Lost

Meet Kevin Johnson

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Mar 20, 2008 on ABC

• Not the best episode but necessary to push the story forward.

"Meet Kevin Johnson" was not the best episode of Lost and doesn't significantly delve into the major themes of the series as much as I would have liked, but it was a necessary kick start for this season's storyline. Michael is back and he's desperate. After being off-island for a season, we find that Michael has slipped into despair over his murderous acts on the island and the loss of his son's respect. Michael's depressive, suicidal wanderings in this episode are a little two dimensional. However, the character has been off the grid for a full season, so it's somewhat understandable. The episode does make up for the shortcomings in three ways. First, it provides long awaited information: what happened when Michael left the island and why/how is he going back? Second, we can some minor character development for the other's Tom (aka Mr. Friendly), one of my personal favorites. Again, the episode doesn't provide dramatic insight into Tom's character. However, we do learn just how important Tom was in Ben's camp. Tom seems to be one of the few who Ben will send off island to handle important matters. Finally, we get a glimpse of the demons plaguing Michael. One of Michael's victim's, Libby, appears with a warning that is sure to spark an interesting story arc. Although the episode is somewhat lacking in character development (on the Lost scale), it still provides important information that is sure to serve as the foundation for this story arc for the rest of the series. It's worth seeing to stay abreast of the story.