and acting , and he will be BIG at the finale . Claire and "The Friend" WTF ! John , it's really shocked me , i thought the friend is Chriatin Ghost ! . i just can't wait to see who's coming , what will happened to The Temple ,
    what Claire will do to Kate if she sees her and what Fake-Locke will do ! . 10/10 ..
  • What the? Jack has weekend custody of a teenage son in 2004?? How did that get missed in the past 5 yrs? Where was "David" when Jack returned to LA (Oceanic 6) the first time?

A Jack and Hurley episode, the writers always give the big man the good lines and his laconic delivery delivers the goods. Some of the stuff on this episode were a little over the top. When I saw the lighthouse I said to co-watcher, "How come we never saw that before?" and sure enough Jack asks the same thing. Good question, bad answer. A bit more continuity wouldn't hurt and leaving everything to the magic of the island is a cheat. A nutso Claire returns, funny she doesn't compliment Jin on his good English 3 yrs later. Jack and Kate meeting by the stream was like a couple of old friends bumping into each other on the sidewalk downtown. That whole David Shepherd thing is too much new plot to introduce 5/6 of the way into the story.
  • Jack and Hurley find a special lighthouse on the Island; Claire shows her crazy side to Jin (and her squirrel bone baby); in the flash-sideways, Jack struggles to repair his relationship with his son, David.

This episode was not the best episode of Lost, but certainly not the worst. The highlight, by far, was seeing Claire in action once again. Emilie de Ravin is doing a great job of portraying this new, crazy Claire. She literally stuck an axe into a man's gut! It was really unexpected and so out of character for the Claire we remember from the first four seasons of the series. It is clear that this new, revamped Claire is a lot more dangerous than ever before.

Matthew Fox kind of impressed me in the flash-sideways scenes. He's a good actor. Unfortunately, his on-Island storyline was not as exciting as I had hoped. First of all, it seemed weird to me that he and Hurley would leave the Temple without taking both Sayid and Miles with them. I understand it was necessary for storyline purposes, but it still seemed unusual. Oh well, I will not nitpick that development to death.

Things are interesting, and there are not a lot of mysteries for the writers to explore throughout the rest of the season. I am eager to see how things unfold, especially since the finality of this season seems to be bringing out the best of all actors involved.
  • Another lengthy analysis with a ton of spoilers.. fortunately, the episode deserves it.

After the superb episode last week, Lost returns with an equally powerful, although very different episode. One thing I've noticed so far is that the action hasn't been quite at the forefront of the show like previous seasons, although the dialogue among characters and the development of each person has been superb. Not since Season 1 have we had such great interactions between characters. And I'll tell you right now, I'm sure we'll have plenty of action to go around in the upcoming episodes, but for now, I'm really liking this season. Every episode feels as if a twist could occur at any moment.

Although I haven't been the biggest fan of these sideways universe scenes, this was probably the best one so far. I've always thought that Matthew Fox played Jack perfectly and that he was underrated when placed next to Michael Emerson and the other excellent supporting cast. However, he really stole the show in this episode. He had the perfect balance of emotion and anger. And the sideways universe continues to show its odd connections to the stuff going on on the Island, including a surprise appearence by Dogen, and his appendix scar from the Island.. his mother tells me he got it when he was seven, but something tells me Jack suspects otherwise. And as for a son? A very interesting twist, which paid off in terms of acting. This allowed us to see the fatherly side of Jack, which was very different from Jack the Leader from earlier seasons. And as for Jack's scene in the cave? That just might be one of my favorite scenes from the last few seasons. It's the first time Jack's mentioned to anyone that he chased his dad around the island since he kind of told Locke in the fifth episode of the show.

Anybody who thought it was stupid of the showrunners to kill off Jacob after only appearing in the Season 5 finale must be cheering pretty loud at the way they've brought him back. We've known for awhile that Hurley can see dead people, but besides seeing Charlie that one time at the asylum, we've never really seen him interacting with anyone else (I could be mistaken of course, so correct me if I'm wrong). The interactions between Hurley and Jacob are incredible, and it really makes me feel as if Hurley will have a massive role in the upcoming episodes. Hurley also had the line of the night when he said to Dogen in a defiant manner: "Why don't YOU go back to the courtyard." Perfect comedic timing. Add that with the tic-tac-toe that Miles and him played at the beginning of the episode, and you have one series of funny events from Hurley.

Hurley, Jacob and Jack's plot eventually leads them to the eponymous lighthouse, where they find a series of mirrors at the top and a dial with names written to each degree mark. What numbers, you ask? Why, the numbers that have been peeking their head in and out of the show since the first season! Jack finds his name next to the 23 degree mark, turns to the beacon to it and finds himself staring into a mirror that shows his childhood home. From the looks of it, it seems Jacob has been watching the survivors since they were young from this lighthouse. Wow. That's what I said when I saw these scenes, and anybody who's been craving some answers from the show got a little taste of what answers we may be getting soon enough. Sure, there's still a LOT of questions hanging around, and there's probably a few more added, but I think anyone who worries about questions still being presented at this point should let the show pan out, because I'm sure we'll get plenty of answers before the show is done.

Claire was creepy as hell. I'll just come out and say it. The entire time she was on the show, she exuded this eerie attitude. When she was grinding that axe, I wasn't thinking about anything except, "She's going to chop off Jin's foot." Of course, that doesn't happen, but it's not a good thing for her character that I wouldn't have been surprised if it happened. And seeing Jin's face as he blatently lied to Claire's face about Aaron? That shows just how afraid he is of her. And of course, Lost wouldn't be Lost if we didn't have a good cliffhanger ending, and the Man in Black/Fake Locke pokes his head in right at the end, as Claire announces him as her "friend" to Jin. Anyone hoping a good version of Claire would return might have to reassess their wishes.

This was a complex episode, filled with a lot of tension, some great talking scenes between characters and some hinting at some awful things to come very soon at the Temple. Jacob clearly knows that something bad is going to happen at the Temple, which makes it more understandable why he sent them away on that errand. He knew that they would probably fail.. the fact that they were out of the Temple is what mattered the most, which makes me worry for Sayid and Miles. Hopefully, next week will keep the story moving along without slowing it down. Best episode, for me, since the premiere.
  • Episode started off slow, but picked up big time!

I'm beginning to agree with most everyone in that the off island stories are detracting from the S6 eps...but that is more than likely we dont know yet how that timeline fits in with the on island goings on. Once we reach the end of the season (and alas, the show itself) I would not be surprised if we have to revisit our Tivos or patiently await the DVDs to go back to the off island scenes (as compared to "back to the island") to pay more attention to these scenes to see how they add up to the ultimate conclusion that I am still confident will be one of the best ever in TV history.

In this episode, the scene at the lighthouse and Jacobs "explanation" more than made up for the off island Jack story and even the on island Claire/Jin story which I felt dragged on. We know where Aaron is so spending half the ep having claire make a big deal of it seemed pointless. THAT is why fans enjoy the suspense and the questions, if too much time is spent on something we already know, it gets stale. The ending was unexpected, and made up for the stale Claire/ Jin scenes as well.
  • One of the best episodes along with last week...this is exactly why I watch this show, AMAZING character moments and thrilling mystery...

This episode was incredibly moving, one of the funniest ever due to Hurley's awesomeness, and moved the story along in revealing ways. I loved how Jack's sideways story showed a character who is inching forward towards redemption a few steps forward and then a couple back. Writing a real hero with all the damage and scars required to be believable is no small achievement, and is at the heart of what makes this episode so special.

Claire is obviously not who she was and it appears that Not-Lock is controlling her as well. Whether or not Claire is actually still alive or a mirror image that the man in black is manipulating remains to be seen...

Finally, at the lighthouse Jacob reappeared and he really does seem like the force of good on the Island...an epic battle is brewing and Jacob's need to get Jack and Hurley away from the Temple points to a blood bath to come...I'm on the edge of my seat!
  • One great episode. and once again like on season 1, it answers 2 or 3 of our questions.. but leaves room for a ton of questions for the upcoming episodes.

What a great episode don't you think? I feel back at season 1 wanting to know more about the island and its secrets.
    We now get to see the dark side of Claire, wanting to know where is her son.
    We know that Kate took him with her but she didn't, but there is something else... some dark side of her still not yet fully revealed.

On the other side we already knew that all the "candidates" were being watched by Jacob and its counterpart but, we didn't knew how, i thing todays episode gave us just a glimpse of how they did their watching and scouting.

but this gives us a hole set of new questions:

What will happen when Kate find Claire?
    Why did Jacob Wanted Hugo and Jack out of the temple?
    What is that "darkness" inside Claire and probably Sayd?

I can't wait for the next episode!

Thanks for reading!
  • Best episode of the season! Twists and turns in the final season with more Questions than Answers?

Lost has gone on for the past 5 seasons and is easily one of the most memorable dramas ever created, rather than getting greedy the creators have made a last season which is good right? I mean it can't go on forever! Some of the episodes like ''What Kate Did'' and the one after that where in my opinion not the best, but this episode i just saw was really fantastic in my opinion. Some of it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever but thats pretty much the beauty of the show!

This episode was what you saw when Claire found Jin in the jungle and what Jacob Told Hurley to go with Jack to a mysterious ''Lighthouse'' that had never been featured in any other seasons, the flash Backs or Flash Forwards? I don't no... Of Jack's life after he ''Landed in Sydney'' in 2004 seeing things like his mother, son etc etc. They were very Enjoyably to watch and i really liked the whole Episode. The ending was even better! I can already see that something will be erupting and hopefully something good! Epic Cliffhanger in an EPIC episode!
  • Lighthouse,Hurley,Claire and MORE JACOB == too much EPIC-NESS

Im still speechless after last night thrilling episode, but Ill try to cover up all the amazing things that happenede. First Someone is Coming to the island and Hurley ( a candidate) is the one that will help to bring that person... how?? The Lighthouse is the answer.
    After that scene where Jacob tell this to Hurley I knew that this was going to be one heck of an episode full of excitement and more mysteries!

first I thought Desmond or Charles... but then I really think is Desmond but I dont know...

Hurley convinces Jack to go with him to the Lighthouse they found Kate in their way, but she says she will go to the temple to find out about claire's location. Then they found the Lighthouse (after of course running with Season 1 "Adam and Eve" cadavers )with connections with the Numbers, their names and some mirrors that allow you to see something about each number or person.

Jack in his confusion and determination of getting answers Crashes the mirrors Nooooo I was screaming at my TV when I saw this now how can "that person" comes to the island. For my relief Jacob reappears at the end of the episode saying that there are other ways to help that person comes and that Hurley and Jack Cant go to the temple (stay away as far as they can) because someone reaaaaally bad is going there!

Who is that reaaaally bad person? well to answer that we go to the other side of the island where Jin is in Claire's camp. Claire is acting different she seems crazy and somehow being controlled. She is looking for Aaron and she thinks the others have it. Claire says to Jin that her Father and than A "Friend" both told her that the others have it. Ok we know this is a lie. So C.Sheppard all this time has been the bad guy? probably the Smoke monster before taking over Locke's body (copy of the body)?

After Killing drastically one of the others Jin in order to protect himself from Crazy Claire tells her that Aaron is at the temple and that he can take her... but not only he will take her but he will take her friend WHICH at the end of the episode enters the tent revealing; John Locke. OMG! Before writing a summary of my review I must say something about the Jack's Flash Sideway. Very Emotional, He has a son : David, he has his appendix taken, his wife is dead or left him, and his father is dead. C.Sheppard mentions Claire in his testament. At the end of the episode we see their problems solving and the appearance of the Chinese dude at the auditions ( i must really learn his name). How the Flashways will connect with the island? Check out my theory on my other reviews for the full theory on this.

Summary: Jin is taking Claire and probably Locke along with Sawyer to the temple! We know that Locke is controlling Claire she is supposedly infected. I wonder if she has a Cure. Locke cant enter the temple but maybe Claire can.
    Sun is heading to the Temple with Ilana, Ben and Lapidus to reunite with Jin.
    Kate is also going to the temple to find out about Claires location.
    Jack and Hurley are staying away from the temple.
    Sayid (infected) and Miles are with the Others at the Temple.
    The Temple= War between Good VS Evil
    thanks for reading
  • Lighthouse

After a pretty disappointing episode last week (a lot of people loved it, I was not in that group) we got a very good Jack-centric episode tonight. The episode delved into a rarely discussed topic on the show about Jack's son, and led to some good exchanges there (even though it is well beneath him I'd love to see Matthew Fox as a sitcom dad.)

The stuff with Claire, Jin and the captured guard was fun while it lasted too. And I didn't see "Locke" being the friend either, so that was a nice twist.

I really hope we get some answers soon though as I fear it will be impossible to explain everything in the season finale without a narrating just reciting 20 pages of dialect.
  • Like father, like son.

As Hugo takes Jack with him after reasserting his own authority at the Temple - he would make a great substitute by the way - Jack himself gets late to pick up David, his first born, in the mainland. As upset as Jack has been because of his father, hints that David may be just as upset when it comes to him baffles him as much as his very existance baffles an audience that didn't know Jack was a father.

The Lighthouse where Hurley leads them turns out to be the place where Jacob spot bits of the candidates's lives in the hopes to lure them to the island, but no matter how much Hurley assures Jack that he has what it takes, or Dogen acknowledges there's something protecting them both, Jack turns out to be the dissapointment for Jacob that he's never been to his own father, as he wrecks the machine before it reaches the 108º angle needed to acomplish their mission.

As Claire sheds blood yet again, Kate keeps looking for her and Jin keeps looking for his wife, back in the mainland, Jack stumbles with the parent Dogen would've been before he finds his son; as David explains him that the reason why he didn't want him to know that he continued to play piano was because he didn't want to disappoint his father in case he fails, Jack assures his son that he could never be a dissapointment for him. See, he learnt that once ...from his father.
  • Another cracker

Last week's episode was very good and this one continued that trend. We got to see yet again how drastically the bomb has changed everybody's lives. Jack ends up with a son which continued the trend of the bomb either having a positive or negative effect on those concerned.

For example, Hurley - positive, he is now comfortable with his wealth.

Jack - positive, he has a son.

Kate - negative, she was still being transported back to America charged with murder.

Locke - positive, he is with Ellen (and no longer dead!).

etc.

Note that candidate's have received positive changes to their lives however Kate who isn't one remained the way she was. This must be important.

Also, a number of reviews have been done all with no mention of the fact that the 108 degrees that Hurley needed to move the light is the numbers added up 4+8+15+16+23+42=108. This also has to be important, and is I think another sign that not all answers will be specifically pointed out, some will be left for the viewer to come to their own conclusions.

I am looking forward to what happens when Claire gets to the temple, I'm thinking Jacob moved the candidates to protect them and show them the lighthouse at the same time and now Claire is going to go back and try and wipe everyone out. The stuff about getting someone to the island seems to be a ruse to protect candidates from 'Locke' (ie the smoke monster) who has infected Claire and is now using her to wipe out everyone at the temple.

Roll on next week.
  • Another Great Installment; Redemption?

"Lighthouse" will go down as another great episode in the LOST cannon. "Besides Man of Science, Man of Faith" (and "Through the Looking Glass" if you want to be unfair and compare it to a season finale) it's arguably the best Jack-centric episode to date.

All three story threads worked for me. The Jack and Hurley thread is reminiscent of the greatness of the show that held us spellbound the first two seasons. It had great pacing, good dialogue between characters, heart-warming moments, comic moments (mostly thanks to Hurley who has formed a new comic duo with Jacob), emotional moments, and great mythology reveals that are similar to last week's "The Substitute" in format and timing. And lets be realistic: the Lighthouse is an ingenious, creative idea by the LOST writers and is another reason why I believe the creativity of this show will be hard to match or surpass on television after the series' final hour. I was totally awe-struck when the Lighthouse mirrors started displaying images of the candidates' past when the dial hit their degrees.

The Claire and Jin thread was a great surprise and the new, dark Claire has done wonders for the character while also allowing Emile de Ravin to show off some acting chops that we had not been familiar with in the first four seasons. In other words, de Ravin was horrifyingly good! Daniel Dae Kim was also very convincing as the frightened out of his mind of this crazy chick with the axe, yet concerned "friend". This thread had a horror/slasher movie feel to it and is further evidence of how well this show can pull off so many moods and genres from episode to episode. From the axe wielding Claire finding a new home for her axe in the Other (Justin's) stomach, to Jin's horrified lying, to the Man In Black coming into the tent and giving that creepy smile(by the way who saw the "Claire's friend is the MIB?!" moment coming?) this thread added a great dimension to the episode.

Finally, and probably most importantly, we see another great alt/parallel story thread this time with Jack and his son (that's right SON) David. Hmm...Wasn't King David a shepherd in the Bible before he became king? Even though I don't even know if his last name is really Shephard, just throwing that out there. But this story has many similarities to the first two in "What Kate Does" and "The Substitute". 1) The leading character, Jack, finds himself looking at a mirror reflection, and if you haven't noticed yet mirror reflections is a major motif for the show this season. 2) Something drastic has changed from the original timeline: Jack has a son. 3) At the end of the episode Jack gets a chance at redemption in telling his son that he does not have to be afraid of him because in his eyes "[he] could never fail". This rung so true for Jack who has been driven by not living up to his father's expectations the whole series. He finally got to be the father he knew his father should have been to him. This redemptive moment resembles John's where he finally accepts who he is and what he CAN do while keeping the woman he loves and Kate who gives a helping hand to the mother-to-be Claire and convinces her that she should keep her baby Aaron. The more and more parallel timeline stories that are shown give me the impression that these moments will be the best redemptive moments possible for these characters. They just fit in so well with what has been ailing these characters for so long, and they give me the feeling that the On-Island redemption moments in the end may be as sweet but won't be as happy.

But that's enough to chew on for a while now. Next week's episode should be just as good as this season continues to pick up steam.
  • Jack-centric episode reveals that flash-sideways is definitely NOT an alternate reality.

Jack-centric episode reveals that flash-sideways is definitely NOT an alternate reality. We see that Jack doesn't remember when his appendix was taken out, which gives us clues to whether there is a link between the two timeline. Perhaps this is why Juliet stated that "it worked" because was unconscious for a while and may have crossed over.

Jack has a son: David, who is quite a pianist, which is linked to Kendo's own son (who is Japanese, not Chinese per other reviews). Jack (flash-sideways) found out that there is a woman in his father's will, a Claire! Perhaps this will lead to yet another confrontation between Claire and Jack. Does anyone remember what hospital she's at?? Is it the same one Jack works in?

The lighthouse shows the Jack we know as compulsive and illogical because he crashed all the mirrors... why can't he do that AFTER moving the mirrors to 108 degree and see what the heck is over at 108.

As Hurley rotate the mirrors, we noticed a nice Korean temple or building, this may give hint to which Kwon is the candidate. I fear the worst for Miles. His storyline seems to be low key and has finally reduced to just playing tic-tac-toe with Hurley. Perhaps he could have talk to the Adam and Eve corpses if he were to tag along. Perhaps he will be the first to die this season??

Claire is "sick" and looking for her son, and the answer she seeks for may be finally revealed if she runs into Kate. Claire stated that her father and her friend (who turned out to be John Locke) both told her things. This mean that her father might be another figure... or the same figure as the smoke monster.

The build up is suspenseful. I want to see Claire/John Locke/Sawyer/Jin get to the temple for a nice confrontation. Sayid and the rest of the people will be waiting.

Where is Jacob taking Hurley and Jack now? They can't go back to the temple so maybe they will head out to somewhere interesting... I can't wait for next week's episode
  • Though this ep. had twists and turns it still was a bit predictable.

I knew from the preview clips Jacks flash sideways story wouldnt have much to offer much like the rest of the casts flash's. Though Locke's was O.K. I just wish they'd either tell us how this boring alt. rewind reality plays in to the island stories. At this point I'm getting pretty tired of this format. I stopped watching Lost faithfully after season 4 concluded. But after hearing sn. 6 was the last I jumped on getting caught up w/ sn. 5 But these first few eps. of sn.6 have been a let down I honestly preferred the time traveling stories. All I do know is that the island stories should be thier only focus at this point, It's also predicttable when they kill off all the brown people, or leave them crippled for the rest of the show w/ crazy people. Not sure if I like Claire's new direction, but I'll give Lost just one more wk. to get to the level of quality of the prev. seasons or I'm voting myself off the island until the dvd release. P.S. I'll only tune back in if I hear the series finale was amazing as it should be! IN that case I'll buy seasons 1,2,5,6....used and watch it in a row.
  • 'Lighthouse' is something of a curious beast.

'Lighthouse' is something of a curious beast. On the one hand, Lindelof and Cuse's script has the same qualities as last week's stupendous 'The Substitute', maintaining steady momentum through the interweaving of intriguingly oblique and dramatically engaging narrative strands, However, on the other, it seems to falter occasionally, testing the viewer's patience somewhat by resorting to a number of tried, tested and rather transparent tricks that serve only to prolong the inevitable, to stall the progression of the arc plot. After six years, we've become rather accustomed to the producers' admittedly salient methods and in the absence of something especially unique, it becomes easy to drift and to feel frustrated with the inherent nature of what we're given. The worst offender, it seems, is the flash sideways. Now, I will profess to being slightly biased against Mr. Shephard's stories, given that he's one of the least interesting characters on the show (I know, I know, scream "blasphemer!" all you like, but come on... he's no Locke is he?!), but even Matthew Fox has had his moments of brilliance. Sadly, 'Lighthouse's B-story isn't one of them; giving the guy a son is a very nice idea, and there are some hints at a more intriguing slant to the purpose of these strands (Jack doesn't remember having his appendix removed, despite it happening when he was seven, which seems to suggest a possible 'course correction' or change in history that he is not completely disassociated from), but unfortunately, very little is done with the story that is actually of much interest. The teleology is decidedly predictable - it's patently obvious from the moment that Jack's son starts ignoring him that a moral lesson will be learned by both parties within the course of the hour and that they'll reconcile, which robs the narrative of its lustre, making the denouement a foregone conclusion and exposing the transparency of the plot structure. It's also rather indicative of the 'neat and tidy' approach to storytelling in conventional television drama, wherein it is perceived that equilibrium must be restored within one sitting in order for the viewing audience to feel some sense of satisfaction. Lost is not normally guilty of this as consequence is a significant feature of the ongoing story, but here it feels too compact, tied into a neat little bow simply because there was a requirement to pad out the script. Admittedly, there are some well-executed moments within the strand, most notable of which is Jack's desperate attempt to find David, coming across his voicemail message while in the boy's room, but they are insufficient to make the whole thing truly memorable or engaging. The problems are less significant on-Island but nevertheless, occasional lapses remain. The issue centres mostly on Hurley and Jack's sojourn to the lighthouse which is prolonged substantially through the episode's mid-section. At the end of the first act, it becomes clear that they are heading somewhere, but the destination is not reached until part-way through the third. This is not objectionable in itself but the interim sequences do not contain enough weight to distract the viewer from the fact that the plot is being stretched out over an unnecessarily lengthy period. The 'journey' scenes even seem to highlight the fact that they are somewhat extraneous: Lindelof and Cuse give Hurley dialogue along the lines of "this feels like the old days, you and me heading somewhere that we don't know for a reason we don't understand" which, instead of seeming like a pleasingly self-referential nod to the audience, actually just exposes its immaterial nature. There are further attempts at this sort of metatextual self-reflexivity: when Jack asks why they haven't seen the lighthouse before, Hurley responds that 'we weren't looking for it', which feels like a rather convenient excuse. Hurley also suggests that the skeletons in the caves that the Losties lived in during season one could be them, having travelled back in time and remained stuck there. This is a theory suggested by many within the fan community and, intriguingly, it isn't quashed here, but the inclusion does not feel at all organic. This reads like the grafted on wink to fandom that it is, coming completely out of nowhere and seeming rather superfluous to the story. It's there for its own sake, essentially, and sadly, comes across awkwardly. Coupled with the rather underwhelming flash sideways, these moments make the narrative feel like it's treading water during the middle of the episode, exposing them as little more than filler. Conversely, however, everything that surrounds this is distinctly strong. The juxtaposing of Hurley's visitations from Jacob, and his subsequent realisation of his mission, with Jin's unfortunate encounter with Claire is a superlative piece of scripting that generates sufficient dramatic tension and beguiling mystery to ensure that the viewer remains firmly on the edge of his or her seat, scratching their heads in delectable bemusement. Once again, a substantial number of questions are generated, but hints at answers to others are incorporated too, to avoid a feeling of frustration. The sequences in the lighthouse are particularly indicative of this, as the structure itself is unusual enough to keep forums buzzing for a good week or two with discussions about the names on the gigantic compass and, more importantly, the 'mirror' that seems to allow the spectator, at the very least, to view the life of the individual denoted by a certain bearing (once again, the numbers afforded our Losties seem to correspond to Hurley's numbers, suggesting further significance, and 108 is Jacob's suggested bearing, which is both the sum of these numbers and the number of minutes between button-pressing in the fabled old hatch). It's entirely possible, of course, that this is far more than simply a lens and that it somehow provides a basis for Jacob's ability to appear off-Island, transporting him to the destination in question. For all its apparent science-fiction tendencies, it's a wonderful conceit and one that is superbly executed by the production department, the design of the device exhibiting a sort of archaic, confounding aesthetic that just makes you yearn to know more. We may never get the answers we seek, however, since Jack essentially has a big paddy, taking out his pent-up frustration on the thing, but this is an excellent moment in itself, perfectly in line with his character and symptomatic of the importance of his apparent journey for the remainder of the season. For all it appears, on a superficial level at least, that Jacob's reasoning for 'pushing' Jack rather than simply giving him all the facts, is rather flimsy, the sort of pseudo-psychoanalytic mumbo jumbo that typically attempts to excuse a slowness of pacing, it is nevertheless perfectly in sync with the character, since his reluctance to accept the fantastical (or rather, the machinations of 'destiny') necessitates a learning curve. Hurley, on the other hand, has always been receptive to that which he cannot explain, which helps to justify Jacob's straightforward approach throughout their relationship. Still, his duplicitousness does shine through when he reveals his ulterior motive for sending Hurley and Jack away, which potentially suggests that they are the preferred of his candidates or that he simply cannot afford to 'lose' them to Smokie. It's a rather callous move, given that it effectively 'writes off' Sayid and potentially Kate, Jin and Sawyer, and as such, helps to further complicate the apparent 'good/evil' binary between the two benevolent characters. Meanwhile, over in the Monster's camp, Jin finds himself playing house with a somewhat affected Claire, whose three years in the wilderness have essentially turned her into the new Rousseau. Emilie de Ravin is excellent here, perfecting the character's transformation through a subtle manipulation of vocal delivery and body language, aided admirably by the costume and production department's combined efforts to make her look decidedly feral. There are some superbly disturbing touches to the mise en scene: the skeleton in the cradle, the presence of all sorts of weird and wondrous instruments in her little 'hovel' (needles, axes, you name it) that all work to make the sequences truly unnerving. By the time she's threatening the poor Other with the axe, she's so far removed from the tenants of her prior character that it's almost as if she's a new person altogether and one that we should most definitely fear. The addition of Smokey Locke to proceedings only intensifies matters, suggesting that he has manipulated Claire sufficiently with his influence to transform her into this paranoid, aggressive individual and this demonstrates a great deal of potential for the furtherance of the storyline; potentially, Locke and kooky Claire together will make for a formidable, and distinctly frightening, team. Perhaps the most engaging aspect of this whole narrative is its unpredictability and the highly effective manner through which, by the subtle manipulation of dialogue and representation, Cuse and Lindelof are able to construct an undercurrent of decidedly macabre apprehension. 'Lighthouse' is a difficult episode to assess. There are a great deal of enjoyable aspects to the narrative, particularly where the furtherance of the Jacob/Smokey dynamic is concerned, as once more, we are presented with several beguiling narrative strands (the nature of the lighthouse, Claire's transformation) that keep the viewer guessing and maintain a prominent level of suspense. Unfortunately, the episode seems to dip somewhat in its mid-section due to the noticeable padding of the plot, particularly when Hurley and Jack are walking to their destination, which, when coupled with the rather disappointing flash sideways, makes for a distracting and less engaging experience. Essentially, a third of the hour is a little sub-par, while the other two thirds contain just about enough that is good or excellent to keep things afloat. A tough call then. Let's go with a...
  • "You've got what it takes"

Usually, I'm not a big fan of Jack-centric episodes, except the big ones, like "Looking glass". But this one got me hooked. We may have the best flash-sideways for now ( yes, better than the Locke one to me, if just by an inch ) . The "what if" nature of the flashes was used with great results, showing us Jack having with his son the heart-to-heart talk he never had the chance to have with Christian. Very touching, since Matthew Fox brought his A-game. On the island front, nothing much to report, except some Hurley jokes ( who voices a common opinion about the skeletons ) , and an intriguing path for Jack. The "crazy Claire" storyline provides some answers, but not much. All in all, a transition episode, but a good one.
  • Shedding light on Lost

The final season continues to provide a steady stream of answers and implications, and this episode definitely has its moments. It is becoming progressively more difficult to separate each episode from the massive context in which it arrives. It is a testimony to the writers that the episodes themselves are still solid, telling a compelling story as well as tying up the loose ends.

The "flash sideways" into the "Lost X" timeline continues the trend of showing a more positive version of the conflicted characters, especially Jack. No one would ever expected Jack, given his family issues, to be a happy go-lucky kind of guy. And someone with that many Daddy Issues is going to struggle with fatherhood. But it's clear that Jack X is someone making strides and dealing with his insecurities. This isn't someone lost or in search of redemption; he's just trying to be a better father.

That's not the familiar Jack on the island. Jack is still broken, and his attempt at self-redemption in 1977 has apparently failed so miserably that he is even more aimless. As Jacob said, Jack is not going to listen to anyone's advice, and he is not going to let himself be led around by the nose for very long. Jack is the kind of stubborn man that needs to work out the obvious for himself. (Not unlike a certain Mr. Ford.)

Taking a tour of the old caves from the first season was a nice touch. It's sometimes hard to remember just how much things have changed! However, this seemed to be designed to serve a different purpose above and beyond nostalgia. It was a reminder of Jack's encounter with the apparition of his father (very likely Jacob's rival), as well as a signal that the writers haven't forgotten Adam and Eve. This is the "Lost" equivalent to showing the audience that the gun is still sitting on the mantelpiece; both plot elements are going to come into play before the tale is told.

This was also a great episode for Hurley. Hurley may seem to do whatever the voices tell him to do, but his instincts have been fairly good over the years. With Jack all but out of commission, Hurley is acting more like a Candidate than anyone else at the moment. That said, Hurley has played the kingmaker more often than he has played the king, and it might make more sense for him to shift into a Richard Alpert-type role.

Kate's focus is back on her fifth season mission, and this is more bearable than her apparent lack of direction in "What Kate Does". Kate directly rejects the notion of doing what Jack wants her to do, and makes it very clear that she is still focused on finding Claire and reuniting her with Aaron somehow. That's likely to end badly, but it's great to see Kate blazing her own path. There's still hope that she will play a vital role.

Even as damaged as she is, it's great to see Claire again. It seems as though her perspective has been warped by her time on the island and the influence of Jacob's rival, but appearances may be deceiving. What version of events has Claire been told? Just what did she go through at the hands of the Others? It's not as though the Others have been peaceful; they weren't called the Hostiles without cause. Claire could feel justified in her actions, and she could be right.

****

Of course, that leads into some speculation, which pertains directly to the revelations at the Lighthouse.

This builds on some of the speculation in the review for "The Substitute". Generally speaking, there is evidence to suggest that one storytelling purpose for the "Lost X" segments is the implication that everyone would be a lot better off if Jacob had never brought them to the island. And sure enough, in this episode, it seems very clear that Jacob used the semi-mystical nature of the island to lead his potential Candidates to the island.

This is all tied up with "the numbers", but it now seems clear that the nature of the numbers might be the real clue. Since the beginning, there has been an odd assumption by many that the numbers themselves hold a mystical value, as if they hold a specific property unto themselves. While tying the numbers to specific individuals does touch on elements such as the doomsday Valenzetti Equation and Faraday's talk of "variables", it could also have a more transcendent meaning.

What if "the numbers" aren't a cause, but rather, an effect? In this case, a representation of the manipulation of the random: imposition of order upon statistical chaos. The numbers always seem to show up in moments that link directly to the sequence of events that Jacob has set into motion, even if just in the background. They are found in the most unlikely of places, especially if they are then meant to have a specific causal meaning.

What if they are simply an artifact of Jacob's manipulation of time? In "Lost Prime", the numbers are seemingly everywhere: they show up far more often than chance would allow. In "Lost X", they don't seem to hold any significant meaning. This appears to link up with the fact that "Lost Prime" is the timeline in which Jacob is manipulating events, and that "Lost X" is the opposite. As Mrs. Hawking told Desmond, time tends to "course correct"; one way or another, the same people and similar situations unfold, just in variant fashion.

From this perspective, the numbers are a sign of Jacob's subversion of free will. The implication is that Jacob's rival would then champion unfettered free will. Jacob's rival has always seemed to be more focused on choices. That said, there is still not enough context to know exactly what the nature of their conflict is, and why it is taking place on the island.

The lighthouse and the cave may be a clue. The lighthouse seems to belong to Jacob; he has a set number of 360 potential Candidates, perhaps defined by what the lighthouse shows him at each position on the wheel. Each number denotes the Candidate at that location. The process of bringing people to the island, Jacob's sense of "progress" mentioned in "The Incident", could be the iterative process of crossing out the names of failed Candidates. Bringing people to the island is the most expedient means of testing the Candidates for Jacob's replacement.

By this logic, the cave could be the home of Jacob's rival. The names there were incomplete and not consistent with the number/name combinations on the wheel. This implies that Jacob's rival has been trying to get the names from the lighthouse, in the hopes of derailing the process of replacing Jacob (and thus, presumably, ending his "imprisonment").

It seems odd that the ever-important number 108 referred to someone named "Wallace", not a more familiar face. Odds were much better that it would have been either Desmond or Charles Widmore, since the island didn't seem to be finished with either of them. Both need to be part of the story to make sense of it all. Perhaps Wallace is connected to one of those men, or even both. On the other hand, the name was crossed out, so it may have referred to "Wallace" in the past, but not any more.

If the implications about the numbers are correct, then what does it say about Jacob's true nature? Is he the "good guy", as he seems? If the numbers are an artifact of Jacob's direct or indirect influence on events, then he can be linked to dozens of questionable situations over the course of the story. But two in particular come to mind.

First, there is the oft-mentioned Valenzetti Equation. The numbers were said to be the values of certain key variables that would lead to the swift destruction of humanity. The Dharma Initiative was all about changing those values. If the numbers lock onto those values as an artifact of Jacob's influence, then it could be said that Jacob's actions are hastening the end of the human race. (Assuming, of course, the Valenzetti Equation and explanation are canon, as they seem to be.)

The second example is definitely canon and far more straightforward. Hurley played the numbers in the lottery, and that began the downward spiral of his life. This led Hurley to one very simple conclusion: "the numbers are bad". While this has often been dismissed as a matter of Hurley's perspective, this may have been early foreshadowing that the source of the numbers (in this case, Jacob) is not good.

In addition to the connections explored in the review for "The Substitute", there are other aspects to consider. Jacob's rival, as the smoke monster, always seemed to judge people on the island based on their desire to change and seek redemption. Those unwilling to grow past their weaknesses and issues were killed. It's hard to say if this is truly "evil". It could have been a response to an individual's rejection of choice: those unwilling to change were all but trapped by a sense that they were locked into a pre-determined life, and that could have offended Jacob's sensibilities.

On the other hand, Jacob's rival could have been testing people to determine if they were Candidates. Those who were Candidates were ripe for subversion to his cause; it seems rather obvious that Locke's experience early in the first season was with Jacob's rival in some form. Those who were not Candidates could be eliminated. This is another area that needs a lot more context before solid conclusions can be reached.

But there is also the fact that the smoke monster could be summoned for "protection". If Jacob's rival was something to be contained, why would there be a means of summoning him for protection? Granted, it was something Ben could do, and there's evidence that Ben was always working for Jacob's rival, but those hieroglyphics had been there for a long time.

Part of the fun is recognizing that characters are choosing sides, even though they have no idea what the nature of the conflict really is. So which side is "good", and which side is "evil"? Can either side really be described in such simple terms? Perhaps this is going down the less familiar and less traveled path of "Babylon 5"; perhaps the answer will ultimately be refusing to choose either side. And if that is the case, one might consider that the "Lost X" timeline has yet to show any hint of intervention from either Jacob or his rival.

Overall, this was another solid entry for the final season, continuing the trend of providing a compelling storyline while still answering key questions regarding long-standing mysteries. There is the definite sense that this is all leading to a big revelation, but there is still much to be revealed before the end.
  • I've been re-watching seasons 1-5 and the fact is, the writers had a plan since season 1 and it makes even more sense in rewind. "The Lighthouse" was an indication of their direction.

"They haven't revealed anything yet" or "its predictable" the haters say and will continue to say about season 6. These statements are laughable because are the tell-tale signs of the fan who simply does not pay attention as well as he or she should. I've been re-watching seasons 1-5 and the fact is, the writers had a plan since season 1 and it makes even more sense in rewind. "The Lighthouse" was an indication of their direction. The following bits of the episode are an indication of the writers awesome use of continuity. By continuity I mean using details from previous seasons to build the continuing storyline

................................................
    (1.) Jack's mention of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland to David-Although a more subtle piece of evidence, Jack read the same book to Aaron in Season 4. In season 4, this moment showed the viewers for the first time that Jack would try his best to be a good father figure. In the flash sideways, one can imagine Jack read to David the same way when he was Aaron's age. This shows that in both realities, Jack tries to be a good father figure unlike his own father, despite the obvious shortcomings.
    .................................................

(2.) Jack's surgery scar in the flash sideways-We first saw this scar in Season when Juliet performed appendectomy surgery on him. This is another piece of evidence that shows Jack's life to render the same outcome (but through different means). Or the same. I wouldn't be surprised if we see later in the season Juliet performing this surgery in the flash-sideways. ..................................................
    (3.) Jack finding Shannon's inhaler on the ground- Shannon dropped this inhaler early in season 1. Although a smaller detail, it shows the writers have not forgotten what was left on the island, even from a long time ago. ....................................................
    4. The "White Rabbit References." I'll lump these together because this unfolding blew me away. In season one episode 5, the writers were just beginning to build Jack's character. In "The Lighthouse" the writers use the pieces of that first season episode to show qualities of Jack and his life that have been there all along.

...................................................
    (A.) The details start small with David finding his mothers keys under a ceramic white rabbit. This also parallels Miles finding a key under a white rabbit in his season 5 flashback. ....................................................
    (B.) The Alice in Wonderland book is also symbolic of "White Rabbit" because its reminiscent of one of the first conversations Jack and Locke ever had. Jack told Locke he thought he was chasing his father. To this Locke referenced Alice chasing the white rabbit in Alice in Wonderland.
    .....................................................

(C.) When Jack tells Hurley about his father leading Jack to the caves (White Rabbit) and smashing his father's coffin because he was not inside. This was very powerful because the emotions I felt for Jack the first time when I saw "White Rabbit" 6 years ago I remembered so distinctly. ...................................................
    D. Jacob telling to Hurley tell Jack he has what it takes. This was extremely powerful because in the "White Rabbit" flashback, his father told him he did not have what it took. The look on Jack's face not only was an homage to the writers, but Matthew Fox's outstanding acting ability. Whether it was that moment, following Hurley to the lighthouse, smashing the mirrors, or trying so desperately to be the father Christian wasn't to his son, I couldn't help but be in awe of Fox's ability to make Jack the wonderful, complex character he's stayed since season 1.
    ....................................................
    5. Hurley commenting on the bodies of Adam and Eve. In season 1, this was a detail I hoped the writers would not forget, even though it did not really seem significant at the time. When Hurley said he wondered if the bodies could be one of them if they time traveled again, I was amazed because that was the same thought that resonated with me back in season 5. I would like to believe that these bodies belong to Rose and Bernard. After all, the last time we saw them was in 1977 and they were the only consistently happy couple. If they die, they should die in peace, side by side. So there you have it. Lost is a show where you have to pay attention and you have to review because the writers do not forget. It is ignorant to say "they haven't revealed anything" just because they are not revealing the big, obvious details yet. The writers have been revealing all along. In the "Light House" they revealed so much about Jack's character and the flash-sideways in small but significant ways. I'm tired of people ranting about the flash-sideways, because they're missing the point. The flash-sideways so far serve to show whether the characters would be the same, better-off, or worse-off if the island exploded in 1977. The use of past details from a season 1 episode to bring Jack's character full circle was nothing short of brilliant. My hat goes off to the writers and to the cast. I can't wait till next week!
  • *** Spoiler-free *** Empathic Shephard family, scooby adventure with Hurley, extra puzzle pieces to assemble and decent strange Claire arc

The Substitute was about John Locke, this one was about Jack Shephard. As expected Matthew Fox gave a convincing performance and learning more about who Jack is in the city was quite interesting. I never really pictured him as a father as in the past only the relationship with his own father was covered. So it was refreshing to see him interact with his family members, his son and mother. I specially liked the intergeneration links between the three men of the Shephard family. How can you avoid to do the same mistakes as your father ? How can you befriend a son you rarely see ? In fact it reminded me of The Variable featuring Daniel Faraday. However I think it was better because Jack and his son are characters we can easily relate with.

As for the island arc of course it also involved Jack but Hurley joined him for a little adventure. As often he served as the comic relief and now Jacob's spooky appearances are really delightful. But his role was important because he helped Jack to comprehend his destiny. However don't expect to get answers because in fact the episode arose many intriguing questions. It's an issue for some people but I don't mind the slow progression because it makes the story far much more interesting when it gets intense. Otherwise I found the Lighthouse metaphora a bit too literal and was expecting something more subtle.

Last but not least the episode also featured Jin and Claire. It was definitely the weirdest arc and ended with a cliffhanger. I suppose some viewers saw it coming but I didn't. As for Emilie de Ravin's performance I didn't find it convincing. Behind the dirty make-up I saw she was just acting and it made her strange character less believable. But she's young so comparing her to Matthew Fox or Henry Ian Cusick (Desmond Hume) is inappropriate. At least she succeeded in bringing craziness to her scenes so let's just say she did a decent job.

To sum things up it was an other decent installment but nothing to amaze the demanding viewer. However it really intrigued me so I can't wait to watch the upcoming episode. In fact I already anticipate the mesmerizing collision between all the dual stories. Jack stumbled upon Kate in the jungle but only for a few seconds. Will it ever happen in the city ? And what about Desmond ? Who Smokie will recruit next since Sawyer decided to join it in The Substitute ? It's hard to resist to many puzzling questions.
  • Jack

Another episode from final season and we still have that incredible misterious climate. This time producers give us Jack centre episode, after "Lighthouse" for sure we know the "other time" is not alternativ reality... Jack in both times has scar after operation on island. In Los Angeles Jack take care his son Dave and try to connect with him because he is scary of Jack like Jack was scary of his father in past. On island Hugo again got information from Jacob and this time he must convince Jack to leave temple and go behind him... that was not easy but Hugo say "U have one of takes" and Jack go with him ... they go to the lighthouse , the place which one anyone see before on island... It looks like another Jacob`s place. Someone is coming to island that was not reason wy Jacob take Hugo and Jack to lighthouse, the real reason that was Jack must understood how important is he - that JAcob say to Hugo at the end of episode. From other side we have some action with Claire , Jin and some Claire "friend" - that friend is UnLocke or Flocke... Claire is totally different then in past ... now she is something like determinate person which want find son Aaron. I smeel some fight beetwen Claire and Kate in future ^^

Really good episode 10
  • White Rabbit 2 (I wont stop doing this until the S1 pattern stops lol)...

Hurley must convince Jack to accompany him on a mission, and Jin comes across an old acquaintance. I know a lot of fans think Jack's flashback or forward episodes are normally on the boring side but I enjoyed this flash sideways, it had some decent scenes and good acting from Fox throughout. The scene where Jack hears his message and where he talks to his son David about not wanting be like his dad are good examples, it was great to see Jack in a different light, he was more emotional and dare I say likable in this episode. It also made a change from his usual stupid centric episodes were he would be flying kites, playing the piano and sometimes have a beard. As usual the island scenes are the best parts of the show. Hurley was awesome I think he has been my favourite character this season so far he has been really funny but also a very pivotel character of the season he often gets people from one place to the other like in LA X he was the one that got the group to the temple and again he has got Jack to the lighthouse this is of course all because of Jacob, I see a pattern emerging, I get the impression Jacob is teaching Hurley to be more like Jacob this leads me to beleave that Hurley is the best candidate.I also get the impression that Hurley is Jacob's favourite, after all Hurley he is probably the character that all other characters like he would become a good leader.

Claire's scene where awesome it was good seeing Claire have a good storyline and I like seeing a different side of Emelie's acting. The ending was easy to see coming. I'm excited about the person coming to the island there are a lot of characters it could be, my bet is on Desmond but I'm not ruling out Walt because remember he is speacil, although we haven't heard casting news on Malcolm David Kelly I think they could keep Walt very hush, hush remember his appearence in TTLG didn't see that coming did we?

All in all another awesome episode of Lost one of Jack's best hours on the show, still would like to see more of Miles, Sun, Frank and Ben who are currently being underused in this final season.
  • Two sides, with their own plans

In so many ways, it feels like there are two opposite sides and they are building their "support" and when last episode was about Locke and his side.. then that was.. somehow about Jacob build for his followers and using Hurley to do so.

That lighthouse scene was brilliant. I loved the building and the shock.. I did not expected that there.. but, it's The Island and I should be ready to expect everything.

Also the storyline with the kid was quite good. I had totally forgot that there was more than dead father about Jack and even if that flash.. whatever was maybe not most exciting, it had it's purpose.
  • Flash any way you want, Jack's still a bit boring. But the on island stuff was thoroughly entertaining.

Firstly I really like how they've been following the centricity template from season 1 so far this year. Obviously that won't be able to continue throughout the whole season as we have a different cast now, but it's been cool so far. That said like "White Rabbit" in season 1, Jack's story couldn't come close to standing against Locke's.

This was the first episode in which the main complaints about the flash-sideways (hate that term) rang true for myself. While I'm certain there will be some earth shattering reveal at some point as to how this reality ties into the main one, for now it's hard not to feel like what we're watching is pointless. In the case of last week it didn't matter as it was a brilliantly told episode, however the same can't be said for Jack's story.

Don't get me wrong it wasn't bad; we've had far duller off island Jack stories than this in the past. However while seeing Jack trying to avoid making the same mistakes with his son that Christian made with him wasn't bad it brought up the question of "what does it matter?". Obviously Jack never had a son in the original timeline so something huge has changed here. We also saw Dogan appear with a son of his own off the island. Will this connection have any meaning? At this point I'm on the fence about that, but it was still entertaining to see him out of his Others getup. But other than that any new information on characters is irrelevant. So Jack's dad had Claire in his will; did this mean she was in it in the original timeline? Who knows? Who is Jack's son's mother? What does it matter!? I still believe that this reality will get tied into the main narrative in a way that makes these questions important, but for now it's a bit annoying.

The on island stuff was a different story however. After being off the show for over a season we finally get some good Claire action on the island. It's a shame she's gone a bit mental, as she always seemed like a nice normal grounded character. But I guess normal is boring on Lost now so she's had to become the next Rousseau. Obviously she's gone pretty hardcore in the three years since we last saw her. Her scenes with Jin and the captured Other were very tense, and yes at one point I did think she was going to hack Jin's foot off! But just for a moment. Jin trying to save the Other (forgot his name) was admirable, especially seeing as he seemed like a fairly nice guy in Kate's episode. Of course once he told Jin his plan was to snap Claire's neck it probably made the decision for him not to free the guy. Claire axing him in the stomach after she'd finished her interrogation was a bit predictable, but made sense from her perspective. There's no way he'd keep his word to not tell anyone where she was so you can kind of understand her taking him out. Still the question is up in the air as to how crazy she really is, but so far what we've seen of her was good.

Elsewhere this could've as much been a Hurley episode as a Jack one as he had some great scenes. It was great to see Mark Pelegrino again as Jacob and again he was superb. I especially liked the scene where he was appearing to Hurley while Hurley was talking to Dogan. It was a case of role reversal as Hurley, and through him us as the audience, knew where he was getting his information but Dogan didn't. It was a very cool moment as well as being very funny. Hurley's great as he's the only character that seems to accept they're in a sci-fi show, while still feeling like a realistic character in a ridiculous situation.

Of course his trip through the jungle with Jack wasn't perfect. The line about it being like season 1 was clearly indicative of how the season will go, but when they got to a main staple from that season the episode wobbled significantly. So they found the caves again as well as the bodies inside it. While I could be (and honestly hope I am) wrong about the following, I don't think those bodies were ever meant to be anything significant. I think they were just there to show back in season 1 people had been on the island before flight 815 crashed. However such a huge deal has been made about them that it's needed to be addressed on the show. The moment felt like pure fan service (and not the good kind) and really hurt the momentum of the episode. What's worse is that instead of making folk accept the bodies aren't a big deal most seem certain a huge reveal is on the way! If Hurely had hinted at their importance maybe, but he directly quoted the main theory of who they are. Again I could e proved very wrong by season's end, but I don't think I will be.

Anyway moving onward Hurley and Jack finally found the lighthouse. They did make a bit of a joke as to how they'd never noticed it (come one it was very big and noticeable!) but it's an oversight I'll accept. The scene inside it was great as we appeared to see how Jacob saw the candidates. The mirror thing appears to be full on Supernatural (no electromagnetic time travelling sci-fi can explain away that one) but it was still a cool moment. The meant-to-be-recorded moment of the week with the names and numbers from last week on the dial was great and allowed for some awesome theories to be thought up. In today's age of hi-def TV it's great to see a show that uses it to add to their main plots with small details that would be too unclear to see otherwise. Jack smashing the mirrors was a bit annoying as it seemed he'd just destroyed an important clue to the overall show, but made sense and I do prefer angry wanting answers Jack to last season's happy to do whatever Jack.

So overall this was another good episode, even if I wish the pace would pick up a bit. While it was obvious who Claire's friend would be, it was still a cool ending, as was the reveal that his attack on the temple is imminent (although on Lost that doesn't necessarily mean the next episode). The off island story may not have been great, but it balanced the on island stuff well enough to not significantly hurt the episode. So some cool on island action and a great ending made for another strong episode of this final season.