Lost

Orientation

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Oct 05, 2005 on ABC

• A pivitol episode that reveals much about the mystery of the island, but with some flaws that detract from the overall enjoyability of this episode.

This show just keeps getting better and better in terms of plot, but somehow I think this eposode missed on many levels.

I found it powerful when Jack cried in previous episodes, but why is Jack crying all the time now? He's standing in the forest pointing a gun at a and for no reason starts crying. And why is he so crotchety about not believing in the purpose of the computer in the bunker? He seems way too angry for no reason.

Likewise Locke acting like Jack was the only one who could press execute was dumb. It just seemed contrived to generate a supposedly powerful "Hollywood" moment.

I cringed when they threw Rodriguez into the mix. She's stinking up the whole thing so far. As if little 5-foot nothing 100 lb Rodriguez could punch 220 lb Sawyer and knock him down. It would be like a little kid hitting you. Now we're getting a dose of that Xena/Buffy the Vampire Slayer universe where girls are as physically tough as boys. It just isn't true and it's pure PC Marxism that grew tired years ago.

The 1980 orientation movie also didn't look too authentic. They should have watched something from the late 70's early 80's first, like "Freedom to Choose", which would have given the little film a better feel.

Overall it just seems like something not so good happened after the first season break. Great stuff with the storyline and the bunker thing is really excellent, but some of the execution seems flawed.
  • Awesome.

Jack and Locke discover that the hatch is a 1980's station built to control an electromagnetic anomaly on the island and learn that it was built by the Dharma Initiative, a scientific research team. Michael, Sawyer, and Jin find out that they are being held captive by the passengers of Flight 815's tail section, who have apparently survived. Flashbacks show Locke struggling with father issues and his relationship with Helen, who helps him let go of the issues with his father. Wow - I love the facy that Jin, Michael and Saywer get taken and put into a whole, I love it when Ana Lucia goes in with them. I love the hatch scene so amazing, Desmond thinks it's over because the computer crashes. Kate brings Sayid and Hurley to the hatch for the first time. Sayid fixed the computer and Desmond remembers Jack.
  • A truly great episode that reveals more about the characters than you'd think.

If you haven't figured it out already this is yet another great episode with subtle character development undertones throughout.

First, we finally get to meet Locke's mysterious Hellen, and reveals to us how she saved him from himself and his suppressed rage against his father's betrayal. She proved to be Locke's salvation, as he was searching for hope. This explains why Locke screams at Jack that "it was never easy" having faith and why he "can't do it alone". However, this also brings up new questions. Why wasn't Locke with Hellen when he was handicapped? Was there some sort of accident that crippled him and killed her? Is that why he calls phone sex lines and speaks to another "Hellen"? Was he having problems letting go of his emotional/spiritual rock?

Secondly we learn that Jack has SERIOUS emotional baggage when it comes to his former wife. While it was never explained what happenned to that marriage it plains to see that Jack is freaked out by the subject. Did she die? Did they divorce? If so, did Jack leave her or vice-versa? This trauma plays heavily into why Jack takes out his rage/frustration on Desmond. Does he feel that Desmond is somehow resposible for Jack marrying the girl in the first place? After all, it was Desmond who convinced Jack to go back and talk to her.

Lastly, we learn of Anna-Lucia's fate. You remember her. The girl that Jack spoke to at the airport bar before the plane crash in last year's season finale. Yup, she's alive alright, and she (alongside with several other mystery people) have got Michael, Sawyer and Jin hostage. Is she part of the mysterious others or just another lost survivor?

Personally, I think she and her crew are all survivors from the rear of the plane. They didn't fare as well and went all "Lord of the Flies". Why do I think this? Well to start they all look raggady as hell. Secondly, they have clubs for weapons. (The others on the boats had AK's.) Lastly, I think it would be a great plot twist of the big burly black guy Sawyer nicknamed Shaft was Rose's missing husband. That would be SWEET.

A great show with a great plot. Keep 'em coming.
  • 9. Our first look into the Dharma Initiative, and the end of the drawn-out introduction to what's in the hatch.

I think Season 2 of Lost was the most anticipated season premiere of all time for me. Sure, there have probably been better television shows with better seasons, but the way the first season left its millions of viewers reeling, there was nothing but anxiety pumping and thrasing itself through our veins as we watched the final moments of Season 1 fade to black and the long summer hiatus to Season 2 begin. The first three episodes of Lost's second season all covered basically the same period of time, and while the first and second episodes were good in their own respects, it's the third one that was the most interesting. It took everything we were presented in the first two episodes and combined them into a continuation, where we not only learned who and what was in the hatch, but also a little bit about the supposed "Others" that Michael, Sawyer and Jin were dealing with. Perhaps it's not the most recognized episode by fans, but for me, this is one of the better episodes of the show.

Up until this point, for me, the show had been primarily about survivors of a plane crash attempting to survive on an island that had macabre and eerie tendencies and mysteries surrounding it that hinted at some larger idea. The writers never really let on to what was coming up next, and the first season ended up revolving around survival. However, starting with this season, the mythology of the island came into the forefront, and the idea of other people living on the island before they crashed also became important. The connection between Jack and Desmond was an amazing reveal, and Desmond's first appearance on the show was great as well. The entire time I was watching the episode, I desperately wanted Jack or Desmond to acknowledge the fact that YES, they knew each other, and fortunately, they did so. This was also one of the first appearances of the lauded line: "See you in another life, brutha," a quote which takes on an entirely different meaning as the show progresses.

The pinnacle of the episode has to be the Dharma initiation video, with Chang (here using a pseudonym)informing us of what the hatch was created for and the purpose of hitting the button every 108 minutes. I always thought the button was an odd introduction to the show, and I know I wasn't the only one tearing out my hair, wishing the timer would reach zero so we could see what would happen. It was a great way to keep suspense throughout the entire season, and Chang's eerie delivery of the rules and regulations of the hatch still stays with me to this day.

Jack and Locke's relationship has always been a high point of the show for me, and Season 2 had some incredible interactions between the two characters, something that we cease to see as the show continues. The idea of destiny and free will begin to clash here, with Locke and Jack representing each side respectively, and as a result, we get scenes that glow with energy as the two actors act their hearts out. Locke's flashback about taking a leap of faith ties in perfectly to his argument with Jack, as he attempts to make Jack believe in pressing the button even though there's no proof that there's any need to.

This was a dense episode, filled with character development and plot development that interwined to help push each other forward. That's the sign of a good episode, when the writers are able to focus on multiple levels of a show without it detracting from one.
  • The end of the Introdution Phase!!!!!

Finally the Hatch Introdution ends in this episode, and as you can expect, this episode is very interesting.

This episode is Locke centric episode, make sense, since Locke and Jack have different point of views and the first episode was about Jack.

The weak part of this episode is Jack crying (is very easy for him to cry for everything), I don´t know why he didn´t ask more questions from desdmond (their last scene). How Sayid repair a damaged motherboard is still a mystery.

Other than that, this episode is fine.

The more intriguing part is the Dharma iniciative video. This video reveals very little and rise to much questions.

EM can affect the mental state of people, but also attract metal objects like aeroplanes. This also puts open to question if our survivors are not under any experience of the Dharma, since the psychology was one of their field of study.

The presence of the Polar Bear is at least understandable now.

You can expect some drama in Locke flashbacks, that was good, at least the first two scenes, other than that, doesn´t had too much, and was only done to explain Locke mindset.

There is no Cliffhanger.

Supposedly this "others" That Jin and CIA found, they perhaps are part of the flight 815.

Overall, emotional flashback, light drama, a difficult situation to solve, a video that rise so many questions and solve so little make this episode at least deserves is 9.
  • Enter the hatch

Sawyer, Michael and Jin are captured by "The Others" and Ana Lucia (Michelle Rodriguez) is arrested with them. Locke recalls his rehabilitation with a support group, where he met and had an affair with Helen (Katey Sagal). However, although with the support of Helen, he was not able to get free from the figure of his cynical father. Meanwhile, Kate hits Desmonds and accidentally shoots the computer. While trying to fix the apparatus, Desmond gives a film to Jack and Locke solving partially the mystery of the place. Desmond recognizes Jack from the brief encounter he had with him, but provokes a short circuit in the electric installation. Sayid and Hurley come to help.

In this episode, the secret of the shelter is partially disclosed through the projection of a film called "Orientation Film" of the Dharma Project for Station 3 (Swan). It is very impressive how the needy character of John Locke became strong in the island.
  • The film, the button, the cage, the door, the numbers--- and I want my kidney back!

Even with the fact that it's been two weeks, it still takes them five minutes into 'Orientation' to finally resolve the situation we had in the hatch at the end of season premiere, and it gets resolved in a way we couldn't have expected. It's not that surprising that Kate ends up saving Jack and Locke, but the how just seems to end where things get worse--- a gun goes off, and the lights go out, which leads poor Desmond to start shouting "We're all going to die!"

We get more of Desmond's story, and while it sounds lunatic and there are holes in it, it isn't a lot stranger than anything else we've seen on the island. Jack, however, the rational man can not let this go, and regards Desmond as a lunatic for all of his blind faith that something catastrophic will happen if he doesn't 'push the button'. Get used to the phrase, you'll be hearing it for the rest of the season. But Desmond has something more to go on--- a film revealing this hatch to be 'The Swan' station of the Dharma Initiative'. The information that we get about the scientists involved has been proved to be at least partially true (we're still sorting through it in the middle of Season 5). However what is not true is whose behind it: Alvar Hanso may exist, but that name is only an alias. I will refrain from telling you who he is, but his involvement was so key that there's a very good reason as to why Desmond ended up here.

Desmond is a man of faith, but the episode focuses on Locke. His flashback follows the one we saw in 'Deus Ex Machina' , after which he was conned out of his kidney by his father. Now, he's trying to handle things via anger management classes, but they have not enabled him to let go of what has happened. For the past year, Locke has been obsessing over it by driving to his complex and parking outside, unable to come in or engage the man he still thinks of as his father. Even when Cooper comes in and tells him why he did this, he still can not let it go. It is only when he meets a woman named Helen that helps him find the faith he needs in order for Cooper to relinquish (at least temporarily) his hold over John. But these wounds go away, and eventually Locke will lose her as well --- forever. Locke was a man of science for much his life; it took Helen to make him one of faith.

When Desmond fails at his attempts to fix the computer, he runs like hell. Jack runs after him, though I'm not sure why (maybe he needs to convince him that he's a fool.) Instead, Desmond ends up making the connection that Jack knows exist. (I'm willing to believe Desmond would remember it after three years; Jack was probably one of the last human faces he saw before he ended up on the island) Desmond then runs off, and I figured he wasn't that important and we'd never see him again. Boy, was I wrong Meanwhile, on the other side of the island, Michael, Jin and Sawyer have been taken captive by 'the others' or so they think. Eventually, they are joined by another prisoner, Ana Lucia, who claims that she was on Flight 815 as well--- in the tail section (We know that much is true from Exodus, Part 1). The story that she ends up telling us is a lie, but it's one that she tells for the best reasons: what the rafties don't know (and we don't know yet, for that matter) is that they have just as much cause to be suspicious as they do. Eventually, all it seems as a con to get their gun, but this story has only begun, even though this story is no longer in sync with what we are seeing in the hatch.

Back in the hatch, other things are happening. For starters, Kate discovers the front door, which leads to the question why didn't Locke and Boone find it when they were excavating for the past month?. It wouldn't have taken THAT much effort. My answer: Locke can get a very limited view of the horizon when he believes in something. If he'd looked, he probably could have found away. For him, it was an act of the island. Kate brings Sayid and Hurley back to the bunker. And Hurley sort of has the reaction, you'd expect when you find a locker full of food. Sayid does manage to fix the computer, asking very little in return. However, when Hurley hears the numbers going into the computer, his reaction is considerably different from Jack or Locke. He seems more than willing to let Locke put in the wrong one (though when Jack corrects him, he doesn't bother to say anything , or for that matter at any time for the rest of season 2) It eventually comes down to trying to convince Jack to press the button for his faith. Naturally, there's some tension, and it does come down to the very last second before Jack does press it. And when it happens, there's a shift: the hatch starts to become less Locke's property and more Jack's. Locke's faith has been tested by the hatch, and the constant pressing of the button will cause him to lose his faith little by little, until something happens that causes it to disappear altogether. But that's for later.

'Orientation' is a fascinating episode, like most of the ones that are Locke-centric are always interesting (though we're still waiting to see how he ended up in the wheelchair), even though most of the entertainment is in anticipation .We know that the button and the timer are going to break up at some point later in the season; we know that the group of others that the rafties meant are the real ones, and we know that the real Others are out there somewhere. These worlds are going to start colliding, and when they do, explosions will occurs. Some will probably be metaphorical; some will not.
  • Get lost

Quizás se hayan ido un poco al carajo (no es malapalabra). O quizás yo no estuviera de ánimo para verlo pero me pareció que perdieron un poco la orientación. Digo, de pronto, me parece. Lo de la escotilla va a ser difícil de remontar en cuanto a la credibilidad, creo que no es un show orientado (valga la redundancia) hacia los chicos.
    Aparte, qué onda con John? Era tan nabo antes y es tan inteligente ahora? Es ese el milagro del que tanto habla? Si es todo una cuestión de fe seguramente yo hubiese dejado que el tiempo siga corriendo.
    Push the button.
  • We have the guys getting thrown into a pit, we have an orientation of the bunker after Kate comes to the rescue of the boys but throwing a spanner in the works at the same time. Hurley is there to say that these numbers are bad, but are the

Michael and Sawyer land back on the island, due to the nature of the current, but the first thing they see is Jin with his hands tied behind his back, he manages to say others, before they appear and jump on the guys, dragging them off and throwing them into a pit.

We have a flashback to John attending an anger control group meeting, where he lets his anger for life gets him to point out some obvious things to the others in the, where he meets a lady named Helen, whom i think is the Helen mentioned before. He also flashbacks to his father telling him thank you for the kidney, you found god and i got a kidney - job done, goodbye.

Kate drops back into the bunker, takes a shotgun, loads it and sneeks around the side to whack Des with, there is a stray bullet that goes into the computer and so the race is on to fix the machine and enter the code. We find out about Des's history of being shipwreck on a round the world yacht race, how a guy runs out of the jungle, saves him and then teaches him things, the guy dies a few years after. There is a film in the other room, he directs them to that, whilst Kate goes to get Sayid to help them.

Back in the pit, Sawyer climbs up to see if he can see how many of them there is, only to have a large knife pointed in there direction, then a body is thrown down to join them, a female body.

We get more information on Locke's passed regarding his anger issues, how even though he has a new life, which does include Helen, there is still a piece that is angry at his father, hence the reason why he sits outside of his fathers house, even after he moved, at all times of the day and night.

Back in the pit, the girl awakes, dazed and confused, but she gets to find out that they are also from the flight that she was on, she also learns that Sawyer has a gun, she disarms him and then calls for out, she was an inside mole and tells them what she discovered.

Jack chases after Des, as after trying to fix the computer, the new motherboard blows a fuse, leaving the place in darkness, he grabs some items and then heads off into the jungle. Jack and Des talk and both realise they met once, ages ago. Sayid, Kate and Hurley get the place back on with electricity, fix the computer and get the code put back into the computer. Hurley knows that the numbers are the bad ones, he does not correct Locke's error, but Jack has returned and he does, they argue over pressing the button, but Jack eventually presses it with a few seconds to spare. Locke takes the first watch.
  • Loved it. The Dharma Inititive, and all the rest

This episode was like the first two in many ways, but this one gave us some more answers about the mysterious hatch.

It started off with the story of the raft which was extremely exciting at times. And those people throwing Michael, Jin and a wounded Sawyer into a pit in the ground. Who were they; tail-section survivors or the others? "Adrift" the previous episode didn't really explain anything new about the hatch, except for the significance of the cursed numbers: 4 8 15 16 23 42 that part was quite interesting. The flashbacks of John Locke were nice but a little sad; especially after what his father had done to him a while back. Overall the flashbacks were quite emotional, but great all around. As for the hatch, Desmond seems to be pretty cool, and we also get to see a film made by the DHARMA INITIATIVE. That was revealing for sure! Now that Desmond's taken off because of the damaged computer, the survivors are going to have to enter a code every 108 minutes! It's all just so exciting isn't it? Back on the other side of the island, we find out that the people who have imprisoned Sawyer, Jin and Michael are actually the because we see Ana-Lucia who met Jack at the airport before boarding the doomed flight. Ana-Lucia was horrible to the survivors for whatever reason I don't know. As for the hatch, the rest of the season is going to focus on the survivor's skills of continuing to push the button every 108 minutes. What happens if they don't push it? Lets not find out just yet.

Overall, this was truly one of the more revealing and interesting episodes so far! Good on you season 2; Keep it up! The first three episodes in fact were awesome, but I think the next episode will be a average one, looking at the promo.
  • A Locke-centric episode.

Let me just out by saying that out of all of the Locke-centric episodes that they've had so far, this one is definitely my favorite. I loved all of the flash backs that they had of Locke's life. I loved the scene with Locke in the A.A. meeting. I also loved that they had Katey Segal as a guest star in this episode. I think that she's a really great actress, so having her appear in this episode was a real highlight for me. Another thing that I liked the most about this episode was just Sawyer in general. I thought that he was extremely entertaining in this episode. All in all, I thought that this was a very well written, well acted and well made episode of Lost, and I can't wait to watch the next episode of the second season of Lost.
  • Locke: You want your damn thirty dollars back?! I want my kidney back!

Jack and Locke discover that the hatch is a deserted research station, called the Swan, built to control an electromagnetic anomaly on the island and learn that the hatch was built by the DHARMA Initiative, a mysterious scientific research team. Michael, Sawyer, and Jin are held captive by people they believe to be "the Others." Flashbacks show Locke struggling with the issues faced against his father. This episode is one of the best of the second season and has many memeroble moments Like the end of the episode where Locke and Jack are argueing and Orientation has many long awaited answers but also many new questions.
  • Season 2's opening trilogy concludes with new mysteries, new Flight 815 survivors and sparks flying between Jack and Desmond and Locke. And all because of a button!

Orientation is the third Locke-centric episode, and while still of a high standard is the lesser of the three.
    The island action (at least The Swan action) is riveting. It is the character drama which makes it so intense. I think both Locke and Jack shifted up a few gears for this episode as their performances are incredible. The standoffs between them are nerve-wracking as is Jack's stand-off with Desmond. In fact the performances outweigh the rest of the episode.
    Orientation essentially concludes the season's opening 3-episode arc, which focused on two parties - the Hatch party and the Rafties.
    There isn't too much attention on the Rafties but what we see is quite revealing. We meet Ana-Lucia, who apparently is also a survivor of the plane crash but was in the tail section of the plane, which broke off in mid-air.
    Does this mean then that Bernard, Rose's husband, is still alive, as she herself believes?
    The attention though is firmly seated with the events of the Swan Station, which is gripping enough to not want to divert from it.
    It introduces new mysteries to the series, which is added to the already impressive amount of mysteries unleashed so far. Of course new questions are raised and while some are answered from the previous episodes in the trilogy, more are replaced. The DHARMA Initiative is first introduced in this episode, as is the Orientation film, Dr Marvin Candle, Alvar Hanso and the Hanso Foundation and Electromagnetism. Electromagnetism is the reason the Swan Station was constructed. It was meant to be a scientific facility in which to study and control the levels of Electromagnetism emanating from this sector of the island.
    It was surprising to learn the purpose of the Swan so soon, judging by how long we waited to even see what was inside, but this was a pleasant surprise. You can't always keep holding back answers to the last moment.
    We also get an answer, even if it is not clear, as to why the button has to pushed, which is to save the world. Exactly what this means is unclear but it would seem that Electromagnetism would be the cause of world destruction. The Swan computer is in charge of controlling the levels of Electromagnetism on the island. It is possible that the island's electromagnetic field caused the crash of Oceanic Flight 815 or at least the Swan's control of them, which may have gone awry due to the numbers. Also there is the mention of the DHARMA Iniative's interest in Zoology, which explained the existence of Polar Bears on the island and the shark that terrorized Michael and Sawyer in the previous episode. If you noticed the Shark has the DHARMA logo on it's side!
    Now that Desmond has done a runner, I think the answers to the mysteries surrounding the Swan are going to come a little slower.
    In the meantime this episode gave us plenty to theorise and speculate over. In many ways Orientation did for Season 2 what Solitary did for Season 1, changing the shape of the show, and introducing a new outlook for the island.
    Mysteries aside, this episode is strong but as said before the highlights are the performances and character drama between the three Hatch men.
    One of the disapointments with the season so far is that it has a rather narrow focus, focusing on two small groups of survivors, mainly the group in The Swan Station. As exciting and intriguing as events down here are, the rest of the survivors are barely given a nod. Following on from the events of Exodus, you'd have thought a lot of attention would also be spent following the lives of the people of the caves/the beach after their ordeal and how they are dealing with it.
    Now that the trilogy is over the scope of the show should return.
    There is, however, a greater disapointment with this episode. As another Lost episode it works well but as a Locke-centric episode it is the weakest of the three we have had. The flashbacks are much weaker this time, which is the only thing that the episode lacks, which is surprising, as his previous two have been so intense, emotional and shocking. We could have been watching Michael's flashbacks again. They were that dull.
    What was surprising was that they gave Locke a romantic interest. I had expected Locke to be a reclusive, lonely and insecure person in every flashback we have seen him in, his only relationships coming from dial-a-date chatlines. This now puts a whole new spin on his character, one which I haven't gotten used too yet.
    Other than flashbacks the episode doesn't really feel like a Locke flashback really. There is equal attention spent on Jack's character and Desmond. This is not a criticism. Mnay episodes that focus on several characters in depth aside from the flashback character have worked, take for example Outlaws and his own first episode, Walkabout. Minor quips aside, this is another fantastic episode of Lost, which further complicates the situation on the island.
  • Absolutely breathetaking. The best episode to date.

Orientation is one of the best episodes of Lost overall, and up to this point, it was the best. Of course alot of people would disagree, mainly because this episode was, really out there.

We finally get a good look at the hatch. We get to explore it, and learn a bit about it's purpose. It's just so... intriguing. More than anything before on Lost.

According to Desmond, a button has to be pushed every 108 minutes to save the world. The hatch 's called the Swan Station and it was created by the Dharma Iniative. While the title refers to the orientation video by Dharma, it kind of refers to the nature of the episode. A giant orientation. This is going to be season 2's main plot arc: the hatch.

The faith of Locke is clearly already being tested. He entered the hatch, but what happened? Nothing. He's supposed to push a button? what's that all about?

His flashbacks are truly amazing. Not as amazing as in Deus Ex Machina, but close. He finds himself a girlfriend, but he's still "addicted" to his father in a way, but his father doesn't even want to hear from him. I think it shows how Locke needs someone/thing to hold up to. By the end of his flashback, he realizes it doesn't have to be his dad, it can be his girlfriend, Helen.

Some say this episode was a bit far fetched, but I think it was brilliant. I absolutely understood why Desmond ran away(he finally got a chance to go out after so many years), I understood why Jack didn't want to push the button, and I understood why Locke wanted to. The scene in the end, with them arguing is one of the best scenes to date. No wonder it was so damn long, which is great. I also have to mention how awesome Giacchino's score was. It always is, but it was simply perfect this time around.

Overall, an episode that sets the direction of the season. A dark but very intriguing direction.
  • Love it!

Locke has flashbacks of when he meets Helen, his girlfriend and she tries to help him let go of his father.

Kate hits Desmond, who shoots the computer on accident.Desmond explains why he keeps pressing in the code. He gives Jack and Locke a film to watch. It's an orientation to what you're supposed to do. Kate gets Sayid, so he can fix the computer. Jin, Michael, and Sawyer are taken and put into an underground cage. They meet Ana, who says she was on the plane and escaped. She takes Sawyer's gun and goes up with the others. She was part of them. Desmond runs away with time running out. Sayid fixes it and Locke makes Jack push the button because Jack doesn't believe that anything will happen if you don't.

This episode was great! I'm interested in the hatch and the button. The thing with Jin, Sawyer and Michael is also very gripping! The other cast members aren't getting much chance to act though. This episode gets a 10 from me!
  • down in the ditch

I think this was the third time we've seen the scene where Jack is pointing the gun at Desmond in the hatch. After seeing the orientation video we still have no clue what the "button" does, and what would happen if the button isn't push in time. Back in the Jungle Michael sawyer and Jin are held captive in a ditch with this chick who they assume has been captured too. Little do they know, it was just a scheme for her to see just how dangerous they were. We later find out that the chick is the girl from the airport who sat at the bar with Jack. Nothing much happened.
  • One of my favourite episodes of season 2.

• "Why do you find it so hard to believe?"

Orientation is an episode about faith, and how it can help in one's life. We see Locke make a full journey between the flashbacks and the on-island action, and we see what could be the beginning of a journey for Jack.

The main story, inside the hatch, picks up where it left off in the last two episodes. Things take a nasty turn, though, when Desmond accidentally shoots the computer. We don't know the full significance of the computer yet, but we soon will. This episode is bursting at the seams with all the information it wants to spill out. Therefore, it lacks a little bit in the emotional content department. There is a lot of tension, though, oftentimes a little too much. But more on that later. Desmond tells his story, about being brought to the hatch by Kelvin, and starting to push the button. Henry Ian Cusick is great once again, as his manic portrayal of Desmond is perfect for the scenes. There's also the matter of the Orientation film. Marvin Candle tells of the Dharma Initiative, which did copious amounts of research on the island, in all sorts of fields. The station that our characters are in-The Swan-is Station 3 of 6, and is used for electromagnetic research. That is, it was, until the incident occurred, and the button was installed. Jack immediately calls the button into question, thinking it's no more than a psychological experiment. Jack acts like a real Jack-ass in this episode, and, I'm sorry to say, that will continue. His scorn at Locke and Desmond's blind faith in the button reaches critical levels, and the character alienates himself from the audience. Meanwhile, Locke is having breakdowns of his own. Despite the fact that he believes in the button, he's clearly disappointed that that's all that is in the hatch.

In his previous life, Locke sat around all day, pushing buttons. Now, the thing that he thought was his ultimate purpose turns out to be nothing more than a computer station, where he is going to have to sit around all day, pushing a button. It's a major blow to Locke, and his faith is noticeably shaken. He's had almost blind faith in the island, desperately trying to open the hatch, which inadvertently caused Boone's death. Now, after weeks of work, he's left with exactly what he thought the hatch was going to rescue him from. Desmond runs out of the hatch, leaving the survivors to take care of the computer and the button. Jack runs after Desmond, and this seals it for Locke. He's left alone in, essentially, his past life, and when he flips out, it's pretty understandable.

Jack takes off after Desmond, and all the Scot will tell him is the code for the computer. Jack, meanwhile, has a total meltdown on him, and it's like Desmond's faith is physically hurting him. As annoying as Jack is throughout this episode (maybe that's because we're seeing things through Locke's eyes), Matthew Fox does a terrific job going from pure rage to crying in the jungle. In the hatch, Sayid is called in to fix the computer. Sayid is very different from Jack, because he doesn't ask time-consuming questions. He sees a timer, knows a computer needs to be fixed and does it, no questions asked. Later, when the tension between Jack and Locke reaches boiling points, Sayid says the argument is irrelevant and tries to push the button. He knows a button needs to be pushed, no one's pushing it, and so he's going to. In many ways, Sayid would make a better leader than Jack, because Sayid gets things done.

The button scene is very tense and full of the conflict between Jack/science and Locke/faith. Locke's words are the exact words that Helen said to him outside Cooper's house, and you can tell that Locke is trying to help himself as much as he's trying to help Jack. Locke believes that if Jack believes in the button, maybe he'll be able to convince himself that it's more than it seems too. Hurley, meanwhile, is only concerned with the food in the pantry. The look on his face when he sees the room is priceless. When he hears the numbers being put in the computer, he once again freaks out, like he did when the hatch was being blown open. The most important part of the scene, though, is that Jack pushes the button, which shows that somewhere, deep down, Jack still has some faith. What happened to make him lose all his faith is not yet clear to us (wait for the next flashback), but it seems to have something to do with Sarah, as Desmond triggers that ugly side of him, and Desmond asked about Sarah.

The flashbacks of this episode are really where any emotional content has to come from, as the island stories are pretty much straight exposition to try and set up the plotlines for the first part of the season. Terry O'Quinn does a great job, as usual, and the flashbacks are interesting in that they show the beginning of Locke's faith. It comes from a woman named Helen, who he meets in anger management classes. Locke has been unable to get over Cooper's betrayal of him, and the man's brief appearance in this episode makes him even more of a jerk, especially when he tells Locke he's not wanted. That's probably the most emotional scene of the whole episode, as it's so subtly played by Terry O'Quinn. Michael Giacchino does an excellent job with the music-Locke's theme is played very quietly, yet it makes the scene work better. Helen eventually sets an ultimatum-Cooper or her. Locke takes that leap of faith, and becomes the person we've come to know. Things don't work out with Helen, but we don't know what happened. All we know is that Locke had a girl named Helen talk to him over a dial-a-date line for eight months, and he'd been paralyzed for four years. It seems that Locke just invented a new Helen, to try and help him hang onto his faith.

The other plot of this episode features Michael, Sawyer, and Jin learning the identity of their captors. Ana-Lucia, the girl who talked with Jack at the airport is dumped into the pit along with the three amigos, but soon is pulled out by the massive, quiet enforcer that was in the tail section. She also takes Sawyer's gun, even though there's only one bullet in it. Sawyer is very funny in the scenes, and he comes up with a plethora of new nicknames-"cupcake" for Ana-Lucia is my favorite. The story really just serves to provide a neat entrance for the Tailies, and re-introduce Ana-Lucia, but it is still well-done, and all three guys do a very good job in it.

This episode is very good, even though it's the second episode of the first three this season to lack a lot of emotional content. It's made up for in the number of mysteries that are introduced, centering on the Dharma Initiative and Desmond's past. Desmond has taken off though, and we won't see him for quite a while. The hatch, now managed by Locke, will become a character in its own right, and provide the setting for a number of spectacular events that will unfold this season.
  • Very revealing!

We find out lots about the hatch in this episode. It was an information filler.We see
    that the computer is damaged and Jack demands answerrs on the hatch.Desmond explains about his race around the world and that he was brought there by Kelvin who tol him about the computor.
    He told them the button had to be pushed every 108 minutes.Locke is inrigud and Jack's scaptical but both want answers.
    Desmond tells them to watch a film from the hatch called orientation.
    It tells them about the Dharma Initiative which began in 1870's. It tells them the duties of the hatch they are in called the "Swan".
    It's very interesting to Locke but Jack thinks its all a mind game.
    Also, Michael, Sawyer and Jin are tossed in a hole in the ground by the strangers they have encountered.
    A woman is thrown in with them who tells them she's a fellow survivor, only to attack them and then go back out.
    Desmond flees, knowing he cant fix the computor.He leaves Jack and Locke in charge of it.
    Kate fetches Sayid who fixes it as Locke takes a leap of faith and enters the numbers "Saving The World".
  • Review

Couple of things here. The flashback in this episode was very well done. We get to see what Locke was doing before he got put in his wheelchair, which was apprently going out with this girl named Helen. This would explain the phone operator using the name "Helen" when Locke was talking to her in season 1. I thought all of the island scenes were great - with Jack and Locke continuning to be at each others throat. Jack took the "leap of faith" that Locke talked about through his flashback and now it seems this season will revolve around the button and everyones involvement in the hatch. I thought the scenes with Micheal, Sawyer, and Jin were well done too. There storyline still has a lot of mystery left in it, so hopefully we will get more answers in this upcoming episode. Overall I think this season, similar to season 1, has started out very strong.
  • another exciting episode

Jack, Locke and Kate figure something out about the hatch that they recently discovered. Sawyer, Michael and Jin are held captive at the other side of the island. Many of the people around them could have be the others but they don't know who. This episode is also a Locke flashback episode. This episode is really exciting. The show is expanded with the addition of the survivors at the back of the 747 that was cut in half in mid air. The other survivors bring a new dynamic with the show, there are more lives to be played around with for the show, it's exciting.
  • This episode is about Locke.

Jack, Locke and Kate learn more secrets about the hatch. they learn that you have to press a button just to keep the world not exploding. Meanwhile, after being beaten and taken captive, Sawyer, Michael and Jin wonder if their captors are fellow survivors or the dreaded "Others." Flashbacks reveals more of Locke's past in this episode as well as the introduction of Helen (guest star Katey Segal) who shakes things up even more with her revealing personality and past. Helen wants Locke to take a leap of faith but he just couldn't. This episode was a Locke episode. My favorite part of this episode was the wondering if Jin, Sawyer and Michael were safe with the people that they just meet, Whether it was the others or other survivors of flight 815. I also liked the part where Kate, Jack and Locke see the film and learn that they have to press a button or something bad is going to happen.
  • Absoloutely brilliant!

You know, so far this season I don't like the current themes. The main reason I watch the great show Lost is because it is all on this tropical island and its bright and about survival and so far, it has had nothing to do with survival but hatches and others. These topics are good but not.... After watching the second season I liked it but wasn't obsessed like I was with the second season and this is because the first season was like "where do we get water" and "who stole the food." I really didn't understand anything to do with Desmond so theres yet another unanswered question.
  • Well, it was almost as good as the other Locke episodes. Very cheesy plot. I recommend reading my review.

This episode, I was looking forward. It seemed to be really revealing and nerve wracking. Well, it was. But...

So we finally advance to episode 3. No more reused scenes(except at the beginning) or different perspectives of the hatch entrance. The real plot is launched!

It starts with a bang... literally. Desmond gets kicked by Kate from behind, and Desmond accidently pulls the trigger, which hit the computer. Uh oh, no more button to push. Or..?

Desmond in his fear of finding out what happens when the button's not pushed runs away... Jack follows him. Cheesy plot - why? Number 1 reason:

- Jack finally reaches Desmond to have a little chatter. Desmond remembers Jack from the stadium, and when Desmond asks what happened to Sarah, Jack starts crying. Oh my god. Cry? Again? On a question? And Jack lets Desmond go without asking ANYTHING!

In the hatch, the situation gets worse, because after Desmond tried to fix the computer(which failed) the electricity went out. Hurley and Kate are trying to locate the main switch to get back the electricity. Mainwhile Sayid arrives because he's a 'computer expert'.

Cheesy plot - why? Number 2 reason:

- Sayid, doesn't matter how much he knows about computers, couldn't have fixed the computer like that. If something is SHOT, you can't fix it by just plugging out and in some wires. Because that's what he was exactly doing - he was mentioning some kind of 'motherboard change' but that never happened... UMM...

So, now, finally the computer is back online, and Locke is ready to enter the numbers. He types 4 8 15 16 23 32 which is wrong... Jack pops right in tells Locke the last number is 42. And when Locke asks Jack to enter the code...

Cheesy plot - why? Number 3 reason:

...Jack cries again. Jesus. On the Locke part: Why does he need JACK to help him push the button? It's just plain funny. On the Jack part: Why it is neccessery to cry all the time, why can't he just push the button? On the others part: Why were they standing there doing nothing? IF the button does something, then that will effect them too, not only Jack and Locke...

...Of course, the button's pushed, and Locke takes the first shift. Jack cries. In the flashback... umm

Cheesy plot - why? Number 4 reason:

Locke keeps going back to his father's house. But he does nothing. He just parks infront of his house. Waiting. For...? Locke doesn't even know! Even though Locke is my favorite character, and the episode was highly entertaining, I believe it could have been done MUCH MUCH better. If Damon and Carlton had to write this episode, it could've been a big bomb. But this way, it's just a whimper.
  • A good flashback and good exciting action

This time the events in the hatch progress a little more and it starts to get much more interesting because the computer gets damaged and it must be fixed, The flashback was a good one, as Lockes normally are. But the action on the island was better with the computer being broken and; Jin, Michael and Sawyer being held captive by the tail section survivors. Overall this was a good episode that had a good flashback and even better Island action But desmond leaves for a while and i think season 2 could have been better with him in it, it still turned out to be brilliant though.
  • Finally the hatch is futher explored.

This is a fantastic episode, explaining what the hatch and the computer are all about and how Desmond ended up down there. Also adding to the incedent with Sawyer, Michael, and Jin, and the supposed others.

I loved this episode for its intense confrontations between the characters, from breaking the computer to fixing. The only thing was is that the flahsback was about Locke, but the episode bearly focused on Locke, it mostly focused on Jack, Desmond and the rafties.

This episode was definitly a great episode that you can watch again and again (I know I did) and it is really informative, with the first apperence of Ana Lucia since the season 1 finale. It really is a mind blowing episode and extremly informative.

Locke: Why do you find it so hard to believe!?

Jack: Why do you find it so easy?

Locke: It's never been EASY!

LOST
  • jack, kate and locke learn more secrets about the hatch and sawyer, michael and jin are taken captive.

this episode was great. we learnt more about the hatch, met these people who took michael, sawyer and jin captive and saw more of johns past. johns memorys in this episode where not as good as the ones in season 1 but they were good still. the best parts of this episode where: desmond shooting the computer accidentally, jack choosing whether hes going to push the button or not, hurley realising the code for the computer is the numbers and jack telling desmond that he married sarah. this episode was another great installment and im sure all the episodes are.
  • What is the porpuse of the hatch? What it is for? We (almost) find it out.

this episode features the 3rd Locke flashback so far. Nowheree near as exciting as the previous 2 ones. In this flashback we learn how Locke couldn\\\'t let his father go, even though, his father, REALLY wanted Locke to get \\\'LOST\\\'. We also learn about Locke\\\'s relationship.

On the island, Sawyer, Michael, Jin are captured by the tail section survivors.

In the hatch, Desmond is disarmed, however, an accident occurs. The mysterius computer is shot. The computer\\\'s porpuse is to enter the numbers in it every 108minutes(4 8 15 16 23 42) otherwise... the countdown ends and..? What happens?....

Intense episode, however, the ending was lame. So far Season 2 didn\\\'t impress me.
  • Informative.....NOT! So many new questions and no answers....

7.2
    But I guess I should no by now that with every answer we get in Lost, we are given five more questions to ponder. I think the Orientation video was the biggest event in this episode - of course it was the thing from which most questons arose. What the heck is Dharma?? Is this pushing the button thing for real? What happens if the button isn't pushed? Personally, I believed the whole thing was a social experiment until "Live Together, Die Alone" where we find out that the consequences of not pushing the button are real and dangerous.

This episode is Locke-centric (finally, right?) and we get to learn more about how Locke responds to being conned by his father and how a relationship with Helen is affected by it. Still no word on how he came to be in the wheelchair - that was slightly disappointing - but maybe we'll get to know in the third season... Overall, I think that it was a pretty good episode and we finally get to see the mighty hunter crack under the pressure of trying ot find meaning in the dicovery of what is inside the hatch.
  • Michelle Rodriguez is the worst thing that can happen to this series

4.5
    Seriously, I can accept them adding Adabese from the HBO drama OZ, but michelle rodriguez is just plain horrible. Terrible actress, and even worse portrayal of a \"tough\" female.

Big surprise, soon as she pops onto the show again, she punches out Sawyer and takes his gun, ooooooooooo michelle is tough? really? Her characters are just stupid and she makes it even worse with her tough-girl persona.

Season 1 was magnificent, great, classic.

Season 2 is going down the hill after this episode. Have yet to watch the rest after this, but this episode is definitely crap. They changed up the Helen-Locke storyline as well?

This show could have really done without michelle rodriguez and her painful presence, but that is just my biased opinion.

And is it just me, or is Jack becoming annoyingly sensitive toward everything?

Locke is still great, Zahid is still great, Hurley is still great, Desmond is fantastic.
< 1 2 3