Lost

Meet Kevin Johnson

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Mar 20, 2008 on ABC

• In what was the most hyped episode of the season, we learn what happened when Michael left the island. Strong start, decent all around, but really, not much happened. And I say this knowing people will disagree with me anyways.

Ok, so first things first. Before you disagree with this review, let's think about things.

This episode was a Michael-centric episode and the flashback was really well told. We get to see Michael agonizing over killing Ana and Libby, get to see him try to kill himself and see the plan develop which will eventually bring him to the frieghter.

This is all well and good. Everything about Michael was well done.

Here's my problem.

If you really think about it, nothing happened.

Nothing.

We learn why Michael is on the boat. Check.

We learn that Sayid turns Michael over. Check.

Other than that? Nothing much.

Sure, Rousseau and Alex's BF die (or maybe they don't, on this show who knows), meaning that there are hostiles on the island, but other than that, we're in no different position now than we were a week ago.

Now, I'm not saying this was a bad episode. I love this show and this did it's purpose. But, really, to me it was kind of a letdown at the end.

I give it an 8.7 as a rating not because it was a bad show but because, compared to other episodes this season, I feel it was ok, solid, but not spectacular.

That being said, I am absolutely thrilled with what I saw in the preview at the end. (semi-spoilers) We finally got a straight up reveal on the Oceanic six and found out there will be blood! MWAH!!!!

This episode did it's job to whet my appitite for the rest of the year. Nothing more, Nothing less.
  • In this well-drawn tale, the reveals aren't huge, but it's worth it to slow down reinvest in one of Lost's most missed characters.

No, this episode doesn't confirm the wild time-advances-quicker-off-the-island theories. Nor do we see a super-tall, older Walt. Yes, Libby's appearance is probably just a Smokey vision, and, no, it doesn't further the mystery of the three faces of Libby (islander, mental patient, and boat loaner). Yes, there are moments of Michael's story that are a little pedantic.

Yet, this is still a series highlight, mostly because it tells such a compelling story about Michael, and because every scene feels just right. For the first time for me in an events-that-lead-up-to episode, the main character's motivations feel well-explained and well-justified every step of the way.

Also, in this episode, Tom really comes into his own as a character. He didn't do well in Season 3, playing secondbanana. Here, even though Ben's obviously calling the shots through Tom, the absence of Ben for most of the episode returned to Tom the authority and sinister charm he so easily commanded in Exodus and The Hunting Party.

This is one of those pleasureable episodes to watch because of what it confirms, or even rules out. It succeeds where Lost has failed for me before, in that it has characters discussing the events that are happening to them, positing theories about them, and then drawing conclusions. We have a really good sense, after this episode, of where each party stands, and what they're trying to achieve.

Finally, there was a truly shocking twist, with Sayid giving up Michael's cover.

I award this episode 5 out of 5 Smokies.
  • A revealing episode...with an odd ending. And a prelude to the Zombie season.

We got a big answer in this episode – where Michael has been all this time. He was allowed to leave the island and go back home. But unbeknownst to him, it was only "shore leave". And it seems as though it was awfully short. Now, Ben is using Michael to stop Widmore from coming to the island. Or something. Last week we heard that Ben is the one who got the 324 dead bodies, and tonight Tom told us that it was Widmore. (And he's got pretty convincing proof, too.) But everyone involved in these shenanigans have proven to be untrustworthy, so I don't know who to believe just yet.

So, the ending. It seemed very abrupt to me, like the writers were writing away, looked at the clock, and said, "well, that's 42 minutes!" I know that's not the case, but Sayid turning Michael in, and Rousseau, Alex, and Karl in the jungle just seemed so out of place.

Speaking of Rousseau, Alex, and Carl – THAT was the death?! I was definitely expecting one of the original survivors to be killed, not Rousseau and Karl. (Ironically, it feels like a letdown, but in the long run I couldn't bear for another one of the Losties to die.) And Rousseau didn't even get a dramatic death. She took ONE step to run away with her daughter and got hit. At least Karl's water bottle got shot beforehand, which looked kinda cool. (But this pretty much means that Ben wanted those three dead. Who did he get to do his dirty work?)

Anyway, back to Michael. So he got home with Walt, and told him about killing Ana-Lucia and Libby. Now, Walt can't even look at his father, and Michael is being haunted by Libby (who's giving him some good advice, though). And, the Island won't let Michael kill himself, because he still has work to do. Even halfway across the world, people just can't escape the Island. Physically, they can, but not mentally. We're seeing this in the flash-forwards, as well.

I thought the Zombie Season wasn't until season 7?! A lot of dead people came back tonight. Libby, Naomi, Minkowski, Friendly… (and Friendly proved what he told us in 3.01, when he said to Kate, "you're not my type.") I wasn't expecting to see Libby, at least not in ghost form. I hope we get to learn more of her back story (I believe the writers have said that they do have plans for more Libby).

So, besides the odd ending, this episode has been on par with season four's awesomeness. Unfortunately we have to wait more than a month for a new episode. The countdown has already begun!
  • Michael is back, and his episode was great too.

Alright, haven't reviewed a LOST episode in a very long time, but I thought it was necessary to review the mid-season finale that I must say WAS NOT intended to be a mid-season finale because S4 was originally planned to go 16-straight episodes without a break. Well the strike ruined that, and it's UNFORTUNATE people are reviewing this episode as a true mid-season finale...because it wasn't supposed to be.

With that said, this was my favorite episode out of the first 8 episode. The Constant is very close though I might add.

Basically this episode was a flashback showing what happened to Michael after he left. While on the boat, or when Walt and Michael got back to NYC Michael told Walt he had killed Ana-Lucia and Libby. Now Walt hates Michael and Walt now lives with his grandma.

Michael wants to commit suicide. BUT the island won't let Michael kill himself according to Tom aka Mr. Friendly. Tom meets with him, and eventually convinces Michael to go to Fiji to board the freighter...the one that's near out island.

Before Michael goes on the boat though, he wants to find out how 815 was found in the ocean. Tom tells that Widmore is behind the cover-up. Widmore got all those dead bodies from Thailand. I believe Tom. Widmore IS the bad guy.

So Michaels on the boat. We see him meet Naomi, George and Miles. He also gets a visit from Libby who tells Michael "don't do it", talking about pushing a button that would blow up the freighter. The bomb though, was a fraud. Ben wants Michael to kill the freighties, but not the innocent people.

Back to the NOW time. Sayid is disgusted Michael is working for Ben(which is funny because we know sayid works for him in the future), so Sayid takes Michael into the Captains office...and tells him Michael isn't who he says he is.

Meanwhile, earlier in the ON ISLAND beginning Ben tells Alex to got to THE TEMPLE where the Others are. Danielle, and Karl go as well. At the end of the episode Karl is shot and killed by an unconfirmed person(My bet is Omar from the freighter...or just a random freghtie). Danielle tells Alex to run with her...unfortunately Danielle is shot. We have no idea if she's dead. The episode ends with Alex getting up, putting her hands in the air saying "I'M BENS DAUGHTER"...probably indicating it's the freghties....and they'll use Alex as a tool to get Ben.

Great episode. Glad Michaels back!!! Can't wait for April 24th!!!
  • Very slow paced, but very informative and intriguing.

Great episode. And what a way to end the, now first half of, the fourth season.
    So we finally get to learn what happened to Michael after boating off from craphole island. His initial breakdown and suicide attempts confirm that leaving the island carries some "side effects" with it.
    I completely enjoyed the story telling of Michael in NY after coming "home". He's so desperate to end it all, kind of like Jack in the season 3 finale. It will be interesting to find out why. What is or was so terrible about the lies they all have to tell, that some want to take their own lives, just to stop it?
    I was slightly under impressed by the ending than what I was lead to believe. It was still an appropriate ending for the 'break' though. Danielle had better NOT be dead!
    Season 4, part 2, can't come soon enough.
  • HOLY COW!! They addressed an unresolved storyline!!

7.9
    Well isn't this a shock! I can't easily recall the last time this show took the time to revisit a storyline that they had left hanging for months (if not years) and let the viewers know what finally happened.

In this case, we now know something of what had happened to Michael and Walt (well, more Michael than Walt) after the "Others" put them on a boat and sent them on their merry way (that was season 2, wasn't it?). We also got a bit of insight into the island itself. It had been postulated by many that the island had a degree of sentience and/or direct influence on the population on it (e.g. Locke regaining use of his legs, but losing them again for a short time when he doubts his destiny or the island's healing aura), but we had never seen any actual proof of that until Michael's repeated suicide attempts.

It is my sincere hope that the coming episode will follow this episode's tone and continue to tie together and resolve the serie's numerous story gaps and salvage the show as a whole.
  • While "Meet Kevin Johnson" wasn't quite as action-packed as I had anticipated, it did contain a few interesting and eerie moments; a few more questions appear to be resolved more concretely; and there are a few more unexpected deaths.

I just finished watching "Meet Kevin Johnson" a short while ago; and while it wasn't quite as action-packed as I had anticipated, it did contain a few interesting and eerie moments; a few more questions appear to be resolved more concretely; and there are a few more unexpected deaths . . . at least I am assuming that the characters in question are really dead for now.

A large part of "Meet Kevin Johnson" is comprised of flashbacks, all of which pertain to what happened to Michael, after he and Walt escaped from the island, with Benjamin Linus' help. We see some familiar faces in flashback mode, including Libby, Naomi Dorrit, Tom/Mr. Friendly, Miles Straume, George Minkowski and Frank Lapidus.

In this episode, as many LOST fans had already suspected, we learn more concretely that Michael Dawson, now posing as Kevin Johnson, a deck hand on the freighter Kahana, is in fact Ben's man-on-the-boat. It is in this context that we also learn of another list which was compiled by Ben Linus, after Michael and Walt escape from the island, and end up in New York City. Following is an excerpt from the episode where this unknown list is finally revealed:

[Michael is in the radio room of the freighter Kahana, believing that a call from his son Walt has come in from the U.S. mainland. To his shock, the voice on the other end is that of Benjamin Linus, who is sitting in his communications room on the island.]

MICHAEL: What do you want from me?

BEN LINUS: I want you to compile a list of names. Every person on your boat. When I call again, you'll give me that list. Then you will disable the radio room you are sitting in. When the crew is disoriented by their lack of communication, you'll take out the engines too. That way the boat can never get to this island, and your friends will be safe. Will you do that for me Michael?

MICHAEL: Yeah

BEN LINUS: Then consider yourself one of the good guys.

As I noted a moment ago, there are a number of eerie scenes where we see the power of the island clearly intervening to prevent Michael from taking his life prematurely. It seems that Michael still has work to do for Ben and the island; and because of that, even though he makes three attempts to kill himself, (by driving his car into a shipping container, by putting a pistol to his head, and by trying to blow up the freighter prematurely) it just won't happen . . . at least not yet.

We also receive additional evidence which suggests that not only is the Oceanic Flight 815 wreckage in Bali fake, but that it was planted there by Charles Widmore, (as some LOST fans had already suspected), in order to protect the true location of the crash site, as well as the location of the island. But again, this revelation depends on our belief that the people making these claims are telling the truth.

The life-threatening danger that the Survivors now face is emphasized again, as we see some of the mercenaries on the freighter shooting at clay pigeons with machine guns. Michael is totally freaked out by this, and we can tell by the look on his face that he realizes that he must help the remaining Survivors on the island, even if it means giving his own life, as a final act of contrition for his previous crimes.

In another apparent sign of the intended massacre to be committed by the freighter's crew, John Locke calls a general camp meeting, in which both Miles Straume and Ben Linus are present. It is a time for truth . . . and perhaps more manipulation by Ben?

In addition to telling everyone that Michael is his man-on-the-boat, Ben again warns everyone that if he is found by Widmore's people on the freighter, everyone on the island will be killed mercilessly. He then encourages Danielle, Alex and Karl to head for the secret location known as "the temple".

The episode ends with two island residents meeting their demise at the hands of an unknown assailant . . . but I won't spoil it for you by revealing their identities here.

Aside from the Widmore/Bali wreckage revelation, there are two other things that this episode seems to clarify quite well in my mind.

First, as was heavily hinted in the last episode, "Ji Yeon", Michael Dawson indeed appears to be Oceanic Flight 815 survivor #6. We have now seen him in two consecutive episodes off of the island. As I have pointed out before, he meets every technical requirement for being one of the Oceanic Six, whereas baby Aaron does not. I have nothing against Aaron being #6, but it looks less and less to me like Aaron will fulfill that role, while Michael will.

However, there is one important caveat; and this leads us to what I believe is the final revelation of the episode; and that is that sometime between this current episode, and the flash forward where Jack attends the funeral, Michael is going to die. If this occurs, it will make him a prime candidate for being the man in the coffin.

Not only does Michael qualify as a member of the Oceanic Six, but considering the murders that he committed in order to save himself and his son Walt, Jack and the rest of the Oceanic Six will not consider him family or friend; thus perfectly fulfilling the future scene at the funeral home.

One final glaring hint which suggests that Michael may be the man in the coffin, is that he is a native of New York City; he returned to Manhattan after escaping from the island; and he traveled from New York City again in order to join up with the crew of the Kahana. As we know from the obituary seen in the flash forward, the man in the coffin is likewise from New York City. While Michael's/Kevin's name may not match that of the deceased man named in the obituary, there is a plausible explanation for this. If Michael changed his name once in order to conceal his true identity, isn't it possible that with Ben's help, he could change it again for matters of security?

In conclusion, I strongly suspect that Michael will be one of the Oceanic Six, but that he will die sometime in the near future, and end up in that coffin . . . but it is still just a theory. :)

It was a pretty good episode; not fantastic, but well enough to hold your attention and cause a few moments of suspense.
  • What Happened to Michael? Find out here.

High expectations for this episode and they were met for the most part. Aside from some minor pacing issues, this was a darn fine episode of Lost. Much was revealed and more tension was built up for the next set of episodes to come in five weeks.

The episode begins with Sayid and Desmond confronting Michael.

It seems Michael and Walt made it back to NYC, and Michael is rather depressed. He gets in his car, pins a note to himself, and drives full speed into a shipping container. He survives and sees Libby as his nurse, but he is hallucinating. He tries to visit Walt who is living with his Grandma, but isn't allowed to go in, catching only a glimpse of him from the windom. Michael pawns the watch Jin gave him for a gun and bullets trying to kill himself again only to be interrupted by...Tom! They fight a bit, but Tom informs Michael that the island will not let him kill himself, and that he has work to do. Michael tries to shoot himself again, but the gun jams every time. Michael meets Tom and Tom's boyfriend (saw that coming a mile away) at a nice penthouse suite with Tom informing Michael that the Others need him to stop the freighter crew which will spare Ben, the Island, and redeem Michael for killing Ana Lucia and Libby by sparing everyone else. Michael relents and heads to Fiji to catch the boat. It is here he meets Naomi, Minkowski (who seemed really nice), Miles, and Lapidus. Miles is on to Michael's ruse, but doesn't care and Lapidus is aware of the truth behind 815 and knows Widmore hired him, but not why. While cleaning the deck, Michael sees the mercenaries ont the boat taking target practice, he asks why they are doing this if it's a rescue mission-they tell him to get back to work. Michael also received a box when he arrived on the freighter, a box with a heck of a lot of C4 explosive. When he tries to set it off, a flag appears and tells him "not yet". Minkowski summons Michael with word of a call from "Walt" when Michael takes it, he finds Ben on the other end who is impressed that he tried to detonate the bomb. He tells Michael that there are innocent people on the boat, and they deserve to be spared. He also tells Michael he is one of the good guys. When the flashback ends, Sayid hauls Michael to Captain Gault and tells him everything.

On the island Locke and company, Ben included, talk to Miles. Team Locke is rather worried about the impending attack. Ben gives Alex a map to the temple and tells her to go there with Rousseau and Karl. The three of them stop for a water break when they are attacked by a sniper. Karl is killed at once and Rousseau is killed trying to get Alex to safety. Alex surrenders and exclaims that she is Ben's daughter-episode ends.

Pretty intense at times, there was alot of information revealed. It was good to know what lead up to Michael being on the boat. Tom revealed (and showed proof) of how Widmore faked the 815 wreck in the ocean. He used bodies from Thailand, bought an old airplane, and put it in a place where nobody could fish out the bodies. This of course is all contingent upon the parties involved telling the truth, which in this case seems likely. Widmore has a lot to gain by faking the wreck.

Michael's flashback was very interesting and encompassed most of the show. Though the entire episode was paced slow, some parts were a little too slow. The ending was shocking and very exciting, the entire episode gave us something to look forward to.

Overall technically good-solid acting, writing, and directing. A slow pace isn't bad, but it went between slow and very slow which threw it off a bit. It's going to be a long five weeks, but I am sure it will be worth the wait.
  • Another solid episode of LOST.

Another solid episode of LOST.

For the second week running, something new went on. This time we had a flashback with a difference. It wasn't a flashback of what happened before getting on the island, it was a flashback of went on between the time that Michael left the island, and Windmore's crew got to the island.

In this episode we continued to see how Ben is completely manipulative. He got total control on what Michael can do. We also found out that Michael and Walt aren't on good terms anymore, after Michael told him he killed Ana Lucia and Libby.

We see two deaths in the end, by a mysterious assailant. This should make things more interesting. The question is who was the assailant? And was this all a trap by Ben since he sent his daughter and co there?
  • Finally answered unanswered questions, while at the same time opening up s few more, true Lost style! Just a Bit on the slow side though....

Despite starting with a very good opening, I was a tad disappointed with the Michael Flashback. I wanted more emotion. I was expecting to see everything from when he first saw land and knew he had made it home. It was also annoying how the flashback was like 90% of the episode, and yet it even contained a few spot that could have been shorter to allow more Island time, which seems to be lackin this season. It was nice to know he is haunted by what he did to Anna and Libby though, it sorta redeems him for doing that.

Now back to the Island. Its hard to believe Danielle Rousseau and Karl got shot. I know we don't know if they're dead, but if they are that really is an add up of more pointless deaths on lost. When is someone we HATE going to die. Obviously Ben isn't since we know he makes it off the island..... Overall good episode, tad slow, few things I didn't like, But I wouldn't say it was a bad episode! could have been better though.
  • LOST Season 4 " Meet Kevin Johnson" (oilers spay) good episode left alot of questions, but was pretty interesting especially the 2nd half of the show.

Wow, that was kind of interesting eventhough now I'm more confused than I ever was about who is really good and who is really the bad people we can't trust. I think that is cool, you don't know who you're pulling for, with the exception of a few of the people in the island.

It took me a while to realize it was a flash back and not a flash foward with Micheal and Walt. That makes me wonder what will happen to them. They should have had Sayid try to blow up the boat, sorry that was the first and last innapropriate suicide bomber joke. He iwas in the Republican Guard for Saddam you know. Speaking of Sayid what the hell is his problem, why wouldn't he wait to see if this was going to help him. He might have put himself and Desmond in danger too, and doesn't he care that he pretty much is goign to get Micheal killed and Walt won't have a Dad. Maybe this is how Micheal will die, who knows. How did Walt get back on the island? I can't wait to find that out since Locke has seen him. He was back after the boat took them back and Micheal is back on the boat but will Tom take him back? Is he dead? Is that his ghost? Was that small casket his? I don't know because his grandma would have gone if it was his caskett and if Micheal was already dead. I also wanted to state I knew it was Tom by his voice and the fact it had his character listed in this episode on www.tv.com I didn't know Tom was gay kind of seemed to be put in there for no reason, I have nothing against it but it had nothing to do with the story. I guess it was just more background of his character and who he is.

Finally the end... what the hell is going on. I personally think Ben is the shooter. He took out Carl, Ben gave a look when Carl had his hand on his daughter's butt. Carl was killed that was shocking but not a big deal, but Danielle, she has been there over 16 years and it sucks that's how she died, but I can see Ben killing her, he has no loyalty to her. That is why Alex was the only one to live, I don't know why she yelled that she was Ben's daughter after he told her that they would kill her if they knew who she was. Maybe she was grief stricken since her mom and her boyfriend were just gunned down.
  • wow. really good!! ending was alright could have been better

i loved the music through out this, and a come back of old tunes. it was well written and showed what mr. dawson has been doing since he got off the island. thought sayid was a bit of an idiot for ratting out Micheal but thats the story. the flag popping out was funny. i loved the music through out this, and a come back of old tunes. it was well written and showed what mr. dawson has been doing since he got off the island. thought sayid was a bit of an idiot for ratting out Micheal but thats the story. the flag popping out was funny.
  • A half decent showing of lost filling in the gaps of how michael came to be on the boat. Not much else though

This episode was much better than the dry episode we had to suffer through last week. At least we got answers quickly as opposed to waiting several episodes if not series. However, though the episode had the answers to what happened with michael, not much else happened that was too interesting until the very end. Though it was a bit obvious something was going to happen. I for one am unsure as to whether they are dead being that this is the island and anything goes really so dont be suprised to see both of them running back around soon enough!

There isnt much more to say really about this episode. it filled in the gaps on michael and that was pretty much it. I think its a bit of a stupid idea for us to believe that "the island" wont let michael kill himself, but things like this are now commonplace for the lost writers. Why did the island let Jin die?

Being that the episode was relevant and was interesting to watch i cant fault it too much but it was still a bit dull and uneventful and for that i am disappointed as now we have no new episodes for quite some time and not much of an interesting cliff hanger to leave us with.
  • This was a very interesting episode. Finally Michael's story and motive for being Ben's spy is revealed, some characters became more interesting & the unanswered questions that this episode put in my head were just entertaining.

-The flashback is shown without any interruption from the present, and is quite good. It explains well what happened to Michael after he left. - The flashback made me wonder if Tom was bluffing when he said "The island won't let you die" and sabotaged the gun or switch it with another one
    - It will be very interesting what role will Michael have in the future in the series. Also that very short scene with Michael made Miles more interesting to me
    -I found it very entertaning how they made unclear on which side are Ben and Widmore. -The final scene on the boat makes me think that things won't continue as the writers would want us to think. Maybe there is another spy on the boat, maybe the captain.

- this episode just confirmed that the survivors at the barracks are Ben's puppets. It will be interesting to see if he will turn them against the freighters and against the survivors at the beach
    - The final scene was very good and unexpected. I can't wait to have an answer to just what the hell happened (I seriously hope Danielle isn't dead)
  • Linus will find a way to get it.

I'll break this episode down much like I do any other - into three parts. The first being the first eight minutes of the island storyline, then Michaels backstory, followed by the ending island scenes and the cliffhanger we will be hanging on for 5 weeks as we wait for Lost season four to start back up again.

Once again - an episode in season four draws a low rating the night I watch it (9.2) but scores higher once I rewatch it. Going over the first part of the episode (setting up Micheals story, I thought was very well done. Loved the first scene with the team metting at Lockes residence with Ben coming clean to everyone about Michael. Good reaction from Sawyer - but no one else was really there to get upset about it. Would have liked to see hurley say a little something "No. No. No Way, No!" Something along those lines but changed a bit from the last time he said it. Overall though - great scene where Claire asks if Ben is now "One of Us", which is a very godo question at the moment. Switch over to Captain Gault anihilating someone trying to leave the ship. I think that actor is fantastic. He has a way about him that when he starts to yell it doesn't sound like hes going out of character. He has a very good leadership quality to him which makes him very believable when hes shouting out orders. Great production pick up there. Then Sayid "goes all Sayid" on Michael and we begin the flashback. Overall - solid 10/10 for the opening 8 minutes.

Flashback - Things I liked and didn't like. Didn't like that he was just "home" out of nowhere. Really needed to see him return in some way, shape, or form. I can understand the giant Walt argument, but give us a little indication of the island. Where did Michael sail into? He just sailed up to a port and went back to New York? How he got back home needed to be there and it wasn't. Scene with Michael trying to kill himself - amazing. Great music choice to be playing in the background with "Its getting better every day" - really liked it. So other then no rescue being shown the first 12 minutes had this episode still at a 10/10. Then it gets bumpy. Four minute scene with his mother came off as informative, but very boring. Didnt care for the mother playing his actress and the entire scene came off as a bit meh. He leaves there to buy and gun and meets Tom in alley. Back to amazing. Great choice of Tom and Michael to talk. Loved the fact Toms character is in fact gay in this episode, which was alluded to a long time ago but still...good to see them get back to it. Michael + Boat (around 28 minutes in) is where it got really meh. Didn't care for the trick with the bomb, though it set up a later scene really well. Sometimes I feel the writers draw out certain scenes. Why two-three minutes of Michael just trying to kill himself. I understand the hesitation, but why not push execute and have the flag come out right away? Why wait 15-20 seconds? The suspense isn't there no matter how hard you try to make the music seem like it is. Cutting out seconds like these could make for more packed and better paced episodes. MIchael talking with Keamy was cool, but came across as kind of a long, drawn out scene. Boat scene picked up again with Michael and Ben. Emerson just makes every actor better - loved that conversation. Flashback - overall solid, boring at some points though. At this point we are 36 minutes into the episode and I say I enjoyed about 26-28 minutes of the episode to this point.

Not too much left other then just two scenes now. Sayid becoming a G and turning Michael in was cool - but I did wonder the quick decision made by Sayid.I understand the Ben Linus hatred of Sayid, but with Micheals story I thought Desmond would have been like "Hey - Widemore is a bad dude" too. Quick decision, but it paid off. Loved Andrews acting there. Cliffhanger - Mira Furlan can't act. I'm sorry. Shes so plain, nothing exciting about her. She delievers her lines in the same way everytime. Karl and Danielle are shot by unknown people is a good cliffhanger - but the "emotion" and the dialouge weren't in that scene.

Overal, solid episode. Highest expectations so far and it did dissapoint on that level. However, solid 9.4 and in the better half of the season so far I think.
  • Michael is an utterly boring character.

This show has made me a spiteful person.

Spending so much time on Michael really makes me hope he'll be killed off soon. Is that wrong?

Seems to me that this entire episode was wasted on what should have been an 8 minute flashback: Michael's post-island past/future is hardly interesting, and lacks any real meat. This reeks of another "filler" episode, where nothing interesting happens, very few questions are answered, and the few answers we get are to questions we really don't care about.

Hopefully the writers will get with it and start giving us episodes that aren't a total waste of time.
  • Nooooo.....

Oh.. this episode was.. it started quite interestingly and then we had most of the time about Michael's motives and Michael's past - what happened with him when he get off the island, what he did and why he ended up in the ship. To say, it was quite interesting - the killing part specially, but overall - I did not buy it. It missed some logic. And it got even more illogical when Sayid just took him to the captain and told who he is. What? Why? Because he said: I came here to die and Sayid can only win by revealing him and nothing to lose?

Ok, there was little other storyline with Ben and the camp. He makes Alex, Rousseau and Karl to some safe place, ending up sending them to a fire.. where both Rousseau and Karl die.. (I really hope not).. I do not know.. that part looked even more illogical than Michael's story - to kill them? for what? ok, it is a great mystery that keeps us waiting, that's good.. but.. why? I most say? Rousseau have been there from the beginning.. and.. Anyway.. there is again.. much questions.. and little answers.. very little, to be honest.
  • I disagree w/ reviewer thirdoptical! Mike will and did everything he could to get his son back, true some choices he made were bad moves but noone can really say what they would do if put in his shoes. I dont like how the writers killed2reallygoodcharac.

First Jin in a wierd trick the viewer flashback/forward dumb ep. Then Mike comes back as an even weaker character than when he left, he tells his son what he did to those women? That was kind of out of character for me since was willing to go to such depths to get Walt back only to whuss out and mess his kids head up. His mom and son practically hate him now, and its all because of the evil Ben. Even though Mr. Lynus is constantly stating otherwise.

I even was upset when Ben told Mike he didnt ever say for Mike to kill Anna and the other female, but every one inculuding Mike seem to forget that this wouldnt have happend if Ben hadnt of kidnapped Walt to begin w/!
    Plus Mike is never his own master of his destiny just some servant to b ordered around and belittled by every one almost every scene Mike is in. And now Sayid who is snitching Mike out is going to b the next servant of Bens as seen in the Flash forward ep. earliar this season, how much u wanna Bet Mike is the one who ends up in the coffin as seen aswell on the season 3 finale?

I just hope they stop killing off good strong minority characters in this show because soon it will begin to be fully apeareant it is on purpouse. And no more of Ben's gay right hand fat man please he is just plain outright getting annoying.
  • not impressed

4.2
    ok first things first: you can't just shoot rousso (don't really care much as to the correct spelling*) like that. Ok I actually don't really like her but as seen as she's been quite an important character since season 1 i think it was jus a bad move and rubbish viewing. secondly as a first half season break it kinda sucked. ok it's great to hav michael back but lets face it, my dogs b***s have more viewing pleasure in them then this episode.... highly disappointed

*ok before all you lost ubergeeks hav a go at me about not really caring about the spelling of the character's name (don't get me wrong i love the show and am a keen fan) jus realise that if u care that much about the spelling of the french lady's name to have a go at me about it then you are really quite sad and spend too much time focussing on tv shows rather than the more substantial things in life....
  • I got lost in the details

I won't lie. Last night's episode was probably my least favorite of the season. It was weighty and slow. A lot of the information that Frank revealed to Michael was stuff the viewers already knew. I really expected that this would be a very revealing episode, but it just wasn't. From start to finish it just seemed like it had been done already. I know they needed to tell Michael's part of the story, but I felt like they could have done it in conjunction with another episode. Last night's story line did not need it's own show. All of what got accomplished could have been worked into other episodes. I was also disappointed to find out that this was the last of the pre strike episodes. There will be no more until the end of April. It was not a good note to leave the viewers on. The whole season has been amazing until this. I hope that the post strike shows will redeem this misstep.
  • Always exciting!

Another great episode of this amazing show! Now we know the story of Michael and why he started working for Ben. The island is still very present in his life, in a way that he became kind of an "unbreakable", he survives a brutal car accident, and he tries to shoot himself the gun simply doesn't fire the bullet! This episode doesn't add almost anything in the present time but it helps by giving those old Michael questions some answers. Finally, it ends with the killing of Carl and Rousseau and with Ben's daughter in a bad situation... and we have to wait a month to know what's next!
  • Great episode to go to break to. Sayid confronts Michael about how he came to be on the boat. Michael's flashback shows him wanting to commit sucide, esstranged from Walt, and his fate by meeting Mr. Friendly, who offers him to go undercover on the boat.

Good episode and a great way to give Michael a intro back into the Lost mix. The new ideas that were presented in this episode open up a lot. The fact that the island can mess with you even after you have left is now confirmed with this episode after seeing Mike try to kill himself multiple times. I like Mr.Smiley coming back into relivence, but the writers "revealing" that he is homosexual was kind of random and irrelivent to the storyline. It will be interesting to see if Michael returns home to New York or goes back to the island. Either way we may see a return of Walt soon. The ending was somewhat disappointing. I like Danielle and Carl, yet I think both were good characters to kill off. Carl isnt that important. And Danielle lost her relivence after awhile. She has also been on long enough were we have a connection with her, yet she isnt a main character. We might see the character of Alex open up more in later episodes. Now she has to deal with the fac that the only person she has left in her life is Ben and she cant trust him. Good thing is some of the untold story lines were somewhat patched up and not many new questions were presented. Overall a good episode that made me excited going into the five week break that makes me want more.
  • Hugely disappointing

4.1
    Quite frankly I thought that was a dreadful episode. Having been really excited to see what had happened to Michael, we instead have a weakly plotted explanation. Walt won't talk to his Dad because he had to shoot some people to rescue him? I don't think so! Michael's mother won't let him see Walt? And Michael just accepts that? I don't think so! This is the guy that shot 2 people just to be back with him. And now he won't even walk past his mother? No way am I having that.

Then, we've got Tom in the real world doing the most cheesy acting ever and what has happened to his accent? We find out Ben and co are claiming Penny's dad planted the plane. In honesty, I don't care. I don't know why but I don't. I loved the first 3 seasons but this season has gone off on a tangent that just isn't working for me. Apart from the Constant, none of the storyline seems to link sufficiently to anything in the first 3 seasons. Really disappointed I have to say.

Add to this we have the fact that The Others need Michael to be the spy on the boat. Why?? If they know who and where Widmore is, why don't they just kill him instead of sending Michael (who was bound to be found out) on the boat as a spy? And why would Michael agree to it? The bit with the bomb was really weak as well.

And as for the ending, it came from nowhere, there was no build up to it and it just seems to me the makers know lots of people are wondering about Rousseau and demanding a flashback but she is apparently not up for being in the show for long so they've taken the easy route to avoid any problems.

I really hope I am wrong but Lost seems to have LOST it's direction.
  • Good episode for the most part, but the ending was too abrupt and we didn't see much else with any of the other characters.

7.8
    I agree that Michael's story had to be told, but I think it could've been explained in shorter form instead of taking up most of the alotted 43 minutes or so. I did like it, but I guess I wanted more information about Ben from Miles. Maybe will find out more about this in the next episode, but we have to wait for over a month until the next installment.

A big majority of the cast didn't appear in this episode. I can accept that to a point, but this is the second week in a row where some of the main characters weren't a big part of the show as previously. This is disappointing, but we do know more about the island and it's mystical properties which still have an effect on people who have left. This has been pointed to a number of times with Jack, Hurley, and now Michael. We also had some question's resolved that have been lingering since the end of season 2, so it's not all bad.

Now for those who are having a problem with the island and its magic. It has been explained since season one, when Locke first started walking after being crippled, that the island was special. So you knew this and should not be complaining. Other miracles of course include Sun getting pregnant by Jin after she found out previously that Jin was unable to make babies. Also during the pilot episode, when the plane first came apart, there was no way so many would've survived that wreck without the island's magic having something to do with it. This is Lost. That's what makes it so intriguing because it's sort of like the Twilight Zone, and that's why I watch it. I don't know about everybody else, but I'm sick of reality shows.

THe ending was something that I did find was weak. It seemed like the writers were trying to cram so much into the 43 minutes that the ending was rushed. WHat I'm about to say is a spoiler, so you've been warned.

SPOILER ALERT! SPOILER ALERT!!

Rousseau dying just seemed wrong. Not the dying part, but the way she was killed. FOr three and a half season's ROusseau has shown how resourceful she is, and the way she was killed off was just pathetic. SHe should've died fighting for her daughter, maybe take a bullet so that her daughter could get away. Instead the writers have her tell her daughter how much she loves her and then as she stands up to run with her daughter she is shot right there, leaving her daughter vulnerable. Carl the boyfriend was also killed, but he wasn't a big part of the series for as long as ROusseau. HIs death didn't bother me as much for that reason.

Overall the episode was good but not great. THe few answers we got were adequate, but I miss Jack, Kate, and even Claire. I also want to learn more about Ben Linus. THe ending is really what hurt this episode the most though, but it was still good.
  • Lost tries to keep a balance between rules of physics and phenomenons of metaphysics.

Lost tries to keep a balance between rules of physics and phenomenons of metaphysics. To name a few we have the monster (black smoke), the healing forces of the island, premonitions, characters foreseeing events before they happen. Now we have a new circumstance added to this, which is, that good people leaving the island are unable to die or at least unable to kill themselves. Could that be the reason to the frustration of Jack and Hurley? In my humble opinion trying to explain psychical events with the rules of physics makes lost so interesting. Just thinking of magnetic waves, relativity theory etc.
    My premonition is that we will have more of that stuff in future episodes. :) Patience to everyone until next episode.
  • great episode

Michael is suffering from guilt for murdering ana lucia and libby. He tries to commit suicide, but he survives. Back at the island barracks, Ben tells Alex of an impending attack, he urges her to go to a part of the island that is safe. Sayid and Desmond interrogate Michael. We get to see a flashback of what happened to Michael after he betrayed his fellow survivors. It's a really interesting episode, the Michael episode explains a lot of what happened to him. We get to see Walt quite a bit. The writers really made this episode interesting, i can't wait for the next one.
  • Very disappointing episode.

There is rarely an episode of Lost that I don't like...this was one of them.

Mainly, it's because it didn't tell me anything I didn't already know.

Yes, it filled in some blanks as to how it all exactly happened, but we already knew that Michael got recruited by Ben and that he was on the boat.

The details don't seem to be all that relevant in the grand scheme of things, so it kind of seems like a waste of an episode.

Seems like the writers really wanted to squeeze in Michael's story as a way of reintroducing him to the show.

Lets hope that I'm wrong and those details suddenly become a big deal.
  • Over a season's worth of storytelling crammed into one very enjoyable episode.

In case we'd forgotten about Michael in his season (and a bit) long absence we were treated to an incredibly long previously sequence that covered pretty much his entire character from the first two seasons. Although this was long it was edited well to show what he'd done and appropriately set up his flashback. Then again Sawyer summed it up in about two lines so maybe the previously sequence wasn't needed after all. After finally getting our first scene with Michael in last week's episode the main point of this one was to show how he got there. I have kind of mixed feelings about how this was done. They abandon the typical flashback structure of having them interspersed between scenes on the island and mix it up a bit (actually for the record the only "traditional" flashback they've had so far this season was Juliet's).

Michael's flashback plays out in a oner, not unlike Desmond's in "Flashes Before Your Eyes". This gives us a clear picture of what Michael's been up to in the season and a bit we haven't seen him. We find out that his relationship with Walt has deteriorated and that he wants to end it all by killing himself. His flashback pretty much covers everything which does make for a good mid-season finale. My only slight gripe with it is that after three years of Lost giving us snippets of information this seems like a lot of information to tae in all at once. Assuming Michael's going to be on the show for a while then there'll be more time to go into more detail about these things, but to be honest the way it's played out does make for a better episode.

Nothing was really skipped past and it all flowed well. The only real issue is that whether or not we'll get more about Walt; considering the problems with the actor having aged (as they used a stand in for him in this episode) it is possible there could be no more scenes between the two of them again on the show. Still that's for a later episode, so onto this one. It turns out that the island won't let Michael die which in true Lost fashion reveals nothing to us. It could show more of what power the island holds, or it could be that the gun Tom gave him was made to purposely jam when fired. Speaking of Tom we find out that he's gay in this episode. I've nothing against that but it seemed tacked on as an attempt at political correctness. Obviously there has to be a gay character on any TV show these days, but then again it had been hinted at in earlier episodes and it was hardly a big story point.

So once Michael agrees to help the Others they manage to get him onto the freighter with the intention of blowing it up. This is where we got an interesting perspective of many of the new characters from Michael's perspective. I liked Frank anyway, but it's good to have his intentions made clear that he wants to help any survivors of flight 815. Then there's Miles who becomes more likeable here by not ratting out Michael, even though I don't like the idea of his ghostbusting/psychic ability thing. It's a bit of a shame we didn't get to see Daniel or Charlotte though. Michael does eventually decide to go through with destroying the ship but it ends up being a fake-out. Ben didn't want to take out everyone on the ship because some of them were innocent and didn't know about Charles Widmore's true intentions. Ben used this to point out the difference between himself and Widmore to both Michael and the viewers. Assuming he's telling the truth this does give more credibility to his comments about being one of the "good guys". The real point of the episode was to get the audience back on Michael's side. I know a lot of folk hated him for what he did to get his son back (as I wasn't a huge fan of Anna-Lucia or Libby I wasn't all that bothered by it). This was done very well by not only showing his remorse as to what he's done and how he can't live with it, but by adding a special treat (presumably from the island) it really hit home. After promising us that they would eventually get to Libby's story we finally see her for the first time since season 2. Although no more of her story was addressed it was nice to see her back (and looking quite fit actually) and it really added to what Michael was going through.

As his flashback took up the majority of the episode there's not too much to add about the on island stuff. Sayid turning in Michael after hearing his story may seem a bit daft but in fairness from his perspective it was probably the best course of action. He believes Ben to be the enemy and anyone who sides with him is therefore also an enemy. The ending unfortunately brought down the episode a bit. Funnily enough for each of the last three episodes I've had this feeling that someone would be shot whilst having a heart-warming moment with their other half. Here this actually happened, but I wasn't too bothered. Alex works well as Danielle's daughter and not much else, she's not a strong enough character to hold a cliffhanger ending the way she tried to. Karl's death was a bit surprising but he's even less of a character than Alex so killing him was probably the best bet. Danielle being shot however was surprising, and very annoying. That said it appeared that she was hit in the side and so I'm guessing she'll survive, Hell we've seen folk come back from worse than that on this show!

So it was a strong episode, if not a strong cliffhanger, to keep us going for the next few weeks over the forced break before the season continues. As usual more questions were raised than answered (do we believe Ben or Widmore about who staged the plane wreckage?) but only just as we did get a boatload of information on Michael. Hopefully he can continue to have a strong reason to be in the show after this and that the season will continue with the quality it's had in these first eight episodes.
  • Everything about Kevin Johnson

A superb Michael-centric episode,the episode that we have all been waiting for delivers what it promises.
    I loved the flashback, we learned what happened to him. He followed Ben's instructions and managed to go back home. There, he has a miserable life after he tells Walt that he is a murderer. Walt does not want to be around him anymore. Michael continuously attempts to kill himself, but he always remains alive. In one of his attempts, Tom appears telling him that the island won't let him die,and that he has work to do. That's how he got a fake identity and travel along with the freighter-crew. Ben wanted him to kill everyone on-board.
    Back on the island, Ben sends Danielle,Karl and Alex to the temple in order to be safe. On their way to the temple, Karl and Danielle are being shot from people we don't see!
    Interesting flashback and great ending!
  • Disappointing and not very believable episode. Michael's history is far too stretched (time-wise) and nothing much is happening but in the last 5 minutes.

Decided to do this review with spoilers so beware. Will warn before them.
    For those who like the Michael character it's a heavenly episode. For those who don't (me included) it's a nightmare.
    Leaving that aside, here are my observations:
    1. Michael's background story is far too stretched and takes up almost the entire episode. The time for the current affairs is very limited.
    2. The narration to Sayid/Desmond of his story alone, lasts for 29 minutes non-stop! Never been done for a character/s before, non-stop like this and makes one wonder of the stretch.
    3. It's not plausible that Michael has enough time to explain all this. It shouldn't take more than 5' to get a replacement valve -he send someone for it- hardly enough time to tell the story.
    4. The heli pilot reveals the purpose of the boat to the deckhand (Michael) the moment he meets him. Please!
    4. =SPOILERS= Sayid acts completely out of character at the end. A man who supposedly knows when others lie and until now has been very careful with his steps, choses to trust someone he doesn't know (the captain) over Michael. He doesn't even take time to reflect on the two different stories the two men tell him and decides on the spot to blow Michael's cover. Understandable he betrayed them to save his life but still Sayid's action is something only Charlie would do.
    5. =SPOILERS= Rousseau, a character who managed to survive all others on the island (before the crash) and avoid many perils, chooses to run away like a blonde-bimbo in a cheesy horror flick (apologies to blondes, it's just a movies' cliche) when sniper bullets fly about. How about crawling? 'Unbe-f***ing-lievable' (and to my knowledge this was first said in "A Fish Called Wanda")and the result is predicted of course.

=TINY SPOILER= The only fun part (which actually made me laugh) is Tom's 'indulgence' (as he says) with a guy and the few moments with Miles. He always has a good/fun line up until now.

So to sum it all up, it's not a believable episode.
    We learn what happened to Michael but all that detail isn't necessary. I'm fed up with the "he's my son" line and after all this he manages to lose him by telling him what he did. So he actually cancels all his efforts by telling his son what he did. Again... please!

One can forgive some of this, had it been for an in-between episode, but for a hanger type (1 month apart from the next) it's a boring episode and a huge disappointment.
< 1 2 3