Lost

Recon

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Mar 16, 2010 on ABC

• Ben Linus should not even exist in the flashsideways, They also keep mixing in boring eps. like this one w/ more interesting ones like Sundown. But my biggest gripe is that in this late game they keep messing up the timeline!

1.5
    So they no longer do recaps, they obviousely have given up on getting new viewers. But the Tv.com is right on the money w/ these lazy missteps by the producers. I noticed them and was a bit distracted, but after four missteps in the final season of one of the greatest shows ever produced its a bit frustrating. The producers put so much energy in putting little tid bits of info. or mystery in the backdrop of almost every ep. why they would'ntc the windows 2007, Alex being 15, or the school season being off. Thats nitpicking and I can forgive this or even defend it. But the fact that Ben Linus is even alive in the flash sideways and wasnt destroyed in the blast when the main Lostees set off Jughead before coming back to 2007 baffles me?
    Since the Locke centrick ep. we have steadily not gotten any answers to what happend to the folks left on the island, nor why there showing the alt. reality to begin with, and am losing my patience with these storylines. I see Josh holloway LOST a few lbs. since last seen 4 eps. back. Guess he had to get in shape for the dramatic chops he had show off by being in bed w/ those hotties. (Charlotte you, and fans deserved better i.e. Dan. Faraday:( But I thought the Kate/ Sawyer love thing was over, now after a few days in the jungle cryin over JJJUULIEEEETT he now wants freckles back. Thats my only gripe about Lost. the obssesion with Kate and Sawyer (Jack is cool in my book) They are not that hot, and thier stories are even less interesting. At this late stage I dont wanna see Katwyer go all gooey for one another nor do I wanna see some built up mystery only to be something really forgettable, or minor i.e. Kate giving up Aaron, Sawyer whispering to Kate about his daughter. I mean did they really have to go through all that to keep Jack out of thier little club for 2. Speaking of which, my final thought is Jack deserves better than Kate and her stupid mind games and once again at this late stage in the game noone should be safe from the reaper, not even the treasured 3, give us a surprise and have Kate step on some dynamite in front of Sawyer. You can still always have her laying in his bed in the sidewaysverse.
  • James Ford .

Sawyer should be consider on best Actors in any T.V show ! , imagine that he have a show Called F.B.I it's will be so great ! . i just love his angry face no matter what you will be afraid . as always we admire Locke and his AMAZING performance , when he slap Clarie you just amaze how is he so Cold . and his scene with Kate and his story was really speechless. and sawyer is really one hell of good lair !!! . he can play it in both side without any damn Fear . 10/10 .
  • Filler filler filler

Don't get me wrong : I'm not expecting big reveals every week, not even in this last season. As long as the script is funny or touching, I'm fine. Sadly, this week, the flash-sideways were just pointless ( you could have told Detective Ford was looking for "Sawyer" from the moment Cooper's name was mentioned, really ) , and the island storyline was just positioning the pawns for the endgame. Nothing as touching as Jack's talk with his son, or Ben's confession to Ilana. Sawyer's one of my favorite characters on Lost, and I didn't care for any version of him this time. Some little moments were worth the watch ( Sawyer not buying Zoey's con, memories from the bear cages,the Little House on the Prairie scene ) , but not much. My first big disappointment of the season ...
  • *** Spoiler-free *** Intriguing island arc, twisted and inspiring urban story, convincing acting, surprising relationships and wicked dialogs

Widmore was obviously doing a little recon in his submarine at the end of Dr. Linus so this episode was obviously about that new arc. It was really unexpected and when I heard his name I instantly thought that his daughter Penny or even Desmond would be around. But Recon featured Sawyer and it's definitely a good thing considering how interesting the character is and how Josh Holloway performance has been convincing so far. Moreover there was something intriguing and ironic about an ex-con doing recon for Locke and his team. With Jack on the other side and now Widmore things are really getting intense. A good and evil battle already sounded epic but now there're three opponents to bet on. Show time !

One arc logically took place on the island with Sawyer, Black Locke, Kate and the others. The scenes between our two ex-lover birds were delightful because they brought many sweet and sad memories. One of them was well filmed and the smooth editing really contributed to make these moments memorable. One minute Swayer thinks about Kate, the next you see her musing in the jungle. These are the little details you have to pay attention to if you want to comprehend how great this 6th and last season actually is. As for the story itself it was excellent and we even got to learn more about the relationship between Locke, Kate and Claire. These women shared some very emotional moments and I hope the young mother will meet her daughter again one day. For the moment it sounds like an impossible mission but with Kate everything is possible. As for Sawyer I enjoyed his unpredictable behavior as always and wonder if the characters he lied to know it or not.

The other arc occurred in the city with the Sawyer we all know but with a twist. The beginning was very surprising and the WOW Factor™ of the scenes was really high. In fact I instantly jaw dropped when what was going on was revealed. However now that I think about it the writers could have imagined many other ways to amaze the audience. It's peace of cake when you have the best con in your show. As for the story itself it was quite inspiring, as much as Ben or Kate one. Think and act. Take the right decision, or wrong direction. It's like if these urban legends were metaphoras of what the island characters want. Like John in he Substitute, Sawyer collided with other characters. These encounters and relationships greatly contributed to make him grow on us even more.

Recon was a unique episode with an irresistible LaFleur flavor and dozens of elements to explore. When it ended I instantly wanted to watch it again because I knew I missed some things. Indeed many dialogs were very powerful and you never really know if the characters tell the truth or not. Last but not least the last scenes were quite intriguing so waiting for the upcoming episode will definitely test your patience.
  • It's been four long, arduous weeks since last we spent some quality time with one Mr. James Ford and frankly, it's shown.

It's been four long, arduous weeks since last we spent some quality time with one Mr. James Ford and frankly, it's shown. For all 'Dr. Linus' and 'Sundown' prove to be strong, capable episodes in their own right, pushing the arc plot along nicely and unloading a whackload of tension on us to boot, there has been something missing from the scripts, a minor hole where Josh Holloway's furrowed, insult-spouting brow should be. It's something of an understatement to say that his episodes are generally some of the best that Lost has to offer; you only have to look at last season's superlative 'LaFleur' for evidence of that. The character is so inherently intriguing, so pleasingly rich and complex, that he's effectively overflowing with possibility. And of course, Holloway's portrayal is always perfectly pitched, expertly marrying ruthlessness with heart to create someone truly human. It should come as little surprise, then, that 'Recon' is an effortlessly solid episode, managing to maintain considerable momentum through the integration of a captivating flash-sideways with the ever-expanding on-Island soiree.

Thankfully, once again, our latest glimpse into life without the plane crash proves to be laden with contradictory tidbits and interesting dramatic decisions. For all the character beats essentially remain the same, as we Sawyer in the throes of trying desperately to locate that sorry SOB Anthony Cooper, 'Recon' manages to disguise its potential redundancy by turning the minutiae on their collective head. This is an altogether fresh approach to the Sawyer storyline, as we see Ford living a life, not of crime, but of law and order, working to bust those duplicitous con artists and protect those that might be hurt as a result of their activities. It's certainly a fascinating and entirely logical notion that James would essentially be faced with a choice, that the dark secrets of his past would pull him one way or the other. What's crucial, however, is that his father's homicide/suicide informs the very fibre of his being, that it transforms him into the person we see struggling to make up for the event, to do something about it, to make himself feel like he can, in some way, eke out his revenge. And for all it may seem like he is living a better life in this reality, that whatever changed the course of events has led him to a more law-abiding and therefore fulfilling existence, the script still makes a point of highlighting the melancholy of his plight. He may be living a more moral life, but it's certainly no less troubled. It's a parallel that may be central to every flash-sideways; in fact, it may be their central motif. Are Lindelof and Cuse trying to demonstrate that the Losties' lives are better together, better for the tragic nature of their collective encounter?

Whatever the allegory, there's no doubt that this is all particularly powerful stuff. Our opening flash-sideways sequence is an absolute treat, playing off beats that effectively form the backbone of this character's plot arc (the money falling out of the case, the 'you weren't supposed to see that', even the rebuke form guest star Jodi Lynn O'Keefe, a.k.a. Psycho Gretchen from Prison Break) and then side-swiping the viewer with that deliciously unexpected reveal. As we lapse so easily into the comfortability offered by these minutiae, the twist has an even greater impact, which, in turn, enriches the quality of the story. Then, we have the inclusion of Miles; by this point, I've learned to stop questioning the presence of all of these ancillary characters and simply embrace them for the serendipitous opportunities that they provide. Plus, these guys work so well together that it's a joy to see them given more screen time; their chemistry is so damn palpable, it's hard to know whether Straum is going to punch or kiss Sawyer when he throws him up against a wall. Of course, the latter would probably put something of a spanner in the works vis a vis the development of Sawyer's potential relationship with good ol' Charlotte - it's very nice to see Rebecca Mader again - who provides an interesting contrast to the other women in Ford's life and, refreshingly, rebukes him after his unwarranted outburst. You need to do a damn sight better than a crate of beer and a sunflower to impress this gal, mister. However this develops, the coupling is an intriguing one and works well, though how this will play with Farraday (who you know is just around the corner) is anybody's guess...

On-Island, dramatic developments continue apace as Sawyer becomes the first of our candidates to interact with the newly-arrived Widmore Sub Crew. Ford's visit to Hydra Island is a nice little nostalgia trip, allowing the production crew to linger lovingly on those bloody cages from season three, and that horrible dress that Kate was once forced to wear too. It seems the suggestion is being made that there may still be something between Austen and Sawyer, particularly given that they feature prominently at hour's end, with Holloway promising to set Smokey against Charles to allow the two of them to escape, and quite literally running into her on the mean streets of LA in his flash-sideways. Still, this isn't the most interesting aspect of this narrative component, oh no. That honour goes to the presence of Alan Dale, who manages to turn a scene in which he has a minimal amount of dialogue into one of the most meaningful sequences in the episode. This guy really is brilliant, knowing exactly when and where to pitch his most crucial emotional beats. The essential substance of all of this is fascinating too: is Widmore's purpose here to eradicate Smokey? Does he wish to control the Island in Jacob's absence? What, essentially, is his plan?

Undoubtedly, these are questions that will be answered in the weeks to come, along with the
    all-important issue of unLocke's potential existence in the outside world and exactly what in the holy Hell is going on with Claire and Sayid. The former appears to be the dictionary definition of schizophrenic, holding Kate's hand one minute and attempting to stab her in the neck the next, while Jarrah's eerie calmness and reticence while Austen is under peril is just plain weird. Kudos to Naveen Andrews for successfully putting the proverbial willies (so to speak) up every single member of the viewing audience. Oh, and speaking of creepy, just what is up with the idea that Smokey has a mother? All this talk of deranged women is patently bizarre... are we going to be subjected to some sort of Black Smoke flashback/sideways/semi-circle at some point?

'Recon' is very much a transitionary episode, setting the wheels in motion for the implementation of a number of saliant narrative points: Widmore's return to the Island, Smokey's attempts to escape, Claire and Sayid's bats**t craziness. All of this is wonderfully intriguing and pointedly structured so that, when coupled with a thematically familiar but intricately different 'what if...?' storyline, it creates a deliciously filling and rewarding whole. It also contains an absolute whackload of Josh Holloway which, frankly, can only be a bloody good thing. Another triumph
  • Island part : nothing happened Flash sideaway: awesome

I think this was the lowest point of this season . The whole point of this episode was to know a little more about Sawyer's plan , but it was Sawyer going to Hydra , a little talk with Widmore , back to Un-Locke for a little chat and sitting near the fire with Kate , that's it , nothing revealing at all.The only good thing of the island part was Claire attacking Kate and their bonding emotional moment they had near the end. On the other hand , I really enjoyed the flash-cautionary tale- side away of Sawyer.I really liked Sawyer as a cop , he is exactly the same person we know expect he has a badge and he makes a good team with Miles.Too bad things didn't work with Charlotte but I guess there is where Kate comes in. I am getting worried about the lack of answers with only 10 episodes to go , but J.J and Damon never dissapointed us so I guess answers will come in it's due time , let's just hope we don't run out of it.
  • The most surprising side story yet as far as I'm concerned. Sawyer's character in the side time line was a shocker when they showed him as a cop but still haunted by the murder of his parents.

The most surprising side story yet as far as I'm concerned. Sawyer's character in the side time line was a shocker when they showed him as a cop but still haunted by the murder of his parents and on a revenge mission still.

It was great to see the character still the same in some respects such as when he got angry when Charlotte found the book in his draw.

If Jacob had not got involved you can see how it would have ended up and in this time line Sawyer is not cured of his revenge obsession but did chose the right thing to do - being a cop although a very lonely one but his partner Miles does want the best for him.

The island story wasn't as good, Locke and Kate have a few interesting scenes and I really do feel sorry for Kate as she was kind of very alone in that episode as all her friends had left or turned to the darkside so to speak. Was great to see Sawyer lining up a plan to escape with her though!

Great episode and one of my favourite so far in the show.
  • Cop Story? Nothing New? Sawyer without a shirt? Lame, lame, lame.

Probably the most boring episode of LOST since Nikki & Paulo. Nothing happens on the island that we didn't already know of, and off the island, Sawyer's story was the exact same, except he plays in a really bland and typical cop story. Maybe it's just my bias, but Sawyer's character stopped being interesting in season 3. I think they're only keeping him alive at this point to carry on the even more lame love triangle. At least in Jack's bizzaro world, there were some questions raised and things happened that left me wanting to know more about his sideways back story, but this episode was summed up for me like this: Lame, lame, lame. Thank God this is the last Sayer-centric episode of the series.
  • Sawyer-centric episode though not one of the best in my opinion.

Episode was ok I agree.

Hey I have had this theory about MIB and Jacob for some seasons now - want to share it with you geeks - please tell me what you think:

According to Islamic tradition, a sailor gets lost in awful weather and finds himself on a strange island. On the beach he comes across a big black hairy beast-like creature that points him in the direction of a man, chained on the island. The man in chains asks the sailor whether certain events have come to pass - when he is informed that they haven't he tells the sailor it is not his time to leave yet. The sailor eventually returns to the Holy Prophet of Islam (peace be upon him) and recounts the story - the Prophet (pbuh) informs him and those around that that person was indeed the Dajjal or the Anti-Christ.

So I am intrigued that Locke is in the hotseat in the Last Supper shot. I reckon Locke is a Dajjal-like Anti-Christ person imprisoned on the island, and that Jacob is his guardian, given almost angel-like status, with the ability to travel in space-time as he pleases. However, because Dajjal is cunning, he usually finds a way to kill the guardian, but each time the guardian finds a suitable "candidate" to replace him. The Black Rock and Flights 815 and 316 are just like the sailor 1400 yrs ago, bringing groomed candidates.

Eventually Dajjal will get out and wreack havock on earth. According to Islamic tradition, he will be given the power to bring the dead to life again. So my theory continues that the sideways timeline is one which plays out to Locke getting his way and promising each of the people that he will make things better for them and resurrect Flight 815. I reckon the final battle will not take place on the island but in the sideways timeline where Jack will somehow capture Locke again and return him to the island, where they will have to stay for a much longer time. This sort of makes sense as Jack and Locke have been the main protagonists since the beginning, and seem to have evolved into MIB and Jacob over time.

So guys what do you think - crazy or substantial theory?
  • Saywer centric

So.. Sawyer centric episodes have, in mu opinion, always been from one side to another.. there has been really good ones but this one was sadly not the best. I most say.. the story was going on very slowly and in the end - where that episode directed us? What it gave to us? I do not feel much.

I did liked the whole "alternative" Sawyer thing.. being policeman and how it all started.. he saying he is police and that woman not believing him and then.. he really is. Great twist. And the whole thing with Little House on the Prairie was funny.. so..

But things on the island. Not that I feel confused about the Locke but.. somehow.. it did not caught me.
  • Forgt review this one. It was a decent episode.

Damn I forgot to review this episode last week, gonna be harder to remember what happened now. Oh look I'm already stalling. Recon was a decent episode of Lost wasn't the best or the worst of the season, the flash sideways where the highlights of the episode with Sawyer turning out to be a cop didnt see that coming and it was cool to see Miles alternate life as well. Plus the return of another familiar face this time Charlotte a bit of a pointless part of the episode but still good to see another character back, feel like the writers are teasing us though we want Dan, Charlie and Juliet damn it. Other than the flashes the episode was pretty weak with poor continuity from the previous episode why was widmore on Hydra Island when he was on the other side of the island in the previous episode.
  • Setup episode...

Kate is confused about everything just as I am with Claires Crazyness, Sayid Weirdness and Locke mysteries.

Sawyers go to the Hydra Station meets with Charles widmore and makes a deal with him and Locke. But his true intentios are other... Use the sub to escape with Kate.

The most interesting scene in the episode was when Locke talk about his past and then he mentioned Aaron. I wonder if thats a hint of Aaron's connection to the island?

The flashside way showed us annother Sawyer ( Cop one ) but the same one ( lier one) struggling in his job lying to everyone looking for his dad's killer.

In my opinion the story was cool But for the first time I REALLY wanted to Be more on the island I felt that very little happened in the island. (in comparation with last episode Dr.Linus that even few things happen it was full of emotion and character development.) We just found out Sawyer's intentions. We still dont know How Charles found the island (which was MOVED for that same reason) and whats the story between him and Bad Locke. Also Is Claire crazyness gone? ( i hope so she need to team up with kate to destroy LOCKE!)

Well I give the episode an 8.5 because I love Lost and I know that next episode will be amazing? One thing i must say... Is Bad Locke really Bad? what if all this time we've been seeing everything from the wrong side? who knows...
  • Don't be quick to criticize. A lot more happened than you think.

Don't be too quick to criticize "Recon." Yes this episode was a bit more slow-paced but don't let that fool you. There are three fundamental flaws I see in the critical reviews so far. 1. The flash sidewards are being seen as pointless 2. The who cares mentality 3. They Lost finale is being judged as seemingly unfavorable with only 8 episodes left

1. The flash sidewards are pointless? Wrong. The flash-sidewards have everything to do with character development and if you are an intelligent viewer, you can appreciate the complexity of this. Sawyer, as with the other characters in their episodes, is being judged on how much of his character remains the same if the bomb went off in 1977. Sawyer may have taken the path of a police officer in this alternative reality, but at the core of things he still wants to kill the man responsible for the murder/suicide of his parents. Sawyer still maintains the same burning desire for revenge that he has in the main reality. So far the message has been, Kate, Jack, Locke, Sayid, Linus, and Sawyer may have taken different paths, but they still maintain their same characteristics to their core. This is the bigger, overall message that so many people seem to be missing that going or not going to the island changes what they do but not who they are. And for those of you who don't like to read between the lines *and there are many* the writers will tie these flash-sideways together with the main reality. Whether you will understand this or not remains unseen.

2. The who cares mentality? A review below me asked if back in 2004 if I, meaning the "Lost" fan cared about Widmore or the candidate, or any of the aspects now back in 2004. And I'll answer this with "how could I? Back in 2004, I had no idea what I would be seeing now. But now that I have seen Widmore, the candidate aspect, the flash-sideways, ect. Obviously I didn't care then because I didn't know but I care now because I can appreciate how the writers made "so many changes" and those changes were which were 99% fascinating and connected so well to the regular storyline and still managed to bring the plot full circle come season 6. If I was able to predict this show back in 2004, I probably would not be watching it now. The fact that I never have been able to predict the direction of this show makes it a privilege to tune into Lost every week.

3. Predicting the final as unfavorable before it happens. Stop. Just stop. I remember being on the Lost message boards during Season 3 where critical fans were saying the same things. "I'm not liking the direction the writers are taking this so I don't think the season finale is going to suck." Then bam-Through the Looking Glass came and the those same critics were worshiping the ground those writers walked on. Don't even pretend to predict how the series finale will be because you don't know. If Through the Looking Glass taught us anything it's that the writers have the ability to misdirect millions of fans and throw out a worthwhile surprise. You have know idea how it will come together until it comes together.

"Recon" was another piece to the puzzle for the much anticipated file in which it brought Sawyer's character full circle and setup the shape of things to come. Here we have Smokey, Jacob (well Jacob's influence from the dead) and Widmore, the all along, three powerful forces on the island thus creating three paths for the survivors to take. I see a pattern of threes here. Lost fans once knew Jack, Locke and later Sawyer as prominent leader figures. Those who have tried to lead the island in the past were not successful. I predict that the island can never be lead, though many a man may have tried. Can't wait till next week's episode!
  • Very Cool Beginning, Setup Feel, Subtle Clues

Recon was a very good episode as tension continues to build between these characters. Alright who saw the opening moment coming?! Sawyer as a cop playing a conman was a spectacular and surprising opening. The flash-sideways in this episode was really good as we meet many more old faces such as Miles, Charlotte, Charlie's brother Liam, and Kate who at the end in a great twist is caught by Sawyer. I don't know if people are seeing it (and I don't think the ones who wrote most of the reviews so far are) but the FS stories are really beginning to come together and the clue of that is that many of the characters' plots are beginning to closely intertwine; i.e. Jin and Sayid and Kate and Sawyer. Somehow the island timeline and this timeline will intertwine and I believe the impatient ones will really hate it that they weren't more patient when that great moment in LOST history takes place.

In my mind, this episodes'on-island was on equal leveling with the flash-sideways and normally I believe the island timeline storylines are better;Not because the FS timeline was that much greater and not because the island timeline was that worse than other weeks (because to me the character tension between Locke, Kate, Sayid, and Claire was really good mixed with the many reveals of Hydra Island) but because I felt this was a setup episode for episode 10 which is after episode 9: Ab Aeterno which I believe will be flash-back (look up the meaning of the term "Ab Aeterno" to see why)

Also there are many subtle clues in this episode that I think viewers should take note of. For one Flocke/MIB: I truly believe that this entity represents evil but the writers are doing a very good job to make us believe otherwise. The reason for this is that he knows JUST how to use people's weaknesses against them. As fervent LOST viewers we know what the characters' weak or vulnerable points are. Last week the MIB visited Ben and offered him power, the one thing that makes him bug-eyed, manipulative, homicidal Ben. This week I believe he is pulling Kate and Claire's strings as well and not in a good way. His speech to Kate on the beach about his mother issues seemed contrived just like the speech he gave Sawyer in the jungle about how he was once a man who had experienced loss. He knows how Kate feels about Aaron's safety and well-being and calling Claire crazy may stop Kate from trying to bring the two back together which I believe is very important. Also I have a very strange feeling that MIB told Claire to bide her time and wait for a more appropriate opportunity to kill Kate which may be why we saw the hug between Kate and Claire in the jungle. Lastly, if anybody does not realize this by now they are not watching nearly as closely as they need to: MIB is a LIAR. And not a white liar as some TV shows will give their heroes that trait, but a manipulative one. Did we not watch as he so cleverly and masterfully played Locke in Season 5 to get Ben to kill Jacob? Did we not watch in this season's episode "The Substitute" when MIB told Sawyer that the island was just an island and no one needed to protect it? Then why did he offer Ben the job of leader of the island after he left? As he interacts with more characters his inferences don't seem to match up. But you be the judge.

Besides that, this was a very solid episode that sets up the next half of the season which I believe will really begin to set things in motion after we see Ab Aeterno which should be a very special episode with a lot of answers.
  • Great overall episode..there were a couple of bad episodes this season but the rest of the way looks good..especially with a richard episode next week.

"It's Either Kill or be Killed... And I Don't want to be killed." - Fake Locke
    I love fake lockes attitude and how he is full of wisdom, cant wait to learn even more about him and his "crazy" mother. Sawyer yelling out "LaFleur" and the cops bust in, haha, i got a good laugh. This flash-sideways was compelling...first because sawyer is hunting down the real sawyer..second is miles is his partner after their friendship in the Darma barracks..third is he arrests kate the fugitive. Then he gets with charlotte..wheres faraday to lay the smackdown. We learned a little about smokey's past and how he has a crazy mother...like real lock, alex and possibly arron? The fact flocke sends sawyer because "he is the best lier he knows" on a recon mission to see widmore (which untill this episode i though widmore was on flocks side. But when are Widmore or Flocke going to share all they know about the island. Hopefully richard enlightens us next week. We see a non crazy side of claire at the end, which im glad because other claire was too off the wall crazy. The last couple episodes are building up for a real interesting rest of the season. Richard episode should be the best this season but wheres the Flocke episode?
  • This episode starts to bring the two world together in a common theme: Each individual has good and evil, and it is the influences around them that drive them to one extreme or the other.

Seems to me that each character has been very carefully crafted to have both good and evil. Even Ben is likable in the proper setting. It is the forces outside that push these people to either the good or evil sides.
    This episode, we say Sawyer move to a better position in his life back in LA. Miles was a positive force in moving him in this direction.
    In previous episodes this season, we saw the same thing with John, Jack and Kate... Leads me to believe setting of the bomb was the correct thing, and it did set the world into the proper course (which is by nature a course of good, not evil)
    The island, on the other hand remains a realm of manipulation, evil and craziness. (Not to mention stupid temples, and silly electrical contraptions on tripods.)
    ...Suprised no one else mentioned this, but it appears to me that the MIB/Lock character is actually Aaron. "My mother was crazy too"... and he has a soft spot for Kate, who raised him when he was a baby...
  • Nothing like a night of "Little House"

I am really getting a kick out of this other universe. Discovering Sawyer is a cop in this world was probably the most amusing character change yet. I was also amused that he still has that one con that he uses over and over again on the ladies. Of course the detective reveal was a nice twist on that aspect, and the 'sideways' was littered with many other call backs from almost all of Sawyer's other episodes. I enjoyed Miles playing buddy cop to Detective Ford, and I'm sure he and Charlotte enjoyed getting pretty for the fancy dinner and sex scenes. But the only highlight of the plot was when James freaked about Charlotte finding his old family photo. This cop is still on the hunt for THE Sawyer, but he's going off the name Anthony Cooper. Ana Lucia, Kate, Juliet, Charlotte, what major female character hasn't Sawyer slept with now? Sun, I guess. And he still needs to bed Libby. He's like Alexander the Great. But for sex. My issue with this this story is underlining my concern with all these flashes so far this season. At first, in LA X, it seemed the bomb worked, and everyone came home safe and sound. Minus the underwater island, there were only slight differences to some things that happened in LOST history, but Cuse and Lindelof didn't want it to be seen as an alternate timeline. Things seemed normal enough for them to claim this timeline was every bit as 'real' as the main island story. Hence their reasoning for the 'flash-sideways' label. Fair enough. But now, things are so dramatically different from what was originally presented, what's been established with the viewer, that there is no way this CAN'T be considered an alternate universe. On the island, Un-Locke sent Sawyer to the scout the other island. Recon. Sawyer meets "Zoe", who claimed to be the last survivor of Ajira, and was kind cute in that librarian sort of way. Wish she coulda been an original castaway. Liked her. But this being a con man episode, of course nearly everyone was lying to each other, and she revealed she was working for Whidmore, who Sawyer got to meet face to face. If any suspected Sawyer might be playing The man in Black, this seemed like the backstab we were expecting. But the twist on that was James still told everything to Smokey in the end, and showed serious loyalty. Well, the con man seems to have both Charles' and Fake Locke's trust, but I couldn't help but smile out how he's using them like pawns (Remember The Long Con?). He fessed to kate that he expects the two uber-villains (who seem to know each other, hmm?) to destroy each other, while they escape by sub. I suspect manning a submarine is no more easy than piloting a plane, so Sawyer never really answered Kate's question, lol. Speaking of Kate, Claire made her move, in the one cool Island scene, and went in for the kill! This was awesome, and I really loved how Locke picked Claire up like she weighed about 10 lbs, and tossed her off! Sayid just kinda sat there, zoned out, which was interesting. That 'sickness' is getting worse. But overall, I was disappointed in the scene. I thought they would build more to Claire vs. Kate, but it felt rushed, and it surprised me that Kate didn't say anything to Sayid afterward for not helping her out. (something is clearly wrong with your friend) Instead she went off and cried. And then Claire apologized and cried. And then I cried. Except I didn't. I was just annoyed that this story element seems to be over. Missed potential, says I.

Overall, Recon was fine. Not as strong as the last couple episodes, but did a lot of setting up. Posed one major question, but didn't answer any others. Not much by way of action, drama, or character development, but I don't want to call it filler. Pieces are being put into place.
  • Truth and lies

About halfway through this episode, as Sawyer stood in the cage where he had been held by the Others on Hydra Island, back at the beginning of the third season, it was abundantly clear that the writers were succeeding with their mission for this final leg of the "Lost" journey. It's not just about solving the mysteries or wrapping up plot threads. It's about the characters.

While the "flash sideways" are likely to have a plot-driven purpose to their existence, they are also the perfect vehicle for demonstrating just how far the characters have come over the years. As all the new connections in "Lost X" are presented and explored, one cannot help but think about where the characters of "Lost Prime" began and where circumstances have taken them.

More than that, it debunks one of the earliest criticisms of the series. Early in the second season, many critics claimed that the producers and writers were struggling to keep the series alive. It was claimed that JJ Abrams and the first season writing staff were the ones who gave the series its signature voice and created the original characters, and Damon Lindelof, Carlton Cuse, and the rest of the writing staff were just going through the motions.

These criticisms ignored the essential truth that Lindelof and Cuse were there from the beginning, but also overlooked the challenges of shepherding a high-concept series on a major network. Success is often its own worst enemy. Looking back on the second and third seasons, it's obvious how the network desire to keep the show viable for as long as possible was interfering with the natural progression of the story.

Whatever the case, the "flash sideways" are showing that the depth of characterization that struck gold in the first season was not a product of departed hands. Instead, that same level of care is reflected in each of the new versions of the characters' "introductions" as was given to the first set of flashbacks. This episode is a perfect example. While it relies on the context of the past five seasons, it also tells a compelling enough story to make one wish the "flash sideways" were the beginning of a new spinoff.

Yet at least some of that feeling is the subconscious realization that the character arcs are all coming to a close in an organic and fitting fashion. Nothing has been forced. Sawyer's decision to play Jacob's rival and Widmore against each other to escape the island is completely in keeping with his personality. And because the character's through-line over the past six years has been so well-conceived, the story of Jimmy Ford in "Lost X" feels equally earned. One can see how Sawyer's life could have taken that path.

And as usual, it is in complete keeping with the established difference between "Lost Prime" and "Lost X". In "Lost X", the same tragic events seen in "Outlaws" left James Ford an orphan, but despite the lingering bitterness and drive for revenge, he has found a better path. His life isn't perfect, but it's a far cry from Sawyer's world in "Lost Prime".

With James working with Miles as a cop in Los Angeles, dating Charlotte (who looked lovely and far from haunted) and running into Liam Pace and fugitive Kate, the whole concept of "course correction" continues to feel relevant. Perhaps Jacob wasn't around to touch the familiar characters and make them Candidates, and so lives worked out for the better. But the same people are coming together, just in different combinations. As said before, there must be a purpose to everything being shown in "Lost X", in terms of the overall plot.

Still, character is at the heart of it all, and this episode brings some unusual insight into Jacob's rival. Setting aside the potential revelations of his origins for a moment, Jacob's rival was downright creepy in his constant honesty. He came across as all too concerned for his charges, even as he openly admitted to his ongoing manipulations.

This continues to paint Jacob's rival as something of a classical Lucifer figure. After all, Lucifer is supposed to use selective truth to tell the most convincing lies. Too often, his explanations made perfect sense. It's reasonable to say that Claire was distraught after losing Aaron and needed something to hate to keep her hopes alive, at least until one remembers that Jacob's rival was likely the one who drew Claire away from Aaron in the first place. Or, beyond that, what that lie meant in terms of casualties among the Others.

And yet, there is also the feeling that Jacob's rival sincerely believes that he is righting some injustice done to him, and that all his manipulations are just an unfortunate side effect of needing to outdo Jacob's own machinations. And within that context, he may be sincere in his regret over the cost to his pawns in the struggle. At the same time, that may just be the spin he needs to place on his actions to convince his new flock that he is "the good guy". Much of what happened in this episode could be seen as his way of convincing Kate to join his cause.

If there is one aspect of this episode that doesn't quite ring true, it's Claire and her quick conversion from obsessed killer to repentant old friend. Considering how much they played up her promise to kill Kate for taking Aaron, the payoff was a little too quick and easy. On the other hand, Jacob's rival does have a great deal of influence over Claire, and Claire is unstable (to say the least). Her sudden understanding may be a sign of her continued psychological issues.

****

And now, as usual, a bit of speculation on the wider implications of Sawyer's trip to Hydra Island and his encounter with Charles Widmore.

As mentioned in reviews for episodes earlier this season, it was clear that the writers were going to have to explain how Charles Widmore and his pogrom against the inhabitants of the island factored into the conflict between Jacob and his rival. Elements from the fourth season point directly to current events, but Widmore's plot seems oddly out of place. From one perspective, he is naturally on Jacob's side against Ben, in something of a proxy war, but his determination to wipe out the population of the island seems contradictory to the current Candidate situation.

So it was good to see the writers have Sawyer bring up this very point with Widmore. It serves as something of a promise to the audience: the apparent discrepancies and contradictions will be addressed. (And this is one reason why it makes no sense for some longtime fans to complain out the pacing of the answers given this season. Are they even paying attention?)

As an analogue to Ben Linus, Charles Widmore stands as a means to an end. If he is indeed in opposition to Jacob's rival, that doesn't necessitate direct collusion with Jacob. It is possible that Widmore was able to communicate with Jacob in a way that Ben never could (and one would imagine that Richard assumed that Widmore, as leader of their people, did speak with Jacob). But Jacob also could have been manipulating Widmore like everyone else, by influencing choices without leaving much of a trace of his actions.

Which means there could be two levels to the Widmore purge. On one level, there is whatever motivation Widmore had to attempt the genocide on the island. Doubtless, this will be addressed before the end of the series. But beyond that, Jacob may have manipulated Widmore into making that decision in order to push his Candidates into the right position: namely, to bring about the Oceanic Six. (After all, most of them were Candidates, or at least potential Candidates.)

Similarly, Widmore has clearly brought something or someone to the island, and it's probably that it serves Jacob's purpose. Widmore himself isn't necessarily the person Jacob was talking about with Hurley. There are two likely possibilities that come to mind (well, more than that, but these are the main two).

The first possibility is Aaron. There are a couple of reasons for this. Very early in the series, Lindelof and Cuse said that Aaron was vital to the overall story of "Lost". He is certainly important in terms of Claire and Kate and their current motivations, but having been a point of contention, there is almost a demand for payoff. It would be ironic, given some of the initial theories offered in the reviews for the early first season episodes, if Aaron himself was a potential Candidate for Jacob! Even so, this doesn't quite track.

The second possibility is Desmond. Granted, the last time Desmond and Widmore had a chance to talk, Widmore basically told him to run away with Penny and never look back. But in the wake of Ben's attack on Desmond, Penny, and little Charlie, things might have changed. Eloise Hawking made it very clear that the island was not finished with Desmond. And perhaps most telling of all, Henry Ian Cusick has been in the credits all season, despite one very brief appearance. Surely that means he will come back in some substantial fashion!

A little more was revealed about Jacob's rival, though as it came from the "man" himself, there is some question as to the veracity of his story about his mother. However, since he was being relatively honest throughout the episode, there may be more truth to his story than fiction. And, of course, he was being awfully vague, glossing over his own issues while emphasizing his mother's insanity.

Just going by what Jacob's rival had to say, there's no analogue in Egyptian mythology, which would be the logical direction to take. The Egyptian connection has been all over the face of the series, yet there's still no solid explanation for it. It's easy enough to toss out the possibility that Jacob and his rival are Horus and Set, but this reference to a "crazy mother" doesn't fit. Clearly, there is still much left to be revealed.

Overall, this was another solid episode for the final season. Once again, the right character with the right treatment delivers a near-perfect episode. There has yet to be any episode less than above average, and that is impressive, given that the season is just about reaching its mid-point. So far, the writers are bringing the tale to an exceptional close.
  • Once a conman, always a ...cop?!

The best sideways exposure by far, begins with partners Miles Straume and James Ford, LAPD detectives, closing their latest case and setting up James for a blind date with an acquantance of Miles's dad, both Miles and his girlfriend are worried James spends too much time alone.

The date with Charlotte Staple Lewis couldn't have been better should James been Daniel Faraday, however, it all goes down after she spots the folder of his parent's murder/suicide case. As Daniel would have said "Your attitude Charlotte, your really bad attitude" is what causes a major rift between them.

Yet another rift occurs when Miles confronts James the next day, he figured out he went to Australia after one Anthony Cooper and he doesn't need his powers to know "Sawyer" is up to no good. Stuck home, all by himself, Ford watches an old "Little Prairie" episode and decides to make amends; first he goes to Charlotte ...but it's already too late to fix things with her, then he goes to Miles and he hands him the folder with all the evidence they BOTH need to find Cooper, their partnership restored they go to arrest a felon ...a fugitive known as Kate Austen.
  • Detective James Ford (Bunco Squad?), now that was a surprise. Well played Lost Team.

A Sawyer centric episode we see our shagging southerner on the island and in the sideways parallel world. Like last week the sideways world is an interesting scenario and Sawyer/Ford seems to be the most fun player, nice job Josh Holloway. Having a lonely TV dinner, beer and watching "Little House on the Prairie" was a priceless moment! A minor plot hole would be the airport meeting in the earlier episode LAX between Ford and Austen; surely as a dutiful cop James wouldn't have helped a handcuff wearing suspicious acting Kate escape as a '314' so breezily? The scheming, tears and planning going on on the Island takes on a seemingly lesser note. Just who is good and who is bad, are they all? Our Flight 815 survivors are caught between the 3 parties, Ghost of Jacob, notLocke and the surly Charles Widmore. Can they all wiggle out of the upcoming mess? Stay tuned...
  • I have to pee

I always have to pee after I wake up in the morning.

• Once again, 10-15 watchable minutes of a 40 some minute show. A Sawyer-centric episode.

Once again, 10-15 watchable minutes of a 40 some minute show. We should start calling these Trash Sideways or Flash Filler. They've been so agonizingly boring up to this point ...it's hard to imagine that their revealed significance could ever redeem the "Lost" time. These Trash sideways are only setting everyone up for a huge disappointment. I couldn't be less interested in what Sawyer would be like as a cop.....stuntman, priest, financial planner, etc. This season, the scenes that are actually taking place on the island, in a show about survivors on an island, are fantastic. I've been really looking forward to next week's episode as the title was intriguing ("In the Beginning") and they just revealed it's Richard's backstory...I hope they don't ruin it with a trash sideways about him being a cable tv repair man. I gave Recon a 3 for the Flash Filler and a 10 for the Island Time....6.5 overall.
  • Not as exciting or as revealing as the last few episodes, but there are some subtleties that were hidden (unless Im just reading too much into it.)

The first thing that caught my attention was "Locke"'s explanation that he's good, people are after him though he doesnt deserve it, all he wants is to go home, yadda yadda yadda. Compare this with James' revelation to Miles in the FS who sawyer is and why he is looking for him. It caught me as if Sawyer's parents hadnt been killed, he would be the good person we saw in the FS. Basically, MIB and Sawyer are both different types of monsters not because they just are, but because of their circumstances. Of course we dont know what MIB's back story is and if he is good or not, but going on what he has told everyone so far I see that correllation between the two.

The last scene: When Sawyer says noones going to take the plane off the island, they're taking the sub-- is this referring to which "spiritual" plane, heaven (plane) or hell (sub), everyone is going to go to upon their demise?

Not a high score for face value content within the episode, but better than average for potential underlying hints. (Hope theres something to my theory or else the score will have to change lol)
  • Recon

Just like last week, another average episode of Lost here. The show is treading water as it really does not feel like they are building toward a conclusion that will leave the viewers happy. When you first turned this show on in September 2004 did you care who would be "the candidate?" Did you care about Charles Widmore? The show has just undergone too many changes, too many personality shifts since its debut, and it is almost a slap in the face to loyal fans like me who have been watching since day one. This is still one of the most fascinating shows on TV, but will something happen already?