Lost

Pilot (2)

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Sep 29, 2004 on ABC

• A Polar bear?!?!

.... a polar bear? ... ok... guess I'll have to watch further to understand what's going on. I'm still not impressed. I just don't see why everyone is going nuts over this show. I guess it's Charlie. So far I see some really good ideas they are running with, but it just seems so scattered. Jack is obviously the hero, but one you want to hate because he's throwing himself out too often. The only characters I'm remotely interested in at the moment are Charlie (I wonder if he'll turn into a hobbit ^_^), Clair (you have to admit interest in atleast the baby), and Sawyer (I love a good anti-hero). I do like how they give the character histories. I'll continue to watch in curiosity.
  • Like every pilot, this is where we are introduced to the Lost 'verse

7.2
    I’ve heard lots of good rumours about this programme, but haven’t actually read anything about it, didn’t want to get spoiled if I decided to watch it.

RTE showed the pilot (2 episodes) back to back last Monday, and there wasn’t much else on so I figured I may as well watch it. So far it is okay, I’m not sure why there has been so much raving about how great it is. Then again, I can’t really judge after only one episode.

The opening scene was good, I liked the image of Jack just lying there in the forest, and I do think that they were right to show the plan crash in flashback, instead of an almighty confusing opening. Plus it gives the viewer a chance to see what happened on the plane from different persepectives.

For the rest of the programme it seemed pretty run-of-the-mill, the character of Jack annoyed me, simply because he was such a hero. It annoyed me that no one else was even thinking about doing anything until he made an appearance at the crash site and started giving orders. I suppose the writers were saying that everyone else was pretty much in shock, but as a doc, Jack was used to crazy chaos-filled situations.

As for the rest of the episode goes, well I think they overdid it on the whole “something is out there”. There are only so many times you can show trees shaking, and hear strange noises before any tension evaporates, changing into boredom.

That been said, I did like the appearance of the polar bear, and the wierdness of it. Plus that french woman’s recording at the end was a little creepy.
  • Here is where we are!

Covering the grounds of the first adventure of Lost is simple. Jack was designed to die, you can tell the moment where he was supposed to be killed through the Pilot character. This character and Jack share a connection because of this. When we see the body of the pilot we are supposed to be looking at the protagonist. This was initially planned as a shock narrative twist, one that the writers will more than make up for throughout the shows next six years. The writers were kind enough to leave these seeds strewn through the pilot; notice that Jack went to pilot school? Because of the intense focus on the pilot, it's fitting the pilot is called well... "Pilot". Getting back onto the focus of this episode, the episode focuses on interactions. Shannon, the paris Hilton character, gives the show the iconic image of sunbathing in the wreckage. John Locke plays Backgammon with Walt. A game based on SENET which no one has ever been able to understand the full rules off. The writers will latter return to this and it will serve as a narrative plot in the latter seasons But this review isn't designed to spoil anything past the episode I am reviewing. One bit on analysis I will add; is the Hurley + Jack, blood scene. Hurley is a television buff, he is unhealthily obese. The writers designed this character around the personality of the actor. Now the first thing everyone expected was that this character would lose weight throughout. However to do this, the actor would have to take a major life-style change and so the character wouldn't be the one to "fill the role of the audience". Which is what he serves as; especially in any of the heavy sci-fi parts (this is a sci-fi show btw). So anyway, to focus on his character (since there is no Hurley centric until latter this Season – minor spoiler). The sight of blood makes him cringe, yet being a major television fan this strikes odd. What we can deduce is that he is used to watching bloodless shows with bloodless fights so often, he has forgotten how the human body acts. Lost in its first Season does its best to integrate itself with medical reality. Which it really is forced to do when the Polar bear shows up and drifts the show away from reality. Charlie; "where are we". LOST has begun.
  • Had a lot more charater development then Part 1, an a lot more to it.(Spoilers!)

Summary: Jack tries to help a dying man who happens to be a U.S Marshall. Kate, Sayid, Charlie, Boone, and Shannon head out over the mountains to get the transciver to work, and the meet a polar bear along the way. Walt finds a pair of handcuffs in te jungle. Pros: Had a lot more depth than he first episode, and also a lot more story. I liked how all the cahraters interacted in this episode.
    Cons: Still lacks the classical moments of Lost such as "The Constant", and "Walkabout".
    Overall: A lot better than episode 1 but still lacking scenes that make Lost what it is today.
  • Såg precis första avsnittet av Lost och känner mig imponerad.

Såg precis första avsnittet av Lost och känner mig imponerad. Vet att många här ogillar Alias kraftigt (själv tycker jag det var en läskigt underhållande spionfantasi under S1, men att den sen tappade på att försöka bli mer seriös. Fortfarande helt okej dock.), men det är ingen anledning att undvika J.J. Abrams nya.

Stark cast med bl.a. Dominic Monaghan (Lord of the Rings), Harold Perrineau (OZ), Angels Daniel Dae Kim och skicklige Terry O'Quinn (Alias, West Wing) som gör en stilig Marlon Brando-imitation. Dessutom var, för mig okände, Evangeline Lilly onekligen en sann njutning för ögonen. Väldigt snygg, och känns allmänt väldigt påkostad. Sen fungerar det dramatiskt också, även om huvudpersonen Jack att döma av detta avsnitt är lite väl mycket av en träbock, och påminner för mycket om Vaughn i Alias.

Och, naturligtvis, (får väl anses standard nu för tiden för serier jag tycker om) hotas Lost av nedläggning redan efter första avsnittet... Längtar ändå tills del 2 av piloten nästa vecka (pilotavsnittet var egentligen 1½ timme men choppades upp i två delar av TV-bolaget).
  • i really like the fact kate is the criminal, i just wish i knew what she did

The second episode i really enjoyed because we got to learn more about the chacters, i will start with Kate, what a good twist have her be the criminal but we don't exactly know what she did and it looked like Jack doesn't care but the fat guy knows. Which provide an intresting situation because i can see that, it will have to come out eventually. I really like all those flash-back about Kate and how she landed herself on the plane but i hate the fact that they havn't told us. i don't think she's a bad criminal, she didn't know how to disarm a gun but thanks to Syrid she was able to. i really liked that guy. Mind u i didn't like the fact that one of survivor called him a terrorist. That's racial profiling in a US show. now that's bad thing to encourage.

The French message, now i liked the fact they lied to survivors, hope is such an important thing, The fact that Kate told Jack about that suggest that she trust him but cop told him not to trust her. The polar bear, now that just crazy but also very intresting. i am now offical intrested in the show. Kate has a gun and everyone trusts her.

i'm keep this short becaused i don't want to be side-tracked. The pregant girl, i really like her and i hope her baby survives. i think fat guy fancy her but who knows. imagine what life of baby would be actually being first person born on island.
  • 2nd part

The conclusion for the Pilot was not as good as the 1st part but still breath taking none the least.

In this episode we begin to learn what dire straits the survivors are in when after getting the plane's transceiver they listen to a message of an unkown French woman who seems to have been on the island sixteen years prior, and later we learn that she is still on it.

Overall, a great conclusion to a wonderful Pilot.

• Just a good as the first one. In the first episode you see some of Boone, Shannon, Claire, Jack, Hurley, Sayid, Rose, Kate and alot of the other main charecters. Especially Jack. Which actually does make alot of sence because he is like the now 'IT' chare

I think is the same is greatness as the first episode. I think that there were thigns they could have done to make both better but overall it was still one of those Oh My gosh! Whatis gonna happen next. I am a huge fan of lost and I never miss an episode nowadays. And i think that thye all tie together like if i missed this episode atleast one part of a future episode wouldnt make sence to me.
  • Now that we're here, who the heck are these people? Spoilers herein.

As the last episode focused more on the event of the plane crash along with the introduction of the monster, this episode develops the characters we ran into in the first part. They accomplish this through several combinations of interactions and one major coupling of the group out to see if the transceiver will work. It builds on the foundations we saw in the first hour, showing that there is more to these characters than initially believed.

Of the characters we've met, Hurley is the most likeable. He tries to be helpful and friendly, which allows for some of the lighter moments of the show. What would've been an otherwise serious scene where the Marshall wound starts bleeding is made comic when Hurley slumps over him. Although "the fat guy" is usually a comic figure (or a tough guy), Hurley's humor doesn't come from his weight, but they did have to acknowledge it, via Sawyer's first nickname.

This is the first time we see Jin's skill for fishing, although he still has a way to go to get to the level he is now (episode 34). We also see how protective he is of Sun, demanding she button up the top button of her shirt. Sun defiantly undoes it later, which shows that she is not just some subservient stereotype that she was made up to be in the first half. The writers also wisely excluded the subtitles from them when a non-English speaker was with them. It adds to the wall that these two characters have made.

There is clearly more to Jin than some misogynist with control issues. Although he originally wanted to remain separate from the rest of the tribe, by day 2, he knew he couldn't be alone if they were there for the long term. Therefore, he used his fishing to make peace with them. It gives him a tender moment with Claire, as she feels her baby kicking for the first time since the crash.

Michael is not going to be a candidate for father of the year (but compared to some of the dads we'll see later, Michael's a saint). He loses track of his son, is unable to recall his age and implies that Walt's dog is dead. However, he does care about his son. Walt has been living with his mother, who we find out died recently. Michael is just learning to be a father 10 years after his son’s birth, so I’m cutting him some slack.

Michael's negligence allows Walt to explore, finding the handcuffs, which serve as the catalyst for the main character interactions of the episode. We know these characters have their share of secrets, and having one be criminal and that knowledge public while the identity remains unknown ups the ante. It creates tension between Sayid and Sawyer, as well as revealing a crucial piece of Kate's back story.

Kate being the criminal makes a lot of sense, aside from the shock value. She expressed noticeable concern for the Marshall and the handcuffs when they were found and acted suspicious when Sawyer mentioned he knew there was a Marshall on the plane. When we first saw her, she was limping out of the jungle rubbing her wrists, sore from the cuffs. Her location is very telling: she would want to separate herself from the castaways. It's worth wondering what would've happened to her had Jack not gotten her to fix his wound. Would that have taken her to something the castaways wouldn't find or find sometime later? Despite her criminal past, she doesn't seem entirely dangerous, as she helped the Marshall put on the air mask when he was unconscious.

There are some interesting facts we learn, like Sayid is a former member of the Republican Guard in Iraq (thankfully no soapboxing was done with this). Of course, his appearance causes Sawyer to suspect him of bringing the plane down (a question that hasn’t been asked much since then). Sawyer’s stereotypes also lend a bit to his characterization. However, Sayid isn’t a fanatic, but rather someone who, aside from his fights with Sawyer, acts calmly, and knows technology.

It is fitting that Sawyer's first real scene interacting with the cast is a fight. For the lack of action he had in the first half, he makes up for it in the second. Like Jin, Sawyer isn't initially a likeable character, grating against the other characters, but we can see why he became one: Josh Holloway is charismatic. His remarks antagonize him from the rest of the group, but he’s such a rebel bad boy that we can forgive that. Of course, there is the letter that produces a very un-Sawyer like response out of him, but more about that later.

After being silent for the first hour and a half, we hear Locke speak, in what became a pivotal scene. Backgammon's ancient origins and light vs. dark theme ties into some aspects of Lost. It is also the beginning of Locke and Walt's relationship, which will be a big part of this first season. Also, there is the secret Locke tells Walt. I don't think they ever explicitly say what that is, but we can imply what it was based on something in an upcoming episode.

Charlie's heroin addiction adds to the number of issues facing our castaways. It serves to explain why he really went into the cockpit bathroom and why he bumped into Jack as we saw in the first half of the episode. Charlie's life is much like the second part of the more depressing episodes (or midway through the uplifting ones) of Behind the Music, but is in denial about it.

It is also the beginning of Shannon's arc, where she is told she is useless and her desperate attempts to prove those critics wrong. They do have a point, as Shannon gets some sun while everyone else scours the bags for supplies and relies on trauma to excuse herself from doing anything. She does prove useful by translating the transmission, but she is still reluctant to do it despite being the only one with any practical knowledge of French. It's symbolic that we can still see her bikini underneath her clothes.

This episode shows that there is more to this island than a mysterious monster. Yes, there are polar bears. Polar bears support the theory that this island has been subject to numerous experiments. Then we have the eerie message, which has been playing for sixteen years, that closes the episode. The fact that it is in French adds to the melting pot of the island. Remember that it was only a few hours before that Kate and Charlie were running for their lives from the monster. Now they have more to worry about.

This is a solid continuation of the Pilot, building upon what they laid out first. While those who produce pilots have to go in with the idea that this is likely the only episode that they will do, they assuredly lack closure. Such a rush would've ruined what they established. Luckily, the gamble worked both for the network and for the viewers.

And when did Jack, Kate or Charlie tell Boone the monster ate the pilot? End nitpick.
  • The continuation of introducng the characters.

In this episode we continue to learn about the characters.

They have flashbacks that give a background of each main character. It shows why they were on the plane and what they remember from the accident itself.

They also introduce a danger in this episode. It has a very large monster and is not clearly seen and is left to your imagination which is usually the scariest of all.

This episode is leave you wanting to see the next one anxiously.
  • The plot thickens...

Originally, the Pilot episode was 2 hours long, unfortunately, ABC decided to split the Pilot episode in 2 pieces, thus we got Pilot 1 and Pilot 2.

Even if watched seperately, the episodes definitely deliver - for maximum effect, they should be watched together as the producers intended. The episode further explores character pasts, and introducing some new ones. The survivors soonly realize to get any kind of signal with the transceiver, they will have to go to a higher ground, therefore, another trekking group is formed...

The episode, just like the previous one, had no negative points. Surely, it didn't have earth shattering revealations like Pilot 1, but we get the best shocker of the show yet at the ending which makes the viewer realize this will be one insane round with "Lost".

Overally, another satisfying episode which continues what Pilot 1 started: provides a very strong groundwork for future episodes, and preparing the plotlines to be launched.
  • We still have lots to learn... New characters and new stories.

Previously we discovered some characters´ past life and the story was just beginning to develop. In the jungle, a kid who was looking for his dog, find a pair of handcuffs and we then suppose there is a criminal out there on the island.

Jack, Kate and Charlie come back from the jungle when a fight was taking place between Sawyer and Sayid. At the end, the second one affirms being able to repair the radio transmissor, but it´s necessary to use it in a high place, like a cliff or mountain, in order to have a good reception. Although Jack is not able to go because he has to heal a man with a shrapnel inside his body, Kate decides to go. Shannon, Boone and Charlie join them, and later Sawyer joins too. After a long trek, they hear a noise coming after them, so they start to run imagining what would it be. But Sawyer didn´t move at all and seemed very confident about his actions. When we start to think this man is crazy, he takes out a gun and shoots what we later discover is a polar bear. Despite this unbelievable fact, Kate is more interested in knowing where did Sawyer´s gun came from than the existence of a polar bear on a tropical island. According to Sawyer, he took the gun from the marshal Jack was trying to heal.

After this incident, they finally find an appropiate place to turn on the transceiver, but they´ll soon find out that there is another signal being transmitted... But it´s not an ordinary signal, it´s an S.O.S. which has been repeating the same message for sixteen years... How incredible is this? At least they now know they´re not the only survivors on the island.
  • Another great episode!

This one starts out with us learning a little bit more about Charlie and it turns out that he is a heroin addict. I liked how they overlapped scenes from the first episode to this one. When we see Charlie rushing down the isle in this episode we don’t see much of Jack, but in the first one it was the opposite way around. They also showed what Kate was doing at the time of the accident in midair. I guess they are going to do this for a while. We also find out why Charlie wanted to go and help find the cockpit so bad and what he was doing in the bathroom while Jack and Kate were looking for the transceiver. We also find out that there was a prisoner on the plane and Sayid thinks Sawyer and Sawyer things Sayid is a terrorist they get into a couple fights about it both verbally and physically. It turns out that the seemingly innocent Kate is the prisoner. I can’t wait to find out what it is she did to get in so much trouble and what everyone else is going to do when they find out. Hurley seems like a funny guy. I don’t like Michael very much and he doesn’t seem to know very much about his son that he supposedly cares so much about. The scene in the Jungle where Sawyer kills a polar bear was pretty cool and very strange that there is a polar bear in the place that they are in. It adds a lot of mystery to the already mysterious island and speaking of mystery the ending was very exciting. There are a lot of questions that they left us with along with the ones already mentioned there are others like is the marshal going to tell Jack that Kate is the prisoner and what is John Locke’s story?
  • The second part is just as mysterious as the first

I don't think this episode is as good as the first part but it was another great episode. One thing I really appreciated is that they put the main character Jack to the sideline. We get to know more from the other castaways. The flashbacks this time revolve around Kate and Charlie. From the flashbacks in this episode, we know that Charlie is a drug addict and Kate is a fugitive. The last episode was mainly focused on Jack, Kate and Charlie. This time around, Sayid, Sawyer, Shannon and Boone get more screen time. It keeps the mysterious elements from the first episode and manages to make it even more mysterious. This was an incredible pilot episode.
  • Lost pilot part 2

In the second part of the pilot the group learns they are in deep trouble and could end up like the other group that was trapped on the island 16 years ago I also found the part interesting where we find that Kate was the person with the marshal not the man with the gun and now that the marshal is awake things are going to pick up The group still are trying to find out where they actually are and why a polar bear attacked them but things are getting better as time goes on.
  • We will never have Paris

Sayid is looking for a signal, while Walt is looking for his dog. What they actually find out is a transmission and a secret. -

Overall, this episode was much better than the first one. First of all, we got to learn more about the supporting cast and the exploration of the characters was very well done (I especially liked the twist involving Kate being a fugitive). But what made this episode really special was the introduction of some of the show's many mysteries. The polar bears, the nature of the Monster, the mysterious distress signal etc. were all presented perfectly and, all together, created a superb cliffhanger. Very well done.
  • Sorry, bear

Después de ver "The man from Tallahassee".
    Charlie estaba en el cockpit cuando el avión se hizo pedazos por lo que, corríganme si me equivoco, tendría que haber aterrizado en otra parte de la isla. Y acá aparece el oso polar, que ya tan olvidado está. Él,junto al tiburón, son parte de un misterio todavía no develado. Saldrán de la caja mágica de Ben? Jaja. Shannon no era un gran personaje, Michael tampoco. Y lo del monstruo que mata gente, tiene que estar involucrado con la iniciativa Dharma, de alguna u otra manera. Qué fue de Rose y Bernard? Qué fue del duro de Jin?
  • Intriguing secrets, cult scenes, fascinating character connections and funny scenes

When part one was mostly about introducing Jack and all the characters revolving around him, part two focused more on Kate and Charlie. Secrets were revealed in the past episode and some of them are partially solved. Indeed a puzzle is not only made up by one piece. Moreover it seems other characters also have secrets. So when part one was scary at times the second uses more mystery elements. But fantasy ones are also covered and a scene in the jungle should really surprise you. In fact it's probably in most fans top 5 list. Let's also not forget the cult and ambivalent scene with John Locke and Walt. About Charlie his story is interesting and some people should be able to relate to him but I think the actor did a poor job. Kate has a complete different story even if they obviously have things in common. We learn more about her crash experience and her relationship with an other character. I specially enjoyed that she wasn't just all black or white. Moreover when the beach scene could have been cheesy the writers had the great idea of using Sun. Her tense and complex relationship with her husband Jin brings so much to the show. Sawyer and Sayid also have a few scenes. We soon understand that they're all connected. For example when two of them decide to go on a little adventure others soon follow. It was specially interesting to see Shannon reacting to Boon's comment, her brother. Last but not least the episode was also surprisingly funny and some scenes should make you laugh out loud.
  • This episode shows us the other reasons Lost will become the great show it is: flashbacks, twists, and interpersonal group-dynamic drama. SPOILERS FOLLOW:

Where the first hour of the Lost pilot set the situation, scenery, and tone of the series, this hour would establish perhaps the best innovation of the show: using flashbacks to inform the present story. Finding out that Kate is a fugitive, and that Charlie is a user not only leads us to second-guess everyone's motives, but it also lends an out-of-the-frying-pan-and-into-the-fire tragic air to the series.

This episode features so many strong moments. The musical score during the hike wonderfully evokes those great '70s exotic adventure 70's TV themes. The many group scenes during the hike are expertly staged, giving each character something to do within the scene; this is a skill that Lost would at times have difficulty returning to. These group scenes are particularly interesting since our ostensible hero, Jack, isn't present for them. Finally, the final shot, with the title card following Charlie's iconic question, is such an elegant and 'meta' moment, and is only somewhat spoiled by the introduction of the title card at the end of the first part of the pilot (you can tell the creators design the episodes as a two-hour experience, and were forced by ABC to insert the title after the first hour only when the pilot had been broken up by the network).

There are a couple of false starts in this episode. I'm glad to see that not every character has Hurley's difficulty grasping that Sayid is an Iraqi--the scene actually felt like it was for OUR benefit, as in, 'we wanted to trust Sayid during his confrontation with Sawyer, but shiver-me-timbers, he really IS Iraqi, and maybe a spy!' It's interesting that today's (4th season's) Sawyer and Sayid would both be much less affected, and less likely to be engaged, by idle accusations.

This is an honorable episode of Lost, marred only by the fact that it doesn't have a gorgeous seven-and-a-half minute rescue sequence. I present this episode with 4.5 out of 5 Smokeys.
  • There's a fight...I could write a whole review on that. Oh, and there's a weird French transmission...yeah...never did like the French.

Well, after the opener I was expecting "PILOT PART 2" to open in full swing of adventure and mystery, but instead what do we get? A fight between Sayid and Sawyer. From this character difining moment we are given tiny moments of Kate and Charlie's pasts, and another show-stealing moment from Terry O'Quinn's icy character, Locke, who seems to have a fixation with the island, Walt and backgammon. The sub-plot with the man with the shrapnel was just what the episode needed for Jack and Hurley, and made for one of the show's two cliffhangers. Meanwhile, the discovery of a French transmission by a group of hikers may leave the audience wondering what on Earth will happen next. All in all a briliant second episode, and one to watch in the future.
  • One of the freakiest Wtf ending scenes in TV history in my humble opinion.

This episode was heavy on the character development because it was obviously going to be a catalyst for the rest of the season and the rest of the series. It did that magnificently and also had some serious head-scratching mysteries near the ending.

Strengths
    -Sun's defiance of Jin when she unbuttoned her top button.
    -Jin trying to give food to Hurley was comedic gold.
    -Jin's look when Claire had him feel her belly.
    -Great work done by Josh Holloway as Sawyer. Very convincing. Had some hilarious lines with things like "Bear Village" and "I just shot a freakin' bear."
    -Seeing the polar bear in Walt's comic book.
    -The whole moment when you realized there was a polar bear on a tropical island.
    -The awesome last scene with Shannon reading what she heard from the radio. Loved the ominous voice of the guy reading the numbers.

Weaknesses
    -Some of the character development scenes could've been a bit better.

Overall, I was extremely pleased with this episode.
  • Better

This episode was a slight improvement on the pilot episode, and would serve the show well in drawing new viewers’ in. as suspenseful as the first was an added excitement of the revealing of the polar bear. There is more character development and gives the viewers more mysteries and theory’s to discuss
  • "Guys, where are we?"

After the previous pilot and the mass chaos that ensued from the plane crash, part two of the lost Pilot features largely on getting to know some of the characters better, while still pushing the main plot forward.

In this episode characters are given more air-time, they're on screen longer, they're lines double the size of what they were, and they're own storyline at introductory stages.

We learn that rock-star bassist Charlie does infact live the rock & roll lifestyle and is something of a drug addict. Child Walt's mother died a few weeks ago. Claire's baby is still in good condition and infact living, and most shockingly, Kate is a criminal and was in handcuffs pre-plane crash.

For the duration of the episode Jack retains the title of Hero, and spends most of the episode still running around seeing to the aid of others. It doesnt quite have the same effect this episode however, and just feels a retread. Granted there's still injured, but his scenes this episode were far from interesting or enjoyable. Thankfully Locke and Hurley did the complete opposite, their lines both brilliant. Who says a desert island plane crash can't be funny?

Elsewhere, after finding the transceiver in the previous episode, a gang of the survivors go on a hike in search of getting a signal. They do, and with it come's the biggest shock of the season so far ( not that hard to aquire). The transceiver picks up a SOS message from nearby. It's in French, but after some teamwork, it's soon revealed that it is a cry for help, and it's from 16 years ago.

A huge plot twist, like the plane-crash survivors, we too as viewers are Lost. But i'm sure it's a hell of a lot more enjoyable for us, and the season can only get better! :)
  • The second part of the pilot episode picks up right where the first left off.

This show keeps on rolling. Only in the second episode and everything is already starting to pick up pace and keep you on the edge of your seat. This show grabs you right from the start and doesn't let go until the Lost logo flashes on the screen when its over.

Pilot part 2 was another great episode. I love the way the show is being handled so far. It gets right to the point. We're shown that some of the survivors have secrets that they are trying to keep and the mysterious noise in the woods would kill me if I were on that island.

I like the character of Sayid. I thought it was good to show Sawyer accusing him of being a terrorist. It made the show feel real as that is something that would probably happen. The more tension, the better this show will be. However, Sayid looks to be a very smart and resourceful man who will be instrumental in helping everyone survive. I look forward to seeing where the show takes him.
  • With the survivors settled, the leaders focus on getting rescued.

After the first half of The Pilot, Lost gets rolling with the structure that will take us through the rest of the season. The episode starts a little slow, and very methodically. The characters come up with two plans: find the transceiver on the airplane and use it to find a signal.

The trip to the cockpit introduces the "monster" that lives on the island. After some good suspense, we eventually learn that there is another person or persons on the island, which is not shocking really, and I predicted this from the very beginning. The message that the woman delivers is still a fun way to close the episode, and leave things hanging for next time.

This episode definitely has its moments and it begins to introduce the idea that the island they are on is not totally natural. The appearance of a polar bear and the "monster" both help to show this. All in all, another great showing for Lost.
  • The second hour of the pilot.

In this, the second hour of the two hour pilot episode, we see how the show is going to work. We'll see some live action followed by some flashbacks to show the characters' back story.

So far, we know that Kate is tied to the federal marshall who's life Jack is trying to save. I loved how we, the audience thinks that Kate is this good, girl-next door whom Jack is falling for, meanwhile, it turns out that she is some sort of criminal, though we don't know why as of yet.

We also saw some odd moments as far as "the monster" goes. Who knows where that will lead. I had heard that the show is a little odd, but I didn't know the "odd" things occurred this early on.
  • Sawyer: "I saw a guy lying there with an ankle holster so I took the gun. I thought it might come in handy. Guess what? I just shot a bear!"

In flashbacks, it is revealed that Charlie was doing heroin in the plane's bathroom right before the crash. He, Kate, and Jack return to the main camp with the radio transmitter. Jack must now attend to the air marshall, who was wounded in the crash and requires medical attention. Sayid and Kate decide to take the radio transmitter into the jungle and up to a higher elevation in order to boost the signal. They are joined by Shannon and Boone, who are brother and sister and fight constantly. They are also joined by Charlie and Sawyer. While in the jungle, a polar bear, of all things, runs to attack them. Sawyer promptly pulls out a pistol and shoots it dead. It is revealed that he took the gun off the air marshall. Once they've reached higher elevation, they check the radio, but are unable to sent any signals because another signal is being sent from close by. It is in French, and Shannon translates it. "I'm alone now, it killed them all," the message says. Sayid does some calculations and figures out the message has been playing on a loop for 16 years...

Many important things happen in this episode, namely being the discovery of the polar bear, finding out that Charlie is a drug adict, and hearing the French Woman's strange signal. The second part of the Pilot establishes more key points than the first, but still focuses on getting to know the characters. For example, we find out that Sawyer (Josh Holloway) is a complete jerk, that Sayid (Naveen Andrews) is an Iraqi, and through a flashback we also find out that Kate (Evangeline Lilly) was the fugitive who the air marshall was escorting. This episode has plenty of action in it, and sets up more of the key mysteries that Lost loves to leave us with.
  • The second half of the pilot is superior to the first because it addresses more of the characters

In the first half of the Pilot episode, we see mostly Jack, Kate, and Charlie. In the second half, as the characters struggle to repair and use the tranceiver found in the plane's cockpit, we get to see more of some of the supporting characters. The most notable of these is Sawyer (Josh Holloway), whom we saw only for a few seconds in the first hour of the Pilot, who is destined to become one of the show's most popular characters. He's a real jerk, but somehwere in there, there's a deeper story.

We witness the plane crash in flashback again, twice, from Kate and Charlie's points of views. Jack, our "fearless leader" from hour 1, sits this one out a little bit, but Kate's and Charlie's backstories continue to grow exponentially. (We learn Kate is a prisoner, and Charlie is a drug addict.)

The other characters we learn most about are Sayid (Naveen Andrews), an Iraqi technician, Boone (Ian Somerhalder) and Shannon (Maggie Grace), a whiny young brother and sister who seem rather uninteresting at the moment, and Locke (Terry O'Quinn), who they probably avoid telling us much about intentionally. Locke is definately the most creepy of the Lostaways, and the friendship he is forming with young Walt (Malcolm David Kelley) could mean trouble.

We still haven't seen much of the Korean couple (Daniel Dae Kim and Yunjin Kim), or Walt and his father (Harold Perrineau). The pregnant Claire (Emilie de Ravin) and comic genius Hurley (Jorge Garcia) also remain suspiciously out of focus, but there's still a whole season to meet these characters, so not to worry.

While Sayid, Kate, Charlie, Sawyer, Boone and Shannon go off to get the tranceiver to work, Jack stays behind with the badly wounded man (Fredric Lane), who actually turns out to be a US Marshal escourting Kate back to the United States. Sawyer (who appears to be pilfering from everyone he can), has stolen his gun, and believe me, he's not the kind of person you want armed.

The island mysteries continue, as our tranceiverists learn that there is a distress beacon set up somewhere on the island that has been playing for 16 years and has never been answered. Could the French woman who recorded it still be alive? Also, a POLAR BEAR is discovered on the island, which makes for a great (albeit confusing) addition to the island's mysterious nature.

FINAL SCORE: 9.1
    SUMMARY: Provides more mysteries and more character development than the first hour, and also makes for an interesting lead into the main body of the series. Lost has officially begun.
  • Seguía su mala suerte, era evidente

"Were are we?" pregunta Charlie y ya no hay vuelta atrás. Todos sabemos que de ahora en más todo esfuerzo será en vano. Las peleas entre Boone y Shannon, los celos de Jin, la angustia de Michael por el rechazo de Matt, el heroísmo de Jack, el hijo de Claire, todo es en vano.

Me aventuro a adentrarme en la historia haciendo una especie de diario de uno de los sobrevivientes (pongámosle de nombre Jean):

Día 2

La bestia se fue. El mar nos entrega y nos quita, nos atrapa. Soñé con garras blancas y gigantescos pájaros negros que volaban sobre mí. Siento que comienzo a perder la posibilidad de distinguir entre realidad y mind tricks. Escribo esto sentado sobre un pedazo de hierro chamuscado (una parte de un ala?). Donde estoy? Donde estamos?
  • Lots of Character developemet.........

I liked this episode, it wasn't bad at all. We find out so much information about all the castawys.
    Right at the start we see charlie have a flashback showing that he's a junkie.
    We see that Jin has control over Sun and they're relationship is rocky.
    We also see that Sayid was a soilder and that Mike and Walt are not close. They hardly know eachother.
    In the episode, we see Sayid, Shannon, Boone, Sawyer, Kate and Charlie go up the mountains to get a signal for the transeivor.
    Jack struggles to save the Marshel's life, the Marshell who we find out was taking Kate as a prisoner.
    In this episode we see the initial bonding of Locke and Walt. One big mystery of the episode was that a polar bear appeared.
    It charged down the hikers and Sawyer shot it. They discover it's apolar bear and they all wonder what such a thing is doing here.
    In the end when they get a signal on the transceiver, their is a distriss signal. It is from a mysterious french woman who they find out was on the island, but never saved.
    We find out how mysterious the island really is.
< 1 2 3