Lost

ABC (ended 2010)

QuackIV

Lost Fan Reviews page 4 of 88

• After following Lost for about three years I thought it'd be worthwhile to write up a little summary and some reflections on the show (Note: this is strictly my own interpretation of the show and for all I know I could be completely off).*Spoilers*

Lost is finally over and at the end it becomes clear that as far as the plot goes, Lost is nothing more than a Sci-Fi that attempts to reconcile science with religion; yet ironically, by strengthening the religious aspects of the show under the science "fiction" heading it in a sense ridicules religion as nothing more than fictitious material.

That being said, I think Lost is a superb show as it doesn't really leave any plot holes to fill. The themes and ideas remain completely consistent throughout Lost despite the show's intricate plotline. In fact the story is so complex it would be difficult to simply dive into a summary, so it'd be best to start with some major themes.

Dharma: The show definitely draws heavily from Buddhist ideas. Although I am no expert on Buddhism I find it quite easy to grasp these ideas due to my personal religious background. The word dharma has various deep meanings; literally it means "rule" or "law" in Buddhism, but not just any rule or law in general. Dharma is supposed to be the teachings (rules) established by Buddha that can lead individuals to enlightenment. In Lost this idea is used simply to show that the island possesses the quality of dharma, where a set of rules is established that allow all the characters on the island to discover their true nature. If you look at what DHARMA stands for in Dharma Initiative (Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications...wtf does that even mean?!) you'd realize that the writers basically chose that name to signify that the island has some unique properties of dharma and a group of people (Dharma Initiative and later Charles Widmore) are trying to study it and control it for their own benefits; other than that, what Dharma stands for is pretty much meaningless.

Karma: This is another recurring theme in the show and a very important one. Karma is all about free will, causes and effects, actions and consequences, and more importantly it is about reincarnation. Specifically, karma is about the relations between people and other living things. In Buddhism, an important part of reincarnation involves "memory loss" (you can't, or at least shouldn't be able to remember your past lives), and this obviously plays a huge role in the final season of Lost. Basically reincarnation is a vicious cycle, a form of repeated suffering that people must endure one life after another until they have achieved self-purification (through dharma) and only then will they become like Buddha so they can leave this earthly cycle and head into nirvana.

How this all ties in with Lost: If we are to view the characters' lives from the karma point of view then the only way to make sense of the transition from one life to another is by following the characters' memories. As long as the characters maintain consistent memories then they are living and acting in the same life. This means that everything that happened prior to their memory loss would be in the same life, which includes everything from seasons 1-5 and all the stuff that happens on the island in season 6, and after the memory loss would be their next life, after they all died. But unlike traditional view of karma where you reincarnate into something completely different, the transition into a different life is more like a transition into an "alternate life" or "alternate universe" in Lost, which is why all the characters maintain their same forms. I guess this would be the real sci-fi portion of Lost, with all the time travelling and entering into alternate universe. All the interpersonal conflicts in the show represent the vicious cycles of karma that all the characters struggle to remove themselves from. In order to leave this cycle they must find and achieve some purpose in life.

Love: Despite how corny it may seem, love is without a doubt the most important theme in the entire show. Love alone can explain some of the unanswered questions regarding supporting characters. The show seems to suggest that the purpose of life isn't some sort of self-enlightenment through dharma, but instead the true purpose is to "let go" (very Buddhist idea). And it also suggests that for many, only when you have found "true love" can you "let go" of all the things in life and leave the "purgatory" and move on into heaven. In Lost, purgatory isn't just the island; it seems to be the entire earthly world. This explains why Ana Lucia, Miles, Michael, and any other characters who never find true love do not end up in the end scene where all the main characters are "moving on." Ben must stay in purgatory and deal with Alex and her mom. Daniel doesn't regain any memories when he comes into contact with Charlotte because they have not spent nearly enough time with each other to establish any kind of serious relationship. Hence why Desmond says he's not taking Daniel with him when Eloise asks him; it isn't because he chooses not to take Daniel, it's because he simply can't. Daniel must remain in purgatory until he finds true love. However, if this theory sounds somewhat convincing at all, it doesn't really explain why Locke and Boone get to move on, which remains somewhat of a mystery (especially Boone...wtf was he doing there? For Locke though it's probably because he somehow manages to "let go" of something trapping him in purgatory...like the guilt he feels about his father).

Everybody Died: I find this to be a brilliant idea to end the show. This is why they all manage to move into the next life where they all meet each other, but definitely not at the same time. The final conversation between Hugo and Ben suggests that they obviously remain alive on the island for a while to protect it but they must've died eventually, too, and everyone who got off the island on the plane all died. It doesn't matter whether the plane crashed or they all manage to live out the rest of their lives, they all died in that one life eventually. Another sci-fi part of the show suggests that memories from past lives can be regained through intense physical (visual, sensual, etc.) experiences. Desmond becomes the center piece that reunites everyone simply because he is the first one to regain memories from the past life.

Overall the show is outstanding even though there are many questions left unanswered (but it's a sci-fi after all so it's best to just take it as it is). There are probably no answers for things like the origin of Jacob and his nameless brother and their mother, etc. But I still find one part of the show particularly troubling...

Eloise: Even after the show has ended Lost does not seize to amaze me, how such a small part of the show, a side character, can hold so much seemingly solvable mystery. I find Eloise to be the most troubling character of all, because she seems to know exactly what's going on. In season 6 episode 11 – "Happily Ever After," the episode where Desmond begins to regain memories, Eloise was absolutely opposed to Desmond reuniting the main characters. Not only does she keep "the guest list" away from Desmond (presumably the list has the info of all the main characters), she even says "whatever happened, happened" as if she knows about everything that happened in the past life, even though Charles Widmore, who appears in the same episode, seems to know nothing. Eloise's extensive knowledge on the whole situation is further shown when she asks whether Desmond is taking Daniel in the end. So who is this woman?!?! Why did she not lose her memories in the alternate life? Daniel's character is also a bit confusing but not so much as Eloise. Dan seems to be at a stage where he can feel some weird past-life phenomena but can't quite explain why (love at first sight and writing up crazy equations). Anyway, for all the devoted Lost fans, Eloise is definitely a character worth exploring.
  • Absolutely beautiful

After the finale aired, their were thousands of people online trying to tear the show apart and complain about how unsatisfied they were. These people either didn't understand the show or weren't truly fans in the first place; moreover, I believe that true fans of the show, i.e. people who have been watching since season 1, appreciate the ending more than those who are just casual fans. These true fans are also the ones who realize that Lost consists of more than just the series finale. Lost has been the most compelling drama that has ever been shown on television, as it has consistantly kept viewers on the edge of their seats, and more importantly forced them to actually think, for six years. The journey that Lost fans have enjoyed has been the most complex, intelligent, detailed, and delightful ride of all time. Even if people didn't like the finale, they can't say that the whole show was a waste of time, or they wouldn't have watched in the first place. Of course the finale is going to spark lots of debate, that is what the whole show is about, letting people interpret it as they see fit and then share their ideas with others. However, the show is a character-based drama first, and the mythology, even though it is the best on tv, still comes second. So the finale is really the perfect ending for this show. Sure, there could have been other, possibly more well-received endings, but the story of the characters could not have been summed up and brought to a full circle in a better way than what the writers did. The closure that was provided was what the show needed, and watching Jack's eye close was the perfect final image. Now I know most people are angry about all the unasnwered questions (Walt, fertility, the island in general) but leaving them open to theorize about is the best way to do it. Even though it may be frustrating and hard to swallow, getting a straight answer isn't always the best path, as then their is no more joy in using your imagination. For instance, when the whispers were explained, people just kind of shrugged it off as "Oh, that makes sense, cool" but lost all the excitement in being able to decide the answer for themselves. All in all, Lost succeeded in changing the landscape of television, successfully doing things that no other show has done before by becoming more than just a show, but a truly interactive experience which people can feel like they belong to. Hopefully Lost will be remembered for it's greatness and beauty, regardless of how people feel about The End.
  • Is Lost the Greatest TV Show Ever?

There's no such thing as a "Greatest TV show ever."
    An impossible and unfair question.

Based just on what everyone has had to say about LOST, makes it something that you can't really do with other shows. The Shield? Breaking Bad? The Sopranos? The Wire? If I could sum up the singular greatest achievement LOST was able to pull off its this:

They did it without having to be on cable.

Without the racy language or graphic violence. Without the nudity. Going to the HBO well is a little too easy in my opinion. Cable has an advantage with more storytelling freedom. Yet LOST managed to place itself among the elite without those advantages. Hell, the constrictions make the show more creative, and more accessible for a wider audience. If you were to look at the legacy of all the shows in your own personal 'Top 10s' how many of them were truly innovative? How many have left an indelible mark on the television landscape forever? How many of them spawned copycats? How many of them can you actually talk about with friends and they've actually seen it? There's only a handful, I'm sure.

It's easy to talk about Cheers or M*A*S*H or Seinfeld, or The Simpsons, but it's a case of apples and oranges. Best show ever? Best sci-fi drama? Maybe. Sorry Star Trek and BSG fans, LOST is arguably 'cooler' to watch. It just has a lot more going on, with a lot more to say and a ton more to take away personally.

A more ambitious show has never been made.

I actually love that the end is left open for interpretation, as is the entire series, which was above all else, more about the journey itself. Not many other shows can say that. A mixed reaction for sure, but is polarizing a bad thing? The emotion and reaction this show can stir, the relationship with its audience- unparalleled.

Confession time: My favorite TV show of all time is My So-Called life. A 1-season canceled tragedy that simply chronicled the teenage life of one Angela Chase. Yes, this grouchy reader holds a teen drama higher than anything he's ever seen. My opinion on LOST (a close no. 2) may have just been completely invalidated. But I wanted to be honest so you know that even I myself personally hold no bias to LOST as 'best show ever'. I don't obsess over things, but I obsessed over this show.

Knowing how it ends, the series almost demands at least one more re-watch all the way through. I've recommended LOST to every person I've ever met, and will continue to do so. I have converted many of my friends into fans.

Best TV show ever?
    I've never wondered that about Damages or Buffy the Vampire Slayer. There aren't debates about The Twilight Zone or 24.

Let me put it this way:

The fact that people even ask this question speaks for itself.
  • The Greatest TV Show of All Time

Lost follows a group of survivors whose plane crashed on a mysterious island. Lost has everything: drama, action, adventure, mystery, science fiction, fantasy, comedy, romance etc. Lost is amazingly detailed and in-depth and downright inspirational at times. Seasons 1-4 are brilliant, season 5 is decent, and season 6 was somewhat disappointing but still good. Anyway, it's not about the end; it's about the amazing journey and roller-coater ride Lost takes you on. The character development in Lost is unlike anything I've seen in any show. Season 1: 10
    Season 2: 9.5
    Season 3: 9.5
    Season 4: 9
    Season 5: 7.5
    Season 6: 7
  • The greatest show of all time.

Lost is about a group of people on a plane who crashed from the oceanic flight 815 on a mysterious island. As the show progresses you find out more about this island, why they are there and why nobody can find them.

The show in my opinion is the greatest ever. The first 4 seasons were spectacular. Season 5 was very good, but not great and season 6 was quite good but disappointing. It started off with a simplistic style, people with very mundane lives trying to get off the island. But then by season 4 it took a more supernatural turn, which many people didn't like because of the confusion it caused but in my opinion, it was a good choice. The acting, the writing and the direction are all top notch. Some people were unsatisfied with the shows ending; and in some respects i would agree. I thought that all of them meeting up at the end was very nice, although there were many questions that were left-un answered. I mean according to Damon Lindelof (Creator) that everything would be explained. There were characters that we didn't see in the church that we should've and don't tell me it was a casting issue because one of them just showed up in the middle of the season. Also, in the famous season 4 finale the spinning wheel wasn't explained. I am expecting that there will most likely be a film adaptation in the works, but other than this it is still a great show.

If you haven't seen this show, you are missing out. I believe that it is possibly the greatest tv drama ever. People who got confused just didn't concentrate enough, it's not that hard to understand. I would recommend this show to anyone.
  • Lost. Enough said....

I watched Lost from the very first episode. I am not able to say that about most of the great shows of the past decade. Lost is not the best show that has been on television in those 10 years, it's not the most emotional or the most dramatic, but it is very nearly the best in every category. This is a masterpiece of television. It is obvious that the writers never really knew where they were going with it, as is evident by the ending, but none of that really matters. Maybe it didn't end in the best possible way, and maybe some (many, many) things were left unexplained or had an inadequate finish. But overall there is basically nothing wrong with this show. Week in, week out it delivered emotional, tense drama and the storytelling was compelling and mostly well thought out. The mystery was what kept most people coming back to it and for a very good reason. My only quarrel with the show is that the central theme that ultimately drove everything that happened wasn't even revealed or hinted toward until the fourth season. But like I said it doesn't really matter. Overall, a great piece of television that should be seen by everyone. I am currently re-watching it and would recommend it to anyone.
  • An interesting concept, but the dull flashbacks all but ruin it.

4.5
    "Lost" got off to a good start with the very interesting two-part pilot episode. Survivors of a plane crash are stranded on a tropical island, and the longer they're there, the stranger they realize the island is.

Unfortunately, the writers decided to make heavy use of the narrative crutch known as flashbacks. Time to show character development? Flashback! Time to reveal someone's true motivations? Flashback! But ultimately, the characters aren't nearly as compelling as any of the island's dozen mysteries, and so the flashbacks that take up about a third of the show's airtime tend to destroy the momentum that builds up for the other 30 minutes. "Lost" has an interesting concept, but the dull flashbacks all but ruin it.

Charlie's puzzled "Guys, where are we?" at the end of the second episode was terrific, but it's been downhill from there. More and more questions are raised and then all but ignored. The characters rarely ask questions or try to get to the bottom of things, which makes the viewer wonder if the survivors aren't the 48 least-curious people in the entire world.
  • It had the potential to be something original and great but by the end of season one it quickly became "blue-balling" hell.

6.6
    The thing that drew me into this so quickly was the pilot. It gave me a sense that this was going to be a show that loosely used the ideas from the book "Lord Of The Flies". That is, how would the human race react if it was taken away from civilation and forced to rely on each other to survive.

This theme is evident within the show, with people blaming other people for things gone wrong and killing each other over ridiculous reasons. What we quickly see is that there is a bigger picture to be realized. Suddenly the viewer is thrown a whole lot of puzzles and riddles and we are stuck to figure out the whole mess. This is the hook that kept me watching, but by the end of the season was the reason my taste for this show went from a 10 to a 6.

Solving the big picture is exciting. Don't get me wrong. However when you are given a whole lot of clues and NEVER any answers, you begin to wonder "What's the point?" I am honestly pondering whether or not the writers of this show even wrote what the big puzzle is. Don't get me wrong, there are certain clues that connect to each other, but by the end you are still left with an unsatisfied appetite.

Simply put, the show has a lot of build up with no big boom.
  • Lost is a show that would work as a movie, but asks too many questions and doesn't answer anything.

When Lost is good, it's good. The pilot had plenty of suspense and action, but for some reason the suspense was completely taken out for the rest of the season until the three-part finale. The 19 episodes in between were not very interesting. They relied on how much you liked the character that was the center of the backstory flashbacks. There were so many mysteries in Season One-- What is the monster? What is in the hatch? Why can Locke walk? What are The Numbers? Who are The Others? The season finale answered nothing. We may or may not have seen The Others and seen 2% of the monster. Besides that, we learned nothing. It makes you wonder if the writers even know the answers.
  • "Lost" has completely, well, LOST my interest.

When "LOST" began, it had more buzz than I had heard for a show in a while. I started watching out of curiosity and became immediately addicted. The characters were intriguing, the setting was cool, and the whole show was innovative and entertaining. Was. It seems, for me at least, that this show has been slowly going down hill. Maybe it was the fact that American Idol aired at the same time, but I just didn't feel a need to watch it. I wasn't craving the next episode. It LOST my interest. I don't know if I'll pick back up for the second season. I might try, but I won't count on it.
  • Kinda weird but cool in away I don't know how tho.

the show has its upsides and its downsides its kind of hard to know whats happening with all of the different stories going on at the same time so it gets confusing and crazy but the first reason i started to watch it was because I saw Dominic Monagan(spelling?) was in it. he was in the LOTR one of the hobbits. so I wanted to check that out and to my surprise he was a drugie! Wow thats nice. but then I got in to it and I watch it as offten as I can every wed. And each time I get more and more confused I guess its a good way to keep some one hooked.
  • Plane crashes on mysterious Island where many passengers survive and undergo implausible but exciting happenings. Left you wondering why these occurences are happening hoping for explanation.But becoming confusing and no end or explanation in sight.

2.5
    At first, good show but now writers making it up as show continues since the producers discovered it unexpectedly popular.Irrevelant characters introduced making it confusing and then you become lost. No real explanations for happenings "Jumped the shark" when characters wanted to return to Island. That's when I lost interest and stopped watching.
    If the show had concluded with all questions answered at end of second series, it would have been a good show, but now some of the characters want to back to the island after all the trauma they sustained in getting off it, it's lost its credibility and my interest. No longer bother watching it.
  • deepressing

ok first after i watch this show i got so depressed because its violent i know many people who love this show but its full of weapons no comedy what so ever i dont like any shows with weapons its just full of fighting and everyones to serious i mean enjoy your life watch some comedy also its always raining [ expression ] so i would never watch this show and thats also why i rated it 3 . 0 k now if you watch this show at least watch something non deprresing after like ,scrubs or something thatll crack u up
  • The first episodes were cool, now its getting lame.

6.6
    I totally loved Cast Away,(Tom Hanks movie). At first glance you would think of this. Before you continue reading I would like to say that I'm gonna spoil somethings, the first episodes were totally rad, but then creatures and lame supernatural stuff got in. I dont know but I dont like sci-fi shows, here we got a mix between Cast Away and Jurassic Park lol.

The cast is great, not many familiar faces but its good.
    The plot can get reaaally boring.

To sum up, its a great show, but its not my thing. So if you're gazing thru the channels and there's nothing better to watch tune in Lost for a good time.
  • Seinfeld often joked that it was the show about nothing. Nothing ever really happened, things never really changed, the stories were often ridiculous, etc. Despite these things, watching Seinfeld was entertaining. Like Seinfeld, Lost is also a show abo

Seinfeld often joked that it was the show about nothing. Nothing ever really happened, things never really changed, the stories were often ridiculous, etc. But in spite of these things, watching Seinfeld was entertaining.

Like Seinfeld, Lost is also a show about nothing. Nothing ever really happens, things never really change, and the stories are ridiculous. Unlike Seinfeld, watching Lost is a severe waste of time.

It seems like everyone says things about Lost like, "OMFG BEST SHOW EVARRR!!!1" or "this is TEH BRILLYANCE!" but all I see is the opposite. The writers have setup some neat things about the island and the people, but you have to sit through an entire episode where almost nothing happens before anything interesting is revealed. Lost strings you along week to week with these interesting ideas, then fails to develop them or just ignores them until the finale. Rather than develop these ideas or give the viewer something to think about, the writers of Lost have characters foolishly feud among eachother and waste 40 minutes of an episode, then throw in a cliffhanger or puzzling question at the end only to repeat the same thing next week.

Lost might be worth watching if all of the pointless crap was cut out and the writers had the characters not act like idiots so often. But as the show is, all you really need to see are the first couple of minutes of an episode and the last couple of minutes and you won't miss anything really important.
  • Interesting show but not one of my favorite

I only watch it when I've got nothing to do
    actually I only watched the first middle of the season and I read recaps of the end

I really can't understand why so many people are "addicted" to it, but I have to admit that I adore Matthew Fox and Naveen Andrews who play Jake and Sayid and that my only good reason to watch this show!
  • This so is decent!

0.5
    I mean the show everyone talks about I watch and expect to see some amazing stuff. I was bored. I watched the first epidose and it was interesting and it had its high points. But I was bored way too much. The ending to the season finale was lame. I think I will watch the first next season to see how it is but if it is just like season 1 no thanks short stop!
  • An ordinary show. Worth to watch if you feel particularily bored, but definately no crisis if you miss an episode or ten because you have something better to do.

4.4
    This show is definately overrated. It is ok to watch, but nothing more than that. There isn't really anything with this show that makes it special. The writers seems to be very fond of making cliffhangers, and I can see why. With a show like this, that is really the only reason you can get people to keep comming back. The entire first season would have been much better off as a 2-hour movie instead, could have cut back on all the waste of time this show was.
    I have watched the entire first season, mostly because I was bored, and the show is just plain average all the way through...
  • Maybe I\'ll try this show again when it\'s repeated.

Maybe I\'ll try this show again when it\'s repeated. It looked like it was good but its glacial pace turned me off. I\'m not sure how interested I am in a long drawn out mystery after suffering through X-Files\' innumberable non-climactic climaxes. And I thought to myself that I have enough serial dramas at the moment to keep up with, spoiled as I am these days with the new Battlestar Galactica and Desperate Housewives and Grey\'s Anatomy.
  • In a word, unique.

I am proud to count myself as amongst those who watched LOST while it was still airing on TV. Starting mid - way through Season Four, and joining in online discussion of the show, and wondering whether we'd find out something about Richard in the next episode, or if we'd ever find anything about the blast door, or pondering how the series would close was a magical experience that, unfortunately, no one will ever experience again. That genuinely makes me sad, because that was my favourite part of LOST. Now all it is to me is a brilliantly done show that has more themes, genres, and character building than any other story ever told through any medium. Ever.

Something that needs to be stated is that LOST, in fact, answered ever question ever posed on the show, and by the community of LOSTies across the net. Most were answered explicitly on the show. Others, implicitly. Some you had to work to figure out, but it was all there. I challenge anyone to provide me with a LOST mystery that can't be explained. What this has to do with the review is that it illustrates the point that this, this apparent lack of answers, is the reason most people give out when they say that the show was bad. Nobody falls mid - way on the spectrum. Nobody thinks LOST was good. You either loved it or you hated it, and that was the power this show had. This show was powerful, it cemented that fact in the opening ten minutes, and it stronly reaffirmed this in the closing ten minutes. The 121 episodes that fell in between were a joy to tune into, and still are. Hell, even Expose is defendable as still being an above average episode. The themes of light and dark, are designed as ambiguous in this series, and life and death as absolute. This themes are set in the background of this enthralling series that forces you to think, that makes you concentrate on each episode as unique, each episode lending a new genre to the show.

In short, if you've heard a bit about this show, and you've wondered, "Should I check this out?", then the answer is a resounding yes. It's dissapointing that you won't get the full experience, and that you can't dwell on the mysteries anymore (You'll just google it if you don't want to wait), but trust me. Even half the experience is worth it with this show.
  • Lost was probably the best network show ever. First three seasons were classic. Last three were only ok and answered some questions but it doesn't detract from the show being one of the greats.

I recently watched all of Lost again on DVD and in my opinion, it hold up great even knowing how it turned out.

The acting (especially from the regulars) was superb and seeing Lost again I definately see that they kept who was compelling and gave great performanced and got rid of those who did not work. The core of Jake, Locke, Sawyer, Kate, Hurley and Jin/Sun were really like hitting the lottery, as every character had a very interesting hook and the performances were top notch.

After that, every season brought in new characters where some were kept if they were good. Obviously Ben and Juliet were great and lasted until the final season.

Were all the characters compelling? no. The infamous tail section characters were mostly gone after one season except for Bernanrd (and Rose) who were mostly cameos and really only had one episode feature them. Re-watching the show, it is appearent to me Libby and Ana were written off for their alleged off set activities, as their arcs were tossed before really developing. Libby never even got one flashback episode. The boat people were underdeveloped (supposedly due to the writers strike) and even Daniel never really jelled.

Clair and Charlie were terrible..sorry, their acting was awful and I believe it was only fan sentiminet that kept them on the show for as long as did. Claire dissapeared with smokey in season four leaving her baby, which is all she cared about the whole time. They never explained that and it is obvious in rewatching she had one beat (my baby! my baby) and they had nowhere else to fo with her.

The first three seasons were great and will be what is remembered. It went downhill (appearent in rewatching) in strike shortened season four where the only saving grace was the island dissapearing. Season 5 was also shortened by then as fans started leaving and introduced the Dharma time traveling plot, where it really seemed the writers didn't know where to go with the series. (the nuke at the end was meaningless after seeing what the side flashes were in the final season) After watching season 5, there seemed to be no reason why the characters went back in time and they didn't really learn anything there.

Season 6 was the writers attempt to tie up the mythology by explaining Richard Jacob and Smokey and to me the explaination was ok. The final also was fine, but rendered the side flashes meaningless. (Jack never had a son..so what was the point of it? it makes no sense if you think about it)

However, the first three seasons were pure gold as the characters the acting from the "core" group and story is still mesmerizing to this day. No other show delivered more suspense and creepy "what is going on?" than this show did. If you judge a show by its journey and not the ending, there really has never been a better mystery on TV.
  • The best of them all? Yes... and no

Lost! The biggy! The Best! The one show that the other shows look up to *cough Heroes, Flashforward*. It is true... there is so much to love about this show. The acting from everyone is superb... especially from Micheal Emmerson as Ben, who is also my favourite charactor. The rest of the charactors are brilliant... on thought I can't think of a single one I don't like (okay... Nikki and Paulo but that goes without saying). Charactors you can invest in and feel for. That is what a show needs before it even gets going.

And that basically summs up season 1. A superb piece for charactor development, especially for Jack, Sawyer and Locke. But of course... there's the mystery.

And that can sometimes be the problem with Lost. It is a show you need to stick with right form the start or its very easy to get... lost. It frustrates you, it amazes you and only occasionally does it satisfy you. But... when it does satisfy it does it well. It improves season by season; season 5 was by far the best thing on TV this year (well, okay, with my other two favourite shows 24 and Supernatural very close behind.) All in all... a brilliant show that will go down in History and will never be forgotten. Let us hope that when May rolls along and we finally know how it all ends we will finally be satisfied... or i can imagine a certain Cartoln and Cuise being in very grave danger. The Others are coming in January!
  • Whether you disliked the ending or not, at the end of the day the journey is what counts...

Lost started out and continued to be a show that was unlike any other, due to its complex characters, mysteries and storylines. It was a show that kept you questioning constantly, and still does after it's end. Although myself, and possibly others, may have disliked some aspects of the ending, at the end of the day the journey is what matters. The first 5 series (for me) was pure brilliance. However, I personally, did not like how the show became focused on "protecting the island" and the character Jacob. There can't be any denial that the show left many transfixed into wanting to see more, and understand the character's past(s) and developments. Whether or not you loved the ending, you will always remember the ride the show took you on, moments that gave you goosebumps, deaths that made you cry and the characters you learned to either love or loathe.
  • To those fans who are going to bash the entire show just because you didn't like the ending, re-watch the show for what it really was-the story of Jacob bringing a number of flawed, incomplete souls to the island to find meaning in their lives-eachother.

Lost, throughout it's series, had many mysteries, answered quite a few of the biggest like why the survivors came to the island, The black rock, the origin of the Dharma initiative, the smoke monster, Adam and Eve, why the plane crashed, ect) and left many more up for interpretation. Still, if you watched solely for the answers, I believe you weren't watching closely. Much more complex than the thousands of mysteries were the relationships of the characters and the character's themselves. All of you had a favorite character, whether you liked the ending or not. Whether it was Jack or Locke, Hurley, Sawyer, Sayid, Kate or Juliet, Desmond or Charlie, or maybe even Miles you had a favorite. You also had favorite relationships and favorite friendships that were explored in many great episodes like "The Constant." The writers of Lost built these characters better than any other cast of characters in the history of television and spent six wonderful years telling the stories we could all relate to or at least sympathize with. Yes, the mysteries were a big part of the show but the characters were the show and with that said, all I have left to say is thank you for six wonderful years and a wonderful ending.
  • Typical of the best of Hollywood: Good, then trashed.

This series is typical of what hack Hollywood writers do to shows. Some good writer starts out with a good show, good plot, good finance, etc and creates a hit show. Then, after a few months, he/she gets bored and wants to do something else. Then new hacks come in and want to put THEIR spin on the show, without understanding why the audience has made it a hit.

Then it hits the crapper.

Lost is typical of this. It starts out intriguing and unusual, with charming and interesting characters, with lots and lots of latitude to go wonderful places with the plot.

Then the hacks come along and inject a hate-filled atmosphere, with unbelievable characters doing stoooopid things that no one would ever contemplate doing, just to service the lazy writing.

Just like "land developers": - Wow, what a beautiful lake. Let's develop it!
  • Literally the best ever!

LOST had me at hello...amazing drama, epic movie quality production values, characters and cast that rival any ensamble ever brought together...this is a once in a lifetime show and you owe it to yourself to experience it from season one to the end of season 6. IMO the best seasons are the perfect season one, the up and down of season 3, and the swan song of season 6...

This show stays with you long after you've seen every episode, and it holds up to repeat viewing in the way that Lord Of The Rings trilogy is a yearly watch for me, this show will be in my blu-ray player off and on for years to come!
  • WOW!

I hear a lot of people saying things about this show like, 'I hope I get the ending I deserve or I've wasted 6 years on this show". I do not understand this at all~ What kind of ending could possibly live up to that? And what are those people looking for exactly? The whole reason we care about this show is because it's been an awesome and entertaining story that has thrilled, entertained, and even comforted and moved us to tears. It's been an incredible and cathartic journey following characters who, like all of us, are deeply flawed and in search of redemption. Most of us have had hours of theorizing about certain plot lines with friends and co-workers for years now and all the fun and enjoyment has never been dependent on one single pay off at the end of the series. Moments like the first flash forward in season 3, finding out what was in the hatch, Desmond and Penny in the Constant, the raft launch, Sawyer's revelation about Jack's father from the bar in Sydney...All extraordinary payoffs this show has delivered and there have been so many...

I have truly enjoyed the journey this show has taken us on, and no final episode is going to change that. The writer's can end the show however they want to in my opinion...it's been worth it!
  • One of the Best Shows on Earth :)

I love this show. It kept me watching for weeks! I love how the story progressed and how they let the viewers connect to the characters. Yeah, it had bad moments and boring episodes. But the over all story was awesome. LOST just proved that "everything happens for a reason".

God. I miss this show. It's suuuuuper good. Very unpredictable. Exciting. Cool. Awesome.

I love it because it kept me thinking. The finale was freakin' mind buggling. Yes, it was confusing. Yes, there are some questions which aren't answered, but it was all worth it. Oh ABC, We need a spin-off!
  • A group of strangers find themselves bound together by fate after their plane crashes onto a deserted island, or is it?

This show is intense, every episode has me wanting more, and leaves me speechless to say the least. The writers are incredible, as is the genius behind this whole concept. I find the twisting story line sometimes confusing, yet completely astounding to say the least. It is a great show for those who love spontaneity, and unpredictable outcomes. Just when I thought I had it figured out it changes, shifts, and leaves me guessing once again. I am hooked every minute, and can't wait to finally know what the mystery behind this strange island is. Two thumbs up! A great watch for any mystery, or suspense seeker.
  • Lost: A show which for the first 5 seasons created many intense mysteries that left the viewers enticed and anxious for the next episode week in and week out. The 6th and Final Season pretty much is a hit & miss.

[[[SPOILERS]]]

I would've given the show a 10 had the finale actually revealed there being an alternate reality instead of an afterlife-limbo holding place. The end of season 5 had ended with Juliet hitting the bomb with a rock which was in the hatch that eventually with holds the electromagnetic energy that brings the plane down 30 years later. So this BEGGED the question..In the final season will the Losties had changed their destiny or will it not matter? When you watch LA X for the first time..you'll see that it seems both things are happening..and that it looks like in the series finale that these two timelines are about to merge somehow...Damon and Carlton pull out the limbo storyline..which seemed to not make any sense since Jack in the afterlife holding place has a son with Juliet...does his soul even exist? I'm by no means a Lost basher or hater since I've watched the Series Finale..I just thought the journey would build up to something unimaginable..but it turned out to be something completely the opposite. I was eagerly watching 'The End' waiting to see how the writers of Lost are going to merge two time lines together...but alas... no such thing.

No matter what though..Lost is one of the greatest television dramas in history and paved the way for storyline expectations in season-long ARC writing. 9.5 out of 10. Long Live Lost
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10