Lost

ABC (ended 2010)

QuackIV

Lost Fan Reviews page 4 of 88

• Still does not have a clue on where they are going. That is great.

Sorry but there is a big problem on this script !

When they are at sea and the flash come, the boat time travel with the characters but... it is not from the same continuum ! I was expected to see them swimming after the flash !

Pay attention writers ! An old fan of sci-fi and lost was realy surprised by this kind of miss-scripting !

Anyway, after four episodes of this season, I allways expecting for the next one and hoping that JJ Abrams will not drop the show as he did for Alias at the end !

And now... From a french man... Sorry again for my english !
  • What an amazing show it was for a long while.

This show was incredible, had everything. The pilot was the best i have seen, after Flashforward, which in my opinion was better. It went on and on, and we were promised the writers had a plan, everything they said was written out, and in several interviews we were told that different theories was not at all part of Lost. ie time travel, being dead etc. Hell they even claimed everything would be answed at the end, that we all would understand it. I told my self at the end of season 5, that now they have to start answering questions, but they continued to bring up more questions in the last season too. And ofcourse we got one of the worst endings possible. Show dropped from a 10 rating for me to a 7 because of it.
  • One of the best shows ever if not the best.

Lost is a show that has everything Drama, Action, Scifi, Family, Mystery. This show is one of the most confusing and most entertaining shows ever i remember when it started airing i didnt think it would last past 2 seasons not because of the ratings or because it wasnt that good at first but because i thought what can they do on an island for more than 2 seasons but the show proved me wrong and brought much to the table and it didnt disappoint me in any episode it aired and it got better and better and never stopped with the mystery's, i also remember waiting every week for a new episode of Lost and that i was going crazy over the summer with many questions in my mind what will happen next i cant wait for the next season to begin and so on, so for anyone who hasnt watched the show yet watch it because it is so good that you cant stop watching until you finish it all and because you guys are lucky now you have all the episodes on DVD so no need to wait for another episode to air. It has been two years and still i miss this show so much.

• An amazing journey

On the surface, Lost is a show about a group of people trying to survive on an island after a plane crash. However, after just one episode viewers will see this is no ordinary show. The unique thing about Lost is that the island itself is a character. Viewers quickly learn that this is not a normal island and immediately are hooked into finding out the main question of the show, which is, as Charlie's character asks in season 1, "Where are we?"

The manner in which this question is asked sends a chill down the spine. It is a small example of the simplistic but also complex themes that can be found in Lost. The show is also deeply character based. Each week a little light is shed on a certain character's past. The audience discovers that everyone on the island has a very troubled past, and in turn explains why the characters act the way they do. This creates a deep connection between the characters and the viewers which makes watching an emotional experience. Each episode will give the viewer a couple answers to questions he or she may have been asking, but not without asking even more. This style of episode creation is one of many things that makes Lost one of the most addicting shows in television history. However, there are also flaws in the way the writers try to hook viewers. As I previously stated, each episode raises new questions, which add up as the seasons continue. It would be nearly impossible to answer every question that was brought up, but still a disappointment when viewers find that some major mysteries of the show were never explained.

Some critics of Lost say that the ending did not live up to the rest of the show, and in ways that is true, but not necessarily a bad thing. The show was so great it would be hard to outdo the rest of it in the finale alone. Lost is a show that can make you laugh, cry, and scream all in one episode; it captivates audiences in ways I have not seen before. The thing that made Lost great was not the story, but the way it was told, and because of that, it will live on as a timeless classic many people's minds.

• I've seen greater shows

But they were made by the master of cinema himself called David Lynch and nothing will ever be comparable to his works so I'm not even gonna try that..

So one can say Lost isn't so bad after all. No not at all! Actually I really enjoyed the first 5 seasons where you could only guess what is really going on. Now last season is running and I am willing to participate my thoughts.

And they are as simple as the following:

Maybe the (on the go) writers should have left us in the dark instead of cutting lost puzzle pieces out of carton =)

And please never ever let Allison Janney act again. It hurts peoples feelings to see her mimics and hear her bad latin with american accent (LOL) in a once so great show...
  • This was the worst ending ever written for a semi-decent TV series.

This was the worst ending ever written for a semi-decent TV series. I saw the recap show prior to the final episode. The writers were patting each other on the back. The final few seasons were horrible, from a viewing and writing perspective. Too many loose strings that were knotted up. The story was convoluted. They needed to stick to the Island story. We do not need to know how they hooked up after the flight landed. We needed to know what happened to the characters and the island. There were no discernable answers given regarding the first few seasons.
  • In our "Creative Writing 101" class in college we were taught that worthwhile fiction must not leave the reader feeling cheated.

Sherlock Holmes cannot solve the most diabolical crime in his career...and then spring the heretofore unknown clue in his explanation. The writer must give the reader (or in the case of TV, the viewer) all the clues necessary to arrive, hopefully, at the same conclusion as the protagonist in the concluding pages of the story. A writer who cannot accomplish this goal is simply wasting the time of his audience. Our beloved writers of the "Lost" series; while spinning a exceptionally compelling tale for six years, I'm afraid, would receive a failing grade in their concluding chapter. To expect the viewer of this "Lost" series to accept a 'faith-based' heavenly miracle scenario as the conclusion to the complex storyline which has so widely been promoted to provide closure is reminiscent of the plots of "I Dream of Jeanie" or "Bewitched"! It is an insult to even the moderately intelligent viewer. The ending was little different from the twitch of a nose or the blink of a genie. It must be noted that the writers of this series most certainly started out strong and have shown a solid 'middle game' strategy...but their 'end game' following the consistent 'promise of closure' leaves the viewer wishing two things. Firstly, that the stirring plots of the above comedies were still in vogue and secondly that the writers of "Lost" had all taken an additional year's course in creative writing. It would not be surprising to learn that any future series done by the same team as "Lost" will receive much less credibility.
  • Purgatory or no Purgatory? That is the question...

I wrote a review right after the show aired and gave it a 4. I thought the ending was lame, but hey - they were all in purgatory, so no explanation was necessary as everything that happened was just people's perceptions of this transitioning stage to another dimension or something like that. Reading the reviews here, it looks like the events in the show actually happened with survivors of the crash. If this is the case, we do need some answers. But hello - how could Juliet have survived in one piece if the bomb exploded under her nose? How could Jack and Kate have killed MIB if the body of Locke was in another place, i.e. - MIB in a Locke's body was an illusion... Anyways, I am changing my score to 1 as if purgatory is not the answer, it is much worse that I thought... and the show needed more specific answers to cover for that events that actually happened.

SUGGESTION TO ABC - if there are no contractual obligations with the current writers, do an alternate version of season 6 - Normal IQ Fan's Edition - based on theories from some great sites that explain Lost mysteries based on mythology. Some of these theories are plausible and could give closure to many mysteries such as The numbers, Jacob, smoke monster, time travel and so forth. ABC could form a team with these folks - probably a younger team than the one that gave us yesterday's finale, with much more energy and brain power to connect all the dots in the main story of the show.
  • Gilligan's Island meets the worst Sci-Fi writing ever. Don't be fooled by the excellency of the first season, the quality of the writing in this show sinks faster than the Titanic.

I watched the first season of LOST around the time that the third season was on the air. I was impressed to say the least. I watched the pilot episode once, didn't care for it, watched it again, thought okay, I guess this could be interesting...and then from then on I found myself closely following the events that unfolded on the show. The first season was very interesting and very well done, the second season wasn't as good. It added a few elements in the plot and a few more main characters that I just didn't think were necessary and made the overall story a bigger stretch of the imagination.

By the third, it got even worse. The show was seeming completely ridiculous to me, a great twist is great...but a dozen random pointless twists are just that. Pointless...and the show didn't seem to want to explain much of anything...4th, 5th, 6th season...they all just got worse with no apparent desire to explain much of anything at all.

A lot of people like this show, it's obvious, it's popular. Honestly I don't know how anyone can say many positive things about it as a whole...it just is NOT good. Sorry.
  • The end is the beggining of the end

The end is the beggining of the end. That is what I think about what was "Lost" after all of its six seasons. When I first watched at 2004, I've got really impressed about how realistic it was being, reporting the drama about the plane's accident and how people's life were changed, showing the "afters" and "befores". Also, it had such beautifull scenes of the jungle, the sea, and so on. Not to mention the cast, that was excelent and totally fundamental to the development of the story. Every episode used to end leaving some disturbing questions. It was the first time people were seeing the concept of "flashbacks" and that was gripping!

The meantime during the development of the series's next seasons was painfull to wait, because the fans were so curious about what was going to happen in the island. While I was waiting for the next seasons premiere , I used to have discussions with friends about predictions of next episode's events. So, when the debut day comes, the last mysteries were solved and new mysteries were being made. The main story was been filled with far-fetched events, some new characters were being introduced and some others were dying. At this point, it was easy to discover those who were playing the role of key characters. Sometimes, episodes were fast-moving and scary, sometimes they were really moving, but the main story itself was so far to make sense. It was just an island full of secrets and supernatural events, where who is in there wants to get out, and vice versa.

Then, as "Lost" were getting closer to the end, all those past events, doubts and supernatural events were being solved. And if you can remember of the initial chapters, the whole plot starts to make sense. They all were dead since the first moment, and were given a chance for redemption, accepting their faults and facing their fears. Also, it left some spiritual concepts about living and, specially, the reason to be true and honest with itself. Everyone has a second chance, no matter where you are. The most clear example of this concept was in a scene where Desmond, one of the key characters, said to Jack in his first appearance: "See you in another life, brotha".
  • This is the best show ever. Anyone who says this is crap, honestly, must not understand. I would like to say I fully understand lost but alas, I cannot, and that's a GOOD thing :)

This show really makes you think about things, life, death, religion, and everything. I can't stand it when people criticize the show just because of the ending. The first time i saw the ending I was disappointed, then when I watched it over, I realized that it was perfect. You could take it anyway you want to. People who hate the ending, are people that don't understand the purpose of Lost, lost is a show that's meant to make you think, not send you in a straight line, so as Christian Shepard said, We are not leaving, we are moving on. And lost will always be with me.
  • BEST SHOW OF ALL TIME!!

the story was thrilling and the dialogue was well written, The Director's were geniuses when it came to continuity. I can't belive it's over. this is one of those shows that you have to watch it from the beginning to end, you can't start on season 3 :) (yes I tried to do that) this show deserves 10 stars!
  • If your not watching it you should be!!

Once in a life time, a show comes along that just stands out above the rest and you know there'll neva be another lyk it. For me that is Lost. I was hooked from the first time i saw it in the exhillerating pilot and have been kept in suspence ever sinse. With characters you can relate to and story plots you can get lost in, this show is an instant classic and will be enjoyed by generations long after in ends. if your not watching it you shud be. JJ Abrams is a genius and i thank him for the joy he has brought to so many viewers!! 8D
  • One of the best shows to ever air on television!

The best show ever! Lost is definitely missed by millions of people. It is by far the best drama that ever aired on tv. The show was full of twists and turns that shocked almost all of its viewers. All of the characters had such personality and star-quality. Emotions were all over the place whenever I watched this show. When someone died, I cried. When someone laughed, I laughed. When someone smiled, I smiled. It was a rollercoaster ride though all six seasons.

• SPOILER FREE LOST The End Review

When a series like Lost comes to an end, you really have no idea what the show's writers will throw at you. Everyone had their theories about what the ending will be like. Lost has a history of always finding a way to exceed viewers' expectations and the finale is no different. Does the Ending the writers gave this award winning series live up to the incredibly interesting, entertaining journey that us the viewers, have been on? Some viewers say yes, while others say no. Here is my opinion, Keep It Moving's full review. Before watching The End, I heard a lot of gossip about the ending. It seemed like there were no in between opinions on it. Everyone either hated it or they loved it. So I procrastinated a little on watching it. I was actually worried that my favorite TV show's inevitable ending would be disappointing, rather then rewarding. I faced the finale at 4am this morning. I am happy to say that my scaled opinion tips right to the absolutely loved it side. Yes, I loved it. The only upsetting thing about the series finale is the fact that my favorite show is over. Especially since the show had so much potential. Yes they decided to end it. I really don't see any other way that they could have ended the show this season. I think an alternate season would be the best thing ever. You know, just an entirely new sixth season. I can wish cant I. While I can say the ending was great, I wasn't entirely happy with this season. Maybe that's why people are giving this show such negative reviews. You really had to have watched this show from at least the second season to actually get a feel for these characters and to really catch the drift of just exactly what is happening. If you watched this show from season one you most definitely should get the picture and understand everything. Even if you started watching Lost this season, you may still just be confused during the finale. I didn't see the 2 hour special that aired before it, so they quite possibly could have done a huge recap of the entire series. If that's what the special was and you in fact watched it, then you might not be too confused. Even then you still wont know all the little nooks and crannies that make this show so good. Lost is all about the characters. The character development in Lost has to be the most captivating I've ever experienced on screen. The characters are what made the show take off. You think, there were Flashbacks in the show forever. The flashbacks were probably the smartest thing the creators put in. The only problem with them were, once you do all the characters a couple times, it will probably get repetitive and dull. So they threw some more characters in. Then came the flash forward where they basically foreshadowed some plot details by revealing the characters in the future. Now new to Season 6, flash sideways, which take place in an alternate reality where the plane never crashed and the island is underwater. While it was an interesting twist, I really don't think it was the greatest idea. What a way to confuse new viewers. Anyway, they did it the way they did it and it was really good. So for the finale they basically tie up each characters story in the alternate reality. They also wrapped up the story on the island, you know, the main story. I think any fan will be pleased with this ending. The more I think about the entire series as a whole, the more clever I think it is how it all went down. After you watch it check out my COMMENTS and SPOILERS on "LOST: The Series and The End."

• This show is just PERFECTION.

It started late in the UK so I had heard all the hype about wat an amzing show it was. I tuned into the pilot and it was amazing i was in ough and imetiadtly hooked. I continued and the show just got more mysterious and amazing. Matthew Fox,Evangilline Lily,Terry O'Quin and Emile De Raven where my fave actors who all gave good performances. When i followed the show into season 2 i enjoyed the new characters and got my fave couple!! Sayid and Shannon love them only to be dissapointed when they kill of Maggie Grace :(. Season 2 was really well thought out we got lots of secrets reveled! In season 3 the show didnt live up to my expectations! Yeah it was good but lost is great not good!! It was the same with DH n 24 that season all lost their touches. I missed Michael n anna n shannon and some random people like Paulo and Nikki just did not do. Ben and Juliette were good aditions though! Now in season 4 the show has really proven itself to be good again!! It just had a bad season i guess. This year has good mystery's and there bringing back Michael YAY!!!!! Also Mader is sooooo good i luv er even though i wish Kristen Bell had taken the role but i still love Elle! I hope this quality continues for the show throughout the shows run. Thank god the writers strike is resolved so i can get me lost fix hopefully the break does not mean they have lost there mojo!! I'm also happy about the move to sky one. Cause if they didnt get lost i think the Futurama, simpsons and Buffy re-runs where getting old! I really hope the show does not get cancelled before it has the next 2 seasons cause I WANT CLOSURE!!
  • To make the long story short you've got a hole bunch of people stranded on an island. There's Oceanic 815 survivors; The others; The tailies from the Oceanic plane; The Dharma Initiative; The other others; Is there any I missed, probably.

After Oceanic Air Flight 815 tears apart in mid-air and crashes on a Pacific island on September 22nd 2004, its survivors...flashback...flashforward...flashsideways?..Smoke monster...another plane...The tallies...Dharma...holy Sh*t...Kate...Sawyer...Jack...The others...Ben...?...
    and six seasons later it's become one of the best shows ever for the following reasons: I love Jacob and the mysterious man in black. Sawyers sexy. Each week we get a new cliffhanger that we will desperately try and figure out before the next episode airs. With every episode you get a tiny piece of the puzzle.
  • A show I'll remember forever. A true classic.

I can still remember how excited I was to hear about the show before it premiered. It mixed all the things I love in TV and books: sci-fi, mystery, action, adventure, drama. It was well planned and well executed with a great cast. I simply could not wait for Lost day, and the hiatuses between seasons were sheer agony. This show made me cry, and I never cry. I introduced this show to anyone and everyone I knew. We would spend vast amounts of time discussing, ranting, arguing and speculating about it. I bought corny Lost merchandise and read Lost related books. I have never been so heavily invested in a TV show. It's the one show I'm sure I'll pop in and watch 20 years from now.
  • Watching lost was the best decision i ever made

I wish i had seen lost when it was still on tv. i never actually saw it when it was on tv and now i wish more than anything that i had, because lost has become my favorite tv show of all time and probably always will be. Before i actually watched it i just thought that it was some show about people trying to stay alive on an island, and i thought that i wouldn't like it. Until my friend who is huge lost fan, said to me, how do you know you hate the show you've never actually watched it, you might enjoy it. So i watched the very first episode, then i watched the next episode and the next and within the weekend i finished the first season. I think it kind of became and addiction, every week i'd watch a couple of episodes.

I think that the story line and the concept behind lost is so well constructed, which is what made lost so great. In each episode you learn something new about a character, or you get to see pieces of their past. which is what made people feel like they really knew the characters and understood who they were as people. One part of lost that i loved, was the fact that the writers perfectly intertwined so many different genres into one tv show. They combined sci fi, drama, action and adventure and made them into one great tv show.

i think what makes so many lost fans forget that lost is just a tv show, is because like i'm sure many other fans did, i got emotionally attached to the characters and the story line, which is what made it all feel so real. I remember when charlie died and i was crying my brother said to me, you do know that charlie isn't a real person right, the actor didn't die. and i had to laugh because that was just in the 3rd season and i realized how much i had come to love the show. Lost will always be the show that had me on the edge of my seat, trying to anticipate what will happen next, and i'm really glad i listen to my friend and decided to watch that first episode.
  • One of the greatest shows of all time.

Weather you hated or loved the finale, there is no argument that Lost is one of the greatest and most influential shows of the past decade. It turned the simple idea of a plane crash onto a deserted island, into one of the greatest mysteries in television history. A mystery that even now, more than one year after it's ended, we still don't have all the answers to. But the greatest part about Lost was not the mystery it was the heart. From Charlie's death, to the ending of The Constant, to The End. This show juiced more tears out of viewers than Old Yeller. And it's one thing that many of the new Lost-wannabe shows are missing (The Event, Flashforward). The mystery, the confusion is all there, but viewers want more than that. If you haven't seen Lost I recommend you watch it, but make sure you start from the beginning. Don't be one of those people who saw one episode halfway through season 4 and complained that "It doesn't make sense, this show is stupid". I used to be one of those people, now it's one of my favorite shows.
  • Simply put, The Best TV show of all time.

Everyone has heard of Lost.(unless they've been living under a rock)But if you haven't seen it yet, make it a point to watch the pilot as soon as possible. You won't regret it. When you hear a Lost fan talking about the show it might sound stupid.The island, smoke monster, the hatch, time travel etc..It sounds a bit far fetched. But the truth is, Lost is a show like no other.There's nothing like it on TV and I don't think there ever will be.After watching the finale i had this weird feeling like a friend had left me forever. And the background score by Giacchino is awesome. In concluson, Lost is the best thing i've ever seen. It's something you want everyone to experience. i am sure i'll rewatch it many times over the years.
  • Sorry to all hardcore fans but I love the finale.

Perhaps is not the best for everyone. Perhaps too many questions still left and some people want an explanation for everithing. But sometimes the explanation isn't needed at all, it's part of the magic of the show, to let things open to everyone's mid so we can make the answers ourselves. I allways look LOST as a tv series about characters, I really don't care if they travel in time, between universes or if the had to fight some damn fog-monster. The sparkle of the show that keeps me until the last episode is how the characters (the old ones and the new) are developed as the time goes by. If you take away the island, the mithology, the unexplained phenomens and the little bit of supernatural forces, the show mantains a lot of this sparkle.

For my this last six years was a hell of a flight for Oceanic 815 people. I enjoy every episode the way I could (the good ones and the bad ones also). All good things allways come to an end. But at the end I like it more than else.
  • After following Lost for about three years I thought it'd be worthwhile to write up a little summary and some reflections on the show (Note: this is strictly my own interpretation of the show and for all I know I could be completely off).*Spoilers*

Lost is finally over and at the end it becomes clear that as far as the plot goes, Lost is nothing more than a Sci-Fi that attempts to reconcile science with religion; yet ironically, by strengthening the religious aspects of the show under the science "fiction" heading it in a sense ridicules religion as nothing more than fictitious material.

That being said, I think Lost is a superb show as it doesn't really leave any plot holes to fill. The themes and ideas remain completely consistent throughout Lost despite the show's intricate plotline. In fact the story is so complex it would be difficult to simply dive into a summary, so it'd be best to start with some major themes.

Dharma: The show definitely draws heavily from Buddhist ideas. Although I am no expert on Buddhism I find it quite easy to grasp these ideas due to my personal religious background. The word dharma has various deep meanings; literally it means "rule" or "law" in Buddhism, but not just any rule or law in general. Dharma is supposed to be the teachings (rules) established by Buddha that can lead individuals to enlightenment. In Lost this idea is used simply to show that the island possesses the quality of dharma, where a set of rules is established that allow all the characters on the island to discover their true nature. If you look at what DHARMA stands for in Dharma Initiative (Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications...wtf does that even mean?!) you'd realize that the writers basically chose that name to signify that the island has some unique properties of dharma and a group of people (Dharma Initiative and later Charles Widmore) are trying to study it and control it for their own benefits; other than that, what Dharma stands for is pretty much meaningless.

Karma: This is another recurring theme in the show and a very important one. Karma is all about free will, causes and effects, actions and consequences, and more importantly it is about reincarnation. Specifically, karma is about the relations between people and other living things. In Buddhism, an important part of reincarnation involves "memory loss" (you can't, or at least shouldn't be able to remember your past lives), and this obviously plays a huge role in the final season of Lost. Basically reincarnation is a vicious cycle, a form of repeated suffering that people must endure one life after another until they have achieved self-purification (through dharma) and only then will they become like Buddha so they can leave this earthly cycle and head into nirvana.

How this all ties in with Lost: If we are to view the characters' lives from the karma point of view then the only way to make sense of the transition from one life to another is by following the characters' memories. As long as the characters maintain consistent memories then they are living and acting in the same life. This means that everything that happened prior to their memory loss would be in the same life, which includes everything from seasons 1-5 and all the stuff that happens on the island in season 6, and after the memory loss would be their next life, after they all died. But unlike traditional view of karma where you reincarnate into something completely different, the transition into a different life is more like a transition into an "alternate life" or "alternate universe" in Lost, which is why all the characters maintain their same forms. I guess this would be the real sci-fi portion of Lost, with all the time travelling and entering into alternate universe. All the interpersonal conflicts in the show represent the vicious cycles of karma that all the characters struggle to remove themselves from. In order to leave this cycle they must find and achieve some purpose in life.

Love: Despite how corny it may seem, love is without a doubt the most important theme in the entire show. Love alone can explain some of the unanswered questions regarding supporting characters. The show seems to suggest that the purpose of life isn't some sort of self-enlightenment through dharma, but instead the true purpose is to "let go" (very Buddhist idea). And it also suggests that for many, only when you have found "true love" can you "let go" of all the things in life and leave the "purgatory" and move on into heaven. In Lost, purgatory isn't just the island; it seems to be the entire earthly world. This explains why Ana Lucia, Miles, Michael, and any other characters who never find true love do not end up in the end scene where all the main characters are "moving on." Ben must stay in purgatory and deal with Alex and her mom. Daniel doesn't regain any memories when he comes into contact with Charlotte because they have not spent nearly enough time with each other to establish any kind of serious relationship. Hence why Desmond says he's not taking Daniel with him when Eloise asks him; it isn't because he chooses not to take Daniel, it's because he simply can't. Daniel must remain in purgatory until he finds true love. However, if this theory sounds somewhat convincing at all, it doesn't really explain why Locke and Boone get to move on, which remains somewhat of a mystery (especially Boone...wtf was he doing there? For Locke though it's probably because he somehow manages to "let go" of something trapping him in purgatory...like the guilt he feels about his father).

Everybody Died: I find this to be a brilliant idea to end the show. This is why they all manage to move into the next life where they all meet each other, but definitely not at the same time. The final conversation between Hugo and Ben suggests that they obviously remain alive on the island for a while to protect it but they must've died eventually, too, and everyone who got off the island on the plane all died. It doesn't matter whether the plane crashed or they all manage to live out the rest of their lives, they all died in that one life eventually. Another sci-fi part of the show suggests that memories from past lives can be regained through intense physical (visual, sensual, etc.) experiences. Desmond becomes the center piece that reunites everyone simply because he is the first one to regain memories from the past life.

Overall the show is outstanding even though there are many questions left unanswered (but it's a sci-fi after all so it's best to just take it as it is). There are probably no answers for things like the origin of Jacob and his nameless brother and their mother, etc. But I still find one part of the show particularly troubling...

Eloise: Even after the show has ended Lost does not seize to amaze me, how such a small part of the show, a side character, can hold so much seemingly solvable mystery. I find Eloise to be the most troubling character of all, because she seems to know exactly what's going on. In season 6 episode 11 – "Happily Ever After," the episode where Desmond begins to regain memories, Eloise was absolutely opposed to Desmond reuniting the main characters. Not only does she keep "the guest list" away from Desmond (presumably the list has the info of all the main characters), she even says "whatever happened, happened" as if she knows about everything that happened in the past life, even though Charles Widmore, who appears in the same episode, seems to know nothing. Eloise's extensive knowledge on the whole situation is further shown when she asks whether Desmond is taking Daniel in the end. So who is this woman?!?! Why did she not lose her memories in the alternate life? Daniel's character is also a bit confusing but not so much as Eloise. Dan seems to be at a stage where he can feel some weird past-life phenomena but can't quite explain why (love at first sight and writing up crazy equations). Anyway, for all the devoted Lost fans, Eloise is definitely a character worth exploring.
  • Absolutely beautiful

After the finale aired, their were thousands of people online trying to tear the show apart and complain about how unsatisfied they were. These people either didn't understand the show or weren't truly fans in the first place; moreover, I believe that true fans of the show, i.e. people who have been watching since season 1, appreciate the ending more than those who are just casual fans. These true fans are also the ones who realize that Lost consists of more than just the series finale. Lost has been the most compelling drama that has ever been shown on television, as it has consistantly kept viewers on the edge of their seats, and more importantly forced them to actually think, for six years. The journey that Lost fans have enjoyed has been the most complex, intelligent, detailed, and delightful ride of all time. Even if people didn't like the finale, they can't say that the whole show was a waste of time, or they wouldn't have watched in the first place. Of course the finale is going to spark lots of debate, that is what the whole show is about, letting people interpret it as they see fit and then share their ideas with others. However, the show is a character-based drama first, and the mythology, even though it is the best on tv, still comes second. So the finale is really the perfect ending for this show. Sure, there could have been other, possibly more well-received endings, but the story of the characters could not have been summed up and brought to a full circle in a better way than what the writers did. The closure that was provided was what the show needed, and watching Jack's eye close was the perfect final image. Now I know most people are angry about all the unasnwered questions (Walt, fertility, the island in general) but leaving them open to theorize about is the best way to do it. Even though it may be frustrating and hard to swallow, getting a straight answer isn't always the best path, as then their is no more joy in using your imagination. For instance, when the whispers were explained, people just kind of shrugged it off as "Oh, that makes sense, cool" but lost all the excitement in being able to decide the answer for themselves. All in all, Lost succeeded in changing the landscape of television, successfully doing things that no other show has done before by becoming more than just a show, but a truly interactive experience which people can feel like they belong to. Hopefully Lost will be remembered for it's greatness and beauty, regardless of how people feel about The End.
  • Is Lost the Greatest TV Show Ever?

There's no such thing as a "Greatest TV show ever."
    An impossible and unfair question.

Based just on what everyone has had to say about LOST, makes it something that you can't really do with other shows. The Shield? Breaking Bad? The Sopranos? The Wire? If I could sum up the singular greatest achievement LOST was able to pull off its this:

They did it without having to be on cable.

Without the racy language or graphic violence. Without the nudity. Going to the HBO well is a little too easy in my opinion. Cable has an advantage with more storytelling freedom. Yet LOST managed to place itself among the elite without those advantages. Hell, the constrictions make the show more creative, and more accessible for a wider audience. If you were to look at the legacy of all the shows in your own personal 'Top 10s' how many of them were truly innovative? How many have left an indelible mark on the television landscape forever? How many of them spawned copycats? How many of them can you actually talk about with friends and they've actually seen it? There's only a handful, I'm sure.

It's easy to talk about Cheers or M*A*S*H or Seinfeld, or The Simpsons, but it's a case of apples and oranges. Best show ever? Best sci-fi drama? Maybe. Sorry Star Trek and BSG fans, LOST is arguably 'cooler' to watch. It just has a lot more going on, with a lot more to say and a ton more to take away personally.

A more ambitious show has never been made.

I actually love that the end is left open for interpretation, as is the entire series, which was above all else, more about the journey itself. Not many other shows can say that. A mixed reaction for sure, but is polarizing a bad thing? The emotion and reaction this show can stir, the relationship with its audience- unparalleled.

Confession time: My favorite TV show of all time is My So-Called life. A 1-season canceled tragedy that simply chronicled the teenage life of one Angela Chase. Yes, this grouchy reader holds a teen drama higher than anything he's ever seen. My opinion on LOST (a close no. 2) may have just been completely invalidated. But I wanted to be honest so you know that even I myself personally hold no bias to LOST as 'best show ever'. I don't obsess over things, but I obsessed over this show.

Knowing how it ends, the series almost demands at least one more re-watch all the way through. I've recommended LOST to every person I've ever met, and will continue to do so. I have converted many of my friends into fans.

Best TV show ever?
    I've never wondered that about Damages or Buffy the Vampire Slayer. There aren't debates about The Twilight Zone or 24.

Let me put it this way:

The fact that people even ask this question speaks for itself.
  • The Greatest TV Show of All Time

Lost follows a group of survivors whose plane crashed on a mysterious island. Lost has everything: drama, action, adventure, mystery, science fiction, fantasy, comedy, romance etc. Lost is amazingly detailed and in-depth and downright inspirational at times. Seasons 1-4 are brilliant, season 5 is decent, and season 6 was somewhat disappointing but still good. Anyway, it's not about the end; it's about the amazing journey and roller-coater ride Lost takes you on. The character development in Lost is unlike anything I've seen in any show. Season 1: 10
    Season 2: 9.5
    Season 3: 9.5
    Season 4: 9
    Season 5: 7.5
    Season 6: 7
  • The greatest show of all time.

Lost is about a group of people on a plane who crashed from the oceanic flight 815 on a mysterious island. As the show progresses you find out more about this island, why they are there and why nobody can find them.

The show in my opinion is the greatest ever. The first 4 seasons were spectacular. Season 5 was very good, but not great and season 6 was quite good but disappointing. It started off with a simplistic style, people with very mundane lives trying to get off the island. But then by season 4 it took a more supernatural turn, which many people didn't like because of the confusion it caused but in my opinion, it was a good choice. The acting, the writing and the direction are all top notch. Some people were unsatisfied with the shows ending; and in some respects i would agree. I thought that all of them meeting up at the end was very nice, although there were many questions that were left-un answered. I mean according to Damon Lindelof (Creator) that everything would be explained. There were characters that we didn't see in the church that we should've and don't tell me it was a casting issue because one of them just showed up in the middle of the season. Also, in the famous season 4 finale the spinning wheel wasn't explained. I am expecting that there will most likely be a film adaptation in the works, but other than this it is still a great show.

If you haven't seen this show, you are missing out. I believe that it is possibly the greatest tv drama ever. People who got confused just didn't concentrate enough, it's not that hard to understand. I would recommend this show to anyone.
  • Lost. Enough said....

I watched Lost from the very first episode. I am not able to say that about most of the great shows of the past decade. Lost is not the best show that has been on television in those 10 years, it's not the most emotional or the most dramatic, but it is very nearly the best in every category. This is a masterpiece of television. It is obvious that the writers never really knew where they were going with it, as is evident by the ending, but none of that really matters. Maybe it didn't end in the best possible way, and maybe some (many, many) things were left unexplained or had an inadequate finish. But overall there is basically nothing wrong with this show. Week in, week out it delivered emotional, tense drama and the storytelling was compelling and mostly well thought out. The mystery was what kept most people coming back to it and for a very good reason. My only quarrel with the show is that the central theme that ultimately drove everything that happened wasn't even revealed or hinted toward until the fourth season. But like I said it doesn't really matter. Overall, a great piece of television that should be seen by everyone. I am currently re-watching it and would recommend it to anyone.
  • An interesting concept, but the dull flashbacks all but ruin it.

4.5
    "Lost" got off to a good start with the very interesting two-part pilot episode. Survivors of a plane crash are stranded on a tropical island, and the longer they're there, the stranger they realize the island is.

Unfortunately, the writers decided to make heavy use of the narrative crutch known as flashbacks. Time to show character development? Flashback! Time to reveal someone's true motivations? Flashback! But ultimately, the characters aren't nearly as compelling as any of the island's dozen mysteries, and so the flashbacks that take up about a third of the show's airtime tend to destroy the momentum that builds up for the other 30 minutes. "Lost" has an interesting concept, but the dull flashbacks all but ruin it.

Charlie's puzzled "Guys, where are we?" at the end of the second episode was terrific, but it's been downhill from there. More and more questions are raised and then all but ignored. The characters rarely ask questions or try to get to the bottom of things, which makes the viewer wonder if the survivors aren't the 48 least-curious people in the entire world.
  • It had the potential to be something original and great but by the end of season one it quickly became "blue-balling" hell.

6.6
    The thing that drew me into this so quickly was the pilot. It gave me a sense that this was going to be a show that loosely used the ideas from the book "Lord Of The Flies". That is, how would the human race react if it was taken away from civilation and forced to rely on each other to survive.

This theme is evident within the show, with people blaming other people for things gone wrong and killing each other over ridiculous reasons. What we quickly see is that there is a bigger picture to be realized. Suddenly the viewer is thrown a whole lot of puzzles and riddles and we are stuck to figure out the whole mess. This is the hook that kept me watching, but by the end of the season was the reason my taste for this show went from a 10 to a 6.

Solving the big picture is exciting. Don't get me wrong. However when you are given a whole lot of clues and NEVER any answers, you begin to wonder "What's the point?" I am honestly pondering whether or not the writers of this show even wrote what the big puzzle is. Don't get me wrong, there are certain clues that connect to each other, but by the end you are still left with an unsatisfied appetite.

Simply put, the show has a lot of build up with no big boom.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10