Lost

Meet Kevin Johnson

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Mar 20, 2008 on ABC

• about the episode

It had great sound mixing.
  • Some really important stuff in this episode about the ethos of the programme. A shocking ending but the revelations about why Michael is there is the most revealing and shocking stuff here.

I really enjoyed this episode. Beautifully shot and scripted as always with perfect musical choices. Using 'It's Getting Better' was an excellent choice of dark sad pathos. The revelation that Michael is there because he can't kill himself because the island won't let him till he has finished the work he must do is pivotal. It turns on its head the idea of death on the island being to do with redemption as it seems it is more like they must forfill some sort of destiny first. The ending of this episode is pretty abrupt but shocking and will leave you guessing. It will also make you, well I will, cry if it means we don't get to hear Rousseau's story. The acting in this episode is
    absolutley perfect as usual.
  • This episode was amazing. I loved how they showed what happened to Michael after he took off with the boat in Season 2. so screw all guys who disliked it because it was Awesome!

This episode was amazing. I loved how they showed what happened to Michael after he took off with the boat in Season 2. so screw all guys who disliked it because it was Awesome! I cant believe two main characters died in the end, I mean thats what makes this show very intense and exciting. People who give LOST episodes very low ratings make me really mad! because every episode of LOST is awesome and they work really hard on them soo come on guys? why do you have to be soo lame. show some support. and give it good ratings so people who see these reviews in real life could see them soo we can convert them to watching this show so people can see its amazingness.
  • Ben is one bad mamma-jamma

I totally believe that the writers for this show deserve every red cent they fought for and then some. The character of Ben is one of the most well written I've seen in a long time. The fact that he not only got Micheal back into his clutches but smugly told him that it was his only way to redeem himself for what he did! Talk about classic mind-job and how about the fact that he tested his loyalty by setting up a fake bomb. Amazing! I loved watching the episode with Michael unfold and even played a few parts back on my DVR just to be sure I understood the tie in. The absolutely crazy part for me was the fact that Sied (sp?) told the ship captain that "KJ" wasn't really who he says he is, yet we've already gotten a foreshadowing that Ben gets him in his clutches at some point as well and he winds up killing his girlfriend and getting stitched up by Ben in a Vet Hospital - great TV!
  • Flashbacks reveal what Michael did after he left, and revealed his mission to Sayid and Desmond. Ben urges Alex to leave for the Temples with Karl and Danielle.

One the best episodes ever, very revealing. So Michael can't die, the island won't let him, interesting concept. I started to figure out when this was taking place, cause I always assumed Season 3 had to begin after October 27th 2004, cause Ben mentions to Jack that Red Sox won the world series (I still cringe over that one.), but it also seems this boat left like two weeks ago. Anyways timing aside, it was nice to have Tom back, and see that he had a lover when he comes to the rest of the world.

The scene with Michael's mother and what exactly happened was great, we now know Walt is safe, and that we probably won't have to deal with his character's age thing just yet.

I am still so confused about what exactly happens to people when the approach/leave the island. Michael and Walt had no problems, neither did Tom, but Juliet needed a sedative, and people on the freighter are going nuts.

So Ben's mission for Michael is to sabotage the boat, which now explains why the engines failed, we can clearly see that Ben knows he is not ready to kill again since he saw Libby in the hospital, but what does Ben have planned for Michael, it seems like a lot more than we know.

Now Sayid's future was explained he reveals the news to the captain, and this is why he works for Ben in the future, he sabotages his friends and the island.

Now on to the cliffhanger, someone (I don't believe it was the boat people) killed Karl (my new favorite character and OTH alum) and Danielle, but spared Alex for now at least. I think it had to be Ben's people, to make sure that Danielle (who he doesn't trust) and Karl (who he is afraid will impregnate his his "daughter" and in essence kill her) did not reach the temple, but she did udder that line, but I think it was to throw us off the trail. Defiantely a great episode, would have been a great finale if it needed to be, can't wait til the show returns in a month.
  • Everything about Kevin Johnson

A superb Michael-centric episode,the episode that we have all been waiting for delivers what it promises.
    I loved the flashback, we learned what happened to him. He followed Ben's instructions and managed to go back home. There, he has a miserable life after he tells Walt that he is a murderer. Walt does not want to be around him anymore. Michael continuously attempts to kill himself, but he always remains alive. In one of his attempts, Tom appears telling him that the island won't let him die,and that he has work to do. That's how he got a fake identity and travel along with the freighter-crew. Ben wanted him to kill everyone on-board.
    Back on the island, Ben sends Danielle,Karl and Alex to the temple in order to be safe. On their way to the temple, Karl and Danielle are being shot from people we don't see!
    Interesting flashback and great ending!
  • great episode

Michael is suffering from guilt for murdering ana lucia and libby. He tries to commit suicide, but he survives. Back at the island barracks, Ben tells Alex of an impending attack, he urges her to go to a part of the island that is safe. Sayid and Desmond interrogate Michael. We get to see a flashback of what happened to Michael after he betrayed his fellow survivors. It's a really interesting episode, the Michael episode explains a lot of what happened to him. We get to see Walt quite a bit. The writers really made this episode interesting, i can't wait for the next one.
  • wow. really good!! ending was alright could have been better

i loved the music through out this, and a come back of old tunes. it was well written and showed what mr. dawson has been doing since he got off the island. thought sayid was a bit of an idiot for ratting out Micheal but thats the story. the flag popping out was funny. i loved the music through out this, and a come back of old tunes. it was well written and showed what mr. dawson has been doing since he got off the island. thought sayid was a bit of an idiot for ratting out Micheal but thats the story. the flag popping out was funny.
  • LOST Season 4 " Meet Kevin Johnson" (oilers spay) good episode left alot of questions, but was pretty interesting especially the 2nd half of the show.

Wow, that was kind of interesting eventhough now I'm more confused than I ever was about who is really good and who is really the bad people we can't trust. I think that is cool, you don't know who you're pulling for, with the exception of a few of the people in the island.

It took me a while to realize it was a flash back and not a flash foward with Micheal and Walt. That makes me wonder what will happen to them. They should have had Sayid try to blow up the boat, sorry that was the first and last innapropriate suicide bomber joke. He iwas in the Republican Guard for Saddam you know. Speaking of Sayid what the hell is his problem, why wouldn't he wait to see if this was going to help him. He might have put himself and Desmond in danger too, and doesn't he care that he pretty much is goign to get Micheal killed and Walt won't have a Dad. Maybe this is how Micheal will die, who knows. How did Walt get back on the island? I can't wait to find that out since Locke has seen him. He was back after the boat took them back and Micheal is back on the boat but will Tom take him back? Is he dead? Is that his ghost? Was that small casket his? I don't know because his grandma would have gone if it was his caskett and if Micheal was already dead. I also wanted to state I knew it was Tom by his voice and the fact it had his character listed in this episode on www.tv.com I didn't know Tom was gay kind of seemed to be put in there for no reason, I have nothing against it but it had nothing to do with the story. I guess it was just more background of his character and who he is.

Finally the end... what the hell is going on. I personally think Ben is the shooter. He took out Carl, Ben gave a look when Carl had his hand on his daughter's butt. Carl was killed that was shocking but not a big deal, but Danielle, she has been there over 16 years and it sucks that's how she died, but I can see Ben killing her, he has no loyalty to her. That is why Alex was the only one to live, I don't know why she yelled that she was Ben's daughter after he told her that they would kill her if they knew who she was. Maybe she was grief stricken since her mom and her boyfriend were just gunned down.
  • Michael is back, and his episode was great too.

Alright, haven't reviewed a LOST episode in a very long time, but I thought it was necessary to review the mid-season finale that I must say WAS NOT intended to be a mid-season finale because S4 was originally planned to go 16-straight episodes without a break. Well the strike ruined that, and it's UNFORTUNATE people are reviewing this episode as a true mid-season finale...because it wasn't supposed to be.

With that said, this was my favorite episode out of the first 8 episode. The Constant is very close though I might add.

Basically this episode was a flashback showing what happened to Michael after he left. While on the boat, or when Walt and Michael got back to NYC Michael told Walt he had killed Ana-Lucia and Libby. Now Walt hates Michael and Walt now lives with his grandma.

Michael wants to commit suicide. BUT the island won't let Michael kill himself according to Tom aka Mr. Friendly. Tom meets with him, and eventually convinces Michael to go to Fiji to board the freighter...the one that's near out island.

Before Michael goes on the boat though, he wants to find out how 815 was found in the ocean. Tom tells that Widmore is behind the cover-up. Widmore got all those dead bodies from Thailand. I believe Tom. Widmore IS the bad guy.

So Michaels on the boat. We see him meet Naomi, George and Miles. He also gets a visit from Libby who tells Michael "don't do it", talking about pushing a button that would blow up the freighter. The bomb though, was a fraud. Ben wants Michael to kill the freighties, but not the innocent people.

Back to the NOW time. Sayid is disgusted Michael is working for Ben(which is funny because we know sayid works for him in the future), so Sayid takes Michael into the Captains office...and tells him Michael isn't who he says he is.

Meanwhile, earlier in the ON ISLAND beginning Ben tells Alex to got to THE TEMPLE where the Others are. Danielle, and Karl go as well. At the end of the episode Karl is shot and killed by an unconfirmed person(My bet is Omar from the freighter...or just a random freghtie). Danielle tells Alex to run with her...unfortunately Danielle is shot. We have no idea if she's dead. The episode ends with Alex getting up, putting her hands in the air saying "I'M BENS DAUGHTER"...probably indicating it's the freghties....and they'll use Alex as a tool to get Ben.

Great episode. Glad Michaels back!!! Can't wait for April 24th!!!
  • In this well-drawn tale, the reveals aren't huge, but it's worth it to slow down reinvest in one of Lost's most missed characters.

No, this episode doesn't confirm the wild time-advances-quicker-off-the-island theories. Nor do we see a super-tall, older Walt. Yes, Libby's appearance is probably just a Smokey vision, and, no, it doesn't further the mystery of the three faces of Libby (islander, mental patient, and boat loaner). Yes, there are moments of Michael's story that are a little pedantic.

Yet, this is still a series highlight, mostly because it tells such a compelling story about Michael, and because every scene feels just right. For the first time for me in an events-that-lead-up-to episode, the main character's motivations feel well-explained and well-justified every step of the way.

Also, in this episode, Tom really comes into his own as a character. He didn't do well in Season 3, playing secondbanana. Here, even though Ben's obviously calling the shots through Tom, the absence of Ben for most of the episode returned to Tom the authority and sinister charm he so easily commanded in Exodus and The Hunting Party.

This is one of those pleasureable episodes to watch because of what it confirms, or even rules out. It succeeds where Lost has failed for me before, in that it has characters discussing the events that are happening to them, positing theories about them, and then drawing conclusions. We have a really good sense, after this episode, of where each party stands, and what they're trying to achieve.

Finally, there was a truly shocking twist, with Sayid giving up Michael's cover.

I award this episode 5 out of 5 Smokies.
  • Michael!

Michael has a flashback of how he came to be on the boat. He has tried to commit suicide because Walt won't speak to him. Tom goes to him and has a mission for him: to go on a boat and kill everyone onboard. It's Charles Widmore's boat and he wants to find the island. Ben gives him further instructions.

Locke tells everyone at his camp about Charles' plan and Miles' plan. Ben tells Alex, Danielle and Karl to go the temple where she'll be safe. Sayid tells someone on the boat all about Michael.

This was a really good episode! It was interesting to learn what happened with Michael after he left. I don't know why Sayid spilled everything. I can't believe Karl and Danielle possibly died. This episode gets a 9.5 out of 10!
  • I enjoyed this episode a lot.

Michael's flashback: We find out that he got out of the island and that he told Walt that he killed Ana-Lucia and Libby. Wow, can someone get the award for father of the year? Well, without his son, he's ending up to be suicidal, but guess what? He can't die. Tom eventually spots him and they go through the whole talk and that's how Michael ends up on the ship. Of course I'm not saying everything, you'll have to watch it to find out. And trust me, you'll want to watch this episode.

Michael on the ship: Desmond and Sayid confront Michael and out him for who he truly is to the rest of the ships crew and all the wrong he has done. I was just thinking, "Wow, Sayid is really dumb isn't he?" At that very moment I wanted to throw Sayid off the ship.

Locke's Camp: Locke tells everyone that Ben is going to be helping them now and Ben doesn't hesitate to share what the people on the ship are planning to the with the island inhabitants along with the Oceanic 815 survivors. He gives Danielle, Alex and Karl directions to a safe house where, no matter what, they will be safe from the people on the ship.
  • What Happened to Michael? Find out here.

High expectations for this episode and they were met for the most part. Aside from some minor pacing issues, this was a darn fine episode of Lost. Much was revealed and more tension was built up for the next set of episodes to come in five weeks.

The episode begins with Sayid and Desmond confronting Michael.

It seems Michael and Walt made it back to NYC, and Michael is rather depressed. He gets in his car, pins a note to himself, and drives full speed into a shipping container. He survives and sees Libby as his nurse, but he is hallucinating. He tries to visit Walt who is living with his Grandma, but isn't allowed to go in, catching only a glimpse of him from the windom. Michael pawns the watch Jin gave him for a gun and bullets trying to kill himself again only to be interrupted by...Tom! They fight a bit, but Tom informs Michael that the island will not let him kill himself, and that he has work to do. Michael tries to shoot himself again, but the gun jams every time. Michael meets Tom and Tom's boyfriend (saw that coming a mile away) at a nice penthouse suite with Tom informing Michael that the Others need him to stop the freighter crew which will spare Ben, the Island, and redeem Michael for killing Ana Lucia and Libby by sparing everyone else. Michael relents and heads to Fiji to catch the boat. It is here he meets Naomi, Minkowski (who seemed really nice), Miles, and Lapidus. Miles is on to Michael's ruse, but doesn't care and Lapidus is aware of the truth behind 815 and knows Widmore hired him, but not why. While cleaning the deck, Michael sees the mercenaries ont the boat taking target practice, he asks why they are doing this if it's a rescue mission-they tell him to get back to work. Michael also received a box when he arrived on the freighter, a box with a heck of a lot of C4 explosive. When he tries to set it off, a flag appears and tells him "not yet". Minkowski summons Michael with word of a call from "Walt" when Michael takes it, he finds Ben on the other end who is impressed that he tried to detonate the bomb. He tells Michael that there are innocent people on the boat, and they deserve to be spared. He also tells Michael he is one of the good guys. When the flashback ends, Sayid hauls Michael to Captain Gault and tells him everything.

On the island Locke and company, Ben included, talk to Miles. Team Locke is rather worried about the impending attack. Ben gives Alex a map to the temple and tells her to go there with Rousseau and Karl. The three of them stop for a water break when they are attacked by a sniper. Karl is killed at once and Rousseau is killed trying to get Alex to safety. Alex surrenders and exclaims that she is Ben's daughter-episode ends.

Pretty intense at times, there was alot of information revealed. It was good to know what lead up to Michael being on the boat. Tom revealed (and showed proof) of how Widmore faked the 815 wreck in the ocean. He used bodies from Thailand, bought an old airplane, and put it in a place where nobody could fish out the bodies. This of course is all contingent upon the parties involved telling the truth, which in this case seems likely. Widmore has a lot to gain by faking the wreck.

Michael's flashback was very interesting and encompassed most of the show. Though the entire episode was paced slow, some parts were a little too slow. The ending was shocking and very exciting, the entire episode gave us something to look forward to.

Overall technically good-solid acting, writing, and directing. A slow pace isn't bad, but it went between slow and very slow which threw it off a bit. It's going to be a long five weeks, but I am sure it will be worth the wait.
  • A revealing episode...with an odd ending. And a prelude to the Zombie season.

We got a big answer in this episode – where Michael has been all this time. He was allowed to leave the island and go back home. But unbeknownst to him, it was only "shore leave". And it seems as though it was awfully short. Now, Ben is using Michael to stop Widmore from coming to the island. Or something. Last week we heard that Ben is the one who got the 324 dead bodies, and tonight Tom told us that it was Widmore. (And he's got pretty convincing proof, too.) But everyone involved in these shenanigans have proven to be untrustworthy, so I don't know who to believe just yet.

So, the ending. It seemed very abrupt to me, like the writers were writing away, looked at the clock, and said, "well, that's 42 minutes!" I know that's not the case, but Sayid turning Michael in, and Rousseau, Alex, and Karl in the jungle just seemed so out of place.

Speaking of Rousseau, Alex, and Carl – THAT was the death?! I was definitely expecting one of the original survivors to be killed, not Rousseau and Karl. (Ironically, it feels like a letdown, but in the long run I couldn't bear for another one of the Losties to die.) And Rousseau didn't even get a dramatic death. She took ONE step to run away with her daughter and got hit. At least Karl's water bottle got shot beforehand, which looked kinda cool. (But this pretty much means that Ben wanted those three dead. Who did he get to do his dirty work?)

Anyway, back to Michael. So he got home with Walt, and told him about killing Ana-Lucia and Libby. Now, Walt can't even look at his father, and Michael is being haunted by Libby (who's giving him some good advice, though). And, the Island won't let Michael kill himself, because he still has work to do. Even halfway across the world, people just can't escape the Island. Physically, they can, but not mentally. We're seeing this in the flash-forwards, as well.

I thought the Zombie Season wasn't until season 7?! A lot of dead people came back tonight. Libby, Naomi, Minkowski, Friendly… (and Friendly proved what he told us in 3.01, when he said to Kate, "you're not my type.") I wasn't expecting to see Libby, at least not in ghost form. I hope we get to learn more of her back story (I believe the writers have said that they do have plans for more Libby).

So, besides the odd ending, this episode has been on par with season four's awesomeness. Unfortunately we have to wait more than a month for a new episode. The countdown has already begun!
  • Always exciting!

Another great episode of this amazing show! Now we know the story of Michael and why he started working for Ben. The island is still very present in his life, in a way that he became kind of an "unbreakable", he survives a brutal car accident, and he tries to shoot himself the gun simply doesn't fire the bullet! This episode doesn't add almost anything in the present time but it helps by giving those old Michael questions some answers. Finally, it ends with the killing of Carl and Rousseau and with Ben's daughter in a bad situation... and we have to wait a month to know what's next!
  • Linus will find a way to get it.

I'll break this episode down much like I do any other - into three parts. The first being the first eight minutes of the island storyline, then Michaels backstory, followed by the ending island scenes and the cliffhanger we will be hanging on for 5 weeks as we wait for Lost season four to start back up again.

Once again - an episode in season four draws a low rating the night I watch it (9.2) but scores higher once I rewatch it. Going over the first part of the episode (setting up Micheals story, I thought was very well done. Loved the first scene with the team metting at Lockes residence with Ben coming clean to everyone about Michael. Good reaction from Sawyer - but no one else was really there to get upset about it. Would have liked to see hurley say a little something "No. No. No Way, No!" Something along those lines but changed a bit from the last time he said it. Overall though - great scene where Claire asks if Ben is now "One of Us", which is a very godo question at the moment. Switch over to Captain Gault anihilating someone trying to leave the ship. I think that actor is fantastic. He has a way about him that when he starts to yell it doesn't sound like hes going out of character. He has a very good leadership quality to him which makes him very believable when hes shouting out orders. Great production pick up there. Then Sayid "goes all Sayid" on Michael and we begin the flashback. Overall - solid 10/10 for the opening 8 minutes.

Flashback - Things I liked and didn't like. Didn't like that he was just "home" out of nowhere. Really needed to see him return in some way, shape, or form. I can understand the giant Walt argument, but give us a little indication of the island. Where did Michael sail into? He just sailed up to a port and went back to New York? How he got back home needed to be there and it wasn't. Scene with Michael trying to kill himself - amazing. Great music choice to be playing in the background with "Its getting better every day" - really liked it. So other then no rescue being shown the first 12 minutes had this episode still at a 10/10. Then it gets bumpy. Four minute scene with his mother came off as informative, but very boring. Didnt care for the mother playing his actress and the entire scene came off as a bit meh. He leaves there to buy and gun and meets Tom in alley. Back to amazing. Great choice of Tom and Michael to talk. Loved the fact Toms character is in fact gay in this episode, which was alluded to a long time ago but still...good to see them get back to it. Michael + Boat (around 28 minutes in) is where it got really meh. Didn't care for the trick with the bomb, though it set up a later scene really well. Sometimes I feel the writers draw out certain scenes. Why two-three minutes of Michael just trying to kill himself. I understand the hesitation, but why not push execute and have the flag come out right away? Why wait 15-20 seconds? The suspense isn't there no matter how hard you try to make the music seem like it is. Cutting out seconds like these could make for more packed and better paced episodes. MIchael talking with Keamy was cool, but came across as kind of a long, drawn out scene. Boat scene picked up again with Michael and Ben. Emerson just makes every actor better - loved that conversation. Flashback - overall solid, boring at some points though. At this point we are 36 minutes into the episode and I say I enjoyed about 26-28 minutes of the episode to this point.

Not too much left other then just two scenes now. Sayid becoming a G and turning Michael in was cool - but I did wonder the quick decision made by Sayid.I understand the Ben Linus hatred of Sayid, but with Micheals story I thought Desmond would have been like "Hey - Widemore is a bad dude" too. Quick decision, but it paid off. Loved Andrews acting there. Cliffhanger - Mira Furlan can't act. I'm sorry. Shes so plain, nothing exciting about her. She delievers her lines in the same way everytime. Karl and Danielle are shot by unknown people is a good cliffhanger - but the "emotion" and the dialouge weren't in that scene.

Overal, solid episode. Highest expectations so far and it did dissapoint on that level. However, solid 9.4 and in the better half of the season so far I think.
  • Very slow paced, but very informative and intriguing.

Great episode. And what a way to end the, now first half of, the fourth season.
    So we finally get to learn what happened to Michael after boating off from craphole island. His initial breakdown and suicide attempts confirm that leaving the island carries some "side effects" with it.
    I completely enjoyed the story telling of Michael in NY after coming "home". He's so desperate to end it all, kind of like Jack in the season 3 finale. It will be interesting to find out why. What is or was so terrible about the lies they all have to tell, that some want to take their own lives, just to stop it?
    I was slightly under impressed by the ending than what I was lead to believe. It was still an appropriate ending for the 'break' though. Danielle had better NOT be dead!
    Season 4, part 2, can't come soon enough.
  • Michael: Nobody even knows I'm here. Minkowski: Well, you're the only Kevin Johnson onboard, so somebody knows you're here. Said he really needs to talk to you. His name's walt.

Sayid confronts Ben's spy on the freighter, and Ben urges daughter Alex to flee Locke's camp in order to survive an impending attack. In flashbacks, we see what Michael has been doing since leaving the island and returning on the freighter. Ok the first time I saw this I was very dissapointed but after seeing The shape of things to come and rewatching it, the episode has got better to be honest, flashbacks were awesome but the island story was average, at first I did not like the ending, but now I understand what has happened I can accept what happened.
  • amazing

Some spoilers ahead: this episode kept me on the edge of my seat. The long awaited return of michael came, and as promised someone died. We start out with seeing Sayid and Desmond interrogating Michael wanting to know how he got on the boat. From there an intense story unwinds retelling how Michael got off the island, alienated his son, tried to kill himself and eventually was recruited as a spy for Ben. This episode was great with a truly shocking ending that got viewers excited for the next episode. Meet Kevin Johnson is a prime example of why I love this show.
  • Great episode to go to break to. Sayid confronts Michael about how he came to be on the boat. Michael's flashback shows him wanting to commit sucide, esstranged from Walt, and his fate by meeting Mr. Friendly, who offers him to go undercover on the boat.

Good episode and a great way to give Michael a intro back into the Lost mix. The new ideas that were presented in this episode open up a lot. The fact that the island can mess with you even after you have left is now confirmed with this episode after seeing Mike try to kill himself multiple times. I like Mr.Smiley coming back into relivence, but the writers "revealing" that he is homosexual was kind of random and irrelivent to the storyline. It will be interesting to see if Michael returns home to New York or goes back to the island. Either way we may see a return of Walt soon. The ending was somewhat disappointing. I like Danielle and Carl, yet I think both were good characters to kill off. Carl isnt that important. And Danielle lost her relivence after awhile. She has also been on long enough were we have a connection with her, yet she isnt a main character. We might see the character of Alex open up more in later episodes. Now she has to deal with the fac that the only person she has left in her life is Ben and she cant trust him. Good thing is some of the untold story lines were somewhat patched up and not many new questions were presented. Overall a good episode that made me excited going into the five week break that makes me want more.
  • If you don't know Kevin Johnson by now, you will never, never, never know him.

I had high expectations and they were met. Wouldn't put it in my top5, but top10 material for sure. So it gets a 10/10 from me.

It was very informative. Probably one of the most revealing hour of Lost to date. Now informative episodes tend to be dry as all you have is a bunch load of answers and no real action. But the writers did a very good job here: I wasn't bored at all, despite the episode being once again really slow paced.

The flashback took 90% of the airtime, and I loved that. I kind of expected it to happen. I prefer giant flashbacks over fragmented flashbacks if the writers want to tell us a story that keeps going on the same timeline - like in this case. I was hoping for a scene on the boat, but I understand it's a bit hard to pull off with giant Walt. So I'll give the writers more room on this topic.

Four main elements of the flashback:

Tom. I thought that he was brilliant, and the best Other to "bring back". Some people may complain that revealing he's gay was way too random, but I think it was a funny and cool moment. Sure it doesn't add the story but it adds some diversity to his character - I mean he won't have a flashback episode so why not develop him a little more in other characters' flashbacks? Plus his homosexuality was first hinted in 3x01, so it wasn't random at all.

The island. So the island won't let Mike kill himself? Interesting. I can already see all the discussion going on about "But how did Radzinsky die? Why did Ana Lucia and Libby die? Why did Randomperson53535 die?" It's similiar to "I think Aaron is Kate's constant! Jack must be Sawayer's constant!" The point is. Yes, we got a clue/puzzle piece but that doesn't mean we should try to explain every happening on the show with it. To me it seems that the island won't let people who can "help" the island die. Dunno - I guess we'll have to wait to find out.

Libby. Some wise guy spoiled her appearance on a blog, so it wasn't much of a shock for me, but if I didn't know I'm sure I would've been surprised. But even those short appearances were great - the island communicating with Michael? Or just his conscience?

The freighter. It was nice to see how it all started. I also loved how the writers developed Minkowski's character a bit - he seemed like a really nice guy, so it's a shame he died. The bomb was hilarious, I half expected the flag say "BANG!" but "Not yet" was just as freaky. I liked Ben's speech with Michael. So Ben is the good guy afterall?

Or not.

To me, the most shocking part was the ending. It just made me feel sick. The last time I had this was when Michael shot Ana and Libby. This wasn't the same caliber(Karl is a misc character and Danielle wasn't much developed either) but the way it happened - oh my god. It was so sudden. The way the scene transformed from a light hearted scene to a life/death situation was incredibly well done.

I thought the "LOST" logo came in just in the right moment. The scene was cut BEFORE it was supposed to(I knew they wouldn't show the attackers, but still, normally it would last a bit longer) but this way it made feel really disorianted, and I guess that was the point.

So who were the attackers?

Most likely this is the errand Frank talked about at the start of "Ji Yeon", but it very well could be Ben's arrangement. It's just something that we'll have to wait with until the next episode.

Another cliffhanger - much milder, but still interesting - Sayid telling everything about Michael to the captain. I kind of expected the captain say " I know. " but now I'm not sure.

Anyhow - excellent episode, a very informative piece with a huge shock in the end - perfect combination. I can't wait until the next episode, but unfortuantely it's weeeeeeeks away.
  • A much needed episode that was not that exciting but the ending really cranked it up a notch!

So Michael...uh...I mean Johnson, Kevin Johnson is back and he's an invicible spy on the freighter, who like Ssyid will one day, works for Ben! After Sayid encounters Michael, the story of how Ben's spy got to the freighter is finally revealed. The only thing I didn't like was Sayid telling the captain about Michael. What happens next? Back at Locke's camp, Ben sends his daughter, Alex, to a safer place so that she may survive an approaching attack. And is Ben right. As Karl is shot, Rousseau and Alex make a run for it but as soon as Rousseau gets up, she is shot as well. Which although is sad because I like her, it was kind of funny when she said: One, two, three...then got shot. It then ends with Alex saying: Stop, I'm Ben's daughter! Yeah like that's gonna help you now. These people are after Ben!!

The Shape of Things to Come is set to be a brilliant episode. Can't wait!
  • Highly Underrated Episode

I started watching Lost a few months ago on Netflix, shortly after finishing 24. Ever since the end of Season 1, Michael and Walt have been my favorite characters. I find their relationship touching, with Michael willing to do ANYTHING for Walt, even murder.

This episode is basically one giant flashback telling us what Michael has been doing since the end of Season 2, since he was absent in all of Season 3 and up until last episode this season. It's believable how the others played off of Michael's emotions and suicidal additude.

For those complaining about it being unrealistic, well was Lost ever realistic? Mysterious island? Pandas? Polar bears? Horses? Ability to see the future (later revealed to be time travel)...seriously, it's Sci-Fi with hints of Realism. And it's insanely entertaining.

Michael's return is awesome. This is a very underrated episode and it answers the main question that has been on my mind since the end of Season 2: what the hell happened to Michael and Walt?

Great episode, highly underrated.
  • Meet Kevin Johnson

A powerful episode here where we saw Ben try to protect his daughter Alex from the impending attack. We saw the Ben character really become three dimensional for his relationship with his daughter and it was one of the most shocking moments in show history, one of the few good ones after Season 1, when she ended up dying.

We knew Kevin Johnson would end up being Michael, but that does not mean this was not a good moment in the show. His exit from Lost was disappointing and I kind of wish he would could have stayed around for a long time.
  • Superb Episode, filled with information and a hugh shock in the End!!!!

Plot Details/Objective -» If there is one character that needed a flashbacks, this person was Michael, he was the first one to left the Island and his destiny was unknown until this episode. They writers function is was tie what happened to him after he left the Island, with the Island plot, I mean, he need to have a good reason to go back to the Island and help is formers friend´s and that reason was easy to create – Guilt and His Son.

What I Like/Disliked -» Michael Flashbacks Scenes. The ending. Sayid attitude was unexpected.

Overall:

Presentation -» (8/10). Locke tribe interaction was a good way to start and make answer to Sayid was more vague than possible. Details -» (9/10). Michael FB was filled with information on what happened to him, Tom, why he wasn´t successful in committing suicide etc.

Cliffhanger/Ending -» (10/10). Not only the ending is mysterious, but it has a shock value.

Flashbacks -» (9/10). Michael FB was very informative and funny when he tried to kill himself. The only way to you don´t like Michael FB is to hate the character for what he did before.

Time and Scenes Management -» (10/10). All the necessary scenes was there, very hard to notice that scenes that bought time.

Dialogues -» (10/10) -» It feels like the all necessary dialogues were there.

Action /Adventure -» Wasn´t necessary, you have a little fight, but only for details.

Drama/Emotions -» (7/10). Not that type of episode, that you can really care for the character drama, but was not bad Michael suicidal tendency.

Suspense/Tension -» (6/10). Since you don´t care for Michael and you know that he is alive, you simple don´t feel tension when he tries to suicide.

Mystery/Curiosity/Doubts/Hints -»(10/10). You have enough revelation, hints, and Lost mythology.

Surprise/Twists -» (10/10). Tom and Libby appearance and the two surprising endings was a great surprise.

This episode is a great, and a great way to make you wait for what will happen until Lost episodes returns. This is why I rated it 9. This flashback is very informative and a huge shock in the end, which is a perfect combination for an episode of Lost.
  • Meet Michael Dawson... again.

I find it interesting that the much more eventless "Ji Yeon" is rated 0.2 higher on TV.com than "Meet Kevin Johnson". Admittedly, it wasn't a fast paced episode either, but it was long awaited, and it did start up a major arc that will dominate the episodes to come.

Michael's return in the previous episode wasn't much of a surprise so I'm glad the writers didn't wait any longer than a half an episode to tell us what happened to him after he left the island with Walt.

This is yet another "giant-flashback" episode, like "Flashes Before Your Eyes" or "The Other 48 Days", but personally, just like with those episodes, I didn't feel bored. At all. In fact, I was moved and on the edge of my seat. I loved who Michael became - and why. I'm very glad that the writers didn't forget about him killing Ana and Libby - I loved how the consequences of his murders were the driving motive to make him go back to the island and save his friends.

His guilt over what he done was very realistic, and telling Walt was a huge mistake but also very understandable. And it makes sense that Walt distances himself from Michael - which for him, means that he has nothing else to live for which drives him to attempt suicide. But apparently, he can't kill himself, because he got work to do - at least according to Tom(but it seems very likely). Weather this is because the island is *that* strong or it's because something scientefic(time travel? If Michael went back to the past, and once lived in the future, it's obvious he can't kill himself until he "catches up", because there are not alternate timelines on the show) it was a very intriguing reveal. And Tom - awesome. Loved to see him come back! Oh and Tom's gay - that explains why Kate isn't his "type"(from S3 premiere). Some people complained that it was over the top, but I mean, why? Would it make much of a difference if he kissed a woman? I liked it this way, and it was a cool comic relief too.

The way Michael got on the freighter was cool but what I found cooler was the freighties. Especially Minkowski - he seemed to be a really nice guy, what a shame he's dead. I also enjoyed Keamy and the rest of the mercs. Surely they only got a brief scene but it was very good, it was the final push to convince Michael that Widmore's group is up to no good.

Michael was ready to kill everyone including himself on the boat, but Ben wasn't. I loved that, despite how evil Ben can be, he wouldn't be able to sacrafice innocent people's lives. That 's the difference between him and Widmore, he says. And how true is it.

The episode's cliffhanger: Rousseau and Karl gets gunned down by Keamy and co - wow. Again, many people disliked this, but I thought it was amazing. They are at war, and war means causilites. Not just red shirts, but major characters too. On a whole this was a very good episode, but it was servicable, for sure. For starters, certain scenes just seemed to go on forever on the freighter. Michael cleaning, then looks at the bomb... continues cleaning. Looks at the bomb again... cleans. Talks to Keamy.... walks back... looks at the bomb......looks..... opens it. The whole bomb was set up to be very suspensful but it wasn't: we already knew it wouldn't blow up.

So yeah, that's the main reason I can't give this any higher than a respectable 9. It was great, but could've used a little more plot in the middle.
  • There we go back on track In my opinion.Spoilers

This episode was better then last weeks thats for sure.Sayid presses Michael to tell what has happened with him since he left the island. In a long flashback, Michael is in despair in Manhattan, since Walt refuses to talk to him after discovering the truth about the deaths of Ana Maria and Libby. When Michael decides to commit suicide in an alley, he is saved by Tom Friendly that convinces him to work infiltrated in the Kahana to save the lives of the survivors in the island. Michael commits sabotage in the radio room and in the engine of the vessel following direct orders of Ben. After the explanations, Sayid delivers the traitor to Captain Gault. Meanwhile in the island, Ben is released by Locke and convinces Alex, Karl and Rousseau to leave the camp and move to a hidden sanctuary.

In this episode, the saga of the despicable Michael is disclosed. The loser character betrayed his friends and killed Libby and Ana Maria in the island; lost the love and respect of his son; is unable to commit suicide; works for Ben; and betrays the Owner, the Captain and the crew of the supply vessel Kahana. It is impressive how destructive this character is, even full of good intentions. Locke is completely insane releasing Ben, but the greatest surprise is the calm behavior of Sawyer, passively accepting the command of Locke and the manipulation of Ben. The tragic fate of Karl, Rousseau and Alex is the great surprise of this episode. However, it seems totally out of the context and unnecessary to expose Tom as a gay Is it a side effect of the great loss of audience?
  • I Dont Know How To Say This...

I dont know what to say about this episode. Some parts were good and others were bad. I mean the story with Michael was rushed so much and the ending was so stupid! Plus, Sayid telling the freighter people about Michael, it's not like Sayid has ever done anything wrong! Also, why have they made Tom gay They just made him look stupid! But then this episode gave us some anwsers too, which was good. I have seen alot better episodes in this season but I have seen worse too. But I can't believe they have killed Danielle, I wanted to know about her story and she is an awesome character. I cant wait until LOST comes back on but I just hope what we seen in this episode this will hopefully change like, Danielle is not dead! I really hope so!
  • Lost tries to keep a balance between rules of physics and phenomenons of metaphysics.

Lost tries to keep a balance between rules of physics and phenomenons of metaphysics. To name a few we have the monster (black smoke), the healing forces of the island, premonitions, characters foreseeing events before they happen. Now we have a new circumstance added to this, which is, that good people leaving the island are unable to die or at least unable to kill themselves. Could that be the reason to the frustration of Jack and Hurley? In my humble opinion trying to explain psychical events with the rules of physics makes lost so interesting. Just thinking of magnetic waves, relativity theory etc.
    My premonition is that we will have more of that stuff in future episodes. :) Patience to everyone until next episode.
< 1 2 3