Lost

One of Us

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Apr 11, 2007 on ABC

• Predictable Plot.Predictable Characters

I am sure most Lost viewers knew that Sayid's threat to Juliet was an empty threat. Just seeing the promo made me realize that Juliet would be alive and kicking by the end of this sadly predictable story. I realize now that the writers had to kill off Ana-Lucia and Mr. Eko so that no really strong, independent character could actually challenge Jack's return as Island Leader. Sayid has been a paper tiger for a while now and Sawyer being out smarted by Hugo while amusing was also out of character from the Sawyer from seasons 1 and 2. The Lost writers seem to think human behavior is so predictable that noone would question the timing of Claire's illness to Julit's arrival. The writers thought that Sayid and Sawyer would not anticipate Juliet's knowledge of their past to manipulate them when they issued more empty threats. I see the next episode promo seems to show more action in it. Hopefully, the next episode won't be as predictable and we'll finally see someone so fed up with being manipulated that that person will lash out at the right target for a change.
  • You little snake...

7.1
    I was never sure of Juliet's loyalty, but it still came as a little surprise. This episode felt like a filler, but a necessairy one. Now we've found out Juliet's true intentions (although we know nothing more than her tries to earn the trust of the planecrash survivors), and with the information there's something going to happen in one week according to Ben, this is gonna be great. Other than the big reveal at the end, there's more to enjoy. Juliet's past, but mostly her first few years on the island are very nice insights. Also great to see the C-4 gardening shed again, including Mikhail. The first scene between Hurley and Juliet is also something to be mentioned. Hopefully the show picks it from here, without boring stuff like episodes like "Exposé" thrown at us just to complete the season.
  • Finally! An episode that is revealing a bit more info to explain some of the bizarre events on the island.

7.3
    I did NOT see Juliette's mission coming. That one whopped my brain! Will she, won't she? Hmmm...I can honestly say I am finally looking forward to the next episode for the first time in months.

And I'd like to know when Jack and Claire are going to figure out that they are brother and sister...?
    Is it just me... or are the freakish interconnected lives and events starting to seem almost incestuous?

I mean "excessively or improperly intimate or exclusive." Ex. "Mainstream fashion magazines have an incestuous relationship with advertisers" ***Not the brother sleeps with sister kind of incestuous-ness!*** (i hope) ;)

The interwoven back stories about these characters continue to get tangled up in one gigantic web. Will they ever figure that stuff out? Will we ever get all the answers the promo's promise? I'm getting a bit tired of waiting and waiting -not to mention disappointed. Seems like most episodes are slow paced on purpose. Snail slow. Hard-to-watch slow. About-to-lose-a-regular-viewer slow! But this episode reminded me more of the well-written, action-packed hours of the first season.
    Let's see more of that!!!
  • Really good episode.

"One of Us" is a Juliet-centric episode that focuses on her journey to the island, her life on the island and her reasons for coming to the island. It also brings us to Jack, Kate, Sayid and Juliet coming back to the island and getting a warm welcome. Well, at least for 3 of them. The people on the island don't approve much of Juliet because of what she has done.

In Juliet's flashback, we find out that she comes to the island for her sister. We also find out that she has stayed on the island a lot longer than she should have. I found the flashback very informative on a lot of things. Like the others, what they are really doing on the island, and of course, the ending was a little obvious.

On the island though, Juliet decides to gain everyone's trust by curing Claire. Although when we witness the ending, we find out that what she did wasn't so heroic after all. Their journey on the island was OK. I didn't really like it so much. The flashback was clearly the highlight of the episode.
  • I'm really glad that my constant reassuring of people that the writers know what they are doing is paying off.

As if she didn't enthrall me enough last week, this week Elizabeth Mitchell blew me away with her portrayal of Juliet. Considering Lost's rate of bringing on new characters and then killing them (Ana-Lucia, Eko, Libby, Nikki, Paulo), I'm hoping she sticks around for a long time. Her flashbacks this week were definitely more twisty than her previous episode, and her interactions with Ben were fantastic. They are arguably the two best actors on the show, other than maybe Terry O'Quinn (Locke), and watching their scenes on the beach, then in Ben's house, then with Mikhail was so enjoyable.

I'm also really glad that my constant reassuring of people that the writers know what they are doing is paying off. I don't think anybody at this point can say that they didn't know, even as far back as season 1, that they didn't have a clear idea of where this series was headed. So what do we know now about the Others' mission? Are they actually there to use the power of the island to cure disease? That would go along with their "we're the good guys" mantra. But it wouldn't explain the kidnappings and murders. I've never seen Canadian pharmaceutical companies plucking children off the street for testing. But while I am always glad when things are more complicated than they seem (such as the case with Juliet being a mole), it kinda annoys me that it pretty much negates most of the answers we got in this episode (minus the facts from the flashbacks). So, are they really trying to save pregnant women or not? Do they really all die in childbirth? Why would they put an implant in Clare months ago and only activate it now? They had no idea what would happen since then.

Next week will be awesome...Desmond once again takes center stage, and he hasn't let me down yet...

Line of the week (not in terms of humor, but in terms of spookiness):
    Ben: See you in a week.
  • A snake in the grass? Juliet infiltrates the camp and seems to have Jack under her thumb. We see the camp beginning to lose faith in the doc, will Juliet be his final downfall?

As the realization that Jack meant to leave them all on the island without a backwards glance begins to dawn on the survivors we may see the beginning of the end for Jack as the leader of the pack and the rise of Sawyer, who seems almost saintly these last few episodes.

I can see juliet pulling a double cross on the others over the next few episodes but dying before she can reveal too much about the island to Jack, who will obviously be by her side as she slips into the blackness. She will probably have kidnapped the baby Aaron and turned him over to the others at this stage but will realise the error of her ways, too late although to redeem herself.

Locke is going to come back in a big way and we are going to see the darker side of him once again, which is the side I like best and is the side I think the writers alwsys intended on bringing to the fore.

Oh yeah, someone's gonna die, and it ain't Charlie.

I probably have it all arseways though, so don't blame me if things don't turn out like I said....I just had a smoke.
  • Good episode. Moved the story along, but not enough surprising moments to put it among the best. Still, some necesary and interesting plot movements.

The story progressed well, and was constructed in a solid way, but I find the best episodes of Lost have either very surprising moments or powerful character developments, or both. This had neither and was more by the numbers. The fertility issue had been hinted at in a dozen different ways previously. Nice to have it confirmed, but hardly a surprise.

I expected more character revelations about Juliet in the flashbacks, but rather saw ones that made sense, but weren't all that revealing. Given how Juliet was presented as timid before she arrived on the island, and that the Juliet we've seen so far this season has not only been strong, but calculating like Ben, I expected to see more to explain how she evolved to that point and adapted those skills. Perhaps we will in the future, but there were no surprises with her character development, and there was a lacking of explanation of EXACTLY how she changed (learned to fight, learned to manipulate).

I did like how she disarmed Sayid and Sawyer by referencing their past misdeeds. The series started with the premise of everyone being strangers and getting some sort of fresh start, which has certainly been a critical theme, but Juliet weakened two characters by removing their ability to do that--by pulling them back into who they were before. I also liked the potential foreshadowing of Jack losing his role as leader (evidenced by his insisting to the camp that his word should be enough for them to trust him about Juliet and their reluctance; and by his asking Charlie if he trusted him, and Charlie's long pause). Perhaps when Juliet's betrayal is revealed, Jack will lose his standing, which will be a very new role for him...and with Locke gone, the transition has been set up for Sawyer to shift into that role (as suggested last week).

A couple details that were interesting: the Others did not arrange for the survivors to be on the plane (since Ben instructed Mikael to find out about them); Juliet was "with" Goodwin; still, such details were hardly shocking. I do compliment how the writers (et al) were able to still surprise me with the ending. Going into the episode, Juliet being a "spy" was a very obvious possibility, but they did a good enough job during the episode (and last week) of convincing me otherwise, so it was still somewhat of a surprise when it was revealed.

It was a necessary episode from a story construct, since it moved everything back to the camp, and set up the final story arc for the remaining episodes. I am very much looking forward to next week's Desmond episode, as his two have so far been among the absolute best of the series. This was a good episode, just somewhat obvious.
  • Revealing, but lacking in other aspects...

So this was a good episode for all those people that keep shouting "we want answers! We want answers!" And don't get me wrong, I was delighted to find out some of those answers.
    But there was just no excitement whatsoever. I would say it was the dullest episode of the series so far.
    I would even go so far as to say that the episode was a bit of a let down in some respects. It showed us that Jack is just a dullard, far too easily played. That Sayid and Sawyer were bad-asses before they got on the island, but now they can't even back chat blondie.
    And the writers having to tell people that Juliet was a mole? It was obvious enough, without them having to spell it out in plain Engish!
    I think this episode was just to appease all those moaner fans out there.
    Let's get back to the action next week, please!
  • Naked Ice cream lady saved preggers as hobby

Good flashback, we learn quite a lot in this episode but it still retains a lot of information, which is good. Juliet seems like an interesting new character and this episode in comparison with her last centric episode is a lot better.

Both the real-time and flashbacks work off each other quite well and work off previous episodes and seasons so it feels more episodic rather than brief previous happenings.

The use of reflective music and slow montages of people returning to the island becomes slightly repetitive after a while, this particular scene was more than reminiscent of rehashed ones from previous seasons and episodes.

The twist at the end isn’t particularly mind blowing, you may suspect it long before it happens and if like me, you didn’t, it still doesn’t particularly wow you.

Overall, good solid episode, well it never rises to greatness non the less enjoyable, a reminder why you watch lost, as well as that lost hasn’t become lost, keep watching.

I will give it a 8.1, I don’t think it is deserving of its current 9.6 rating, good, but hardly a classic, let’s not get ahead of ourselves here.
  • We get an answer, or two, three tops... but we get tons of new questions, AGAIN!

I'm sorry, but I tired of this!

Okay, the four last episodes gave the audience some answer and I thought, okay, maybe I'll start liking Lost again. But come on! Every time they give us an answer, at the end of the episode we're again with tons of new questions.

WHY does Juliet double-cross Jack after all the things The Others have done to her? They would have executed her for crying out loud!

Have the producers already sheduled an end for Lost? Will there be another season or not? Because I want to know how long I need to suffer and whine and be angry because we know approximately nothing more of what is going on there.

ANSWERS PEOPLE! ANSWERS!
  • Cleverly plotted indeed but the idea was so easy to catch and guess. It was just not possible that Juliet was out for any good.

I do not like that Juliet character and after this episode - first I felt that maybe another Juliet centered episode this season will maybe little help as she does have interesting past and we do not know much about her but... the ending, every good those flashbacks and her "kindness" towards them did, was undone. She looked so contempt when thinking back to the talk with Ben. She was so .. she seemed to felt no guilt that she is fooling everyone. All the false hope that she seemed promise everyone and time she took for herself - they will finally find it out. And Sayid was right again - he just reads people like books. And the scene near that three - Saywer and Sayid made a big mistake that they let her go - they show that she has power over them, that she can order them. Psychologically interesting move. I am not sure they thought about it.

Anyway, not the best but intriguing. Leading in into something greater.
  • Review

Other then the random twists and turns near the end of the episode that prooves that Juliet is not "One of us" and is in fact "One of them", this episode was a really strong filler episode. The scenes with Sayid and Sawyer didn't really tell us much of anything new - the others pretty much have shown there ability to know things beyond the scoop of what they can learn of the survivors on the island. The beginning fourth of the episode with Juliets starting flashbacks and walking back to the beach was a very strong filler part of the episode. The only real strongpoints of the episode came near the end, when we learn that everything in this episode (Claires sickness) was all a bluff to get Juliet inside with everyone when she was able to cure the sickness that Claire was feeling. Juiets second part of her flashbacks when she was on the island was much better then the first half. Her on screen connection with Ben is good and the fact that her sister is alive certainly shows the healing powers of the island, barring that those were in fact her sisters x-rays the first time around and not just a plan by Ben to give her something to stay on the island. The fact that Juliet was involved with Goodwin didn't say much, it actually made me wonder why she was so shook up over Ethans death every time it was mentioned in the episode. Overall it was basically a very strong filler episode, but not one of the shows (or seasons for the matter best.
  • It's official. Juliet is the more attractive version of Ben.

Juliet was my second favourite character from the season, so naturally I was really excited to see her episode.

Truth be told... I wasn't completetly blown away as others. Sure, it was great, but I thought there was more potential to this episode.

Let's start with the good.

The performances by Elizabeth Mitchell and Michael Emerson. Absolutely awesome.
    But before we get to that - I loved the way the episode picked up not so much after Not in Portland. Good continouty. Liked seeing Ethan again, and of course, Richard.

The most beautiful scene of the episode had to be Juliet getting out of the sub and seeing the island for the first time. Great music, great cinematography, great directing. That scene is very memorable to me.

Also loved everything about the flashback. Juliet slowly realizing that she won't be leaving the island any soon was done well. Her sudden break downs and stress were portrayed amazingly by Elizabeth. 2 scenes stuck out. The one on the beach with Ben, and the one in the kitchen with... Ben.

Yep, those 2 scenes stole the show. Especially the kitchen one. One of the best acted scenes of the entire show. Juliet realizing Ben is a liar, and Ben... well... sticking to his lie. Now, the ending was good too, revealing that Juliet is actually still working for Ben, even though it felt like something you'd see in an episode of 24, not Lost.

Now the bad.

Not bad actually, just disappointing. The island story. Up to the point where Juliet and co arrived on the island it was great. And I loved the scene where the camp looks at Juliet, like "What the hell are you doing here?" But from there on... hmm. Claire gets sick because of something the Others put in her while she was kidnapped. And now it's activated and it's up to Juliet to save her. Yes, a set up by Ben. Can't say it couldn't be planned but it definitely felt like an after thought and portrays Ben as the Perfect Man Who Has Everything Planned. I know that's the point, but come on... this?? And that's about it. The island portion of the episode was really slow and it just seemed to fill the time between the flashbacks.

Overall, Great episode, with some nice revelations, but it could've been better. It felt unbalanced. The flashbacks were packed, while the island story was lacking .
  • Yay, Jack's back on the island! And it only took sixteen episodes! That may very well be a record for this show!

Let's start with the flashbacks.

The flashbacks in this episode take place pretty much right after those depicted in "Not in Portland" and chronicle important points in Juliet's time on the island up until just before the current events of the previous episode, "Left Behind." Juliet's story is interesting here. Jack mentions near hte end of the episode that because of her eagerness to escape the island, she is more like the Castaways than she is like the Others. This is an interesting bit of speculation, but it's not entirely accurate.

Unlike most of the Others we've seen, Juliet desperately wants to return home to her sister and nephew and her normal life, but at the same time she is dedicated to her work and is willing to do whatever it takes to protect it - even if that means kidnapping, torturing, and killing the otherwise innocent survivors of Oceanic 815. She wants off of the island, but her loyalties lie completely with the Others. In many ways, she's at once a Castaway AND an Other. It's an interesting dichotomy that I hope we see explored in later episodes.

Other than that, I really don't have any comments. The main story, featuring the Castaways being distrustful of Juliet and Claire coming down with an unusual sickness, was kind of predictable, and really only served to reinforce what I've already said. Okay, I do have ONE thing about that - I'm glad that Juliet's version of Ethan's motivation for kidnapping Claire appears to have been invalidated by the end of the episode (for my money, the final flashback makes it appear that she was only spinning events in this way to gain the trust of the Castaways). It fits with what it appears the Others are up to on the island, so I'm sure some of it is true, but otherwise it just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Kidnapping Claire was a last resort? So why does he hang Charlie and beat the heck out of Jack? Not really a lot of sense-making, there.
  • Also Very good...

I don't really have anything good or anything bad to say about this episode. I didn't like how Juliet had the key to the handcuffs all along and how she pretended to not know about the smoke monster all along. I think it just shows the viewers not to trust her because she uses things to her advantage. Its really hard to read her and figure out what she is about-if she is a good guy or a bad guy. It was really nice to see Jack at the end of the episode. He is one of my favorite characters, but it seems like he won't be the same old Jack now that Juliet is going back to the main camp with them. I am glad that Sayid was there too. He is really starting to grow on me. And of course, there goes Locke being all mysterious again not telling Kate where he was going. I did like Kate's flashbacks and how she and Cassidy got together to see Kate's mom. I did find it ironic though that the man Cassidy got involved with (Sawyer)is not the man Kate is involved with. I wonder how that would pan out if they were back in the real world, considering Cassidy and Kate really got along well and had good rapport with each other. I am really looking forward to the next episode.
  • One of the most obvious and unshocking plot twist ever, but it opens up another interesting direction for the show to go in...

This episode had a lot of hype and amounted to little. It was still very interesting, but I found the storyline incredibly predictable, the pregnant women disease, Juliet being a traitor...everything. The episode left us wondering "What will she do?", "Who is Jacob?", "What is Ben's problem?" and other various questions. I found the last Juliet-centric episode boring and I found this one boring too. I find Juliet to be an interesting on-island character, but her back-story is not required. Ben says he'll see Juliet in a week, 7 days, 7 episodes. If my math is correct, that's the finale, so something tells me Juliet is going to do something HUGE or die. I'm looking forward to this finale more than the previous two.
  • ‘Every pregnant woman on the island had died’ (exact quote from Juliet) until Claire delivered her baby and survived. This one sentence is the most important revelation as of yet for the show!

The episode starts out with Sayid, Jack, Kate and Juliet trekking across the island with the hopes of returning ‘home’ within a day or two. As Kate and Jack are gathering firewood, Sayid begins to interrogate Juliet. However, once Jack returns, Jack tells Sayid that Juliet is ‘under his protection.’ And a major plot development is revealed during a casual talk between Jack and Juliet as they are walking towards the ‘base camp’ the following day – turns out Juliet (and Ben) planned the ‘waking-up-handcuffed-to-Kate’ elaborate idea. Jack and Sayid continue, throughout the episode, to argue over when Sayid can approach Juliet to ask questions and possibly find answers. Jack insists that ‘given time,’ Juliet will reveal what she knows about ‘the Others.’

The flashbacks in this episode are centered on Juliet; mainly, on how she arrived on the island. Sure enough, it was via submarine. Juliet is also made aware by Benjamin Linus(Ben) of the fact that her sister’s cancer has returned – he then pleads with Juliet to stay on the island and help the females, and, in turn, Ben will heal Juliet’s sister. Juliet, later in the episode, is shown by Ben that her sister had indeed been healed of her cancer and delivered a healthy baby boy she named ‘Julian.’ Ben wanted to prove to Juliet that he is a man that stands by his word.

‘Every pregnant woman on the island had died’ (exact quote from Juliet) until Claire delivered her baby and survived. Juliet developed a serum that allowed Claire to survive, but Claire is going through severe withdrawal symptoms, as she hasn’t had an injection in some time and now is becoming rather sick. Juliet also was the person who discovered the tumor inside Ben on his L4 vertebrae. After begging to have permission to leave the Island, Ben does not allow it. She is, for all intents and purposes, ‘stuck’ on the Island.

While she is at the 'base camp,' Juliet goes on a mission to find medical supplies for Claire – and right behind her are Sayid and Sawyer. But Juliet quickly puts both of them in their place. As Jack tells Juliet in the end, ‘you want to get off this island more than anyone in the world. That makes you one of us.’

A part of the episode I particularly enjoyed was when Jack, Kate (Did you see the way Sawyer looked at her?) and Sayid appeared walking towards the ‘base camp’ for a reunion of sorts. It is only when Juliet is spotted that the moment becomes a bit uneasy for some of the main cast. This episode was a very good one – definitely a huge improvement over the past two episodes. Great seeing more screen time for the characters all of us ‘Lost’ fanatics have grown to genuinely care about.

Note: Did anyone notice that the company’s name that Juliet was hired by was named ‘Mittelos Bioscience?’ Well, if you scramble the letters of the word ‘Mittelos,’ you can make the phrase ‘Lost Time’ or ‘Time Lost.’
  • Juliet joins Jack, Kate and Sayid at the beach camp. Claire falls ill.

Well, the big question this episode was of course aobut Juliet. Can she be trusted or can't she?

Reading other reviews, the concensus seems to be that she can't but I'm not so sure. As far as we know, she's betrayed Ben at least once before, so who's to say the bit at the end of the episode is not another one of her calculated attempts at gaining Ben's trust. I tend to agree with Jack, she DOES want to get off the island.

It's nerve-wracking, not knowing who to trust and this means that the writers are doing a great job. Even though not that much happened in this episode, it was still very well written and informative. The bit at the end was a great teaser for next week. What will happen in one week...
  • There's an Other on the beach, and her mission isn't peaceful

One would hope that by getting another flashback on Juliet's life, we might finally get some damn answers as to what the hell the Others are up to. In 'One of Us', we get some answers as well as some from Juliet, but by the end of the episode we're so turned around, we're not sure what to believe--- not unlike the Lostaways and Juliet herself. But step by step.

Following 'Not in Portland', Juliet joined Mittelos Bioscience even though she knew nothing about it. One wonders why such a careful person as Juliet would leave her pregnant sister, even for six months. But even though she came to the island voluntarily, it's not long before she wants to leave. She is a groundbreaking fertility specialist, and the people on the island have a big problem--- none of the Others can carry a child to term without dying. And despite all of her research, there was nothing that she could do to stop it. But when she tried to leave, Ben emotionally blackmailed her by telling her that her sister got cancer, and that 'Jacob' could cure her. Now that we know a bit more about Ben, there's a very good chance he was talking out of his ass, but it was enough to buy Juliet's acceptance. Then three years passed, and Ben developed a tumor on his spine--- which went again the idea that no one on this island got cancer. Juliet tried to use it as a way off the island, but Ben managed to show he'd cured her--- without even leaving the island. But he kept Juliet focused on the fertility issues, and he kept her on the island.

Now it seems that the Others have cast her aside, but no one is as willing as Jack to just forgive or forget. Sayid starts the questioning early before the group makes it back to camp, demanding answer. Juliet looks him right in the eye, and says that if she told him everything, he would kill her. Her admission completely throws him. One can still imagine that he would press the matter if Jack wasn't in her corner.
    But the real trouble begins when they make it back to camp. The survivors have seemed rudderless since Jack was kidnapped, and now with the season nearly two-thirds over, they seem overjoyed--- until Juliet walks out behind Kate and Sayid. Now think about it. The man who has effectively been leading your neck of civilization for 84 days returns, bringing back someone that is part of the kidnapping, torturing, imprisoning, and killing Others--- and tells them she's not to be touch. Jack's leadership has always been very shaky, but it very quickly seems like there's going to be a mutiny. (Everyone's so astounded by this that no one thinks to ask what has happened to Locke, the man who went out looking for them, until hours later But then considering that he blew up their way off the island, he might be even less welcome than Juliet.) Everyone is very hostile. Even mellow Hurley--- who seems somewhat ashamed that he's been recruited for guard duty--- seems somewhat disquieted. He treats her nicely enough, but then finishes by mentioning that they killed Ethan and buried him away from the rest of the survivors. Heavy, for that guy.

Then a new crisis emerges Claire comes down with a serious ailment, and seems to be near death. Juliet then spins a tale about what Ethan did to Claire when she was still pregnant--- which means some of what happened during Claire's flashback in 'Maternity Leave' was real. It doesn't explain why Alex was trying to save her, but maybe she was even less of an Other than Juliet. Juliet then leaves to get medical supplies, and again is corner--- this time by Sayid and Sawyer. She then manages to shame them by throwing the fact that they are ethically have the lowest morals pre-island, which seems to shame done, but still doesn't seem to justify what she and the Others might be doing. She saves Claire, and that's enough for her to win a grudging acceptance, but a lot of them are still suspicious.

What's equally odd is how willing Jack seems to be to protect her, and doesn't even seem to want answers to the questions that everyone else is asking. He tells Juliet that the reason he trusts her is because when the sub exploded he saw how badly she wanted to get off the island, which is interesting, considering how a lot of the people on the beach seem less focused on leaving the island. The doubts about Jack are being planted as well, and we wonder if he's worthy of the trust that he's lost.

And as we find out in the final flashback, they have every right to be. Juliet is working in concert with Ben yet again, though it's impossible to imagine why, less than 24 hours after she was supposed to leave the island, she would so willingly agree to fall back into line. This leads me to believe, again, that there's yet another way to get off the island, and somehow she might have been promised. It's a shocking twist, because up until now, we've kind of been on her side, and now we realize she's just as accomplished a liar as Ben is. (He'd be so proud--- if he didn't know that this was going to come back to bite him soon.)

We do learn some interesting things as an added bonus. For one thing, Mikhail was involved with the Other, and the satellites did work, and he knew about the plane and everyone on it--- it also explains how he seemed to know so much about Sayid, Kate and Locke when they came to the Flame station.. Equally important we learn that the man with the jet black eyebrows who recruited Juliet's full name is Richard Alpert. That was the name of a cohort of Timothy Leary, who studied the effects of mind-altering drugs on human beings and was a follower of eastern philosophy and... dharma. (Anyone else get a chill?) He clearly has Ben's trust because he seems to operate between the island and the mainland, but considering how reluctant Ben is to let anyone else leave, is it possible that Richard knows far more about this island than he is willing to reveal? And we also learn that Juliet was having an affair with Goodwin, the man we saw Ana Lucia kill in Season 2. We won't understand the full ramifications of that until later.

Despite everything Jack says, Juliet knows that she is alone. The reading of Jack's tattoo about walking among us, but not one of us could equally refer to Juliet, either with the Others or not. We still don't know what side she's chosen, but maybe she doesn't have one. Which makes her a real risk to both.
    My score:8.8
  • Trust?

Juliet en camino al campamento de los buenitos, para qué se pregunta uno... Si Jack confía en ella entonces está bien... peor todos sabemos que Jack es humano y un poco confianzudo entonces y además Ben y quién sabe quien más están atrás de todo esto por lo que seguramente pasará lo que finalmente pasó que es todo un plan para...
    Hasta acá llego esto es una locura lo del submarino y si ellos pueden curar el cáncer entonces por qué Ben tiene y la isla es tan especial que todavía no entiendo si tienen total control sobre ella no no?
    Eso sí... decime que sabían quienes viajaban en ese avión y los eligieron uno por uno...
  • Exciting!!! Juliet is awesome :) I love her !!

Jack,Kate,Sayid and Juliet return to the camp although the people are outraged to have one of the others staying with them. Claire comes down with a virus that was caused by Juliet and her studies on Claire because apparently no pregnant woman survives on the island which really makes me worry about Sun. Juliet tells Jack she knows how to save Claire but her plans are interrupted by Sayid and Sawyer. Juliet made a really good speech which made Sawyer and Sayid back off and she did save Claire. At the end of the episode we see her and Ben sitting on down planning everything which really surprised me because I thought Juliet was finally on Jack's side. Juliet has flashbacks of how she got to the island and her sister's cancer and the day when she saw her sister on camera live all cured and a mother . Nice episode. Very surprising ending but then again all Lost episode endings are surprising. Favorite character from this episode : Juliet !!! I felt really bad for her when she was begging Ben to go home. Good stuff !!
  • Overated.

Jack, Sayid, Kate, and Juliet return from the Others' camp and because of his insistence to trust Juliet, the rest of the survivors question the motives of Jack. A mysterious illness strikes Claire, activated by an implant from the Others inside her. Juliet cares for her. Flashbacks show Juliet's time on the island. Juliet is kept on the island against her will and unable to save women who get pregnant on the island from death. Flashbacks also show Juliet conspiring with Ben to be a mole in the survivors' camp. This episode of Lost was a good episode but it was a bit overated in my opinion.
  • Big stepping stone setting up the final 5 episodes.

While the "mini-season" started off uneven (or disastrous by myopic viewers), Juliet was consistently the most intriguing element of it. They even wisely started this successful leg of the season with her story, setting up how Mittelos recruited her to go "not quite [to] Portland". Now as the rescue phase of the season ends, it's fitting to turn to her again, which exposes a lot about who The Others are and what ramifications that'll have on the castaways.

Elizabeth Mitchell delivers another great performance (the Emmys are for losers) as Juliet, showcasing even more shades of her character than we saw in her first flashback. The first episode showed her from a mousy, insecure, yet brilliant scientist in Miami to a determined, collected, and still brilliant woman on the island. What this episode does is bridge the gap and explain how exactly Juliet became the woman she is.

Juliet had always wanted validation, but was continually placed under the thumb of people who can easily control her. This condition may still exist, at least with her relationship with Ben. Even free of her husband's control, she found herself buying into Mittelos' plans; this time their encouragement was the form of control.

The two people who influenced Juliet the most were Ben and her sister Rachel. Juliet wanted to be with her sister in her recovery, as it is presumed little time passed between Rachel telling Juliet of her pregnancy to Juliet going to Herarat Aviation (anagram: The Ovarian Tiara, if that means anything). Unfortunately, that conflicted with her "opportunity" with Mittelos, and resulted in a decision that has greatly affected her motivations as her time on the island has gone on. Juliet's decisions are motivated heavily to appease those who brought her to the island in hopes that they'll bring her home.

Thankfully, they didn't go the expected route and have Juliet and Ben be romantically involved, but rather had their history be related to Juliet's desire to leave the island and Ben's inability to let her. As the six month stay turned into three years, she has grown angry and resentful over Ben keeping her on the island forever. The revelation of Ben's tumor casts doubt over whether Rachel was ever healed, which Juliet seemed confident would happen with Ben's mentioning of Jacob.

Alpert's video documentation of a living Rachel playing with her son Julian shows considerable premeditation on apart of Ben to convince Juliet that he was genuine and his tumor isn't a sign of weakness of Jacob's. Considering the time frame between their fight with the x-rays to the crash, this only intensifies the power or its perception. Ben said in "Exposé" that one of his keys in manipulation is using something someone values for his own needs, and Rachel is that for Juliet.

Old scenes are spliced into the episode excellently, and are not just mere rehashes to fill time. The prologue from the premiere is reintroduced and is given a new context and added depth. While "This Must Be The Place (Naïve Melody)" by Talking Heads would've been a better fit for the show and her situation (this is something my nerd heart can't get over), Juliet listening to one of the few contacts she has with her sister, who she assumes after her confrontation with Ben has died and will never see again, is far more interesting than her jilted by an ex-lover.

Before Juliet's arrival on the island, more information is given as to Mittelos' functions. Juliet's assertion that none of her peers have heard of this group is fitting to the mystery of The Others. Mittelos likely shells out a lot of money to keep this operation quiet. Their presumed involvement with the bus crash killing Juliet's ex-husband showed the power The Others wield in the outside world, and their secrecy shows they are capable of much more.

It's reinforced shortly after the plane crash, when Ben contacts Mikhail for the next phase of their operation: gathering intel on all 324 people on the flight (although only a fraction survived). To get as thorough a job as The Others have on finding out everything about the castaways, they need more than a reliable search engine to do so. It's possible that they are in some way a competitor to The Hanso Foundation, the group responsible for Dharma.

This episode is the first one that gives some hint to what The Others' mission is. One major problem people have had, particularly those first six episodes, is that the only explanation for The Others' behavior is that they're antagonistic for the sake of antagonism. Now we see that part of their mission is to create life on the island, which seems to make the growing baby some kind of virulent agent, destroying the mother.

The island killing pregnant women is an interesting concept. There were hints in "Not In Portland", with the 26-year-old woman's deteriorated uterus. Does the island not want human life on it and will consciously destroy any woman who comes close? It could be added that The Monster is the muscle to take care of those already born. This explains a major mystery lingering from midway through the first season: why they wanted Claire. Claire gave birth without incident and the only problem that arose besides the implant was Aaron's bizarre rash in "Maternity Leave" (perhaps there is more to that).

One big factor is the conditions of Claire's pregnancy. Unlike Sabine and the other unnamed female Others, she conceived her baby off the island. This could explain why Alex and Rousseau didn't die because of the latter's pregnancy. This also brings up major questions about Ben's parentage, since we haven't seen either of his parents, and he claims to have been on the island his whole life.

It does explain why they would want Kate and Sawyer to have sex and all the contrived ways to get them together. The Others must've ran out of willing females to try to carry a baby to term, so why would they care if a woman on the other side, one not on "the list", died? The Others would be willing to place her in harm's way if it could provide an answer to the fertility problem.

Juliet's major motivation has been to get off the island to be with her sister again. Despite losing the submarine, she still has plenty of reason to believe that Ben has the capability to achieve that goal, whereas the castaways don't have any plan, spending more time hoping something or someone will come along to help them. However, Juliet has been mislead as to when she can leave the island before, which adds a tinge of uncertainty of which side she'll align with.

The con Ben orchestrates for Juliet is remarkable. Since the beginning of the season, Juliet has been coaxing Jack to side with her. With the primary leader of the castaways won over, she took to the only member of the rescue team who could possibly sympathize with her who wasn't going with The Others. Now on the main camp, she has to win over the hearts and minds of the main group, who are wary of having one of the enemy come over to their side. So, what would be better than as Ben puts it, for Juliet to solve a "big crisis" involving the new mother?

Implanting something in Claire to make her sick when she was abducted for a plan almost two and a half months later shows an astonishing amount of preplanning for The Others, even if the writers didn't think about that development way back in episode ten. It is a big step to swallow, but perhaps once we learn what Ben has in store a week from that final flashback, which should only be a few days ahead, it'll make sense.

The success of the con and what its end game will be could drastically alter Jack's status as leader of the group. Being gone for three weeks and Sawyer stepping up following Hurley's advice, in addition to Sawyer not being one to relinquish power easily, adds to that. There is a clear rift between Jack and the other leaders, like Sawyer and Sayid. Both men have enough reason to distrust anyone from The Others and they're likely to gain some followers.

One surprising thing is that no one calls Jack out for swaying his decision to protect Juliet based on his obvious feelings for her. Considering the heightened emphasis on romantic relationships between the lead characters, along with Sayid's ability to read characters and his desire to punish The Others, it seems remarkable no one would mention it while they were scrambling to save Claire.

While Juliet saving Claire appears to have given her some leeway with the rest of the group, some members staunchly opposed to The Others, like Sawyer and Sayid, are bonding under their mutual enemy. Since Juliet isn't going to win them over as quick as the rest, she shows she's willing to step up for herself and call out the two for their past crimes. What happened in Basra is a likely story for Sayid in the future (added to his war hero father), as it could be on par with Sawyer killing a man in "Outlaws".

Juliet's arrival and revelations could place the castaways in serious danger. However, the two who seem most likely targets are Sun and Charlie. Sun is in harm's way for being pregnant. In a twisted way, we're now inclined to want Jin not to be the father. Charlie's in peril because of Hurley's slip about what happened to Ethan. Juliet is smart enough to read between the lines, but what is she going to do with that information? If she is playing for The Others, the identity of their prized surgeon would make up for a lot of bad blood.

He may not be in danger, but Juliet's arrival on the beach introduces a new dynamic to Desmond's storyline. He wasn't on the flight and therefore Mikhail wouldn't have researched him. However, in "Exposé" The Others monitored The Swan when the castaways inhabited it, which could imply that they watched him long before the castaways blew open the hatch door. This offers a plethora of questions, like were they somehow orchestrating events to get them into that hatch, so they could monitor the castaways better and hatch a plan to get Jack, or even allow the button not to be pushed? The closest piece of evidence to that is Locke and Boone's discovery of the hatch occurred shortly after Ethan took Claire and almost killed Charlie.

The title of this episode recalls last seasons' "One of Them", where Ben was captured and brought to the Swan. Both moments were pivotal points in the seasonal arc. Ben's arrival to The Swan rejuvenated the second season, and provided many of its best moments. Juliet coming back to the beach protected by long missing leader Jack is going to produce a lot of sparks amongst the rest of the cast, as seen during the camp meeting the night she came in (something you'd think would happen more often).

This episode is an effective start of the final phase of the season, offering us a lot of answers while setting up a lot of mysteries for the final leg. While it may not have explained as much about The Others as some wanted, it explains enough to add context and explanation behind some of their actions.
  • We learn a lot more about Juliette's situation.

This episode began to answer some personal questions, but not some of the larger questions that we as viewers have...but I am okay with this. Even though they only focused upon the particular life of one person, it advanced our knowledge of the complete story. That alone makes this a good episode.

While watching this episode, I was becoming quite frustrated that so many people were trusting of Juliette. Personally, she would not have made it through the night.

I was also frustrated that Sayid and Sawyer were so quickly intimidated by Juliette. There is no doubt that they were right to be suspicious of her and I wish they would have stuck to their guns (figuratively and literally) when dealing with her.

Good story.
  • Lost conjurs up more surprises, and a few answers too. Contains spoilers.

After last week's transitional episode comes a conclusion to the "rescue Jack" arc, with a twist that truly sets the finale in motion. "One of Us" sees the A-team head on home, bar one member and plus another (other being the operative term in this situation). There is little emphasis on the trek back which is a good thing at this critical stage. Having an entire episode devoted to a journey would have been a bad move, and thankfully the producers took note of this and got the journey and introductions over with quickly.

An interesting point about this episode is that the story isn't split as it sometimes is. The common formula for a Lost episode is a main plotline, a flashback related to whoever the on-island plot focuses on, and a filler segment focusing on a group of others. This episode has the traditional flashback and main plot segments, but bypasses the "filler". Again a wise move on the part of production at this critical point in the series. This is only one of a handful of episodes this season to change the formula, and it works well. (Note that when I use "filler", I don't necesarily mean it has no rel Claire becoming ill. Alarm bells went off in my head as I imevance to the plot. Many episodes "filler" segment has had equal, if not more relevance to the central arc.)

Some wonderful dialogue got let-down by a couple of shaky lines. one I have to note is Juliet describing to Jack what their people had done to Sayid and Kate etc. It seemed very unusual, and was clearly added for the sake of newcomers or viewers who may have missed episodes. While I wish that the writers would cut these cheesy and out of place lines, I know that it won't happen anytime soon. I don't think it would aid anybody's understanding, too much has happened for latecomers to piece things together anyway. A nice effort each time but it does make me grit my teeth a little whenever it comes up. Hurley mentioning the docks was another little "reminder". Maybe not as out of place, but the lines weren't brilliant.

Critique aside, I felt this episode was wonderfully written. Certain phrases and expressions were very carefully chosen, and could even offer hints to overall answers. Oh and Ben's muttered comment to Mikhail "don't shoot us" was a gem. I actually laughed when he said this.

I think the flashback is where this episode derives it's strength, and is only the third episode of the season where I will say that the flashback was actually much more intriguing than the on-island story (the others being Expose and Not in Portland. Flashes doesn't count seeing as it was essentially all flashback anyway). We see how Juliet arrives at the island, or more precisely don't.

I found the scenes in the airport very informative. Here are a few choice things I picked up on during this segment. The most astounding is the Others' wealth and power off-island. They have the power, authority and cash to have their own top-secret airport (it was a top-secret Other owned facility, Juliet commented on never knowing it even existed). This means that the Others have connections off-island, and have some kind of funding or trade. I doubt the Others are manufacturing or dealing in anything, therefore I assume that they are being funded. The question is by who? We know they were opposed to Dharma (the purge), and Hanso was funding Dharma. Lost being Lost there must be connections to characters we already know. That means the culprits are most likely Widmore, Paik, or Cooper (he was a very wealthy man, and he is now on the island. He is not ruled out of the funding idea yet).

"Time flies" on the island. I picked up on this with the time dilation theories floating around. Could be foreshadowing, could not. The comments about Juliet "knowing" the island was special and that she would see things she wouldn't believe there. This makes me believe that there is still a core piece of island mythology we are not seeing. I think there will be a large mythological reveal at the end of the season. The final point is of course the tranquiliser. Why is it such an awkard ride? Desmond passed out en route, so clearly getting to the island via the ocean is more difficult than we assumed. I've learned that with this show, a mystery is only kept that way for suspense or for some big future payoff. Arrival at the island doesn't seem like suspense, I predict there is a big secret to the ultimate answer in the journey.

We see Ethan and Goodwin, the latter of who we also see in bed with Juliet (I have to say Elizabeth Mitchell looks fantastic in this scene). Interesting thought that they were romantically involved. Goodwin's death must've hit Juliet hard. We also eventually find out why Juliet was so torn up in the premiere. She wanted to go home, Ben wouldn't allow it. Why is he so distraught about letting people leave. In case they don't return? Or some other reason? Richard and Ethan left the island during recruitment of Juliet, so outside trips must happen. This scene was also interesting because Jacob is mentioned once more. Jacob himself said he would help Juliet's sister. The more I hear of Jacob, the more he is portrayed as god-like in my mind. And with this, I suspect more and more that he is not real (no this isn't any undercover atheist feelings coming to the surface, I'm not an atheist). Jacob seems like a fabrication created by Ben, who the others believe is leading them all. How are they so easily fooled? I'm guessing brainwashing. God loves you as he loved Jacob.

The final point worthy of mention is the conclusion. Firstly the scene where Mikhail uncovers the information on 815 (maybe he has a history as a spy, with hacking capabilities) finally answers the question of where the data comes from. This scene has been causing much discussion, mostly because people seem to assume he gathered the intelligence immediately. This is not the case, he had a lot of time in which to do it.

Secondly the twist at the end is another big issue. What do they have planned that requires another infiltration of the survivors camp? Previous infiltrations were for varying reasons, but perhaps the Others have finally come for the ones on "the list", who they have so far had great difficulty in bringing in. Needless to say it will lead to an interesting finale. One other point worthy of mention, Jack's behaviour. He was very out of character, very different and very suspiscious. After re-watching, I now feel there are things we don't know about his stay with the Others. All in all, good things are yet to come.
  • Overall, this episode was one of the best of the season, delivering some answers to long-standing questions and setting the stage for a massive season finale.

As anticipated, this episode is full of revelations and confirmations, something that typically marks the beginning of the resolution phase of a season arc. The introductory phase of the season ended with a Juliet flashback, Jack’s migration to the main island with the Others, and the return of Kate and Sawyer. This transition is a nice callback to that earlier moment in the season, as more information is revealed about Juliet and her motivations.

Some consider Juliet to be a “Mary Sue” character, but that is not entirely accurate. Instead, Juliet serves a very specific purpose. The audience gets to see the inner workings of the Others, from recruitment to “present day”, from the perspective of someone who has gone through that ordeal. It’s an example of “show, don’t tell”, and it works tremendously well. Juliet’s particular mindset is a product of being in a kind of survival mode; to get out of the trap, she must become the very thing she hates the most.

Juliet’s flashbacks are essentially her reflections, the path that has led her to yet another bargain with the devil in the hopes of escape. She must realize, on some level, that Ben is contriving to keep her on the island forever, especially given the reproductive problems among the Others. Having been ostracized by the Others themselves, she must have concluded that the JackLocke tribe doesn’t have the information necessary to escape the island. Juliet’s only option, to achieve her goal, is further cooperation with Ben.

That doesn’t preclude the possibility that Juliet is playing both sides in the hopes of finding a way out on her own. As she says to Jack, she’s always been on her own. It’s more a question of enlightened self-interest. Juliet all but told Jack that she was chosen as his handler because of her general resemblance to his former wife. She explained that it was a psychological tactic to undermine his defenses and gain his trust on a subconscious level. That being the case, it’s not at all surprising for her to continue using that methodology to her own ends.

This does not make Juliet evil, but rather, a complex character with complex motivations. She’s no longer one of the Others, and cannot be one of the JackLocke tribe, not if she wants to succeed in her goal to leave the island. As such, her motivations cannot align with one side or the other. Expecting her to adhere to a concept of allegiance is an oversimplification of the dynamic on the island. (And it is something that pertains, quite directly, to Desmond as well.)

In exploring the evolution of her choices, Juliet reveals some interesting information, especially taken in context with her explanation for Claire’s illness. As usual, it’s hard to know what is truth and what is fabrication, but the lines are relatively easy to draw in this case. Juliet may have been foolish to take the plunge into the world of the Others, but there was a great deal of deception involved. Clearly, whoever the Others are, they have powerful friends (led, perhaps, by the mysterious “Jacob”, who could have taken control of former Dharma assets).

As long suspected by many fans, the interest in Claire and the children is tied to a peculiar by-product of the island itself: the inability to reproduce. The description of the problem suggests that the fetus is treated as a parasite by whatever agency (biological, electromagnetic, etc.) that prevents and heals biological damage. Any attempt to reproduce results in the death of the child, and quite often, the mother.

The days leading up to Oceanic 815 are quite revealing. For one, it appears that one suspicion is now debunked: the passengers of the flight were not chosen over a long period of time, despite evidence to the contrary. It is possible, however, that Ben saw an opportunity and had the resources (through “Jacob”, most likely) to ensure that the crash took place. Rather than happening over the course of weeks or months, it would simply have happened over the course of 24 hours, after Ben discovered he had cancer.

Ben might have seen two opportunities. First, to bring a spinal surgeon to the island to save his life, since the medical personnel on the island were devoted largely to reproductive research. Second, to bring a woman already pregnant to the island to give Juliet something she didn’t have: a fresh direction for her research. This would serve to save his life and keep Juliet in line.

This line of speculation has the benefit of fitting Ben’s dialogue rather well. It also explains why Oceanic 815 was so far off course and seemed to break apart in just the right way to allow passengers to survive. It also fits into the suspicion that Kelvin was assigned to manipulate Desmond into letting the countdown lapse at just the right time to bring down the plane. Just in terms of what has been said by the writers and producers, this explains why Aaron and Claire are, as they say, key to the mythology of the series.

If this speculation holds water, then Ethan and Goodwin would have been chosen by Ben to ensure that someone with medical experience was on hand to find Claire and determine if Jack had survived. Children would have been rounded up, and Claire would have been experimented upon to determine whether or not the island’s effects were beginning to show. The writers tie these experiments into the events of “Raised by Another” and place the revelations of “Maternity Leave” in context.

This opens the door to other questions, of course. Was the serum in the vials (seen in “Man of Science, Man of Faith” and “Maternity Leave”) always a placebo, or does it actually serve a purpose? How much did Ethan actually do to Claire? It’s a reasonable assumption that Juliet was lying when she said Ethan kidnapped Claire on his own, but were the Others going to kill Claire, as seemed to be the case in “Maternity Leave”? Or were they anticipating that she would die like so many potential mothers before her?

Whatever the case, Ben has designs on the JackLocke tribe, and it’s doubtful that it will go well for the survivors of Oceanic 815. Jack has already served his purpose, Juliet may or may not have a solid deal in place, and beyond Aaron, the rest were considered to be extraneous. It’s possible that they would take Sun if she were discovered to have conceived after coming to the island (this is now a very important question), but the rest can be taken out without remorse, from the Others’ point of view.

Beyond Juliet’s scheme and her manipulation of Jack and the rest of the tribe, there are some important character moments. Sawyer and Sayid finally get to work together again, and it is a joy to behold. Sawyer was very comfortable in the new leadership role, and it should be interesting to see if he’s willing to exert authority now that Jack has returned. In fact, Sawyer and Sayid would be the least likely allies when it comes to approaching Jack with concerns, which would throw weight behind those concerns. Needless to say, Juliet’s goal would be to undercut those efforts.

With Claire out of commission for much of the episode, Charlie takes a lot of responsibility without getting much resistance. This implies that Claire has followed through on her reevaluation of Charlie after “Par Avion”, and that the rest of the tribe has respected that decision. With the situation gathering towards something deadly, and Aaron being a likely target when the Others come calling, the stage is set for a heroic sacrifice.

This episode begins the process of pulling the pieces together, something that has been requested for a very long time. A number of questions are answered in this episode, and as things currently stand, more should be forthcoming as the season draws to a close. Just in terms of how well the story comes together, both internally and within the framework of the series as a whole, this is a solid effort and easily one of the best of the season.
  • Juliet coming into focus

It is nice that the writers are finally putting some depth into her character, although I must admit I knew she was sent there, it was obvious when she was hand cuffed to Kate. But none the less, we are starting to see whom Juliet is. There are many questions now about why she would be so faithful even after what she's seen and what she really wants. As for leaving the island? Was Jack really going to be free once they made it 'home'. The beauty of this show is in that the other's are far ahead of the curve and seem to be leading the survivors on a crooked path somewhere.
  • I found this more revealing about "the others" than the 1st 6 episodes when Jack, Sawyer, and Kate were trapped with them.

Lost is getting back on track and hitting its stride. These are the types of episodes I've come to expect from them and they didn't disapoint. Now that Juliet is with them things should get interesting. I liked her flashback because we see she wants to get off the island and I'm guessing is willing to do anything at this point to achieve that goal. I didn't buy her explaination about Ethan "improvising" when Claire was kidnapped. Did anyone else find it strange that Claire went sick just as Juliet was showing up and she could cure them. I actually picked up on that before they showed the flashback. Still, I'm with Syed, I want to find out what else she knows. I also loved Hurley's subtley. He just casually explains what happened to Ethan and where he's buried. Still, I can't figure out why the Others act the way they do especially considering the people are there by accident. But is seems to have something to do with women being able to have babies on the island. Why? Still don't know. And the mystery contines as the answers pour in. Just the way we like it.
  • Juliet joins Kate, Sayid, and Jack as they return to the beach. Claire is stricken with an illness that Juliet is connected to.

All i gotta say is wow I mean what a fantastic episode. I wouldn't say its amazing or the best episode kinda deal which is why I gave it a 9 instead of a 10. Definitely continues a trend of pretty strong season 3 episodes recently. Basically Sayid doesn't trust Juliet and with good reason however Jack does trust her and does what he feels is right by having Sayid not interrogate her. Some nice emotional scenes as Jack returns to the beach for the first time early on in last year's Season Finale. I could sorta see Sawyer's heartbreak as he saw Jack since he probably felt like he had just come into his own as being the one in charge of the camp and starting to get on people's good side and that it would be all over and certainly change now that Jack is back. Claire also stars to come down with an illness. We later learn these things are connected as Juliet confesses the story behind what happened to Claire. Also revealing some interesting things like pregnant women on the island never surviving always dying , we even get some flashbacks showing their failures to correct this problem , and how the kidnapping of Claire was not how things were supposed to go. Apparently they were monitoring her through blood samples and when Ethan's real identity was found out he panicked and created his own plan on his own. Juliet seeks out Ethan's old hiding spot near the caves containing medicine that can help save Claire however Sayid and Sawyer confront her and further push home they don't trust her. Then in the moment that really slides into your mind that she really is one of them now and gets them down off their high horses she tells of Sawyer for commiting murder and Sayid for the horrible things he has done to many human beings. Although in my humble opinion he was a soldier doing his job and interrogating ppl who were suspected of doing bad things i mean she spoke to him as if it were one and the same with Sawyer killing a man in cold blood. But that's another rant for another day. Some really amazing flashbacks in this episode to as you get too see how Juliet arrives on the island, how her sister turns out to be ok and has a healthy son, you also get another look at Mikhail and just how useful that satellite was before the hatch imploded. In the end though the theory a lot of people had going around in their heads proved to be true after all that it was all a set up for them to trust Juliet and believe she was left behind too and so that she could infiltrate their camp and keep an eye on them. A really great ending as it all through another nicely done flashback slowly come undone and it definitely seems like we are headed for a showdown between the 815ers and the Others. A very enjoyable episode and I can't wait till next Wednesday as business has just picked up.
  • Exactly What You Can Expect From JulieT Centric Episode!!!

Objective - » The writes had material from the previous episode to explore, and this one was easy this time to structure. Now Juliet is one of the Main Cast Characters, so she has to be accepted by the Jack tribe, but not everything is easy. So the main focus are her situation in the Island and her flashbacks.

Flashbacks -» Last Juliet flashback was only a setup, I wanted to know more, about her Island time. This was the case this time, the introduction phase was slow, but necessary to understand some hints, it seems that the Others have some kind of enemy, since they are very rigid about security, who is this enemy is something to be revealed soon, until the end of this season or the beginning of the fourth season.

In Her complication phase we have another explanation in form of reflection. It is very easy to understand why she hate Ben, since he lied to her or he didn´t, than We have some hints too, about Jacob healing power, but it seems that in the Island, this Jacob (It is the fourth time that I hear this name in this season) don´t have the power to resolve the fertility problems in the Island. This may mean that Jacob wanted the List, because maybe he was the person who choose Jack and Co to be on this Island, for what purpose is still unknown.

Also during this Phase we had another information/Revelation about Juliet and her lover, and some hint to how Ben was surprise, this may indicate that he didn´t expected this to happen, maybe the Island or Jacob did something to happen, as punishment, another mystery to be solved. The Climax Phase when Ben show that he didn´t lied was interesting and dramatic for Juliet, but gave also the confirmation that Ben didn´t Know Nothing about Flight 815, or at least, he didn´t plan their Crash. The ending, well, simple 24 way of doing it – surprising.

Event in The Island -» The introduction Phase already happened in the Last episode, but this time it begins with a suspicious Sayid that want to Know everything. This Set the Complication Phase with the fact that Claire is ill, which is strange, because of the timing. Juliet is not welcome and there are some people that are not happy and want to do something about it. This type of plot is attractive, take the nice discussion that the tribe have with Jack regarding her.

Claire Sudden illness is only there to make Juliet the hero of the Tribe, and then this provide her to be accepted. But this deliver another information that was a secret until now and finally we know what is happening with the pregnant woman, but not why is happening, the usual drill in Lost. However, why Nathan Abducted Claire is Explained. The Climax of the Situation was very Tense when both Sawyer and Sayid decided to do something about her. How she deal with them, was very interesting and funny because of their expression. The ending was temporary calm for now.

Overall:

1 - Plot Holes: Bronze. Claire Illness does not make any sense. Ben is another Michael Scofield (PB) without the tattoo in his Skin, but is amazing how he plan in advance everything. Make someone sick like a time bomber is little Sci-Fi and out of reality. Just served to create the Climax and the ending, also the revelation too.

2 - Time and Scenes Management: Gold. Very well done. The probability to you to notice the scenes that are there to buy time is really small.

3 - Surprises/Twist/Shocks/Cliffhangers: The ending provide that. Also when you know who Juliet Lover was. 4 - Action: Wasn´t Necessary

5 - Funny: None.

6 - Drama: .Silver. Some Flashbacks Scenes.

7 - Tension/Fear: Gold. Juliet Vs Sawyer and Sayid was the best tension moment.

8 - Excitement Level (curiosity/Mystery/Doubt/Revelations: Since is centered in Juliet and the fact that she has to be accepted by Jack´s Tribe is interesting, and you also expect that you will have fine revelations. There are hints that maintain you curiosity and the ending also provide some doubt or not.

This episode is important, since everyone want to know more about Juliet, with that, some information about the Other could come to the surface and this is exactly what happens. I rate it 9,2.
< 1 2 3 4 5