Lost

Something Nice Back Home

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM May 01, 2008 on ABC

• Words can't describe how much it sucked. It was like "Grey's Anatomy" on the island except even worse (didn't know that worse was possible), boring and a complete waste of time.

So... Jack is kinda sick. And he needs a surgery, which Juliet would be happy to do. Except Jack wants to be awake to watch it and he wants Kate to be around as well. Showtime! Love triangle in a surgical tent! Instead of just knocking him unconscious and doing a goddamn surgery, Juliet does as he says. Big surprise - it doesn't work out and Jack ends up knocked out anyway. But this doesn't matter as the whole episode was already wasted on stupid useless crap.

Things are even more boring "back home" in Jack's flash-forward. Hurley is nuts and tells Jack that Charlie thinks that Jack should not be raising Aaron. What, the island should be? Polar bears? Presumably dead Claire? Also, Dead-Charlie-Who-I-Never-Liked-Anyway, could you please remember that Jack saved your ass somewhere around the beginning of season 1 and shut up already?

In other news - that red chick knows Korean, Kate is with Jack in the future and so is his dead father. Boring.
  • The worst episode of LOST. Please read my reasons before disagreeing with my review.

I think that this was the last episode of the show for me. The writers are killing everyone and all of my favourite characters are already dead or they are being ignored. I just hated everything about this episode. If Jack won't be with Kate in the future than why the hell did the writers had to hurt Juliet so much??? I know that many of you want Kate to be with Jack, but both you and us (Juliet-Jack fans) were disappointed in this episode. It was just stupid. I wouldn't be surprised if they killed Juliet on the island and than killed Jack and Kate later off the island. The only thing that keeps the show going on is the Monster which was shown in the previous episode and Jacob.
    I think that the WGA strike continues in a different form...
  • Fox shaves, soap opera theme continues, and we take another swirl down the toilet as the "why do I care" feeling creeps in again.

2.6
    First of all, did they think we wouldn't notice that Matthew Fox (Jack) had shaved his chest? What a friggin' waste...manscaping should be outlawed! I guess we're supposed to believe that the shaving he received before his operation on the island lasted so long that he's now hairless for good? They, at least, could have offered some explanation for it, instead of having him wake up in bed and be smooth as a baby's bottom! And where was the scar? Hmmmm?

As for the episode overall, it's just too soap-opera like now. One strained heterosexual romance after another, with no end in sight. And on that topic, out of the dozens of people who survived the crash, they couldn't have ONE gay person? I mean, the odds are at least 1 in 10 (1 in 1 for any male flight attendants!). Or how about TWO gay people, and a gay romance story line? I mean, they have a racially mixed couple, and no one bats an eye, but I guess a gay couple would just turn everyone's stomach, eh? Homophobes!
  • I have always thought Lost was a roller-coaster ride, the point is the journey, not the conclusion, but now I am beginning to think it is more train chu-chu. Disappointing!

3.1
    Ok, so what happened? oh! Jack is with Kate (never saw that one coming) in a flash forward but still a flash back from series 3 from a flash to a ... I get lost. The key moment is he has to have his appendix removed!
    When charactrs you have been building for three seasons die without any particular reason why you start to think the show has lost its way. They seems more a case of cost cutting in budgets than advancing the story. As some have already mentioned here the show is forgetting what's going on. Lost is starting to be about Jack and Ben, a tale of two parts of the island. All the other charactrs are fading into the background as support for these two. On the one side you have bad-ass Ben and on the other screwed-up Jack. Why confront Juliet and Kate with the kiss; why kill off characters needlessly; How convenient that Charlotte just happens to speak Korean; how convenient Bernard understands morse; the appendix operation was actually a little silly and then the abducton of Claire ex deus... left me with a feeling of "what is going on ..." Bad writing folks!
    I hope this was just a filler episode to explain something the writers had forgotten to tell before, or else I am just not going to care what happens.
  • Yawn... I suppose the writer's cannot hit a home run every episode, but it sure is a disappointment when they strike out.

We have a Jack-the control freak-episode. Oh brother. As if it isn't bad enough that we have to endure 43 minutes of Jack we only get a couple of crumbs of entertainment this time.

Hurley thinks that they are dead. Jin knows that Charlotte is fluent in Korean. Rose has figured out that the island isn't protecting anyone any longer. Miles uncovers the bodies of Frenchie and Karl. Keamy and his mercenaries got severely chewed up by Smokie, but they weren't killed. Sawyer stayed on the island. Claire has disappeared with her Dad while Miles sits on his butt. I admit that I can't stand Jack and enduring him is a test of my willpower. But what was really aggravating was that the story really didn't move forward. The sheep, er, Survivors on the beach all back down when Jack says to wait for the helicopter. Me, I'd be putting Daniel in thumb screws and boiling Charlotte in coconut oil to get some straight answers out of them. This was, in my opinion, the poorest episode of the entire series.

How can anyone get excited about Jack having appendicitis? You know he isn't going to die because you've already seen him in a flash forward and now he's in another one.

The only real questions are whether or not Hurley is right; who was Kate talking to and meeting; and where is Claire. Unfortunately, the majority of the episode was a filler to get these issues raised.
  • Not nearly as good as everyone is making it out to be.

4.9
    I chose 'not my favorite storyline' because this is the 2nd flash-forward of this shortened season focused on everyone's least favorite character, Jack. I find it amusing how fans of this show absolutely love Locke and absolutely dislike Jack. But yet this doesn't stop the writers from ever swaying from their obsession with showing us Jack's role in everything. Last week's episode was one of the best ever: solid action, wonderful dialogue, marvelous acting - the works. But something else was wonderful, too, that I bet most people haven't really thought about: Jack was hardly in the episode at all. Everyone knows what happened in this episode (that is what the episode summary section on the main page is for) and this is why I like to write reviews of episodes that are more editorial. In short, the most exciting thing about this episode was that Jack fainted. Wow. And anyone who didn't see that in the flash-forward Kate was speaking with Sawyer and running errands for him coming a mile away, you might want to ask yourself just how big of a fan you are of this show. That was about as obvious as the sun rising every day. And, finally, the never fail equation for LOST: No Locke, Ben or Desmond in an episode at all = A not so good episode. And that is exactly what happened. Did anyone actually think Jack was actually going to die!? That is beyond ridiculous... Hear is to hoping (and I think this is going to be the case) that next week's episode is wonderful.
  • Kate and Jack play house in a world full of self deception.

It is rather sad that Kate's character has been reduced to an empty doll Jack and Sawyer fight over. Or rather one their crazy shippers fight over. Kate's role in the future is simply to be Jack's side kick and it's a sad sight. Because if you believe that making Kate one of the oceanic 6 and giving her Aaron had nothing to do with Jack and the love triangle, then you are delusional. It feels that the writers, in their misguided quest to continue this horrid love triangle going, decided to finally throw the Jaters a bone. We get a rushed, empty, dysfunctional "relationship" which crashes faster than you can say "I'm bored". As usual, things always have to revolve around Jack. Even his proposal, as he only proposed after getting Kate to reassure him that he's good enough. But then that's all his actions have been about, no? Him trying to prove to himself and his father that he IS a hero. That he can do great things. That he is not worthless. And that is what Kate, with her blind adoration, offers him. This was a poor episode and the only reason I didn't rate it lower is because for once, Jack is becoming a somewhat interesting character. And it's about time.

Unfortunately, as I stated before, Kate is useless as a character and has been for many seasons now. It seems that she all of a sudden desired a child overnight. How did she get there? What changed? How the hell does Kate feel about anything? Why is this woman's character never really dissected and developed? It's sickening sometimes what TPTB do to the women on this show.
  • Very simply to me this was a waste of time... Looking forward to this episode had me all hooked up, but i got let down

This definetely wasnt my favourite lost episode. Having to wait for what you want to see does have its perks though. Maybe this episode was decide to build tension? We'll never know. Im really looking forward to the episode where locke, ben and hurley find the cabin. But unfortunately for me and anyone who agrees with me this episode hasnt been put in my good books. As with jacks health could this somehow fit in with the deaths of pregnant women? To me this seems likes like a unlikly coincidence, if anyone doesnt agree with me please send me messages or hassle me.

Thanks for reading
  • This show has become extraordinarily dull.

The writers of Lost are now resorting to daytime soap-opera plots to fill air time. All the mysterious events and characters that made the show interesting have been replaced by "Melrose Place" style writing, except that "Melrose Place" was much more fun and interesting to watch. All the interesting plot devices, from the "Dharma Initiative" to the strange smoke monster to "The Others" have been explained away or ignored, making me feel like I've wasted my time watching this show. And there are new characters being introduced, with other characters being killed off for no reason. Why did the smoke monster kill "Mr. Echo"? Why did the writers kill off Ben's daughter and boyfriend and the daughter's mother? Why were these people ever in the show if they had no ultimate purpose? Why are the new people in the show?

This week's episode was all about Jack having to have his appendix out. That's it. It's time to vote everyone off this island.

Oh, and Claire went missing again. They really ought to keep better track of that one.
  • That was not good at all.

5.5
    Sorry about the english and all that...

I haven't written any "reviews" about Lost S4 in a while, but man, that episode was bad enough to "inspire" me. Like "the Other Woman" "Something Nice..." is nothing more than a filler episode, wich is not what makes it bad. The problem is, this season, with the strike and all we'll have only 13 episodes (at least the last one will be double), and I don't think they can waste time with episodes like this one, were absolutely NOTHING relevant happened. If "SNBH" was a good filler or character developtment episode like "...in translation" or "Tricia Tanaka..." it would be ok even in a shortened season, but that's not the case. It's not a complete disaster like "Stranger in a Strange Land", but that would be impossible. Ok, we had a few good moments:

- Christian Sheppard appearing for Claire holding Aaron;

- The possibility that the island may be punishing Jack for trying to leave the place; - The beggining of Jack's downfall; The metting with Hurley and "Charlie's note". The problem is those moments are too rare and short. The rest of the episode just goes nowhere. Just a few examples:

- The "main plot" of this episode has no tension or emotion whatsoever. We know Jack will leave the island, so we know the surgery will be a success;

- During the entire episode there are scenes that you're shure that something BIG is going to happen but those moments are aways interrupted, like the writers were saying "not yet". That's very frustrating. Main example: smoke detector, Jack's father in the hospital calling for him... another doctor arrives. I bet a lot of people said something nice like "f*ck this show" on that particular moment.

- Sawyer/Miles/Claire hiding from Widmore's men. Aaron makes a noise. One of the guys get suspicious take a look around and them... the army leaves. Oh my GOD, that's got to be one of the most old movie cliches ever! I just hope in the next episode "Cabin Fever", Hurley doesn't get scare to death by a jumping black cat once they enter that dark and creepy shack. - Dan is in love with Charllote? I mean, Really? What man wouldn't be at least attracted if was near a woman that hot and beaultiful? Ok, that's my personal taste, but still the thing is irrelevant because (at least to me) it was pretty obvious.

- Claire is missing... AGAIN!

That's already too long. That's just some reasos why I didn't like the episode. Well, at least I can say that, even with "SNBH" and "TOW", the season is beeing awsome so far. However, in a shortened season, episodes like this one are much more painful to watch.
  • I was not impressed....

I missed the episode before this one so I was so excited to see an episode of Lost because I heard the last one was so good...but this one was terrible. The story was so pointless. It was just one of those episodes they stick in the middle that really don't do anything. Ok...so Jack had to have his appendix out...so... and something's going on with Claire and the baby, and her father.... The flash-forwards weren't even that interesting. I would have to say that it was creepy, but not very interesting. Overall, this episode just really let me down. I hope next week's is better.
  • Meh.

What was the point to this episode? 40 seceonds waiting for Jack to opens up his eyes in the opening scene epitomise just how much time this episodes wastes. Much feels pointless and not exactly gripping. I think like everyone else there so much more we want to see than Jack survive surgery! Whats the point to him and why should I care, can we see the people that have interesting connections to the Island please! Ok I dont like him, so thats unfair, but it was a waste of time, valuble minutes are lost! Of course, not wanting to spoil too much, all the revelations adding to the key storylines, were ace! On a personal note seeing Rose and her husband back in action was a good treat. Throwing back into play some old fan theories was great! Are they dead? Love it! Finding out the fate of Rosseu was not so good. To a large degree this episode was almost a disaster, and it definatly wasted time; it was not all that important, and everything big we found out could have been done in many other ways. Nevertheless it was a high quality episode with no bad choices besides not being too interesting. Its still Lost so still a cut above the large portion of show at it worst. This episode wasn't at its worst
  • Jack usual episodes, with something to deliver, but nothing too strong.

Plot Details/Objective -» With only to empty centric episode to be filled, was time for the two remaining main character have their centric episode. This is way Jack is the Main focus here. He is ill, for some reason, the island is punishing him, maybe because he didn´t listen to Ben. But doing Jack centric episodes is complicated, this is why he had to be ill, and in his FF we saw exactly how he was before the FF that show us a Drunk Jack, addicted to drugs and in great depression.

What I Like/Disliked -» Difficult to say what I like. The episode was entertaining, but more than that is difficult to say, since Jack FF didn´t affect my state of emotions, neither his Island event.

Overall:

Presentation -» (5/10). Weak presentation, since you already know that Jack will not die.

Complication Phase -» (6/10). Jack illness, again you know that he won´t die. Sawyer situation was more interesting. Nice detail when Jin discovered that Charlotte can speak and understand him

Climax -» (7/10). Maybe when Juliet told how Jack pretended that he wasn´t in love for Kate and the FF when he broke up with Kate. However, there was only good drama, nothing great here. Jin conversation with Charlotte was nice too.

Cliffhanger/Ending -» (6/10). You know what happened, Christian or whatever that identity was, take Claire with him and they left the Baby for some reason. Appear more like a plot convenience to fit with Kate FF.

Flash-forward's -» (7/10). Nothing great here, just Jack usual drama and crying, nothing that you hadn´t saw before.

Time and Scenes Management -» (7/10). Jack FF was necessary to explain his last FF and how his relationship was with Kate and what ended it. His illness in the Island, well, only season 5 or 6 can say that this was not filler, this is why a rate it goo for now. Jin Scene with Charlotte was a nice setup.

Dialogues -» (7/10). Jack FF had all the necessary dialogues, Jin and Charlotte too, Juliet and Kate too, the rest I am not sure, until season 5 or 6 justify Jack sudden Illness

Action /Adventure -» Wasn´t an episode for this. Drama/Emotions -» (8/10). Good acting but nothing that can make you feel sorry for Jack or can make you care too much.

Suspense/Tension -» (6/10). Nothing that make you pay some much attention, that you stay at the edge of your seat, Only sawyer scene had one situation like that.

Mystery/Curiosity/Doubts/Hints -» (7/10). You can be a little curious about how Jack ended up like he did in his last FF.

Surprise/Twists -» (7/10). Christian appearance for Claire was a surprise, Charlotte Knowing and understanding Korean was too. Claire abandoning her baby was strange. Jack usual episodes, with something to deliver, but nothing too strong.
  • Jack has his appendix removed.

Let me just say that even LOST's worst episodes (and this was clearly not their worst) are far better than just about everything else on TV. LOST is the top show on "the tube" right now, and there is no intelligent debate that can be brought up against that point. With all that in consideration, this was not a strong hour of the show.

While the acting was decent, and the ending was an okay cliffhanger (poor by LOST standards though) you could've watched that last five minutes of the show and not missed a single thing. Where are Desmond and Sayid? Are they okay? What's going on with Locke and Ben? This was such an isolated episode, and it was hard to feel compassion when Jack, Kate and Juliet have been pushed out of the spotlight in recent weeks. Not to mention Jack's appendix was not exactly the most hyped storyline in the world.

Development. Building. These are not just terms that are used by construction workers. The job of the writer is to develop an entertaining story that builds toward a climatic moment. There was no true emotion regarding Jack's surgery. Did anyone think he was going to actually die?

Miles and Sawyer are developing an interesting bond and should be nice to see what this builds toward. Still though, it's hard to get into anything Claire does on the show, and I could care less where she is right now. It's not just that the actress portraying her fails to take over the screen it's just that there are more important things on the viewers mind. We're no more anticipated toward next week's episode now than we would be had she not disappeared.
  • After last week's explosive perfectness, the show slows down for maybe the weakest episode of season 4.

This one is another bit of a "slow burn" for me. Jack-centric episodes aren't quite what they used to be, but I feel uncomfortable saying that since he's my favorite character on the show. Here, Jack needs his appendix out. That's random. On the one hand, this plot hearkens back to the day to day conflicts of season 1. But on the other hand, the show has moved far from those small problems to much bigger issues. So in a way, this was a step backwards. What I did like was seeing Jack and Kate together and happy in the future, if only for a brief moment in time. It can get annoying that Jack still sabotages the good things he has, and is still seeing his dead father. I don't want him to get repetitive.
  • Jack-Centric Episode. Some minor questions are answered and new ones are raised. Great for character development, not much more than that though.

This Jack-centric episode focused mainly on character building, which irritates some people, but is a necessary part of a show that is as deep as Lost is. It wasn't the best episode this season, and ranks down there with Eggtown, but it was solid and par for the course of the show overall-it was not on par with the season thus far. Unlike some of the lesser episodes that set up future events and have to be viewed in the context of the entire show, this one seemed to tie up minor loose ends and answer/raise a few questions.

The flash forward involves Jack waking up and putting away some women's undies, when he meets the woman in the shower-it is Kate-big shocker there. It seems he is living with her and Aaron after her trial ended, but before his breakdown. Jack is still working as a doctor and even pays a visit to Hurley who isn't taking his medication, it is here that Hurley gives Jack a message from Charlie who says that Jack IS NOT the one to be raising Aaron. Despite this, Jack asks Kate to marry him, and she agrees. Jack also sees his father at his office, but is interrupted by a coworker-he gets her to write him a prescription for Clonazepam because he cannot sleep. He also overheard Kate talking to someone and he grows suspicious, by this time he is drinking and popping pills. He asks Kate what she was doing and she reluctantly tells him she was doing a favor for Sawyer. Jack says that he got Kate off the island, he is the reason they are alive, and that Sawyer stayed behind-indicating he is still alive and that there are people still on the island.

On the island, Jack falls ill due to appendicitis. Juliet will operate with Kate and Bernard assisting. Juliet sends Daniel, Charlotte, Sun, and Jin off to the Medical Station to get surgical supplies. Nobody in the group trusts Daniel and Charlotte anymore, but Daniel knows what the equipment needed is. On the way it is revealed that Daniel likes Charlotte and that she can speak Korean. Jin later threatens to harm Daniel if Charlotte doesn't get Sun off of the island. Jack insists that he be awake for the surgery with Kate there, Juliet reluctantly agrees, but has Bernard sedate Jack with Chloroform after he moves around too much. Juliet also tells Kate that Jack kissed her, but not because he likes her (Juliet), but to prove he isn't in love with Kate (which he is).

Sawyer, Miles, and Claire continue their trek, when they bump into Lapidus. He warns them of Keamy who is leading his troops after being attacked by Smokey. Sawyer and company manage to avoid them, and Sawyer admonishes Miles for staring at Claire. He warns him that he "has a restraining order" and will hurt him if he does anything bad. As they sleep, Claire awakes to find Aaron is not close to her, but is being held by…Christian Shepard! Claire recognizes him and leaves in the night. As Sawyer tries to track her down, he finds Aaron safe under a tree-all alone.

Good episode, not great, not on par with Season 4. It was great for character development and actually very interesting, it just wasn't very engaging. It was just plain good all around, nothing really stood out. Though next week looks to be awesome and should be right on track.
  • We see Jack in the future with Kate & Claire goers missing......

7.8
    This episode is a Jack centred one. In this episode Jack becomes Ill and collapses in front of everyone. We then see Jack and Kate in the future, living in the same house. We see Kate getting out of the shower and she and Jack kiss. We see Jack reading to Aaron.
    Back on the island we see Miles walking through the jungle to get to the beach, and he discovers the body of the French woman and Carl. Claire seems shock up by it. Sawyer promises her that everything will be fine. Jack thinks that he has food poisoning whilst Juliet tells him (after an examination) that it's his appendix and they are going to have to take it out. Sun and a few others go to the medical centre to get the medical supplies needed for Jack's operation. Future Jack goes to see Hurley in his mental ward. Hurley is convinced that they are all dead and that they need got off of the island. Hurley gives Jack a message from Charlie "Your not suppose to raise him" and that someone will be visiting him soon.
    The army men are still alive and are being helped by the pilot of the chopper. In the future Jack asks Kate to marry him. He gives her a ring and with tears of joy, she says yes. We learn that Charlotte speaks Korean, and Jin tells her that when the helicopter comes back she is to take Sun with her, when she leaves the island.
    Jack's operation gets under way and he shouts out in pain and Kate starts cry. In the future we see Jack going home and he takes some tablets to help him sleep. Back on the island Claire wakes up and sees her father holding Aaron. Kate is acting odd in the future and seems though she is having an affair, Jack asks her out right where she was and what is going on. She admits that she was doing something for Sawyer. But she won't admit to him what it is. She says she isn't having him like that around her son and he goes on about how she isn't even related to him, she starts to well up and Aaron appears in the hallway. As Sawyer wakes up and discovers that Claire is missing, he hears Aaron crying. He calls out her name but she doesn't answer, he instead finds Aaron under a tree. Claire is missing.
  • Good but not great..

7.8
    When i read on what this episode would be about, I knew it wouldn`t be last week`s standard.
    Still, the episode was interesting with some important facts and imo great cliffhanger. However, it had lot`s of boring and dull moments.
    The opener with Jack and Kate and back to the beach Jack is ill was meh.The whole jack operation was painful to watch. Can`t really see the point. Jack life in danger while we have a flash forward at the same moment showing he is alive. So pointless.Briefly. Beach=Boring.
    On to the good. Sawyer, Claire and Miles scenes were awesome. LMAO at Sawyer`s restraining order. The flash forward was good. I don`t care about about Jack and Kate...never convinced me. However, it was revealed Sawyer stayed on the island..alive. Jack-Hugo stuff was great and it was awesome to see Christian Shepard again. Would love to see his conversation with Jack.
    The cliffhanger was great! Does it means Claire went with Shepard and that`s why she`s not with Aaron in the future? So still alive on the island? How will the oceanic 6 become the oceanic 6?

A filler episode but still enjoyable.
  • Not so good as it could have been!

7.8
    It looks like a filler and very Jack centered! We keep seeing part of his future as well as of his present. We got rid of his appendix and he'll be fine. He proposed to Kate, but he keeps having the ghost of Sawyer in his life... Apparently, Kate can't love only one of them... I thought we were going to know exactly what happened to Claire, but for now we just know that she left with her father, another ghost in the island, and that Aaron stayed back alone. I hope soon we'll get to know what are those ghosts exactly, because they keep changing the characters and make them disappear or do strange things.
  • While the episode itself was fine, I can tell I'm definitely Jacked-out.

7.8
    I turned this show on expecting it to be a Locke episode, and that probably fueled my disappointment on seeing it was Jack's.
    We get to see the beginnings of Jack's descent into drug and alcohol abuse. Was it really just because he was seeing his father again? Or is there some bigger undertone that we just haven't seen yet? This episode also seems to emphasize how so far, it seems everyone's condition deteriorates after leaving the island. Relationships dissolve (Jack & Kate, Jin & Sun), people start to go crazy (Hurley, Jack), and people once again return to their ways they swore off just before the crash (Jin, Sayid). And what did Charlie mean when he said Jack shouldn't raise him? Does that go all the way back to when Claire was told that only she should raise her child?
    All in all, an OK episode. But after last week's powerhouse, this one seemed to drag a bit. And what bits we did learn, I think could have been thrown in in another episode instead of dedicating an entire show to them.
  • Ok, so this wasn't exactly the star of the show but there were a few good sides to it

7.9
    Ok, so this wasn't exactly the star of the show but there were a few good sides to it.

Firstly, I was impressed with the answers we got, such as Charlotte speaking Korean and in which we did not know about. Hugo's craziness words turned out to be true when both Jack and Claire saw their father (Christian Shepherd). Though, Jack's relationship with Kate and nothing more really happened. I was a little disappointed because the show only comes on once a week. I am glad that these particular kind of episodes don't come around often, otherwise I'd have been out of here ages ago. This season is not like the LOST I knew, but the previous episode "The Shape of things to come" was awesome, an instant classic. What I did enjoy from this episode was the Sawyer/Miles/Claire story. The answer is yet to be revealed: Where is Claire? Overall, this one let me down but I enjoyed some parts. Let's just make sure we don't get another one like this anytime soon. Getting excited about the next one, we go back to the Freighter ship.
  • Some character development before the season's climax.

This episode has generated some debate. Following a classic episode is never easy: "The Other Woman", which followed the classic "The Constant", was the lowest rated episode of the season. It's also a bit of a throw back to previous seasons, with a heavy emphasis on character development rather than major reveals and action as the last episode did. While it may be labeled "filler", it does offer some explanations for how Jack got to his meltdown in "Through the Looking Glass".

Jack's appearances in Kate's and Hurley's flash forwards hinted at the stupor he wound up in in his first one. There had to be something to get Jack from slipping a little liquor in his orange juice to popping pain killers like they're M&Ms. Playing house with Kate, while it may have satisfied some shippers, went against what was supposed to happen and those things are trying to "course correct". The prescription is the first step towards his addiction and falling out between him and Kate.

Ultimately, Jack and Kate turn into versions of their parents: Jack's an alcoholic who is unreasonably jealous and Kate is drawn to that. We don't know much about Kate and her mother's relationship besides her mom not understanding Wayne was a bad guy, but its possible Kate was a stabilizing figure like Aaron is to Kate.

Like Hurley, Jack is getting visions of someone close to him, in Jack's case his ever mysterious father. This contributes to his falling apart in the future as it did for Hurley. The second time Jack sees his father, it's after he changes a battery for the smoke detector. With that, the obvious implication is that his father is the Smoke Monster. It's probably misleading and some other island force (Jacob?) calling the Oceanic Six back.

With that, what would the island do to draw back Sayid, Sun and Kate? For Sayid and Sun, Nadia and Jin respectively would be appropriate, even if Jin is still alive on the island. For Kate, that figure might be harder. Claire would make sense, tying into the "you're not supposed to raise him" threat Hurley relayed to Jack. Targeting Aaron will be the only way Kate would be willing to give up her domestic, stable life to go back.

Kate's favors for Sawyer are likely those helping Clementine and Cassidy. Kate & Cassidy had a brief friendship in "Left Behind", so perhaps that back story was meant to do more than fill a flashback quota. Sawyer's recently stepped up as at least a protector of several people, notably Claire, Aaron and Hurley. In addition, Cassidy must've heard of 815, seen Sawyer's name among the casualties and then seen an opportunity when Kate pops up with the Oceanic Six.

It's interesting that in the Oceanic Six mystery, Sawyer had to option to leave with them, but chose not. Sawyer this season has been nobler than expected, acting as a protector towards Claire and her baby. With Claire missing in the end of the episode, he may stay behind because she's still missing.

Sawyer staying behind appears to have gotten under Jack's skin. It's likely whatever Jack's actions that got him off the island were, they sounded right at the time, but time has worn that down and he's justifying his guilt away. In that anger, Jack also makes a statement that could be read as acknowledgment that he learned that Claire is his half-sister. With family involved, that must make that guilt even worse.

Rose questioning why Jack's fallen ill could be a turning point in his leadership. The other person to get seriously ill with no provocation is Ben and that was one of the pieces that lead to the end of The Others' control of the island. Jack assertion that they'll "be ready" when the freighter arrives lacks the confidence and inspiration his words against The Others had just over a week earlier on the island. What did Jack do to anger the powers on the island to make him sick? The clear answer would be contacting the freighter and allowing them to arrive. This ties into his flash forwards, as living with Kate and Aaron goes against Aaron being raised by Claire.

In another shipper moment, Juliet remarks that Jack isn't interested in her the way he is towards Kate. It does make sense, as she picked Sawyer last season and Jack was willing to be unhappy if that meant she could be happy. While the writing indicates that Jack and Kate will wind up together, Jack and Juliet made a more convincing couple.

Claire's fate is the cliffhanger that ends the episode. Since her house was attacked, some have theorized that they are pulling a "Sixth Sense" by having Claire be dead already. Miles' interest in Claire and her baby is the strongest hint of that, but it may be just a red herring. This seems unlikely as it has been done many times before and would be hard to earn a satisfying resolution to that.

A more interesting venue would be the things she saw. A cut scene from the previous episode was Claire having some vision just before the mercenaries blew up her house. In this episode she mentions not "seeing things" anymore, which gets the attention of Miles.

The imagery of Miles with the hood over his head is clearly a call back to Charlie, but why that is isn't clear yet. Are we to believe they'll be a couple or will he make some contact with Charlie?

After the ambush of the mercenaries, to see five come out and only one is limping is a major disappointment. If anything, Keamy should've been the last man standing. This could imply some more rules Ben and Widmore are following, where he only sent the Monster to wound the men, but that cheapens the original action of Ben, having lost his daughter, unleashing hell as his last route out of the situation. However, it's likely that they have some degree of understanding of it, which may explain why they didn't suffer a similar fate to Seth "Pilot" Norris or Eko.

The appearances of the graves effectively dashes any hopes of Rousseau surviving, but that moment offers some insight to how Miles' gift works. He hears the dialogue uttered by Rousseau and Karl in their last moments in a more personal and intense manner than the rest hear the whispers. It possibly offers solid evidence that he is genuine as he knows their names without having given them, but he might've heard about them during his captivity.

One thing worth asking is how Rousseau and Karl were buried. Keamy and his men, the people responsible for those actions, wouldn't take time to throw them even in their shallow grave. The likeliest of solutions is that Frank, one of the "innocent" people on the freighter, did it out of the decency in his heart. If this episode does anything for the freighties, it's have them dealing with the actions of their violent counterparts. This may be similar to Dharma itself, where the hippies suffered the same consequences that those who fought with the hostiles did.

Daniel and Charlotte are certainly feeling the ill will on the beach, as no one trusts them after their lie is revealed. Things will obviously get worse when Sawyer and Miles (maybe Claire) arrive and inform them that the mercenaries slaughtered at least six of their people. Going to the medical hatch earns some good will, albeit not as good as Juliet got from Sun last season.

Jin's threat to Charlotte recalls his days as an enforcer for Mr. Paik. However, the decent man who loves his wife and unborn child above all else is still there. He's putting them above all others to get them off the island. This selflessness, in contrast to Sun wanting to save herself above all else, may be the biggest reason behind Sun's guilt in her flash forward.

Overall, this episode does a good job bridging that forceful post-strike return and the end game. Every character gets a little development, which is welcome just before the season's climax. There's only one normal episode left before the three-part finale, which means things should be accelerating once again.
  • Something nice next week...unless Claire is dead...

Finally, the episode we've all been waiting for, the answers we've all been waiting for - Jack survives...still.
    To be quite honest, episodes like this are why you can no longer say "you need to watch Lost from the beginning". "Something nice back home" has all the trimmings of a filler episode with just enough information to make us sit through the commercials.
    However, to it's credit, episodes like this one tend to showcase the other characters a bit more than usual and for that I am glad - I was really hoping that Jack would have shockingly died.
    This anti-climatic episode did get the viewer where we needed to get, just enough info to make us salivating for next week when we find out what happens to the grossly underrated (and hottest Islander) Claire - but at least we can all rest assured, Sawyer is better than Jack....right Kate?
  • A surprisingly strong and deceptive episode

After the dense and surprising "The Shape of Things to Come", the writers seemed to be stepping back into neutral territory with this Jack-centric episode. They also seemed to be following up on the elements introduced in "Through the Looking Glass", "Eggtown", and "The Other Woman". In other words, particularly in the beginning, it was shaping up to be another episode about the Love Polygon of Epic Boredom.

On first glance, the "present-day" elements and the flash-forward appear distinct from one another. Of course, it doesn't take long to recognize that the connective tissue is Jack's most glaring flaw: his need for control. When Jack can apply his self-interested brand of pragmatism to a situation, he's confident and the world is a happy place. (His calm and measured treatment of patients in this episode is a convenient example.)

Throw something at him that upsets or threatens that balance, however, and Jack begins to fall apart. Juliet admits that her behavior with him at the end of "The Other Woman" was as much for his benefit as her own. It granted him a sense of control over his own emotional confusion (and the new aspect of the threat Ben might represent). This effectively undermines one of the interpretations of "The Other Woman" that would have strengthened Juliet's character, but it is consistent with the idea that she cares enough for Jack to do what's best for him.

While Juliet continues to have a substandard arc for the fourth season, these events continue to add context to Jack's downfall in the future. Shortly after "Eggtown", Jack decides to pursue a relationship with Kate, despite his issues regarding Aaron and the lies they've told. This arrangement seems to be working out quite well. Of course, the future is already written; events push them back apart and it is not going to be pretty.

This is where Jack's need for control comes into play. Jack visits Hurley and discovers that the ghosts of the past are more potent than he imagined. It's revealed that Hurley's visitation by Charlie was not the only one, and that Hurley has been getting information. It has driven Hurley down a dark path where he believes all the Oceanic 6 are dead. Jack wants to dismiss it, but once the crack forms in his facade of control, it's just a matter of time.

One of the truly confusing moments in "Through the Looking Glass" involved Jack's occasional comment about his father, who has been dead for years. This episode begins to supply an answer to the riddle, and it's surprisingly consistent. Jack's reaction to seeing his father is application of anti-psychotics and alcohol, which is always a great idea. Already off kilter, he becomes suspicious of Kate's behavior (which, honestly, he probably should have expected sooner or later).

Kate's behavior is in some way related to Sawyer (because, of course, it must be), and this just gets under Jack's skin more. Jack has never been particularly secure in his relationships, thanks to the need for control, and inevitably, this distrust and self-medication destroys Jack's relationship with Kate and Aaron.

The theory, then, that Christian Shepherd is Jacob is gaining ground. Jacob can clearly take on the appearance of other people, and Jacob has been watching the survivors of Oceanic 815 (especially Jack and Locke) for some time, all the way back in "White Rabbit". This is actually quite important, because it serves to provide another connection between "present" and "future". The Christian Shepherd that appears to Claire is probably also Jacob. As previously speculated, the version of Charlie that appears to Hurley could be Jacob as well.

This makes sense because Jacob's nature lies at the heart of the island's mysteries, and his active role in Hurley's madness and Jack's descent would appear to drive Jack's insistence that they return. Jacob, in essence, is the one telling Jack that they all need to go back, perhaps to finish what they started.

If all this is true, then logically speaking, it follows that the man in the casket in "Through the Looking Glass" represents some final confirmation of the fact in Jack's mind. Not only that, but Jack's decision to attempt suicide could be directly linked to the manner of the dead man's demise. It would need to be someone who had strongly influenced Jack's slide, and based on Kate's reaction, it had to be one of the Oceanic 6. Based on the area where the funeral took place and the lack of surviving relatives, the prime candidate must be Hurley.

Claire's decision to leave Aaron behind and leave with "Christian Shepherd" connects all too well with the warnings given by Richard Malkin in "Raised by Another". While Malkin's honesty has been placed in doubt, Kate's "adoption" of Aaron and the events of this episode seem to suggest that vision of the future was true. It also raises the possibility that Locke and Ben will find Claire at Jacob's cabin. (Frankly, it's about time that Claire's character became important to the "Lost" tapestry again.)

Sawyer has shown leadership ability in the past, particularly when it works to his own best interests, so it's not entirely surprising that he stands up to protect Claire in this situation. While his roguish nature will likely remain until the end of his days, he has changed since gaining vengeance against the "real" Sawyer. This is the kind of man Hurley thought Sawyer could be back in the third season. The nice touch, of course, is that the writers simply let it happen without fanfare.

Miles' reaction to the "whispers" is quite interesting. If he is some kind of psychic, able to communicate with the dead, then it reveals some important information about the nature of death on the island. Does the electromagnetic anomaly on the island "trap" the non-corporeal "souls" of those who die on the island? Does this phenomenon manifest, perhaps, in three distinct ways (the whispers, Jacob, the "smoke monster")? If any of that is true, how does it tie into the purpose that Jack and the rest of the survivors were meant to fulfill?

That mystical side to the island is further reinforced by the conversation between Rose and Bernard. If something about the island is scientifically able to promote healing, then it should be constant. Instead, it's very selective. If leaving the island is a bad idea, is Jack being punished for leading the charge back into the world? The suggestion is that Hurley and Jack are both targeted after the fact. Perhaps Hurley is targeted more directly because of his current connection to Jacob.
  • You're not supposed to raise Claire's son.

Jack's mysterious illness turns out to be regular appendicitis and the woman he finaly ends up with turns out to be a regular former fugitive raising his sister's son which wouldn't be a problem if it weren't because of the skillfull Doctor he left behind on a desert island and deceased rocker Charlie who shows up to warn him "He's not supposed" to raise Claire's son. Of all the people who have died on Lost both Charlie and Christian are the ones you would expect would protect Aaron beyond the grave, just like Ben's bond with his daughter hasn't dimished one bit because of her death, Charlie's bond with Aaron remains as strong as Christian's bond with is own daughter. None of which changes Jack's mind as he asks Kate to marry him.

However it's not the resolution of the Kate/Jack/Juliet love triangle what picks my attention but rather the subtle yet tender reveal of Daniel Fradays and Charlotte Lewis's feelings for one another, feelings that Jin uses to threat Charlotte he'll harm Daniel if she doesn't help Sun and Juliet to threat Daniel Charlotte willd suffer if they don't help her.
  • Good filler episode but there are soooo many things I hate about it.

-We find out that Jack and Kate end up together...ugh

-then we find out the Rousseau is dead. What about her past, we know nothing.

-apparently the smoke monster killed none of the bad guys

-Claire ends up in distress...AGAIN. For the love of god, will the writers please stop messing with me and leave Claire alone.

But with all those negatives we get a couple positives. -Rose and Bernard were fairly interesting in this episode.

-We learn that Charlette and Dan like each other.

-we learn somewhat how Sun gets off the island.

-we see Jin be badass(awsome) Overall it was a good episode. Not to much is learned but we see some good character interaction.
  • Dreams coming trough and breaking...

This was one of those episodes what somehow had not too much connection with the things going on but still - there was many revelations - the flashfowards - really intriguing and I am sure quite many have been waiting for that to happen. Now they have a it..

The whole things going on on the beach camp.. they were not the best. I much more enjoyed what was going on with the party on their way to beach. They meeting those soldiers who escaped, then Claire in the night disappearing. That really nailed this episode and I am sure the next episode will give us more light on it.

oh, yes we got quite some answers (if they can be called like that) in this episode. I think maybe more important than those in future, now we have no second thoughts that Karl and Danielle are dead. Sad... I am still mad about the way those with Alex were killed.
  • SPOILERS INCLUDED!!! I was a bit disappointed with this episode. While it definitely wasn't a typical "filler" episode, it was an odd episode, which in my opinion, failed to deliver. I had such high Lost expectations and ended up feeling robbed.

As much as I like Jack and even though we now understand the previous flash forward we saw with him, this episode was not "all that" in my opinion. I suppose the problem is that after you have a GREAT episode like "The Shape of Things to Come" ones comes to expect the following episode to be just as brilliant – hence the disappointment. The whole Juliet/Kate vs. Jack situation was not really very interesting - if I wanted to watch a soap opera I would not be watching Lost! I wasn't even surprised that it was Kate in the shower at Jack's place (or Kate's place). The whole appendicitis operation just not that exciting as it was clear to all of us that Jack would survive it. And, just like everyone else, I'm sure that Kate's secret, which she stupidly refused to tell Jack was to see that Sawyer daughter is OK.

I'm also very disappointed that Rousseau, the French woman, is no longer in the show. I really liked her (actually way back from her Babylone 5 days) and was hoping that we'd get to see more of her story. I do have one nice thing to say about the episode: It's nice to see that the Lawnmower Man (Jeff Fahey) is good. I hope we get to see more of him and what made him join the mission.

Oh well, next week's episode "Cabin Fever" has Desmond in it and looks to be a promising episode! Have you noticed how all Desmond episodes rock?!!!
  • Something of a let down, but a couple of modest reveals along the way

Up until, the flashforwards haven't shown much involvement within the Oceanic 6. We know that Sun and Hurley seem to have broken away; we knows Hurley's now institutionalized, and in the last episode, we saw the real reason Sayid has become Ben's hitman. About the only thing that's been unclear is what has been leading Jack from the stable person we saw in 'The Beginning of the End' and 'Eggtown' to the tottering wreck he was in 'Through the Looking Glass' It's even harder to believe him from the opening scenes of this episode, where he seems to be playing house with Kate and Aaron, more at peace than he's ever been at any time on the series.
    But as everybody who's been watching the show by now knows, Jack is his own worst enemy. His compulsive need to fix things lead and need to constantly do better have shaped him all this way. All his life he has been under the strain of being Christian's son, and he has loved and hated his father for it. Maybe he thought that on the island he could get away from it, but as we've seen repeatedly, Christian is still a presence on the island. Now, not surprisingly, the pressure of his father is what leads to him destroying the first really good thing he's had in his life. Even after all the things he saw on the island, he still can't accept the evidence of his eyes. He'll only get there after he completely destroys himself.

All of this is accelerated by a visit to Hurley, who in the years between his return to Santa Rosa really seems to have lost any impetus to help himself. He is now convinced that everyone on the island is dead, including Jack , Kate and himself. It's hard to argue when you know that he's seeing his own ghosts --- the difference is, he now believes them. Jack tries to stave off his own problems by proposing to Kate, but all that does is hasten his own degeneration. In a sense, we saw Jack destroy his marriage to Sarah because he couldn't let things go, and he essentially does the same thing involving Kate. It's hard to figure out what kind of promise she's keeping for Sawyer, but his mere mention seems to completely unseat the foundation of their relationship. (This is supremely ironic considering what will happen when Jack does return to the island)

In the here and now, the major action doesn't have a lot of suspense. Jack's suddenly coming down with appendicitis isn't much of a cliffhanger, considering that the very flashforward demonstrates that he will survive it. What is far more telling is how much Jack tries to control even his own surgery. There is something very telling in the fact that even though Juliet is performing the operation, he still wants Kate to be in the room. Indeed, Bernard has to chloroform him for anything constructive to happen. Equally telling is what Rose has picked up (and what might have concerned the fans as well). If nobody on the island has gotten sick, and the healing process is accelerated, why did Jack's appendix suddenly become infected at such a critical point? We know the island won't let him die, but it's becoming clear that it also doesn't want to let him leave.

Meanwhile, in the jungle, Sawyer is leading his own group of people back to the beach. He seems determined to protect Claire and Aaron from something--- as if he knows there's even more danger out there for her. (Then again, a smoke monster and a bloodthirsty band of mercenaries is pretty dangerous on its own.) He runs into Keamy and the mercenaries, who are bloodied, but not completely broken. (Widmore must be paying them millions to keep this up). But it's all futile, because in the end, he loses Claire in one of the more shocking scenes of the episode. Claire wakes in the middle of the night to see Christian holding Aaron, something that would be difficult for a ghost to do. Claire says "Dad?", we get a scene break, and when daylight comes Claire is gone, and she's abandoned Aaron. There was a popular theory on the net that everyone thought Claire might have died while in the barracks. Since we now know that this is not the case, the question arises: why would the island choose to separate Claire from her baby? Why does Christian appear both to Jack and into Claire, aside from their filial bonds? For that matter, why did Miles, who said he saw Claire walk into the woods with a man, just let her do it? Maybe he thought that Claire was already dead. Still, a guy in a suit appears in your camp, and you don't let anything happen. Seems like Miles has been taking his lessons on the island from everyone else.

Sawyer and Jack seem to be in the process of reversing roles. Jack will deliberately hurt everyone around him, have a singular obsession that rules him, and will end up broken and alone. Sawyer is becoming heroic, making bold talk, rushing out to save people. And given the way things are on and off the island, it's looking like Kate still won't be able to make a clear choice between them. Even now as the series winds down, she doesn't seem to have been happy with either one. Perhaps her final choice will come down to Aaron. 'Something Nice Back Home' is a pretty good episode, and given the information that we get, we can't exactly classify it as a filler. There were some great dialogue between Miles and Sawyer (a match made in snark heaven) a little revelation about Charlotte that makes Jin reveal his brutal side yet again, and all those Jack and Kate shippers must have loved the flashforwards. Still, considering that the main action seems to be happening in the jungle and back on the freighter (what the hell have Sayid and Desmond been doing the last two episodes?) I can't help that it feels a bit less developed than the rest of Season 4. Jack may be tottering on the brink of his sanity, but he doesn't know that the real craziness is still to come.
    My score:8.5
  • Good but I have expected better it to be :)

Quite goog episode. But I don't like using the term "quite" when I review any of the LOST episodes. I'm glad that in this and previous one there was "some" Sawyer's part. I am a bit bored with all of those Jack centric episodes. I like him, but I would like to find out something about the others. And I found one thing pretty funny. In Jack's flashforward episode we could see his stomach and... there were no signs on Juliet's surgery. I hope next episode would be more 'fresh'. And I am waiting for some further information about Sawyer's and other heros' decision to stay on the island.
< 1 2 3