Lost

One of Us

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Apr 11, 2007 on ABC

• Predictable Plot.Predictable Characters

I am sure most Lost viewers knew that Sayid's threat to Juliet was an empty threat. Just seeing the promo made me realize that Juliet would be alive and kicking by the end of this sadly predictable story. I realize now that the writers had to kill off Ana-Lucia and Mr. Eko so that no really strong, independent character could actually challenge Jack's return as Island Leader. Sayid has been a paper tiger for a while now and Sawyer being out smarted by Hugo while amusing was also out of character from the Sawyer from seasons 1 and 2. The Lost writers seem to think human behavior is so predictable that noone would question the timing of Claire's illness to Julit's arrival. The writers thought that Sayid and Sawyer would not anticipate Juliet's knowledge of their past to manipulate them when they issued more empty threats. I see the next episode promo seems to show more action in it. Hopefully, the next episode won't be as predictable and we'll finally see someone so fed up with being manipulated that that person will lash out at the right target for a change.
  • We get an answer, or two, three tops... but we get tons of new questions, AGAIN!

I'm sorry, but I tired of this!

Okay, the four last episodes gave the audience some answer and I thought, okay, maybe I'll start liking Lost again. But come on! Every time they give us an answer, at the end of the episode we're again with tons of new questions.

WHY does Juliet double-cross Jack after all the things The Others have done to her? They would have executed her for crying out loud!

Have the producers already sheduled an end for Lost? Will there be another season or not? Because I want to know how long I need to suffer and whine and be angry because we know approximately nothing more of what is going on there.

ANSWERS PEOPLE! ANSWERS!
  • Revealing, but lacking in other aspects...

So this was a good episode for all those people that keep shouting "we want answers! We want answers!" And don't get me wrong, I was delighted to find out some of those answers.
    But there was just no excitement whatsoever. I would say it was the dullest episode of the series so far.
    I would even go so far as to say that the episode was a bit of a let down in some respects. It showed us that Jack is just a dullard, far too easily played. That Sayid and Sawyer were bad-asses before they got on the island, but now they can't even back chat blondie.
    And the writers having to tell people that Juliet was a mole? It was obvious enough, without them having to spell it out in plain Engish!
    I think this episode was just to appease all those moaner fans out there.
    Let's get back to the action next week, please!
  • Naked Ice cream lady saved preggers as hobby

Good flashback, we learn quite a lot in this episode but it still retains a lot of information, which is good. Juliet seems like an interesting new character and this episode in comparison with her last centric episode is a lot better.

Both the real-time and flashbacks work off each other quite well and work off previous episodes and seasons so it feels more episodic rather than brief previous happenings.

The use of reflective music and slow montages of people returning to the island becomes slightly repetitive after a while, this particular scene was more than reminiscent of rehashed ones from previous seasons and episodes.

The twist at the end isn’t particularly mind blowing, you may suspect it long before it happens and if like me, you didn’t, it still doesn’t particularly wow you.

Overall, good solid episode, well it never rises to greatness non the less enjoyable, a reminder why you watch lost, as well as that lost hasn’t become lost, keep watching.

I will give it a 8.1, I don’t think it is deserving of its current 9.6 rating, good, but hardly a classic, let’s not get ahead of ourselves here.
  • Overated.

Jack, Sayid, Kate, and Juliet return from the Others' camp and because of his insistence to trust Juliet, the rest of the survivors question the motives of Jack. A mysterious illness strikes Claire, activated by an implant from the Others inside her. Juliet cares for her. Flashbacks show Juliet's time on the island. Juliet is kept on the island against her will and unable to save women who get pregnant on the island from death. Flashbacks also show Juliet conspiring with Ben to be a mole in the survivors' camp. This episode of Lost was a good episode but it was a bit overated in my opinion.
  • Review

Other then the random twists and turns near the end of the episode that prooves that Juliet is not "One of us" and is in fact "One of them", this episode was a really strong filler episode. The scenes with Sayid and Sawyer didn't really tell us much of anything new - the others pretty much have shown there ability to know things beyond the scoop of what they can learn of the survivors on the island. The beginning fourth of the episode with Juliets starting flashbacks and walking back to the beach was a very strong filler part of the episode. The only real strongpoints of the episode came near the end, when we learn that everything in this episode (Claires sickness) was all a bluff to get Juliet inside with everyone when she was able to cure the sickness that Claire was feeling. Juiets second part of her flashbacks when she was on the island was much better then the first half. Her on screen connection with Ben is good and the fact that her sister is alive certainly shows the healing powers of the island, barring that those were in fact her sisters x-rays the first time around and not just a plan by Ben to give her something to stay on the island. The fact that Juliet was involved with Goodwin didn't say much, it actually made me wonder why she was so shook up over Ethans death every time it was mentioned in the episode. Overall it was basically a very strong filler episode, but not one of the shows (or seasons for the matter best.
  • Finally some answers that make sense...or do they?

I must admit, the writing is getting better, and this episode was a good one! We got some history that was really helpful, and we got some answers that made sense. Only some of them were half truths. Jack was fooled, and admittedly so was I, this time. One thing is for certain, this show makes me want to come back week after week. The others sure are some devious buggers, I just don't get why they are so secretive and weird. I also never get tired of seeing the plane come apart at different angles. Also, is it too much to ask for some more of John's story? What happened with his dad?
  • Also Very good...

I don't really have anything good or anything bad to say about this episode. I didn't like how Juliet had the key to the handcuffs all along and how she pretended to not know about the smoke monster all along. I think it just shows the viewers not to trust her because she uses things to her advantage. Its really hard to read her and figure out what she is about-if she is a good guy or a bad guy. It was really nice to see Jack at the end of the episode. He is one of my favorite characters, but it seems like he won't be the same old Jack now that Juliet is going back to the main camp with them. I am glad that Sayid was there too. He is really starting to grow on me. And of course, there goes Locke being all mysterious again not telling Kate where he was going. I did like Kate's flashbacks and how she and Cassidy got together to see Kate's mom. I did find it ironic though that the man Cassidy got involved with (Sawyer)is not the man Kate is involved with. I wonder how that would pan out if they were back in the real world, considering Cassidy and Kate really got along well and had good rapport with each other. I am really looking forward to the next episode.
  • Lost conjurs up more surprises, and a few answers too. Contains spoilers.

After last week's transitional episode comes a conclusion to the "rescue Jack" arc, with a twist that truly sets the finale in motion. "One of Us" sees the A-team head on home, bar one member and plus another (other being the operative term in this situation). There is little emphasis on the trek back which is a good thing at this critical stage. Having an entire episode devoted to a journey would have been a bad move, and thankfully the producers took note of this and got the journey and introductions over with quickly.

An interesting point about this episode is that the story isn't split as it sometimes is. The common formula for a Lost episode is a main plotline, a flashback related to whoever the on-island plot focuses on, and a filler segment focusing on a group of others. This episode has the traditional flashback and main plot segments, but bypasses the "filler". Again a wise move on the part of production at this critical point in the series. This is only one of a handful of episodes this season to change the formula, and it works well. (Note that when I use "filler", I don't necesarily mean it has no rel Claire becoming ill. Alarm bells went off in my head as I imevance to the plot. Many episodes "filler" segment has had equal, if not more relevance to the central arc.)

Some wonderful dialogue got let-down by a couple of shaky lines. one I have to note is Juliet describing to Jack what their people had done to Sayid and Kate etc. It seemed very unusual, and was clearly added for the sake of newcomers or viewers who may have missed episodes. While I wish that the writers would cut these cheesy and out of place lines, I know that it won't happen anytime soon. I don't think it would aid anybody's understanding, too much has happened for latecomers to piece things together anyway. A nice effort each time but it does make me grit my teeth a little whenever it comes up. Hurley mentioning the docks was another little "reminder". Maybe not as out of place, but the lines weren't brilliant.

Critique aside, I felt this episode was wonderfully written. Certain phrases and expressions were very carefully chosen, and could even offer hints to overall answers. Oh and Ben's muttered comment to Mikhail "don't shoot us" was a gem. I actually laughed when he said this.

I think the flashback is where this episode derives it's strength, and is only the third episode of the season where I will say that the flashback was actually much more intriguing than the on-island story (the others being Expose and Not in Portland. Flashes doesn't count seeing as it was essentially all flashback anyway). We see how Juliet arrives at the island, or more precisely don't.

I found the scenes in the airport very informative. Here are a few choice things I picked up on during this segment. The most astounding is the Others' wealth and power off-island. They have the power, authority and cash to have their own top-secret airport (it was a top-secret Other owned facility, Juliet commented on never knowing it even existed). This means that the Others have connections off-island, and have some kind of funding or trade. I doubt the Others are manufacturing or dealing in anything, therefore I assume that they are being funded. The question is by who? We know they were opposed to Dharma (the purge), and Hanso was funding Dharma. Lost being Lost there must be connections to characters we already know. That means the culprits are most likely Widmore, Paik, or Cooper (he was a very wealthy man, and he is now on the island. He is not ruled out of the funding idea yet).

"Time flies" on the island. I picked up on this with the time dilation theories floating around. Could be foreshadowing, could not. The comments about Juliet "knowing" the island was special and that she would see things she wouldn't believe there. This makes me believe that there is still a core piece of island mythology we are not seeing. I think there will be a large mythological reveal at the end of the season. The final point is of course the tranquiliser. Why is it such an awkard ride? Desmond passed out en route, so clearly getting to the island via the ocean is more difficult than we assumed. I've learned that with this show, a mystery is only kept that way for suspense or for some big future payoff. Arrival at the island doesn't seem like suspense, I predict there is a big secret to the ultimate answer in the journey.

We see Ethan and Goodwin, the latter of who we also see in bed with Juliet (I have to say Elizabeth Mitchell looks fantastic in this scene). Interesting thought that they were romantically involved. Goodwin's death must've hit Juliet hard. We also eventually find out why Juliet was so torn up in the premiere. She wanted to go home, Ben wouldn't allow it. Why is he so distraught about letting people leave. In case they don't return? Or some other reason? Richard and Ethan left the island during recruitment of Juliet, so outside trips must happen. This scene was also interesting because Jacob is mentioned once more. Jacob himself said he would help Juliet's sister. The more I hear of Jacob, the more he is portrayed as god-like in my mind. And with this, I suspect more and more that he is not real (no this isn't any undercover atheist feelings coming to the surface, I'm not an atheist). Jacob seems like a fabrication created by Ben, who the others believe is leading them all. How are they so easily fooled? I'm guessing brainwashing. God loves you as he loved Jacob.

The final point worthy of mention is the conclusion. Firstly the scene where Mikhail uncovers the information on 815 (maybe he has a history as a spy, with hacking capabilities) finally answers the question of where the data comes from. This scene has been causing much discussion, mostly because people seem to assume he gathered the intelligence immediately. This is not the case, he had a lot of time in which to do it.

Secondly the twist at the end is another big issue. What do they have planned that requires another infiltration of the survivors camp? Previous infiltrations were for varying reasons, but perhaps the Others have finally come for the ones on "the list", who they have so far had great difficulty in bringing in. Needless to say it will lead to an interesting finale. One other point worthy of mention, Jack's behaviour. He was very out of character, very different and very suspiscious. After re-watching, I now feel there are things we don't know about his stay with the Others. All in all, good things are yet to come.
  • Juliet's back story of her life on the island, right up til the very last moments or surprise and intrigue!

Way awesome episode of how Juliet took a chance on Mittelos and ended up on the island. I have to say, I am definitely still on the fence about her. In the last moments of the episode it showed that her reason for being with the Losties is actually due to an infiltration tactic by Ben and the Others, also why Claire got so violently ill and Juliet was able to save her. After watching Juliet beg Ben multiple times to let her go home, I feel as though Juliet is in fact more on the Losties side, or at least she is playing the field until she knows what her best chance of getting home is. Jack was right - if that look in her eyes in the moment the sub exploded was that heartbroken she has to be somewhat genuine. At first I was reluctant about Juliet... but after these last two episdoes she is certainly growing on me.
  • This was a good one...

This episode was very revealing about Juliet. It showed what her life was like when she was becoming an Other. It was very interseting and you found out alot about her which was good. i still think Ethan is sooooo creepyy. he just looks so scary. i liked this episode because you found out really why they took Claire. it was very good. the ending to me was especially creepy. i knew juliet wasnt left behind. when Juliet and Ben were talking about what she had to do was crazyyy. its sad that the Others had to get Claire sick so the surviors would like Juliet. This was very good and i hope next week gets better.
  • We finally get to see if Juliet can be trusted.

This episode is just one of a great string of episodes the past couple weeks and it revealed so mch about Juliet and what her motives are on the island. I really think when I look back at season 3 of lost it will be considered of the best ones in my book and when ABC said it ws the begining of the end of the season, you really get the vibe that the story is about climax with the final seconds of the episode and the screen goes black to only see LOST, because I havent gotten more excited after seeing a cliffhanger episode since Walt shot Ana Lucia and Libby.
  • This episode was awesome!!!

Juliet has flashbacks to how she came to the island and what she did. Pregnant women always die there and they don't know why. Also, we see Rachel, Juliet's sister, and her son, Julian. A more recent flashback shows the plan that she and Ben have set up.

Jack, Kate, Sayid and Juliet have come to camp. Many are reluctant to accept Juliet. Sayid and Sawyer especially don't trust her. Claire gets sick and Juliet says she knows what happened to her. She helps out by getting medical supplies that Ethan had hid and healing Claire. Jack trusts Juliet and he is the only one. Juliet sets up camp with her plan in mind.

This episode was great! Seeing all the old Others like Goodwin and Ethan. Even though we've seen them before in season 3, it just seemed special in this episode. I really feel sorry for Juliet, but her plan made me think twice about her. This episode gets a perfect 10 out of 10 from me!
  • Juliet is awesome... !!!

I loved this episode. Amazing. I do admit that I am shocked that Juliet is actually betraying the whole group, but I am not taking points off the score for that, because that would be un-reasonable. I am a shipper of Jack and Juliet now, even though there's a very slim chance they will get together=)

The episode I thought was awesome in all entirety. I loved the flashbacks, I feel so sorry for Juliet and happy at the same time. I feel so sorry that she can't go back to her sister after over three years, Ben has such a control over everyone it scares me. Stupid Ben, he's such a freak.

I loved when Juliet talked to Sayid and Sawyer, she had such a control over them, she surely has changed over the years she was with the Others. Sure scary... I wonder what is going to go down, AND what will happen when Juliet figures out Sun is pregnant. Suspense.
  • i loved it

this ep was great. it told alot of stuff. i liked that it let you know what happened to Juliet's sister. i loved the hug between Kate and Sawyer. the ending didn't surprise me. i felt that coming. Juliet has made Sawyer and Sayid even more mad then they already are. i think it is cute that if Sawyer is starting something Kate calls him James. Jack is making himself an outsider. Sawyer has a point about him defending her and not them. i could tell that Charlie is having seconds thoughts about Jack. Sawyer alresdy doesn't like him.Kate is majorly jelous. he is putting himself in a bad spot.
  • WOW!

This makes my favorite's list. What a terrific episode! We finally got long awaited answers, and not just one, but many. We also learned a bit more bout the others, got a Jacob mention, and got a lot more to think about in reguards to the island. With the answers, of course, comes more questions. But thats to be expected with Lost. The thing is, that Lost is just getting better and better. We have had phenominal episode after phenominal episode recently. And last night's episode was one of the series' best episodes. I cannot wait for next week now.
  • You little snake...

7.1
    I was never sure of Juliet's loyalty, but it still came as a little surprise. This episode felt like a filler, but a necessairy one. Now we've found out Juliet's true intentions (although we know nothing more than her tries to earn the trust of the planecrash survivors), and with the information there's something going to happen in one week according to Ben, this is gonna be great. Other than the big reveal at the end, there's more to enjoy. Juliet's past, but mostly her first few years on the island are very nice insights. Also great to see the C-4 gardening shed again, including Mikhail. The first scene between Hurley and Juliet is also something to be mentioned. Hopefully the show picks it from here, without boring stuff like episodes like "Exposé" thrown at us just to complete the season.
  • Really good episode.

"One of Us" is a Juliet-centric episode that focuses on her journey to the island, her life on the island and her reasons for coming to the island. It also brings us to Jack, Kate, Sayid and Juliet coming back to the island and getting a warm welcome. Well, at least for 3 of them. The people on the island don't approve much of Juliet because of what she has done.

In Juliet's flashback, we find out that she comes to the island for her sister. We also find out that she has stayed on the island a lot longer than she should have. I found the flashback very informative on a lot of things. Like the others, what they are really doing on the island, and of course, the ending was a little obvious.

On the island though, Juliet decides to gain everyone's trust by curing Claire. Although when we witness the ending, we find out that what she did wasn't so heroic after all. Their journey on the island was OK. I didn't really like it so much. The flashback was clearly the highlight of the episode.
  • I'm really glad that my constant reassuring of people that the writers know what they are doing is paying off.

As if she didn't enthrall me enough last week, this week Elizabeth Mitchell blew me away with her portrayal of Juliet. Considering Lost's rate of bringing on new characters and then killing them (Ana-Lucia, Eko, Libby, Nikki, Paulo), I'm hoping she sticks around for a long time. Her flashbacks this week were definitely more twisty than her previous episode, and her interactions with Ben were fantastic. They are arguably the two best actors on the show, other than maybe Terry O'Quinn (Locke), and watching their scenes on the beach, then in Ben's house, then with Mikhail was so enjoyable.

I'm also really glad that my constant reassuring of people that the writers know what they are doing is paying off. I don't think anybody at this point can say that they didn't know, even as far back as season 1, that they didn't have a clear idea of where this series was headed. So what do we know now about the Others' mission? Are they actually there to use the power of the island to cure disease? That would go along with their "we're the good guys" mantra. But it wouldn't explain the kidnappings and murders. I've never seen Canadian pharmaceutical companies plucking children off the street for testing. But while I am always glad when things are more complicated than they seem (such as the case with Juliet being a mole), it kinda annoys me that it pretty much negates most of the answers we got in this episode (minus the facts from the flashbacks). So, are they really trying to save pregnant women or not? Do they really all die in childbirth? Why would they put an implant in Clare months ago and only activate it now? They had no idea what would happen since then.

Next week will be awesome...Desmond once again takes center stage, and he hasn't let me down yet...

Line of the week (not in terms of humor, but in terms of spookiness):
    Ben: See you in a week.
  • Good episode. Moved the story along, but not enough surprising moments to put it among the best. Still, some necesary and interesting plot movements.

The story progressed well, and was constructed in a solid way, but I find the best episodes of Lost have either very surprising moments or powerful character developments, or both. This had neither and was more by the numbers. The fertility issue had been hinted at in a dozen different ways previously. Nice to have it confirmed, but hardly a surprise.

I expected more character revelations about Juliet in the flashbacks, but rather saw ones that made sense, but weren't all that revealing. Given how Juliet was presented as timid before she arrived on the island, and that the Juliet we've seen so far this season has not only been strong, but calculating like Ben, I expected to see more to explain how she evolved to that point and adapted those skills. Perhaps we will in the future, but there were no surprises with her character development, and there was a lacking of explanation of EXACTLY how she changed (learned to fight, learned to manipulate).

I did like how she disarmed Sayid and Sawyer by referencing their past misdeeds. The series started with the premise of everyone being strangers and getting some sort of fresh start, which has certainly been a critical theme, but Juliet weakened two characters by removing their ability to do that--by pulling them back into who they were before. I also liked the potential foreshadowing of Jack losing his role as leader (evidenced by his insisting to the camp that his word should be enough for them to trust him about Juliet and their reluctance; and by his asking Charlie if he trusted him, and Charlie's long pause). Perhaps when Juliet's betrayal is revealed, Jack will lose his standing, which will be a very new role for him...and with Locke gone, the transition has been set up for Sawyer to shift into that role (as suggested last week).

A couple details that were interesting: the Others did not arrange for the survivors to be on the plane (since Ben instructed Mikael to find out about them); Juliet was "with" Goodwin; still, such details were hardly shocking. I do compliment how the writers (et al) were able to still surprise me with the ending. Going into the episode, Juliet being a "spy" was a very obvious possibility, but they did a good enough job during the episode (and last week) of convincing me otherwise, so it was still somewhat of a surprise when it was revealed.

It was a necessary episode from a story construct, since it moved everything back to the camp, and set up the final story arc for the remaining episodes. I am very much looking forward to next week's Desmond episode, as his two have so far been among the absolute best of the series. This was a good episode, just somewhat obvious.
  • One of the most obvious and unshocking plot twist ever, but it opens up another interesting direction for the show to go in...

This episode had a lot of hype and amounted to little. It was still very interesting, but I found the storyline incredibly predictable, the pregnant women disease, Juliet being a traitor...everything. The episode left us wondering "What will she do?", "Who is Jacob?", "What is Ben's problem?" and other various questions. I found the last Juliet-centric episode boring and I found this one boring too. I find Juliet to be an interesting on-island character, but her back-story is not required. Ben says he'll see Juliet in a week, 7 days, 7 episodes. If my math is correct, that's the finale, so something tells me Juliet is going to do something HUGE or die. I'm looking forward to this finale more than the previous two.
  • ‘Every pregnant woman on the island had died’ (exact quote from Juliet) until Claire delivered her baby and survived. This one sentence is the most important revelation as of yet for the show!

The episode starts out with Sayid, Jack, Kate and Juliet trekking across the island with the hopes of returning ‘home’ within a day or two. As Kate and Jack are gathering firewood, Sayid begins to interrogate Juliet. However, once Jack returns, Jack tells Sayid that Juliet is ‘under his protection.’ And a major plot development is revealed during a casual talk between Jack and Juliet as they are walking towards the ‘base camp’ the following day – turns out Juliet (and Ben) planned the ‘waking-up-handcuffed-to-Kate’ elaborate idea. Jack and Sayid continue, throughout the episode, to argue over when Sayid can approach Juliet to ask questions and possibly find answers. Jack insists that ‘given time,’ Juliet will reveal what she knows about ‘the Others.’

The flashbacks in this episode are centered on Juliet; mainly, on how she arrived on the island. Sure enough, it was via submarine. Juliet is also made aware by Benjamin Linus(Ben) of the fact that her sister’s cancer has returned – he then pleads with Juliet to stay on the island and help the females, and, in turn, Ben will heal Juliet’s sister. Juliet, later in the episode, is shown by Ben that her sister had indeed been healed of her cancer and delivered a healthy baby boy she named ‘Julian.’ Ben wanted to prove to Juliet that he is a man that stands by his word.

‘Every pregnant woman on the island had died’ (exact quote from Juliet) until Claire delivered her baby and survived. Juliet developed a serum that allowed Claire to survive, but Claire is going through severe withdrawal symptoms, as she hasn’t had an injection in some time and now is becoming rather sick. Juliet also was the person who discovered the tumor inside Ben on his L4 vertebrae. After begging to have permission to leave the Island, Ben does not allow it. She is, for all intents and purposes, ‘stuck’ on the Island.

While she is at the 'base camp,' Juliet goes on a mission to find medical supplies for Claire – and right behind her are Sayid and Sawyer. But Juliet quickly puts both of them in their place. As Jack tells Juliet in the end, ‘you want to get off this island more than anyone in the world. That makes you one of us.’

A part of the episode I particularly enjoyed was when Jack, Kate (Did you see the way Sawyer looked at her?) and Sayid appeared walking towards the ‘base camp’ for a reunion of sorts. It is only when Juliet is spotted that the moment becomes a bit uneasy for some of the main cast. This episode was a very good one – definitely a huge improvement over the past two episodes. Great seeing more screen time for the characters all of us ‘Lost’ fanatics have grown to genuinely care about.

Note: Did anyone notice that the company’s name that Juliet was hired by was named ‘Mittelos Bioscience?’ Well, if you scramble the letters of the word ‘Mittelos,’ you can make the phrase ‘Lost Time’ or ‘Time Lost.’
  • Juliet joins Jack, Kate and Sayid at the beach camp. Claire falls ill.

Well, the big question this episode was of course aobut Juliet. Can she be trusted or can't she?

Reading other reviews, the concensus seems to be that she can't but I'm not so sure. As far as we know, she's betrayed Ben at least once before, so who's to say the bit at the end of the episode is not another one of her calculated attempts at gaining Ben's trust. I tend to agree with Jack, she DOES want to get off the island.

It's nerve-wracking, not knowing who to trust and this means that the writers are doing a great job. Even though not that much happened in this episode, it was still very well written and informative. The bit at the end was a great teaser for next week. What will happen in one week...
  • Trust?

Juliet en camino al campamento de los buenitos, para qué se pregunta uno... Si Jack confía en ella entonces está bien... peor todos sabemos que Jack es humano y un poco confianzudo entonces y además Ben y quién sabe quien más están atrás de todo esto por lo que seguramente pasará lo que finalmente pasó que es todo un plan para...
    Hasta acá llego esto es una locura lo del submarino y si ellos pueden curar el cáncer entonces por qué Ben tiene y la isla es tan especial que todavía no entiendo si tienen total control sobre ella no no?
    Eso sí... decime que sabían quienes viajaban en ese avión y los eligieron uno por uno...
  • Exciting!!! Juliet is awesome :) I love her !!

Jack,Kate,Sayid and Juliet return to the camp although the people are outraged to have one of the others staying with them. Claire comes down with a virus that was caused by Juliet and her studies on Claire because apparently no pregnant woman survives on the island which really makes me worry about Sun. Juliet tells Jack she knows how to save Claire but her plans are interrupted by Sayid and Sawyer. Juliet made a really good speech which made Sawyer and Sayid back off and she did save Claire. At the end of the episode we see her and Ben sitting on down planning everything which really surprised me because I thought Juliet was finally on Jack's side. Juliet has flashbacks of how she got to the island and her sister's cancer and the day when she saw her sister on camera live all cured and a mother . Nice episode. Very surprising ending but then again all Lost episode endings are surprising. Favorite character from this episode : Juliet !!! I felt really bad for her when she was begging Ben to go home. Good stuff !!
  • Big stepping stone setting up the final 5 episodes.

While the "mini-season" started off uneven (or disastrous by myopic viewers), Juliet was consistently the most intriguing element of it. They even wisely started this successful leg of the season with her story, setting up how Mittelos recruited her to go "not quite [to] Portland". Now as the rescue phase of the season ends, it's fitting to turn to her again, which exposes a lot about who The Others are and what ramifications that'll have on the castaways.

Elizabeth Mitchell delivers another great performance (the Emmys are for losers) as Juliet, showcasing even more shades of her character than we saw in her first flashback. The first episode showed her from a mousy, insecure, yet brilliant scientist in Miami to a determined, collected, and still brilliant woman on the island. What this episode does is bridge the gap and explain how exactly Juliet became the woman she is.

Juliet had always wanted validation, but was continually placed under the thumb of people who can easily control her. This condition may still exist, at least with her relationship with Ben. Even free of her husband's control, she found herself buying into Mittelos' plans; this time their encouragement was the form of control.

The two people who influenced Juliet the most were Ben and her sister Rachel. Juliet wanted to be with her sister in her recovery, as it is presumed little time passed between Rachel telling Juliet of her pregnancy to Juliet going to Herarat Aviation (anagram: The Ovarian Tiara, if that means anything). Unfortunately, that conflicted with her "opportunity" with Mittelos, and resulted in a decision that has greatly affected her motivations as her time on the island has gone on. Juliet's decisions are motivated heavily to appease those who brought her to the island in hopes that they'll bring her home.

Thankfully, they didn't go the expected route and have Juliet and Ben be romantically involved, but rather had their history be related to Juliet's desire to leave the island and Ben's inability to let her. As the six month stay turned into three years, she has grown angry and resentful over Ben keeping her on the island forever. The revelation of Ben's tumor casts doubt over whether Rachel was ever healed, which Juliet seemed confident would happen with Ben's mentioning of Jacob.

Alpert's video documentation of a living Rachel playing with her son Julian shows considerable premeditation on apart of Ben to convince Juliet that he was genuine and his tumor isn't a sign of weakness of Jacob's. Considering the time frame between their fight with the x-rays to the crash, this only intensifies the power or its perception. Ben said in "Exposé" that one of his keys in manipulation is using something someone values for his own needs, and Rachel is that for Juliet.

Old scenes are spliced into the episode excellently, and are not just mere rehashes to fill time. The prologue from the premiere is reintroduced and is given a new context and added depth. While "This Must Be The Place (Naïve Melody)" by Talking Heads would've been a better fit for the show and her situation (this is something my nerd heart can't get over), Juliet listening to one of the few contacts she has with her sister, who she assumes after her confrontation with Ben has died and will never see again, is far more interesting than her jilted by an ex-lover.

Before Juliet's arrival on the island, more information is given as to Mittelos' functions. Juliet's assertion that none of her peers have heard of this group is fitting to the mystery of The Others. Mittelos likely shells out a lot of money to keep this operation quiet. Their presumed involvement with the bus crash killing Juliet's ex-husband showed the power The Others wield in the outside world, and their secrecy shows they are capable of much more.

It's reinforced shortly after the plane crash, when Ben contacts Mikhail for the next phase of their operation: gathering intel on all 324 people on the flight (although only a fraction survived). To get as thorough a job as The Others have on finding out everything about the castaways, they need more than a reliable search engine to do so. It's possible that they are in some way a competitor to The Hanso Foundation, the group responsible for Dharma.

This episode is the first one that gives some hint to what The Others' mission is. One major problem people have had, particularly those first six episodes, is that the only explanation for The Others' behavior is that they're antagonistic for the sake of antagonism. Now we see that part of their mission is to create life on the island, which seems to make the growing baby some kind of virulent agent, destroying the mother.

The island killing pregnant women is an interesting concept. There were hints in "Not In Portland", with the 26-year-old woman's deteriorated uterus. Does the island not want human life on it and will consciously destroy any woman who comes close? It could be added that The Monster is the muscle to take care of those already born. This explains a major mystery lingering from midway through the first season: why they wanted Claire. Claire gave birth without incident and the only problem that arose besides the implant was Aaron's bizarre rash in "Maternity Leave" (perhaps there is more to that).

One big factor is the conditions of Claire's pregnancy. Unlike Sabine and the other unnamed female Others, she conceived her baby off the island. This could explain why Alex and Rousseau didn't die because of the latter's pregnancy. This also brings up major questions about Ben's parentage, since we haven't seen either of his parents, and he claims to have been on the island his whole life.

It does explain why they would want Kate and Sawyer to have sex and all the contrived ways to get them together. The Others must've ran out of willing females to try to carry a baby to term, so why would they care if a woman on the other side, one not on "the list", died? The Others would be willing to place her in harm's way if it could provide an answer to the fertility problem.

Juliet's major motivation has been to get off the island to be with her sister again. Despite losing the submarine, she still has plenty of reason to believe that Ben has the capability to achieve that goal, whereas the castaways don't have any plan, spending more time hoping something or someone will come along to help them. However, Juliet has been mislead as to when she can leave the island before, which adds a tinge of uncertainty of which side she'll align with.

The con Ben orchestrates for Juliet is remarkable. Since the beginning of the season, Juliet has been coaxing Jack to side with her. With the primary leader of the castaways won over, she took to the only member of the rescue team who could possibly sympathize with her who wasn't going with The Others. Now on the main camp, she has to win over the hearts and minds of the main group, who are wary of having one of the enemy come over to their side. So, what would be better than as Ben puts it, for Juliet to solve a "big crisis" involving the new mother?

Implanting something in Claire to make her sick when she was abducted for a plan almost two and a half months later shows an astonishing amount of preplanning for The Others, even if the writers didn't think about that development way back in episode ten. It is a big step to swallow, but perhaps once we learn what Ben has in store a week from that final flashback, which should only be a few days ahead, it'll make sense.

The success of the con and what its end game will be could drastically alter Jack's status as leader of the group. Being gone for three weeks and Sawyer stepping up following Hurley's advice, in addition to Sawyer not being one to relinquish power easily, adds to that. There is a clear rift between Jack and the other leaders, like Sawyer and Sayid. Both men have enough reason to distrust anyone from The Others and they're likely to gain some followers.

One surprising thing is that no one calls Jack out for swaying his decision to protect Juliet based on his obvious feelings for her. Considering the heightened emphasis on romantic relationships between the lead characters, along with Sayid's ability to read characters and his desire to punish The Others, it seems remarkable no one would mention it while they were scrambling to save Claire.

While Juliet saving Claire appears to have given her some leeway with the rest of the group, some members staunchly opposed to The Others, like Sawyer and Sayid, are bonding under their mutual enemy. Since Juliet isn't going to win them over as quick as the rest, she shows she's willing to step up for herself and call out the two for their past crimes. What happened in Basra is a likely story for Sayid in the future (added to his war hero father), as it could be on par with Sawyer killing a man in "Outlaws".

Juliet's arrival and revelations could place the castaways in serious danger. However, the two who seem most likely targets are Sun and Charlie. Sun is in harm's way for being pregnant. In a twisted way, we're now inclined to want Jin not to be the father. Charlie's in peril because of Hurley's slip about what happened to Ethan. Juliet is smart enough to read between the lines, but what is she going to do with that information? If she is playing for The Others, the identity of their prized surgeon would make up for a lot of bad blood.

He may not be in danger, but Juliet's arrival on the beach introduces a new dynamic to Desmond's storyline. He wasn't on the flight and therefore Mikhail wouldn't have researched him. However, in "Exposé" The Others monitored The Swan when the castaways inhabited it, which could imply that they watched him long before the castaways blew open the hatch door. This offers a plethora of questions, like were they somehow orchestrating events to get them into that hatch, so they could monitor the castaways better and hatch a plan to get Jack, or even allow the button not to be pushed? The closest piece of evidence to that is Locke and Boone's discovery of the hatch occurred shortly after Ethan took Claire and almost killed Charlie.

The title of this episode recalls last seasons' "One of Them", where Ben was captured and brought to the Swan. Both moments were pivotal points in the seasonal arc. Ben's arrival to The Swan rejuvenated the second season, and provided many of its best moments. Juliet coming back to the beach protected by long missing leader Jack is going to produce a lot of sparks amongst the rest of the cast, as seen during the camp meeting the night she came in (something you'd think would happen more often).

This episode is an effective start of the final phase of the season, offering us a lot of answers while setting up a lot of mysteries for the final leg. While it may not have explained as much about The Others as some wanted, it explains enough to add context and explanation behind some of their actions.
  • We learn a lot more about Juliette's situation.

This episode began to answer some personal questions, but not some of the larger questions that we as viewers have...but I am okay with this. Even though they only focused upon the particular life of one person, it advanced our knowledge of the complete story. That alone makes this a good episode.

While watching this episode, I was becoming quite frustrated that so many people were trusting of Juliette. Personally, she would not have made it through the night.

I was also frustrated that Sayid and Sawyer were so quickly intimidated by Juliette. There is no doubt that they were right to be suspicious of her and I wish they would have stuck to their guns (figuratively and literally) when dealing with her.

Good story.
  • Exactly What You Can Expect From JulieT Centric Episode!!!

Objective - » The writes had material from the previous episode to explore, and this one was easy this time to structure. Now Juliet is one of the Main Cast Characters, so she has to be accepted by the Jack tribe, but not everything is easy. So the main focus are her situation in the Island and her flashbacks.

Flashbacks -» Last Juliet flashback was only a setup, I wanted to know more, about her Island time. This was the case this time, the introduction phase was slow, but necessary to understand some hints, it seems that the Others have some kind of enemy, since they are very rigid about security, who is this enemy is something to be revealed soon, until the end of this season or the beginning of the fourth season.

In Her complication phase we have another explanation in form of reflection. It is very easy to understand why she hate Ben, since he lied to her or he didn´t, than We have some hints too, about Jacob healing power, but it seems that in the Island, this Jacob (It is the fourth time that I hear this name in this season) don´t have the power to resolve the fertility problems in the Island. This may mean that Jacob wanted the List, because maybe he was the person who choose Jack and Co to be on this Island, for what purpose is still unknown.

Also during this Phase we had another information/Revelation about Juliet and her lover, and some hint to how Ben was surprise, this may indicate that he didn´t expected this to happen, maybe the Island or Jacob did something to happen, as punishment, another mystery to be solved. The Climax Phase when Ben show that he didn´t lied was interesting and dramatic for Juliet, but gave also the confirmation that Ben didn´t Know Nothing about Flight 815, or at least, he didn´t plan their Crash. The ending, well, simple 24 way of doing it – surprising.

Event in The Island -» The introduction Phase already happened in the Last episode, but this time it begins with a suspicious Sayid that want to Know everything. This Set the Complication Phase with the fact that Claire is ill, which is strange, because of the timing. Juliet is not welcome and there are some people that are not happy and want to do something about it. This type of plot is attractive, take the nice discussion that the tribe have with Jack regarding her.

Claire Sudden illness is only there to make Juliet the hero of the Tribe, and then this provide her to be accepted. But this deliver another information that was a secret until now and finally we know what is happening with the pregnant woman, but not why is happening, the usual drill in Lost. However, why Nathan Abducted Claire is Explained. The Climax of the Situation was very Tense when both Sawyer and Sayid decided to do something about her. How she deal with them, was very interesting and funny because of their expression. The ending was temporary calm for now.

Overall:

1 - Plot Holes: Bronze. Claire Illness does not make any sense. Ben is another Michael Scofield (PB) without the tattoo in his Skin, but is amazing how he plan in advance everything. Make someone sick like a time bomber is little Sci-Fi and out of reality. Just served to create the Climax and the ending, also the revelation too.

2 - Time and Scenes Management: Gold. Very well done. The probability to you to notice the scenes that are there to buy time is really small.

3 - Surprises/Twist/Shocks/Cliffhangers: The ending provide that. Also when you know who Juliet Lover was. 4 - Action: Wasn´t Necessary

5 - Funny: None.

6 - Drama: .Silver. Some Flashbacks Scenes.

7 - Tension/Fear: Gold. Juliet Vs Sawyer and Sayid was the best tension moment.

8 - Excitement Level (curiosity/Mystery/Doubt/Revelations: Since is centered in Juliet and the fact that she has to be accepted by Jack´s Tribe is interesting, and you also expect that you will have fine revelations. There are hints that maintain you curiosity and the ending also provide some doubt or not.

This episode is important, since everyone want to know more about Juliet, with that, some information about the Other could come to the surface and this is exactly what happens. I rate it 9,2.
  • Jack returns to the survivors camp with Kate & Sayid & an Other, Juliet, whose flashbacks pick up from where they left off, showing us how she got onto the island and became an Other. Claire is threatened by a strange illness that is life threatening.

This episode was so cool. Jack finally returns to the survivors camp with Sayid and Kate and someone else. The celebration of Jack's return is cut short when he arrives at the beach with an Other, Juliet, whose flashbacks pick up from where they left off, showing us how she got onto the island and became an Other. Ben in the flashback threatened Juliet of letting Juliet's sister die and the baby inside of her die too. Meanwhile, Claire is threatened by a strange illness. Juliet at the end of the episode had a flashback of Ben talking to her saying see you in a week which meant that the others were going to attack the survivors camp. Clair's illness was a plan from the others so that the survivors would trust Clair.
  • Interesting Perspectives. Interesting Revelations.

Not too bad. I was definitely watching with baited breath. I enjoyed seeing more on the Others. I'm still trying to figure Juliet's motivations, especially now that, presumably, there is no way off the island. Her flashbacks reveal that she truly does not want to be there, but the fact that she has been for several years must indicate that she has at least partially bought into their mission/vision. It is hard to figure what motivates the Others. The season 2 lost experience indicated that it was research designed to change one of the numbers in the Valenzetti Equation. I suppose that was their intent in research, but apparantly somewhere along the line, the island turned on the researchers by causing the issues with pregnancy, Ben's tumor, and probably other things as well(note that Rousseau had her baby on the island). I wonder if the troubles are isolated to the others or not. I suspect (and it has been rumored) that there is a third human presence on the island (the hostiles), and I look forward to more revelation.
    Anyhow, I digress from the episode. I find the final flashback interesting, not in what it revealed, but in that it was revealed. Typically, the writers do not let us in that blatantly on character motivations or betrayals. This time, we know that Juliet is a plant. At first I was disappointed in Jack for being taken for a fool, but I suspect that what he saw in her eyes was correct, and that she may be playing both sides. It will be interesting to see what she is there to accomplish. We will see in the next 7 Lost days - as Ben told her he would see her in a week. Also, the forward planning of the others to insert whatever implant that was a full month or two in advance is intriguing. Was this the original intent of the device? And thus was Alex manipulated into freeing her? Claire's escape was a little too... easy if you ask me. Well, I don't know if I made much sense, but give me a break, it's my first post.
< 1 2 3 4 5