Lost

Something Nice Back Home

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM May 01, 2008 on ABC

• this was a good old school lost episode! No matter what other people say, I just like that type of episodes so much!

So this episode was written by Eddy and Adam, so it must be goood. They wrote "GReatest hits" and "Tricia Tanaka is dead" as well as "confirmed dead". All great episodes. I really liked the flashfoward of jack and kate being together...
    Everybody in this episode has something to do like in the old ones...even rose is back and more important than ever..
    I enjoyed them helping jack and th etalk between kate and jack i think they will still end up together in the future...
    thank god they didnt end the episode with a flash...i like it when it ends on the island...i miss episode endings with music and no real cliffhanger...please give them back to us....
  • Kate and Jack play house in a world full of self deception.

It is rather sad that Kate's character has been reduced to an empty doll Jack and Sawyer fight over. Or rather one their crazy shippers fight over. Kate's role in the future is simply to be Jack's side kick and it's a sad sight. Because if you believe that making Kate one of the oceanic 6 and giving her Aaron had nothing to do with Jack and the love triangle, then you are delusional. It feels that the writers, in their misguided quest to continue this horrid love triangle going, decided to finally throw the Jaters a bone. We get a rushed, empty, dysfunctional "relationship" which crashes faster than you can say "I'm bored". As usual, things always have to revolve around Jack. Even his proposal, as he only proposed after getting Kate to reassure him that he's good enough. But then that's all his actions have been about, no? Him trying to prove to himself and his father that he IS a hero. That he can do great things. That he is not worthless. And that is what Kate, with her blind adoration, offers him. This was a poor episode and the only reason I didn't rate it lower is because for once, Jack is becoming a somewhat interesting character. And it's about time.

Unfortunately, as I stated before, Kate is useless as a character and has been for many seasons now. It seems that she all of a sudden desired a child overnight. How did she get there? What changed? How the hell does Kate feel about anything? Why is this woman's character never really dissected and developed? It's sickening sometimes what TPTB do to the women on this show.
  • We see Jack in the future with Kate & Claire goers missing......

7.8
    This episode is a Jack centred one. In this episode Jack becomes Ill and collapses in front of everyone. We then see Jack and Kate in the future, living in the same house. We see Kate getting out of the shower and she and Jack kiss. We see Jack reading to Aaron.
    Back on the island we see Miles walking through the jungle to get to the beach, and he discovers the body of the French woman and Carl. Claire seems shock up by it. Sawyer promises her that everything will be fine. Jack thinks that he has food poisoning whilst Juliet tells him (after an examination) that it's his appendix and they are going to have to take it out. Sun and a few others go to the medical centre to get the medical supplies needed for Jack's operation. Future Jack goes to see Hurley in his mental ward. Hurley is convinced that they are all dead and that they need got off of the island. Hurley gives Jack a message from Charlie "Your not suppose to raise him" and that someone will be visiting him soon.
    The army men are still alive and are being helped by the pilot of the chopper. In the future Jack asks Kate to marry him. He gives her a ring and with tears of joy, she says yes. We learn that Charlotte speaks Korean, and Jin tells her that when the helicopter comes back she is to take Sun with her, when she leaves the island.
    Jack's operation gets under way and he shouts out in pain and Kate starts cry. In the future we see Jack going home and he takes some tablets to help him sleep. Back on the island Claire wakes up and sees her father holding Aaron. Kate is acting odd in the future and seems though she is having an affair, Jack asks her out right where she was and what is going on. She admits that she was doing something for Sawyer. But she won't admit to him what it is. She says she isn't having him like that around her son and he goes on about how she isn't even related to him, she starts to well up and Aaron appears in the hallway. As Sawyer wakes up and discovers that Claire is missing, he hears Aaron crying. He calls out her name but she doesn't answer, he instead finds Aaron under a tree. Claire is missing.
  • Something of a let down, but a couple of modest reveals along the way

Up until, the flashforwards haven't shown much involvement within the Oceanic 6. We know that Sun and Hurley seem to have broken away; we knows Hurley's now institutionalized, and in the last episode, we saw the real reason Sayid has become Ben's hitman. About the only thing that's been unclear is what has been leading Jack from the stable person we saw in 'The Beginning of the End' and 'Eggtown' to the tottering wreck he was in 'Through the Looking Glass' It's even harder to believe him from the opening scenes of this episode, where he seems to be playing house with Kate and Aaron, more at peace than he's ever been at any time on the series.
    But as everybody who's been watching the show by now knows, Jack is his own worst enemy. His compulsive need to fix things lead and need to constantly do better have shaped him all this way. All his life he has been under the strain of being Christian's son, and he has loved and hated his father for it. Maybe he thought that on the island he could get away from it, but as we've seen repeatedly, Christian is still a presence on the island. Now, not surprisingly, the pressure of his father is what leads to him destroying the first really good thing he's had in his life. Even after all the things he saw on the island, he still can't accept the evidence of his eyes. He'll only get there after he completely destroys himself.

All of this is accelerated by a visit to Hurley, who in the years between his return to Santa Rosa really seems to have lost any impetus to help himself. He is now convinced that everyone on the island is dead, including Jack , Kate and himself. It's hard to argue when you know that he's seeing his own ghosts --- the difference is, he now believes them. Jack tries to stave off his own problems by proposing to Kate, but all that does is hasten his own degeneration. In a sense, we saw Jack destroy his marriage to Sarah because he couldn't let things go, and he essentially does the same thing involving Kate. It's hard to figure out what kind of promise she's keeping for Sawyer, but his mere mention seems to completely unseat the foundation of their relationship. (This is supremely ironic considering what will happen when Jack does return to the island)

In the here and now, the major action doesn't have a lot of suspense. Jack's suddenly coming down with appendicitis isn't much of a cliffhanger, considering that the very flashforward demonstrates that he will survive it. What is far more telling is how much Jack tries to control even his own surgery. There is something very telling in the fact that even though Juliet is performing the operation, he still wants Kate to be in the room. Indeed, Bernard has to chloroform him for anything constructive to happen. Equally telling is what Rose has picked up (and what might have concerned the fans as well). If nobody on the island has gotten sick, and the healing process is accelerated, why did Jack's appendix suddenly become infected at such a critical point? We know the island won't let him die, but it's becoming clear that it also doesn't want to let him leave.

Meanwhile, in the jungle, Sawyer is leading his own group of people back to the beach. He seems determined to protect Claire and Aaron from something--- as if he knows there's even more danger out there for her. (Then again, a smoke monster and a bloodthirsty band of mercenaries is pretty dangerous on its own.) He runs into Keamy and the mercenaries, who are bloodied, but not completely broken. (Widmore must be paying them millions to keep this up). But it's all futile, because in the end, he loses Claire in one of the more shocking scenes of the episode. Claire wakes in the middle of the night to see Christian holding Aaron, something that would be difficult for a ghost to do. Claire says "Dad?", we get a scene break, and when daylight comes Claire is gone, and she's abandoned Aaron. There was a popular theory on the net that everyone thought Claire might have died while in the barracks. Since we now know that this is not the case, the question arises: why would the island choose to separate Claire from her baby? Why does Christian appear both to Jack and into Claire, aside from their filial bonds? For that matter, why did Miles, who said he saw Claire walk into the woods with a man, just let her do it? Maybe he thought that Claire was already dead. Still, a guy in a suit appears in your camp, and you don't let anything happen. Seems like Miles has been taking his lessons on the island from everyone else.

Sawyer and Jack seem to be in the process of reversing roles. Jack will deliberately hurt everyone around him, have a singular obsession that rules him, and will end up broken and alone. Sawyer is becoming heroic, making bold talk, rushing out to save people. And given the way things are on and off the island, it's looking like Kate still won't be able to make a clear choice between them. Even now as the series winds down, she doesn't seem to have been happy with either one. Perhaps her final choice will come down to Aaron. 'Something Nice Back Home' is a pretty good episode, and given the information that we get, we can't exactly classify it as a filler. There were some great dialogue between Miles and Sawyer (a match made in snark heaven) a little revelation about Charlotte that makes Jin reveal his brutal side yet again, and all those Jack and Kate shippers must have loved the flashforwards. Still, considering that the main action seems to be happening in the jungle and back on the freighter (what the hell have Sayid and Desmond been doing the last two episodes?) I can't help that it feels a bit less developed than the rest of Season 4. Jack may be tottering on the brink of his sanity, but he doesn't know that the real craziness is still to come.
    My score:8.5
  • Jack has his appendix removed.

Let me just say that even LOST's worst episodes (and this was clearly not their worst) are far better than just about everything else on TV. LOST is the top show on "the tube" right now, and there is no intelligent debate that can be brought up against that point. With all that in consideration, this was not a strong hour of the show.

While the acting was decent, and the ending was an okay cliffhanger (poor by LOST standards though) you could've watched that last five minutes of the show and not missed a single thing. Where are Desmond and Sayid? Are they okay? What's going on with Locke and Ben? This was such an isolated episode, and it was hard to feel compassion when Jack, Kate and Juliet have been pushed out of the spotlight in recent weeks. Not to mention Jack's appendix was not exactly the most hyped storyline in the world.

Development. Building. These are not just terms that are used by construction workers. The job of the writer is to develop an entertaining story that builds toward a climatic moment. There was no true emotion regarding Jack's surgery. Did anyone think he was going to actually die?

Miles and Sawyer are developing an interesting bond and should be nice to see what this builds toward. Still though, it's hard to get into anything Claire does on the show, and I could care less where she is right now. It's not just that the actress portraying her fails to take over the screen it's just that there are more important things on the viewers mind. We're no more anticipated toward next week's episode now than we would be had she not disappeared.
  • Jack and Kate are together

This is a wonderful episode, through the flashforward we learn that Kate and Jack are a couple and that they also got engaged! Jack visits Hurley in the mendal clinic and Hurley says to him that he saw Charlie and he gave him a note to deliver to him. The note wrote "You are not supposed to raise him",and obviously he meant Aaron. In addition,we find out how Jack started to drink and became depressed. That's because his father's spirit (black smoke?) visits him and Jack starts taking pills to avoid seeing him. At the end of the flashforward, we see that his relationship with Kate starts changing, and it seems that they are going to break up.
    On the island, Juliet has to remove Jack's appendix. Bernand and Kate help her as well.
    Sawyer,Miles and Claire are on their way to the beach. However,during the night, Jack's/Claire's father appear and takes Claire somewhere with him. When Sawyer finds out about it the next morning, he starts looking for her and he finds Aaron alone in the jungle.
    Great episode which prepares us for what's coming next!
  • Pretty great episode, I'll eat my hat

Well, I have to take back my prediction that Danielle was just wounded a few episodes ago. But at the time I thought they couldn't possibly have dispatched such an important recurring character with such little fanfare, so she must just be wounded. Nope, dead and rotting in the ground. Oh well, if there's one thing we've come to expect -- and this episode has made it even clearer -- is that people don't stop being characters on the show just because they're dead. Look at Jack / Claire's father. He's been dead since before episode 1 and he's one of the most recurring of all. And now back in the forefront.

And how did you like the way they spoon fed us Jack's incongruous sickness with that Rose & Bernard exchange while washing down the operating table: "Nobody gets sick here, don't you think it's odd that the day before we're supposed to get rescued.." and so on. I know the writers have to do that from time to time to make some pivotal plot points crystal clear to the casual viewer but that one stuck out as particularly in your face. Usually the task lies with Hurley and he does it more organically.

Interesting point: Jack yells at Kate, "You're not even related to him." Him in this case being Aaron. Does this imply that Jack knows at this point in the future that Aaron is his nephew (ok, half-nephew)? It might.

I think this episode brought out a problem with the flash forward plot device. It's hard to put them in chronological order. For example, the very first flash forward of them all had Jack and Kate meeting at the airport. Was that before or after their engagement? Is Hurley's re-admission into the psych clinic before or after his visit with Sun and her son to visit Jin's grave. And Jack's slide into drug and alcohol abuse, where does that figure in? Maybe it's too early to complain. It will probably get filled in better as time goes on. And one last thing: I was a little disappointed that the smoke monster couldn't do more than bloody the face of just one of the six mercenaries. It appears to be all smoke and no bite.
  • I like when lost gets subtle...they are at the height of their powers when they tell Character stories!

This was a really great episode I thought...It was not the same as last weeks or the amazing season four offering, "The Constant" but the reason I give it such a high rating is that is was amazing in more subtle ways of how it dealt with very important set up and relationship info that would not be believable without episodes like this to move things along...people who just want the action or mystery elements may forget the show from season 1 where this episode would have fit in perfectly...for this return to form with the writing and acting I give it a 10, not that I would want the show to go back to this style permanently, but I think LOST gets a bad rap when they remember their roots from the newer fans who forget how to appreciate the nuanced wonder that is LOST>
  • Meh.

What was the point to this episode? 40 seceonds waiting for Jack to opens up his eyes in the opening scene epitomise just how much time this episodes wastes. Much feels pointless and not exactly gripping. I think like everyone else there so much more we want to see than Jack survive surgery! Whats the point to him and why should I care, can we see the people that have interesting connections to the Island please! Ok I dont like him, so thats unfair, but it was a waste of time, valuble minutes are lost! Of course, not wanting to spoil too much, all the revelations adding to the key storylines, were ace! On a personal note seeing Rose and her husband back in action was a good treat. Throwing back into play some old fan theories was great! Are they dead? Love it! Finding out the fate of Rosseu was not so good. To a large degree this episode was almost a disaster, and it definatly wasted time; it was not all that important, and everything big we found out could have been done in many other ways. Nevertheless it was a high quality episode with no bad choices besides not being too interesting. Its still Lost so still a cut above the large portion of show at it worst. This episode wasn't at its worst
  • The beauty of this puzzle isn't the fact that all the pieces fit with such precision, but the near-terrifying control with which those pieces are dispensed.

"Through the Looking Glass" showed us the future in which a cried-out, tired Kate can no longer stand to look at the obsessive, self-destructive force Jack has become off the island. "The Beginning of the End" immediately followed this up by showing us a Jack who is still employed as a surgeon and one who has only begun to drink.

HERE THERE BE SPOILERS!

The tragic beauty of this story is in watching the unapologetic pieces fall into place and being able to consciously observe the way they make us feel. We KNOW how close Jack will come to committing suicide. We KNOW that Kate won't be able to speak with him. We KNOW that their happiness isn't meant to last. And yet, as "Something Nice Back Home" deliberately unravels the post-island future of the Oceanic 6 following the completion of Kate's trial, we can't help but sigh as Jack finally expresses his love for Kate and subsequently proceeds to self-destruct. Even in knowing exactly what will happen, what MUST happen, Lost succeeds at shocking us.

The episode follows season 3's precedent in showing us a darker side of Jack - obsessive, flawed, and hopelessly human. And as his plans for rescue are questioned with Daniel's revelation that they're not here to rescue anybody in the last episode, Jack feels his control - and his hopes - slipping away from him faster than he could have imagined. Off the island, Jack professes his love to Kate, but we know how this story will end. His paranoia drives him to obsess over Kate's phone call and his desire to right his wrongs drives him to destroy everything he has... their entire illusion of happiness is shattered. Once again, control has been wrested from his hands and Jack finds himself in a hopeless torrent of dark turns, sliding further and further down to become the broken man we saw in "TTLG." But we knew all of this! We knew exactly what kind of person Jack is - one who can never settle, one who can never live with an illusion of happiness, but will instead destroy everything he has and drive himself to look for more. We have even literally glimpsed into the future. So how is it that as we watch him ride this downward spiral we cringe and, even knowing the future, we beg the TV screen to not allow this to happen... we beg Jack to stop before it's too late.

It only goes to prove YET AGAIN the complete mastery these writers have over their audience, and this reviewer wonders how much more time will pass before this mastery is rightfully acknowledged by the critics and appropriately rewarded. Sawyer's transformation into a true leader, foreshadowed since the middle of season 3, seems finally complete, and Dan stands up and separates himself from his fellows by scolding Charlotte's unhelpful attitude in front of the entire group. Bernard's increased presence feels both natural and welcome, and Claire's disappearance marks the onset of the finale... the question of why she is not on the fateful flight off the island while Aaron is seems - all of a sudden - to be nearing resolution. This reviewer can only hope that John Locke, the centerpiece of the following episode, receives his overdue attention... and that the treatment seems as just as the one given Jack. -pW
  • Great Episode Hindered By Online Hatred Of Jack...

I have never and will never get the hatred that surroundes the character that Matthew Fox plays in this series. No matter what the man does, ever since season two his character has been very disliked.I think it has to do with the fact that John Locke became the most popular survivor on the island and his problems with Jack really caused a lot of people to hate Jack when I dont think the writers planned to have that happen. Onto the epsiode itself, it was a really good episode. One of the better flash-forwards of the year, though none of them have been down right bad. Kate and Jack have always had a powerful on-screen connection and I liked to see them together in the future. Jack begins his trip into depression in this epsiode as Hurley eventually works his way into Jacks mind. Jack is beginning to become hobbled as Kate does something for Sawyer, which we still dont know what that was. We learn that Sawyer made the choice to say, which was interesting. Overall I thought the flash-foward was the best part of the episode.

The island stuff wasnt as explosive as The Shape of Things to Come, but nothing they did would have been that amazing no matter how hard they tried. Jin / Sun / Dan / Charlotte got some more screen time when they went back out to the Arrow and I thought that was really well done. Jin calling out Charlotte really begins to set up the finale now that we know that Sun gets off the island somehow. Sawyer / Miles / Claire scenes were solid, though I find it hard to believe that no one of the bad guys are dead and that Keamey didnt look into the weird sound that he heard in the jungle. Overall, great epsiode for character and relationship devolopments and I think this season is going to finish out very strong!
  • A fantastic and explosive episode, as always.

I have to say that I've always, deep down, rooted for Jack and Kate. I hadn't really hoped to ever see them together romantically, not even after seeing Jack struggle to declare his former crush on Kate in "Eggtown". No, they did such an effort to rub Sawyer/Kate in that I let go of all my hopes on that front.

So of course it was a nice surprise to find out what a happy family Jack-Kate-Aaron seemed to have at the beginning of the episode. Their romantic little scenes made my heart positively flutter as the chemistry I always thohaught they had oozed of off the screen. But of course fairy tales never seem to last.

This time they really took a step down re: pace in comparison to last week's episode. I realize that that was obligatory but somehow I didn't think the appendectomy was all that crucial to the Jack/Kate relationship. Nonetheless it brought up some nice questions concerning the overall plot (Why did the island let Jack get sick? The same reason it made Ben get his disease?). Hurley's mental state during the flasforwards made my heart ache terribly. I was also a bit dissapointed about not hearing anything from Locke's Camp, either. But you can't have everything, I guess.

Overall: Lost kicks ass as always and I can't wait for next week! Gimme more or I'll explode!
  • great episode

Jack collapses on the beach. Juliet and Kate help him out. Juliet performs an operation on him so he won't die. Sawyer, Claire, Aaron and Miles continue to walk to the beach. They come across someone in the forest who are planning to kill the survivors. It's a really exciting episode, the flash forwards show something about kate and jack in the future. it seems that both of them are getting along. it's an awesome episode, we get to see stuff in it. i enjoyed every minute of it. i can't wait for the next episode. it's really good, the writers did a good job.
  • this is probably the most best episode to date...flash forward shows jack and kate together.. and the present reveals that jacks relationship with juliet is a result of "trying" to prove a point, which evidently fails!!!

this episode kicks off with jack climbing out of bed with nothing but a towel around him, there a pair of ladies underwear,who's could it be? kate or juliet? he continues walking placing two wine glasses in the sink (obviously a very romantic night), and then goes to the bathroom where the mystery woman is showering..they tlk a bit.. and then..the moment we've (jack & kate fans) have all been waiting for...its kate..nd they kiss..and all is as it should be..

JACK PROPOSES TO KATE!!! wooohhooo

but a mixture of events sadly then leads to jack at home gradually becoming more and more like his father...an alchaholic..and kate unable to reveal the truth about doing favours for sawyer..

so what will happen next..stay tuned!!
  • I actually liked it.

Flash forward: I know it wasn't exciting or anything, but nothing makes me happier than Jack and Kate getting together. I've been rooting for them since the season premiere. Just the idea of these two getting together gives me the goosebumps. I know, weird huh? Jack has always been my favorite male character on the show and actor, Matthew Fox has been one of my favorites of all time. Kate is easily my favorite character on the show and Evangeline Lilly is class and good acting in one package.

Jack's Camp: One of the members requires surgery and trust issues cause this person's life to be more at risk than it already is. Honestly, this was boring, but the flash forward really compensated.
  • in most parts....

on the whole i was happy about jack and kate getting together, and the fact that jack is on the slippery slope to where we left him in the last season finale, when he is talking to kate who is heavily pregnant, jack's baby???
    and claire, oh dear is this why kate has her baby?
    poor jack in the jungle and needed an operation, could'nt have been in better hands with the help of bernard who so kindly put jack out of his misery with chloroform, all went well after that.
    but what spoilt it a bit was that the 'firing squad' from the frieghter actually survived the black smoke!!! how did that happen????? i thought they would have been in 'bits' by now, literally!!!! at least frank warned sawyer, claire and miles to hide.
    awww and poor hurley, had tears streaming down his face when taking to jack, made me take a big gulp...i dont like seeing men cry! hurley warning jack that charlie said he will get a visit and no prizes for guessing who that would have been before we got to see him.
    as usual...cant wait for next week.
  • Good filler episode...

Ok this episode was not as good as last weeks but it was still pretty good. I thoought it filled in some of the gaps on the flashfoward storylines, like how Jack first started to take the drugs and how he became suicidal and more importantly why. To be honest I'm more of a Skate fan so the whole Jack and Kate story was not important. The best scenes in this episode were the trek back to the camp, did you notice Miles was dressed alot like Charlie in his hoody I thought it was cool, the ending was decent, I cant wait to see what happens there, it looks like Claire is finally going to get a good storyline. Another great scene in this episode was with Hurley at the mental hospital, I think he is the best character at the moment. The favour Kate was doing for Sawyer, I think it has something to do with Casey and Sawyer's child because remember Kate knows Casey aswell. Well this episode was a good episode, but to be honest it was more of a filler episode.

9.3 out of 10.
  • One of the best episode

this series is of the best in the industries right now, what i found the most interesting is how jack is going back to his roots, drinking and using medications, honestly i love this episode Is really important to see how jack and kate are doing and how jack's life is going to hell, but for me was a perfect 10, keep them coming producers, casue you are doing a hell of a job.......another part that really like me was when jin is talkin in korean and he knows that Charlotte can understand, love that part, he tells her I will break your friend's fingers, you got that"...jejeje

keep the good job
  • Highlight of Season 4

This week's episode, 'Something Nice Back Home', may not have had too many island based mysteries, but it took leaps and bounds in terms of joining what we know of Jack in the future to his present state. Sports results, a proposal, cryptic messages from beyond the grave and a ship fast enough for you, old man...

We see a big insight into Jack's post – island life; how he dips into insanity and alcohol addiction, his relationship with Kate and Aaron and a possible explanation to why he really wants to go back. The episode ends in true cliffhanger fashion; Claire is missing after mysteriously seeing her father and she leaves Aaron behind. Mind you, I've seen bigger cliff-hangers in between commercial breaks but at least we have a proper reason to tune in to the next episode rather than the blind faith of something better happening.

Usually in Lost; the questions and answers being offered are signposted but here, it's left to us to decide how we want to interpret it which makes this a very puzzling episode, even by Lost's standards. This is probably one of the darkest episodes of the fourth season which is fuelled partly by the glum performances from almost all the leads but also by the sense that something scary will happen but never really does.

Miles and Sawyer provide comedic chemistry that is just as funny as the Sawyer on Jack, Sawyer on Hurley, and Sawyer on Ben…. actually make it any exchange with Sawyer in it. We also get the sense that Miles knows a lot more than he's letting on…..

We see yet another look at the future Hurley who has progressed from an overweight joker to a gloomy and withdrawn person in the mental asylum. He gives Jack startling news that leads us to believe that "prophet" may also be on his repertoire. This is just a flat - out excellent installment of Lost. It truly is something nice back home.
  • Just Amazing!

OMG, what can I say, I think this, is one of the best episodes of the whole 4 season of Lost. It´s is good to know that and the end Jack is gonna end with Kate, and forget Juliet, but as the writers are letting us Know that it is not gonna be as easy as it seems to be. What is Kate doing for Sawyer? (we find out in this episode that he is staying in the island).

The more important for me, in this episode is . what is happening with Jack´s and Claire´s father?, is he alive?, is just an illusion?, what is gonna happens with Claire?, and the big surprise ...Charlotte speaks Korean, and Jim knows that!

Good work, and thanks for this great show!
  • (:

When Jack's health is seriously compromised, Kate and Juliet must learn to work together in order to save him; and something goes wrong as Sawyer, Claire, Aaron and Miles continue their trek away from Locke's camp and back to the beach. In flashforwards, Jack starts losing his sanity, receives a chilling message from Hurley, and his relationship with Kate begins to fall apart. Another awesome episode of "LOST" season four. I have to admit, that this episode isn't one of my favourites, and I love Jack and Kate together. After seeing this episode my favourite characters have changed, I still love Jack and Kate, but it is kind of getting annoying. But am not saying this episode was bad, it was very good and interesting. Can't wait to watch next weeks episode.
  • I really love this show, I really don't understand this show, jajajaja Many things happened, the character change all the time and we don't know what is going to happened to our favorites characters, see their future not is the solution.

In this episode we see Jack and Kate with the little baby, Jack and Hurley in the hospital, Jack's father, ... Why Jack can't life with Aaron??? Is his uncle, that's good I think.

In the present (or something like that), we see Jack sick, and Juliet is going to operate to save his live.

I really understand less this show with the development of the episodes, but I really love this show, I don't know why because all the time I have the sensation that I don't know anything about the characters or the island.

I need answers to the most question of this show.
  • So strange!

Jack has flashfowards to when he is living with Kate and taking care of Aaron with her. He proposes to her and she says yes. Jack goes to see Hurley and Hurley tells him that he's been seeing Charlie and that Charlie says that Jack shouldn't be raising him. Jack sees his dad in places and he begins to get hooked on prescription drugs.

Jack's appendix needs to be taken out. Juliet is going to perform the surgery. Charlotte, Jin, Sun, and Faraday go to get medical supplies. Jin finds out that Charlotte can speak Korean. The surgery is a success. Sawyer, Miles and Claire are walking back to the beach. Claire sees her father and follows him, leaving Aaron behind. Miles also finds the bodies of Danielle and Karl.

This episode was great! I really want to know what's up with Jack and Claire's dad. The ending was great! The surgery part was just a tad boring. This episode gets a 9.5 out of 10!
  • After last week's explosive perfectness, the show slows down for maybe the weakest episode of season 4.

This one is another bit of a "slow burn" for me. Jack-centric episodes aren't quite what they used to be, but I feel uncomfortable saying that since he's my favorite character on the show. Here, Jack needs his appendix out. That's random. On the one hand, this plot hearkens back to the day to day conflicts of season 1. But on the other hand, the show has moved far from those small problems to much bigger issues. So in a way, this was a step backwards. What I did like was seeing Jack and Kate together and happy in the future, if only for a brief moment in time. It can get annoying that Jack still sabotages the good things he has, and is still seeing his dead father. I don't want him to get repetitive.
  • Jack usual episodes, with something to deliver, but nothing too strong.

Plot Details/Objective -» With only to empty centric episode to be filled, was time for the two remaining main character have their centric episode. This is way Jack is the Main focus here. He is ill, for some reason, the island is punishing him, maybe because he didn´t listen to Ben. But doing Jack centric episodes is complicated, this is why he had to be ill, and in his FF we saw exactly how he was before the FF that show us a Drunk Jack, addicted to drugs and in great depression.

What I Like/Disliked -» Difficult to say what I like. The episode was entertaining, but more than that is difficult to say, since Jack FF didn´t affect my state of emotions, neither his Island event.

Overall:

Presentation -» (5/10). Weak presentation, since you already know that Jack will not die.

Complication Phase -» (6/10). Jack illness, again you know that he won´t die. Sawyer situation was more interesting. Nice detail when Jin discovered that Charlotte can speak and understand him

Climax -» (7/10). Maybe when Juliet told how Jack pretended that he wasn´t in love for Kate and the FF when he broke up with Kate. However, there was only good drama, nothing great here. Jin conversation with Charlotte was nice too.

Cliffhanger/Ending -» (6/10). You know what happened, Christian or whatever that identity was, take Claire with him and they left the Baby for some reason. Appear more like a plot convenience to fit with Kate FF.

Flash-forward's -» (7/10). Nothing great here, just Jack usual drama and crying, nothing that you hadn´t saw before.

Time and Scenes Management -» (7/10). Jack FF was necessary to explain his last FF and how his relationship was with Kate and what ended it. His illness in the Island, well, only season 5 or 6 can say that this was not filler, this is why a rate it goo for now. Jin Scene with Charlotte was a nice setup.

Dialogues -» (7/10). Jack FF had all the necessary dialogues, Jin and Charlotte too, Juliet and Kate too, the rest I am not sure, until season 5 or 6 justify Jack sudden Illness

Action /Adventure -» Wasn´t an episode for this. Drama/Emotions -» (8/10). Good acting but nothing that can make you feel sorry for Jack or can make you care too much.

Suspense/Tension -» (6/10). Nothing that make you pay some much attention, that you stay at the edge of your seat, Only sawyer scene had one situation like that.

Mystery/Curiosity/Doubts/Hints -» (7/10). You can be a little curious about how Jack ended up like he did in his last FF.

Surprise/Twists -» (7/10). Christian appearance for Claire was a surprise, Charlotte Knowing and understanding Korean was too. Claire abandoning her baby was strange. Jack usual episodes, with something to deliver, but nothing too strong.
  • A very enjoyable and emotional character driven episode. A nice change of pace, and also works well as a transitional episode.

Let's break it down into 3 parts.

1. The beach: The weakest of the three. I enjoyed the Jin/Sun scenes(especially the scene where Jin confronts Charlotte).But it still felt somewhat dragged out. However, the surgery was surprisingly well done. I liked the drama there, even though we all knew Jack wouldn't die. That's where the main issue of this episode is. We know Jack doesn't die! Had this been before his flashforward, it would've been suspensful. But this way, it was... weightless. Also, I thought the writers might use Jack's illness to have some huge conflict on the beach that would require Jack's leadership -- no. It didn't happen. SHAME!!! At least... I thought that would've been great.

2. Claire/Sawyer/Miles: Oh, I smell a winner right here. This was really exciting. I grew to like Miles alot more. I don't know why, I just did. And finally, we found out Rousseau is dead! I'm sorry, but I just can't believe how everyone doubted that. I went on several forums creating theories/reviews where I mentioned she's dead -- everyone told me I'm stupid, she's not. Anyway, that scene where Miles "experiences" the shoot out -Interesting. I just hope we'll get some kind of explaination, and it's not just something we should accept without anything to back it up. I liked Sawyer once again. I can't believe it actually happened: he's a caring person. But the main event is Claire running off.... with Christian? What the heck? That was creepy. And that just kind of confirms my theory from last episode that she'll end up in the cabin with Ben and John.

3. The flashforward: Great. Started somewhat slow, but in the end it was really great. Showing Jack's breakdown was done well. It was very subtle, and I think considering the circumstances, realistic. But how the hell did they get off the island? And at what price? I really don't think it's just 6 people flying off on a helicopter, then cruising away on a huge ship. Everyone seems so traumatized about it. I'm starting to feel that the writers are smart saving this for the finale. Hurley's(or Charlie's) prophecy was goosebump worthy. So apparently Jack can't raise Aaron. And Hurley knew Christian would visit him! Aaaah, what's going on? Is this even real? I'm not a particular fan of Jack/Kate but this episode really made me feel for them. I think big part of why this episode was good is due to Matthew Fox's amazing acting. And Evangeline was awesome too.Of course hanging around half undressed is always a plus point... hehe. Anyway, the flashforward was very emotional, and well done.
  • Ok, so this wasn't exactly the star of the show but there were a few good sides to it

7.9
    Ok, so this wasn't exactly the star of the show but there were a few good sides to it.

Firstly, I was impressed with the answers we got, such as Charlotte speaking Korean and in which we did not know about. Hugo's craziness words turned out to be true when both Jack and Claire saw their father (Christian Shepherd). Though, Jack's relationship with Kate and nothing more really happened. I was a little disappointed because the show only comes on once a week. I am glad that these particular kind of episodes don't come around often, otherwise I'd have been out of here ages ago. This season is not like the LOST I knew, but the previous episode "The Shape of things to come" was awesome, an instant classic. What I did enjoy from this episode was the Sawyer/Miles/Claire story. The answer is yet to be revealed: Where is Claire? Overall, this one let me down but I enjoyed some parts. Let's just make sure we don't get another one like this anytime soon. Getting excited about the next one, we go back to the Freighter ship.
  • Some character development before the season's climax.

This episode has generated some debate. Following a classic episode is never easy: "The Other Woman", which followed the classic "The Constant", was the lowest rated episode of the season. It's also a bit of a throw back to previous seasons, with a heavy emphasis on character development rather than major reveals and action as the last episode did. While it may be labeled "filler", it does offer some explanations for how Jack got to his meltdown in "Through the Looking Glass".

Jack's appearances in Kate's and Hurley's flash forwards hinted at the stupor he wound up in in his first one. There had to be something to get Jack from slipping a little liquor in his orange juice to popping pain killers like they're M&Ms. Playing house with Kate, while it may have satisfied some shippers, went against what was supposed to happen and those things are trying to "course correct". The prescription is the first step towards his addiction and falling out between him and Kate.

Ultimately, Jack and Kate turn into versions of their parents: Jack's an alcoholic who is unreasonably jealous and Kate is drawn to that. We don't know much about Kate and her mother's relationship besides her mom not understanding Wayne was a bad guy, but its possible Kate was a stabilizing figure like Aaron is to Kate.

Like Hurley, Jack is getting visions of someone close to him, in Jack's case his ever mysterious father. This contributes to his falling apart in the future as it did for Hurley. The second time Jack sees his father, it's after he changes a battery for the smoke detector. With that, the obvious implication is that his father is the Smoke Monster. It's probably misleading and some other island force (Jacob?) calling the Oceanic Six back.

With that, what would the island do to draw back Sayid, Sun and Kate? For Sayid and Sun, Nadia and Jin respectively would be appropriate, even if Jin is still alive on the island. For Kate, that figure might be harder. Claire would make sense, tying into the "you're not supposed to raise him" threat Hurley relayed to Jack. Targeting Aaron will be the only way Kate would be willing to give up her domestic, stable life to go back.

Kate's favors for Sawyer are likely those helping Clementine and Cassidy. Kate & Cassidy had a brief friendship in "Left Behind", so perhaps that back story was meant to do more than fill a flashback quota. Sawyer's recently stepped up as at least a protector of several people, notably Claire, Aaron and Hurley. In addition, Cassidy must've heard of 815, seen Sawyer's name among the casualties and then seen an opportunity when Kate pops up with the Oceanic Six.

It's interesting that in the Oceanic Six mystery, Sawyer had to option to leave with them, but chose not. Sawyer this season has been nobler than expected, acting as a protector towards Claire and her baby. With Claire missing in the end of the episode, he may stay behind because she's still missing.

Sawyer staying behind appears to have gotten under Jack's skin. It's likely whatever Jack's actions that got him off the island were, they sounded right at the time, but time has worn that down and he's justifying his guilt away. In that anger, Jack also makes a statement that could be read as acknowledgment that he learned that Claire is his half-sister. With family involved, that must make that guilt even worse.

Rose questioning why Jack's fallen ill could be a turning point in his leadership. The other person to get seriously ill with no provocation is Ben and that was one of the pieces that lead to the end of The Others' control of the island. Jack assertion that they'll "be ready" when the freighter arrives lacks the confidence and inspiration his words against The Others had just over a week earlier on the island. What did Jack do to anger the powers on the island to make him sick? The clear answer would be contacting the freighter and allowing them to arrive. This ties into his flash forwards, as living with Kate and Aaron goes against Aaron being raised by Claire.

In another shipper moment, Juliet remarks that Jack isn't interested in her the way he is towards Kate. It does make sense, as she picked Sawyer last season and Jack was willing to be unhappy if that meant she could be happy. While the writing indicates that Jack and Kate will wind up together, Jack and Juliet made a more convincing couple.

Claire's fate is the cliffhanger that ends the episode. Since her house was attacked, some have theorized that they are pulling a "Sixth Sense" by having Claire be dead already. Miles' interest in Claire and her baby is the strongest hint of that, but it may be just a red herring. This seems unlikely as it has been done many times before and would be hard to earn a satisfying resolution to that.

A more interesting venue would be the things she saw. A cut scene from the previous episode was Claire having some vision just before the mercenaries blew up her house. In this episode she mentions not "seeing things" anymore, which gets the attention of Miles.

The imagery of Miles with the hood over his head is clearly a call back to Charlie, but why that is isn't clear yet. Are we to believe they'll be a couple or will he make some contact with Charlie?

After the ambush of the mercenaries, to see five come out and only one is limping is a major disappointment. If anything, Keamy should've been the last man standing. This could imply some more rules Ben and Widmore are following, where he only sent the Monster to wound the men, but that cheapens the original action of Ben, having lost his daughter, unleashing hell as his last route out of the situation. However, it's likely that they have some degree of understanding of it, which may explain why they didn't suffer a similar fate to Seth "Pilot" Norris or Eko.

The appearances of the graves effectively dashes any hopes of Rousseau surviving, but that moment offers some insight to how Miles' gift works. He hears the dialogue uttered by Rousseau and Karl in their last moments in a more personal and intense manner than the rest hear the whispers. It possibly offers solid evidence that he is genuine as he knows their names without having given them, but he might've heard about them during his captivity.

One thing worth asking is how Rousseau and Karl were buried. Keamy and his men, the people responsible for those actions, wouldn't take time to throw them even in their shallow grave. The likeliest of solutions is that Frank, one of the "innocent" people on the freighter, did it out of the decency in his heart. If this episode does anything for the freighties, it's have them dealing with the actions of their violent counterparts. This may be similar to Dharma itself, where the hippies suffered the same consequences that those who fought with the hostiles did.

Daniel and Charlotte are certainly feeling the ill will on the beach, as no one trusts them after their lie is revealed. Things will obviously get worse when Sawyer and Miles (maybe Claire) arrive and inform them that the mercenaries slaughtered at least six of their people. Going to the medical hatch earns some good will, albeit not as good as Juliet got from Sun last season.

Jin's threat to Charlotte recalls his days as an enforcer for Mr. Paik. However, the decent man who loves his wife and unborn child above all else is still there. He's putting them above all others to get them off the island. This selflessness, in contrast to Sun wanting to save herself above all else, may be the biggest reason behind Sun's guilt in her flash forward.

Overall, this episode does a good job bridging that forceful post-strike return and the end game. Every character gets a little development, which is welcome just before the season's climax. There's only one normal episode left before the three-part finale, which means things should be accelerating once again.
  • Very simply to me this was a waste of time... Looking forward to this episode had me all hooked up, but i got let down

This definetely wasnt my favourite lost episode. Having to wait for what you want to see does have its perks though. Maybe this episode was decide to build tension? We'll never know. Im really looking forward to the episode where locke, ben and hurley find the cabin. But unfortunately for me and anyone who agrees with me this episode hasnt been put in my good books. As with jacks health could this somehow fit in with the deaths of pregnant women? To me this seems likes like a unlikly coincidence, if anyone doesnt agree with me please send me messages or hassle me.

Thanks for reading
  • Words can't describe how much it sucked. It was like "Grey's Anatomy" on the island except even worse (didn't know that worse was possible), boring and a complete waste of time.

So... Jack is kinda sick. And he needs a surgery, which Juliet would be happy to do. Except Jack wants to be awake to watch it and he wants Kate to be around as well. Showtime! Love triangle in a surgical tent! Instead of just knocking him unconscious and doing a goddamn surgery, Juliet does as he says. Big surprise - it doesn't work out and Jack ends up knocked out anyway. But this doesn't matter as the whole episode was already wasted on stupid useless crap.

Things are even more boring "back home" in Jack's flash-forward. Hurley is nuts and tells Jack that Charlie thinks that Jack should not be raising Aaron. What, the island should be? Polar bears? Presumably dead Claire? Also, Dead-Charlie-Who-I-Never-Liked-Anyway, could you please remember that Jack saved your ass somewhere around the beginning of season 1 and shut up already?

In other news - that red chick knows Korean, Kate is with Jack in the future and so is his dead father. Boring.
< 1 2 3