Lost

Lockdown

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Mar 29, 2006 on ABC

• 'Who's Henry Gale'?

The show gets worse with every single freaking episode. I don't care about Locke and what his dad did to him for the 100th time, neither, did I care last week when Sun got pregnant.

What I want to see is the whole 'Who's Henry Gale' issue dissolve, but instead the writers are trying to thicken the plot and turn up the suspense, but the show is simply turning me off.

• Why?

(maybe spoilers)
    Let me ask you this: why oh why didn't Locke use the vent to get out of there in the first place? Why did he have to risk his life by passing under the heavy door, when in the vent the only risk he could take was to pass by some dirty rats?
    Well, it's easy: because that way this episode, with all its fake thrills and intensity, wouldn't have even existed.
    These kind of plot holes are getting way too often and obvious in this show. This is one of my least fav episodes so far.
  • Wow! Something happened this episode! did we get any answers? erm no just the usual crap.

7.1
    So why did the blast doors come down? why did they go back up again? Why now and not some other time? It's simple things like this that really annoy me about this show, when something does actually happen they gloss over it by showing some luminous map thing on the blast door on top of Locke. Just give me some friggin answers!!! Stop trying to avoid it by teasing me with more questions! It is starting to really irritate me now. Having said all that though, this was the best episode in a long while although my grievances stand. Average.
  • After a bunch of silly episodes and a long wait for reruns to stop, we finally get to see something refreshing! What happened to this show?

7.6
    All I can say is... Lame. We had three episodes that left us waiting for something of what this show had in the beginning. But now it is just lame. I can't say I didn't enjoy this episode, it's actually one of the best eps I've seen since episode seven or eight from this season, but the way they're showing us things it's annoying. They just show us a little just at the end and leave it like that, so we pray for the next one to come, and when it does, after three weeks of reruns, we still have nothing! What do we do now, with this bunch of questions and just a couple of answers? Well, sure... We have to wait until the next episode to know the answer to that...

But hey, this episode had something of what I was expecting. We see a little more of Locke's past, my favorite character, and we get a little more about the hatch. We also get to see a map which we don't even know where it fits, but there's still the ending scene where we're suppossed to wait until next week. Let's hope it gets more interesting after that.
  • Finally an anwser

7.9
    Henry is Lying... finally the acknowledgement
    The mysteries which are piling up in the series have come to 1 anwser.. wonder how long it will take for the next one. I can't stand the face of that guy "Henry" means he plays his part well in the show, but it also shows that there was added a new storyline which we can wait for another season to come to a conclusion
  • Bring me the head of Henry Gale...

7.9
    Alternatively, his ID card will do just as fine. Again in episode 2×17 we are “Lost” in subplots about people’s pasts, riddled with the “evil” numbers (see saftey deposit box Nr. 1516) and the writers’ obsession of thickening the plot by distracting from it.

Henry Gale is dead. Spoiler? No! Henry Gale is white! Is he? Dead or white, does it matter? He is one of “them”, that’s all.
    So, seal the hatch, drop off some new supplies while everyone inside the hatch is locked in! So that’s where the cereal comes from! I think it is time to send in Jack Bauer to get to the bottom of this. Someone is stealing fruity loops cereal and puts it in cheesy white boxes with strange logos printed on it. Messy stuff.

If “Lost” is keeping it’s current course it will be “lost” in the TV ether before you know it. There are too many competitive shows out there for mediocrity to survive for long and today’s audience is incredibly sensitive to this. Anyone I have spoken to so far agreed that Season Two is getting weaker and weaker with every show. Flashback my dear writers belong in Season One, if you have not succeeded to establish your characters after one season you never will and spending a whole episode on one character can be nice but as flashback (and not the last since we still need to find out when/how Locke lost his control over his legs)? The plot thickens… elsewhere.
  • A Locke-centric episode.

Let me just start off this review by saying that as whole, I really liked this episode. Although, I have to say that I definitely don't think that this was the best episode ever of Lost. Locke has never been one of my most favorite characters on the show, so I just naturally don't like his episodes as much as everyone else's. I did enjoy getting to see Katey Segal again in this episode as a guest star though. My favorite thing about this episode was the poker game story line and Sawyer's involvement with it since he's always been one of my most favorite characters on the show. Josh Holloway definitely plays the role of Sawyer perfectly. All in all, this definitely wasn't the best episode ever of Lost in my opinion, but I still thought that it was still pretty good.
  • In a few seconds, Lost lays out a major piece of mythology.

As is the case with the multiple flashback arcs, this episode offers further details of how certain events in the castaways lives happened. Something happened between the events from the flashbacks of "Orientation" to "Walkabout" that explained how Locke went from a satisfying relationship (arguably the best thing that ever happened to him), to having to pay a woman to reenact this moment in his life for him. This episode answers that question. The biggest mystery in Locke's past could've easily been put it in with Locke having one of the blast door bars go through his legs, effectively limiting his mobility. Considering the information overload of the blast door map, it was probably better that we wait a little longer for that piece of information.

Locke is probably the best-developed character on the show. Initially, Locke was this super cool character who could do anything, unlocking the power of the island as well as knowing tons of valuable information. Now we see him as a very flawed human being, one who has been jerked around by almost everyone around him his whole life. Despite trying not to be fooled again, he still falls for his father's cons in hopes that he can earn his love and it ends up costing him the woman who truly loves him.

It happens again in the hatch, as Henry Gale provides him invaluable help during the lockdown, possibly saving his legs and taking care of the button. In the end, Henry lied to Locke just like Cooper, betraying his trust, although he didn't kill him after the Lockdown was over, which he easily could have.

This episode effectively brought back the theory that Cooper is the original Sawyer, one that has been around since we first saw him. Cooper is the right age to con Sawyer's parents circa 1976 and he has been a guiltless bastard every time he's appeared on the show. Of course, what kind of ramifications would that entail should Sawyer find out (and how could that happen on the island)?

Theories aside, there is a definite connection between the survivors revealed, as Locke inspects the house of Sayid's childhood love, Nadia. So between four and seven years, Nadia made it to America. A lot can be said about these connections, from they are just random Easter eggs that the producers throw in to reward fans who pay attention to something to show how interconnected all the survivors really are. It adds to the theory that each person was placed on the island for a reason.

We knew some lockdown was coming, as the blast doors were mentioned back in "What Kate Did". Of course, the lockdown spurs many questions. The consensus seems to be that this lockdown was triggered because of the food drop. But is that so? Now why would they lock them in the hatch while the food was dropped is unknown, nor why would they not drop the food off closer to the hatch (is there anything in there that they use to protect themselves from whatever contaminant they are so afraid of). Also, why is the lockdown apparently only for the living quarters and not the whole hatch? OK, the human sized air vents can be maneuvered around, but doesn't that wreck the point of a lockdown?

Ironically, the moment that is getting the most attention is something that only occurred for a few seconds on screen. While brief, this "map" is a crucial piece of the island mythology. They didn't need to show it for long since rabid Lost fans took high definition screen shots and clarified some of the harder to read items, also translating the Latin into English (it also appeared in an issue of Entertainment Weekly). Although it will be harder for Locke, who only had a brief shot while he was still in agonizing pain.

One of the theories that has sprung this season is is the island conning Locke? He has shown to be easily swayed and there is a thin line between that and faith. The hatch has turned out not to be what he expected, and it has been eating at him all season, now the hatch has given him an exclusive look at this map. Perhaps he sees this as another phase in his destiny that he claimed lead him into the hatch, and tha. If that's true, he will likely keep it secret, as he has the hatch when he and Boone first found it, along with his mysterious former handicap.

There are six stations, four of which are named (The Staff or caduceus, The Arrow, The Swan and The Flame). Some suspect The Flame is the underwater hatch some have theorized as existing, which would make its name ironic. There are several extensions springing forward to the question mark in the center, but do not connect. What does that mean? Were all the hatches connected at some point and obstructed by something, or was this a theory that was dashed? The CV's followed by a Roman numeral throughout the map are also curious, but I have no idea what that could mean.

A note near The Flame has one author writing that they suspected The Flame to be there, but later doubted it "due to Cerberus activity" (The Staff station may have been abandoned due to this as well). Cerberus was the mythological three-headed dog that guarded the gates of hell. Because of that connotation, the theory that Cerberus is the smoke monster has sprung up on the net, and some believe that is the official name.

There are numerous notes of failed operations, like The Staff station being abandoned after the "AH/MDG Incident". This could shed some light on The Others, who may have crashed that hatch like our castaways have The Swan, or perhaps they are renegade Dharma, or experiments gone awry. Nearby there is mention of several system wide failures, which could be what the incident was. There is also mention of a Magnus or M. Angus Hanso, whose resting place is at the black rock. If this is the Black Rock, it seems awfully close to The Swan station.

Below The Swan, there is a line reading "Fatalities: 5". This worth noting because Rousseau's crew consisted of six people and she was the last person alive. Did Rousseau write any of this? However many people drew this map, they had to know the island, and Rousseau would be a prime candidate for that (although one notation by The Staff suggests that they couldn't get there and back to The Swan in 108 minutes). Has Rousseau been in the hatch? How many, other than The Staff does she know about? Next time she pops up, Locke should talk to her about it, and perhaps consult her notes Sayid has, as Entil noted.

There are several phrases in Latin, like "I think, therefore I am depressed", "It's a bad plan that cannot be changed" and "the cure is worse than the disease". All of these, with the corresponding dates, point to things going wrong with the experiments after the incident (which happened before 1980 if we are to believe what the Orientation film told us).

Some places, like the survivors' camp, aren't labeled, and the map is likely not drawn to scale. Perhaps the island is shaped similarly to the octagon of the Dharma logo. This could add some credibility to the theory that the island is man made. It does work as a reference point, so perhaps they were looking for something that they could design their stations from.

The writing on the wall (so to speak) appears to have been written by several generations of Dharma employees. Its location also warrants discussion. Why is this on the blast door? What use does it have only be shown in lockdown for a few seconds in black light? Who are they hiding the map from? Did The Others have something to do with it? What goal were they trying to accomplish with the map? This opens so many possibilities for the future.

Sayid's confrontation at the end of the episode begs one big question; did Sayid prepare that little speech the whole way back, asking Charlie and Ana-Lucia "Does this sound cold blooded and cool?" Now that Sayid knows that his gut instinct was correct, Henry is in deep trouble. Had Sayid and Ana-Lucia been alone, Sayid's speech would've likely been the last thing Henry ever heard.

Like other recent episodes, much else doesn't happen outside of the hatch. There are some lighter moments with Sawyer, Hurley, Kate and Jack playing poker, but the other players don't seem as eager to get back what Sawyer took from them a few days earlier (it's easy to forget that, especially with the long gaps between some of the episodes). Plus Jack knocks down Sawyer's status so quickly that it renders his power play in "The Long Con" moot. It does set up Jack's past in Thailand, which is likely after his divorce, but perhaps they could've done it differently.

One thing that they didn't have enough time for was Jack and Kate's relationship since Jack didn't tell her about Henry until this critical moment. Clearly she was siding with Sawyer, but after his con, she found herself out of the loop as Jack got a little jealous and spent his time trying to start an army with Ana-Lucia.

Libby still feels like the most likely candidate to be one of The Others besides Henry. Of the tail section that haven't died or disappeared, we know the least about Libby. Ana-Lucia and Eko both have had a flashback episode and Bernard is vouched for by Rose, who we know was on the plane. All we have are a few morsels of information and a look of discomfort when Libby realized Hurley recognized her.

Since this episode confirms that Henry is an imposter (he will still be referred to as Henry Gale until we learn his true name, the man Sayid dug up will be called the real Henry Gale or something to that affect), Jack and Locke now have to decide what to do with him. Will they use him to confront the others? Keep him there indefinitely as they have before?

This episode really gets the final arc moving, as the blast door map gives the audience more than enough to chew on to make up for the episodes that focused more on characters. Although it seems anti-climactic that they waited three episodes to tell us what we already knew about Henry, knowing what I know from the end of season two, it was a good step in the seasonal narrative.
  • Overall, this episode dropped quite a bit of information into the audience’s lap, as if tempting the viewers to dig further and discover everything to be gleaned.

As expected, this episode represented a turn towards the final leg of the season arc, as a great deal of information seems to have come together by the end. There are still a thousand questions that remain answered, but the writers have paid off the patience of many by providing some information that should factor into the season finale.

It’s not at all clear why the blast doors in the hatch would drop at this particular time, though it’s possible to speculate based on the evidence. Michael’s comment about the blast doors is clear evidence that this moment has been coming for quite a while, since the writers planted the seed very early in the arc. The intersection of the blast doors dropping and the arrival of the supply drop seems to be a little too coincidental, especially on the heels of Henry’s question about how old the food is in the previous episode.

So there’s two simple ways to interpret this. One interpretation would be that the announcement was meant as a warning that there was a supply drop coming and that the blast doors would come down to prevent contact with the outside world. But that doesn’t quite match what Desmond described. Another possibility is that the blast doors were routinely tested, and that the announcement was meant to remind the hatch inhabitants to reset the timer and get behind the doors. While the hatch inhabitants were safely in the hatch, unable to leave, the supply drop could take place for the Dharma personnel on the island. This is supported by the note on the map which reads “PRD every 6-8 months”, which probably refers to Parachuted Ration Drop. (Ignoring, for the moment, the idiocy of having vent lines open to other rooms if the blast doors have dropped!)

Of course, there are plenty of other ways to explain what happened, but one thing is strongly suggested: the blast doors have probably dropped several times before, giving someone the time and opportunity to hide that map where it couldn’t be found. It may not have been Desmond (who claimed to have been trapped in the hatch by himself for quite some time), but it seems written from the point of view of someone trying to understand what’s happening on the island.

The alternative is that the map was planted there. If the Others triggered the blast doors in an attempt to capitalize on the Henry’s presence there, since he definitely seems to be one of them, then Locke could have been meant to see that map. The Others could have been watching Sayid, Ana, and Charlie, and could have taken measures to advance their agenda by playing on Locke’s psychological issues.

At any rate, the map suggests that the general shape of the island is rather similar to the octagonal symbol used by the Dharma Initiative, which in and of itself underscores the theory that the entire island was converted into a massive playground for Hanso’s little endgame. At least three of the six stations are identified, as well as at least four “CV” installations. What “CV” might stand for is anybody’s guess.

The four identified stations do, in fact, match the hieroglyphics that appeared when the countdown dropped to zero, and there are lines connecting all many of the six “outer” stations, which adds credence to the theory that the stations are connected somehow. The possible locations of the two other stations are indicated. The map could include rivers, but there are also indications of tunnels in the area of the island that hasn’t been pinned down.

Why would that be the case? The simple explanation is that the “security system” is active on that side of the island, preventing exploration. The question is: does that also correspond to the area of the island controlled by the Others? That would suggest that the “security system” is keeping the JackLocke tribe from discovering the active Dharma sites. On the other hand, Ana seemed to suggest that the very center of the island was the stronghold of the Others, which would suggest that the big circle at the center of the map was the active communal Dharma facility referenced in “Orientation”.

The notes in conjunction with the “CV” notations translate to “Here Be Dragons”, which could indicate that the “CV” sites are actually the origination points of the “security system”. The repeated references to Cerberus (protector of the gateway to hell) are also very suggestive. Part of the problem is that the location of certain established places in the series (the drug plane, Black Rock, Danielle’s redoubt, etc.) aren’t indicated clearly on the map, for obvious reasons. There’s also no sense of scale, though one could assume that the drawing is not to scale and that the stations are perhaps a mile apart.

There’s a reference to experiments on polar bears using extreme climate change and gene therapy, which suggests that the polar bears were brought there by Dharma. The alleged incident is referenced as the “AH/MDG incident of 1985”, which definitely refers to Alvar Hanso. Is “MDG” a reference to one of the fields of study initiated by Hanso to “further the evolution of the human race”?

One could go on and on with an analysis of the map, and there’s little doubt that it will come up again and again on fansites around the internet. The real question is not what the map means, but what it represents. If Locke has been waiting for a revelation, some sign meant for him to discover, like the shaman imploring his gods to deliver a message, then how will he react to this experience? Will he tell Jack and the rest of the prominent tribe members about the map, or will he keep this to himself in some kind of power play?

While Locke doesn’t look like he’ll be going anywhere for a while on his own, he could enlist a few other people with a vested interest in discovering the purpose of the island. If he remains true to form, he could set out to discover the facility at the center of the island on his own. One would hope that he would at least consult Sayid on the information that was stolen from Danielle, to see if those maps could be correlated to the map he saw on the blast doors. And of course, there’s the question of how much of the information Locke was able to retain. (It’s a lot easier to work out details on a screencap, with plenty of time to spare, than it would have been for Locke at that angle and for such a short period of time.)

It’s also quite interesting to watch the slow switch in Locke’s attitude towards Henry, counterpoint to Jack’s own shifting perspective. Locke started out as very suspicious of Henry, but by the end of this episode, he was ready to trust Henry at his word, all because Henry didn’t abandon him. (Yes, on top of his delusions of “destiny”, Locke has serious abandonment issues. Locke’s a seething cauldron of psychological chaos.)

Jack now has every reason to think that Henry is another plant by the Others, which puts him in an interesting position. Last time Jack encountered the Others, Zeke had a gun to Kate’s head; now, Jack has one of the Others at gunpoint. The difference is that Henry has Locke over a barrel, and he’s also very good at messing with people. (One would think, looking back on the whole series, that Locke is particularly vulnerable to psychological manipulation.)

Locke’s flashback helped to fill in a few gaps in his story, linking his life in “Walkabout” to the rest of his history, without giving up the one piece of information that would really make the fans happy. Frankly, it’s better that way. This wasn’t the episode to drop that particular bomb, even if the writers really built the episode in a way that suggested it might be relevant. But now it’s clear why Locke wasn’t with Helen, and reveals how far he had fallen to build up the fantasy that he could have his life back.

Though the flashback dealt with his abandonment issues, so often self-imposed, there were other nuggets spread throughout that part of the story. For one thing, Sayid’s lost love Nadia is alive and well, and living on her own, at least four years prior to the crash of Oceanic 815. Oceanic was in operation, which makes absolute sense given their connections to Dharma.

An interesting possibility arises, given the behavior of Locke’s father since his introduction in the first season. Is it possible that Locke’s father is, in fact, the read Sawyer? What would happen if “Sawyer” were to discover that? One thing the producers promised was that the connections between the survivors would slowly unfold, even if they didn’t impact the main story, and that is happening more and more. All of it continues to suggest that these individuals were chosen by Dharma to be on Oceanic 815 specifically because of their connected histories.

Obviously, Locke and the map aren’t the only items of interest in the episode. There’s the rather calm battle of wits between Jack and Sawyer. Jack manages to outwit and outplay his opponent, which should lead to some interesting jockeying later down the road. Sawyer was well on his way to becoming the merchant prince of the island, right down to the scoundrel personality, and now he’s lost control of an important asset to Jack. How will he respond to the fact that Jack has effectively demonstrated his power over him?

One small problem with the episode is Kate. She seems awfully chummy with Sawyer, given how he used her so terribly only a few days earlier. More than that, she’s back to her flirting ways with Jack. Kate is easily the least defined and least interesting characters right now, with no discernable motivations of her own. The writers need to remedy that quickly.

The rest of the characters are sidelined somewhat by the intense focus on the hatch, which would normally be a bad sign. In this case, the writers used the tension surrounding Locke and his status, past and “present”, to keep the episode gripping. There really was a sense that Locke could be a victim, betrayed by Henry in his moment of need, and the fact that it didn’t happen, leaving Locke to be manipulated even more, carries the momentum into the next episode. Things are really beginning to take shape for the end of the season, and if they do this right, the writers could make everyone forget the bumps along the way.
  • this was good

this was a really good episode and so revealing!!! i am curious about the map and what it means exactly. i wonder what is going to happen with "henry gale" now that they know he is an other and if locke will osmehow be able to protect him like he promised. i think it is possible that henry triggered the map somehow when he was typing in the code.
  • "What's in the bag John?"

There's a lady who's sure all that glitters is gold And she's buying the stairway to heaven. When she gets there she knows, if the stores are all closed With a word she can get what she came for. Ooh, ooh, and she's buying the stairway to heaven. There's a sign on the wall but she wants to be sure 'Cause you know sometimes words have two meanings. In a tree by the brook, there's a songbird who sings, Sometimes all of our thoughts are misgiven. Ooh, it makes me wonder, Ooh, it makes me wonder. There's a feeling I get when I look to the west, And my spirit is crying for leaving. In my thoughts I have seen rings of smoke through the trees, And the voices of those who stand looking. Ooh, it makes me wonder, Ooh, it really makes me wonder. And it's whispered that soon if we all call the tune Then the piper will lead us to reason. And a new day will dawn for those who stand long And the forests will echo with laughter. If there's a bustle in your hedgerow, don't be alarmed now, It's just a spring clean for the May queen. Yes, there are two paths you can go by, but in the long run There's still time to change the road you're on. And it makes me wonder. Your head is humming and it won't go, in case you don't know, The piper's calling you to join him, Dear lady, can you hear the wind blow, and did you know Your stairway lies on the whispering wind. And as we wind on down the road Our shadows taller than our soul. There walks a lady we all know Who shines white light and wants to show How everything still turns to gold. And if you listen very hard The tune will come to you at last. When all are one and one is all To be a rock and not to roll. And she's buying the stairway to heaven.
  • Charlie,Ana-Lucia, and Sayid find a balloon. The blast doors in the hatch close locking Locke beneath one of them. Jack plays cards with Kate, Hurley, and Sawyer.

For the last couple of episodes I have been trying to figure out who this Henry Gale is, but now I am almost certain he is an \"Other\". Who knows what Sayid will do now.
    What\'s with the writing on the wall? How is Locke going to get that back?
    This episode has brought Lost back to what it was. It was starting to get boring but after this episode there is alot more they can explain. The next few episodes should be very interesting.
    With only four episodes left the story behind \"Henry Gale\" with have to be told.
  • Locke and the prisoner get locked in the hatch, while jack plays Sawyer in a high stakes card game.

AAAAAHHHHHH! this show never really goes anywhere! It only opens up many new mysteries, yet never fully answeres them. This episode, just reveals more mysteries. I have to say that this is the best episode in a long time, the ending ended in a cliffhanger twist, that wasnt surprising yet satisfying at the same time. OVer all it was a well written episode. Kudos to the writers for sticking in another great twist that will make me stick around for a little longer.
  • Henry Gale is gay?? Not that there is anything wrong with that!

I have a strong feeling Henry Gale is gay and that is what he was hiding from them. He even kinda eluded that to Locke when he said you have to protect me no matter what. He also has constantly challenged Locke and Jack's relationship with each other, asking why do you let him talk to you like that. I Gale and his "wife"(commonly used in reference to a gay lover) use to argue all the time, and that is why he is asking Locke why he lets Jack treat him that way. I also think he never pushed that button, I think it was too late by the time he got there, because they got pretty low in the countdown before but food was never dropped off.I think that will be the thing that he tells Locke, that his botton is useless. All in all it was a regular good episode but not as special as I thought it would be. The show is still one of my favorites. Oh and a side note I hope that I'm wrong because I don't want the show to become this predictable.
  • Strong since the BEginning, Only the Flashbacks are the Weak point!!!

From the Writers/Perspective:

Another Satisfatory episode, sicen the producers decided to reveal the truth about Henry Gale, so how could they bring this ia a great way and make a twist? The first Scene is Strong, When Sayid and Cia found the Ballon.

The endind is strong either, since nobody expected Sayid to found out the truth the way he did.

With a beginning and a ending planned, the hard part was to make a interesting event in the Island.

The Lockdown make this interesting and because locke is inside the Hatch, he is the Main Character and we have another Locke sequel of Flashbacks.

Other mini Events just are there to distract.

My Point of View:

This episode is very interesting, with a both strong beginning and ending.

The Lockdown is intriguing and the Locke situation is interesting to see, since Locke's legs are trapped under one of the blast doors and he have to trust Henry.

OVerall, this episodes builds up you trust regarding Henry Gale since the beginning of this episode, and the Lockdown only favor him. The Lockdown place another mystery and a amazing ending make this episode deserve at least a 9. Only the flashbacks are not strong, since this Locke drama about his father became tiring and repetitive.
  • Henry Gale

Al final Henry no es Henry. Su cuerpo era el enterrado, y entonces... Seguramente este hombre está ahí por una razón (será sacar a John de quicio y ponerlo en contra de Jack?) y no va a vacilar en hacer lo que fue a hacer cueste lo que cueste. Por qué no apretó el botón? Si no lo hizo por qué luego (como se verá) se lo dijo a John? Por qué no los emboscó como había predicho? Por qué no se escapó? Qué es eso que Locke vió en la pared? Seguramente sea algo demasiado real, demasiado irreal como todo en esta isla.
  • a good episode

A good episode this one. The island mystery plot is fulfilled, so is the caracter plot (here Locke). There's romance and comedy, adventure and thrill. The homosexual subtext in the dialogues between Sawyer and Jack playing poker is quite genious, and ambiguous enough to keep narrow-minded viewers in oblivion. Of course Jack and Kate are meant to be but the writers may want to push the Jack-Sawyer romance to the limits, that would be interesting. Either way, they are on this island for months now, so what the heck are they waiting for ?! It's barely human! It won't save this season from mediocrity though...
  • OK, now this is more like it.

A Locke episode.

Big stuff doing here.

First off, I have to say that maybe the flashbacks have run their course. At least for Locke, anyway. I'm beginning to wonder where this change in his personality took place. Not only is he duped AGAIN by his loser dad, this time the cost is a lifetime with Peg Bundy. That is not a good trade. I was hoping that this one would explain just how he was crippled but no such luck. Again, I'm thinking they might be wasting time on the little things. We get it, he got screwed over. Let's move on.

Either way, I don't want to see his Pop again unless he's in cahoots with Sawyer on a con. So now we finally know the secret of Henry Gale. Can't say I was that surprised. But we're still left with the why. Why would he send the three of them out into the jungle knowing that the truth really was out there under a pile of stones? Is it possible that the set up he was hoping for didn't really happen for some reason? Or was his capture deliberately planned as part of a bigger plan? Like, does it have to do with the controlled food drops? Or maybe our heroes are in possession of something they don't even know they have. Or maybe the Others just hated "Henry" and wanted him out.

Some observations:

* CROSSOVER ALERT: Sayid's lover was the one whose house was inspected by Locke.

* This lockdown…I'm thinking that it has to do something with the restocking of the food. Perhaps "Henry" knew this ahead of time and hoped to gain their trust so he could go rummaging during the chaos.

* "When I want the guns, I'll get them."

* Tell me you didn't jump when the doors slammed on Locke's legs and you're lying.

* "Want me to get a ruler?"

* The map…so much good stuff there. Who the hell would've expected that one? Once again, they follow the standard of answering a question and posing a thousand more. Thank you Entertainment Weekly for blowing it up for us since TiVo couldn't really give us a clear shot of it.

A few quick notes about this map -
    o The big ? in the center can't possibly be a good thing, can it? On the Lost page on TVGuide.com, it lists the name of an upcoming episode as "?". Good to know we won't have to wait long.
    o It looks as if one hatch did exist and now doesn't. Could that have been the place where the Tailies took refuge? We never really explored that
    o There are three different styles of handwriting on the door. Just how many people worked on this thing? And who was the first? And how can we get those doors down again?
    o Who turned on the black light so Locke could see it? Was it "Henry"? If so, why?

* I'm hoping that Locke pulls a Michael Corleone on "Henry" and turns his back on him like he did Fredo. He can't possibly defend this guy anymore.

* I still think that the French chick is in on something…Just what, I have no idea.

* Why hasn't Kate told Jack about the box o' beards she saw in the medical hatch with Claire?

* Where is Michael and Walt? BTW, saw Walt on "My Name is Earl" this week and it looks like he's four inches taller since he left. Wish they never would've casted a kid in the first place. Can't wait to hear the explanation.

* Where's Eko when all this is happening? Glad to see he's finally back next week.

NEXT WEEK: Hurley's in the limelight…
  • At last, a great season 2 ep!!!

Ok, so i've not been the biggest fan of season 2 so far. Too many left over questions from season 1 that remain unanswered for my liking.

But, this ep at last starts to reveal some new plotlines that may just turn the season around for me.

Up till now Mr Eko was my fave of this season, but this may well have done it!

Good work
  • Lockdown is what Lost needs after a lull period.

Definitely one of the better episodes seen in season 2. Before the Lockdown episode it was rather dull, none of those thrills that caught all of us when Lost was first aired.
    Am glad to have found the 'Henry Gale' caught red-handed, never really trusted him in the first place.
    Now all we need to know, who IS that weirdo guy, and what on earth was that bizzare diagram-like shown on before Locke?
    A better episode. Let's hope the next episode would be as good as it was before.
  • A jaw-dropping end to a turbulent ride of trust and deception. We find more about the troubling relations between Locke and his father, while Locke finds help in the most surprising place, his captive.

This weeks plot was almost poetic. Locke's legs being crushed by the doors seemed so appropriate to the development of the story. As to his backstory, I thought that segment of the episode was weak. I think it would've been better if we finally found out how he was first hurt. But I trust in Damon to give us an even better medium to explalin that story. I felt all the information revealed in his backstory was stuff we already knew about and it didn't need reiteration.

Sawyer and Jack were classic Sawyer and Jack. I'm just glad we got an almost Jack and Locke tension free episode, because their old couple power bickering is bothering me.

As for the notorious Henry Gale I felt so confident by the end of the episode of his innocense. I was so sure that if he was an other he would of run away or try to hurt Locke even more, but he was so kind and so friendly that I did not think it possible that he was decieving us. An I was absolutley stunned at the revelation of his lies. I like Locke put my trust in him and was crest-fallen to see that it was wrongly placed. But at least we have a conclusive answer now, and finally a hint to what is going on after all these weeks.

Overall, I had higher expectations that what was delivered. This is a case where the teaser is more exciting than the actual episode. So hopefully I will place my hopes more discretly next week.
  • Who else went back to freeze-frame on the map? :-D

Hopefully it wasn't just me being geeky, but I just had to go back and take another look. Even on a non-HD TV it's relatively clear. Very intriguing, and more so after I found someone had done a high-res screen cap, followed by someone else who'd gone to the trouble of identifying all the text, and translating all the latin.

After all the mid season breaks I can't believe that there will be a gap between the next 2 eps and the season finale. What are they playing at??
  • looks like henry gale isn't really henry gale

great episode. we're led to believe that henry gale really is who he is saying as they find the parachute and the grave. the hatch suddenly does something strange as steel doors are put into place preventing locke from going anywhere. henry and locke try and lift up one of the hatch doors and as locke tries to slide underneath, it crushes his leg. henry is forced to go through the air vents to push in the code. locke sees something different on the steel door. why didn't he look at the other steel doors too? there could have been crap written on them.
  • Back on track, for now

This episode will hopefully get the show moving again, after a slow start to season 2, and endless reruns. It still bugs me that entire episodes go by without even an appearance by some of the main characters. Even if they're not part of the featured story, at least check in with them every week!

I didn't recognize Nadia, and missed the possible links between Locke and Sawyer, as well as the appearances of the Dharma doctor and Henry Gale in earlier episodes (when Hurley visited the mental hospital). I'll have to play closer attention!

The poker game between Jack and Sawyer was a nice touch, with Jack's "poker in Phuket" background catching Sawyer off guard. I wonder if we'll find out more about Jack's previous travels.

Hopefully Lost will keep some momentum going through the end of the season.
  • Was this a Sawyer Locke Connection???

This was yet another captavating episode. It was to be revealed what the Locke/Sawyer connection would be in this episode. Could Locke's father be the one that Sawyer stole his identity from. Could he not be the man that was suppossed to be in the car that was outside Sawyer's girlfriends house when he conned her? Was Sawyer not "working" with someone? Did the silver car that Locke's father was driving not seem familiar to anyone else??? Also,the room where Locke's saftey deposit box was also looked a lot like the one that Kate had robbed. I look forward to seeing more lives being somehow connected.
  • ANOTHER GREAT ONE!

You no wen you watch a show and half way through the second series you start to realise, this show used to be better?? well lost is in no way like that. this is another of those crazy episdoes that leaves you counting the hours til 9PM next wednesday with many twists along the way and on huge cliffhanger. this is what makes lost such a great show!
  • Wow I cant belive how great this epidsode was!

Wow. I can see why ABC was holding this episode for awhile. Most times the good stuff never happens till the end of the show but they threw everything out in the first 10 mins. "Henry Gale" is definatly not a good man. Just seeing the image of different chambers on the blast doors gave me a sense that there is more to this island then the castaways know.
  • Only one word: "Wow..."

A huge improvement over the previous episode brought the answers that we had been waiting for. Henry Gale IS.. one of them. Sayid was the hit character of this episode, especially when he was speaking to Henry about that fact that the real Henry Gale was buried up in the ground, not his wife.
    The lockdown was brilliant, no one was expecting it. The hatch tried to take a life of it's own. When John's leg was crushed, all he had was Henry, who helped him. This was just another way to prove his innocence.
    The John flashbacks which were obviously at least 5 years before the island were interesting. John's father appeared to be dead, but shockingly he was alive, and was running from two men to whom he took them for a retirement con.
    John's bad decisions lead to him loosing Helen and his father. She was right, there is no love between Anthony and John. Then on the island with Ana-Lucia, Charlie and Sayid finding the balloon and the grave, wow, I thought it was true myself. But the shocking, most wicked ending of an episode reveals the truth. At least they didn't make us wait until next week. More mysteries lead us to believe, who is this man who claimed to be Henry, why did food arrive on the island during the lockdown and what was this ? sign during the blur lights?
    More, more, more...

Overall, a brilliant episode with action and many answered questions. What is to be done about the fake Henry?
  • Locke down in the Hatch

For some reason John puts his trust in the prisoner Henry and seeks his help when the hatch door locks them in. When Locke gets trapped under the door it crushes his legs and he needs Henry to push the button before the time runs out. Henry is unconscious on the floor but wakes up in time to get to the computer to push the button or so we think. While trapped under the door John sees the whole room turns blue and on the wall above him is a map. Jack and Kate come across a pallet of food that seemed to appear out of nowhere. Ana Lucia, Sawyer, and Charlie find the balloon Henry was talking about however they discover that Henry is not who he says he is. They found the real Henry's body buried beneath the balloon.
  • This episode was a great momentum to a semi-great season. I really suspect that Lost is going to end with a bang. Very eye-opening, and the beginning of a great conclusion for this season.

So I just watched this episode, right, and found the uv hieroglyph on the door of the thing to be quite interesting. I'm wondering though if Henry actually hit the countdown button as the whole concept seems rather fishy. Why that series of numbers, over and over again...and what happens if someone missed it.

The finding of food supplies seems to be the most interesting of the events this episode, and lends to those that believe that the "Others" are just like them, and they have all been forced onto this island as test subjects to a Umbrella-type corporation (Dharma) seeking a place to practice unregulated eugenics.

The details add more to Locke's past then was originally fortold, and hindsight's twenty twenty as to whether Locke will have another.

All in all, a great ep.