Lost

One of Us

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Apr 11, 2007 on ABC

• Yay, Jack's back on the island! And it only took sixteen episodes! That may very well be a record for this show!

Let's start with the flashbacks.

The flashbacks in this episode take place pretty much right after those depicted in "Not in Portland" and chronicle important points in Juliet's time on the island up until just before the current events of the previous episode, "Left Behind." Juliet's story is interesting here. Jack mentions near hte end of the episode that because of her eagerness to escape the island, she is more like the Castaways than she is like the Others. This is an interesting bit of speculation, but it's not entirely accurate.

Unlike most of the Others we've seen, Juliet desperately wants to return home to her sister and nephew and her normal life, but at the same time she is dedicated to her work and is willing to do whatever it takes to protect it - even if that means kidnapping, torturing, and killing the otherwise innocent survivors of Oceanic 815. She wants off of the island, but her loyalties lie completely with the Others. In many ways, she's at once a Castaway AND an Other. It's an interesting dichotomy that I hope we see explored in later episodes.

Other than that, I really don't have any comments. The main story, featuring the Castaways being distrustful of Juliet and Claire coming down with an unusual sickness, was kind of predictable, and really only served to reinforce what I've already said. Okay, I do have ONE thing about that - I'm glad that Juliet's version of Ethan's motivation for kidnapping Claire appears to have been invalidated by the end of the episode (for my money, the final flashback makes it appear that she was only spinning events in this way to gain the trust of the Castaways). It fits with what it appears the Others are up to on the island, so I'm sure some of it is true, but otherwise it just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Kidnapping Claire was a last resort? So why does he hang Charlie and beat the heck out of Jack? Not really a lot of sense-making, there.