Lost

S.O.S.

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Apr 12, 2006 on ABC

Episode Fan Reviews page 4 of 4

• hmmm

i dont get all these people saying they are finding it hard to stay a fan. why?!? cos every episode isnt full of action? each episode relates to the story. the whole picture. although some episodes are more exciting than others. they all count. and i love them all. i think lost attracts too much of the wrong kind of television viewers. the kind of viewers that cause shows like arrested development to be cancelled before it manages to reach its conclusion at its own pace, and shows like hope and faith to live on well past the first terribly painful episode.

all i have to say is shut up and watch the show. and eventually we will find out what happens. only till the series is completely over (all 4 or 5 seasons) can really be allowed to comment on it. right now for all you know, this episode could be the most IMPORTANT in the whole story! its like reading a book halfway through, stopping at a part of the book with character exploration because its not "exciting", then saying it was a let down!

ITS NOT FINISHED. Shut up and watch the damn show. head over to dharma secrets and lets have fun discussing what could be happening in the show!
  • The writers finally give fans some answers to the show's many mysteries, although Rose and Bernard's backstory is predictable and dull.

When season 2 of Lost began I was hooked. I thought the first four episodes expanded the show's mythology by leaps and bounds, what with the introduction of Desmond and the Hatch, the aftermath of the attack on the Rafties, and the introduction of the Tailies, all while these episodes explored fertile emotional terrain for the characters. Then the Tailies merged with our main group of Castaways, and the season was downhill from there with little expansion of the mythology, little resolution to any of the show's major mysteries, sluggish storylines, predictable backstories, and the addition of a random Christian allegorical theme. That all changed with the brilliant introduction of Henry Gale in episode 14 of season 2, "One of Them." Since then we've had some mysteries answered while adding new ones: Who is Henry Gale, how many hatches are there, who is the "him" referred to be the bearded Other, how did Dharma drop off more supplies, what is the connection between Libby and Hurley at the mental hospital, and of course what does the question mark refer to in the center of the map? Last night we continued the theme of the island as a place of healing. We know, of course, that Locke had his paralysis healed by the island, Jin had his potency restored, and now that Rose had her cancer destroyed, presumably by the island as well. These mysterious healing powers must be responsible for Charlie's quick recovery from his hanging as well.
    Because of her belief that the island healed her, Rose protests Bernard's plan to build an SOS sign, believing that her cancer will return if she were to ever leave. This revelation certainly begs some answers as to what is actually causing this healing power, but this storyline offered no real answers. Rose's backstory was predictable and trite intercutting scenes of her first meeting with Bernard, their engagement, her revelation of her impending death, and Bernard taking her to a faith healer. It was such a textbook, bullet-point overview of their relationship, covering the most important moments and leaving the rest to our imagination. Ultimately, I found Rose to be a whiny, fatalistic, faith-deluded complainer, and Bernard to be a control freak with no people skills on the island or off.
    The storyline of Jack and Kate hiking into the jungle hoping to trade fake-Henry for Walt proves promising especially for the compelling cliffhanger, which I shall not spoil here. And I'm glad to see some romantic fireworks between our favorite cowboy doctor and fugitive femme fatale. Locke's frustration with trying to remember the map proves interesting, for it begs the questions: what will he do to see it again, and will he want to explore the middle of the island to find the mysterious question mark? I do love the thematic juxtaposition of Rose discovering her faith in the island and sharing it with Bernard right as Locke begins to question his own faith. And speaking of faith, couldn't there be something better for Eko and Charlie to do than build a church? Does Eko just assume that everyone on the island are Christians, or does he plan to start evangelizing. Let's just say, I'm out of this show once he holds the first island revival meeting. Overall, excellent episode because of the intriguing developments on the island not the predictable backstory.
  • Naysayers need to look at this episode in context. Perhaps uneventful if you've been waiting for weeks, but in the bigger picture, it fits in well.

I have a unique POV of Lost, since I bought season 1 without ever having seen an episode, downloaded episodes 1-18 on iTunes and watched all 42 episodes in 7 days.

S.O.S. was the first episode I've watched on live T.V.

I can see how long-time Lost fans would have been frustrated with this episode and even Dave, but you have to try to look at the big picture.

One thing that did occur to me was that pehaps the writers have gone a little too fast with story development and need to slow things down a bit. It's been pointed out already that this is the first episode to contain "flashbacks" cetered around non-contract characters.

Even though Rose had only been in about three episodes in season one, I knew there was something very unique about her and this episode confirmed it. In typical Lost fashion, the creators wait until the end of season two to give us insight into a mysterious character.

This episode also provides what I figure is the second conscious connection between two characters on the island before the crash. Though not spoken directly, it would seem that Rose remembers having contact with Locke at the airport. The only other conscious connection would have been Sawyer telling Jack about meeting his father.

Another very interesting elemet to the show was the strange cut to inside the "holding cell" when John is yelling to 'henry' about whether or not he pushed the button. How often do you recall a shot of an outsider giving such a reveal with a reaction to a primary character that only we can see?

Although it may have been formulaic and predictable (because I found it to be both of those things) it was still moving the story along more than people give it credit for.

And now I begin the waiting game most of you have played for two years. I have to wait two or three weeks for the next new episode.
  • Continues Great Character Development

This show is quite wonderful and very well written. From some of the reviews that some on here have given it, it is pretty clear that some cannot enjoy a show that takes its time in presenting a story, i.e. some of these reviewers would not be reading The Brothers Karamazov.

This particular episode looks at two minor characters and shows a bit of their life before the island. This episode attempts to further enhance the mystical properties of the island and its regenerative powers. Now two members of this flight have been healed.

The most enjoyable parts of the whole story of Lost is the conflict with the Others, and the writers of the show need to realize that they cannot shove this aside too often, or they will lose viewers who lack the patience for a long story. I can only hope the finale of season two reveals some great mysteries about the Others.

In the trailer for the next episode, Michael says that the Others are not really that strong. Interesting.....Is Michael right? or was he captured, brainwashed, and released back to further toy with the crash survivors?

We shall see.

To those who are getting bored, I say, go read Dostoyevsky. :)
  • This episode actually answered more questions than it posed. Good non-action episode.

Though I\'m sure some people think this was a \'filler\' episode, but think about it:

This might of been the first episode ever that more questions were ANSWERED than posed!

1. What is Eko building? answered.
    2. Did Kate tell anybody about the medical hatch? answered.
    3. Who knew about Locke\'s dissability? answered.
    4. Is the island a healer? answered definitely.
    5. Is Micheal alive? answered.
    6. Does Henry know about the Others? answered definitely.
    7. What is Rose/Benards backstory? answered.
    8. Did Locke remember the map? answered.
  • Another boring and meaningless episode, with an ending I saw coming.

2.7
    So Rose, is not the holy woman she appeared to be from season one to now.....she lies just like the rest of us.

I'm tired of the same old boring trend that Lost has been reduced to. Season one flashbacks were interesting but it seems the writers have no idea what to do anymore.

I happy to say that I saw the ending coming.....I knew that was Micheal before he appeared. It was about time he came back.
  • Every single week that passes, my interest in this show decreases at a rapid pace.

Great.....more reruns coming. But really, I think I might just have to give up on lost next year. I will finish season 2 because I am sure something interesting HAS to happen for the season finale. But for me, I was never a fan of the flashbacks. I am a fan of what's going on with the island. And since they are going to drag that out as long as possible, I am stuck most of the time with my least favorite part of the show. Some episodes with the flashbacks are good, but I need a nice mix of flashback heavy shows, and island heavy shows. Except the island heavy shows has to actually give me some interesting information to keep my interest. None of this showing some map on a wall and not deal with that again till season 4 (at this rate). How about show me the map AND have some explaination of it the next episode from GALE. (I do like that Locke is going crazy though, that is the only thing interesting to me right now character wise, because ITS DIFFERENT) When I watched season one, I had favorite characters and I was interested in watching the interaction between them. Now I can care less. I don't know but the past 10-13 episodes has just killed my interest in Lost. And really, do you think we are going to find out anything interesting or have any concrete answers any time soon? Here is a show that ABC wants to keep for many many years. I would guess at least 7 or 8 seasons if the ratings hold up. So they have to drag the questions on for a long time. And I really get the sense that in Season one they gave questions and some answers and moved the island story arc at a nice pace to get viewers hooked. Once they got the viewers and realized "damn, we need to stretch this 7 more years" they have slowed everything to a crawl. Here is an example of my favorite episode the past few months -- the one about Claires baby, gave some answers, brought up new questions but it at least DEALT with the issues at hand. Perfect mixture in my mind. But since then? We have this Gale guy who is a Other. I am thinking "good, next episode we are going to find out something" Nope. Nothing. (except for the numbers running out and nothing happing...WHICH we are still not sure if thats true or not) Alright, "maybe THIS episode we will find out something concrete"... nothing expect for seeing Michael for a moment and now its another 2 weeks till we find out anything about that. Any guess's that Michael will be still unconsious for the first 59 minutes of the next episode and then will wake up just to say one word and then credits? Sorry ladies and gentlemen, but Lost is just showing it's title is true...the writers of this show are lost on how to drag this thing out and find that right balance of story-telling. I have seen the 24 vs Lost conversations, and really it should be 24 vs. Sopranos. Lost does not belong in the same conversation.
  • Not the greatest episode, but it was still good with a little surprise at the end.

This episode of Lost wasn't the greatest. There were no pivotal scenes or shocks this weak, but it was interesting nonetheless.

This episode focused on Rose and Bernard. That was a first for Lost because they didn't have flashbacks involving the major characters. We also got a few quick scenes of the other survivors who we haven't seen during Lost's two seasons. That was a little different too.

We also see that Jack and Kate are rekindling their crazy relationship as well, and this is the episode where Kate finally tells Jack about the other hatch they found when her and Claire went looking for the Rousseau. She explains about the costumes and make-up kit. It was a subtle way of tying one loose end up, and at the end of the episode we get another loose end answered when one of the survivors who had dissappeared for awhile returns.

Sawyer as usual is his sarcastic self and Lost's comic relief. I know he annoys me at times, but I still like the character even if he is a pain in the a$$. What would we do without him. He would be likely missed.

Good episode. Nothing more and nothing less. At least Lost hasn't fallen into that trap they were getting themselves caught in earlier in the season when I was ready to stop watching.
  • Rose is surprisingly and vehemently opposed to Bernard's plan to create an S.O.S. signal; romantic sparks are rekindled between Jack and Kate when they trek into the jungle to propose a "trade" with "The Others"; and Locke is no more concerned about pushi

It just couldn't get worse. Why can't the Lost writers focus on the main characters only. Why the hell do they have to keep going off track again and again. Wasn't the previous stupid episode on Hurley not enough that they got Rose and Bernard this time ? Who cares what happened in te previous life of these two ? And I think they have finally shown that no one is going to try and get out of that damn island. All seem to have their peace with it. This is just too stupid. And what happened to Kate's role ? Wasn't she supposed to be their hero ? Where has she disappeared all of a sudden ?
  • treading water and tieing up some plot logic.

I had a very odd feeeling watching this episode. It felt like a Season 1 character introduction episode. It was nicely played, had some great location shots and had some good moments but overall it was unexceptional.

As usual with the Season 2 formula we bounced off the main plot into a character establishing tangent. Thankfully this episode at least attempted to satisfy some missing plot logic amongst the trivialities.

At last someone finally remembered they are stranded on a desert island and should really be trying to get off. We also find out the reason why the writer's think the castaways would skip mention of important events - like finding the medical bunker. In that case it was just Kate was being difficult. Although that doesn't explain why Claire wouldn't have told someone by now. It's not as if she's going to forget because something interesting happened in Desperate Housewives the night before.

We also get to see Vincent again. He's had a very long walkies this season.

And Jack really should have borrowed a knife from Locke. He should know better by now that treading into the jungle, can be a bit er, dangerous.

Another element which left me thinking we were back in Season 1 was the over reliance on the plot twists. You could see the outcome of Rose's story as soon as her illness was mentioned. In the same way the suprise guest at the end wasn't a big surprise. In season 1 this might have been new, but we've been there before several times by now. It would be more of a surprise if something didn't happen. Or perhaps if they just continued with the main plot instead of stretching it out wafer thin over 8 episodes and relying on by now familiar "mystical" plot devices for each character.

There was a time when each episode ended it had me dying for more - it was must see TV. Now each episode ends with a whimper because I know that the ending has little resonance in the next episode. I'm at the point now where if I miss an episode I know that in most cases very little of importance happened.

By now I have come to view the trailers for each upcoming episode as not at all representative of the story. S.O.S, like the majority of recent episodes, skips past the important and more dramatic story in a few tiny uneventful flashes.

So my advice to people who are getting jaded with this season and don't see any focus for the storyline, is not to expect any plot development or building end-of-season tension. Ignore the trailers. Just hope for an interesting and well written flashback, because that's all we're getting this year.

Might as well make the most of it.
  • Very interesting.

I was surprised and pleased that Rose and Bernard's stories were highlighted in this episode, something that hasn't been done before and turned out to be an entertaining story as well. Seems I'm one of the few that thinks that, but what I found most interesting about this episode was the revelation that someone on the island knows Locke's secret. (Besides Walt.) What's more, Locke seems to know that Rose is aware of his condition, and it was nice to see the two of them have a shared sense of faith and bewilderment at the island's mysterious power to heal. Locke's recovery has been, for me, the most intriguing of the island's secrets, and it was good to see it brought back to the forefront for an episode, and with a different character.

Also, Isaac mentioned that certain places have energies that people can tap into, and I'm beginning to think that electro-magnet on the island has something to do with them. We still know very little about the strong magnetic field present on the island, but we do know that Sayid showed Jack a compass last season which was displaying a puzzling reading, the result of which could only be from a magnetic anomaly. I hope they reveal more on this soon.
  • Finally he returns

Where do I begin? Rose and Bernard get a flashback, which i really didnt like, I have two reasons why.

1. they arnt even cast members, they are guest stars and this could have been used for a full cast member.

2. The flashback was completely boring and ran to long.

as for what they did on the island I didnt mind, I dont care for these two but I guess the writers wanted us to get to know them.

Locke has a difficult time dealing with the hatch. His willingness to press the button is gone becuase of an evil Henry, but he does try and remeber what he saw on the door which will lead him in an upcoming ep.

I liked Jack and Kate's part in this ep the best. They are getting closer but I still cant tell who she will end up with. The trade didnt work but they still got someone..... Michael. As this season comes closer to ending I belive Michael will play a big part, I look forward to it.
  • The episode provided a look at the background of Rose and Bernard. We see the kind heart of Bernard as well as the grating qualities of his personality. We are also reminded of the special nature of the island. Nice reference to Gilligan's Island too.

The series continues its recent run of excellent episodes after a bit of a lull in mid-winter. “S.O.S.” reveals how Rose and Bernard met, up in snowy Buffalo, New York. Rose's car is stuck in the snow and Bernard helps her out. Rose takes the initiative and asks Bernard out for coffee. Later, they are seen dining in a restaurant overlooking Niagara Falls, both the (Canadian) Horseshoe Falls and the American Falls. Bernard proposes but Rose tells him she only has a year to live. Bernard wants to marry her anyway. Bernard's response to Rose's illness highlights both the positive and negative aspects of his personality. He shows his true commitment to Rose by marrying her despite her terminal illness. He also shows his impatience as he tries to find a cure.

His quest leads them to Australia and Uluru (also known as Ayers Rock) where he finds a faith healer by the name of Isaac of Uluru. Though Issac can't do anything for Rose, he tells her that there are special places on the Earth where the energy can affect a person. Uluru is not the place for Rose but he suggests there might be another place. Rose decides to tell Bernard that Isaac healed her so that he won't continue his search for a cure.

Locke is frustrated because he doesn't know if Henry lied when he said he didn't enter the numbers during the lockdown. He is still using crutches. His restlessness leads him to the beach where Rose finds him in her old spot. She tells him that he will be up and about in no time at all. When Locke says that Jack told him it would be four weeks, Rose says that they both know it won't take that long. She gives him a long, knowing look. They both understand that the Island has cured them of their conditions and it's clear that Rose and Locke know about the effect of the Island on the other person. How do they know? Did their cure allow them to sense a similar state in other people?

Bernard's effort to build a large S.O.S. sign on the beach using black, volcanic rock is reminiscent of the episode “Splashdown” from Gilligan's Island. The castaways built a large S.O.S. sign using burning logs so that a spacecraft passing overhead would see it. Unfortunately Gilligan fouled up the plan as usual. Likewise, Bernard's plan didn't go so well. His abrasive management style drove all of the volunteers away. Rose tells him that she lied about Isaac and her illness. She is cured but it is because of the Island. Bernard realizes that Rose, like Locke, does not want to leave the Island. She is healthier here than on the outside world. He vows that neither of them will ever leave.

The story was about finding inner peace and hope. Bernard discovered that it's not always necessary to travel and look elsewhere for the answers (although if Bernard hadn't taken Rose to Uluru, they would never have been on Oceanic Flight 815 and they wouldn't have crashed on the Island). Sometimes the answers are right in front of you and you don't have to perform great feats to find them. Eko, who was building a church, told him something similar. When Bernard said that he was trying to save everyone by getting them rescued, Eko said that “People are saved in different ways, Bernard.” Indeed. The end of the episode showed scenes of contentment among the survivors as Jin took quiet pleasure in Sun's pregnancy and Claire cared for her baby.

But, as you know, “Lost” is not only about character studies and hope. It's also about drama and action. We received a dose of it at the end as someone made a surprising return. There promises to be a lot of action in the following episode. Tune in next time to see what happens. I know I will.
  • All of you are morons, you need to realize what lost is about.

This episode was good nonetheless. It revealed several things that were sort of important. Since everyone already wrote what they thought about the show, i will write what i thought. I believe this show was not the best, but it weas not the worst. Also, some of the ppl that wrote reviews said that there getting tired of how some lost episodes have suprises at the end. Well, i hate to break it to you, but they have been doing that on all the episodes except for like 2 or 3. So stop whining because thats what puts interest into the show, the wait, and then the random episode that answers all the questions, such as the season finale that is coming up. So please, stop whining because its getting near the end of the season, and this is what they did last season, filler stuff.
  • Bernard wants to make a signal in an attempt to be rescued, while Rose is against the plan. Jack and Kate venture into the forest in an attempt to trade Henry Gale for Walt.

Well, its exactly what Lost has been doing this entire season. A somewhat pointless episode with a \"big\" ending sometimes leading to a 3 week break.

We finally learn what Rose and Bernard were doing in Australia, which is nice to know, but somewhat irrelevant, and not exactly something you would want to learn this late into the season. The bulk of this episode was somewhat repetive; Bernard wants to make a signal in an attempt to get rescued, and he gathers some people to do so, and people constantly keep losing faith in the plan, which is what most of this episode is about.

Locke, on the other hand, is trying to draw whatever it was he saw on the blast doors in the hatch, which seems to be kind of pointless.

Jack and Kate, who happen to have the most interesting part in this episode, have the least time of the side stories.

Then the final twist comes, which I wont spoil. I saw this twist coming, but it was still interesting.

This episode was meant to be a character development episode, but it ended up being a filler episode. Hopefully, they will continue the story in the next episode, and not do what they have done in many episodes in which they have a \"big ending\" which is never followed up on.

Beware: Henry Gale\'s smile may haunt you.
  • blueballin' it

here we go on yet another big lost break where the writers can sit around their lacquered one-piece felled ancient redwood board table and wring the juice out of their already drippin' stress-induced sweat rags onto carefully itemized agendas detailing statistics on demographics, ratios, and sustainability.
    Q: "how'm i gonna pay of my two jags and my summer home on kauaʻi this season j.j.?"
    A: "well, we can bring back michael for starters..."
  • BOOOOORING

2.4
    I have to say this episode has been the least in "progress" of all!! Locke, Rose, and Bernard were the basic charecters. The only thing i enjoyed was the scene with Kate and Jack and where Jack is screaming. I won't be able to wait for the next episode, in two weeks (I think) since their basicly hasn't been any attributes to the story. I do think this episode was a basis so the creators could build more about the "Mystical propeties" of the island.
  • Utterly useless filler crap

1.1
    What the hell is up with Lost? Its just filler after filler after filler. 2 minutes of interest every hour is NOT on. Commercials are MORE than 20 minutes of each episode, and absolutely nothings happening. Now i have to wait a MONTH for something? What\'s next episode gonna be like? 50 minutes of boredom till the last few minutes something happens to leave you hanging again?

Writers of Lost- get some bloody DIRECTION back in your writing. You\'re losing your most loyal fans fast...
  • What an utterly boring and useless episode.

2.4
    IF there was only one part that was worth it, it was when Rose saw Locke in the wheelchair and understood the healing properties of the island. I like that mystical stuff. Also the ending was quiet good, Dieing to find out what happened to everyone\\\'s favorite dad. Other then that! The episode was boring, dead, nothing happened. It was no interesting at all!
  • Rose and Bernard finally get their own episode, and Henry continues being really creepy.

Tonight's episode centered around two characters who have never got their own flashback episode before - Rose and Bernard. While some people may think that Rose and Bernard don't need a flashback episode, I think that it added to the overall character development of the show, and was a chance to get some more interesting facts about the two of them.

In the past, we get to witness the meeting of Rose and Bernard, the proposal of Bernard to Rose, and their honeymoon. The honeymoon is not what you'd think, because it turns out that Rose has an incurable disease that is going to kill her very soon. Bernard takes Rose to see a faith healer, and although it doesn't work, Rose tells Bernard that it does so that they can enjoy what time they have left together. I can see how some people might find the flashbacks boring (especially for such a late season episode), but I found that they were actually quite interesting, and really added depth to both Rose and Bernard. It was weird seeing Rose angry so much, and the extra development time for Bernard was nice.

On the island, Rose and Bernard argue about Bernard's plan to set up a massive S.O.S. (hence the title) to get rescued. I myself appreciated this storyline, because I was wondering why nobody seems to want to leave the island anymore. It was nice seeing all the characters being used, and it was cool finally knowing what Eko is building (although many had already suspected as much). To cap it all off, the surprising connection between Locke and Rose was neat to see, and I know that there will be many more of these connection between the survivors in the future (Boone or Shannon maybe?).

Besides Rose and Bernard, I really enjoyed Locke this episode. He seems to be on a journey to find his true purpose on the island, and it was awesome seeing him remember that diagram. Jack and Kate go off into the jungle to find the Others and make a trade for Henry. At the very end, we get a nice surprise, one that I think will have some major ripples throughout the final episodes of the season.

Overall, while not the huge episode that I expected (being before the last break and all), it was still a satisfying one nonetheless. We got to see some more characters in-depth, and we also got some more on Henry (that creepy smile will haunt my nightmares!). The episode was great, and I can't wait until the break is over, because it's going to get a lot more crazy from here on out.

(Don't forget to visit www.theislandoflost.com for all your Lost needs!)
  • This was a wery good ep of lost, I love it and Glag Påsk på er alla.

Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good Good.
1 2 3 4 >