Lost

Orientation

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Oct 05, 2005 on ABC

• A pivitol episode that reveals much about the mystery of the island, but with some flaws that detract from the overall enjoyability of this episode.

This show just keeps getting better and better in terms of plot, but somehow I think this eposode missed on many levels.

I found it powerful when Jack cried in previous episodes, but why is Jack crying all the time now? He's standing in the forest pointing a gun at a and for no reason starts crying. And why is he so crotchety about not believing in the purpose of the computer in the bunker? He seems way too angry for no reason.

Likewise Locke acting like Jack was the only one who could press execute was dumb. It just seemed contrived to generate a supposedly powerful "Hollywood" moment.

I cringed when they threw Rodriguez into the mix. She's stinking up the whole thing so far. As if little 5-foot nothing 100 lb Rodriguez could punch 220 lb Sawyer and knock him down. It would be like a little kid hitting you. Now we're getting a dose of that Xena/Buffy the Vampire Slayer universe where girls are as physically tough as boys. It just isn't true and it's pure PC Marxism that grew tired years ago.

The 1980 orientation movie also didn't look too authentic. They should have watched something from the late 70's early 80's first, like "Freedom to Choose", which would have given the little film a better feel.

Overall it just seems like something not so good happened after the first season break. Great stuff with the storyline and the bunker thing is really excellent, but some of the execution seems flawed.