Pilot (2)

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Sep 29, 2004 on ABC

• Here is where we are!

Covering the grounds of the first adventure of Lost is simple. Jack was designed to die, you can tell the moment where he was supposed to be killed through the Pilot character. This character and Jack share a connection because of this. When we see the body of the pilot we are supposed to be looking at the protagonist. This was initially planned as a shock narrative twist, one that the writers will more than make up for throughout the shows next six years. The writers were kind enough to leave these seeds strewn through the pilot; notice that Jack went to pilot school? Because of the intense focus on the pilot, it's fitting the pilot is called well... "Pilot". Getting back onto the focus of this episode, the episode focuses on interactions. Shannon, the paris Hilton character, gives the show the iconic image of sunbathing in the wreckage. John Locke plays Backgammon with Walt. A game based on SENET which no one has ever been able to understand the full rules off. The writers will latter return to this and it will serve as a narrative plot in the latter seasons But this review isn't designed to spoil anything past the episode I am reviewing. One bit on analysis I will add; is the Hurley + Jack, blood scene. Hurley is a television buff, he is unhealthily obese. The writers designed this character around the personality of the actor. Now the first thing everyone expected was that this character would lose weight throughout. However to do this, the actor would have to take a major life-style change and so the character wouldn't be the one to "fill the role of the audience". Which is what he serves as; especially in any of the heavy sci-fi parts (this is a sci-fi show btw). So anyway, to focus on his character (since there is no Hurley centric until latter this Season – minor spoiler). The sight of blood makes him cringe, yet being a major television fan this strikes odd. What we can deduce is that he is used to watching bloodless shows with bloodless fights so often, he has forgotten how the human body acts. Lost in its first Season does its best to integrate itself with medical reality. Which it really is forced to do when the Polar bear shows up and drifts the show away from reality. Charlie; "where are we". LOST has begun.