Lost

Meet Kevin Johnson

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Mar 20, 2008 on ABC

• In what was the most hyped episode of the season, we learn what happened when Michael left the island. Strong start, decent all around, but really, not much happened. And I say this knowing people will disagree with me anyways.

Ok, so first things first. Before you disagree with this review, let's think about things.

This episode was a Michael-centric episode and the flashback was really well told. We get to see Michael agonizing over killing Ana and Libby, get to see him try to kill himself and see the plan develop which will eventually bring him to the frieghter.

This is all well and good. Everything about Michael was well done.

Here's my problem.

If you really think about it, nothing happened.

Nothing.

We learn why Michael is on the boat. Check.

We learn that Sayid turns Michael over. Check.

Other than that? Nothing much.

Sure, Rousseau and Alex's BF die (or maybe they don't, on this show who knows), meaning that there are hostiles on the island, but other than that, we're in no different position now than we were a week ago.

Now, I'm not saying this was a bad episode. I love this show and this did it's purpose. But, really, to me it was kind of a letdown at the end.

I give it an 8.7 as a rating not because it was a bad show but because, compared to other episodes this season, I feel it was ok, solid, but not spectacular.

That being said, I am absolutely thrilled with what I saw in the preview at the end. (semi-spoilers) We finally got a straight up reveal on the Oceanic six and found out there will be blood! MWAH!!!!

This episode did it's job to whet my appitite for the rest of the year. Nothing more, Nothing less.
  • Michael is back, and his episode was great too.

Alright, haven't reviewed a LOST episode in a very long time, but I thought it was necessary to review the mid-season finale that I must say WAS NOT intended to be a mid-season finale because S4 was originally planned to go 16-straight episodes without a break. Well the strike ruined that, and it's UNFORTUNATE people are reviewing this episode as a true mid-season finale...because it wasn't supposed to be.

With that said, this was my favorite episode out of the first 8 episode. The Constant is very close though I might add.

Basically this episode was a flashback showing what happened to Michael after he left. While on the boat, or when Walt and Michael got back to NYC Michael told Walt he had killed Ana-Lucia and Libby. Now Walt hates Michael and Walt now lives with his grandma.

Michael wants to commit suicide. BUT the island won't let Michael kill himself according to Tom aka Mr. Friendly. Tom meets with him, and eventually convinces Michael to go to Fiji to board the freighter...the one that's near out island.

Before Michael goes on the boat though, he wants to find out how 815 was found in the ocean. Tom tells that Widmore is behind the cover-up. Widmore got all those dead bodies from Thailand. I believe Tom. Widmore IS the bad guy.

So Michaels on the boat. We see him meet Naomi, George and Miles. He also gets a visit from Libby who tells Michael "don't do it", talking about pushing a button that would blow up the freighter. The bomb though, was a fraud. Ben wants Michael to kill the freighties, but not the innocent people.

Back to the NOW time. Sayid is disgusted Michael is working for Ben(which is funny because we know sayid works for him in the future), so Sayid takes Michael into the Captains office...and tells him Michael isn't who he says he is.

Meanwhile, earlier in the ON ISLAND beginning Ben tells Alex to got to THE TEMPLE where the Others are. Danielle, and Karl go as well. At the end of the episode Karl is shot and killed by an unconfirmed person(My bet is Omar from the freighter...or just a random freghtie). Danielle tells Alex to run with her...unfortunately Danielle is shot. We have no idea if she's dead. The episode ends with Alex getting up, putting her hands in the air saying "I'M BENS DAUGHTER"...probably indicating it's the freghties....and they'll use Alex as a tool to get Ben.

Great episode. Glad Michaels back!!! Can't wait for April 24th!!!
  • Lost tries to keep a balance between rules of physics and phenomenons of metaphysics.

Lost tries to keep a balance between rules of physics and phenomenons of metaphysics. To name a few we have the monster (black smoke), the healing forces of the island, premonitions, characters foreseeing events before they happen. Now we have a new circumstance added to this, which is, that good people leaving the island are unable to die or at least unable to kill themselves. Could that be the reason to the frustration of Jack and Hurley? In my humble opinion trying to explain psychical events with the rules of physics makes lost so interesting. Just thinking of magnetic waves, relativity theory etc.
    My premonition is that we will have more of that stuff in future episodes. :) Patience to everyone until next episode.
  • Nooooo.....

Oh.. this episode was.. it started quite interestingly and then we had most of the time about Michael's motives and Michael's past - what happened with him when he get off the island, what he did and why he ended up in the ship. To say, it was quite interesting - the killing part specially, but overall - I did not buy it. It missed some logic. And it got even more illogical when Sayid just took him to the captain and told who he is. What? Why? Because he said: I came here to die and Sayid can only win by revealing him and nothing to lose?

Ok, there was little other storyline with Ben and the camp. He makes Alex, Rousseau and Karl to some safe place, ending up sending them to a fire.. where both Rousseau and Karl die.. (I really hope not).. I do not know.. that part looked even more illogical than Michael's story - to kill them? for what? ok, it is a great mystery that keeps us waiting, that's good.. but.. why? I most say? Rousseau have been there from the beginning.. and.. Anyway.. there is again.. much questions.. and little answers.. very little, to be honest.
  • Meet Kevin Johnson

A powerful episode here where we saw Ben try to protect his daughter Alex from the impending attack. We saw the Ben character really become three dimensional for his relationship with his daughter and it was one of the most shocking moments in show history, one of the few good ones after Season 1, when she ended up dying.

We knew Kevin Johnson would end up being Michael, but that does not mean this was not a good moment in the show. His exit from Lost was disappointing and I kind of wish he would could have stayed around for a long time.
  • Say it with me: ANSWERS!

We meet Michael again and we learn that he's on the boat to kill himself because he's informed by the newly outed Tom that the island won't let him commit suicide. A massive portion of this episode is dedicated to the filling in of the blanks involving Michael but we also learn that Ben's enemies are closing in on them and Sayid and Desmond are ready to reveal the true identity of Michael. The return of Michael was only a matter of time since his departure in the Season 2 finale; not only because he was still being credited but because left on such and abrupt note. This episode informs us on what happened to him after in a way that's easy to follow but still leaves things to the imagination.

Thanks to a stirring performance from Harold Perrineau and brilliant direction and writing; the long flashback is fantastic and what happens on the island (not much) is also nicely done.

A few bits didn't quite gel however; the episode just feels unfinished with an awkward and almost rushed ending and the inclusion and revelation that Tom is gay seems out of place.

The acting is on top of it's game but Perrineau holds up the episode himself and does so superbly.

All in all; this a terrific episode of Lost and proof that that the series really is going somewhere.
  • The beginning of the war.

Had the strike gone on longer than it did, this would've had to suffice for the season finale. Thank God it was resolved, because most of the fandom would probably contemplate going into a coma to alleviate the wait. It would've been bittersweet for a season that hit so many high marks to end prematurely. In addition, "Lost" didn't rework its season to give the viewers closure as "Heroes" did (although "Heroes" had a far less satisfying season), assuming they couldn't produce more episodes within the standard TV season. With six more episodes being produced, this unbelievably satisfying and entertaining season can get a proper resolution.

Lindelof & Cuse compared this episode's ending to when Ana-Lucia and Libby were shot, which is appropriate. The season is about to shift, rather than close. Had they rewritten this to accommodate a longer strike, they might've revealed more about the freighties and how the Oceanic Six got off the island, but it would've been premature. Instead, the episode delves into what happened to Michael after he sailed off the island in the second season finale while showing a glimpse of who the freighties are.

Of course, Michael being Ben's inside man was the worst kept secret in "Lost" history, a product of the producers knowing there was no way to keep it a secret ("24" and "Prison Break" did similar press with returning cast members). Considering his character, it makes sense for him to return. Michael's major fault he's trying to atone for, unlike his fellow castaways, happened after the crash. Yes he wasn't a part of Walt's life until after Walt's mother died, but taking two lives to get him back from the Others trumps anything else. With most of the cast trying to find redemption, Michael's story wasn't done yet. Also, the unanswered questions with Walt are too big to go unanswered.

So we see a brief glimpse of his life post-island (although no shot involving how he got back) and it isn't pretty. He's in a funk similar to Jack in his flash forwards. He's drowning in guilt and it's estranged him from Walt, now living with his grandmother in secret. He lost everything he cared about and attempts suicide several times, but ironically sees redemption in The Others when Tom recruits him to be Ben's inside man.

Tom's line that the island won't let Michael kill himself has generated some controversy, but it isn't as corny as it might've sounded. Consider Locke suddenly losing control of his legs in "Deus Ex Machina", which saved his life as well as Desmond's since Locke's frustration gave Desmond hope when he contemplated suicide. In that same category could be Jack's suicide attempt in "Through the Looking Glass", where a car crash literally pulled Jack from the ledge. Some have theorized the island orchestrated those things to keep key players around, so it's hardly a whipped up concept.

With the episode devoted to what happened to Michael during the third season, many must've expected some bigger reveals regarding the freighties, who Michael infiltrated as the eponymous Johnson, but really this episode is about setting up Michael's possible redemptive arc. While Michael is haunted by his past, he sees stopping sadists with no consciences as a way to redeem himself.

This connects to Ben's conversation about Michael sparing the "innocent" on the freighter. While anything Ben says should be examined with heavy skepticism, this claim isn't that off. Daniel, Frank and Minkowski (before he got sick) are all friendly, whereas several crew members kill time by shooting at plates with machine guns that could liquefy someone, blowing off questions about rescue. Assuming Ben is manipulating Michael and he doesn't care if there are "innocent" people on the freighter, why would he give them more time to get the message that would lead them to the island? It's also worth noting that of the dead on the freighter, none died because of anything Michael did as far as we know.

Tom's "evidence" that the plane crash was staged adds another layer to the differing stories to who was behind the Flight 815 cover up. Since Tom has receipts and photos, it's the most convincing so far. However, it's worth wondering how The Others found out about this expedition and in such a short time. Since the two sources of information are The Others and Widmore, neither should be considered a legitimate source yet, but some connection is there.

After teasing the reveal of the gay cast member and hinting at it well over a season ago, it turns out it was Tom. One of the things I like most about this reveal is that they don't make a big deal about it (although I'm sure homophobic groups will make it sound like they were in your face). Like many shows that excel in having a diverse cast, it is about the characters over their ethnicity, gender or sexual preference.

Since her sudden death late in season two, Libby has been a major mystery. She never had a proper flashback episode to illustrate her backstory. All we know is at one point she was a patient at Hurley's hospital when he was and gave Desmond the boat he shipwrecked on the island. While her return might've offered huge reveals, instead it teases and leaves plenty of room for interpretation. For some reason (likely them not getting Michelle Rodriguez to fly in for a cameo), her death weighs heavier on him than Ana-Lucia. When he's ready to blow up the freighter, Libby's ghost discourages him from doing so, accompanied by off-island whispers. Some theorized that Libby was an insider among the castaways, but for who varies by who is speculating. Whatever it is, it may be theorized she worked for Widmore or someone else opposing Ben.

One thing worth exploring was how Michael and Walt assimilated in Manhattan. Going in, it wouldn't be off to assume that they were picked up by the freighter people and he made up a bogus story per Ben's orders. The "cabin fever" that provoked Regina to kill herself could've been the result of Walt and his abilities, recalling "It's a Good Life". However, that blank is not filled. Michael must've lived somewhere where they don't ask questions, because the media, family and friends of the castaways and especially Widmore would want to learn what Michael knows and it's unlikely he'd be allowed to move back into his old apartment. Maybe that's nitpicking, but it's a major missing piece in the story that may lack a logical explanation.

Another controversial element in the episode is the timeline of Michael's flashbacks. Michael left the island around Day 67. So in roughly two weeks (considering when Tom was on island last season), he managed to return to the mainland, heal from his gunshot wound and later suicide attempt and get on the freighter. It seems like the writers have taken a page from "24" regarding time compression.

Sayid ratting Michael out makes total sense. Of the castaways, Sayid perhaps is the most skeptical of Ben's motives. In addition, it's coming from Michael, who nobody trusts because of his betrayal. It discredits the suspicion in Sayid's mind that the captain is a threat as well. With what we know of the Oceanic Six, it's safe to assume turning him in is a terrible mistake. Some viewers were expecting Gault to explain that he knew all along that Michael was a spy and that was part of the plan or he was one as well, but no such luck.

One interesting piece was that The Temple appears to be another Dharma Station (bringing the total to nine, not including The Orchid) and not something connected to the ruins we saw in "Live Together, Die Alone" and "The Brig". The Others' appropriation of Dharma technology and facilities was an interesting part of the third season and as more is revealed. How this place is a special sanctuary above the other stations and locations on the island is wide open for discussion.

Considering Ben's talent at manipulation, it wouldn't be a far off guess to believe that he knowingly sent Rousseau and Karl to be killed to prove a point to Alex. His possessiveness was evident when he sent Goodwin to die two episodes ago. However, how he could pull that off is a point of contention. The Others at The Temple do not have the muscle.

While Karl is likely dead, the same may not apply to Rousseau. Although we know many of the broad strokes of her story, a flashback episode detailing how she managed to survive on the island for 16 years before the crash could illuminate a lot. Some fans would likely find it hard to forgive the writers for promising a Rousseau episode and killing her off before that happened. This may be more wishful thinking since Rousseau's arc was essentially completed when she reunited with her daughter, and most of her backstory has been told through exposition rather than scenes.

This episode does a good job of transitioning us from the first half of the season, filling in some blanks regarding a long missing character. While major reveals weren't there as some may have expected, the season is moving beyond its introductory phase and things are about to get even more interesting as the war starts.
  • Over a season's worth of storytelling crammed into one very enjoyable episode.

In case we'd forgotten about Michael in his season (and a bit) long absence we were treated to an incredibly long previously sequence that covered pretty much his entire character from the first two seasons. Although this was long it was edited well to show what he'd done and appropriately set up his flashback. Then again Sawyer summed it up in about two lines so maybe the previously sequence wasn't needed after all. After finally getting our first scene with Michael in last week's episode the main point of this one was to show how he got there. I have kind of mixed feelings about how this was done. They abandon the typical flashback structure of having them interspersed between scenes on the island and mix it up a bit (actually for the record the only "traditional" flashback they've had so far this season was Juliet's).

Michael's flashback plays out in a oner, not unlike Desmond's in "Flashes Before Your Eyes". This gives us a clear picture of what Michael's been up to in the season and a bit we haven't seen him. We find out that his relationship with Walt has deteriorated and that he wants to end it all by killing himself. His flashback pretty much covers everything which does make for a good mid-season finale. My only slight gripe with it is that after three years of Lost giving us snippets of information this seems like a lot of information to tae in all at once. Assuming Michael's going to be on the show for a while then there'll be more time to go into more detail about these things, but to be honest the way it's played out does make for a better episode.

Nothing was really skipped past and it all flowed well. The only real issue is that whether or not we'll get more about Walt; considering the problems with the actor having aged (as they used a stand in for him in this episode) it is possible there could be no more scenes between the two of them again on the show. Still that's for a later episode, so onto this one. It turns out that the island won't let Michael die which in true Lost fashion reveals nothing to us. It could show more of what power the island holds, or it could be that the gun Tom gave him was made to purposely jam when fired. Speaking of Tom we find out that he's gay in this episode. I've nothing against that but it seemed tacked on as an attempt at political correctness. Obviously there has to be a gay character on any TV show these days, but then again it had been hinted at in earlier episodes and it was hardly a big story point.

So once Michael agrees to help the Others they manage to get him onto the freighter with the intention of blowing it up. This is where we got an interesting perspective of many of the new characters from Michael's perspective. I liked Frank anyway, but it's good to have his intentions made clear that he wants to help any survivors of flight 815. Then there's Miles who becomes more likeable here by not ratting out Michael, even though I don't like the idea of his ghostbusting/psychic ability thing. It's a bit of a shame we didn't get to see Daniel or Charlotte though. Michael does eventually decide to go through with destroying the ship but it ends up being a fake-out. Ben didn't want to take out everyone on the ship because some of them were innocent and didn't know about Charles Widmore's true intentions. Ben used this to point out the difference between himself and Widmore to both Michael and the viewers. Assuming he's telling the truth this does give more credibility to his comments about being one of the "good guys". The real point of the episode was to get the audience back on Michael's side. I know a lot of folk hated him for what he did to get his son back (as I wasn't a huge fan of Anna-Lucia or Libby I wasn't all that bothered by it). This was done very well by not only showing his remorse as to what he's done and how he can't live with it, but by adding a special treat (presumably from the island) it really hit home. After promising us that they would eventually get to Libby's story we finally see her for the first time since season 2. Although no more of her story was addressed it was nice to see her back (and looking quite fit actually) and it really added to what Michael was going through.

As his flashback took up the majority of the episode there's not too much to add about the on island stuff. Sayid turning in Michael after hearing his story may seem a bit daft but in fairness from his perspective it was probably the best course of action. He believes Ben to be the enemy and anyone who sides with him is therefore also an enemy. The ending unfortunately brought down the episode a bit. Funnily enough for each of the last three episodes I've had this feeling that someone would be shot whilst having a heart-warming moment with their other half. Here this actually happened, but I wasn't too bothered. Alex works well as Danielle's daughter and not much else, she's not a strong enough character to hold a cliffhanger ending the way she tried to. Karl's death was a bit surprising but he's even less of a character than Alex so killing him was probably the best bet. Danielle being shot however was surprising, and very annoying. That said it appeared that she was hit in the side and so I'm guessing she'll survive, Hell we've seen folk come back from worse than that on this show!

So it was a strong episode, if not a strong cliffhanger, to keep us going for the next few weeks over the forced break before the season continues. As usual more questions were raised than answered (do we believe Ben or Widmore about who staged the plane wreckage?) but only just as we did get a boatload of information on Michael. Hopefully he can continue to have a strong reason to be in the show after this and that the season will continue with the quality it's had in these first eight episodes.
  • Good episode for the most part, but the ending was too abrupt and we didn't see much else with any of the other characters.

7.8
    I agree that Michael's story had to be told, but I think it could've been explained in shorter form instead of taking up most of the alotted 43 minutes or so. I did like it, but I guess I wanted more information about Ben from Miles. Maybe will find out more about this in the next episode, but we have to wait for over a month until the next installment.

A big majority of the cast didn't appear in this episode. I can accept that to a point, but this is the second week in a row where some of the main characters weren't a big part of the show as previously. This is disappointing, but we do know more about the island and it's mystical properties which still have an effect on people who have left. This has been pointed to a number of times with Jack, Hurley, and now Michael. We also had some question's resolved that have been lingering since the end of season 2, so it's not all bad.

Now for those who are having a problem with the island and its magic. It has been explained since season one, when Locke first started walking after being crippled, that the island was special. So you knew this and should not be complaining. Other miracles of course include Sun getting pregnant by Jin after she found out previously that Jin was unable to make babies. Also during the pilot episode, when the plane first came apart, there was no way so many would've survived that wreck without the island's magic having something to do with it. This is Lost. That's what makes it so intriguing because it's sort of like the Twilight Zone, and that's why I watch it. I don't know about everybody else, but I'm sick of reality shows.

THe ending was something that I did find was weak. It seemed like the writers were trying to cram so much into the 43 minutes that the ending was rushed. WHat I'm about to say is a spoiler, so you've been warned.

SPOILER ALERT! SPOILER ALERT!!

Rousseau dying just seemed wrong. Not the dying part, but the way she was killed. FOr three and a half season's ROusseau has shown how resourceful she is, and the way she was killed off was just pathetic. SHe should've died fighting for her daughter, maybe take a bullet so that her daughter could get away. Instead the writers have her tell her daughter how much she loves her and then as she stands up to run with her daughter she is shot right there, leaving her daughter vulnerable. Carl the boyfriend was also killed, but he wasn't a big part of the series for as long as ROusseau. HIs death didn't bother me as much for that reason.

Overall the episode was good but not great. THe few answers we got were adequate, but I miss Jack, Kate, and even Claire. I also want to learn more about Ben Linus. THe ending is really what hurt this episode the most though, but it was still good.
  • Not the best of the season, but still pressing forward

This is one of those flashback-heavy episodes that will be successful for those with an interest in the central character (in this case, Michael), but something of a minor disappointment for those with an eye to the big picture. There are connections to be made throughout Michael's narrative, with implications galore, but it's not quite on par with the best episodes of the season.

Michael's role in the series was fairly one-note by the time he left at the end of the second season. He was doing everything possible to save Walt from the Others, and most of the time, that meant being off-screen. When he did return, his double murder of Ana and Libby was one of the best moments of the second season. Unfortunately, this is mostly remembered (particularly by detractors) as a way to remove cast members after bad press, not for the narrative function that it served.

Ben sent him packing with Walt on a very specific bearing away from the island in the second season finale, just before the sky turned purple and the way off the island was supposedly compromised. (Note that the bearing differs slightly from the heading Daniel gave Frank earlier this season.) Even at the time, Ben had been revealed as a master manipulator, so Michael's true fate was open to debate.

Sure enough, Michael did not return to the real world in good shape. His guilt was driving him to suicidal tendencies, and he was once again separated from his son. Visions of Libby (or was it actually Jacob?) were haunting him. Before long, Michael was back in Ben's clutches, getting aboard Widmore's boat as "Kevin Johnson" to ensure that the mission to the island would be derailed.

As logical as the overall premise is, particularly in terms of Ben using Michael to his own ends, there are some tricky timeline issues to consider. The third season did not cover a very long period of time, perhaps a few weeks all told. Yet Michael manages to return to the real world, attempt suicide through car crash, recover from his injuries, get onto Widmore's boat, and then be with the "rescue party" by the time Naomi fell into everyone's lap. It's possible, but it's also hard to reconcile.

More difficult is determining whether or not Tom should have had the time or means to meet with Michael at all. Based on timeline considerations, this is just after Ben, Jack, and the rest made their way by boat from the Hydra Station island to the main island ("Stranger in a Strange Land"). Tom would have been back on the island to play football with Jack in "Par Avion". That gives Tom five days to complete his mission with Michael.

According to Tom, Charles Widmore faked the Oceanic 815 crash using his vast resources and intense desire to find the island. One can assume that Widmore knew about the general location of the island by the time Desmond participated in the race around the world. One might also assume that he was involved in the plane being off-course. He could have also been in contact with Kelvin, contriving the situation seen in "Live Together, Die Alone" (if one goes by the "Desmond was tricked into downing the plane" theory).

Perhaps Widmore had enough control over Oceanic to regularly "re-route" flights over that region of the Pacific in the hopes of pinning down the island's location more precisely. Whatever the case, Widmore would have had about 75 days to pull together the materials and means necessary to drop a plane deep enough to avoid recovery and end an investigation. (Why no one thought to question how a Sydney-LA flight would end up over the Indian Ocean is another story!)

Michael hears the news about Oceanic 815 at the same time as Daniel and Frank. Naomi arrives on the island roughly a week later, so the mission team was pulled together incredibly fast. Perhaps the Kahana was waiting on standby for just such an opportunity, leaving just the crew to be determined. Whatever the case, it speaks to an operation that is far more likely to have faked the crash of Oceanic 815 than Ben's organization, which still seems small in comparison.

Michael's story is one of redemption (like most of the character tales on "Lost"), and so far, he appears to be ready to die for the sake of those he harmed. Sayid's decision to turn him in to Captain Gault could make that difficult (though Gault seemed less than surprised). Is this the moment that Ben referred to when he said that Sayid once made the mistake of following his heart? Whatever the case, this is why it was important that Gault told Sayid and Desmond that Ben was responsible for faking the crash; it convinced them to turn in the one person capable of threatening the mission.

Of course, Ben is a threat to Widmore, just as Widmore is a threat to Ben (and presumably Jacob). Rationalizations are rife on both sides. It's interesting to note how Ben defines his own actions. According to him, he has killed no "innocents". Never mind how he manipulates others into keeping his hands clean; the real issue is how he comes to define "innocent". The Dharma Initiative certainly didn't pass muster, and neither did most of the survivors of Oceanic 815.

Ben adjusts to each new situation, however, as his time with Team Locke demonstrates. Claire still sees Ben as an "Other", but is that distinction meaningful anymore? By living the life of the Others and aligning with their interests, hasn't Team Locke essentially become the very thing they feared in the first season? It's an interesting question of perspective.

Similarly, Tom asserts that "the island" won't allow Michael to die. Michael seems to buy into this perception, and there is some reason to think it's true. However, Michael's inability to shoot himself in the head is more the result of a faulty weapon (probably a quick switch by Tom). It has no pin on the hammer, for example. Wrapping that deception in the mystique of "the island", however, leads Michael down the desired path.

Which is why it's difficult to know whether or not Ben intentionally sent Karl and Danielle to their respective fates, or if it was a miscalculation. The snipers are most likely the commandos from the Kahana (seen in Michael's flashback, and probably dropped off by Frank not so long ago), and Alex probably saved her own life by mentioning she's Ben's daughter. It's quite possible that Ben knew the commandos would be coming and where they would likely be, and decided that Alex would be most safe if kept alive to use against him, but that's quite a stretch. (It also seems highly unlikely that Danielle is dead.)

With the likely arrival of the commandos and Michael's exposure on the Kahana, this is a good turning point for the season. Events are likely to spiral towards chaos over the remaining five episodes, and considering the rate of revelation already present in the fourth season, much of the action should force some answers onto the table. Even if this particular episode is merely setting the stage, it continues to fulfill the promise of faster, tighter storytelling.
  • In all honesty, I've always found Michael's character a tad irritating, immature, and unoriginal.

To have an entire episode revolving around him and his continuing storyline seemed like merely filler to me. I've never found his character all that interesting, to say the least.

Though at first the idea of this secret character working behind the scenes on the boat was intriguing, despite that it was someone in alliance with Ben. You knew it would be someone familiar, but what a disappointment to find out it was predictable Michael! Then to learn he has wasted his chance with Walt and now has no relationship at all with his son, and has selfishly decided that his only option is to commit suicide. Of course, if you can't kill yourself then the only choice left is to ally yourself with a man who has only completely demeaned and demoralized you to the point where your a shell of the weak man that you once were!

Of course he tries to set off the bomb to early. Did he ever get anything right, ever, without pure dumb-ass luck or through the influence of others? The only thing that actually interested me was the ending. What purpose did Sayid have in betraying Michael so swiftly?!
  • Some really important stuff in this episode about the ethos of the programme. A shocking ending but the revelations about why Michael is there is the most revealing and shocking stuff here.

I really enjoyed this episode. Beautifully shot and scripted as always with perfect musical choices. Using 'It's Getting Better' was an excellent choice of dark sad pathos. The revelation that Michael is there because he can't kill himself because the island won't let him till he has finished the work he must do is pivotal. It turns on its head the idea of death on the island being to do with redemption as it seems it is more like they must forfill some sort of destiny first. The ending of this episode is pretty abrupt but shocking and will leave you guessing. It will also make you, well I will, cry if it means we don't get to hear Rousseau's story. The acting in this episode is
    absolutley perfect as usual.
  • Ben is one bad mamma-jamma

I totally believe that the writers for this show deserve every red cent they fought for and then some. The character of Ben is one of the most well written I've seen in a long time. The fact that he not only got Micheal back into his clutches but smugly told him that it was his only way to redeem himself for what he did! Talk about classic mind-job and how about the fact that he tested his loyalty by setting up a fake bomb. Amazing! I loved watching the episode with Michael unfold and even played a few parts back on my DVR just to be sure I understood the tie in. The absolutely crazy part for me was the fact that Sied (sp?) told the ship captain that "KJ" wasn't really who he says he is, yet we've already gotten a foreshadowing that Ben gets him in his clutches at some point as well and he winds up killing his girlfriend and getting stitched up by Ben in a Vet Hospital - great TV!
  • Flashbacks reveal what Michael did after he left, and revealed his mission to Sayid and Desmond. Ben urges Alex to leave for the Temples with Karl and Danielle.

One the best episodes ever, very revealing. So Michael can't die, the island won't let him, interesting concept. I started to figure out when this was taking place, cause I always assumed Season 3 had to begin after October 27th 2004, cause Ben mentions to Jack that Red Sox won the world series (I still cringe over that one.), but it also seems this boat left like two weeks ago. Anyways timing aside, it was nice to have Tom back, and see that he had a lover when he comes to the rest of the world.

The scene with Michael's mother and what exactly happened was great, we now know Walt is safe, and that we probably won't have to deal with his character's age thing just yet.

I am still so confused about what exactly happens to people when the approach/leave the island. Michael and Walt had no problems, neither did Tom, but Juliet needed a sedative, and people on the freighter are going nuts.

So Ben's mission for Michael is to sabotage the boat, which now explains why the engines failed, we can clearly see that Ben knows he is not ready to kill again since he saw Libby in the hospital, but what does Ben have planned for Michael, it seems like a lot more than we know.

Now Sayid's future was explained he reveals the news to the captain, and this is why he works for Ben in the future, he sabotages his friends and the island.

Now on to the cliffhanger, someone (I don't believe it was the boat people) killed Karl (my new favorite character and OTH alum) and Danielle, but spared Alex for now at least. I think it had to be Ben's people, to make sure that Danielle (who he doesn't trust) and Karl (who he is afraid will impregnate his his "daughter" and in essence kill her) did not reach the temple, but she did udder that line, but I think it was to throw us off the trail. Defiantely a great episode, would have been a great finale if it needed to be, can't wait til the show returns in a month.
  • Everything about Kevin Johnson

A superb Michael-centric episode,the episode that we have all been waiting for delivers what it promises.
    I loved the flashback, we learned what happened to him. He followed Ben's instructions and managed to go back home. There, he has a miserable life after he tells Walt that he is a murderer. Walt does not want to be around him anymore. Michael continuously attempts to kill himself, but he always remains alive. In one of his attempts, Tom appears telling him that the island won't let him die,and that he has work to do. That's how he got a fake identity and travel along with the freighter-crew. Ben wanted him to kill everyone on-board.
    Back on the island, Ben sends Danielle,Karl and Alex to the temple in order to be safe. On their way to the temple, Karl and Danielle are being shot from people we don't see!
    Interesting flashback and great ending!
  • In this well-drawn tale, the reveals aren't huge, but it's worth it to slow down reinvest in one of Lost's most missed characters.

No, this episode doesn't confirm the wild time-advances-quicker-off-the-island theories. Nor do we see a super-tall, older Walt. Yes, Libby's appearance is probably just a Smokey vision, and, no, it doesn't further the mystery of the three faces of Libby (islander, mental patient, and boat loaner). Yes, there are moments of Michael's story that are a little pedantic.

Yet, this is still a series highlight, mostly because it tells such a compelling story about Michael, and because every scene feels just right. For the first time for me in an events-that-lead-up-to episode, the main character's motivations feel well-explained and well-justified every step of the way.

Also, in this episode, Tom really comes into his own as a character. He didn't do well in Season 3, playing secondbanana. Here, even though Ben's obviously calling the shots through Tom, the absence of Ben for most of the episode returned to Tom the authority and sinister charm he so easily commanded in Exodus and The Hunting Party.

This is one of those pleasureable episodes to watch because of what it confirms, or even rules out. It succeeds where Lost has failed for me before, in that it has characters discussing the events that are happening to them, positing theories about them, and then drawing conclusions. We have a really good sense, after this episode, of where each party stands, and what they're trying to achieve.

Finally, there was a truly shocking twist, with Sayid giving up Michael's cover.

I award this episode 5 out of 5 Smokies.
  • I enjoyed this episode a lot.

Michael's flashback: We find out that he got out of the island and that he told Walt that he killed Ana-Lucia and Libby. Wow, can someone get the award for father of the year? Well, without his son, he's ending up to be suicidal, but guess what? He can't die. Tom eventually spots him and they go through the whole talk and that's how Michael ends up on the ship. Of course I'm not saying everything, you'll have to watch it to find out. And trust me, you'll want to watch this episode.

Michael on the ship: Desmond and Sayid confront Michael and out him for who he truly is to the rest of the ships crew and all the wrong he has done. I was just thinking, "Wow, Sayid is really dumb isn't he?" At that very moment I wanted to throw Sayid off the ship.

Locke's Camp: Locke tells everyone that Ben is going to be helping them now and Ben doesn't hesitate to share what the people on the ship are planning to the with the island inhabitants along with the Oceanic 815 survivors. He gives Danielle, Alex and Karl directions to a safe house where, no matter what, they will be safe from the people on the ship.
  • What Happened to Michael? Find out here.

High expectations for this episode and they were met for the most part. Aside from some minor pacing issues, this was a darn fine episode of Lost. Much was revealed and more tension was built up for the next set of episodes to come in five weeks.

The episode begins with Sayid and Desmond confronting Michael.

It seems Michael and Walt made it back to NYC, and Michael is rather depressed. He gets in his car, pins a note to himself, and drives full speed into a shipping container. He survives and sees Libby as his nurse, but he is hallucinating. He tries to visit Walt who is living with his Grandma, but isn't allowed to go in, catching only a glimpse of him from the windom. Michael pawns the watch Jin gave him for a gun and bullets trying to kill himself again only to be interrupted by...Tom! They fight a bit, but Tom informs Michael that the island will not let him kill himself, and that he has work to do. Michael tries to shoot himself again, but the gun jams every time. Michael meets Tom and Tom's boyfriend (saw that coming a mile away) at a nice penthouse suite with Tom informing Michael that the Others need him to stop the freighter crew which will spare Ben, the Island, and redeem Michael for killing Ana Lucia and Libby by sparing everyone else. Michael relents and heads to Fiji to catch the boat. It is here he meets Naomi, Minkowski (who seemed really nice), Miles, and Lapidus. Miles is on to Michael's ruse, but doesn't care and Lapidus is aware of the truth behind 815 and knows Widmore hired him, but not why. While cleaning the deck, Michael sees the mercenaries ont the boat taking target practice, he asks why they are doing this if it's a rescue mission-they tell him to get back to work. Michael also received a box when he arrived on the freighter, a box with a heck of a lot of C4 explosive. When he tries to set it off, a flag appears and tells him "not yet". Minkowski summons Michael with word of a call from "Walt" when Michael takes it, he finds Ben on the other end who is impressed that he tried to detonate the bomb. He tells Michael that there are innocent people on the boat, and they deserve to be spared. He also tells Michael he is one of the good guys. When the flashback ends, Sayid hauls Michael to Captain Gault and tells him everything.

On the island Locke and company, Ben included, talk to Miles. Team Locke is rather worried about the impending attack. Ben gives Alex a map to the temple and tells her to go there with Rousseau and Karl. The three of them stop for a water break when they are attacked by a sniper. Karl is killed at once and Rousseau is killed trying to get Alex to safety. Alex surrenders and exclaims that she is Ben's daughter-episode ends.

Pretty intense at times, there was alot of information revealed. It was good to know what lead up to Michael being on the boat. Tom revealed (and showed proof) of how Widmore faked the 815 wreck in the ocean. He used bodies from Thailand, bought an old airplane, and put it in a place where nobody could fish out the bodies. This of course is all contingent upon the parties involved telling the truth, which in this case seems likely. Widmore has a lot to gain by faking the wreck.

Michael's flashback was very interesting and encompassed most of the show. Though the entire episode was paced slow, some parts were a little too slow. The ending was shocking and very exciting, the entire episode gave us something to look forward to.

Overall technically good-solid acting, writing, and directing. A slow pace isn't bad, but it went between slow and very slow which threw it off a bit. It's going to be a long five weeks, but I am sure it will be worth the wait.
  • A revealing episode...with an odd ending. And a prelude to the Zombie season.

We got a big answer in this episode – where Michael has been all this time. He was allowed to leave the island and go back home. But unbeknownst to him, it was only "shore leave". And it seems as though it was awfully short. Now, Ben is using Michael to stop Widmore from coming to the island. Or something. Last week we heard that Ben is the one who got the 324 dead bodies, and tonight Tom told us that it was Widmore. (And he's got pretty convincing proof, too.) But everyone involved in these shenanigans have proven to be untrustworthy, so I don't know who to believe just yet.

So, the ending. It seemed very abrupt to me, like the writers were writing away, looked at the clock, and said, "well, that's 42 minutes!" I know that's not the case, but Sayid turning Michael in, and Rousseau, Alex, and Karl in the jungle just seemed so out of place.

Speaking of Rousseau, Alex, and Carl – THAT was the death?! I was definitely expecting one of the original survivors to be killed, not Rousseau and Karl. (Ironically, it feels like a letdown, but in the long run I couldn't bear for another one of the Losties to die.) And Rousseau didn't even get a dramatic death. She took ONE step to run away with her daughter and got hit. At least Karl's water bottle got shot beforehand, which looked kinda cool. (But this pretty much means that Ben wanted those three dead. Who did he get to do his dirty work?)

Anyway, back to Michael. So he got home with Walt, and told him about killing Ana-Lucia and Libby. Now, Walt can't even look at his father, and Michael is being haunted by Libby (who's giving him some good advice, though). And, the Island won't let Michael kill himself, because he still has work to do. Even halfway across the world, people just can't escape the Island. Physically, they can, but not mentally. We're seeing this in the flash-forwards, as well.

I thought the Zombie Season wasn't until season 7?! A lot of dead people came back tonight. Libby, Naomi, Minkowski, Friendly… (and Friendly proved what he told us in 3.01, when he said to Kate, "you're not my type.") I wasn't expecting to see Libby, at least not in ghost form. I hope we get to learn more of her back story (I believe the writers have said that they do have plans for more Libby).

So, besides the odd ending, this episode has been on par with season four's awesomeness. Unfortunately we have to wait more than a month for a new episode. The countdown has already begun!
  • Always exciting!

Another great episode of this amazing show! Now we know the story of Michael and why he started working for Ben. The island is still very present in his life, in a way that he became kind of an "unbreakable", he survives a brutal car accident, and he tries to shoot himself the gun simply doesn't fire the bullet! This episode doesn't add almost anything in the present time but it helps by giving those old Michael questions some answers. Finally, it ends with the killing of Carl and Rousseau and with Ben's daughter in a bad situation... and we have to wait a month to know what's next!
  • If you don't know Kevin Johnson by now, you will never, never, never know him.

I had high expectations and they were met. Wouldn't put it in my top5, but top10 material for sure. So it gets a 10/10 from me.

It was very informative. Probably one of the most revealing hour of Lost to date. Now informative episodes tend to be dry as all you have is a bunch load of answers and no real action. But the writers did a very good job here: I wasn't bored at all, despite the episode being once again really slow paced.

The flashback took 90% of the airtime, and I loved that. I kind of expected it to happen. I prefer giant flashbacks over fragmented flashbacks if the writers want to tell us a story that keeps going on the same timeline - like in this case. I was hoping for a scene on the boat, but I understand it's a bit hard to pull off with giant Walt. So I'll give the writers more room on this topic.

Four main elements of the flashback:

Tom. I thought that he was brilliant, and the best Other to "bring back". Some people may complain that revealing he's gay was way too random, but I think it was a funny and cool moment. Sure it doesn't add the story but it adds some diversity to his character - I mean he won't have a flashback episode so why not develop him a little more in other characters' flashbacks? Plus his homosexuality was first hinted in 3x01, so it wasn't random at all.

The island. So the island won't let Mike kill himself? Interesting. I can already see all the discussion going on about "But how did Radzinsky die? Why did Ana Lucia and Libby die? Why did Randomperson53535 die?" It's similiar to "I think Aaron is Kate's constant! Jack must be Sawayer's constant!" The point is. Yes, we got a clue/puzzle piece but that doesn't mean we should try to explain every happening on the show with it. To me it seems that the island won't let people who can "help" the island die. Dunno - I guess we'll have to wait to find out.

Libby. Some wise guy spoiled her appearance on a blog, so it wasn't much of a shock for me, but if I didn't know I'm sure I would've been surprised. But even those short appearances were great - the island communicating with Michael? Or just his conscience?

The freighter. It was nice to see how it all started. I also loved how the writers developed Minkowski's character a bit - he seemed like a really nice guy, so it's a shame he died. The bomb was hilarious, I half expected the flag say "BANG!" but "Not yet" was just as freaky. I liked Ben's speech with Michael. So Ben is the good guy afterall?

Or not.

To me, the most shocking part was the ending. It just made me feel sick. The last time I had this was when Michael shot Ana and Libby. This wasn't the same caliber(Karl is a misc character and Danielle wasn't much developed either) but the way it happened - oh my god. It was so sudden. The way the scene transformed from a light hearted scene to a life/death situation was incredibly well done.

I thought the "LOST" logo came in just in the right moment. The scene was cut BEFORE it was supposed to(I knew they wouldn't show the attackers, but still, normally it would last a bit longer) but this way it made feel really disorianted, and I guess that was the point.

So who were the attackers?

Most likely this is the errand Frank talked about at the start of "Ji Yeon", but it very well could be Ben's arrangement. It's just something that we'll have to wait with until the next episode.

Another cliffhanger - much milder, but still interesting - Sayid telling everything about Michael to the captain. I kind of expected the captain say " I know. " but now I'm not sure.

Anyhow - excellent episode, a very informative piece with a huge shock in the end - perfect combination. I can't wait until the next episode, but unfortuantely it's weeeeeeeks away.
  • Not the best episode but necessary to push the story forward.

"Meet Kevin Johnson" was not the best episode of Lost and doesn't significantly delve into the major themes of the series as much as I would have liked, but it was a necessary kick start for this season's storyline. Michael is back and he's desperate. After being off-island for a season, we find that Michael has slipped into despair over his murderous acts on the island and the loss of his son's respect. Michael's depressive, suicidal wanderings in this episode are a little two dimensional. However, the character has been off the grid for a full season, so it's somewhat understandable. The episode does make up for the shortcomings in three ways. First, it provides long awaited information: what happened when Michael left the island and why/how is he going back? Second, we can some minor character development for the other's Tom (aka Mr. Friendly), one of my personal favorites. Again, the episode doesn't provide dramatic insight into Tom's character. However, we do learn just how important Tom was in Ben's camp. Tom seems to be one of the few who Ben will send off island to handle important matters. Finally, we get a glimpse of the demons plaguing Michael. One of Michael's victim's, Libby, appears with a warning that is sure to spark an interesting story arc. Although the episode is somewhat lacking in character development (on the Lost scale), it still provides important information that is sure to serve as the foundation for this story arc for the rest of the series. It's worth seeing to stay abreast of the story.
  • The episode was great but the ending was just stupid.

So we finally found out what happened to Michael after he left with Walt. I thought that he was found in the sea by the freighter people, but he managed to return to America on his own. I don't really know what to think about him.... It's good that he wishes to save everyone on the island, but what he did to Ana-Lucia and Libby can not be forgiven...

The beginning was perfect and I hoped for another 9 or 10 worth episode, but... I just hate the ending. Danielle is one of the most interesting characters in the show. I would never support her death - NEVER.
  • Not the most pleasant reunion we could have had

Based on what we've seen in the flashbacks on this series, almost everybody on the island had a difficult time before, during, and (in some cases) after their time on the island. But right now, it's hard to picture somebody who's had it worse than Michael Dawson.

He had a major struggle with his wife after Walt was born, he lost custody of his child in a bitter battle, his relationship with Walt on the island is sullen, and finally manages to solidify when he builds a rescue boat. The Others then blow up the boat, and take Walt prisoner. Michael moves heaven and earth to get his son back, which involves killing two women and betraying all the other survivors of the crash. He finally manages to reunite with his son, but the guilt is too much for him and he confesses, at which point Walt says he wants nothing to do with him.

Almost everybody on the island is looking for some kind of redemption., but now Michael can no longer have that. So he looks for the only way left open to him --- which appears to be death. However, then he runs into Tom, of all people.. Who tells him something that we haven't known, but may have suspected --- if someone needs to do something for the island, it won't let them die. It explains how Locke has managed to survive every attack he's taken so far, why Ben took such a horrible beating, and could possibly be the reason that Jack was unable to kill himself in the first flashforward we saw in Season 3.

During the flashback, the news that the fake Oceanic 815 has been recovered is broadcast. Tom then reveals that the man responsible for the cover up was none other than Charles Widmore, and that he dug up a mass grave in order to come up with 324 bodies. We won't find out how this happened until Season 5, but it does seem that Widmore was responsible. What's not clear is how he found that kind resources, but then Widmore does have access to a lot of things.

Tom then tells Michael that his mission is to take out all of the people on that freighter, and sends him to Fiji with a fake passport. While some of the people on the freighter seem familiar (albeit creepy), it is not until he meets Kearny and Omar firing machine guns that he comes to realize just how dangerous this particular mission is. He then prepares to use a bomb to blow the ship sky high--- only to find out that it's yet another cruel test orchestrated by Ben. All of these scenes carry their own kind of agony, but the worst comes when Michael finally gets a message from the mainland from Walt, only to pick it up and hear Ben on the other end. Ben then tells Michael in that condescending way of his that he will do what he has to do, but he won't kill innocent people. He just gives the orders or allows them to happen. Michael than listens to one more set of marching orders, and Michael finishes up looking utterly crushed, as if he's been denied redemption one more time.

Michael then tells a very truncated version of this story to Sayid (the entire episode is basically a flashback, so it's hard to know exactly how much he actually told) and Sayid waits all of two seconds before taking Michael right over to the captain and telling everybody that he's is the traitor. (I wouldn't get comfortable in my ivory tower, Sayid). Like everyone else on the island, he cares little for someone else's redemption. Granted, he's still trying to save all of his friends, but considering just how violent the captain has been towards his own crew, it's still a pretty lousy thing for him to do.

Meanwhile, back on the island, Ben has finally revealed his secrets, which doesn't help Locke's position much, as everyone (even Miles, who's only been there a week) can tell than Ben has just maneuver himself back into a position of power. He then sends Alex out to the temple, where he told Richard (speaking of which, where is Richard?) to take the others when he got separated from him way back in season 3, and allows Karl and Rousseau to go with her. He's trying to protect her, but in doing so, all he does is guarantee than they all meet their end a bit quicker. Karl is killed in the jungle, and though we won't learn it for certain for a couple of more episodes, Rousseau has died too. All Ben's done is make sure that his daughter saw her boyfriend and mother get killed in front of her--- he couldn't have thought up a crueler fate if he'd arranged it himself. But there are far worse things ahead for Ben and everybody else in the barracks.

This episode is perhaps at its best when it follows Perrineau. He's always been an expressive actor, and in this episode, he pretty much has to be, as so many of the scenes he's in have no dialogue. He manages to show an entire range of emotions on it, from hope to desperation to guilt towards complete defeat. It's not clear (even now) if Michael will ever find the redemption or the peace that he has sought, but for a man who was willing to die for his son, somehow I can't believe fate has finished telling the whole story with him.
    My score: 8
  • HOLY COW!! They addressed an unresolved storyline!!

7.9
    Well isn't this a shock! I can't easily recall the last time this show took the time to revisit a storyline that they had left hanging for months (if not years) and let the viewers know what finally happened.

In this case, we now know something of what had happened to Michael and Walt (well, more Michael than Walt) after the "Others" put them on a boat and sent them on their merry way (that was season 2, wasn't it?). We also got a bit of insight into the island itself. It had been postulated by many that the island had a degree of sentience and/or direct influence on the population on it (e.g. Locke regaining use of his legs, but losing them again for a short time when he doubts his destiny or the island's healing aura), but we had never seen any actual proof of that until Michael's repeated suicide attempts.

It is my sincere hope that the coming episode will follow this episode's tone and continue to tie together and resolve the serie's numerous story gaps and salvage the show as a whole.
  • Show did not feel the same, did not get that Lost Feeling.

I would have to say I am very disappointed, this episode felt like a filler episode. Maybe it was this way due to the Writers Strike? I dont know!

What I do know is that they bring Michael Back and explain a little more to even cause more unanswered questions about the mysteries of lost. I am not a person whol likes fast thrills, though when you create 50 mysteries and then add 50 more it gets a little boring. Only a few mysteries have been answered and its getting kind of old.

I still will watch lost and enjoy past seasons though I think the show is going in the wrong direction!
  • about the episode

It had great sound mixing.
  • This episode was amazing. I loved how they showed what happened to Michael after he took off with the boat in Season 2. so screw all guys who disliked it because it was Awesome!

This episode was amazing. I loved how they showed what happened to Michael after he took off with the boat in Season 2. so screw all guys who disliked it because it was Awesome! I cant believe two main characters died in the end, I mean thats what makes this show very intense and exciting. People who give LOST episodes very low ratings make me really mad! because every episode of LOST is awesome and they work really hard on them soo come on guys? why do you have to be soo lame. show some support. and give it good ratings so people who see these reviews in real life could see them soo we can convert them to watching this show so people can see its amazingness.
  • Michael!

Michael has a flashback of how he came to be on the boat. He has tried to commit suicide because Walt won't speak to him. Tom goes to him and has a mission for him: to go on a boat and kill everyone onboard. It's Charles Widmore's boat and he wants to find the island. Ben gives him further instructions.

Locke tells everyone at his camp about Charles' plan and Miles' plan. Ben tells Alex, Danielle and Karl to go the temple where she'll be safe. Sayid tells someone on the boat all about Michael.

This was a really good episode! It was interesting to learn what happened with Michael after he left. I don't know why Sayid spilled everything. I can't believe Karl and Danielle possibly died. This episode gets a 9.5 out of 10!
  • Linus will find a way to get it.

I'll break this episode down much like I do any other - into three parts. The first being the first eight minutes of the island storyline, then Michaels backstory, followed by the ending island scenes and the cliffhanger we will be hanging on for 5 weeks as we wait for Lost season four to start back up again.

Once again - an episode in season four draws a low rating the night I watch it (9.2) but scores higher once I rewatch it. Going over the first part of the episode (setting up Micheals story, I thought was very well done. Loved the first scene with the team metting at Lockes residence with Ben coming clean to everyone about Michael. Good reaction from Sawyer - but no one else was really there to get upset about it. Would have liked to see hurley say a little something "No. No. No Way, No!" Something along those lines but changed a bit from the last time he said it. Overall though - great scene where Claire asks if Ben is now "One of Us", which is a very godo question at the moment. Switch over to Captain Gault anihilating someone trying to leave the ship. I think that actor is fantastic. He has a way about him that when he starts to yell it doesn't sound like hes going out of character. He has a very good leadership quality to him which makes him very believable when hes shouting out orders. Great production pick up there. Then Sayid "goes all Sayid" on Michael and we begin the flashback. Overall - solid 10/10 for the opening 8 minutes.

Flashback - Things I liked and didn't like. Didn't like that he was just "home" out of nowhere. Really needed to see him return in some way, shape, or form. I can understand the giant Walt argument, but give us a little indication of the island. Where did Michael sail into? He just sailed up to a port and went back to New York? How he got back home needed to be there and it wasn't. Scene with Michael trying to kill himself - amazing. Great music choice to be playing in the background with "Its getting better every day" - really liked it. So other then no rescue being shown the first 12 minutes had this episode still at a 10/10. Then it gets bumpy. Four minute scene with his mother came off as informative, but very boring. Didnt care for the mother playing his actress and the entire scene came off as a bit meh. He leaves there to buy and gun and meets Tom in alley. Back to amazing. Great choice of Tom and Michael to talk. Loved the fact Toms character is in fact gay in this episode, which was alluded to a long time ago but still...good to see them get back to it. Michael + Boat (around 28 minutes in) is where it got really meh. Didn't care for the trick with the bomb, though it set up a later scene really well. Sometimes I feel the writers draw out certain scenes. Why two-three minutes of Michael just trying to kill himself. I understand the hesitation, but why not push execute and have the flag come out right away? Why wait 15-20 seconds? The suspense isn't there no matter how hard you try to make the music seem like it is. Cutting out seconds like these could make for more packed and better paced episodes. MIchael talking with Keamy was cool, but came across as kind of a long, drawn out scene. Boat scene picked up again with Michael and Ben. Emerson just makes every actor better - loved that conversation. Flashback - overall solid, boring at some points though. At this point we are 36 minutes into the episode and I say I enjoyed about 26-28 minutes of the episode to this point.

Not too much left other then just two scenes now. Sayid becoming a G and turning Michael in was cool - but I did wonder the quick decision made by Sayid.I understand the Ben Linus hatred of Sayid, but with Micheals story I thought Desmond would have been like "Hey - Widemore is a bad dude" too. Quick decision, but it paid off. Loved Andrews acting there. Cliffhanger - Mira Furlan can't act. I'm sorry. Shes so plain, nothing exciting about her. She delievers her lines in the same way everytime. Karl and Danielle are shot by unknown people is a good cliffhanger - but the "emotion" and the dialouge weren't in that scene.

Overal, solid episode. Highest expectations so far and it did dissapoint on that level. However, solid 9.4 and in the better half of the season so far I think.
< 1 2 3