Lost

Not in Portland

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Feb 07, 2007 on ABC

• Season 3 back on track

Maybe it was all the rummaging, hiding in the undergrowth, liberal use of guns, a handhewn boat and suddenly this starts to feel like Lost again.

The barbarims of the Others is quite something. Danny appears to be an unconstructed thug, brutal and trigger happy. The ongoing treatment of Jack, his cruel captivity seems increasingly senseless. Surely they might simply approach him and as him to help Ben rather than devising elaborate mindgames.

Finally Kate and Sawyer break free. They are *ahem* fully bonded now as a couple and it will be interesting to see if this intimacy persists once they return to their island. Btw 'hurrah!' for the boat rescue scene.

Increasing sympathy and understanding for Juliet and her seeming pathological attraction to controlling males. Sinister revelation about D Initiative and its menacing and mercenary attitude.

Let's hope that Jack does find a way off the island. It's been a stressful few days for him, he is due a break. And I for one would be relieved to have subsequent episodes based back on the main island. Ben makes an evil, awesome villain. How perfectly melodramatic of him to pop back into consciousness, sufficient to continue his machevellian machinattions, whilst anaethetised and with a punctured kidney. Though possibly a jump the shark moment?
  • Gimmicky bus accident

You know in eighties movies where the cat would jump out to scare you? The first time you saw it you said, boy they really got me there. The second time you saw it you said, got me again! The third time you saw it you said, geeze these writers need to learn some originality. In this episode a woman's ex-husband is standing on the street and a bus comes by and hits him. It's supposed to be a big shocking thing. Unfortunately, too many TV shows and movies have been using this same gimmicky scene and it is old and stale by now. Let me tell you what is stupid about this:
    1) Bus drivers have eyes. They are looking forward out the big window in front of them. They are not likely to hit people.
    2) A bus is a huge loud vehicle. It doesn't sneak up on you like a lion sneaking up on a gazelle. You can see it out of your peripheral vision and the thing roars like a beast. Yet in this scene there is no sound, and suddenly whamo.
    3) What is it with people stepping onto the street so they can stop and have a conversation? Like, for goodness sakes, if you want to have a chat stay on the sidewalk! Like I said, it's really stupid. Overall, this show held no interest for me.
  • Awesome.

The teenage "Other" Alex supplies Kate and Sawyer with a canoe to return to their island, but first she convinces them to help her rescue her boyfriend Karl from a room where he is being brainwashed by being forced to watch a video. Juliet kills Pickett, who is in pursuit of Kate and Sawyer. Jack finishes Ben's surgery. Flashbacks reveal that over three years prior to the crash, Juliet is a fertility doctor, and is able to make her sister fertile. Juliet is interviewed by Mittelos Bioscience. We learn about Juliet - she is cool, it's good to know more about her character. I love the scene with Jack, Juliet and Tom - awesome. I love the way Alex saves Sawyer and Kate. I love the fact that they have to then save Alex's boyfriend. I love the Jack scenes! I love the way Juliet shoots Danny. I love the scene where Kate is telling Jack his story, amazing ending!
  • not in portland

Wow, Rob McElhenney of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia and Zeljko Ivanek of Damages all in one episode? Now those are some high quality guest stars.

This episode was pretty interesting, it gave us the backstory on Juliet, and what her problems are. I was not a fan of this character, and I really don't like Elizabeth Mitchell on V either, but the writers thought things needed to be shaken up and they gave this a shot so you can't fault them for that.

Lost lost its direction a bit in Season 3 (no pun intended) and while every episode was still good, you can't argue this was not the same Lost as the one in Season 1.
  • First look at one of the Others reveals -- a bit

Up until the Other we've had the closest examination of is Juliet. Simultaneously cold-blooded and warm and supportive, we've been wondering about her ever since we saw the brief flashback at the beginning of 'Tale of Two Cities'. Now she becomes the first to get a flashback of her own, and the differences are so extreme, it's more than a little jarring.

Juliet Burke was a fertility expert who worked in Miami (based on the timing of Kate' last flashback, she might even have been there the same time Kate was married to Kevin) She worked for a cruel and sadistic man--- her ex-husband, Edmund Burke. (We've got a John Locke, a Rousseau, and a Hume on this show, now we have Burke; at least one writer knows his eighteenth century philosophy) Edmund was a cruel and vicious man, and the only release that Juliet had was with her sister, Rachel, who Juliet was trying to impregnate even as she suffered from some form of cancer. But somehow her work attracted the attention of Mittelos Bioscience, a research company settled in Portland, led by the mysterious Mr. Alpert, and our old nemesis Ethan. It's not clear yet why they wanted Juliet so urgently, but it may have something to do with the fertility of the Others, and they seem willing to do anything. Edmund Burke seems to be an obstacle, so they seem to arrange to have him hit by a bus freeing her from her prison, and sending her to another.

Now, on the island (this episode begins seconds after Jack has committed his attacked Ben) Juliet seems to try and take charge. Instead, however, the other master controller in her live, Ben, emerges from unconsciousness and demands to talk to Juliet. (Really need to do some work with the anesthesia, guys) and a few minutes later Juliet is willing to help free Sawyer and Kate.

Sawyer and Kate have not been idle. They've run to the beach, hotly pursued by a royally pissed off Danny Pickett. They would seem to be doomed, but once again they are save by Alex, who rescues them, and hides them in one of her hiding places in the jungle. (Like mother, like daughter) She then offers to get them off the island, if they can rescue Karl, who is being held prisoner in Room 23. When they find him, Karl seems to be caught in the middle of a scene out of Clockwork Orange. Harsh discordant music is being played, bright images are flashed before his eyes with messages that seem to have no relation to them.. It's like something out of 24, if CTU was run by deranged hippies. We're not sure what Karl is being tortured for but he's around sixteen, Alex is around sixteen.... no, you actually don't have a dirty mind when you're thinking about this. Strange, though one of the bizarre subliminal message we see flashed is 'Plant a good seed and you will joyfully gather good fruit,' would seem to be a message suggesting that they want him to have sex. Also, another fact, by far Karl and Alex are the youngest Others around (Some might say that they wouldn't involve children in this, but that doesn't seem particularly viable with this bunch of people) And there's the fact that same seemed extremely interesting in having a top-notch fertility doctor working for them. Could the Others be incapable of having children? Is that why they expressed so much interest in Claire's baby and Walt?' You'd think therefore, they'd be interested in procreation.

Unless of course, the child is one of their own. For one of the major revelations occurs when we learn that Alex is referred to as Ben's daughter. We now know that this is because Ben has raised her as his daughter, not for any biological reasons. But if he does care for her, torturing her boyfriend the way that he does really is overprotective parenting. Ben never does anything without a reason, though; we'll learn what that reason is soon enough.

In the end Sawyer and Kate do manage to escape with Karl, albeit with Juliet's help. But there is a cost. Danny refuses to believe that Ben wants them to go free, and ignores her instructions. (Begs the question, why not simply have Tom radio them and tell them that Ben gave the order? However, given the general level of rage that Danny is at for most of the episode, I'm not sure even an order from Ben would stop him.) Again, the question is raised: where in the pecking order is Juliet? It's possible that Tom and Danny have been hear longer, and therefore can give her orders. But again, we don't get a clear answer for this either, and it's ultimately irrelevant, because Juliet kills Danny. Again, you know there will be repercussions for this as well. Jack also gives a warning to Kate never to come back for him. Given how frequently, Kate has ignored Jack before, it's a safe bet she's not going to be giving him much leeway with this either.

Despite all of this Jack keeps his word, and manages to remove Ben's tumor (in what maybe the quickest spinal surgery on record , given the way things work out. Maybe it's the island.) He then asks Juliet what Ben promised her. She's says that she's been on the island three years, two months and twenty six days (Dr. Alpert told her she'd only be there six months) and that Ben promised her that she could finally go home. But as Juliet will learn almost as well as the survivors of Oceanic 815, leaving the island is a lot harder than you'd think. Despite everything she does in this episode, we end up feeling sympathy for Juliet. Part of that is due to exceptional work of Elizabeth Mitchell, who in just a few episodes has revealed she's nearly as brilliant as Terry O'Quinn and Evangeline Lilly, the heavyweights of this show. But it's also due to the writing. Juliet seems so solid and ice cold in this episode, it's hard to believe what a mess she was under the thumb of her ex-husband (another memorable villain portray by Zeljko Ivanek) It is not until all of the blood shed has passed that we realize that, unlike most of the Others, her icy facade is more of a mask than anything else. Right now, the Others still think she's one of them, but we will realize soon that mask hides more than even they know.
    My score: 9
  • Lost Returns!!!

Logic/Details - » Lost return and it was time to close this captive plot that was disappointing. So, the smart move was to create a Juliet Flashback in this episode to keep things fresh when Kate and Sawyer trying to escape with two more character joining the escape crew.

Juliet was a successful researcher, and she was recruited by Ethan and co to come to the island because of her successes as a fertility doctor. This may hint that Juliet had to do something with Claire's kidnapping and there is something happening with the pregnant women in the island.

Besides that, the writers managed to buy much time as possible and fill the episode with the escape and the flashback.

Progress -» Sawyer and Kate finally escape? Juliet was a successful researcher and she was recruited for six months but ended up to stay in the island for 3 years. More than that, was just distraction and time management.

Emotions/Stimulation/Highlights -» With so many details this episodes lacks with some kind of mind blowing scenes or something that feels great to know our see. We had little tension on one scenes when Sawyer and Kate were running ,Alex appearance was a small surprise, we had two creepy and strange scene and a emotional but weak final scene when Juliet reveals what Ben told her.

Ending - » More like a closure, with nothing attractive to speculate.

Overall - » A good episode, even with the time management, because finally something happens and like the past season, the introductory phase is over and it is time to work on good material and make great and mind blowing episodes.
  • Bus (not curiosity) killed the cat

Juliet y la p*** madre!!!!!! Sí otra vez!!! Gracias por hacerlo tan exciting. Juliet y cómo entró a Dharma. Ese señor con ojos delineados da un poco de miedito, no? Y todo está tan bajo control. El destino está tan escrito...
    Juliet encuentra la forma de que una mujer que no... puede tener hijos? quede embarazada y eso la propulsa a entrar en Dharma (atropellación de autobus sobre ex marido mediante) y entonces viajar a Portland, o no era Portland? Inquietante, disturbing, Ben sin anestesia enterándose que Juliet no lo quiere tanto, Sawyer y Kate tratando de volver a "su" isla.
    Y esa lobotomía siglo XXI? Jacob list? Todo está en el cerebro de cada uno de ellos? Insane.
  • A Juliet-centric episode.

All things considered, I thought that this was an absolutely amazing episode, and I have to say that I absolutely loved it. After having seen this episode, I have to say that I officially love the character Juliet. I thought that the flashbacks of her life were really great. I'm so glad that Kate and Sawyer finally managed to escape from their cages because I have to admit that I was getting kind of bored watching them be held captive in cages. In closing, I thought that this was a very well written, well acted and well made episode of Lost from everyone involved. I'm really looking forward to more Juliet-centric episodes in the future, and I'm also looking forward to watching the rest of my Lost: Season DVD set.
  • Pehaps the greatest TV Series revivals begins now with this episode.

When "Not in Portland" first aired the show's future may have been in the balance. Series 3 was split into two. The first six episodes were shown to a nonplussed audience, with show creators, Lindelof and Cuse, having to defend themselves against a barrage of abuse about the scheduling as well as the episode's quality, which they felt had dipped well below the average. As the first six episodes aired many fans since the beginning began to drop out, frustrated by the lack of answers, the escalating number of questions and mysterys, a narrow focus on the world of the Others, etc, etc.
    No doubt inspired by the falling ratings Lindelof and Cuse set out to obtain an end date for the show. Fully realising how their creation would end and estimating how many viewing hours that would take to get there the studios eventually agreed to let the show continue to a sixth season. This decision and announcement was enough to keep existing fans in for the ride. It was fortunate that they did because when Season 3 returned in the Winter of 2006 the show would begin its revival which would develop to our current point in time- waiting for the start of Season 5.
    This episode is a fantastic start to this revival and it works because it shows us things that we are not familiar with, that is a flashback of an "Other".
    Juliet has become a popular character with fans and this episode helped to bring that fact to light.
    Season 3, so far, has all been a giant twist. The first two seasons viewed the Others as sinister, creepy and supernatural beings. This season, for good and bad, lifts that curtain from our eyes and we now see a different view of the Others. In fact these island inhabitants are not that much different to our crash survivors. They have the same fears and faults. They are just as mysterious and are more menacing and violent as our survivors but the similarities are more plain to see than they have ever been. Juliet's past is just as painful to see as Locke's is, for example. It seems everyone on the island, survivor or Other, has been a failure off the island and it is their new life that has turned them around. Juliet is a totally new person to when she was in Miami. The other twist with The Others is that it is suggested that not all of them have always been on the island or even have chosen to be on the island.
    Juliet was recruited by the organization the Others work for - Mittelos Bioscience - which may be the new Dharma Initiative.
    This episode is full of action and suspense, something that has been building since the beginning of the season. It brings the adventure back into Lost. It is wonderful to see our characters finally running through the jungles again and not confined to hatch rooms and bear cages.
    This episode finally gives Season 3 its first WTF moment - the Karl Brainwashing sequence. After Season 2's Blast Door Map, fans were eagerly anticipating seomthing else to analyse.
    One thing the brainswashing video references is Jacob, who was mentioned in the last episode by Danny. Is Jacob the boss?
    "Not in Portland" has action, suspense and mystery, but beneath that veil is a wonderfully emotional story that can set off the waterworks. The scene where Kate repeats Jack's monologue from the Pilot episode is especially tearful.
    With all the tears and scares the episode has time for a little comedy. Tom has become a Hurley-like character in the Others world. The moment when he cringes at the sight of blood is very reminiscent of Hurley's reaction in the Pilot episode.
    Awesome episode. Lost is back to what it does best.
  • The action in this episode is with regards to the three prisoners on the little island and how they are coping with being apart from the group and each other, we also see and learn more information regarding Juliet, how she came to be one of the others.

Juliet has alot of flashbacks in this episode, they refer to her time in Miami prior to going to the island. Initially we see her staring out into a ocean view, then heading into a run down building and passing Ethan se progresses to a patient, a possible cancer survivor and injects her with a serum of some description, we find out that she is Juliet's sister.

Jack is in control regarding the operation room, by holding Bens life as the key to making the others do as he wishes, but Juliet sends two of the others out to get Sawyer and Kate, kill them if you have too she instructs, but only after they have overpowered Picket and a goon and locked them up in the cage, before they set off to escape.

Juliet flashes back to the past where she is entering her work office, late at night and taking some vaccines from a storage fride in her lab, but a noise distracts her and she is forced to crouch down to avoid being spotted, an older man and his fluzzie enter the scene but are stopped when Juliets phone goes off, we then find out that it is her ex husband and his research assistant, she leaves but we find out that the following day she gets called to see him, as he is the institutes' head, told that he knows what she is doing and he wants in on it.

The stand off in the op room is still going on, he uses his knowledge of Juliet wanting Ben to die during the Op to the others to form a wedge between them and Juliet is ordered out of the room by Tom, she leaves but advises him that Jack would never let a patient just die. Sawyer and Kate get to the beach and Kate now realises that they are in fact on a different island, at this point an unfreed Picket and goons, who manage to shoot the radio from Kate and force them to fire at them til their ammo has gone, but Alex turns up and hides them. The goons move on and Alex explains that she has a boat, but they have to rescue her boyfriend and off they go.

Back in the Op room, Jack and Tom are surprised to find that Tom has woken up and has been awake for a few minutes and he would like to talk to Juliet, who is letting off steam outside, when she comes back in Ben asks for 3 minutes alone, gentleman to gentleman, which he gives him but he sits in the observation room during it. When they finish, Jack ask Juliet what is going on, she wouldn't say other than, finish the Op as I'm going to make sure the other 2 get back to the island. Jack works through the operation, with Tom as his nurse, they have a small hiccup but complete the operation.

Sawyer, Kate and Alex rescue her boyfriend from a room where he is undergoing some mind control therapy, and they head off to the beach where the boat is, they get Karl in the boat but at that point Picket shows up, even though he had been ordered off, but he wants his revenge for Colleen, but as he's about to shoot Sawyer, he gets shot by Juliet. The boat leaves for the main island, minus Juliet and Alex who are to stay behind on Alex's father's wishes.
  • great.

The teenage Other Alex supplies Kate and Sawyer with a canoe to return to their island, but first she gets them to help her rescue her boyfriend Karl. Karl is in a room where he is being brainwashed by a watching a video. Juliet kills Pickett, who is in pursuit of Kate and Sawyer. Jack finishes Ben's surgery. Over three years prior to the crash, Juliet is a fertility doctor, and is able to make her sister fertile. Juliet is interviewed by Mittelos Bioscience, a front company for the Others. Not in Portland was Another great episode of lost as usual.
  • The escape

Juliet has flashbacks to when she helped her sister get pregnant. It was an experiment and she is recruited by people to join a team. Where she is going turns out to be the island.

Kate and Sawyer escape from the cages. Ben is awake and he needs to talk to Juliet. Jack operates on Ben and saves his life. There are little complications though. Alex helps Sawyer and Kate. They rescue Karl and use Alex's boat to get to the other island. Alex must stay behind. Juliet tells Jack what Ben told her, that he'll let her leave the island.

This episode was great! I can't believe Jack did the surgery. This episode gets a 9.5!
  • Finally.

The first 6 episodes left alot ot be desired. They just missed the punch all the time, and they were pretty darn straightforward.

Not in Portland is straightforward too, but at least it makes up for that with the extremely fast pacing and by giving closure to the Hydra storyline.

Jack's plan works, Kate and Sawyer run away, but eventually bump into Alex who can help them get off the island, but in return they'd need to rescue Karl, Alex's boyfriend. The best part was obviously this, as Karl is held in Room 23 which seems to be a brainwashing room .Really creepy and gets the job done: freaks out the viewer. The episode's Juliet centric, but of course we don't learn alot about her other-life, we just learn about her character prior to the island. She was a successful researcher, and she was recruited by Ethan and co to come to the island because of her successes as a fertility doctor. This hints that Juliet had to do something with Claire's kidnapping.

Despite how exciting it was, it was really shallow at times, and doesn't matter how great Elizabeth Mitchell's performance is, I couldn't feel for her until the end where she reveals that she's forced to stay on the island by Ben.

Overall, a fast moving, interesting, exciting episode, but it just lacks the detail level that Lost gave in the first 2 seasons.
  • A huge letdown, expected a lot more coming back from a 13-week break. It was still a pretty good episode, if it were in the middle of the season I wouldn't have been so disappointed.

7.9
    This episode started off slow, but picked up about 1/3 of the way through. This episode was Juliet-centric, and the flashbacks were pretty good. I expected more, but they still weren't that bad. The best part is when her ex-husband gets hit by that bus... didn't see that one coming. I thought the best actor in this episode was actually Matthew Fox, I thought he did a great job. Another plus for this episode was that Ethan made a guest appearance. I just hope that Lost will get back to Lost island. I'm tired of the Kate, Sawyer, and Jack show. I want to see the Locke, Desmond, and Sayid show. By the look of next week's episode, it will. So that's good, looking forward to it.

Richard: Well, it's not exactly in Portland.
  • After this episode, Juliet deserves some well-earned respect... Best episode of this season so far...

I feel like such a newb watching all the episodes after they have aired, but I still enjoy it. Wow. I think this was an amazing episode, I really got into the flashbacks which I usually don't because we finally see some background from the others. Juliet Juliet Juliet... I can't believe how much she has changed, and how sad it must be for her. In three years she has changed from some frail girl with an over inferiority complex to a well... I really don't know, but it certainly is impressive. I still feel sorry for her though, her character is much more at a loss than I thought, with her pregnant sister and the fact that she was promised six months, and is currently at three years two months and 28 days...

Other than that, the rest of the episode was good as well. When they escaped, I was like oh em gee when Juliet shot the guy in the green shirt... man, what a shocker. Were the people hypnotizing Carl? And terrific acting from Evangeline (I think that's how you spell her name) for Kate, having a total breakdown with the walkie talkie like that. I loved this episode.
  • I liked the episode itself, but I thought there was some pretty bad acting in the flashback..

Here we are at Episode 7: Not in Portland

Firstly, It was quite exciting at times and very suspensful knowing If Ben shall survive or not and the escape of Kate and Sawyer.

This episode builds up on 'Ido' and Kate and Sawyer do everything they can to escape and almost get themselves killed on the trek too.

The flashbacks of Juliet were okay, not the best. I thought the acting from Juliet's character was poor in the flashback itself, seriously she needs work on crying.

A lot did actually happen on this episode but I want to see both the others story and the survivors story at the same time. At least Alex did actually help Karl, Sawyer and Kate by giving them a boat to get back to the main island. It was also was cool to see Ethan Rom show up! He's cool; even though he's dead. I miss being able to see him on the cast, bad Charlie! Why did you have to shoot him in the chest 6 times???!!!
    In conclusion, Kate, Sawyer and karl escaped and everything worked out but Jack and Alex were still with the Others. Juliet has just killed Danny so she'll be in some trouble, maybe even execution. Jacob will decide what will become of her as he always does. Whoever the hell he his?
    Overall: It was great and I will look forward to "Flashes Before your eyes" next week. But, I did not like this episode in general as much as 'Ido', probably because of Juliet's flashback. Her backstory was good but I was a little disapointed with the acting skills.
  • Another Great Episode.

• Jack holds the control and they do what he says.

For a change the "first ones" have the control of the events and the others run and do what they are told when Ben is on operation table and Jack is playing with his life.

Quite much action and first time we had "others" flashback. And it was quite intriguing. It seems that they had control over things even in normal world as the accident with bus - it was... more than just coincident and the scene in the morg. that was... little bite making me feel... weird.. they seemed to be very busy to get her into that island.

At least Kate and Saywer should be out of that other island back on their own.
  • juliet! respect

If you had told me that I would like Juliet I would probably have called you an idiot, but now when I've learnt more about Juliet - the past and Juliet - the present I can tell "Juliet you've changed"! And I like those changes. She turn into a confident and beautiful from ugly and uncertain. Remeber how she killed Denny (that annoying Denny, or Denny - the bug). Brilliant (I didn't like him at all).
    So now I can tell that Juliet is gret woman.
  • Solid episode with some great acting. Also sets the stage for major events down the road.

The original plan for Lost’s schedule this season consisted of a six episode mini-arc to whet the appetite of fans and tease them with sixteen episodes running from February straight through the end of May. This was to make it so fans wouldn’t have to wait for seven months for new episodes while dealing with complaints of inconsistent scheduling. Unfortunately, this plan backfired, and fans criticized the initial six episodes rather harshly. Instead of building up buzz during the three month break, some critics were content to stew in their negative reviews, calling prematurely that “Lost” has j***** t** s**** and that it should be put out of its misery. Therefore, the return of “Lost”, particularly these first few episodes, had to be really good or they could risk testing the patience of fickle viewers teetering towards watching something else.

Luckily, this episode gave us a few insights into The Others, focusing on one of the mini-season’s best additions, Other Juliet. Elizabeth Mitchell, another great addition to the cast, gets to flex her acting muscles, playing Juliet at a time when she was timid and insecure and now as the acting leader of The Others in Ben’s incapacitation. Before the island, Juliet let other people like her ex-husband walk all over her (until a bus ran all over him). Despite doing brilliant work in fertility, impregnating both a male rat and her sick sister, she underwrites her achievements like that the rat didn’t carry to term. It’s likely that she saw her ex-husband, the always welcome Zeljko Ivanek, as someone to control her potential and to limit her confidence, like hiring a sexy new doctor in the lab where they work.

The only encouraging presence in Juliet’s life pre-island is her sister, Rachel (the third female “Deadwood” alum Robin Weigert, now where’s Molly Parker?) While she is Juliet’s guinea pig, it works. Juliet gives her sister hope for her condition, which she had thought would prevent her from her life long dream of motherhood. It is a validation of her solo work, and that push manages to get Juliet to stand up for herself when Edmund tries to steal some of her glory.

If you’re ever going to be hit by a bus, get hit on network TV, because you’ll just get a few minor scratches at worst instead of being splattered all over the pavement. Seriously though, there is reason to suspect that Mittelos had something to do with the bus crash that killed Edmund, even if they don’t make a clear implication that they did. Assuming they really wanted Juliet, their “thorough research” must’ve found that Edmund would pressure her out of it.

They certainly must’ve known that Juliet initially would be easy to manipulate, but wanted to be the ones manipulating her. Things like Ethan in the general proximity of Rachel in the prologue and Ethan and Richard just happening to show up in the coroner’s office to get Juliet to work for them show that they really want her talent for some reason.

However, Juliet is now cool and confident, willing to do anything to leave the island forever and get back in touch with her sister. This is a major departure from the “This is our island” drum The Others have been beating. Some are technically prisoners on this island, and Ben holds the key to freedom. So it would make sense that they bond with the castaways, many of whom want to get off the island.

There are a lot of big pieces of The Other puzzle introduced in this episode. For one, The Others aren’t just the native people, and they can access main land (at least, according to Tom, until the discharge went off). Of course, they have to trick us before that reveal, showing us someplace we believe is the island (Juliet on the beach, seeing Ethan, etc.) when it turns out it is not, a reversal of the last two season premieres. While Ben has said that he has always lived on the island, where did everyone else come from? All we know from this episode is that Juliet was hired because her fertility expertise could help the 26-year-old woman with a decaying uterus.

Another is Mittelos (Lost time) Bioscience. The fact that they have contacts with the outside world adds a lot to The Others mythology. Is Mittelos the reason why Dharma drops are still performed years later? Was Mittelos some rival research group that fought against Dharma? If they were genuinely native to the island, how could they form a shell corporation?

Juliet arrived on the island around the same time Desmond did. While there may be nothing to it, she also arrived six days before 9/11. It’s unlikely that they would incorporate 9/11 into the storyline out of good taste, like they would have the tsunami, which is about three weeks away on the timeline, occur because of something on the island.

One nice side note from this episode is that it develops Tom into The Others’ version of Hurley, down to his uneasiness seeing blood. They could easily have switched roles without missing a beat. Tom serves as comic relief to the dramatic tension, but serious enough to avoid being silly and to serve as the spokesman. Introducing himself while he and Jack watch Juliet and Ben is one of the highlights from this episode.

Alex gets some more moments to shine as she helps Kate & Sawyer escape from Danny and his men. If anyone was going to help them at great personal risk besides Juliet, it was going to be her. Knowing that Ben has adopted her as his daughter (she may not know the truth), that gives her a lot of freedom to dig holes and weave baskets.

Of course, Alex saving the day was convenient, so she had to have an ulterior method. Unlike last episode, where Alex screamed that The Others killed her boyfriend, this episode upgrades Karl’s condition to “alive”, to steal an old Simpsons joke. He is being held in Room 23 elsewhere at the Hydra Station, which seems to be far bigger than any other station we’ve seen so far. Not much is said as to what Karl did to warrant imprisonment in the bizarre brainwashing room, nor how Alex found out Karl was a live in the first place. Could Room 23 be the room that Klugh threatened to place Walt in last season?

The Room 23 scene was intriguing. Karl’s force feeding of the video recalls “A Clockwork Orange” among other things. It must be cool to be a person who gets to make one of these; the crazier, the better. One Eater Egg worth noting is that techno beat and screeching played backwards says “Only fools are enslaved by time and space”. That, the Mittelos anagram and Aldo’s book “A Brief History of Time”, point towards some kind of fascination with the space-time continuum among The Others.

Who made the Room 23 video? There are clips of Gerald DeGroot and Alvar Hanso, two Dharma members, but there is a reference to Jacob, the possible leader of The Others. Also, why is Karl in there? What purpose does this treatment fulfill? Is the video meant to “Otherize” people or brainwash him to do something else? Perhaps sending Karl over with Kate and Sawyer is part of some larger plan. Whatever lure the video had, it captured Sawyer’s attention long enough for Kate to call him out on it.

Considering the only thing they did to make Pickett sympathetic was give him a wife and make him a widow shortly after, the beat downs he receives are long overdue. You can’t help but cheer when Sawyer slams Pickett’s head against the food button until the electric charge surges through.

Then we have Juliet killing him before he can kill Sawyer and Kate. Knowing how much she wants to get off the island, it fits that Juliet would be willing to kill to do it. It also shows how far she has come regarding achieving her goals. They must’ve not meant for it to be read as “Juliet needed to kill her husband to reach her potential” since she killed someone to achieve her goals in the present. In both scenarios, she needed someone out of the way to do what she needed and, assuming The Others orchestrated the bus crash, The Others took the dark side of that interpretation with Edmund. Killing Pickett shows how much The Others’ culture has affected her.

It was a little much to have the “Count to 5” story be the one piece that helps Jack push through the complication in Ben’s surgery, but it does create some drama in the dynamic between Kate & Sawyer. Although they had made love the night before, Kate still has feelings for Jack. Plus, they got to reuse the “Life and Death” theme, which is always great.

This episode was a great reveal into The Others, showing us a bit about how they bring people into their society. Elizabeth Mitchell proves herself to be another asset in the superb ensemble, as one of the best elements of the mini-season gets a big character push, which sets up some of the events that will play out the rest of the season.
  • Everything was unexpected!

I am know loving this season and pretty happy to say that Lost is possibly at its best. We finally have a flashback of one of the others namely Juliet. It wasnt as revealing as I had hoped but we learn how Juliet got to the island and that she has beem there for over 3 years. She experimented with inpregnating her sister who couldnt have babies and also a male mouse and thats why they wanted her. The whole bus thing was creepy and I also asked myself why Ethan was doing the stuff to Claire, shouldn't that have been Juliet?
  • Finally! A flashback of one of the others!

In this episode we find out that one other is not really an other. SHOCKING! The ending was done very very well and left a lot open for me. This is the first episode with flashbacks from one of the others and let me tell you it was absolutley fabulous!
  • "He said that if I let him live and I helped you -- that he would finally let me go home".

Great Episode

This was a Juliet episode. Very revealing!!

The flashback was ok. It showed us how Julie got recruited by the others. (No....not really recruited, it was more like a con!!!) We find out Juliet lives in Miami. Well, she did.

Juliet is not really that bad. She isn't really one of "The Others". She is just like Jack, making a deal with Ben so she can go home.

I like Juliet. She is a great new Character. Better than Nikki and Paulo. (They suck)

This was a great episode. Lost Season 3 is shaping up good.

Overall - It was a great episode.

9.5/10
  • The best episode so far this season.

I am really staring to bond with the Juliet charactor, i was excited to find that she was actually brought onto the island, imployed by the Dharma Inititive as a fertility doctor, but to impregnate who? I was shocked to see Ethan in the flashback, and how did they manage to kill Juliets Ex husband the way Juliet desired, being hit by a bus? I was shocked to find that Juliet has been on the island for 3 years +, so one can only asume that Dharma was still working then. Although we got some answers that we never even asked we are still left with bigger questions, but one thing is for sure Juliet is also lost, and looking for a way home. Can she trust Bens offer?
  • Some parts of this episode were more than disappointing !!!

Although "Lost" is an excellent show, it has from time to time some episode than makes one feel disappointed...So this one continues from where the last one left off...Jack threatens the Others to kill Ben, if Kate and Sawyer are not released...In this episode, one has the opportunity to better know Juliet, and how she joined the Others...She is a researcher with a sick sister..She manages to do some pretty interesting discoveries and one day she is visited by a man, who offers her unlimited funds and freedom to continue her research...Sawyer and Kate manages to escape also due to the help they receive from Juliet...One also finds out that Juliane is also a prisoner in this island and that she helps Jack,due to a promise made to her, that she is going to recover her freedom and leave the island...7.5/10.
  • Yeah, it was okay

7.2
    Why's everyone going 'Oh my god what a great episode, it was worth the wait'? It was okay, and that's it. Continuing from the frankly quite dull I Do, Not in Portland (cool title) pads outhalf the episode, oh, sorry, I mean we delve into the backstory of Juliet and learn a bit about her. Wow. I'm sorry, I just can't get enthusiastic about this show anymore. This plot strand is getting a bit tired, and what's going on with Locke and the others is a lot better...when we actually see them of course.

Juliet: Shephard won't finish the surgery unless he knows his friends are off the island. Do you want Ben to die? Pickett: I know Ben would rather die than let them go!
  • Juliet is one lady who I'm never sure about... and I love that! Ooo the suspense :)

I love how in this episode we get to know Juliet's story, and can begin to fathom her ties with the island and with the exceptionally creepy Ben (hopefully we'll see his flashback soon, he is just so eerie). Her story is a good one, with enough twists to provide the ironically unexpected emotional jolts, which we expect from LOST. The story pertaining to Juliet's sister is a little random, I don't think she was well cast but she is pathetic enough to be pitied (clearly the point: dirty appearance, watery eyes, weak voice). Anyhow, the last half of the episode is the most significant and definitely superior as its predecessor seemed to dither along. It made sense in the end though, with the bus bit being in true LOST style!

I'm sure I wasn't alone in my silent glee at her ex-husband being knocked off :)

The next episode is better however.
  • Tirple post - PLEASE DELETE, many thanks!

This episode of LOST is unusual. It is action-packed.

Strong acting performances are shown by Jack and Kate. Kate almost breaks down on the walkie-talkie. Nicely acted Evangeline!

Our hero of the day - Jack. Matthew Fox clearly knows who "Jack" is. His performance is simply top-notch, as it has been ever since the second half of season 2.

We see chases through the jungle, unexpected twists and turns which keeps the viewer glued to the screen.

We will also get to know why Juliet has been placed on the island, and we now know that Dharma is still active - under a different name. The actual story of the flashback isn't the strongest, as in the case of Season 3 flashacks but it is still very interesting as questions are answered.

This episodes gives us some answers to the questions which makes LOST unmissable every week. However, we also see a video sequence with a hidden meaning which only die-hard losties could descipher.

Ben - he is one awesome character and "promises" something to Juliet which leads to a twist in the episode. I personally think he is still lying! Ben is the best liar I have encountered in any TV show.

An unusually fast-paced action episode with some interesting revelations and insight into the "others".

9.6/10, considering a 9.2 is "average" at TV.com. It is a must-watch for any LOST fans and any estranged "defectors"!

My personal "British University" scale, 7.2/10, a first-class episode.
  • We pick up where LOST left us before the break with a huge cliffhanger. ACtion-packed and the flashback is on an "other" - Juliet. Interesting stuff!

< 1 2 3 4 5