Lost

One of Us

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Apr 11, 2007 on ABC

• The standard of Season 3 is raised once again with an episode that has better flashbacks than island action.

Ever since "Not in Portland", Juliet's first flashback episode, the standard of Lost in Season 3 has risen, with the exception of "Stranger in a Strange Land". "One of Us" is yet another classic addition to Season 3 which has had its ups and downs.
    It is perhaps my second favourite episode of the season after "The Man from Tallahassee". Aside from the more consistent high quality "One of Us" also is an episode which continues the recent consistency of providing answers to many of the island's mysteries. Since "Enter 77", in fact Season 3 has been rather generous with its exposition, giving us insights into The Others, The Purge, the effect of the Electromagnetic anomaly, communications on the island and its healing powers. But one of the most pivotal outstanding mystery is what The Others are doing on the island, and why they are abducting Childrenand/or their mothers. Since Season 1 we had also been exploring Claire's abduction by the Others and, despite getting a rather detailed flashback on what happened to her after Ethan kidnapped her, neglected to offer us an answer as to WHY? Until now!
    Juliet is the central character of this episode and her performance here oncly confirms that Elizabeth Mitchell is one of the best acting additons to Lost, next to Michael Emerson and Terry O'Quinn.
    In 42 minutes Mitchell displays a multitude of varying emotions from being the rather placid and fragile pre-island doctor to the head-strong, manipulative and brave Island doctor she is now. Her change of character, however, hasn't happened overnight since she first stepped foot on the island. There are still moments when she breaks down and even now she wishes to get off the island, depsite her apparent comfort in fitting in with her surroundings.
    This is what makes Juliet such a complex character and audiences not know whether to trust her. The ending revelation may reveal Juliet to be the mole in the Losties camp and is working with Ben to some goal involving the women and their pregnancies, there may still remain some doubt on how far Juliet will execute her plan and if she really wants that plan to be executed. When Jack tells Juliet by the shore that he realized that she wants to leave the island as much as he and the losties do he remarks that that makes her "one of us". Something in her face in response to this makes us think that she understands that Jack is right.
    Generally with each episode my initial reaction is that the island action is always better than the flashbacks. Occassionally, as is the case with John Locke, the flashbacks are equally as good, but it is very rare that an episode's flashback is better than the island events, which is the case here.
    What makes it great is that most of it is on-island, something which is much more interesting and necessary than watching our beloved characters before the crash. At this stage of the game island flashbacks are another way to begin tying up some loose ends to the dense mythology. And loose ends are certainly tied up here, giving us the most clear picture of what the hell is going on than we've ever had before. With all the infomation supplied recently theorists are now starting to try to piece things together.
    The performances between Michael Emerson and Elizabeth Mitchell make the flashbacks work so well. The kitchen scene, in particular, is immensely powerful. It was also nice to see the plane crash again with a better sense of what it meant to the Otherswhen it happened. Mikhail's appearance was also nice, as was the reappearance of the Flame Station. The moment when Juliet cries at the sight of her sister and child certainly turned on my waterworks. The flashbacks were so informative, exciting and powerful that it seemed a shame to leave them each time to return to the present situations. Luckily the events here aren't boring and are just as powerful. That final moment when Juliet gives Jack that sweet smile sent shivers down my spine, particularly following the chilling revelation. "One of Us" was powerful and fast-paced in its momentum, despite not having much action. It is the performances from our stars which are the main attraction here and help make this one of the highlights of the season so far!