Lost

Meet Kevin Johnson

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Mar 20, 2008 on ABC

• A Michael-centric episode.

Let me just start out by saying that I didn't like this episode at all since I absolutely hate the character Michael and he's my least favorite character on the show. I was glad when he left in season two, and I would have preferred to have never seen him again on Lost. The show was doing just fine this season without him, and I don't see why it was necessary to bring him for anymore episodes, let alone this episode. In closing, I absolutely hated the story line for this episode and this episode as whole. That being said, I'm really looking looking forward to watching the rest of season four of Lost.
  • my classification is based specially for the end of the episode wich made no sense to me honestly and also I think that the explanation of how and why michael was on the boat was pretty lame they could have come up with something better.

my classification is based specially for the end of the episode wich made no sense to me honestly and also I think that the explanation of how and why michael was on the boat was pretty lame they could have come up with something better. Hopefully they;ll make it up. my classification is based specially for the end of the episode wich made no sense to me honestly and also I think that the explanation of how and why michael was on the boat was pretty lame they could have come up with something better. Hopefully they'll make it up. Peace
  • Meet Mr BORING!!!

Meet Mr BORING!!! Apart from the fact that the whole episode was a snoooooozer . . . WHO CARES? All I have to say right now is that I really don't give a toss for this Michael character. He bores the begonias out of me. His whole story is boring. What on earth are they doing? Stalling? Running out of ideas? How on earth are they going to put this whole mess together? The whole story slowly turns into my childhood bedroom … into CHAOS. Nothing makes sense anymore. Nothing is believable anymore, and it is clear we have to do with the paranormal. THAT alone took half my interest away. What was exciting with this series was all the SCIENTIFIC explanations to all the weird stuff going on in the island. Now it is just another mumbo jumbo story with a couple of good episodes and a dozen boring ones like this one. Ursh … I'm annoyed.
  • Disappointing and not very believable episode. Michael's history is far too stretched (time-wise) and nothing much is happening but in the last 5 minutes.

Decided to do this review with spoilers so beware. Will warn before them.
    For those who like the Michael character it's a heavenly episode. For those who don't (me included) it's a nightmare.
    Leaving that aside, here are my observations:
    1. Michael's background story is far too stretched and takes up almost the entire episode. The time for the current affairs is very limited.
    2. The narration to Sayid/Desmond of his story alone, lasts for 29 minutes non-stop! Never been done for a character/s before, non-stop like this and makes one wonder of the stretch.
    3. It's not plausible that Michael has enough time to explain all this. It shouldn't take more than 5' to get a replacement valve -he send someone for it- hardly enough time to tell the story.
    4. The heli pilot reveals the purpose of the boat to the deckhand (Michael) the moment he meets him. Please!
    4. =SPOILERS= Sayid acts completely out of character at the end. A man who supposedly knows when others lie and until now has been very careful with his steps, choses to trust someone he doesn't know (the captain) over Michael. He doesn't even take time to reflect on the two different stories the two men tell him and decides on the spot to blow Michael's cover. Understandable he betrayed them to save his life but still Sayid's action is something only Charlie would do.
    5. =SPOILERS= Rousseau, a character who managed to survive all others on the island (before the crash) and avoid many perils, chooses to run away like a blonde-bimbo in a cheesy horror flick (apologies to blondes, it's just a movies' cliche) when sniper bullets fly about. How about crawling? 'Unbe-f***ing-lievable' (and to my knowledge this was first said in "A Fish Called Wanda")and the result is predicted of course.

=TINY SPOILER= The only fun part (which actually made me laugh) is Tom's 'indulgence' (as he says) with a guy and the few moments with Miles. He always has a good/fun line up until now.

So to sum it all up, it's not a believable episode.
    We learn what happened to Michael but all that detail isn't necessary. I'm fed up with the "he's my son" line and after all this he manages to lose him by telling him what he did. So he actually cancels all his efforts by telling his son what he did. Again... please!

One can forgive some of this, had it been for an in-between episode, but for a hanger type (1 month apart from the next) it's a boring episode and a huge disappointment.
  • Michael is an utterly boring character.

This show has made me a spiteful person.

Spending so much time on Michael really makes me hope he'll be killed off soon. Is that wrong?

Seems to me that this entire episode was wasted on what should have been an 8 minute flashback: Michael's post-island past/future is hardly interesting, and lacks any real meat. This reeks of another "filler" episode, where nothing interesting happens, very few questions are answered, and the few answers we get are to questions we really don't care about.

Hopefully the writers will get with it and start giving us episodes that aren't a total waste of time.
  • Hugely disappointing

4.1
    Quite frankly I thought that was a dreadful episode. Having been really excited to see what had happened to Michael, we instead have a weakly plotted explanation. Walt won't talk to his Dad because he had to shoot some people to rescue him? I don't think so! Michael's mother won't let him see Walt? And Michael just accepts that? I don't think so! This is the guy that shot 2 people just to be back with him. And now he won't even walk past his mother? No way am I having that.

Then, we've got Tom in the real world doing the most cheesy acting ever and what has happened to his accent? We find out Ben and co are claiming Penny's dad planted the plane. In honesty, I don't care. I don't know why but I don't. I loved the first 3 seasons but this season has gone off on a tangent that just isn't working for me. Apart from the Constant, none of the storyline seems to link sufficiently to anything in the first 3 seasons. Really disappointed I have to say.

Add to this we have the fact that The Others need Michael to be the spy on the boat. Why?? If they know who and where Widmore is, why don't they just kill him instead of sending Michael (who was bound to be found out) on the boat as a spy? And why would Michael agree to it? The bit with the bomb was really weak as well.

And as for the ending, it came from nowhere, there was no build up to it and it just seems to me the makers know lots of people are wondering about Rousseau and demanding a flashback but she is apparently not up for being in the show for long so they've taken the easy route to avoid any problems.

I really hope I am wrong but Lost seems to have LOST it's direction.
  • not impressed

4.2
    ok first things first: you can't just shoot rousso (don't really care much as to the correct spelling*) like that. Ok I actually don't really like her but as seen as she's been quite an important character since season 1 i think it was jus a bad move and rubbish viewing. secondly as a first half season break it kinda sucked. ok it's great to hav michael back but lets face it, my dogs b***s have more viewing pleasure in them then this episode.... highly disappointed

*ok before all you lost ubergeeks hav a go at me about not really caring about the spelling of the character's name (don't get me wrong i love the show and am a keen fan) jus realise that if u care that much about the spelling of the french lady's name to have a go at me about it then you are really quite sad and spend too much time focussing on tv shows rather than the more substantial things in life....
  • Lost just lost it's charm.

4.4
    Surviving car crashes, bullets bouncing of skulls, guns jamming? What the hell?
    I don't know what to say anymore, this is just lame.

"You can't kill yourself. The island won't let you." -
    yea yea whatever..

"I'm supposed to believe this?" asks Michael and I ask myself: do I have to watch more of this nonsense?

This whole seasons is getting dumber and dumber.
    Seriously, what happend?
    The first 3, 4 episodes were great and then all of a sudden they start with this time travel and other unbelievable garbage and ruin a really cool show.
    I always thought that Lost was about character development and not about hocus pocus, guess I was wrong.

p.s.: I want at least one thumbs up please
  • In all honesty, I've always found Michael's character a tad irritating, immature, and unoriginal.

To have an entire episode revolving around him and his continuing storyline seemed like merely filler to me. I've never found his character all that interesting, to say the least.

Though at first the idea of this secret character working behind the scenes on the boat was intriguing, despite that it was someone in alliance with Ben. You knew it would be someone familiar, but what a disappointment to find out it was predictable Michael! Then to learn he has wasted his chance with Walt and now has no relationship at all with his son, and has selfishly decided that his only option is to commit suicide. Of course, if you can't kill yourself then the only choice left is to ally yourself with a man who has only completely demeaned and demoralized you to the point where your a shell of the weak man that you once were!

Of course he tries to set off the bomb to early. Did he ever get anything right, ever, without pure dumb-ass luck or through the influence of others? The only thing that actually interested me was the ending. What purpose did Sayid have in betraying Michael so swiftly?!
  • Show did not feel the same, did not get that Lost Feeling.

I would have to say I am very disappointed, this episode felt like a filler episode. Maybe it was this way due to the Writers Strike? I dont know!

What I do know is that they bring Michael Back and explain a little more to even cause more unanswered questions about the mysteries of lost. I am not a person whol likes fast thrills, though when you create 50 mysteries and then add 50 more it gets a little boring. Only a few mysteries have been answered and its getting kind of old.

I still will watch lost and enjoy past seasons though I think the show is going in the wrong direction!
  • A half decent showing of lost filling in the gaps of how michael came to be on the boat. Not much else though

This episode was much better than the dry episode we had to suffer through last week. At least we got answers quickly as opposed to waiting several episodes if not series. However, though the episode had the answers to what happened with michael, not much else happened that was too interesting until the very end. Though it was a bit obvious something was going to happen. I for one am unsure as to whether they are dead being that this is the island and anything goes really so dont be suprised to see both of them running back around soon enough!

There isnt much more to say really about this episode. it filled in the gaps on michael and that was pretty much it. I think its a bit of a stupid idea for us to believe that "the island" wont let michael kill himself, but things like this are now commonplace for the lost writers. Why did the island let Jin die?

Being that the episode was relevant and was interesting to watch i cant fault it too much but it was still a bit dull and uneventful and for that i am disappointed as now we have no new episodes for quite some time and not much of an interesting cliff hanger to leave us with.
  • Not the best of the season, but still pressing forward

This is one of those flashback-heavy episodes that will be successful for those with an interest in the central character (in this case, Michael), but something of a minor disappointment for those with an eye to the big picture. There are connections to be made throughout Michael's narrative, with implications galore, but it's not quite on par with the best episodes of the season.

Michael's role in the series was fairly one-note by the time he left at the end of the second season. He was doing everything possible to save Walt from the Others, and most of the time, that meant being off-screen. When he did return, his double murder of Ana and Libby was one of the best moments of the second season. Unfortunately, this is mostly remembered (particularly by detractors) as a way to remove cast members after bad press, not for the narrative function that it served.

Ben sent him packing with Walt on a very specific bearing away from the island in the second season finale, just before the sky turned purple and the way off the island was supposedly compromised. (Note that the bearing differs slightly from the heading Daniel gave Frank earlier this season.) Even at the time, Ben had been revealed as a master manipulator, so Michael's true fate was open to debate.

Sure enough, Michael did not return to the real world in good shape. His guilt was driving him to suicidal tendencies, and he was once again separated from his son. Visions of Libby (or was it actually Jacob?) were haunting him. Before long, Michael was back in Ben's clutches, getting aboard Widmore's boat as "Kevin Johnson" to ensure that the mission to the island would be derailed.

As logical as the overall premise is, particularly in terms of Ben using Michael to his own ends, there are some tricky timeline issues to consider. The third season did not cover a very long period of time, perhaps a few weeks all told. Yet Michael manages to return to the real world, attempt suicide through car crash, recover from his injuries, get onto Widmore's boat, and then be with the "rescue party" by the time Naomi fell into everyone's lap. It's possible, but it's also hard to reconcile.

More difficult is determining whether or not Tom should have had the time or means to meet with Michael at all. Based on timeline considerations, this is just after Ben, Jack, and the rest made their way by boat from the Hydra Station island to the main island ("Stranger in a Strange Land"). Tom would have been back on the island to play football with Jack in "Par Avion". That gives Tom five days to complete his mission with Michael.

According to Tom, Charles Widmore faked the Oceanic 815 crash using his vast resources and intense desire to find the island. One can assume that Widmore knew about the general location of the island by the time Desmond participated in the race around the world. One might also assume that he was involved in the plane being off-course. He could have also been in contact with Kelvin, contriving the situation seen in "Live Together, Die Alone" (if one goes by the "Desmond was tricked into downing the plane" theory).

Perhaps Widmore had enough control over Oceanic to regularly "re-route" flights over that region of the Pacific in the hopes of pinning down the island's location more precisely. Whatever the case, Widmore would have had about 75 days to pull together the materials and means necessary to drop a plane deep enough to avoid recovery and end an investigation. (Why no one thought to question how a Sydney-LA flight would end up over the Indian Ocean is another story!)

Michael hears the news about Oceanic 815 at the same time as Daniel and Frank. Naomi arrives on the island roughly a week later, so the mission team was pulled together incredibly fast. Perhaps the Kahana was waiting on standby for just such an opportunity, leaving just the crew to be determined. Whatever the case, it speaks to an operation that is far more likely to have faked the crash of Oceanic 815 than Ben's organization, which still seems small in comparison.

Michael's story is one of redemption (like most of the character tales on "Lost"), and so far, he appears to be ready to die for the sake of those he harmed. Sayid's decision to turn him in to Captain Gault could make that difficult (though Gault seemed less than surprised). Is this the moment that Ben referred to when he said that Sayid once made the mistake of following his heart? Whatever the case, this is why it was important that Gault told Sayid and Desmond that Ben was responsible for faking the crash; it convinced them to turn in the one person capable of threatening the mission.

Of course, Ben is a threat to Widmore, just as Widmore is a threat to Ben (and presumably Jacob). Rationalizations are rife on both sides. It's interesting to note how Ben defines his own actions. According to him, he has killed no "innocents". Never mind how he manipulates others into keeping his hands clean; the real issue is how he comes to define "innocent". The Dharma Initiative certainly didn't pass muster, and neither did most of the survivors of Oceanic 815.

Ben adjusts to each new situation, however, as his time with Team Locke demonstrates. Claire still sees Ben as an "Other", but is that distinction meaningful anymore? By living the life of the Others and aligning with their interests, hasn't Team Locke essentially become the very thing they feared in the first season? It's an interesting question of perspective.

Similarly, Tom asserts that "the island" won't allow Michael to die. Michael seems to buy into this perception, and there is some reason to think it's true. However, Michael's inability to shoot himself in the head is more the result of a faulty weapon (probably a quick switch by Tom). It has no pin on the hammer, for example. Wrapping that deception in the mystique of "the island", however, leads Michael down the desired path.

Which is why it's difficult to know whether or not Ben intentionally sent Karl and Danielle to their respective fates, or if it was a miscalculation. The snipers are most likely the commandos from the Kahana (seen in Michael's flashback, and probably dropped off by Frank not so long ago), and Alex probably saved her own life by mentioning she's Ben's daughter. It's quite possible that Ben knew the commandos would be coming and where they would likely be, and decided that Alex would be most safe if kept alive to use against him, but that's quite a stretch. (It also seems highly unlikely that Danielle is dead.)

With the likely arrival of the commandos and Michael's exposure on the Kahana, this is a good turning point for the season. Events are likely to spiral towards chaos over the remaining five episodes, and considering the rate of revelation already present in the fourth season, much of the action should force some answers onto the table. Even if this particular episode is merely setting the stage, it continues to fulfill the promise of faster, tighter storytelling.
  • I got lost in the details

I won't lie. Last night's episode was probably my least favorite of the season. It was weighty and slow. A lot of the information that Frank revealed to Michael was stuff the viewers already knew. I really expected that this would be a very revealing episode, but it just wasn't. From start to finish it just seemed like it had been done already. I know they needed to tell Michael's part of the story, but I felt like they could have done it in conjunction with another episode. Last night's story line did not need it's own show. All of what got accomplished could have been worked into other episodes. I was also disappointed to find out that this was the last of the pre strike episodes. There will be no more until the end of April. It was not a good note to leave the viewers on. The whole season has been amazing until this. I hope that the post strike shows will redeem this misstep.
  • I disagree w/ reviewer thirdoptical! Mike will and did everything he could to get his son back, true some choices he made were bad moves but noone can really say what they would do if put in his shoes. I dont like how the writers killed2reallygoodcharac.

First Jin in a wierd trick the viewer flashback/forward dumb ep. Then Mike comes back as an even weaker character than when he left, he tells his son what he did to those women? That was kind of out of character for me since was willing to go to such depths to get Walt back only to whuss out and mess his kids head up. His mom and son practically hate him now, and its all because of the evil Ben. Even though Mr. Lynus is constantly stating otherwise.

I even was upset when Ben told Mike he didnt ever say for Mike to kill Anna and the other female, but every one inculuding Mike seem to forget that this wouldnt have happend if Ben hadnt of kidnapped Walt to begin w/!
    Plus Mike is never his own master of his destiny just some servant to b ordered around and belittled by every one almost every scene Mike is in. And now Sayid who is snitching Mike out is going to b the next servant of Bens as seen in the Flash forward ep. earliar this season, how much u wanna Bet Mike is the one who ends up in the coffin as seen aswell on the season 3 finale?

I just hope they stop killing off good strong minority characters in this show because soon it will begin to be fully apeareant it is on purpouse. And no more of Ben's gay right hand fat man please he is just plain outright getting annoying.
  • I hate Michael !

So I had to endure the pain of watching this episode but seeing Libby again made it all better even though it was just for a short while. Anyway we find out that Ben's spy on the freighter is Michael and I'm sure all the fan's reactions were huh ?! Questions that were raised : How ? Isn't he home ? Why would he help Ben ? and in this episode these questions were answered. Michael goes back home and confesses killing Ana Lucia and Libby to Walt so Michael's mother won't allow him to see Walt. Also Michael's guilt gets him to try and commit suicide by crashing his car and trying to shoot himself only he dosen't die so Tom shows up and him and Michael have a little boring chick fight....YAWN !!!. Tom tells Michael the island won't let him kill himself and he also tells him about Charles Widmore and what he's planning to do to the people on the island so Michael sets out trying to clear his concieounce by breaking the boat's enjine. First he thought he had to blow the boat up then he gets a white flag with " Not yet " written on it. Knowing all this Sayid exposes Michael's true identity to the captain. This episode bored me. I know it provided alot of answers but everything was too slow and I think the Michael trying to kill himself scenes would have ben exciting if I didn't hate him so much. All this hate is because he killed Ana Lucia and Libby. The episode was okay although it has to be one of the worst Lost episodes ever !!! Favorite character from this episode : Sayid for telling the captain who that idiot I mean Michael really is.
  • Michael comes back and it seems to be going somewhere...But then we are treated to one Loooong flashback.

The long awaited return of Michael is at hand... And for some reason it seemed very sloppily made. Maybe I had set my expectations a bit to high for this episode. I think what really kills this episode for me is the super long flashback (Flashes Before Your Eyes, The Other 48 Days). While the flashbacks for these previous episodes are very informative it kills any momentum gaining for the island story, and seems like it could be done better. And the ending seemed just a bit to sudden. But the flashback had its good moments, some shocking revelations, and more questions to be answered later. One nagging problem I had with the episode is that it seemed way to short. (Maybe all those freaking Eli Stone commercials?) Overall it was an episode that was very average, but had a lot to live up to.
  • Very disappointing episode.

There is rarely an episode of Lost that I don't like...this was one of them.

Mainly, it's because it didn't tell me anything I didn't already know.

Yes, it filled in some blanks as to how it all exactly happened, but we already knew that Michael got recruited by Ben and that he was on the boat.

The details don't seem to be all that relevant in the grand scheme of things, so it kind of seems like a waste of an episode.

Seems like the writers really wanted to squeeze in Michael's story as a way of reintroducing him to the show.

Lets hope that I'm wrong and those details suddenly become a big deal.
  • Finally answered unanswered questions, while at the same time opening up s few more, true Lost style! Just a Bit on the slow side though....

Despite starting with a very good opening, I was a tad disappointed with the Michael Flashback. I wanted more emotion. I was expecting to see everything from when he first saw land and knew he had made it home. It was also annoying how the flashback was like 90% of the episode, and yet it even contained a few spot that could have been shorter to allow more Island time, which seems to be lackin this season. It was nice to know he is haunted by what he did to Anna and Libby though, it sorta redeems him for doing that.

Now back to the Island. Its hard to believe Danielle Rousseau and Karl got shot. I know we don't know if they're dead, but if they are that really is an add up of more pointless deaths on lost. When is someone we HATE going to die. Obviously Ben isn't since we know he makes it off the island..... Overall good episode, tad slow, few things I didn't like, But I wouldn't say it was a bad episode! could have been better though.
  • Good episode for the most part, but the ending was too abrupt and we didn't see much else with any of the other characters.

7.8
    I agree that Michael's story had to be told, but I think it could've been explained in shorter form instead of taking up most of the alotted 43 minutes or so. I did like it, but I guess I wanted more information about Ben from Miles. Maybe will find out more about this in the next episode, but we have to wait for over a month until the next installment.

A big majority of the cast didn't appear in this episode. I can accept that to a point, but this is the second week in a row where some of the main characters weren't a big part of the show as previously. This is disappointing, but we do know more about the island and it's mystical properties which still have an effect on people who have left. This has been pointed to a number of times with Jack, Hurley, and now Michael. We also had some question's resolved that have been lingering since the end of season 2, so it's not all bad.

Now for those who are having a problem with the island and its magic. It has been explained since season one, when Locke first started walking after being crippled, that the island was special. So you knew this and should not be complaining. Other miracles of course include Sun getting pregnant by Jin after she found out previously that Jin was unable to make babies. Also during the pilot episode, when the plane first came apart, there was no way so many would've survived that wreck without the island's magic having something to do with it. This is Lost. That's what makes it so intriguing because it's sort of like the Twilight Zone, and that's why I watch it. I don't know about everybody else, but I'm sick of reality shows.

THe ending was something that I did find was weak. It seemed like the writers were trying to cram so much into the 43 minutes that the ending was rushed. WHat I'm about to say is a spoiler, so you've been warned.

SPOILER ALERT! SPOILER ALERT!!

Rousseau dying just seemed wrong. Not the dying part, but the way she was killed. FOr three and a half season's ROusseau has shown how resourceful she is, and the way she was killed off was just pathetic. SHe should've died fighting for her daughter, maybe take a bullet so that her daughter could get away. Instead the writers have her tell her daughter how much she loves her and then as she stands up to run with her daughter she is shot right there, leaving her daughter vulnerable. Carl the boyfriend was also killed, but he wasn't a big part of the series for as long as ROusseau. HIs death didn't bother me as much for that reason.

Overall the episode was good but not great. THe few answers we got were adequate, but I miss Jack, Kate, and even Claire. I also want to learn more about Ben Linus. THe ending is really what hurt this episode the most though, but it was still good.
  • HOLY COW!! They addressed an unresolved storyline!!

7.9
    Well isn't this a shock! I can't easily recall the last time this show took the time to revisit a storyline that they had left hanging for months (if not years) and let the viewers know what finally happened.

In this case, we now know something of what had happened to Michael and Walt (well, more Michael than Walt) after the "Others" put them on a boat and sent them on their merry way (that was season 2, wasn't it?). We also got a bit of insight into the island itself. It had been postulated by many that the island had a degree of sentience and/or direct influence on the population on it (e.g. Locke regaining use of his legs, but losing them again for a short time when he doubts his destiny or the island's healing aura), but we had never seen any actual proof of that until Michael's repeated suicide attempts.

It is my sincere hope that the coming episode will follow this episode's tone and continue to tie together and resolve the serie's numerous story gaps and salvage the show as a whole.
  • Not the most pleasant reunion we could have had

Based on what we've seen in the flashbacks on this series, almost everybody on the island had a difficult time before, during, and (in some cases) after their time on the island. But right now, it's hard to picture somebody who's had it worse than Michael Dawson.

He had a major struggle with his wife after Walt was born, he lost custody of his child in a bitter battle, his relationship with Walt on the island is sullen, and finally manages to solidify when he builds a rescue boat. The Others then blow up the boat, and take Walt prisoner. Michael moves heaven and earth to get his son back, which involves killing two women and betraying all the other survivors of the crash. He finally manages to reunite with his son, but the guilt is too much for him and he confesses, at which point Walt says he wants nothing to do with him.

Almost everybody on the island is looking for some kind of redemption., but now Michael can no longer have that. So he looks for the only way left open to him --- which appears to be death. However, then he runs into Tom, of all people.. Who tells him something that we haven't known, but may have suspected --- if someone needs to do something for the island, it won't let them die. It explains how Locke has managed to survive every attack he's taken so far, why Ben took such a horrible beating, and could possibly be the reason that Jack was unable to kill himself in the first flashforward we saw in Season 3.

During the flashback, the news that the fake Oceanic 815 has been recovered is broadcast. Tom then reveals that the man responsible for the cover up was none other than Charles Widmore, and that he dug up a mass grave in order to come up with 324 bodies. We won't find out how this happened until Season 5, but it does seem that Widmore was responsible. What's not clear is how he found that kind resources, but then Widmore does have access to a lot of things.

Tom then tells Michael that his mission is to take out all of the people on that freighter, and sends him to Fiji with a fake passport. While some of the people on the freighter seem familiar (albeit creepy), it is not until he meets Kearny and Omar firing machine guns that he comes to realize just how dangerous this particular mission is. He then prepares to use a bomb to blow the ship sky high--- only to find out that it's yet another cruel test orchestrated by Ben. All of these scenes carry their own kind of agony, but the worst comes when Michael finally gets a message from the mainland from Walt, only to pick it up and hear Ben on the other end. Ben then tells Michael in that condescending way of his that he will do what he has to do, but he won't kill innocent people. He just gives the orders or allows them to happen. Michael than listens to one more set of marching orders, and Michael finishes up looking utterly crushed, as if he's been denied redemption one more time.

Michael then tells a very truncated version of this story to Sayid (the entire episode is basically a flashback, so it's hard to know exactly how much he actually told) and Sayid waits all of two seconds before taking Michael right over to the captain and telling everybody that he's is the traitor. (I wouldn't get comfortable in my ivory tower, Sayid). Like everyone else on the island, he cares little for someone else's redemption. Granted, he's still trying to save all of his friends, but considering just how violent the captain has been towards his own crew, it's still a pretty lousy thing for him to do.

Meanwhile, back on the island, Ben has finally revealed his secrets, which doesn't help Locke's position much, as everyone (even Miles, who's only been there a week) can tell than Ben has just maneuver himself back into a position of power. He then sends Alex out to the temple, where he told Richard (speaking of which, where is Richard?) to take the others when he got separated from him way back in season 3, and allows Karl and Rousseau to go with her. He's trying to protect her, but in doing so, all he does is guarantee than they all meet their end a bit quicker. Karl is killed in the jungle, and though we won't learn it for certain for a couple of more episodes, Rousseau has died too. All Ben's done is make sure that his daughter saw her boyfriend and mother get killed in front of her--- he couldn't have thought up a crueler fate if he'd arranged it himself. But there are far worse things ahead for Ben and everybody else in the barracks.

This episode is perhaps at its best when it follows Perrineau. He's always been an expressive actor, and in this episode, he pretty much has to be, as so many of the scenes he's in have no dialogue. He manages to show an entire range of emotions on it, from hope to desperation to guilt towards complete defeat. It's not clear (even now) if Michael will ever find the redemption or the peace that he has sought, but for a man who was willing to die for his son, somehow I can't believe fate has finished telling the whole story with him.
    My score: 8
  • The beginning of the war.

Had the strike gone on longer than it did, this would've had to suffice for the season finale. Thank God it was resolved, because most of the fandom would probably contemplate going into a coma to alleviate the wait. It would've been bittersweet for a season that hit so many high marks to end prematurely. In addition, "Lost" didn't rework its season to give the viewers closure as "Heroes" did (although "Heroes" had a far less satisfying season), assuming they couldn't produce more episodes within the standard TV season. With six more episodes being produced, this unbelievably satisfying and entertaining season can get a proper resolution.

Lindelof & Cuse compared this episode's ending to when Ana-Lucia and Libby were shot, which is appropriate. The season is about to shift, rather than close. Had they rewritten this to accommodate a longer strike, they might've revealed more about the freighties and how the Oceanic Six got off the island, but it would've been premature. Instead, the episode delves into what happened to Michael after he sailed off the island in the second season finale while showing a glimpse of who the freighties are.

Of course, Michael being Ben's inside man was the worst kept secret in "Lost" history, a product of the producers knowing there was no way to keep it a secret ("24" and "Prison Break" did similar press with returning cast members). Considering his character, it makes sense for him to return. Michael's major fault he's trying to atone for, unlike his fellow castaways, happened after the crash. Yes he wasn't a part of Walt's life until after Walt's mother died, but taking two lives to get him back from the Others trumps anything else. With most of the cast trying to find redemption, Michael's story wasn't done yet. Also, the unanswered questions with Walt are too big to go unanswered.

So we see a brief glimpse of his life post-island (although no shot involving how he got back) and it isn't pretty. He's in a funk similar to Jack in his flash forwards. He's drowning in guilt and it's estranged him from Walt, now living with his grandmother in secret. He lost everything he cared about and attempts suicide several times, but ironically sees redemption in The Others when Tom recruits him to be Ben's inside man.

Tom's line that the island won't let Michael kill himself has generated some controversy, but it isn't as corny as it might've sounded. Consider Locke suddenly losing control of his legs in "Deus Ex Machina", which saved his life as well as Desmond's since Locke's frustration gave Desmond hope when he contemplated suicide. In that same category could be Jack's suicide attempt in "Through the Looking Glass", where a car crash literally pulled Jack from the ledge. Some have theorized the island orchestrated those things to keep key players around, so it's hardly a whipped up concept.

With the episode devoted to what happened to Michael during the third season, many must've expected some bigger reveals regarding the freighties, who Michael infiltrated as the eponymous Johnson, but really this episode is about setting up Michael's possible redemptive arc. While Michael is haunted by his past, he sees stopping sadists with no consciences as a way to redeem himself.

This connects to Ben's conversation about Michael sparing the "innocent" on the freighter. While anything Ben says should be examined with heavy skepticism, this claim isn't that off. Daniel, Frank and Minkowski (before he got sick) are all friendly, whereas several crew members kill time by shooting at plates with machine guns that could liquefy someone, blowing off questions about rescue. Assuming Ben is manipulating Michael and he doesn't care if there are "innocent" people on the freighter, why would he give them more time to get the message that would lead them to the island? It's also worth noting that of the dead on the freighter, none died because of anything Michael did as far as we know.

Tom's "evidence" that the plane crash was staged adds another layer to the differing stories to who was behind the Flight 815 cover up. Since Tom has receipts and photos, it's the most convincing so far. However, it's worth wondering how The Others found out about this expedition and in such a short time. Since the two sources of information are The Others and Widmore, neither should be considered a legitimate source yet, but some connection is there.

After teasing the reveal of the gay cast member and hinting at it well over a season ago, it turns out it was Tom. One of the things I like most about this reveal is that they don't make a big deal about it (although I'm sure homophobic groups will make it sound like they were in your face). Like many shows that excel in having a diverse cast, it is about the characters over their ethnicity, gender or sexual preference.

Since her sudden death late in season two, Libby has been a major mystery. She never had a proper flashback episode to illustrate her backstory. All we know is at one point she was a patient at Hurley's hospital when he was and gave Desmond the boat he shipwrecked on the island. While her return might've offered huge reveals, instead it teases and leaves plenty of room for interpretation. For some reason (likely them not getting Michelle Rodriguez to fly in for a cameo), her death weighs heavier on him than Ana-Lucia. When he's ready to blow up the freighter, Libby's ghost discourages him from doing so, accompanied by off-island whispers. Some theorized that Libby was an insider among the castaways, but for who varies by who is speculating. Whatever it is, it may be theorized she worked for Widmore or someone else opposing Ben.

One thing worth exploring was how Michael and Walt assimilated in Manhattan. Going in, it wouldn't be off to assume that they were picked up by the freighter people and he made up a bogus story per Ben's orders. The "cabin fever" that provoked Regina to kill herself could've been the result of Walt and his abilities, recalling "It's a Good Life". However, that blank is not filled. Michael must've lived somewhere where they don't ask questions, because the media, family and friends of the castaways and especially Widmore would want to learn what Michael knows and it's unlikely he'd be allowed to move back into his old apartment. Maybe that's nitpicking, but it's a major missing piece in the story that may lack a logical explanation.

Another controversial element in the episode is the timeline of Michael's flashbacks. Michael left the island around Day 67. So in roughly two weeks (considering when Tom was on island last season), he managed to return to the mainland, heal from his gunshot wound and later suicide attempt and get on the freighter. It seems like the writers have taken a page from "24" regarding time compression.

Sayid ratting Michael out makes total sense. Of the castaways, Sayid perhaps is the most skeptical of Ben's motives. In addition, it's coming from Michael, who nobody trusts because of his betrayal. It discredits the suspicion in Sayid's mind that the captain is a threat as well. With what we know of the Oceanic Six, it's safe to assume turning him in is a terrible mistake. Some viewers were expecting Gault to explain that he knew all along that Michael was a spy and that was part of the plan or he was one as well, but no such luck.

One interesting piece was that The Temple appears to be another Dharma Station (bringing the total to nine, not including The Orchid) and not something connected to the ruins we saw in "Live Together, Die Alone" and "The Brig". The Others' appropriation of Dharma technology and facilities was an interesting part of the third season and as more is revealed. How this place is a special sanctuary above the other stations and locations on the island is wide open for discussion.

Considering Ben's talent at manipulation, it wouldn't be a far off guess to believe that he knowingly sent Rousseau and Karl to be killed to prove a point to Alex. His possessiveness was evident when he sent Goodwin to die two episodes ago. However, how he could pull that off is a point of contention. The Others at The Temple do not have the muscle.

While Karl is likely dead, the same may not apply to Rousseau. Although we know many of the broad strokes of her story, a flashback episode detailing how she managed to survive on the island for 16 years before the crash could illuminate a lot. Some fans would likely find it hard to forgive the writers for promising a Rousseau episode and killing her off before that happened. This may be more wishful thinking since Rousseau's arc was essentially completed when she reunited with her daughter, and most of her backstory has been told through exposition rather than scenes.

This episode does a good job of transitioning us from the first half of the season, filling in some blanks regarding a long missing character. While major reveals weren't there as some may have expected, the season is moving beyond its introductory phase and things are about to get even more interesting as the war starts.
  • I actually didn't have that big of a problem with this episode, it's just...

that the hype for this one was way too high. For the last of the eight-episode run, the mid-season finale, as it were, it wasn't too shocking or too edge-of-your-seat. I was totally prepared for one of those episodes.

But I liked it. Michael, despite his self-centerdness, is actually a human being. Feeling tremendous grief for what he did, he manages to have some kind of falling out with his son. I wish there were more episodes like this too. Just nice character studies that do answer some subtle questions.

Oh, and this episode would have been a 9 if it weren't for the ending. What kind of ending was that? I didn't mind the crossfire killing Karl and maybe Danielle, but it just ended with Alex yelling to unknown snipers that she's Ben's daughter. That's it. Maybe if it ended a little more smoothly.
  • Over a season's worth of storytelling crammed into one very enjoyable episode.

In case we'd forgotten about Michael in his season (and a bit) long absence we were treated to an incredibly long previously sequence that covered pretty much his entire character from the first two seasons. Although this was long it was edited well to show what he'd done and appropriately set up his flashback. Then again Sawyer summed it up in about two lines so maybe the previously sequence wasn't needed after all. After finally getting our first scene with Michael in last week's episode the main point of this one was to show how he got there. I have kind of mixed feelings about how this was done. They abandon the typical flashback structure of having them interspersed between scenes on the island and mix it up a bit (actually for the record the only "traditional" flashback they've had so far this season was Juliet's).

Michael's flashback plays out in a oner, not unlike Desmond's in "Flashes Before Your Eyes". This gives us a clear picture of what Michael's been up to in the season and a bit we haven't seen him. We find out that his relationship with Walt has deteriorated and that he wants to end it all by killing himself. His flashback pretty much covers everything which does make for a good mid-season finale. My only slight gripe with it is that after three years of Lost giving us snippets of information this seems like a lot of information to tae in all at once. Assuming Michael's going to be on the show for a while then there'll be more time to go into more detail about these things, but to be honest the way it's played out does make for a better episode.

Nothing was really skipped past and it all flowed well. The only real issue is that whether or not we'll get more about Walt; considering the problems with the actor having aged (as they used a stand in for him in this episode) it is possible there could be no more scenes between the two of them again on the show. Still that's for a later episode, so onto this one. It turns out that the island won't let Michael die which in true Lost fashion reveals nothing to us. It could show more of what power the island holds, or it could be that the gun Tom gave him was made to purposely jam when fired. Speaking of Tom we find out that he's gay in this episode. I've nothing against that but it seemed tacked on as an attempt at political correctness. Obviously there has to be a gay character on any TV show these days, but then again it had been hinted at in earlier episodes and it was hardly a big story point.

So once Michael agrees to help the Others they manage to get him onto the freighter with the intention of blowing it up. This is where we got an interesting perspective of many of the new characters from Michael's perspective. I liked Frank anyway, but it's good to have his intentions made clear that he wants to help any survivors of flight 815. Then there's Miles who becomes more likeable here by not ratting out Michael, even though I don't like the idea of his ghostbusting/psychic ability thing. It's a bit of a shame we didn't get to see Daniel or Charlotte though. Michael does eventually decide to go through with destroying the ship but it ends up being a fake-out. Ben didn't want to take out everyone on the ship because some of them were innocent and didn't know about Charles Widmore's true intentions. Ben used this to point out the difference between himself and Widmore to both Michael and the viewers. Assuming he's telling the truth this does give more credibility to his comments about being one of the "good guys". The real point of the episode was to get the audience back on Michael's side. I know a lot of folk hated him for what he did to get his son back (as I wasn't a huge fan of Anna-Lucia or Libby I wasn't all that bothered by it). This was done very well by not only showing his remorse as to what he's done and how he can't live with it, but by adding a special treat (presumably from the island) it really hit home. After promising us that they would eventually get to Libby's story we finally see her for the first time since season 2. Although no more of her story was addressed it was nice to see her back (and looking quite fit actually) and it really added to what Michael was going through.

As his flashback took up the majority of the episode there's not too much to add about the on island stuff. Sayid turning in Michael after hearing his story may seem a bit daft but in fairness from his perspective it was probably the best course of action. He believes Ben to be the enemy and anyone who sides with him is therefore also an enemy. The ending unfortunately brought down the episode a bit. Funnily enough for each of the last three episodes I've had this feeling that someone would be shot whilst having a heart-warming moment with their other half. Here this actually happened, but I wasn't too bothered. Alex works well as Danielle's daughter and not much else, she's not a strong enough character to hold a cliffhanger ending the way she tried to. Karl's death was a bit surprising but he's even less of a character than Alex so killing him was probably the best bet. Danielle being shot however was surprising, and very annoying. That said it appeared that she was hit in the side and so I'm guessing she'll survive, Hell we've seen folk come back from worse than that on this show!

So it was a strong episode, if not a strong cliffhanger, to keep us going for the next few weeks over the forced break before the season continues. As usual more questions were raised than answered (do we believe Ben or Widmore about who staged the plane wreckage?) but only just as we did get a boatload of information on Michael. Hopefully he can continue to have a strong reason to be in the show after this and that the season will continue with the quality it's had in these first eight episodes.
  • The episode was great but the ending was just stupid.

So we finally found out what happened to Michael after he left with Walt. I thought that he was found in the sea by the freighter people, but he managed to return to America on his own. I don't really know what to think about him.... It's good that he wishes to save everyone on the island, but what he did to Ana-Lucia and Libby can not be forgiven...

The beginning was perfect and I hoped for another 9 or 10 worth episode, but... I just hate the ending. Danielle is one of the most interesting characters in the show. I would never support her death - NEVER.
  • Say it with me: ANSWERS!

We meet Michael again and we learn that he's on the boat to kill himself because he's informed by the newly outed Tom that the island won't let him commit suicide. A massive portion of this episode is dedicated to the filling in of the blanks involving Michael but we also learn that Ben's enemies are closing in on them and Sayid and Desmond are ready to reveal the true identity of Michael. The return of Michael was only a matter of time since his departure in the Season 2 finale; not only because he was still being credited but because left on such and abrupt note. This episode informs us on what happened to him after in a way that's easy to follow but still leaves things to the imagination.

Thanks to a stirring performance from Harold Perrineau and brilliant direction and writing; the long flashback is fantastic and what happens on the island (not much) is also nicely done.

A few bits didn't quite gel however; the episode just feels unfinished with an awkward and almost rushed ending and the inclusion and revelation that Tom is gay seems out of place.

The acting is on top of it's game but Perrineau holds up the episode himself and does so superbly.

All in all; this a terrific episode of Lost and proof that that the series really is going somewhere.
  • Not the best episode but necessary to push the story forward.

"Meet Kevin Johnson" was not the best episode of Lost and doesn't significantly delve into the major themes of the series as much as I would have liked, but it was a necessary kick start for this season's storyline. Michael is back and he's desperate. After being off-island for a season, we find that Michael has slipped into despair over his murderous acts on the island and the loss of his son's respect. Michael's depressive, suicidal wanderings in this episode are a little two dimensional. However, the character has been off the grid for a full season, so it's somewhat understandable. The episode does make up for the shortcomings in three ways. First, it provides long awaited information: what happened when Michael left the island and why/how is he going back? Second, we can some minor character development for the other's Tom (aka Mr. Friendly), one of my personal favorites. Again, the episode doesn't provide dramatic insight into Tom's character. However, we do learn just how important Tom was in Ben's camp. Tom seems to be one of the few who Ben will send off island to handle important matters. Finally, we get a glimpse of the demons plaguing Michael. One of Michael's victim's, Libby, appears with a warning that is sure to spark an interesting story arc. Although the episode is somewhat lacking in character development (on the Lost scale), it still provides important information that is sure to serve as the foundation for this story arc for the rest of the series. It's worth seeing to stay abreast of the story.
  • Nooooo.....

Oh.. this episode was.. it started quite interestingly and then we had most of the time about Michael's motives and Michael's past - what happened with him when he get off the island, what he did and why he ended up in the ship. To say, it was quite interesting - the killing part specially, but overall - I did not buy it. It missed some logic. And it got even more illogical when Sayid just took him to the captain and told who he is. What? Why? Because he said: I came here to die and Sayid can only win by revealing him and nothing to lose?

Ok, there was little other storyline with Ben and the camp. He makes Alex, Rousseau and Karl to some safe place, ending up sending them to a fire.. where both Rousseau and Karl die.. (I really hope not).. I do not know.. that part looked even more illogical than Michael's story - to kill them? for what? ok, it is a great mystery that keeps us waiting, that's good.. but.. why? I most say? Rousseau have been there from the beginning.. and.. Anyway.. there is again.. much questions.. and little answers.. very little, to be honest.
  • We catch up with Micheal.

This was an alright episode of Lost. I did like the fact that we did catch up with Micheal and we did get answered a lot of the questions of what happened when Micheal and Walt left the island that was really nice. I was afraid it would be one of those story lines that rode off into the sunset that we would never get an answer too. I however don't like the fact that Micheal was trying to kill himself. I know what he did was wrong, but he should try correct his mistakes by living and giving his son Walt a better life. He is really throwing Libby and Ana-Lucia's deaths away by not having anything to do with Walt. That is just stupid on his part.
  • This was a very interesting episode. Finally Michael's story and motive for being Ben's spy is revealed, some characters became more interesting & the unanswered questions that this episode put in my head were just entertaining.

-The flashback is shown without any interruption from the present, and is quite good. It explains well what happened to Michael after he left. - The flashback made me wonder if Tom was bluffing when he said "The island won't let you die" and sabotaged the gun or switch it with another one
    - It will be very interesting what role will Michael have in the future in the series. Also that very short scene with Michael made Miles more interesting to me
    -I found it very entertaning how they made unclear on which side are Ben and Widmore. -The final scene on the boat makes me think that things won't continue as the writers would want us to think. Maybe there is another spy on the boat, maybe the captain.

- this episode just confirmed that the survivors at the barracks are Ben's puppets. It will be interesting to see if he will turn them against the freighters and against the survivors at the beach
    - The final scene was very good and unexpected. I can't wait to have an answer to just what the hell happened (I seriously hope Danielle isn't dead)
< 1 2 3