Lost

One of Them

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Feb 15, 2006 on ABC

• Awesome.

Rousseau leads Sayid to a man she believes is one of the Others. Sayid goes back to his ways as a torturer to get information from "Henry Gale," who Sayid believes to be one of the Others. In flashbacks, Sayid tortures a prisoner for the first time. Wow - an awesome episode, I loved every minute of it. I love the way Sawyer walk in when Hurley is eating his hiden stash of food. The French women has a man - is he who he sats he is or and other. I love the scenes with "Henry Gale", by the way everyone is treating him meaning Jack, Locke and Sayid. I love the whole storyline to do with "Henry Gale" it's just amazing. I love the Hurley and Sawyer scene in this episode. As always I love John and Jack.
  • Breath-takingly Amazing...

This episode is so far the best, most exciting episode of season 2 . . .

They find one of the others that Danielle caught and Sayid tortures him til he confessed that he was really one the other -- until Jack threatened Locke and he had to open the armory. Because of this we got to see what would happen if the button is not pushed on time -- weird heiroglyphic symbols appear and than goes back 108 mins. again -- they stumbol on a new need to be solved mystery//secret of the hatch...

Peformance was excellent, the story lined kept you on watching through the end excitedly without even blinking for a second -- "Exactly Why I watch Lost & why im addicted!"
  • How to know

Cómo saber si alguien nos está diciendo la verdad? Cómo saber si no está jugando con nosotros? Qué debemos hacer ante la duda? Escondernos bajo la sábana deseando volver al vientre materno? No sé, y no quiero saber. A veces es mejor dejarse llevar y no volverse loco, paranoico. Dejar que la fruta madura caiga del árbol y así dejar que esa persona se desenmascare sola. Pero y cuando no hay tiempo...?

Sayid nos cuenta cómo se convirtió en, según sus propias palabras, un torturador. Y usa sus habilidades para tratar de saber si aquel a quien capturó Danielle es en verdad uno de "los otros". Quién sabe? Cómo saberlo?
  • A new arrival will leave everybody reeling, even if you know the truth

For the last few episodes, we've been running in place. No one's made any attempt to find Michael or Walt; we're not making progress on that army. and about the only thing that's happened is that Locke and Jack now trust each other less. However, the seasons about to get a charge of adrenaline in 'One of Them', and the man who delivers it is Sayid.

Sayid has been a bystander the last few episodes, because he has been in mourning for Shannon. He has always felt like an outsider on the island; he is never regarded with the same respect that Jack or Locke is. In the flashback, which is arguably the most edifying of all season 2, we learn that he's always felt that way. The flashback is set in the end of the First Gulf War, after Baghdad is invaded. Sayid, looking younger and possessing an innocence we never though he had, was taken prisoner. (And though he is never identified by any of his officer, the man who takes charge is Sgt. Sam Austen, the man that Kate believed was her father. We see him looking at a picture of her in a scene near the end). We know that Sayid was a torturer; now we see that it was the Americans who taught him that particular skill. And he is young enough to feel disgust at his actions, and to swear he would never do it again. However, the man who instructs him (remember his face too) tells him now that he has a skill that he may need someday.

In the present, Sayid is greeting by another person we haven't seen for awhile--- Rousseau. Considering what she did last time, and how (which he points out) trust is an issue. Then we see why she's called for him--- she's captured someone she claims is an Other, and that he will lie to them for a very long time. Everything Rousseau tells Sayid about him eventually comes true, but we won't know why she knows this until Season 5.

The man that she captured calls himself Henry Gale, and that's what I'm going to call him for now. (I'm sure that everybody knows his identity, but nevertheless...) Sayid brings him to the hatch, and tells Locke. They dress the wounds that Rousseau has given him, but Sayid remains wary-- and decides to do what he deems necessary to get the truth. The scene of the interrogation and torture is far less polished than anything that you'd see on 24 or The Shield, but Sayid demonstrates (to Henry's shock) that he has not lost any of his abilities. Unlike those shows, Henry does not break, but Sayid leaves the scene convinced that he is an Other.

This leads the way to yet another Jack vs. Locke confrontation. Jack being a healer is loathe to do what is necessary, and Locke wants to see the evidence. This is completely opposite of their normal approaches--- but Jack finds a way to get past it--- the button. When the computer starts beeping, Jack overcomes Locke, and holds him, reminding him that he doesn't believe anything's going to happen.. Well, he lets Locke go a little late--- and for the first time, we start getting a hint of what might happen when the timer counts down to zero. Could this be the sign that it's for real? We don't yet know, and, judging from Locke's face, he doesn't want to find out. Jack and Locke end the episode trying to keep Henry out of sight, but not convinced that Henry's an other. Sayid is convinced but doesn't think he can explain to anyone why. So he turns to another outsider, Charlie, who was hung by his neck and left for dead by them less than a month ago. It's hard to figure out what Sayid sees in Charlie (this plotline, like a couple others in Season 2 doesn't really go anywhere) but he knows that the coming of Henry is important, and that the survivors need to prepare for something that's coming.

Even the comic subplot of the episode is pretty grim. Sawyer, yet again, is being trouble by nature--- this time he's being harassed by a tree frog. However, now that he's declared himself the 'new sheriff', nobody wants to help him. (And yet he seems surprised when Jin pointedly snubs him: 'We ain't friends no more?") Must like he handled the boar in Season 1, he takes offense to the frog. His assistant is pretty unlikely--- Hurley. Turns out that Hurley didn't give away all the food in 'Everybody Hates Hugo', and he has been binging quite a bit. Sawyer more or less blackmails him. It's hard to believe this could be the beginning of a beautiful friendship, but it is--- Sawyer and Hurley will have a complicated relationship for the next two seasons. Sawyer continues to taunt Hurley, who again shows spine, and tells Sawyer to his face what an jerk he is. Again, Eventually, they run down the frog, but whereas he spared the boars life, Sawyer crushes the little guy. Ouch. Guess this signifies how hard-skinned he is, though he won't have developed iron until quite a bit later.

But this episode is really about two exceptional actors--- Naveen Andrews and Michael Emerson. Andrews ability is a known quantity, but for the last few episodes we've almost forgotten it. The scene where he is about to torture Tariq is shocking, even though we never see him actually do anything--- he just comes out looking older and literally with blood on his hands. He claims that he'll never do it again, but in this episode he seems to realize this and calls himself 'a torturer', as if he's accepted it. Emerson is equally impressive, especially if you've been watching the series. He seems like a frantic, afraid man from Minnesota, but there is something undefinable in his behavior that makes the viewer, not quite trust him. Later episodes will show that we have reason not to trust him.

At the end of 'One of Them', Locke reminds Sayid that Rousseau still thinks of the crash survivors as Others, and that she's still an outsider on an island full of people. So maybe is all relative. But then again, maybe Sayid is right And even if he isn't, there's a whole new set of problems coming.
    My score: 9.7
  • One of Them!!!

From the Writers Perspective:

Sayid desapeared for some time and now it was time to write something for him. From the same mindset from the last episode of Lost, the writers decided to make sayid do what he knows to do best, which is torture someone on the Island.

So how make this happen? Bring one new person and make the audience believe that he is one of the others and this is enough reason to make sayid back to torture mode, since Shannon is dead because of the Others.

This also is accompanied by scenes that explains how Sayid began to be a torturer.

This also allow the writers do their secrect magic, tie things. For example? The French Woman, Sayid need to vengeance or unload is frustation, the Hatch, Jack and Locke debates, into one single episode. The combination is a great episode, with some interesting and greatscenes.

My Point of View:

Did not expected that this episode could be good, because Sayid Flashback this time wasn´t something really special, but is watchble, and is not boring. His flashbacks is only there to buy time and to explain how good Sayid is in torture.

Hugo and Sawyer Scenes did not bother me either, but it was pure filler.

Henry Gales Storyline brought good moments to this episode and allow certain things to happen.

Overall, a interesting episode, but not enough to be superb.
  • We have flashbacks to Sayid in the gulf war, then Danielle appears for Sayid, Sawyer hears frogs everywhere, Jack and Locke don't see eye to eye over a matter.

Ana runs to ask Sayid where Jack is, Sayid asks why and she shows him someone stalking the camp. Sayid tells her it is okay and that he will deal with it personally. He starts to track the person and we find out that it is Danielle and she has something to show him. They go off together, he has a trust issue and so she gives him the weapon that she has and tells him he can keep it if she is not being totally honest.

We have a flashback to the gulf war, where Iraqi are captured in Kuwait and held as pow's, Sayid's use of english means he gets pulled out to translate questions, but he tells the americans the meanings of the translations rather than a true translation.

Danielle leads him to a captured netted other, Sayid goes to release him, even though Danielle says its one of the others, he cuts the trap down only to have the man start to run off, leaving Danielle to shoot him with a crossbow, saying, if i'd have wanted him dead, he would be, take him to your doctor and then communicate with him, that's your job.

More flashbacks for Sayid where he is brought in front of an un-uniformed individual, told about his superior and his role in the gassing of part of Sayids's village, then is given a box of tools, for the purpose of getting information from him regarding a downed pilot.

Back on the island, we have Sayid waking Locke and asking for his help, after a minute or two, in walks Jack in his role of dr and starts to get the patient sorted but only after told be Sayid not to untie his patient at all. Sawyer has recruited Hurley into helping him capture the tree frog in return he won't tell the others he is hording food from them.

Whilst Jack is sorting out the prisoner, removing his arrow etc, Sayid gets Locke to change the combination, explaining that Jack would have a moral obligation to what Sayid is proposing, as Sayid will be getting the information from him as he tells them he needs to know. Then we get a flashback to where he interrogated his own superior officer in order to get the location of the pilot fro them.

Sayid gets the prisoner / patient locked inside the armoury with himself, he starts to question him. Sayid tells him a little of himself.

Meanwhile, Hurley and Sawyer get to the spot where the tree frog is, Hurley trips when trying to catch it, the frog jumps and then Sawyer catches it, hears Hurley saying how he'll take the little fellow a couple of klicks away and maybe find him a nice mrs tree frog, Sawyer says, thats one things we could do, then he crushes the frog and says, i think they go well fried with ranch dressing.

Sayid continues to torture the patient, until Jack forces Locke to open the door, by preventing him from pushing the buttons, the countdown gets passed zero and 4 out of the 5 characters turn red before Locke is able to input the code. Jack drags Sayid off of the prisoner, but in doing so, Sayid sees the look in his eyes and knows that he is one of them.

We then flashback to the gulf war, with a truck driving towards the oil fires and him getting money from the leader and told that the skillset he has he will need to use again one day. He sits on the beach and talks to Charlie, who understands where he is coming from, especially when he reminds Charlie that he was strung up and left to die by one of them.
  • Meet Ben,One of them!

The shake-up the survivors camp might have been the best thing that happened to Season 2. Every show needs something to reinvigorate it from time to time, none less than Lost. To a certain extent the survivors shake-up did do that, based on this episode. We now have a brilliant face-off between Jack and Locke, which stemmed from Sawyer's intervention. But this episode demonstrates that a new character, in the form of Henry Gale, was the ultimate game-changing plot device. Knowing what I do about the series ahead (up to the end of Season 4, at the time of writing this) Henry Gale (known ultimately as Ben Linus) is a pivotal character.
    He went on to become a fantastic character played by the very brilliant Michael Emerson, who won awards for his role.
    I actually forgot that I had already seen Michael Emerson and didn't realise it at the time of watching this episode.
    He was the killer in Saw and he played Oliver Martin in an episode of my other favourite TV Programme, The X Files.
    He certainly steals the show for this episode and it seems plausible that for every episode he features in he will do the same.
    This was a cracking episode. The Locke/Jack showdown was incredible and the timer reaching zero was gripping. For a moment I did think that the Hatch was over.
    Things haven't been as gripping as this for a long time.
    Another impressive thing about this episode are the Sayid flashbacks. They are very atmospheric. The final scene in the desert is so eerie with the pillars of Black Smoke in the background against the moody sky.
    It was also nice to see Danielle again.
    Since Fire + Water the second season has really picked up the momentum and this is quite welcome.
  • This episode centered around Henry Gale is one of my long time favorites of the show

This episode had it all! Action, suspense, answers (well, a few), entertainment and more...
    Who is Henry Gale? Is he an other? How can we know for sure if he is one of them? To Rousseau, we're all others...

This was one of my favorite episodes. I enjoyed the hatch scene where Sayid was torturing Henry. The best scene, the clock going beyond zero, that was a classic..
    This was one of the most awesome episodes to show in a long time, and I mean, a top rated one. Sayid's flashbacks were too, awesome. The high interest waa great, although I don't like torture. The guy (Henry) does not seem to be telling the truth but we really don't know. I'll go with Sayid's judgement, despite his unpleasant actions. Now for Sawyer, what a bugger. Why kill a frog? Move it away or take it somewhere far? Oh well, honestly, Jack and John, s**t, they're brawling. It will probably get from bad to worse between them.

Overall, awesome, awesome, wonderful. The clock ticking down to zero, the torturing of Henry and the brawling, superb. I just hope the season continues on this lucky path.
  • A Sayid-centric episode.

As a whole, I have to say that I really liked this episode. However, in my opinion, this wasn't the best episode ever of Lost, but it was still a very good episode. I thought that all of the flashbacks of Sayid's life were very interesting, but I have to say that my favorite aspect of this episode was the whole storyline about Sawyer and Hurley searching the jungle for the frog that was bothering Sawyer and Hurley telling Sawyer that he had secretly stashed some food for himself. I also really liked the introduction of Henry Gale. In my opinion, it was very well done. All in all, I thought that this was a pretty well written, well acted and well made episode of Lost from everyone involved, and I'm really looking forward to watching the rest of my season two DVD set.
  • Henry: My name is Henry Gale. I'm from Minnesota.

Rousseau leads Sayid to a man she believes is one of the "Others" after She shoots him with an arrow Sayid takes him back to the Hatch. When Locke suggests that they try to get information out of the man who claims to be called Henry Gale, Sayid goes back to his ways as a torturer much to Jacks dislike. Sayid remembers interrogating his own people during the Gulf War. Well this episode was another excellent one from Lost, the introduction of Henry Gale was one of the best things about it because the character brought someone to hate on the show and introduced the bad guy (He would say good guy). The best scene was were Locke and Jack were argueing, there fight s never get old.
  • A much needed episode.

This was really much needed. A plot driven episode rather than character driven. Very dark, very stressful, reminded me of "Orientation". Rousseau captures an "Other" and lets Sayid "take care" of him. I thought the powerplay between Locke and Jack was amazing. Locke helped Sayid to arrange getting himself locked up with "Henry Gale" (that's what the capturee is calling himself) in the now-empty-thanks-to-Sawyer armory. IF anything, this episode was nerve wracking. Jack threatening Locke - no button pushing unless you let me in. Sayid torturing Henry just for the heck of it. Henry has a very convincing story of how he ended up on the island, but Sayid refuses to believe and gets really violent. I thought it made sense, because, the others were the reason Shannon died. And it was just translated into the episode so well. Naveen was amazing.

After 13 episodes, we finally get a clue what happens if the button isn't pushed. Well, something does! Locke fails to push the button in time, and weird hieloglyphs replace the numbers on the counter, also you can hear a mechanical thing revving up the backround. Fortuantely, Dharma is very forgiving, and allows the button to be pushed even after 108 minutes. Now this leads me to believe that it's NOT an experiement, because otherwise why let the subject press the button after the time has passed? Obviously, it's preventing something. But what?

The flashbacks were just as dark as the island story. Learning how Sayid got his torturing skills are somewhat disturbing - he was forced to torture his own commander officer for information. Overall, this episode was perfect, even with the somewhat forced subplot involving Hurley, alot of food, Sawyer and a stupid treefog. But let's just pretend that was the neccessery comic relief for the viewers who can't stand suspense. I also loved the ending, makes you think.
  • Sayid's episode

Sayid has flashbacks of the war. He is captured by American forces and is forced to interrogate his commanding officer in order to find a pilot.

Ana finds Danielle and shows Sayid. He follows her and they come across a man, Henry Gale, in a trap. Danielle says he is one of "them," but Sayid isn't sure. He lets him free, so Danielle shoots him with an arrow. Sayid takes him back to question him. Locke and Jack also help, as Jack cares for his wound and Locke helps Sayid into the combination room to interrogate him, without Jack's knowing. When Jack finds out, he wants Locke to open the door, the alarm starts going off, so Locke opens the door for Jack and runs to push the button. The timer reaches zero and starts showing symbols, but Locke finishes the code and the timer resets. Sayid thinks Gale is one of "the Others," but Jack doesn't think so. Sawyer wants to get rid of an annoying tree frog and with Hurley's help, he finds him.

This episode was really great! I think Gale is one of "them." I don't like Jack much anymore. I wanted to see what happened to the timer, but Locke did the code. This episode gets a 10 out of 10!
  • another sayid centric episode and another great episode.

this episode focuses on sayids military experiences and how they have come to meet henry gale. this episode is very well written and has an amazing storline. and when daniel puts an arrow through henry gale was exciting. i thought she killed him for sure. i loved it when sayid lockes jack out and tortures henry gale. also when sawyer squishes the frog that was kinda funny. this was an awsome episode and i hope they have more episodes like this. and i like learning more about the others and also i liked learning more of sayids life. and its awsome how they didnt tell who the man really was and left that for another episode.
  • Sayid's tourture

I didn't like this episode at all. I never like to see anyone get tortured regardless of what they may have done. I really couldn't tell whether or not Henry was telling the truth or not. During the flashback we see how Sayid first started torturing the enemies. I felt bad for Henry even though it was a possibility that he could be one of the bad guys. Sawyer killing the frog wasn't very attractive either. I thought he could have let the frog go free. But of course that would be completely out of character for someone like him. Not my favorite.
  • Another episode with a great twist in the Lost storyline.

Rousseau leads Sayid to a man she believes is one of the "Others" after She shoots him with an arrow Sayid takes him back to the Hatch. When Locke suggests that they try to get information out of the man who claims to be called Henry Gale, Sayid goes back to his ways as a torturer much to Jacks dislike. Sayid remembers interrogating his own people during the Gulf War. The Long Con had me shocked that they caught another other who seemed very shifty and strange (I always knew he was an other expecially after he gave Sayid that scary look at the end of the episode). Great episode.
  • "He's lying! He's lying...He is one of them!

This episode, which could have really messed up the show had it been bad, pretty much erases all memory of the last two episodes. Its intensity and raw emotional power is hard to find elsewhere this season, and it remains one of my favorite episodes of the year.

Sayid is sought out by Rousseau in the jungle, and brought to a net. Inside is man who says his name is Henry Gale, and that he crashed on the island in his balloon. Rousseau shoots him with an arrow, and Sayid brings him back to the hatch, where he proceeds to torture him. This episode is very personal, and almost all about Sayid. In fact, the only other characters that have more than just a brief cameo appearance are Jack, Locke, Sawyer, Hurley, and Charlie. Out of those five, only two of them really seem to fit in the episode. But anyway, back to Sayid. The interrogation and subsequent torture scenes are quite intense, and I think it was a good artistic choice for most of the beating to be heard rather than seen. This season has had substantially less violence in Season 1-by this episode last year, Sawyer had been tortured and stabbed, Rousseau had tortured Sayid, Charlie had been strung up by his neck, Claire had been kidnapped, Boone had gone on a psychological journey in which Shannon had died (but not really), and numerous other characters had had close encounters with the monster, as well as getting into extremely intense fights. Therefore, Sayid's attack on Henry is really only brutally violent because of how little violence there has been this year.

Every scene is played to perfection by Naveen Andrews. His impatience and frustration while Henry questions what Sayid is doing comes across quite clearly, as well as his anger and sadness while he's beating him. The idea that Sayid knows that Henry is an Other because he talks about his late wife without too much pain is terrific, and it does a great job of remembering what Sayid has been like for the last several episodes. The attempt to further develop Sayid's character could have gone wrong if the writers had simply forgotten about how crushed he was to be without Shannon. The way that's tied into the story is brilliant. Michael Emerson also deserves a mention here. In his first performance as Henry he does a very good job, although the real meat of the role won't be seen for another episode or two.

The flashbacks of the episode are also a highlight. Naveen Andrews looks much younger in them-aside from the obvious haircut, his eyes are much wider and there's a certain innocent quality in them. His performance is still top notch though. The flashbacks show the first time that Sayid tortured someone, and it was his commanding officer. The scenes between the two are well written, and I'm glad the producers realized the mistake of the last full Sayid flashback episode, and didn't try and make the audience side with the Iraqi who was imprisoned and tortured. One of my favorite scenes is the one when Sayid comes out of the interrogation room with the box. As dramatic as it is, and as sad as it is to see what Sayid had to do, I always suppress a laugh when he hands over the box with bloody fingers, immediately after Tariq had said he would never talk. The flashbacks are also brilliant because of the photography. Everything is gray and washed out, and very military feeling. It's in direct contrast to the beautiful island. The last flashback, with the gray, stormy sky and the pillars of smoke is particularly good. A lot of that is attributed to the visual effects department, because the Lost crew has never left Hawaii to film before (with one notable exception), so everything is either a location in Oahu or in a studio, and I think that definitely deserves a mention.

The only thing I don't like about the flashbacks is when Inman reveals he can speak Arabic, and could have easily tortured Tariq himself. Inman is an interesting character. He understands how Sayid feels both before and after he tortures his commanding officer, but still doesn't have any qualms about showing Sayid a tape of his fellow villagers being the victims of a terrorist attack and using him for his own purposes. It makes Americans seem like real slimeballs, since he uses a foreigner to do his dirty work for him (although that really is what America has done in the past and present). As I said, I think the end of the flashback is a mistake. Sayid did go on to torture more people, but I think it would have been better if it was just a part of his life, instead of it being a cosmic decision to turn him into a torturer, as Inman does. The fact that he says something along the lines of, "I gave you skills you may need," is just an awful line, and should never have been put in the episode. It makes it sound like Inman is some sort of omniscient God-figure, and even though fate is an integral component of Lost, I think it was a mistake trying to put it in here.

The confrontation between Jack and Locke down in the hatch reaches a fever pitch in this episode. Jack does not think that what Sayid's doing is necessary, and doesn't want him to do it. Locke agrees with Sayid, that it's critical that Henry is either exposed as a liar or as telling the truth. Jack's anger is just plain irritating to see, and he's a real jackass in this episode. Then again, that's how he's been for most of the season, or at least whenever Locke's around. Locke is desperate to push the button, while Jack thinks it should go down to zero. That it does, and strange hieroglyphics come up. They translate to "cause to die," or to kill, according to that wealth of information, the Internet. That's an apt saying to appear on the timer-if the button isn't pushed, someone may be killed. It also adds to the mystery of the hatch. Now we know that if the button isn't pushed, the timer doesn't simply restart itself. What will happen when the last symbol appears we don't know, but it sure doesn't look like it'll be good.

The subplot of the episode is definitely not to my tastes. Sawyer is bothered by a tree frog, and enlists Hurley to help him find it, after spotting the latter with a stash of food. The subplot tries to do a lot of things, none of them well. First, it tries to explain why Hurley has stayed fat on a desert island, which doesn't need to be explained. If you're so invested in this show that you can't even detach your brain for a second and realize that Jorge Garcia is not really stuck on a deserted island with little food, you need to turn off the TV. It also tries to provide some relief from the main plot, which is the point of every subplot. However, the fact that all the writers could come up with is a tree frog is a little lame. The subplot doesn't need to be critically important, but it shouldn't be so boring the only reason it appears is to seemingly get a few more characters into the story. The last thing it attempts is to try and show the results of Sawyer's announcement in the previous episode. That it also fails at, aside from Hurley saying that everyone likes him, but not Sawyer. If Hurley really had turned around and walked away it would have been much better, but the fact that he stuck around, seemingly only to provide a little bit more impact when the frog is found is pretty bad.

The final scene of the episode, between Sayid and Charlie also ends weird. The body of the scene is great-Sayid explains how he knows that Henry is one of them, by saying that the Others are merciless and that everyone has forgotten how dangerous they can be. However, the fact that it ends with Sayid asking Charlie if he remembers what happened to him has always been a little awkward for me. Not only is the question not answered, but nothing comes of it. Sayid sounds like he might be trying to recruit Charlie for some kind of anti-Henry movement, but there's nothing like that at all in later episodes.

This episode, though it has its imperfections, is still an excellent episode. The things that are wrong with it are largely just things I personally don't like, and have nothing to do with how the episode was made. The intensity and emotion in the episode are terrific, and this is certainly one of the highlights of the season for me.
  • This episode still remains one of my favourite from season 2.

When i rewatch this episode i cannot help buit enjoy. So we are introduced to a mysterious person who goes by the name of Henry Gale. But all of you who are rewatching this episode will know that his real name is Ben and that hje is an other. But when you first watch this episode you have no idea whether he really is an other. Also we get to see a darker side to Sayid for the first time. And maybe he was right to be causious. His flashbacks reveal how he actually because a toururer in the first place. Also in this episode another big mystery was revealed. What happens when the clock hits zero? Well some funny red numbers appear and a big noise begins. So that must be the magnets? Who knows? Because Locke quickly enters the numbers and it resets. At the end of this episode i looked a little closer and it almost appears that Henry is smiling when Sayid walks away. Also in this episode we begin to see where the differences between Locke and Jack begin. They both unimately want the same thing they just have different methods of getting it. So overall i think this is a great episode and still remains a definate favourite of mine. It was also nice to see the Frence lady because we don't really get to see enough of her lately.
  • "My name is Sayid Jarrah... and I'm a torturer."

For quite some time, the hatch didn't really provide anything plot-wise: sure, the button did.. but the hatch, the STATION itself didn't. With this episode, this changes.

This particular(and should I say, terribly underrated) episode's Sayid centric... perhaps, the best Sayid episode to date(I'm writing this episode a week after Season 3 is finished).

Sayid's stories are fairly interesting. Thus far, both of his episodes dealt with... love. Now, this episode, does go far from that, the only love you'll see here is... well, you won't.

But, let's just skip the plot details, because I'm sure whoever is reading, you know what happened. Let's see some analysis...

There were, as most of Lost episodes have, 3 storylines. "A" island plot, "B" island plot and "C" flashback plot. While I think all of these storylines were strong, plot "B" was a little out of place. Although, I've a very good(I think...) reason for this.

Plot "A" deals with the newly captured man from the jungle. Locke helps Sayid to find out the truth: he locks Sayid and "Henry Gale" in the armory, without Jack knowing. This ends up in a double conflict. Obviously, one between Sayid and "Henry Gale", and the second one between Jack and Locke. This results in not only some nerve wracking, super suspensful situation, but also, it's pretty damn DARK. The hatch itself is dark and depressing enough. Add some torture to that, and the "usual" Jack / Locke conflict which is building up since episode 1. This is exactly why the writers decided to add plot "B" which featured Hurley and Sawyer searching for the treefog that was annoying Sawyer... (later he squashes it). This was, to many viewers, some kind of "relief", a neccessery break from all the suspense. And I can live with that, so this storyline is simply not affecting my rating(although, I didn't hate it at all: I think Sawyer killing the frog was very symbolic, he is getting back to his old self, as seen in the previous episode).

Sayid's desire to get answers goes deeper than we think. He lost Shannon: right before that he saw Walt... perhaps, he even heard the whispers. It's natural that he blames all this on the "others", not Ana. That is why he's so desperate, that he would go as far as basically killing Henry Gale. However, this is where the JackLocke conflict connects to SayidHenryGale... beep, beep, beep... to quote Jack "We're under a minute now John... you better think fast[wether to open armory or let clock run down].

Logically, Locke chooses to open the armory. But he wasn't fast enough to enter the numbers: even though the clock resets to 108, before that, it goes under 0, and some strange hieloglyphs are shown. This implies that there's more going on with the button than we first thought. Wether this would give Locke faith - or the opposite... we'll see. Logically, it should GIVE faith, but you never know with Locke...

Sayid's last speech with Charlie about how everyone forgot how dangerous the others were is interesting. Obviously, he's relying on his "ability" to detect lies: he got this ability in... his flashback, where he is forced to torture his commander officer. This is not lighter than the "A" plot, in fact, it's just as dark and depressing. Overall, this episode is purely underrated for several facts: 1. it didn't really give definite answers(never a problem, especially with Lost) 2. it was too narrow for general Lost audience 3. it was too depressing 4. it only featured a few characters.
    Before finishing, let me point out that, apart from Danielle and Ana cameos in the beginning, this episode ONLY featured males. Which, in my opinion, added to the darkness.
  • great episode

Sun is attacked by one of the others, the survivors discuss why the others may be attacking them. Danielle Rousseau leads Sayid to a captive in the jungle. Sayid becomes obsessed with the prisoner and finds a way to figure out if the captive is one of the others. Sawyer finds out that Hurley is hiding a secret from the rest of the survivors. Sawyer promises Hurley that he won't tell everyone about his secret if he helps him find a frog. It's a really good episode, we get to learn stuff about everything. I really enjoyed this episode, it's a good one.
  • Review

The Sun drama continued in this episode for a little bit - with alot of the survivors still worried that some of the others may still be out to try and get them. I thought Sayids flashback was decent, but nothing amazing like with Jack, Kate, Sawyer, and Lockes. The on screen connection between Henry Gale and Sayid when Sayid is questioning him is amazing. The two characters feed off of each other really well and I still dont know what to make of this Henry Gale character that he portrays to be. Some part of me thinks that he is an other, yet another part of me doesnt. The episode was very good overall, with a lot of solid moments. I cant wait to see how this Henry Gale situation resolves itself...
  • Rousseau captures an 'other' and hands him over to Sayid. Good Idea makes for a good episode.

This episode is the darkest of the series, as we see Sayid torture 'Henry Gale' in order to make him talk. It's a thrilling episode, and some truly tense moments. The hatch computer counting down to zero (and beyond) is a heart stopping moment. And what makes it worse is the fact that Jack is having to deal with Locke and Sayid both at the same time. And the flashbacks were excellent. Definately one of the highlights of series 2.
    Two thumbs up!
  • ;_; poor little froggy

6.9
    Well I'm a person that can't really stay anyone around me hurt in any way so I don't the "Sayid tortures people" episodes. Ilike Sayid and what he said about himself, that he thought he would never be capable of doing the stuff he did but founnd out that a part of him always were capable was really deep and good. I was a huge Sawyer fan, now that he's an official a**h**e isn't THAT bad but what he did to the little froggy was mean! I can understand why he is so to the people that like him (though I think it is wrong) but the little froggy had nothing to do with his issues.

the low rating it because I just couln't enjoy this episode since I'm really sensitive about torture.
  • This episode is about Sayid.

This episode is about Sayid. Some of the survivors begin to think that one of the "other survivors" might be one of "The Others." When French woman Danielle Rousseau leads Sayid to a mysterious captive in the jungle, he becomes determined to find out if he is one of "The Others". The captive calls himself Henry Gale but in another episode you'll see if that is his real name. My favorite part of this episode is when Sayid starts to get determined to find out if Henry Gale is one of the others or not. My other favorite part of this show is when we see the reappearance of the French lady.
  • The darkest episode. Yet.

This episode is one of my favorite Lost episodes. It has everything I like in Lost:

Drama, mystery, and a very interesting backstory. Sayid's backstories never let me down. This time we find out how he got to be a torturer.

On the island, Danielle, the french woman captures a stranger who claims to be Henry Gale.

However, given the circumstances, Sayid believes this stranger is an 'other'. The episode continues in the hatch, with Locke, Jack, the stranger and Sayid.

Locke and Sayid quickly makes up a plan to find the truth about the stranger ; Sayid wants to use his torturing skills. However they are both sure that Jack wouldn't let that, so they trick Jack.

The torture scenes were awesome. Is Henry telling the truth?Or is he a brilliant liar?

Although the armory's door is thick, the crawling, the punches are still heard. Jack soonly loses it, and tells Locke to open the door or the button won't be pushed. Locke feels he has no chance, so he instead of letting Sayid do what needs to be done, opens the door and enters the numbers.. almost. The clock reached 0. But, after that, nothing happened, other than hieloglyphs spinning instead of numbers, and also something was starting up, an engine probably in the backround. VERY creepy scene, but unfortunately before the last hieloglyph could spin out, Locke entered the numbers.

This was without a doubt the most nerve wracking scene of the episode. Very well directed. At the end, Sayid is still sure that this Henry Gale is one of them. And he is devoted to find out the truth.
  • The downnfall of Sayid Jarrah.

This is what to me was "the downfall of Sayid Jarrah". That man was going to break, we all knew it. And he knew he needed to blame someone for what happened to Shannon. Sayid was a WRECK.

So this new guy comes in and could possibly be an Other. Sayid asks him questions that get decidedly harder and harder, but Henry remembers everything. So he decides to terrify him and ask and impossible question (clearly, out of his mind at the moment) and when he can't answer it, beats him to a pulp. Takes his revenge. Finds a blame source. Sayid is a psychopath. He has tortured 2 people in the series. He has nearly killed a person 4 times during 2 seasons.
  • Henry, you lie

Sayid is one of my all time favourite characters, so I was a very disapointed to see the fact that Sayid was barely invovled in most of the season 2 plots, and I think he could have mad a huge difference if they had put him in some of them, but since they didn't, thank god for this episode.

The thing that makes this episode great is the fact that it opens up some many more questions, such as and I doubt anyone asked this who is Joe Inman (watch Live Together Die Alone, trust me you'll find out).

I also love this episode for is dramatic twists between characters (such as Jack and Locke). I also liked that Rousseau came back, and with was an "other". And of course the episode had an okay flashback, if it was great or at least good, the episode would be perfect.

Jack: John what if he's telling the truth?

John: What if he's not?

LOST
  • I am a torturer...

Sayid: Jack asked me how I knew -- knew for sure that this man was lying. How I knew for sure that he was one of them -- one of the Others. I know because I feel no guilt for what I did to him. But there is no way I can ever explain that to Jack, or even Locke, because both of them have forgotten.

Charlie: Forgotten? What?

Sayid: That you were strung up by your neck and left for dead. That Claire was taken and kept for days during which god only know what happened to her. That these people -- these Others -- are merciless, and can take any one of us whenever they choose. So tell me, Charlie, have you forgotten?

A better episode than those that surround it that works mainly because of its revealing flashbacks focused on Sayid, one of the better characters. A supposed Other is found - Henry Gale. Is he an Other, or isn't he? I don't really care either way, just get on with it! The only sitting up and taking notice I did was with Locke and the computer when those weird symbols appeared. Freaky. What do they mean? We'll probably never find out...
  • This is... it. You wanna know who I am? I am Sayid Jarrah... and I'm a torturer.

One of the finest episodes of season 2. This episode was character - driven, however, it was very adventorous and at the same time, it had excellent drama in it with a little humor. Ready?

Basically there were 3 plots in the episode.

1. Sayid - Captured other 'Henry Gale'
    2. Sawyer/Hurley - treefog
    3. Jack and Locke arguing.

Let me start analyzing the weakest one. Sawyer/Hurley.
    They were funny. Undoubtfully. But their subplot was useless in this episode. I think the writers just couldn't come up with something else to feature Sawyer...since he had the last episode.

At least Sawyer found Hurley's secret food stash. Sawyer became cruel again, though. As they find the treefog, Sawyer- instead of letting it go, smashes it. I guess it shows how he doesn't want to change...

Rousseau is back. She captured an 'other'... at least she thinks that. She turns to Sayid. Why? Because she knows who Sayid is really . She wants Sayid handle the situation. However, Sayid, at first, believes the man is not an other. So he cuts him down when Rousseu hurts Henry resulting in a painful wound that has to be taken care of.

Sayid takes Henry to the hatch where Jack and Locke are staying. The captured man claims he's Henry Gale from Minnesota, and that he came with a balloon, with his wife, but his wife got sick and... died.
    However, now, Sayid doesn't believe him. So he and Locke set up a plan... Sayid locks himself and the capture into the armory, Locke changes the lock and...

here comes the most intense arguing scene. EVER.
    Jack wants Locke to open the door. He refuses...

What if he's telling the truth?
    WHAT if he's NOT?
    Counter beeping... 3:59, 3:58, 3:57...

Jack gets mad...
    Grabs Locke:
    The button, Jack.. We..
    Yes Locke, we what?
    We must push it we don't...
    We don't what?
    YOu wanna see whats gonna happen?
    Let's just see whats gonna happen!

The incredible acting. On both sides. What makes this scene more powerful is Sayid torturing Gale...

WHERE did you bury your wife?
    HOW did you bury her?
    If you REALLY buried her you would REMEMBER!
    Did you lose someone?
    Yes.. I did. It was an accident... People like YOU caused it!

But, sometimes...
    ..its too late.

Jack and Locke still arguing..

'we're under a minute now, John..you better think fast!'

THen Locke finally gives up. Tells Jack the combination to the lock.

'You thinkI'm stupid? YOU open it!'

We are under 10secs now!!!!

Locke is still opening the armory...

5sec!

opened... Locke rushing to the computer... Seems like he still has enough time to enter the numbers!
    4 8 15 15.. oh no, Locke, you mistyped!!!!!

Locke as every people makes mistakes, now we can see that. Locke quickly tires to correct his mistake, but...

We hit 0.
    We got blow 0.

Counter starts flipping... OMG, the button does nothing?
    Wait.. what was that? Why is the counter turning red?

Suddenly instead of numbers hieloglyphs start to appear. John is curious, and observes them.. but he knows he must enter the numbers. He HAS to. Weird noises are heard, like something is starting up.. Real loud, and real fast. John enters the numbers, suddenly the noise goes away.

Locke looks at the numbers once again. He can't believe what he saw.

Then suddenly Jack brings out Sayid... who's beaten up Gale very well...

Sayid looks at Henry once more. Henry looks at Sayid... eyes of innocent one? No. Henry IS an other.

Final scene contains Charlie and Sayid...

Sayid: Did you forget it when they captured you and hung you?
    Did you? Beacuse they all did.
    And you know what? That man.. is an other. I didn't feel guilty while torturing him. He's a liar.
    So Charlie, once again.. Did you forget?

**LOST**

I must talk a little about the flashbacks.
    They were decent(minus the cheesy CGI), we found out how Sayid became a torturer. And we met Kate's father... Unexpected at least.

The episode had no females. Only at the beginning, Ana telling Sayid that she saw Rousseau, and of course Rousseau , but she's not in the main cast. The episode focused only on a few characters, but it was excellent this way.Long live Lost.
  • Sayid gets back on scene...

This episode marks the end of the first half of this second season. Why? Because Henry Gale makes his appearance, and he is the one who will disturb the apparent peace between the survivors.

It all starts when Danielle Rosseau, the French woman, arrives to the camp and asks for Sayid. She has something to show him, and it´s urgent...
    When Rosseau shows Sayid that she has a prisoner, the worst thoughts appear in his mind: he may be an other. But, after carrying him to the hatch and bending his wounds, he won´t admit he is an other... All he says is that his baloon crashed to the island, and that´s not what Sayid wanted to hear.

The Flashback is about Sayid´s life as an Iraqui soldier: how he didn´t tell the truth to the USA soldiers and how he had to torture his "boss" after discovering he had killed the people he loved.

Back to the hatch, Sayid decides he has to do the one thing he promised not to do ever again: torture. But this didn´t helped Henry to confess, because he was interrupted by Jack, who didn´t approve what Sayid was doing.
    But Sayid did not feel guilty about what he did, in fact, that´s why he was sure Henry Gale is an other.
  • My name is Sayid Jarrah, and I am a torturer.

With the divisions more visible than ever, it is time for Lost to throw some major curve balls at the castaways. Enter Henry Gale, a man found alone in one of Rousseau's traps, with no one to vouch for his identity, but appears to be rather meek. This would turn to be a turning point for the second season and a time for one of Lost's best actors to shine.

Sayid hasn't had a big role since Shannon died, despite the initial promise of major drama. He has been in mourning, and since this season has covered a much shorter time span than the first, it would be rather unbelievable that he wasn't brooding a week after her death. The arrival of Henry gives him motivation in the story as he knows how to get information. It also gives him the opportunity to pin a face on what happened to Shannon, and when that dark side reveals itself, things aren't going to end well.

While the flashbacks (they do a good job making Sayid look 23!) try to correlate with an island event that precedes it, they swapped it in the prologue, which doesn't quite work. However, Sayid and other soldiers frantically destroying documents to the sound of gunfire and explosions is more compelling than Danielle asking for help. Regardless, the flashbacks work well alongside the current situations, something Lost occasionally has problems with. In both cases, Sayid is forced to reveal his darkest side to get information out of someone who is responsible (or believed to be responsible) for killing people he loved.

An interesting piece of this back story is that the Americans gave Sayid his "My Lil' Torturer Home Kit", changing the path of his life dramatically. It is also worth noting that the man Kate believed was her father was among the American squad who turned him. Clancy Brown, of the beloved Carnivale, was someone I thought would work well with Lost's mystery and menace. It was surprising that he was given a role that appeared to be rather restricting, as the DIA agent who gives Sayid the kit.

Henry Gale's introduction and resulting incarceration is the impetus for the action that takes us through the end of the season. One nit pick worth noting is that no one asked for him to draw a map or to the balloon where his wife is supposedly buried or to ask him to lead them to it. Because no one does either, he is stuck in the empty armory indefinitely. This is a very difficult situation for them, and it would be far worse if Henry turned out to not be one of them. It's not like he could go from suspected other to just one of the castaways like that. Regardless, Henry's arrival has started to divide the castaways, with Jack on one side and Locke and Sayid on the other.

Sayid's motivations are clear, but Locke's are harder to pin. While Locke believes in the island, he hasn't said much about how he feels about the others. There was the time he spoke after the first raft burned, but that appeared to be more deflecting the blame away from the culprit Walt. Perhaps he hopes to get some insight into the island from them that he wouldn't have otherwise.

As far as his story goes, Henry's seems sound. He answers their questions easily with little deviation, and he maintains under Sayid's torture. There is no "tell" that the audience can point to as proof of his deception. While he doesn't remember the details of his wife's burial, it is hardly an "Ah-ha!" moment as he remembers practically everything else. Usually, they would reveal by the end of the episode that he was, but because they don't, it could be assumed that he isn't or that there is something a lot more to him than just an "Other".

Since there is no answer, Sayid's torture of Henry is more unsettling. Potentially, Henry could be telling the truth and Sayid could be pounding an innocent man senseless. This is the third consecutive episode to feature the "centric" character reverting to his dark side and it is easily the most disturbing. Sayid's "…and I am a torturer" speech clinches it, as he realizes this part of him is his defining characteristic.

The one piece that didn't rate well with me was the subplot involving Sawyer and Hurley roam the jungle for that frog. It is worth noting how much Sawyer has changed from letting that boar live in "Outlaws" (Sawyer would've had bacon for breakfast if it crossed paths with him in this episode), but it seems insignificant compared to the other developments.

We're given a little bit more insight as to what happens when the button isn't pushed in time. Considering the presence it has had this season, for nothing to happen would be extremely anticlimactic. The writers nudge us slightly further down the "what happens" mystery. In this case, the countdown counter flips into black and red hieroglyphics that say something that means something like "die" (only one of the 5 slots wasn't revealed before Locke got the numbers in, so the full message can only be guessed). Also, as the hieroglyphics locked in, the sound of some machine revving up could be heard.

This begs many questions. Lost has used all kinds of religious and historical pieces to build the island's complex mythology, but why would Dharma use hieroglyphics? Perhaps Dharma knew that what not pushing the button meant and decided to hide it from those stationed at The Swan in code, even though the alarm, black and red pictures and machinery was menacing enough to tell them they were screwed. Also, why is the button able to be pressed despite the countdown running to zero and beyond? Shouldn't such a mechanism start winding up as the counter is winding down, like a space launch? These seem moot, as the end result gave us a little bit more of the answer, which leads to more speculation, part of the fun of watching Lost.

Sayid's conversation with Charlie draws parallels to Jack's with Ana-Lucia at the end of "The Hunting Party", but there seems to be more weight in Sayid's "have you forgotten". Jack was more tending to his wounded pride. With Sayid and Charlie, it is far more personal. Charlie almost died and The Others were somehow responsible for Shannon's death. Who better equipped to start an army than a guy who has actually been in one? Ana-Lucia would probably be better equipped for this team too.

Just when things couldn't go worse, a new person comes along to further break them apart. The relationships in conflict are increasing in complexity, as Sayid takes his stand. This episode only focused on a few characters (besides Ana and Rousseau, no other woman had a speaking line this week), and that proved rather effective, as this moment is pivotal in the course of the season.
< 1 2 3 4